Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism. The Trump administration has stopped major funding for some university research and threatens more. We tell the tale of what that could mean for higher education and for the startup culture it supports. Plus, Argentina seemed to be heading in the right direction despite the pain. What does it need to achieve true economic health? And are the people willing to pay that price? And as President Trump paid a state visit to the UK, we look at London's dominant role in the country's economy and whether we just may be seeing some shifts in the balance. But we start with the big question for global Wall Street. This week, as the Fed issued its long awaited decision and summary of economic projections, our special contributor Larry Summers of Harvard takes us through what we learned.
Speaker 3: It wasn't far off what the market was expecting or I was expecting. I was glad to see Jay lean into all the uncertainties in the moment. The uncertainty is about inflation, the uncertainties about future policy. The uncertainty is about unemployment, The uncertainties about the political environment about tariffs, and I.
Speaker 1: Thought that was broadly appropriate.
Speaker 3: My own guess is that policy's currently a little looser looking at all financial conditions than people view it as being, and that the current configuration the balance of risks is a bit more tilted towards inflation rather than unemployment. So I think we're a bit on the loose side with respect to monetary policy and monetary policy signaling. But that's very much a difference of degree, and I was glad to see the emphasis on humility and on flexibility in the chairman's statement.
Speaker 2: At Chairpal more than once talked about how unusual the situation is because there are really conflicting risks here. We've got both inflation risk and an employment risk at the same time. How unusual is that if you go back through history, is that a really strange situation to face?
Speaker 3: Well, it's completely unprecedented for a member of the administration on leave to be a governor of the FED. That's completely unprecedented. It's completely unprecedented for the President, on a basis that many people regard as protectual, to be trying to remove a member of the FED. It's completely unusual for the FED chair to be acting in a context where the President of the United States has called him a moron, and the question of the narrow sort of economic movements, this is what happens when you have a supply shock. When you have a supply shock, it pushes up prices and pushes down purchasing power. So you can make a case for going to the break because of the increasing prices, or going to the accelerator because of the reduction in purchasing power. And you know, I'd say the dilemma probably takes that form twenty percent of the time. Perhaps, so it's not the norm, but it's also something that's not unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Chair Poalse said that when it comes to tariffs, which is part of the uncertainty, that the consensus of the Fed right now is that is a one time price hit. You didn't use the word transitory, but he came close to transitory. Is does he have reason to be confident that after an initial spike up, it'll come back down.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's important to distinguish two concepts of one shot or transitory. There's what we had in twenty twenty one, when, for example, the price of use cars spiked up and the right assumption would be that the price of use cars would come back to the normal price level.
Speaker 1: That's not what is reasonable to expect with tariffs.
Speaker 3: With tariffs, you're getting a permanent increase in the price of the goods that are tariffed.
Speaker 1: But the question is.
Speaker 3: Whether that's going to be an ongoing rate of change or a one off level of adjustment. Nobody thinks, particularly that it's going to be a reversed change. So this is already more problematic than the kind of supply shot people saw in twenty twenty one. And the Chair's clearly right that if you're just looking at is the tariff going to get raised again and again again? That's very unlikely. I think the question is will this increase be processed through into an increase in inflation expectations, which will then feed through into higher wages and higher prices and settle off a cycle. And that's hard to know, and I'm certainly not sure that it will be. And less of that happened after twenty twenty one than would have been my guest, David. But we now have had a recent experience of substantial inflation. We now have a more politicized.
Speaker 1: Fed.
Speaker 3: It's a process that's playing out over a long time period, So I'm not sure we'd want to be entirely confident of the idea that.
Speaker 1: It will be one and done.
Speaker 3: For the inflation impact of these tariffs. He may well turn out to be right, but this is an area where I would have a lot of humility and doubt, and I regard the biggest risk in this situation is being that we lose contact with our two percent inflation target and become a country with an inflation psychology.
Speaker 2: There has been a fair amount of political pressure, as you say, and what the President said, what members administration has said in the challenge to Lisa Cook at the appointment of Stephen Myron, as you say, who's still working for the wise even if he's taking leave of absence. Did Chair pow on the FAD put some of that to rest in their conduct this week? That is to say, did it really make a difference in what they decided and what they said.
Speaker 3: I don't think that anything different happened because Steve Myron was in that room. I don't think there was a different word in the community. I don't think there was a different anything. If anything, it probably made it harder for there to be the kind of more dubbish language that the President preferred. And I think the same thing is true with respect to the attack on Governor Cook. I think that, if anything, that created a need to project vigor and rigor. I thought it was interesting that Governor Waller, who's clearly very eager to be the next chairman of the FED, nonetheless went along with a consensus view that there should be one cut rather than two.
Speaker 1: And I was gratified by that.
Speaker 3: And if the President knows his interest well, the President will have enhanced respect for Chris Waller because of this.
Speaker 2: The decision was big news as week, but it wasn't the only news affecting the financial community and companies. As we now hear from the administration, they would like to change the rules so the companies don't report quarterly instead they report semi annually. Is that a good idea.
Speaker 3: I think it's a bad idea whose time should never come. It's a bad idea because accountability and transparency have been the key to the success of America's capital markets, and quarterly earnings reports and frequent accountability and substantial sharing of information has been central to that. Whenever I hear a CEO saying they don't want to have to deal with quarterly earnings. I think of my students who don't want to have to deal with grades, and yes, sometimes they'd be more flexible to pursue their intellectual passions if they didn't have grades, But many more times they'd be free to drink beer if they didn't have grades. And I think it's the same kind of thing. Frankly with our business leaders. It seems to me that we have had the most extraordinarily successful capital markets.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 3: Who could have thought twenty five years ago, thirty years ago, when the Dow Jones average was only a small fraction of what the Nique average was, that two thirds of all the market value of all the companies on Earth would be American. That's a tribute to the economy. That's a tribute to those companies, but it's also a tribute to our market institutions and the way our capital markets work. That's why we have so much higher multiples on American firm. So to try to erode all of that, who are you trying to help? You're trying to help people who don't want to be accountable. Why are those the people who should be the objects of our affection. You're trying to help people who have special access to company information rather than the broader public. I always thought the idea of an honors fair market was to try to reduce the advantage of insiders relative to outsiders. This goes in exactly the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: Up next, the Trump administration is upending eighty years of funding for university research. What's at stake not just for the schools, but for the economy.
Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 2: Story about trees not growing to the sky, even if those trees are holding up an important part of the US economy. President Trump has made no secret of his quest to cut funding to some of the nation's most prestigious universities.
Speaker 1: We want money to go to all universities, not Harvard.
Speaker 3: They have fifty two billion dollars.
Speaker 2: To date. Much of the discussion has centered on the politics of it all, whether higher education has gotten too woke, and whether it's done enough to combat anti semitism.
Speaker 4: Anti Semitism pro hoomas protests an environment where students can't learn. Why should taxpayers, okay around the country be funding a private university as.
Speaker 5: A physics chemistry concentrator.
Speaker 2: But the President's actions have put into question a massive, long term partnership that has supported exceptional US innovation over the years, a partnership between the government and higher education in the funding of basic scientific research.
Speaker 5: We have had a terrific system of innovation in the United States.
Speaker 2: Raphael Reef served as the seventeenth president of MIT after heading its Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
Speaker 5: It actually goes back to eighty years ago. It started with the Feronda and Vandivar Bush that created something called the Endless Frontier Act, which was really a social contract between the federal government and universities. The federal government funds research universities. Scientific research advances knowledge, and we do it here. And at the same time as we do that, we educate the leaders of the future who bring that advance knowledge to the marketplace. And that has been at the heart of a terrific ecosystem of innovation in this country that has lasted up to this day.
Speaker 2: US government funding for university research had its origins and efforts to win World War Two and led to the development of new technologies such as radar and the atomic bomb. From an annual investment of two hundred and fifty three million dollars during the Korean War in nineteen fifty three. It exploded to some sixty billion dollars as of twenty twenty three. But now it appears that this unique partnership may be up for grabs.
Speaker 5: What we have had the last eighty years doesn't seem to be coming back. I think the changes that the government is making right now are going to be very hard for any future government, even if it's a very receptive to supporting science. To make it reversible, we have to understand that these changes are very severe, and we have to figure out a new financial model to continue advanced research and advancing science, which is at the heart of what we have been successful as a country.
Speaker 2: Before we can figure out what comes next for funding of basic research, we need a firm understanding of what the existing system has brought us. Lily Lyman is a partner at Venture Capital for Underscore VC, which is not coincidentally based in Boston. Along with dozens of colleges and universities and three hundred and fifty thousand college students, the.
Speaker 6: University enterprises are an important part of this of this ecosystem, over a third of our portfolio comes from places like Harvard and MIT because of this talentedcity and the interesting research coming out of it. So for us, it's a really important part of our sourcing strategy and it's an important contributor to the innovation economy here in Boston.
Speaker 2: One of those benefiting from that innovation economy in Boston is Quilt Health, a digital startup backed by Underscore that seeks to put patients, clinicians, and researchers together to address complex medical conditions such as sickle cell disease. Its founder is doctor Andy Elner, who comes out of Harvard's Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Speaker 7: In my world, which is starting companies, really early stages of companies, what drives it is really its talent. People are always asking, you know, who's the team, what's the idea they're working against? And can they build this almost impossible thing that they're interested in building? Can they solve this almost impossible problem that needs to be solved, And so, you know, place like Boston is just a hub for you know, really talented people, really ambitious people. And when we were looking to start Quilt it's my second company, you know, we made a decision we wanted to start it here. We wanted to be based here. You know, it's hard to start a company. It's hard to build a company, and any advantage you can have you want to take. And I think just being part of this ecosystem, being in the flow of talent and ideas, is really critical to solving the hardest problems.
Speaker 5: The key ideas come from places that are thinking in other ways, clearly without spectacular companies that know how to fintun those ideas and how to employ them, how to take advantage of them, how to make products and services out of them. We don't have the economy we have, so companies play a critical role moving the best ideas and implementing them in products into the marketplace. But the basic ideas, most of those in the high tech and the academic medical centers, they come from research and academia that is federally funded.
Speaker 2: President Trump and his administration have challenged some of I think basic premises of that structure you describe funding of basic research and universities. What is at stake if, in fact they pull back from that funding over the longer term. Are we seeing disruption already?
Speaker 5: It's a terrible outcome if we stop paying attention to the funding of scientific research, the funding of basic science research. We really are burning our future. We are really killing our future.
Speaker 2: Are we losing some benefits of scientific research already as labs suspend their activity.
Speaker 5: Very much so, I mean, there are quite a bit of research that has been stopped and research and academia stop start doesn't work. Once you stop something, once the lab roataries closed. Once we lose the people, once we lay off people who have the experience and the expertise and the research we're doing, we lose a tremendous amount. Some of that has already happened. I tell you one thing, I think that even though we have lost quite a bit already, we still have an opportunity to just figure out how to fix the situation and not continue in the path we we just got started. But I'm telling you, I honestly think that a couple of years of this and this is irreversible, We're gonna lose our advances, We're gonna lose our future, We're gonna lose our competition with CHIME.
Speaker 6: So despite you know the headlines of what's been going on, you know, the first half of twenty twenty five was actually quite strong in the Boston startup ecosystem. We continue to see a lot of activities. We continue to see a lot of startup funding, but obviously the headlines and the pause in funding and research has been very disruptive. We've seen really important research in the world of healthcare and biotech get paused, there have been job cuts, and there's just been a general environment of volatility the last couple months. From an underscore perspective, our deal flow has remain consistent. We continue to see these exceptional teams coming out of this ecosystem, and the entrepreneurial spirit and the capabilities and technological unlocks are still quite strong. What will be important though, is you know, in any innovation economy, you have multiple pieces to it. There's a talent piece to it, there's a research piece to it, there's a funding piece to it, and obviously the federal funding is an important component to the research to mention. So what we will need to do is find alternative sources of funding.
Speaker 2: What are those alternative sources of funding and have they started to kick in yet. Lyman says, there's some reason for optimism.
Speaker 6: We are seeing that, you know, there's venture capital firms like ourselves, particularly at the early stages, but we also see some of the larger private sector companies in the life sciences space and healthcare and insurance that can who are funding into this. And then there's also later stage funding. I think a good example is if you look at Commonwealth Fusion, which is an MIT company. They just raised over eight hundred million dollars from Google that was announced in the last couple weeks. That's critical for them to continue their innovation to bring clean energy to this nation. So there is alternative sources of capital. We're starting to see a flow in again. It will follow innovation and big opportunities, and we hope to see more of that continue.
Speaker 2: Although firms could fill some of the void left by the federal government, Professor Reef warns that private companies cannot be counted on to pick up the full sixty billion dollar tab being paid by the US for research, particularly the type of basic research that universities specialize in.
Speaker 5: There is of course research done in corporations in companies, but most of that research in companies is done on our road map of products. That company is thinking that in five years from now or ten years from now, I need to have this product ready. So the research is being done focus on getting that product read. Federally funded research and universities is actually to advance knowledge. It's not for a particular for profit purpose. It's just to advance knowledge, and out of doing that, many of the ideas that eventually industry uses to fine tune their products is coming from university research. So we have benefited in the last eighty years from this terrific system, and not having access to that, or stopping access to that, is going to basically kill the source of ideas that would power the economy for the next eighty years.
Speaker 2: Cutting back on the basic research that's powered the American economy since World War Two would be a problem at any time, but it's particularly an issue now when the US has a strong economic competitor in its rival, China.
Speaker 5: The process of China is critical here because we have had, as I mentioned, the best system of innovation in the world with our knowledge economy. However, we did not have a competitive or like China before. We were the only kid on the road just doing all this stuff. China comes alone. They have a different model of innovation. In America, we have a market oriented model. China does not use a market oriented model. They use a technology domination model. They have to focus on dominating a particular technology. They have all of government effort to dominate it, and they get there, and in most of the areas they want to dominate, they have actually done that will restore our panels or evs or whatever they get there. That model has some advantages that we don't have, just like we have some advantages that China doesn't have. These are two different models competing with each other. What we need to do is recognize our strength and double down on those strengths while at the same time recognizing our weaknesses and fixing them. China is doing exactly that.
Speaker 2: Given the size of the problem and how much is at stake, where do we go next? Professor Reef says, we can't wait around for a solution.
Speaker 5: So I see a long term track, which is figure out a new model, but I figure out I think we need a short term emergency fund to make sure that as much of the fraction of funding cuts the government is doing in science research, we can just bring that back. And I think it's critical that state governments play a role on this. It's critical does theate governments bring the private sector and to figure out how to add funds to this emergency fund. It's critical to universities to contribute to I think there should be a plan right now. That's particularly states like Massachusetts, like Washington State, the states that have significant knowledge economy. They have to start working on how to figure out to have an emergency fund for a couple of years, two three years while we figure out.
Speaker 1: The long term plan.
Speaker 6: There is a journey, and it's from the cutting edge research where it's still a little bit gray. Then you figure it out, but there's still an element where you have to figure out a viable commercial model, and that can take a really long time. There is a lot of venture capital here in the United States with the big spenter capital ecosystem in the world, but we need to make sure that that capital is creating structures and mechanisms for that messy middle before it's obviously commercially viable and scalable, and sometimes that's venture but sometimes it is university, sometimes it's filanthropic, and sometimes it's private sector. But we want to make sure that that is all sort of US based or US driven capital in order to get it through that entire sort of process of development. And you can't sort of cut out pieces of it, or else it'll break the whole system.
Speaker 2: Short term or long term. Ours is an ecosystem of innovation that's been growing for some eighty years. An ecosystem like a forest in which some trimming may need to be done from time to time, but in which we also need to exercise caution before cutting down those big trees reaching toward the sky, lest we put the entire system at risk. Coming up, President Melae of Argentina hits a bump in the road to his economic revolution. We'll look at whether his plan has been working. What is next. This is a story about short term pain for a long term gain. Argentine President Javier Mila's strong medicine for his economy seems to be working despite the costs, but recent elections raised outs about whether the public is willing to stay on a difficult course.
Speaker 8: Over the weekend, President Javier Mile was defeated in a key provincial election.
Speaker 1: Pip Makar.
Speaker 2: Milay's party lost big in the Buenos Aires provincial election, and markets reacted immediately. The peso weakened against other currencies and stocks tumbled as the country's political and economic future was thrown into doubt.
Speaker 5: The Argentina dollar bonds plunging the most in three years, that's after a provincial election, is now threatening to undermine President Javier Malay's national economic agenda.
Speaker 2: By some measures. President Milay has pulled off a near economic miracle, bringing Argentina's inflation rates down from almost three hundred percent year over year in twenty twenty four to just over thirty percent today, but he got there by imposing austerity measures that hit the country's citizens. David Kim is CEO of Argentina based textile company ARMSUD.
Speaker 9: The history of Argentina, there was always political problems when during election times.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 9: This time is no different. Our employees are very concerned. Some are frightened because the last two years we had to lay off one hundred employees of four fifty we are now three fifty. It was very difficult.
Speaker 10: The problem that you have with the kind of reforms Malay has been putting in place is putting a lot of economic pressure on anybody for the little class down.
Speaker 2: Hans Humes has been investing in Argentina since the nineteen eighties, and his chief investment officer of grey Luck Capital Management.
Speaker 10: A lot of these austerity measures that were imposed. In particular, we're hitting the kind of voters that Malay was able to grab to win the election in the first place, and that's the tricky part of it. They were willing to take that pain, but now they want to see something come together for them.
Speaker 2: This latest round of turmoil is part of a much longer story, one that Juan Pablo Nicolini has studied over the years. A former economics professor in Buenos Aires, Nicolini is now an economist with the Minneapolis Federal Reserve, though he made it clear that the opinions he shared with us are his own and are not the opinions of the FAED.
Speaker 11: Argentinian society has an addiction to government spending that really ends up generating fiscal deficits. That is, the government typically has spent in every single year in the last sixty except for a few short periods, more than the tax revenues it collected. As you can imagine for every even a person, a family, a company, if you always spend more than what you make, that leads you to trouble. And that was basically the nick name of Argentina for the last decades, Trouble Economic trouble, and we are now in the process of reverting that. And the question now is going to be whether that's going to be sustained for the next three to four administrations, which is what Argentina needs to recover from the addiction.
Speaker 2: How did the President Mula reduce the deficit?
Speaker 11: The whole approach was to reduce government spending. That was for the level of income. The per capita that Argentina has was certainly too high, and that had been increasing substantially in the last two decades, and that's where he attacked the problem. The first month of his administration, he managed to achieve physcal surplus. Because he did that, then they could also take measures to lower inflation. At the time he was selected, inflation was running about maybe between five and six percent per month, and now it's running at about between one and a half and two percent per month.
Speaker 12: So it's still like very high, but clearly reverted the trend of inflation of inflation going up.
Speaker 9: The biggest problem is that the costs increased significantly. Even though the inflation has gone down, Energy costs have rosed about seventy eighty percent in one year, and we weren't able to pass those increases onto our selling prices, so been selling under our cost. I hope there is a change here.
Speaker 2: So inflation has come down, that means prices are more stable than they were before. What has been the effect of unemployment?
Speaker 12: Un Employment increased a little bit.
Speaker 11: And actually that is a pretty good question, because we are used to think in very stable economies that typically when you have policies that reduce inflation, one tends to think that that kind of slows down the economy and then that increases unemployment. But when you're running at at the inflation rate levels at Argentina wol running which I give over two hundred percent per year, then when you reduce inflation to let's say about only twenty or thirty percent per year, then you do not necessarily affect economic growth, or to put it differently, you actually improve economic growth.
Speaker 2: So how did we get here? Most economists agree that the long shadow of one peron, the long time I'm leader of the forties and fifties, continues to plague the Argentine economy. His populist policies of government borrowing to address poverty and inequality helped the masses for a time, but by the nineteen sixties. They affected inflation growth and above all the size of the fiscal deficit, something that President Mela sought to address with his vigorous economic agenda when he came to office less than two years ago. Argentina over time has built up a lot of deficits, but there have been a couple of periods where they did more or less get the fiscal deficits under control. Talk to us about those two periods.
Speaker 12: So the first one was during the nineties.
Speaker 11: It was after a massive hyperinflation It followed. For instance, the worst month was June in nineteen eighty nine, in which inflation rate was two hundred percent.
Speaker 12: Prices were three times what they were.
Speaker 11: At the end of the month than what they were at the beginning of the month, and that really was a big shock for society. And then that's when a government came that proposed a different path and it fulfilled it. It had a much more responsible physical policy, didn't completely eliminate the deficit, but they were much, much, much lower. And then Argentina had a huge crisis in two thousand and one.
Speaker 12: In two thousand and.
Speaker 11: Two in which the government couldn't pay the debt. There was a default poverty rates. When balloon went to over fifty percent, an employment went to about twenty five percent, pretty much like what it was a great depression in the US.
Speaker 12: And then following that we.
Speaker 11: Also had a period of five six years with physical discipline, and then in which again inflation was there.
Speaker 12: We had two or three years with inflation of.
Speaker 11: Only one digit I meant like eight percent, which again for Argentina is an amazing success. But then the physical deficits started showing up after the financial crisis, and they started going up again, and we went into the same old mistakes of the past.
Speaker 10: Let's not pretend there were back in the gloriers of Paranism where there was enough of a surplus that you could effectively subsidize a big part of the population. You know, focus on businesses, focus on value added manufacturing, focus on education. I mean, there's a real miss allocation of resources that's happened, human resources that's happened over years in Argentina. Because of some of the distortions in.
Speaker 1: The foreign exchange markets.
Speaker 10: You have some of the best business minds playing games with the official rate US, the external rate that doesn't add a lot of value to the economy. If you go back to the passe leftist rhetoric. That'll be a short term solution as well.
Speaker 2: Argentina is certainly not the only Latin American country that's had its problems with debt, but others have figured out ways to come back from the brink.
Speaker 12: The problems that plagued Argentina and economy in the.
Speaker 11: Last three decades were basically plague in the region, the Latin American region.
Speaker 12: In the seventies and.
Speaker 11: The eighties, countries like Chile, Mexico, Peru, uru Way, they were also running very large deficits, and all of them had a very large and recurrent microeconomic crisis. But most of those countries learn the lesson and they have been doing much, much, much better than Argentina. The message is something that you learn in primary school, which is that you cannot buy candy at school if you don't bring your own money, or you could because if you have a friend that can lend you the money, then you might have candy today, but then you have to come back tomorrow with extra money to buy your candy and pay your day back.
Speaker 12: Is very painful for us, but it's a great example for the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Some investors over time have seen a pattern to the Argentine economic reforms and have taken them into account in their investment decisions.
Speaker 10: This time, we're lucky enough to sort of understand that three years is generally when Argientine presidents start having problems, so we were able to lighten up quite a bit and we're actually buying across the board. Markets on the dead side may have only moved ten to fifteen percent, but that's still some pretty good returns on the yield basis. I mean, you've got twelve fifteen percent yields. My assessment is that the lessons have been learned well enough that they can manage it and we won't go back to any of those really bad times.
Speaker 2: So we'll see lay out the best case or long term investment from outside in Argentina right now.
Speaker 10: Wow, it would be good to see follow through on a lot of these reform efforts. I'm curious to see what changes Melae might make in this cabinet.
Speaker 11: Investment has been good, but not spectacular. There were a lot of restrictions on financial markets and in foreign exchange markets when the government started. They've been removing some of those restrictions, but not fully yet. Like there are restrictions on international companies to take the profits out of the country. So in basement has not been booming as one would expect with the stabilization because there're still some of those restrictions in place.
Speaker 2: Many years ago, an Argentine finance minister gave a speech about the painful steps needed to put the country's economic house in order. He concluded that the measures in progress allow us to launch a new formula. Today we must get through the winter. Now, sixty six years after that address, Argentina finds itself needing to get through another winter. The question is whether the country's people are willing to suffer short term pain that President Melae says is necessary in order to find long term gain in a more sustainable fiscal approach that hangs in the balance.
Speaker 9: They say, we are crazy to stay here, but where is to this and we will be here working in the tech side business for many, many years. I think the business owners in Argentina deserve a medal because it's a very it's a very challenging country.
Speaker 10: I think the entire country understands what has held them back for decades now, and they're willing to take a certain amount of personal pain. Now we have to see how this transition goes and what the new messaging will come. If paranism is able to prevail in October, what's the messaging that they bring along with it. If it's a return to the same old I think that will have lost a huge opportunity.
Speaker 2: Up next, as President Trump pays a visit to the King of England, we take a look at the economy of the United Kingdom and whether it could ever be determined by more than just what happens in London. This is a story about putting all of your eggs in one basket and what it can take to move some of them into other baskets. President Trump paid a state visit to England this week. As usual, the focus was on London, which historically has dominated the British story economically and otherwise. But our colleague Lizzie Burden tells us about how that just may be beginning to change.
Speaker 8: If you talk to anyone long enough about the UK, two things usually come up, football and London. When Tom Wagner was looking for an investment opportunity, he wanted both. In the end he got one.
Speaker 13: It's an interesting story because our adventures in English football actually began with us looking at a London based Premier League club. It was a great opportunity, and shortly after passing on the opportunity in London, the opportunity to invest in Birmingham City was presented to us and it proved to be too compelling for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 8: So it's more about the football than Birmingham.
Speaker 13: The football is what drew us to the opportunity, but what sold us on the opportunity was the city of Birmingham.
Speaker 8: So Wagner, the co founder of New York based Head Capital Management, went all in, partnering with NFL great Tom Brady to buy Birmingham City Football Club and invest three billion pounds to turn his derelict plot of land just fifteen minutes outside the city's downtown into a project featuring a new stadium, commercial office space and transport links.
Speaker 14: Two weeks ago, that bridge wasn't there.
Speaker 8: It's Jeremy Beal as the club CEO. He shared us around their new site.
Speaker 14: We're planning on having one hundred and twenty five acre site and what you can see around us is you can see a new bridge which has been built, which is what will carry HS two into the city. HS two we always say makes Birmingham London Zone five. It makes us accessible from the capital within forty seven minutes and you can see the city skyline. Over to my right is where the stadium for Birmingham City Football Club will be built up on a hill towering over the city skyline, and we're really excited about that ambition.
Speaker 8: The investment is welcome news for the region. But why Birmingham.
Speaker 13: It's oft forgotten as being England's second city. It sits right between the two most talked about cities in the UK, with London and Manchester. It is a really really interesting city in the sense that it's going through a transition from an industrial base to one that is transitioning to a modern economy, and it's filled with a highly diverse, very young, very educated, very dynamic population and when you look at that set of circumstances, it makes for an interesting place to commit capital, an interesting place to pursue a very large and ambitious project.
Speaker 8: That's music to the ears of a labor government which is struggling to spur growth that's been sluggish since the Great Financial Crisis.
Speaker 12: Labor MPs are going on the recording.
Speaker 8: And which as the Opposition leader, fearing that the UK may need an IMF bailout a repeat of nineteen seventy.
Speaker 15: Six, to negotiate with the IMF on the basis of our existing policies, not changes in policies, and I need your support to do it. It means sticking to the very painful Dutch and public expenditure on which the government's already decided.
Speaker 8: Data from the Productivity Institute, a Manchester based research firm, found that the UK does not function as an optimal currency area, a defficiency which means that the benefits of the country's monetary policy are almost entirely concentrated on London's economy.
Speaker 16: The key there is that.
Speaker 8: Diane Coyle is Professor of Public Policy at the University of Cambridge and a former advisor to the UK Treasury, the.
Speaker 16: UK is one of the most regionally unequal economies in the developed world. We're right at one extreme, which is probably not a good place to be. And the problem about that is that if you want to raise economic growth nationally and improve people's living standards around the whole country, that growth is not going to all come from London or from places like Cambridge where I'm sitting now. You know, obviously it's fantastic that we've got these extremely high value, rapidly growing cities in the southeast of the country, but that needs to happen in other parts of the country as well, and I think there are actually some quite optimistic signs about that. If you think about Manchester or Birmingham, their performance has improved recently, and that's something that I would link to the devolution journey that the country has been on. One of the things holding back those other cities has been just an inability to make decisions themselves on the basis of the area that they know well, the local needs, that they know, the things that they can tell investors about what makes some attractive places to put money. In the sense, it's been a very long journey. The UK's very centralized. Lot of economic decisions for the whole country are taken in the treasury. The Treasury can't possibly know what's going on around the whole of the UK's there's a lots of information about local needs and local opportunities in doing it that way, and so many people in many cities, and Manchester is the one I know best, have been working for decades actually on persuading central government that more decisions need to be taken locally and that local knowledge needs to be exploited better. So it began post financial crisis really with the devolution deal. That's happened first for Manchester, subsequently for other cities around the country, and I think it's paying dividends because in the past decade or so the col Greater Manchester area has been one of the fastest growing areas of the country. So I think we're starting to see a demonstration of the case for becoming less centralized, allowing local authorities to build on the information they have, that know how that they have about their local economy, and the ability to coordinate better among local actors because if an overseas investor wanting to put money in the UK, potentially one of the challenges is all of the different agencies and people you need to speak to. It's much easier to coordinate that at the level of an individual city than it is to have a single front door in central government where they don't have all the information they need.
Speaker 8: The improvements are beginning to show in the data in the Office for National Statistics' latest figures London recorded annual real GDP growth of zero point two percent in twenty twenty three. The Northeast was at one point seven percent and the West Midlands one point one percent. Jason Wurra is the CEO of Lioncroft Wholesale in Birmingham.
Speaker 17: Well a landscape in the Midlands and Birmingham has changed a huge amount over the last fifty odd years that we've been in business. Lioncroft has seen a massive growth in the independent retail sector that we deal with, the mom and pop stores as you might know them, and the demand has been driven by the demographic in Birmingham, the growth of different communities. Coming in Brexit in its early stages back in twenty twenty was challenging. We found that in the short term for business, for importation, for exports, it became very difficult to trade and the labor market became very tight, so it got a bit difficult for about a year or two. And also concurrently there was the COVID virus the pandemic happening, so that had a double effect on us. However, the medium term and the long term picture seems a lot more positive. So if we look at our region and we look at our country today, we're free to do trade investments and trade deals with various countries around the world, and it just feels that there's a real energy to this place right now, and it's just amazing to see. I've lived and worked in Birmingham all my life, and I think the energy of this region of this city today is far stronger, far greater than ever before.
Speaker 8: That's g Tom Wagener is looking to capitalize on and turn into a profitable investment.
Speaker 13: YF for Birmingham the city. I think the growth potential is extraordinary because we can help spur investment into a city that's in need of housing, that's in need of more office space that I think could use to keep more of the talent that is educated there in the city of Birmingham by making it a more compelling place to live and then providing for a venue of work and entertainment for the whole of the Cotswolds, the whole of the West Midlands as an example. Those are places that are very dynamic and experiencing lots of inbound investment that we'll see a greater amount of connectivity into Birmingham the city and as it relates to Birmingham City Football Club. The opportunity for us is to grow the brand and to grow the club into something that I think is more commensurate with the underlying fan base that existed when we bought the club. It had always been a big club that had never really seen or achieved its full pame ntural.
Speaker 8: And likewise, London, which contributes around twenty three percent of the country's GDP, far more than any other region, will always be the UK star player, but for it to reach its full potential, it needs more from the whole team.
Speaker 16: London is going to be the dominant city it always has been, and we want London to continue growing as well, but the whole economy will be healthier if other cities are growing in the same way. At the moment, there's a lot of transfer through the tax system from London to the rest of the country. That could change if other cities start to generate more tax revenues themselves through their own ability to grow. So having a much more balanced economy regionally is good for everybody. There's often an idea that this is a zero sum game, that if Manchester and Birmingham growing, London is going to somehow going to harm London that's a complete nonsense. The more other cities grow, the better it is for London as well. I am optimistic if the politics aligns and it is a political decision about how we want to organize the governs the country and how much devolution we want. One of the things that tends to hold it back is this concern about the capability of officials in other parts of the country to deliver the kinds of policies that we have centralized for so long. That's not going to change unless we start to do it, and there are definitely ways to address that. If we don't try it, if that political decision isn't made, then we're going to be stuck as a slow growth country and the laggard in the OECD area. But there's a great opportunity there, and if the Chancellor and her successors care about growth and care about living standards, they're going to have to grab that opportunity.
Speaker 2: That does it for us. Here at Wall Street Week, I'm David West and see you next week for more stories of capitalism s