Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.
Speaker 2: This is the Command Center Commute Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson. This is the Mouth of the South.
Speaker 3: Frederick Smooth. I go by Frederick. Now I'd got older.
Speaker 2: It sounds very official, brother. So we're gonna start with a weekend wrap up talking about kind of the big news of the week, which is Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 3: Two hundred and fifty five million.
Speaker 2: Do you got that when you played? Though?
Speaker 3: Right, I'm not even close, not even to back money, you know, Warner back. You know, that's a different text bracket. And that's why I got my theories on. I think the quarterbacks should have their own salary, own salary. I think they should not count against the salary cap because they are independent contractors. But I think this is the new NFL when it comes to quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: And so what do you think about paying him specifically? You know that team has been built up, I think in large part because they've had a cheap quarterback. They've had a guy at a rookie deal, and now they give them all this money. Now that the contract structure is a little bit up and down, it's kind of backloaded. Whatever. We'll talk about that later. But you know, can they be successful not having that supporting cast around them.
Speaker 3: I think Philadelphia does this better than anybody. They've paid it guys a year earlier, like a year or two. They do it because think about this two hundred and fifty five million. I hate to say this quarter to a billion. It'll be cheap in three years. So this what they're playing in on. And don't forget Aj Brown already locked up Devinte Smith, steel on a rocky country and just sign a new running back and they still got numerous draft capital So at the end of the day, they are right where they want to be, in that sweet spot.
Speaker 2: It does make it a little more challenging, I think, because they have to keep kind of their you know, they have to keep hitting on the draft. You know how challenging that is. You know, like it leverages them in a different way than they've been leveraged in the past. You know, before they could go out and say, oh let's get Aj Brown, Oh let's play Peylane Johnson. Now that's a little bit more challenging, right.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit moneier. But you got to realize last year's Jordan Davis, who will be stepping in and starting row right now and knowby Dean.
Speaker 2: But they lose Hardgrave, right, this is one of the reasons you lose Hargrave, right, And who's who's maybe one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL. Right, And that's something that I think is again, can you sustain? You see, like I go back to the Seattle Seahawks when they paid Russell Wilson, that defensive roster got.
Speaker 3: It's crazy they started to deteriorate. And I totally understand. I just think Philadelphi is in a better mode. Like we just said, harg Grave leaves, Jordan Davis, the first round pick from last year steps in, so tj leaves at the middle linebacker n Kobe Dean steps in. These are guys that's been in their system for a year. So I think they the prior planning had stopped poor I guess situational planning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it also feels like doesn't feel like they kind of knew they were going to do this, like planning that far ahead. You know what I'm saying planning that far ahead, and you know they have two first round picks this year. I mean, I just the way they build a team and the way they build a roster is just incredible.
Speaker 3: I'm jealous because they did start this year saying, we're going to see if Jalen Hurts is our quarterback because we have a top ten pick and we might draft them. That's where they set themself up at.
Speaker 2: And that's a good process, though, man, Like, that's what you want to do, you know, And I think that's that's you know, I think Washington can learn a little bit from that.
Speaker 3: Ain't nothing wrong with that. Your enemies and who you do learn from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the other thing I want to touch on is just like you know, leading into the draft for Washington, you know, you're not been talking a lot about DB's You said something absolutely insane to me earlier today, You're not as high on Witherspoon. The more and more Witherspoon, the quarterback out of Illinois.
Speaker 3: Yes, the more and more I watch him, I'm seeing a big guy that can't run, that's very physical. I'm all about ball retrieval, I'm all about thieves. I'm all about cat Burglars. I'm all about guys getting balls that don't belong to them. And if you can't do that at a high level in college, I can't expect for you to turn the page coming to the league with better quarterbacks, better wide receivers, better tight ends, and all of a sudden you're gonna become a thief. And then think about this, I'm all about, what do my roster look like. I have Saint Juice, I have the nullifier over there, one guy that's not going to get a lot of interceptions, but he will notify wide receiver. The other guy has to be a ball retrieval guy. Can you get that from the safeties though, Oh, you can't get that from the safe.
Speaker 2: Because when I look at with this one, I see a guy who's got great instincts. He understands concepts really well. He anticipates throws, he anticipates concepts how they're trying to take different coverages, plays with great vision. He plays physical, which is important to me, and so to me, that's all good football player, right, And then you're you're just saying, oh, he doesn't get turnovers. Turnovers are so it's so luck based, fred right, I mean, there is skill associated. But I'm saying, like a parent, tell a line. Yeah you stopped that right now? Come on, you know I'm telling the truth, Fred, because think about Emanuel Forbes. You're your best friend, yeah, your little brother.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no no, I listen. He earned this respect for me. I don't forget. We got cam Danzel on this team who was paired up with him, and I always feel like full ups with the better guy. And it's no mistakes when it comes to turnover. Some guys just get turnover and some guys don't. And when I watch Witherspoon, I said, you know what, let me watch him play against the best group of guys. He played against Ohio State. These guys eyes. It wasn't a great game for me, but it wasn't a bad game for him. It's telling me a lot, Like he's telling me a lot about who he is and what he is.
Speaker 2: But nobody had a good game against the Oule State no corner. Really, you know what I'm saying, Like, I look at uh DJ Turner out of Michigan right and he's the guy Harrison Holy Countary receiver from Mile State. He looks like he.
Speaker 3: Played against his father, and he's bigger, strong than his father, So I understand it. So now what happens when you see a Marvin Harrison junior every week?
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, is there on Marvin Junior Harrison in the NFL every week?
Speaker 3: You know, I think, I think every team has a legit number one. Think about our team. We have three wide receivers that can pretty much beat anybody in this right. So and then I always tell people this, just because the receiver has not developed a name for himself, the last dude on your roster can really beat anybody in this world when it comes to getting open. And that's why I tell when I when I draft cornerbacks, am I bringing him into a situation where they could blossom? We play a lot of matches on I need people. It's very very good with the eye. Now, Retherspoon will fit in there when it comes to playing understanding concepts and reacted to stuff with his eyes. But at the end of the day, not the long his arms, not the guy with the highest vertical So what is he going to do when the smaller receiver started to round him up in the bigger receiver store at the body?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got me off my point anyway, Fred Jesus Man, like, so we know, you know we were talking about Manuel Forbes and turnover luck right, because when you look at Emmanuel Forbes, seven interceptions, right, I think four for touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Four you heard it.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, four for touchdowns. Some of those are tip passes, some of those are underthrown balls. Right. He's just kind of in the right place at the right time. I played with the guy in college who led the FBS and interceptions and was not a very good pro and everyone he was overdrafted because of the interception luck right, interception luck quote.
Speaker 3: You don't want to say his name.
Speaker 2: I don't remember his name. I'm gonna keep my guy. I'm gonna keep my guy out of the fire right now.
Speaker 3: Talk about this. My guy Fords played real levies, A guy that they're trying to push up is the top.
Speaker 2: You don't like Will Evis, so don't use him as an argument. Why you boys?
Speaker 3: But did you see what past he picked off a screenplay? This is a bubble screen that my guy saw, responded to, reacted to, picked off, and took sixty yards. That is not a tip ball. That's not this I replays and this is what I love by man for what he studies. He believes he trust itself.
Speaker 2: Zone player right, good without the like off vision, off coverage. But how's the ability to play man?
Speaker 3: No, No, he's a pressman, dow. He's a press man at one sixty six. Yeah, of grass blowing the wind, but they stays wrong, right all I'm telling you like this? No, come on? Have you seen him? Six 'y two. He has a wingspan of a basketball player. He loves.
Speaker 2: My son weighs more than him.
Speaker 3: Bro, Yes, your son does, but we're not taking your son in the first round this year. So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Listen, I told you what do I like? Anomaly? I like guys that do not fit the mold. And that's why you're a love Weatherspoon. He checks all the boxes, six feet tall, two hundred pounds, look like a football player until it's time to play football.
Speaker 2: But he he's not old. Fred Fred Fred fred Fred. He looks like a football player. He plays like a football player, And I think that's why I like that that quality a little bit more. You mentioned anomalies, right, yeah, we're talking about Joey Porter Jr. He might be the most anomaly guy in the class, the biggest outlier. Right, he's six 'y to two. Legitimately he's one hundred and ninety five pounds, two hundred pounds, big corner, thirty four inch arms. I think people are hyping him up big time. I think he's the pedigree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in love with his dad is pedigree.
Speaker 2: And also I think because he is an anomaly, he is an outliar. How do you think a guy like that translates?
Speaker 3: He has to go to the right place. And I hate to be a homer on this one, but he needs to go to Picksbury. I'm just telling you. He looks like a pigs about that. I would love it, But I'm just saying I don't see him working everywhere like some guys my drug and play everywhere, and some guys they need the right situation that rights like run da Boba one of my favorite corners that cover two in Temple was the right situation to make him a hall of fame. I can't say if you put him at Man and Man in Pittsbury three four that he makes it as a Hall of Famer. So I look at Joey Port and I say, is the pedigree better than the play on the field? Is it about upside that what you said upside with this kid? I need a guy that's ready to play right now in this I.
Speaker 2: Think him and Christian Zals are both upside plays, like you know, because Christian is not overly productive, not overly physical, but you see him at the combine and he moves the best to anybody in the class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does. He looks good and I.
Speaker 2: Think it's funny. Like the guys that I like are Witherspoon and Deontay Banks because to me, they're tough, physical athletes that I think project well the NFL. Right, you don't like the toughness as much, right, you like you like soft, pretty boys. It gets interceptions series.
Speaker 3: You told my guys don't miss no games.
Speaker 2: I like that guys don't miss it. And I'm giving I'm giving Forbes a hard time, but I do like his film a lot. Like he's He's probably my fourth fifth corner in the class.
Speaker 3: You got Ringo because he's the guy that I think he's lying everybody. He's your five star guy that played with a lot of more five stars and just looked like he was going through the motions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you told me this, and like the second I watched like his first like his first coverage cut up. I was like, you said, he's gonna have safety, and I was like, he has to play safety. He's got such tight hip, fast, he's fast, and he's big. He looks good coming off the bus. But when I when I when the dB has a hitch on the turn, Yeah, on something vertical, it's fatal, especially when you're going against really faster.
Speaker 3: To turn their hips and had to pick their knees up. Really, that tears me. You don't You're not a smooth transition. And I hate to say this. If a cornerback can't dance, I don't want it.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, I you know, I'm a I'm a strength coach by trade, Fred you know, by when I'm not in here talking to the microphone. And one of the biggest things in the research is like dancing and rhythm, it correlates directly to athleticism. So I know you're trying to make a joke there, but that's.
Speaker 3: What did myself took ballet You want you is that why your feet or on this stuff? No? No, it could be about but this also where I didn't get a lot of ankle injuries and I got great balance, and that's what you want. Like the one thing about a cornerback, he has to have kit like reactions. Yeah, you never see a cat fall, all right, you got to hit the ground, get back up. You gotta be seconds tense of a second. Like so at the end of the day, if you're not a jilly and you're not flexible, I don't see you stopping some of these. I don't see you stopping Jamar Chase.
Speaker 2: I just don't Jamar Chase, Tyreek Hill, like name any quick, fast, swell schooled wide receiver, and you need to have fluid hips and good reaction. Billy, I totally agree.
Speaker 3: And so that's why some of these guys, and you know, this is what we do every year. Every year we have a draft with seven rounds, and we feel like all seven rounds, all thirty two picks are all gonna be great. They're just not. Like I hate to tell people, sixty percent of this first round will not be in the league in four years.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna ask you, Fred, do you want to talk about your top guys, your top corners, give your top corners, and then how would you tier them?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Because I know not all these guys are going to be first round players. Yeah, some of them are going to be first top first round players, some of the second second half of the first round. How do you tear them?
Speaker 3: Who are your guys mimicking last years? I believe in Tarik Woodland. When I see him go to Seattle pro bowler, I knew it. Get with their coach, you will be good. When I seen some of these guys now he's like, okay, uh, I think a guy like Christian Gonzales, I'm high on him than you are.
Speaker 2: He's he's my second rateed quarter. So for my tiers, yea, I have with a Spoon in the first tier kind of by himself, and then I have then I have there.
Speaker 3: Come on now, Jackson, you did not Michael James, you didn't.
Speaker 2: Have You didn't do tears. I'm doing my teers. So then I got Christian Gonzales, I got Deontay Banks, I got shoot I forget the other guy had in there, Deantay Banks, Joey Porter Jr. And then I have Emmanuel Forbes in the third tier. But it's very close. So that's kind of my top five guys. I can see you're upset about that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just saying it just told me that you just so how.
Speaker 2: How would you tear at Fred?
Speaker 3: I would say, the distance between I mean number one, and I've said this in number seven corner in this draft is minute. It's minute. I can get just as much play from Uh. You love Banks.
Speaker 2: I'm high on Banks, but I understand. I understand your point. Though. To me, the difference between Gonzales Banks and Joey Porter Jr. Is basically basically the same.
Speaker 3: Feel like I can get the same thing from Banks that I can get in the third round from DJ Turner from Michigan.
Speaker 2: I disagree. He's a good he's a great football player, a round a four to two fourth the combine, and he's he's he's all those things. But he's one of those guys at the catch point that I'm like, is he physical enough at the catch pointint.
Speaker 3: At the miss point with me where you and the receiver get get get side by side and transition into a route. I put these guys all in the same tier. I don't believe nobody in this draft is a d un Sanders, all right, nobody's in. So I put these guys, it's like five one bees. Yeah, I like five one bees that can be special with the right coach in the right situation. I don't see as much separation as you do, and I'm not as high on the high end, and I think that's why.
Speaker 2: So when I say tears, right, so Witherspoon's to me is a top ten pick. Those other three guys I could see go to the first round, and Forbes could sneak into the bottom of the first early second. So there's not a lot of space for me, right. But when you when you kind of get to the film, you have to distinguish stuff because you have to say what separates player action player?
Speaker 3: Who is the safest? That's the question of and will the Spoon seems to be the safest. I think because of one thing, his tackling ability.
Speaker 2: He's an excellent tackle. And that's another reason why I like banks a lot too, because they're good tacklers. And I've played with corners who are good coverage players, and you have two, yeah, who aren't willing to tackle, and it gets exposed at this level, right, they can't tackle receivers, they can't.
Speaker 3: They're gonna start to make their receiver cut that linebacker, and you they gonna they're gonna force you to be one on one with backs. And most guys they are willing tackle. His mindset tackling is a mindset that's taut. And most these guys from college are not good tackler because they don't give up a lot of catches.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And so like to your point, like Kyle's whole offense, Kyle Shanahan's entire offense is built around making the worst tackle on the field make the tackle. Yeah, And ninety percent of the time, ninety eight percent of the time, the run is designed to make the corner make the tackle.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And so when I look at that, I say, Joey Porter Junior not the best tackler. Christian goan Zale is not the best tackler. I will say, Manuel Forbes is a very willing tackler. Deontay Banks very willing tackler. And with Aspooner willing attackler. So that's why I value what they do well.
Speaker 3: I value the fact that this is a passing league. Now that's what everybody no.
Speaker 2: I but but I do think and you would agree with me. Those guys can cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not like all these these You said, who are.
Speaker 2: The safest and we're and I think we both agree they're the safest picks. Yeah, because they are the best and most willing tacklers.
Speaker 3: They are, and you still we'll be a prisoner to your defensive play caller and to the rest of the guys on your team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, Fred, I always enjoy talking with you, and I think we got to talk maybe a line next time. And let's keep an eye on those James And was right, this ain't finished.
Speaker 3: This is not over, my brother. We will continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Fred, what are you watching? Hey?
Speaker 3: This new show beef would Yeah, that's the one about the road Rage. Yes, it starts off in roads Rage, and it just ends in terrible stuff. It's just like every episode just starts the snowball and things get worse and worse. I heard.
Speaker 2: I heard the main character is like, like might get together at the end. Do you think that's what's gonna be?
Speaker 3: Yes, But they see, they leave you on the cliffhanger because they because listen, he gets shot by her husband. What I'm telling you, she falls in love with the dude that she was in road Rage with she cheats on her husband with the dudes brother, they get trapped in the woods together they eat some poison berries and just lose their mind. Show it's called Beat. You gotta watch it. It's a modent, emotional roller coaster and that's what I like. And it's written very well.
Speaker 2: Shoot, all right, well I'm watching I'm watching The Night Agent, which I don't really watch. I kind of work on workout with it at night and then it's on. It's okay. I mean, it's not as good as beef.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you're not really a TV dude.
Speaker 2: I mean I do. But I got kids, Fred and they live with me. I got kid but you know how it is your kids older right there? So I got, like you sports. I got football practice on Monday and Monday Thursday, got hockey practice on Tuesday. I got soccer practice on Wednesday. Like, it's not a lot of time.
Speaker 3: About in nagg and what the baby gonna do? Check this out? When you get tell you's where your kids getting older? Now? They just eat and go in their room and clothes and do it like you don't You don't want that, because then you like that is true?
Speaker 2: I want it. I want it, Dude, I got a.
Speaker 3: Relationship with you. They just outgrowing you at the time, and they don't want to chill with Pops out the time, and plus with the phones, with the phones.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 3: It's over with.
Speaker 2: So I guess what I'm saying is I enjoy that that I'm not watching a lot of TV right now. You know what I'm saying, because it's raised by the TV. The show that I am watching not great. But Fred, Thanks buddy. We'll talk about this morn next time on the show.