Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: What an honor to have with this Noural Rubini professor.
Speaker 3: He's not emeritus. When you're you know, you travel like he does. Such a young kid. I don't know how emeritusy he is at New York University in christ Chairman Rubini at Global Economics. One of the great moments for me was with Professor Rubini and Davos a million years ago, where he's simply outlining two thousand and seven, eight and nine to come.
Speaker 2: No, I don't care. The reason you're here is I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking May thirty first, Munich, I mean a hitter like you. You gotta be looking the private skybox on StubHub inter Milan versus PSG for twenty nine thousand dollars. You got two seats in the private skybox. Are you gonna roll that?
Speaker 4: I'll watch it on TV.
Speaker 2: It's very exciting. He's a diehard from his youth in the old world inter Milan. I want to go back.
Speaker 3: This really serious, folks, and it's off the radar right now. It shouldn't be bread sets or who you started has been on fire. You and bread Setster wrote a book eleven years ago whatever. Fred Bergston wrote a wonderful introduction on EM. How does EM affected when I see Taiwan dollar go out?
Speaker 2: Five standard deviations? Whatever? How is emerging a market off the radar?
Speaker 3: Affected by China, US, US, Canada, US EU.
Speaker 2: What happens to your EM? Well?
Speaker 4: The good news for EM is that this time around the trade shock have not led to a strengthening of the dollar, but rather a weakening of the dollar. With the dollar weekends, EM currencies tend to appreciate.
Speaker 2: It's also true.
Speaker 4: That some of these Asian nations are sitting on trillions of dollars of US treasuries, Their foreigners are very high, and there's been some diversification. And because we're dented, how to say, the dollar as a major global reserve currency, given our unstable policies, so people move out of US treasurer and sell them and then go back to their own local currency. There has been some appreciation and that has taken some momentum. There's also hope in Asia. I think that there'll be trade deals and then answer reciprocal TIFFs. They're going to be much smaller than an on April second. That's also strengthening some of these currencies because some of them were weakening because of the risk of a trade war and so on. So the thing is a variety of factors leading to that happening.
Speaker 1: How concerned are you, if at all, about the US economy in the face of the uncertainty of all this trade discussion back and forth and back and forth. It seems like consumers might be pulling back. It seems like corporate executives are pulling back on guidance. So I'm not sure how it's can impact their businesses. How do you think that's going to affect the US economy?
Speaker 4: Well, there are some headwinds coming from trade and it's uncertainty, and there are some tailwinds coming from strong cappacks, especially aid riven and still good income growth creation and so on. I would say that over the medium term. Actually, I'm quite bullish about US economy. I think that because of technology, US potential growth by the end of the decad it could be four percent, an increase of two hundred business points, and even poor tray and migration policy can reduce growth only by fifty business points. So the ratio within the good stuff to hundred business points to the mad fifties four to one, So I think we'll be on the verge of a secular boom over the next few years. So I'm quite optimistic. But then in the short run we'll have probably any recession by your end. There is an increasing job You.
Speaker 3: Mentioned a medium term. You got from Europe to mention the medium term. We don't do that in America. My basic conundrum, ur Rabini yep, is we've got the short term reality within an American political system which you live with President Clinton, out to the long term view of whatever economics is and maybe a more optimistic future. How do we get is they would say up in Maine, or you don't know this up in Maine, or Lisa collects black flies, they get from here to there? How do we get from short term to long term success?
Speaker 4: The way we get it is this year there will be a massive slowdown of growth. As you point out, consumer and business confidence is down. Inflation is going to go corpus to four percent by your end, and that's going to be a significant eat on real disposal income. So by Q four we're going to be in a near recession. The good news is that the FAT is now credibly committed to fight inflation, they're not cutting rates. Therefore, inflection expctitions are anchored. Therefore, once inflation is higher but growth is lower and you have beginning of increasing unemployment rate, the FAT is going to be able to cut rates. But think it's going to be a short and shallow recession, maybe a couple of quarters Q one, Q four, and Q one of next year, and then all have a strong recovery because the tail winds coming from the technology are massive. Guys is leading in all the technology of the future.
Speaker 3: Claims are out there on plan unit labor costs and productivity.
Speaker 2: We're elevated.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about your unit labor costs jump from a revised two percent up to five point seven percent. I got a terraf regime of three percent. You arguably were one of the people that set up coming off the Atlantic Charter, the global trade, the globalization mantra of a lower Terra regime. Even if we pop from one hundred and forty five percent drama in China and we come back down to like a blended thirteen percent, I don't get it is in the gap from a three percent blended tariff up to a ten percent or thirteen percent blended tariff.
Speaker 2: Isn't that insurmountable.
Speaker 4: Probably the blend is going to be more than thirteen because my baseline is ten to fifteen percent for all the world and sixty percent for China. So the blend that could be in the high teens. It's a bad world. But let's put its way. I suppose that is an OVI stariff's a reciprocal and Europe of ten percent as opposed to twenty big deal. The Europe can go up and down ten percent in a matter of months. So is it good?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Is it terrible?
Speaker 4: It's going to something? Is that to destroy the world? Probably not, because currency can move more than ten percent in a matter of months. So of course is the world it is fragmented. The world is the globalize. But if the average startft were being say ten to fifteen percent rather than on the three, the impact on growth is going to be how to say moderate, I would say this is will be moderate. Of course with Chinese a different story. With China at sixty percent, we're going to do couple from China and the shock on their growth and the shock around inflation is going to be significant. So I'm more worried about the fact we're not going to de escalate with China.
Speaker 2: To be an extent, with all of your.
Speaker 3: Political economics neural revealing, do you believe.
Speaker 2: Common sense will come to the rescue in Washington? Well more than common sense.
Speaker 4: I said, there'll be four guard raids against stupid policy like tariffs, market discipline, good economic advisors, fed discipline, and thin majority in Congress. Guess what when the stock market crashed, bonding were higher, credit spreads are higher to always hire, they blinked and they started to de escalate. Two in that game of Chicken between Trump and Powell, Trump blinked because he knew it was a ground fire. Powell, There'll be a shock to the market, so e blain. Therefore feed fed independence was a binding constraint. Eventually, the Peter Navarro of the world were sidelines and the Scott Passings of the world at the upper end, good economic advisors and already, I mean.
Speaker 2: It was boxing by four guard raids.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I said in the same other.
Speaker 2: Times I got.
Speaker 3: I got goose bumps because I got normal obinion. Richard Porters back to back. I mean, talk, it's an academic monk fest here right now. Have you ever done a panel with Peter Navarro.
Speaker 4: I've not done a panel. I met him doing the Trump one administration in the White House a couple of times. So it's a strange economics from much.
Speaker 3: Did you teach Navarro economics at New York University?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, he was at PhD at Harvard, So but we didn't overlap. Yeah, surprising a PhD economics of Harvard. But Steve Mian is also PhD in economics of Harvard.
Speaker 3: So do I How does I got twenty seconds? How does inter Milan be PSG?
Speaker 2: What? How does inter Milan be PSG?
Speaker 3: I don't know you're going to be there?
Speaker 2: You spend twenty eight dollars? Thank you, Thanks for the interesting listen. Wants to know when's a new book out.
Speaker 4: I don't have any one. Mega Threats came out two years ago, still going and all the themes of the book Mega Threats are still very important today. All the threats I talked about are materializing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Manorial, thank you so much, greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Nourro Rabini