Speaker 1: Call Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome to it could happen here, a podcast about how it's happened here and it continues to happen here. Sorry about that, but we're not changing the name of the podcast, you know, because we're not anyway. I got Jams stout with me, I got Garrison Davis with me. Woot woot, huzzah.
Speaker 3: So the past few weeks, myself is as well as probably everyone else on this call, has been getting a lot of questions from listeners via the various social media apps that we damage ourselves by logging into on a much more than needed frequent basis. But one question that's been kind of on a lot of people's minds and something that we've been discussing as like a group, is the idea of should you flee the country? Is the party over? Do we need to use the time we have now to get out? The Trump administration is cracking down on a whole bunch of groups of already marginalized people, people with fewer resources, immigrants, people who are here for asylum, trans people, queer people in general. It's getting pretty scary out there, and the thought crosses your mind, maybe there's somewhere else that's better. And this has always been a tough question for us to kind of think about because we don't want to like inspire panic. That's not the purpose of what we do here.
Speaker 2: You should try to spread calm when times are bad if you can.
Speaker 3: But the situation politically in the country and in many parts of the world right now is extremely fraud and it does feel closer towards like the bad nightmare scenario than kind of I've ever thought it has before. So it's so it's a really tough question. Yeah, And I think what we're going to be doing this episode is just kind of talking about this question and our thoughts around you know, various responses to this line of thought, and I guess Robert kind of has a baseline like, kind of quasi answer that I think we can use as a jumping off point.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're someone who is being targeted, you know, or in a community of people who are being targeted, you know, you're a naturalized citizen, your hair on a green card, you're trans, you're any any of the many different groups of people that are being targeted right now, and you have the opportunity to leave, and you think that that's the right thing for you, then you should do it. You shouldn't feel bad about it. You know, if you've got a job that is in demand in other countries and you know the process and can get start the process to like get residency somewhere else and work somewhere else, and you know, make your life work that way, then I don't think you should feel bad about doing that. If that's what you decide is the right thing for you. That said, it's not, it's just simply not going to be a realistic possibility for most people. What is more realistic for a lot of people is, for example, moving from states where the risk is higher to states where maybe the risk is lower. Hard to say how long the risk will be lower, you know, but I, you know, I certainly that's more achievable for a lot of people than getting set up in a foreign country, as James will talk about, if your hope is just I'm going to try to go somewhere else like Europe or whatever as an asylum seeker. As again, James will go into more detail on life ain't easy for asylum seekers and that's not really Again, it may not be nearly as much of an option as you think that it is right now. I you know, had to go through kind of my own process after the election of like, well, am I going to like, you know, get my finances in order and move to another country and basically try to like pay my way into getting a visa somewhere like in Spain, which is an option for someone like me. And I came to the conclusion that like, nah, you know, if the worst case thing happens, I'd rather like die here or whatever. It's just not worth it, you know, to try to get out. So I'm committing to trying to like hold the line here with everybody basically that I love in the world, because like what else are you going to do? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I will just say that, you know, I probably have met more asylum seekers than most people, you know, and it is one of the more miserable fates available to a human. It will if large numbers of people start leaving the US, only get worse. If you're someone who's a US citizen, you have probably not experienced much in the way of like strict immigration enforcement. If you have traveled around the world, right, you have one of the more high value passports in the world. You can you can go almost anywhere with a visa or in many cases without a visa. Seeking asylum is an extremely different process. If you think you're just going to get on a flight and leave and stay somewhere, like understand that many countries will probably begin to require reciprocal visas with the United States soon if we continue our current sort of pathway with a more isolationist immigration policy, and then you'll have to get that visa, and then you know, if you overstay, you will be subject to enforcement. The sense of permanence that you enjoy here might never be something you enjoy again. And that's just if you're able to fly somewhere and so you try and overstay a visa or you try and apply for asylum. I have people I've met in every facet of my life, like I know guys who I met as a bike racer who have applied for asylum. Guys I met a bike racer are staying on that barge in the UK. It is a miserable fate. And I think that I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying that you need to understand that it is highly unpleasant and it tripped you of all dignity, and in some places exists people of of like their lives. Right, people die migrating. It's also like incredibly expensive to do the things that migrants do because that everyone is trying to make a buck off them. Right. I was just talking on another podcast about how the journey that people took up through the Darien Gap who tried to come to the United States, it would have cost them way less just to fly, but they couldn't. They couldn't get the visas. Right. That doesn't mean like if you know, if you have a historical right to citizenship through various you know, people have rights to Spanish citizenship or German citizenship or Irish. Irish is one that many people have access to. You, Yeah, why not? Why not? You know, if you have the financial resources, we're not try and see where that will go. Why not begin pursuing that totally?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, I think becoming a dual citizen if you have the capability to, is a fantastic idea that I will like never dissuade someone from.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I would go so far as to say, even if you plan to stay here, if you have the ability to get dual citizenship, you should be pursuing that right now, absolutely, like.
Speaker 4: Is it's something that you should do. It's often not hideously expensive, and it's something that might be Yeah, you have options, and options are good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I am very hesitant to like openly call for like now is the time to leave the country. I do not feel comfortable saying that for a number of reasons, like some of them are or more political, as in like I don't really subscribe to a politics of escape, even the idea of like fleeing states. I feel a little bit iffy about.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: There's certainly, you know, a lot of cases where families are trying to move, you know, outside states that have more restricted access to trans healthcare for minors, towards more friendly states, which I totally understand. But I have greatly enjoyed getting to know a whole bunch of trans people in the South, and a whole bunch of trans people here are not willing to leave their home. This is their home and it always will be and they're going to stay and fight for it even as things get you know, harder, And I don't think you should write these people off. I don't think you should write these places off. These these places are still a terrain of battle, and there are going to be places where trans people can still live and still live fulfilling lives in many cases. And that is that it's worth acknowledging, that's worth putting effort into. To the point that, like after the election, I was already considering maybe, you know, trying to travel around the country some more. And after this last election, my line of thought was way more on the side of I would actually like to spend as much time in Georgia as possible. I would actually want to stay in this South for as much as I can, because this is like not a place that I think people should be walking away from. And in some ways that does come from like a slightly privileged point of view for multiple reasons, as someone who's white and holds a Canadian passport as well as an American passport. That is, you know, something that I like to have as a back pocket option. But that's something I'm not like considering like at all. Like I do not want to move to Canada. All my friends are here, my life is here. There's certain scenarios where things get much much, much worse, even though things are already getting quite bad. But there are certain scenarios where yes, that passport will come in handy, And that's why I do encourage like, no matter what you should you should see if you have any options to become a citizen in more than one country. It is a great thing to be. It's it's good to not be just tied down to one place. But the process of trying to to you know, immigrate somewhere where you do not have a citizenship is already quite challenging. And we will probably discuss some some more of this later because I think there's also a sort of like onion of a threat of people when you're when you're thinking of this question like which people will will be or are currently being targeted the most, and how that kind of affects the options in terms of like relocation to places viewed as like safer havens. And I like to jumpstart that onion of protect discussion. After these messages, we're.
Speaker 2: Back and we're talking about onions which you need to wear around your neck to protect you from evil spirits. Scarce, and that's what you were getting at, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, Uh, that's done. Move on to the next.
Speaker 3: Topic, where five different onions to drive away the various secret police forces trying to hunt down individuals. Yes, speaking of I guess like the big thing I'm thinking about right now, or one of some big things, is there's different levels of scrutiny being placed on individuals currently in the United States. One you have like people who are completely undocumented, right. You have people who are currently here on like valid asylum claims who are about to get those rights like stripped away. I'm trying to think of like the list of refugees that were allowed under Biden that are now like like imminently going to get their stuff stripped away from the Trump administration. I know Venezuelan, Yeah, I know, you run. Haitian immigrants are another off god, but groups that have that have been able to come here the past few years that are going to be now seen as like quote unquote illegal by the White House and Immigration Customs Enforcement. You then have student visa holders which are already like currently under threat getting visas taken away. You have people on work visas. You have Green card holders, and you even have naturalized citizens and among just regular citizens, a naturalists, I guess people that were born here. You have other factors that could lead to potential hardship. Based on political affiliation or based on gender and sexuality, And that's kind of like the bracket breakdown I'm working off of. So as much as it's like dangerous to be like, you know, like a trans anarchist right in the United States, I think that is that is fairly different than a Haitian immigrant who's about to get like, yeah, literally hunted down by ice, right, And these people have wildly different realities, wildly different options for how they're going to like handle this question and handle like the decision of you know, preemptively choosing to relocate somewhere else. James, do you have any kind of thoughts on this like onion? I guess yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I think you described it well, right, Like I think a lot of folks are for the first time finding themselves in that onion at all, right, and certainly with respect to like immigration enforcement or potentially being forced to leave this country. And I think it would be good maybe to look at folks who have been there for a long time and look at how they've done, right, because there have been people whose existence was precarious in this country for decades. Right, maybe we'd go back to nineteen ninety four in Operation Gatekeeper. Maybe we go back further whatever, I don't care. Maybe we'd go back to the operation whose name is also a slur in the nineteen thirties. And I'm not going to say I.
Speaker 3: Mean and indigenous people here, like for all of America, it sure have been been people that like exist in a wildly different reality than like, yeah, most US citizens, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where, Yes, this country is predicated on the genocide of indigenous people.
Speaker 3: Well, and even in the ways that they're the like continue to live here. It's it's like a different world from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that genocide is ongoing, Like, it's not it's not a thing that stopped. Yeah, it's not a historical thing. It's the thing that exists. As long as this country exists. I would look to those people, right, Like you said, Garrison, Indigenous communities, Indigenous people continue to exist in this country despite the best efforts of this country to eradicate them. Undocumented communities, right, Migrant communities of mixed status have continued to exist for a very long time. And like, the way that they have got through this is together, and that's the way that we will get through this too. When there have been threats to migrant communities, migrant communities have shown up for each other, right, they're doing that right now. You see groups like Del Barrio in San Diego, right like going around announcing when there are ice presence of ICE officers in the neighborhood. The way that they have gone through it is through other people in positions of procarity, showing up for one another and taking care of one another. And if that is a new position for you, if finding yourself like further along the intersectional matrix of oppression is new for you, then like it's scary. I do understand that that procurity is petrifying, but understand that communities and people have been here for a long time and look at how they've got through it. And in queer communities too to a degree, have been persecuted in this country for a very long time and have developed ways of not just like existing, but also like continuing to center joy and experience joy and not just like live in fear, because I think if you live in fear, like you've kind of given up to a degree, Oh you've let them win. To agree, I should say, like, I do understand that being new to this is petrifying for people, and like I don't want to just say like, oh, you shouldn't be scared, or you know, you should look at at how migrant communities have taken care of one another, but like now is the time to begin establishing solidarity as well. So like those communities which have been precarious for some time, they're not closed spaces, right, Like you can be in solidarity with them and you can learn from them, And I think that now is the time to do that. Like, now is the time to build stronger links. If you're really worried about things being really bad in this country and you have good reason to be right, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, shit's fucked up and bullshit, yeah it's really fucking bad, really bad. Yeah, Like you know, we're sending people to labor camps. If you're scared, panicking thinking I got to get out of here, I get you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I think the thing that you should be doing, regardless of who you are, is you should be giving yourself options. H you should be increasing the amount of options that you have. And like, that is something that is never a bad idea, That is something that you could never do too early. It's something that you should have already been doing. Frankly, like I've been advocating for people to get passports, including an American passport, because that doesn't make it easier to leave the country. You should be getting that, and it's going to be harder, especially if you're trends now, to get a passport that matches what you look like, right, But this is still something I think is worth doing because it gives you an option, and you should be increasing the amount of options you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, yeah, it's never a bad thing. And like that community structure is an option too, Like people showing up for you and you showed up for them, that is one of your options. Don't forget that. And like that will also bring you join You will feel safer when you like we were supposed to live in communities, and like I you know, I've seen a lot of people in very difficult circumstances. And one of the Curtish guys once said to me in the in the desert, he was like, whatever we do, we do together. And I thought that was very profound because they were at that time like dancing around a fire in the midst of what was like an open air concentration camp. You know, but if you can find a community and you can find a way to continue to experience joy, then I promise that things won't be as bad as they seem right now.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Within the Kurdish Shrina movement, there's a phrase that is commonly used a slogan. You could say, I guess in Kurdish you would say betshwudan Jian means resistance is life. And we should remember that for whole groups of people, many of whom we've featured here, if they had all just left, they would no longer exist in the way that they exist now.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Kurdish people have been oppressed by various states for centuries, right, Turkish, Iraqi, Iranian and Syrian. They've been subject to genocidal violence, and they've still remained there, right, and they've continued to fight against that state oppression, and they've created something beautiful today as a result that we can see in Raja. But the same is true of the Quran and Kareni people we've spoken to in right. They decided to remain rather than to leave, and in doing so that they created a culture that was based on resistance and that resisted the ability of the state to exercise a monopoly on violence and to determine their outcomes. And I think we should look to those examples as we consider, like, what does it mean if the state becomes more hostile.
Speaker 3: Here something that like I think I think Robert said in our work group chat, which thankfully has not been turned into an Atlantic article.
Speaker 2: I did invite Pete Hegseeth, so we'll see if he HAPs in. You know, he's rejected us all the good times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're trying to add the Atlantic editor in chief year, he.
Speaker 2: Is not welcome. He's absolutely not welcome.
Speaker 4: That guy just need him to manufacture consent for bombing another country in the Middle East on our podcast.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because it is like that is like the dream of every journalist that you just get added to the entire government's war planning chat and he just uses it to d on the Trump admin like you get more info unlike anything than he like home's back into the head. Yes, it's it's it's fucking hysterical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could have had four years and maybe no maybe any one off chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would they would have They would have accidentally invited a different journalist. It was going to happen eventually, but yeah.
Speaker 3: But something Robert said in our chat is that like if you already had like plans or the ability to move to a different country of your choosing, then yeah, why not, right, Like if if if you already were thinking about moving to Germany, which is very funny to say now, right, but if you already had plans and you had the ability to do that, then then sure that's something that that you should that that you should like consider. If you do not already have pre existing plans and means, maybe it's not something to put all of your effort into doing right now, because that is such a massive undertaking in general, and and not everyone has that option, and there's to be people stuck here, and you know, part of like my thinking on this is is like I'm in a relatively privileged position. I would rather use the sort of benefits and the stability that I have to help other people that are going to be living in this country. So I'm going to stay here to do that. And that's part of kind of my thought process. On a personal level, do I, you know, one day maybe one to live off the continent. Yeah, but that's like for personal reasons, not for political reasons. That that's because I think Glasgow looks pretty. And if you also think Glasgow is pretty and you want to move there, then that's fine. But I guess, like the politics of escape, I do find a little bit troubling in some ways, and I guess I would like to talk about that a little bit more after this at break.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back.
Speaker 3: James made a horrible face when I when I complimented Scotland. What was up with that?
Speaker 4: When you said glass Goal? Like, so Glasgow not not a city that's traditionally like aesthetically prized.
Speaker 3: I guess, uh, okay, well that's that's maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, Edinburgh is where if I was going to go to Scotland I probably am.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to live in the Harry Potter Town. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It existed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is rude, Garrison.
Speaker 2: Don't take that away from Edinburgh. Don't give her that.
Speaker 3: All the coffee shops are like fucking wizard themes. Now, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: You haven't been to Edinburgh, don't tell me that ship.
Speaker 3: I've seen your travel pictures, Robert.
Speaker 2: I'm they were mostly hard liquor themed.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fair, you can Edinburgh is a nice city. Glasgow is a nice city. You can joy, you can enjoy it, but stopped by Karla on your way down there. My family are from.
Speaker 2: My favorite Glasgow fact is that there's a beverage called Buckfast that is twenty percent alcohol mineral wine made by monks that has as much coffee as a red bull, And in Glasgow, Scotland, for a significant period of time, roughly one percent of all violent crimes were committed with the bottle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bucky is it's a whole subculture.
Speaker 2: Buckfast gets you fucked fast, That's right, folks.
Speaker 3: So a term I've used for like the past few years to like discuss this, to discuss this question of like can you like outrun American fascism is the politics of escape. And for a while I really was vocally opposed to this sort of politics because it felt like the entire world was going through a global far right power grap and no matter where you run, you can't really get away from it. And now kind of curiously, you know, some of this is still happening, right, you can look at the AfD in Germany. But some of what's happened with this Trump administration has almost weakened a degree of like this global far right power grab. Like for a long time it looked like the Conservative Party of Canada was about to just completely take control over the whole over the whole country due to like be pent up frustration over Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party. And now due to the actions of the Trump administration, the Liberals have retaken a significant portion of like popular support and are probably gonna do a big sweep in the general election. That's going to happen, I'm guessing next month with the new Prime Minister like about about to call one, which makes sense because he should call one at the at the peak of support for the Liberal Party. Yeah, after the Conservatives have taken like a twelve to seventeen point depth depending which pool you use. So for a while I was like, it doesn't even really make sense to flee to Canada because Canada is right on the coattails of America. Canadian politics are kind of historically but like ten years delayed from American politics, and now the new drum administration is kind of thrown a curveball in this. British politics are always really hard for me to diagnose because all of their parties there are pretty wacky in my mind. Oh, like, you know, what the Tories have been doing has been extremely worrying. Like the NHS, like trans stuff is pretty bad. Now that the you know, Labor Party is in, it's hard for me to figure out kind of where the country is going because this Labor Party is a pretty conservative labor party. But like this idea of like being able to outrun American fascism is still something I find like unconvincing. I guess, like you can't fully run away from all of these problems, and there may be certain people that it's still like makes sense to start making these moves just to start planning for that option, right, I am pro options, even if this idea of like total escape still find trouble. Yeah, and anyone else making a kind of thoughts on this on this saw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like as goes to US, goes the world, right, And but that is changing. But like maybe I think if it gets to the point where large numbers of people are fleeing the US, we might see some of that same anti migrant rhetoric that we've seen in the US in even relatively liberal Canada, the United Kingdom or other anglophone countries. Right, Like, it's already very hard to to immigrate to Australia. It's not the easiest to immigrate to Canada. Frankly, yeah, I not. I'm not as familiar with the Canadian.
Speaker 3: One, especially as like an American. Yeah, unless you have like a job that you need to do in Canada and you're the only one who can do that job, or you get a Canadian girlfriend or that's that makes it slightly easier, but still not still not like completely easier.
Speaker 4: Frankly, yeah, that is a I guess that's the alternative. Yeah, I think, like I know, like a lot of people who listen to this listen to this because they have a fairly radical politics, right or left politics, and like.
Speaker 3: Or you're a journalist or you're a federal worker, uh.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're looking to steal our stories. Fuck off, if I may say so, But like, yeah, we've all grown up on the stories of people who stood up for what they believed in, right, And Margaret makes a whole podcast about it, and Robert does on Christmases yep, and like there's a reason why they did that, Like you know they I know that the idea of running away and being safe could be tempting, But like, if this country gets as bad as it needs to be for people to run away in large number, it's like the world gets markedly less safe. Oh yeah, you're going to be running for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Just look at how much food the US produces, how much medicine. Seventy percent of all of the blood used in every single country's medical system around the world is exported from the United States. Oh wow, Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: And like, particularly for for like US citizens right looking looking to flee, the people who are going to be able to pull it off are people with pretty pretty extraordinary means in most cases. I'm not I'm not, I'm not saying all cases, but like if if, if you have the capacity to move from from the United States to Germany, you're you're probably not living on the poverty line, right like that this is this is this, This takes a considerable financial investment. So instead, part of what my opposition to this is that you're essentially abandoning a whole bunch of like the like most at risk people. Yea, A part of this even extends out to like moving from state to state. I'm obviously in support of free movement. I've traveled around, and I'm going to continue to travel around. I want to see as much as the country in the world as I can. But like another facet of this politics of escape is that something I hear very consistently from my my friends in Atlanta, And this is something I can attest to, like personally, the most amount of like like local transphobia from people like on the street that they have faced has not been in Atlanta where they live. It's been when they're visiting people in Seattle or Portland. Like you actually get a lot more like weird anti queer harassment in Seattle, just just like on like the street level. It's bizarre, Like cities all have different kind of like modes of operation. People have different like informal like manners in terms of how how you like behave on the street. And it's it's it is. This is something that I've definitely actually I've definitely experienced. There's there's a lot more like open openness towards like certain types of of like anti trans harassment in like these like liberal safe havens like quote unquote, yeah, I've been called slurs on the street way more in Portland, Oregon than I have in Atlanta, Georgia. And this is this is another like interesting aspect which I'm not saying Atlanta is quote unquote safer city than Seattle if you're trans I'm not saying the vice versa either, But this is like just an aspect of like the politics of escape, like especially in the in the United States, like they're there, like is really no like real escape, like there there is no mythical safe haven where you can live your your free life and frolics through the park and never have to face any kind of hardship or like political disenfranchisement. If you still want to relocate somewhere, that's something that you should consider and again create options. But I also do not want to like abandon my friends here because I just you know, have a more stable job, Like I I want to be here for them and and help them and not in like a patronizing way, but in like a solidarity way. Like that's like really important to me. And I think of people who are who are thinking about these same things and kind of running these same questions of of if they want to commit a sting in the United States, I think should also make those considerations of is like you know which which one of your friends is not going to be able to make the same calculation. Yep, And frankly, I feel I feel like better as a person and like my mental health feels better knowing I'm gonna be here with them rather than going to a Berlin nightclub, which does sound fun. And I still might on vacation.
Speaker 2: Oh, you definitely need to go to Bergain, Garrett.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: I have planned three days that feel like about four hours in Bergaine.
Speaker 3: I am, I am, I'm excited. I am for the first time planning to leave the continent this year, which is a little bit scary because re entering the United States is pretty tricky right now, which should also play into your considerations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, the general safety of air travel at the.
Speaker 3: Moment, safety and air travel now that we don't have a gay man running the planes.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, it turns out he was actually all right.
Speaker 3: At bat woke was keeping those planes in the air, you.
Speaker 2: Know, kudos to him. Turns out he was okay at bet job.
Speaker 3: But but yes, I don't know what I was saying, but I'm sure it was really important and well thought through about not abandoning people who maybe don't have the same resources that you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to your point about like coming back to the US, understand that like one of the things that migrants to deal with, even if they get to a place and they have some degree permanents and they feel safe there, is that they will never be able to go back to where they're from in most cases, right, that means when someone in their family passes away, they can't be there for the funeral. That means that when they have a grandchild, they have a niece or a nephew, something happens in their community and they want to be there to help. It's a natural disaster. They are just stuck. And that's not something to like to discount as something that's not important, Like that is really hard. And if you have a community now, especially for trans folks, right, Like I just think that, like there are so many places where, like you say, Garrison, where bigotry against transfolks is being more and more normalized. So like, if you have a community where people where you're experiencing every day with the people you're around, like leaving that should be something that you really think hard about because that can be hard to find yeah, yeah, expecting in Edinburgh because they're old turfs with the in the cafes.
Speaker 1: That's not too.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, Yeah, I mean, this is kind of the discussion I wanted to have. I'm sure we all have more thoughts on this that we will we will express very eloquently as soon as we close this recording session.
Speaker 4: That's how we do it.
Speaker 3: But but I know, this is this type of stuff that we've been thinking about. I know, I know listeners have been too. Because you're asking us these questions. It's certainly annoying that we don't have a concise yes or no answer. But there isn't a concise yes or no answer. I think the most concise one I have is that you should be giving yourself as many options as you can. If that includes applying for Irish citizenship because your grandfather is Irish, then hey, why not go for it?
Speaker 2: Right, Ireland's great, nice country. You'll like it.
Speaker 3: But I am I am trepidacious. I guess about about you know, public calls to flee the country at this point and kind of the underlying politics and ideology of that, let alone the kind of the logistical aspects of trying to relocate to a different country where you are not a citizen, And frankly, I think there will be a lot of countries that are not super eager to take American immigrants. I think Canada is typically kind of, kind of low key been one of these places. Especially if we're going to go to war with Canada to make it the fifty first state, then it might also uh create create some some some tricky aspects.
Speaker 4: You could make it hot.
Speaker 3: But I know if anyone else has any any other thoughts, air them now or forever. Be beholdened to angry Reddit comments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please don't burn each other down on Reddit, like now is the time to give people a little grace and be kind to other people.
Speaker 2: Don't flee to Belgium. Stay away from Belgium at all costs.
Speaker 4: I had a nice time in Belgium.
Speaker 3: What do you have against Belgium? I have a friend in Belgium.
Speaker 2: As an Italian. I think we need to go to war with them again. You know, it's what made Caesar great. It could make us great again. That's my stance on Belgium. It's Italian territory.
Speaker 4: I stand with the Belgian people.
Speaker 1: It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening,