Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the peanut punch? Have you ever heard of the peanut punch?
Speaker 2: The peanut punch? Yes, sir, please say no, no, I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Leave that to go.
Speaker 1: I want to leave that alone.
Speaker 2: Word.
Speaker 4: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 5: I'm Peanut Tillman and this is the NFL Player's Second Acts podcast and with me is always my trusted co host, mister Roman Harper. What's up, Peanut? Hey, look, man, this is gonna be another great one. We have our guest today. I'm super excited. Considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest defensive player in NFL history, super Bowl champion and Hall of Famer, mister Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: All Right, LT, I know you don't mind me calling you that. Let's jump right into it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I want to tell you when I give out these stats, I want you to tell me how does it make you feel?
Speaker 4: And then continue off of this.
Speaker 5: But the Lawrence Taylor Family Foundation, what you guys have done provided more than eighty six thousand dollars in scholarships to different families, provided more than ten thousand meals, and created more than fifteen other programs and events for young people. How does the Lawrence Taylor Family Foundation continue to build off those things? And tell me what it feels like to have put up those type of numbers.
Speaker 3: Well, I tell you it's not me. I'm just a face. I'm a face.
Speaker 4: And and.
Speaker 3: But my daughter is incredible.
Speaker 4: What's your name? What's your daughter?
Speaker 6: Taylor Joones? She is incredible. And she has a staff, which are all volunteers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: The things they do, you know, they try to empowering teaching.
Speaker 6: I mean, I tell you the things they do. I wish I would have had an opportunity to be a.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Had opportunity. But she's she's very good at what she does. And it's a nonprofit we and we do and I remember the times I would come and we have food drives, and I mean.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable and it's good to be a part of that.
Speaker 1: Is absolutely see that, yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, And and I've always seen people do that, other people do that well.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure she's enjoyable when you are a.
Speaker 6: Part of absolutely yeah, And people appreciate that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'm sure she's got that philanthropic spirit from you. All Right, Now, let's pivot and go to a different question for you. We'll talk a little bit of football. If you could have played offense, what position would you have played?
Speaker 3: Tight end?
Speaker 1: Tight end?
Speaker 4: Tight end?
Speaker 6: I because the tight end, especially in this league, you always guard against the wide receivers, You always guard against the running back. The only person that can catch the ball and really doesn't.
Speaker 3: Get noticed is that tight end. Is that tight end?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean that's.
Speaker 6: I keep saying, Man, somebody got in the defending tight end. Somebody gotta get him because you think, oh, he's he's blocking his plate. But the tight ends don't block no more. No, hey, just because that's where they catch you. They put on so and so Kelsey's up tight end, he ain't no damn that And people we'll forget to count them in defense and you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 6: You don't count for him because he's a tight end. So hey, hey, Kate hurts. Yeah right, So tell me this. I know.
Speaker 4: The saying is always want a giant, always a giant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because if you could have played for any other team, would it a what team would that have been? I'm not saying I'm forcing you to pick another team.
Speaker 4: You for.
Speaker 3: Another team, I would have you're asking.
Speaker 6: Of course, everybody coming out of college always wanted to play for Cowboys, America's team, and so but I would have really enjoyed playing with San Francisco. Yeah, yeah, because of you know, yeah Joe Montan.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Great defensive players, running backs, wide receivers. I mean, and I looked like, I, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like a California like that.
Speaker 4: I thought he was. I think he was going to say that.
Speaker 5: Okay, So being a fellow defensive player, all three of us up here were great defensive players. I have a little peanut punch technique that I do as far as how I create takeaways. Now, there is an interview of you a while back saying you were describing how you take the ball away. Can you describe to us and tell us what was your technique as far as stripping the football.
Speaker 3: Out stripping the football? I just I remember when I was in college, you know what, and.
Speaker 6: I was, I was, I was a good player, but nobody really knew me. Right and my junior year and the biggest play I made my junior years when I rushed and I stripped the football, picked it up and went in for a touchdown, and the press gave me so much, you know, accolades except for doing that.
Speaker 3: So I sided.
Speaker 6: I said, you know what, it's great to make a tackle, it's great to make a sack, but if you can take the ball away, if you can take the ball away, man, we got thirty yards to go into it for a touchdown. Show we can do that. And that's what I started working on. And I did it so much that they started teaching it. We used to have segments where we all we work on is stripping the ball, Stripping the ball, you know, And I guess I was called King Stripper.
Speaker 1: King. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, King Stripper.
Speaker 4: I'll take it to you in the right city.
Speaker 1: You Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of the peanut punch? Have you ever heard of the peanut punch? The peanut punch? Yes, sir, please say no no, I'm going to leave that.
Speaker 3: I want to leave that alone.
Speaker 4: No worries.
Speaker 5: We can talk about it at another time. But it's another punch. It's another stripping technique. Okay, I'm you know what I'm I'm excited about this part. What's the best part of your golf game? Because I'm a golfer.
Speaker 4: I know you.
Speaker 5: I've seen you at golf tournaments. I know you like to play. What's the best part of your golf game.
Speaker 6: My game has been suffering a little bit now because I'm serious.
Speaker 4: You just don't hit the ball as far as you used to.
Speaker 6: I don't hit the ball as far as and listen, and I'm playing with guys that wanted the tee off in the locker room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm saying like, hey, yeah, I've been hit the ball.
Speaker 6: As far as uh uh my my. My chipping has gotten really bad. I guess I think I need to go get some glasses. But I'm still help hu and I can still uh hit the driver is I got one final question for answer. Super Bowl prediction, Chiefs or Eagles. I thought I would get away, you know, okay, you know it's all about what I would want to happen.
Speaker 3: Would happen.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: What I would want to happen is Philadelphia goal and finish this off. Yeah, Chikwani had a great year. Yeah, I mean and and and and and uh phill the Belfy Eagles, they quarter back and all they had the great seasons. Hey, go ahead and finish this off, you know, go and finish this off. But Mahomes always seems to have something.
Speaker 3: Up in sleep. Yes, sir, yeah, you always have some or somebody up in sleep. Okay, well.
Speaker 6: No, but I I think and you can't if I think it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be a lot of points. But you can't.
Speaker 6: You can't give my homes, uh the football with two minutes left.
Speaker 4: You can't get.
Speaker 3: Nowhere on the field. Can you give them what two men's left?
Speaker 4: No, not at all, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: You can't give it to him.
Speaker 4: Can't do it to them.
Speaker 5: So how do you feel about Saquon Barkley being a Giant leaving the team going to a team within the division. Now he's an Eagle and he's he's in the super Bowl potentially for the winners the ball.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I probably feel the same way eighty five thousand fans right now. I feel like.
Speaker 7: I got Yeah, I got you, I got you, I got you. You got screwed over? Yeah, screwed over. I mean, okay, you have a quarterback. I don't want to get in jail.
Speaker 3: But you gave him.
Speaker 4: We got some money.
Speaker 1: They paid him.
Speaker 6: Okay, he got paid and you have your your best running back. But if I was mistaken, they're fighting over a million dollars or it was. It was it was something petty, you know, uh to want you know, he reminded me of the way he played this year.
Speaker 3: You remember when.
Speaker 6: Dallas Cobo had that great offensive line, right and they had what's the running back? Emms Smith and miss Smith everybody something like, how am miss Smith? He gets the ball the first ten yards and I hit him because the off line and pushed him there. And listen, he got fifteen yards to run before he even gets back to a line of scrimmage. You know, so hey and what because they're gonna sit there and push everybody Sequan, I mean he.
Speaker 3: And he made it look.
Speaker 4: Easy jumping over pea.
Speaker 3: That's nasty when you make it look easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure that's what a lot of people said about Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: As a player, I appreciate it. Man, Yes, man, that's awesome. All right, well, lt Man, we're gonna let you get up out of here. Man, appreciate it, man, Thank you everyone. Coming to the point, I'm going to get me uh uh some type of one ear ring to rock. I'll never be able to do it as good as you, but I will get my own.
Speaker 4: Ear ring at some point. Yeah, I might have to hook it up. I'm not gonna get yours. It's fine, but that's just only you can pull that off. It's all good.
Speaker 1: Only you can pull that one.
Speaker 4: All good. What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 5: Welcome to the NFL Players Second Act Podcast. I'm Peanut Tillman and with me as always as my.
Speaker 1: Co host, Rome Pop. What's up?
Speaker 3: What's up? Mayby?
Speaker 5: It's good man. I can't wait to get to this one. You already cut me off three times. Let's just get it right to the interview.
Speaker 4: Who's our guest?
Speaker 5: Hey, he's a Super Bowl champ. He's a heart and soul off the West side of Detroit.
Speaker 1: What up though?
Speaker 4: He's a Hall of Fame running back? Up though? Drome Bette's walk up to the pot?
Speaker 8: Up than?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 5: Jerome, look man, you're a running back. You want the greats of hell to do it? How did it feel seeing Saquon get into two thousand yards this man?
Speaker 9: I was so happy for him to see that happen, but I was so disappointed that his coach took his choice away from him. Now I get it. If you say you know what, Kwan, I'm gonna let you make that decision. And if you decide not to, that's one thing. But but let me make that decision, right, I mean, that's the that's the part that is disappointing because on one hand, you look at Mike Evans, you see what they did. The whole team got behind that. They celebrated that moment. It made sure that moment happened, right, Yeah. And then conversely, you see on a different level, now, if Mike Evans said in that game, coach, hey, don't worry about it, take me out. I'm good, I don't want it. That's fine, right, But that's his choice to make. Let him make that choice, right. And if says, you know what, guys, I'm too valuable to this process that one hundred yards, let's not worry about it, and you say, fine, let's go, let's keep going, but you don't take that choice out of that play, because what happens is ten years, fifteen years from now, that's when it's like, man, I was that close to what it was. Our thinking I had this opportunity and this would have this would have meant so much, and then all of a sudden it's ripped away. So I just thought, you always let the player make that call in that situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you think they celebrated it enough as the fact that he hit two thousand yards?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, and that was such an accomplishment.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 9: I just thought that that it was It was not The appreciation was not there the way it should have been, because obviously, yeah, we got this goal. I get it. We want to get to this I get it. We want to be champions, I get it, but we cannot. You just miss these opportunities because they are they are very far and far between. You've got to give him an opportunity just to least look at the possibility.
Speaker 8: What if he decides no, then you live with it.
Speaker 5: You talk about appreciation, you know, with the NFL maybe talking about going to eighteen games. It's already at seventeen, which is more than what me and you played.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: Do you think the the well, the appreciation of these records will that tarnished a little bit once they get more and more games because we already look at it a little bit different or do you not look at it different?
Speaker 9: No, it's going to be different. I don't think it's tarnished because you know, you look at what happened. O. J. Simpson had the record, he was but he I think it was fourteen games, right. Then they go to sixteen games, right, and then now Eric Dickerson gets the record. So it's understandable that it's going to happen as a result of that. And we didn't we didn't put an asterisk by Eric Dickerson because you know, he had extra two games, right, So I think that'll happen when it happens. And now for that short term, oh yeah, he had two more games, that'll be the argument. But then you can say, hey, well you had two more games when you beat that record.
Speaker 8: So it's it's.
Speaker 9: That's just part of the nature of records, right when they get beat, somebody's upset, somebody got a right, and somebody's overjoyed.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: So that's just a process.
Speaker 1: So we're here in New Orleans Super Bowl fifty nine.
Speaker 4: We've all played in Super Bowls.
Speaker 1: Some of us wonder, here we go, here we go, here we go.
Speaker 5: I don't even like that. I don't even like you stop crying. It's fine messing step it on my feet. But anyway, we're in New Orleans Super Bowl fifty nine. We have all played in the Super Bowl. What was it like when you won Super Bowl forty.
Speaker 9: I mean, it was amazing because you know, there was a lot a lot of you know, subplots to that because it was my final game, it was my hometown. Yeah, so it was that special, special time for me to celebrate a career because I retired on the podium that was it done. So you know, my whole career kind of was up, you know, the crescendo to that point. Yeah, in that moment in time. And so it was really special because we won the Super Bowl. But for me, it was bittersweet because my career was ending. This was the last game I was going to ever play and I would never put that helmet on again. So it was it was incredible, but it was still that moment where you know that finality that it's over.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you said that, though, because when when I think about the game. We talked about this on our podcast. Most people don't retire when they want to retire, it's football retires. You and super Bowl fifty, I was you were my inspiration. I was like, if we win super Bowl fifty, this is it. I know I'll be done, I'll be happy. So I'm kind of glad to hear I've never.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what happens you'd already made that decision, yep, all right, And did you have any hesitation to come back any second thing? No?
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 9: I I talked to mister Rooney, the Steelers owner before the game, told him that I was retiring winn a loud when win, loser draw, This was it. And I was comfortable with that in my spirit because I decided to come back for one more year.
Speaker 8: Anyway.
Speaker 9: I had actually retired the year before I was done. They convinced me to come back only because the Super Bowl was in my hometown of Detroit. So I was like, I gotta got back. So I was really on by all time already. You know, internally I was ready, you know what I mean. So I decided to come back and you know, muster it up and put some more gas in the take for one more but but that was it, and I knew I was done after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So talk to us about what some of the work you're doing with the CDC.
Speaker 9: So so I'm I'm very fortunate to be working with the CDC. Foundation UH, and and the whole idea of what we're doing is we're trying to shine a light on heart health, right.
Speaker 8: And some of the issues that.
Speaker 9: Are there are are killers, you know, hypertension, high blood pressure, all these things are there. But there's simple things that we can do in our life to change that, right and change what happens. And you have just taking a walk, I mean just small things in your daily routine, taking walks or getting some exercise, changing your eating habits. These are small things that you can do that really can change your quality of life. And so those are the things that we're trying to bring attention to and we want people to understand that you can make a difference. I lost my father right after we won the championship. He died of a heart attack, and so it's personal to me. I understand the importance of it. So we're trying to really bring that forward UH and let that people see. And so as you can see you see Live to the Beat, right, and there's a website Live to Thebeat dot org slash Legacy that you can actually get some of those stories and hear about the other issues that people have had and the small things they've done to change their life.
Speaker 5: All right, well, yeah, listen better. We appreciate you coming on the pod. Appreciate appreciate the work you're doing with the CDC. That's also. You need to walk more. That's right, you need to you're the old guy. You need to walk more. You know he older than you, right, you need to walk more.
Speaker 8: We we all need to walk, thank you, We all need to.
Speaker 1: Can you let me just do that one time, because he it's a wee. Let me clown him one time.
Speaker 4: Who wins the game? Who wins the game?
Speaker 9: I think if the Eagles can run the ball, they win the game. If it's a field goal game, the Chiefs win.
Speaker 4: I like it. Appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Thanks, appreciate y'all tuning in to the NFL Players second X podcast.
Speaker 1: Rome close us out.
Speaker 5: I will all right, So thank you as always for all of our viewers listeners. Wherever you pick up your podcast was Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio app Continue to give us some five stars ratings, review, click subscribe, leave a couple of comments. You can also check us out on the NFL paid YouTube channel as well, wherever you pick up your podcast at.
Speaker 4: So thank you as always for tuning in the NFL Players. Second X Podcast we out the