Speaker 1: I've been I've had mixtapes in my mind for a couple of reasons, but the main one is I sent stuff off the Legacy box and I had these tapes like audio tapes that I had no idea what was on them. Turns out they were mostly just mixtapes. So it's just you know, song collections that way I used to I used to also make mixtapes where I would put movie quotes, Like I would hold the tape recorder up to the movie screen, so we would make like I would make a tape for a friend, and I would include like quotes from movies that we love or that we always quoted and stuff, so it's cool to listen back. Yeah, And then I'm writing this thing where I am using a mixtape in in this in this piece that I'm writing from the nineties, like I find a mixtape and I but it was so cool. I like, this is one of the ways that you can use chat Gpt like creatively, because like I don't want, obviously, I don't want like chat Gpt to write stuff for me. I can use him, use him her it as like a writing coach or like a partner in some ways. And so what I decided to do. I was like, oh, I want you to tell me what songs would be on this mixtape if this character is this so like I, you know, if a seventeen year old girl in nineteen ninety five, and I was like, I gave like a couple of songs. I was like, I definitely want these three on there. Can you make the rest? Like what other songs would be on there? And then I made a playlist based on that list, And so then I'm listening while I'm writing, I'm listening to a mixtape from a fictional character. It was so closing, you know. It's like able to like engage in the creativity in a way like I don't know, cause it's like I could obviously come up with the list, but it would be all songs. I knew. This way, I was able to like discover songs that a seventeen year old girl in nineteen ninety five would anyway, So, what would you guys have on your mixtape from the nineties?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is how we do it, like this, we do this is how we do it. For sure. It would be something from all right, I only have that one? Will you go with with one of yours.
Speaker 3: Uh well, yeah, let's go one at a time then, because the first one that popped into my head was the Sugar song that I played all the time from Copper Blue. Remember went down to the river, so that that song would have been on there, blanking on the name of it. Who could Yeah, you played me the.
Speaker 4: Oh you think Paul from when you weren't into you?
Speaker 1: Weren't that into beastie boys, were you?
Speaker 3: No, it's just that because I had the speaker in the back of my car, which is still there.
Speaker 4: Uh that thing that just thumped with the Paul Revere, So.
Speaker 1: You still have the speaker?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does it work?
Speaker 4: I honestly don't even know.
Speaker 1: I have not. I would love to sit in your car and re experience that bass.
Speaker 3: It was so funny because last time I was home in Connecticut, I went and checked the car out and I sat in it, and it smells exactly like it did when I was sixteen. Like it was the strangest I'm sitting in my car again. It smells exactly the same. It's the hint of cigarette, the hint of just the leather.
Speaker 4: It's uh, yeah, it was so weird.
Speaker 3: I love my car.
Speaker 2: Writer, what would be in yours.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously it would just be three live Counting Crows songs.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, would definitely be creative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, definitely because I used to collect tapes of concerts, like all the bootlegs of Counting Crows, So there would definitely be like the live version of Murder of One with some eleven minute improvs ad because it was all like some crazy story and like, oh this is where you're singing a yeah, So I would have definitely been one of those. And then Van Morrison song Yeah yeah, I would have been you know something off of astral Weeks for sure.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: My third song you Know I was Annie DiFranco. Oh funny, because I don't listen to her at all anymore. I just stopped listening to her newer music like basically since two thousand, since two thousand, but her nineties stuff I really still love. The lyrics are incredible, and so yeah, I was a huge honor to Franco fan, so probably would have been one of her songs like.
Speaker 2: She's so funny. I knew I loved Donnie DeFranco, and I did not remember that the reason I knew of her was because you introduced me to her, but you're right. Yeah, I love Donnie DeFranco, so I would this is how we do it, and then it would be eight No Fun from Snoop Dogg's album Doggie Style, Gotcha, and then Return of the Mac.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, those would be no either of those others written the Mac? Yeah, Mark Morrison, I might put something on there from Weezer's Blue album. Oh yeah, if I'm honest, that was a great album in the nineties, especially so I don't know which song it might have been.
Speaker 2: And really.
Speaker 1: Without parents? No, no, that was a fish show.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I went to. My first concert was actually the Hold onto the Night guy what's his name, Richard? When I was like eight.
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: It was so loud.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, who would have known that coming up in just a few short years that was going to be the theme song to your character.
Speaker 1: Jacket for your jacket? Yeah, no, it's so Yeah. When I was thirteen or fourteen, I guess my first concert were like went without parents, like dropped off in San Francisco. Was was Weezer?
Speaker 3: Apparently they're great live. I never saw great there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so Weezer and you're who does anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, it's it's tough.
Speaker 3: Although I will say, what was your first concert, Danielle, because mine was the Beach Boys as a kid.
Speaker 2: Mine was Aerosmith.
Speaker 4: That was the first one you went to.
Speaker 2: My first ever concert was with Yeah, it was with Angel and VICKI and you guys and yeah.
Speaker 4: See the picture every day.
Speaker 2: What's your third song?
Speaker 1: Will No?
Speaker 3: I said, I think so sugar, and but again, this is all if I'm just sticking with the nineties, if it's that I had no but I mean, if it's nineties music, if it's mixtapes that I have in the nineties, and I was in a huge Pink Floyd phase still, so there would have been I did have Morrison, which was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, there would have been a lot of Pink Floyd.
Speaker 3: I still personally think Dark Side of the Moon is the greatest album that's ever been made, start to finish.
Speaker 1: So it's funny like I, yeah, I definitely listened to some Pink Floyd, but like everybody in my town listened to Pink Floyd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy, yeah it was. I loved Pink Floyd. I still do.
Speaker 2: I still I have futually ever heard Dark Side of the Moon. That's it really yeah, remember.
Speaker 4: The wall never heard you never heard Comfortably Numb or.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe like on the radio, but I've never like listened to the album.
Speaker 4: So it's so good and the movie is just crazy.
Speaker 2: What would the pod meets World mixtape be? What are three? What would the Boy meets World pod meets World mixtape? Hold On, Hold onto the Night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked.
Speaker 1: About I mean, yeah, well we've already if you already took this is how we do.
Speaker 2: It, so has to be on there. And then a third Boy meets World Pod meets World.
Speaker 3: I would say, just because maybe uh, just because he's family and how much we love him. Maybe a y Kylie Oh great, I.
Speaker 2: Think that, But we could also then let's expand and let's do a Hepcat song. Yes, so let's do out a Kylie add a Hepcat song, Lisa Lobe, stay.
Speaker 4: And hold on to Them, hold on to the Night.
Speaker 3: That's a solid mixtape right there, you are either hipster dancing or getting laid.
Speaker 2: Of course in this bomb It's world.
Speaker 4: You just have them the Ray Colecord mix mix tape.
Speaker 1: Then what was the second season was like a jazzy sort of like.
Speaker 3: The third third season where we're in the pool hall is the one where it's just the guitars, right.
Speaker 2: And that's very sure. Yeah, that's just Yeah, we'll have all of those, all of those we may need to make this well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the problem is no one's going to be able to play the tape.
Speaker 2: There's an updated version of a mixtape. It's called a playlist, and you.
Speaker 3: Can share it with the size. Where the talking shows are, We're on a Tomcat show.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the talkies. I do too. Welcome to podcast. Welcome to our guest.
Speaker 3: Welcome to podcast will for now the podcast Will for Happy Talkie show here show.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Talkie and your eerie show. This is I'm your host to Panga.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a podcast podcast. Welcome to pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischle.
Speaker 1: I'm right or Strong.
Speaker 4: I'm Wilfrid Dell. Welcome to podcast the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm your host of the podcast host.
Speaker 4: I'm your host of talking show, Danielle Fischle.
Speaker 2: So thank you all for joining us for this episode recap. It is season six, episode fifteen, road Trip. It originally aired February fifth, nineteen ninety nine. The synopsis to get his mind off of his dad's death. Sean takes Corey on a soul searching road trip in Chet's trailer and they end up at a very musical truck stop. It was directed by David Kendall and it was written by Ma Nelson. Before I jump into all of our guest stars, uh, does anybody want to share their overall thoughts?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 1: This was a clunker for me, just flat, low energy. It was just inert, like just a weird episode of So Weird Happening. I just was like, there's no energy. There's no energy in the story. There's no energy. I just even with a musical performance, there's a performance and like love Triangley stuff on the story. Couldn't say it. It was just flat. Everything felt flat, like nothing really made sense to me.
Speaker 2: It was just like, I know this episode needed a blood transfusion.
Speaker 4: I don't even consider this a boy met told them.
Speaker 2: You don't even want to go yeah outside, I just say.
Speaker 1: Sean goes on the road and meets his ghost dad, like we could learn that in another yes later.
Speaker 4: What this and this was to me?
Speaker 3: This was a twenty minute Saturday Morning special that Disney did, which was just a one little thing where Corey and Sean are on like the road trip should have been whole on the episode. And as a little aside, they launched this new girl band on a Saturday morning to show, but to wedge it into an episode I was literally watching. I was like, this is this is not a show.
Speaker 1: This is this is it's bad. It's just poor, like it's poor integration. It doesn't feels like it is a commercial for this band's commercial.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then also like it's you're rehashing the same plotline of season two episode one with Eric right or season three episode one. I was like, wait a minute, we've done this before, seen this basically this set and these characters and the whole.
Speaker 2: Asking a question what are you doing? When are you and then no, nothing, nothing, I'm not coming home.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 4: Sitting down eating pie. I mean it's like even the same complete Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: And the b story they obviously just well, we were paying them this week, so we as we'll give them six lines each. You didn't need it. They should have just made it again a twenty minute Saturday morning special, launch this girl band and then get back into the show. This was a this was real it wasn't good or bad to me. It was this was not an episode of boy Metrol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take it out, take it out of the cannon. Yep, I agree.
Speaker 6: I'm there.
Speaker 2: Like writer said, there's some stuff we have to know. We have to know that ghost ghost Chet.
Speaker 4: Exists, is going to be a thing.
Speaker 1: And that was the best scene of the whole thing. That's why I'm seeing. I was like, oh, Blake and I are having like a moment and it's emotional, and I was like, that's all you needed. Just make that as one scene of another episode.
Speaker 2: I Also the other thing I like is the idea that on the road trip you would stumble a lot upon a picture of your dad in a place, and that I love that. I love that idea that that would trigger something in you that you could discover more about your dad's life away from you. Like the only memories you have of your dad are your childhood memories where you were taking care of him, But he had a and you don't know any part about his other thriving life when he was away from you. And so that's what I'm saying, how it is just like.
Speaker 3: A toast and like a really I don't know what I will say one of my new favorite things in my entire life now is Rider's face as the girls are singing directly.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe you just said that. It was the only moment I mentioned to Jens Jensen and I watched it separately. I don't even think I want and I said, writers faced they are singing. They basically boop him in the nose, and writers like this, and I know he's dead inside, just completely just literally you're gone on another planet.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite new thing is that I want that as my screen saver. Just your face as the girls are singing directly to you. It's just like, I'm here so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Actor like actually have them sing live at least like make it. Just did a karaoke episode. These girls could obviously singod live. Why do they have suddenly a track?
Speaker 2: It was just yeah, it was so does it need to be the whole song?
Speaker 4: It was the whole song?
Speaker 1: So were they on the Hollywood records?
Speaker 3: Were they on the Yeah, they must have to launch them. And because again they you know, I think Backstreet Boys were on uh, Sabrina, you know that this happens. I think and Sink came on a show. I mean, that's this is what they do. But this was not a good integration of them into the show. It was really forced and just oh god, that was God Your Face Rider was just so good. That was absolutely magic.
Speaker 2: By the way, those other bands in Sync and Backstreet and whatever, they weren't on Hollywood Records. This was this band was on the on this is now post the Disney buying of ABC, and this is Hollywood exactly. Synergy s energy, synergy exactly what this is. So that's that's that's it. That's the reason.
Speaker 3: And I remember the girls being lovely by the way, the girls perhapsolutely wonderful and actual.
Speaker 1: Positive memories of this episode because the week was fun, yeah, and I was like, this is yeah, this is weirdful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So guest starring Blake Clark is back as Chet Hunter. You might be wondering how he's dead. Well, I have one word for you. He's a ghost.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: So then there's Sarah Christine Smith as Sarah, one member of Nobody's Angel, the once signed to Hollywood Records girl group who plays themselves in the episode. Sarah was a professional dancer who appeared in the first and second Austin Powers Movies screamed two She's all that like Mike That seventy Show, to name a few. She also played Cinnamon, which I have to guess is a different type of dancer on the OC. She is bill acting today in things like the Hallmark movie Love's Second Chance and Lifetime's Sins of My Husband. And then we have Altza as Ali, another Nobody's Angel member. She started as an actress on six episodes of Michael Jacob's My Two Dads, Oh and an episode of Blossom, but she is best known now as twinkle Time, the Peruvian American pop star for children or what the New York Times called Lady Gaga for kids. There is an entire twinkle Time empire, both in the American and Latin markets. She's almost a real life Bratstall and you can learn more at twinkletimeanfriends dot com. And then we have Amy, Sue Hardy and Stacy Harper. They round out the group playing Amy and Stacy. And we've got the return of Mickey Jones now as Milkshake Guy. Mickey appeared on Boy Meets World back in season four's Janitor Dad as Ezekiel, the mountain man who briefly worked at the Wilderness Store. Can we assume this is the same character? Do we think he's just still playing Ezekiel now?
Speaker 3: Because he was power somebody was powerful sick. So I don't know if I thought that was her mom, but it might have been the mom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So. Jones was an unmistakable character actor who appeared on TV shows like Charlie's Angels, Workaholics, Home Improvement, and Married with Children and movies like Total Recall, Stir Crazy, National Lampoon's Vacation, and Sling Blade. But that was his second career, yep. He started off as a drummer, playing for Bob Dylan, Trinny Lopez, and Kenny Rogers. He played on a total of seventeen Gold Records before he turned his attention to acting, and sadly, Mickey passed away from complications of diabetes in twenty eighteen at the age of seventy six.
Speaker 1: I probably talked about talking to him when he was on before, but this was the week where I really spent like a lot of time home getting stories about playing with Bob Dylan. He was on like the sixty five tour, ye like just but I also remember things like he was he's quick to tell me. He's like, you know, the one band that none of us understood back in the day. I was like, why, He's like the Doors they just sucked. They just played basic blues. We could never He's like, I guess, I guess he was charismatic but like you know, Jim Morrison, but otherwise, like the music was so dumb. It was the first, like a real musician to tell me that. I remember being like, I guess you're kind of right. It was like, yeah, there's a basic blues progression. It's like three chords and just Dan. I was like, so I can never plicit to the Doors without thinking about him saying.
Speaker 2: So funny thinking about that conversation.
Speaker 1: But he was so sober. So he he was always like since I never drank, I remember everything from the sixties and seventies, so he's like so all the other musicians. He would just tell me stories and like, I remember I was supposed to bring because at that time, like right around that time, they had released a live version of Dylan's sixty five tour and I he wanted he was going to sign it for me, and I forgot to bring it to the last day and he's like, did you bring it him like, oh no, I forgot it out, so I don't have a signature on my own.
Speaker 2: That stinks. And then Art Lafleur as Bill. This is quite a fun surprise. You can add another actor to the somewhat unexplainable connection between Boy Meets World and the Sandlot, since Lafleur played the Babe Babe Ruth in the movie. Laflour, another accomplished character actor, appeared on TV shows Mash, thirty Something, Webster, and Soap to name a few, and some classic movies like Cobra, Field of Dreams, Wargames, and Air America List What I Know. Lafleur passed away in twenty twenty one after a ten year battle with Parkinson's disease. He was seventy eight years old.
Speaker 1: What a look, right, has a presence? He just has like such a great character. Look just all you do is walk on on screen and you're like, oh, yeah, that's like the earth. Yeah, he just has this like yeah, he's really but I don't know the I'm not doing him any favors on our show, and I just feel like he's.
Speaker 3: We need to know he was.
Speaker 2: What does he do on Mash?
Speaker 3: Well, here's a guest star. But he came as several guest stars, and the most notable one I remember is when Hawkeye was gifted an entire side of beef that has to thought out. It's the episode where Margaret's father shows up at the Yeah, okay, this is later in the series when they're kind of grasping its draws a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone brings the side of beef.
Speaker 3: Margaret's dad shows up, and it's like they have one where Colonel Potter's son shows up and he's like, you're in the middle of a war, guys.
Speaker 2: I think we are spending too much time thinking about our own Like, if that's a good pitch, we are working too hard trying to come up with our idea. Well, if someone just brings a side.
Speaker 4: Of beef, great. It was supposed to be it was supposed to go to the general, but it was rerouted.
Speaker 3: So now the General is trying to track down his side of beef and Art Befloor comes in to try to get.
Speaker 1: The beef back.
Speaker 2: Get the beef back. Okay, yeah, yeah, this is good.
Speaker 4: How was the beef story? Margaret's that being a jerk was the a story?
Speaker 2: So jumping into our recap. We are on the road trip, a rare continuation from the prior episode where the two friends agreed to get out of town. It's the classic TV setup where the car is not moving, but you have screens out the windows to mimic movement.
Speaker 4: Okay, question, I'm sorry, question right here.
Speaker 1: Just horrible touchy wheel, touchy wheel, touchy turney wheel, turney wheel, tar thurty wheel. Talk.
Speaker 4: How big is your trailer?
Speaker 1: I know, dude, don't get me. When we walked into the trailer, I was like, wait, we're actually towing. This is not a tolerible trailer. It's a trailer park trailer. Yes, it's a mobile hole. Like our writers did not understand how mobile homes work.
Speaker 4: Now, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculous. He's later.
Speaker 3: I just see you driving down the freeway with this giant mobile home scraping along the ground because it lack ridge, and like.
Speaker 1: That is not the kind of mobile home you drive around and what But I guess they had already made that mistake by making a joke drove her home away.
Speaker 2: Michael Jacobs lived in a thirteen thousand square foot house, and.
Speaker 3: One of his understanding of didn't he thinks if it's mobile, get to drive, you can tow it with a pickup truck.
Speaker 1: Apparently that is like, like, I can't believe none of us called it out, Like what are you talking about? Like at all the furniture and like there's streams, it's a house. It's like, wait, how do we tie this all down for Sean to leave the next morning? Like what the dumb mistake?
Speaker 3: It was great, He's so absurd that it was great, But it's play for reality.
Speaker 2: But is this the first time you're thinking about it, because that's what we were saying the whole time, is that when he was Oh, you mean when like when every time Chet would leave, we would that would be the thing that that would be the place that was gone. He's taken that with him. You didn't have that place to go.
Speaker 1: That was just a joke when Verna, no, I think the joke, but like I didn't realize that like it was being played for real that she.
Speaker 4: You're hitching up your house to a pickup truck.
Speaker 2: This is, by the way, when we mentioned moving to Adler, when we talk about like someday where we might move from this house, and he goes, can what if we can we take our house with us, Like, let's move closer to pop up in teen Tina memes, but could we bring our house? This is what he wants to do.
Speaker 3: He wants to just think you actually can do that. Really, Yeah, that's an actual thing. There's companies that will like move your home, right, but it's a big project. Yeah, it's not cheap a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: Trucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So Corey sits passenger while Sean, in a red bandana and his leather jacket, drives the truck. Though being on the road seems cool to Corey at first, he worriedly asks Sean where they're going. Sean dodges the question. This is exactly what he needed to take his mind off of everything. Corey tells Sean he is so sorry about his dad dying, and Sean laughs it off, Cory, you're not helping, So Corey changes the subject. He's sorry about Angela too. Sean' scoffs, how about a drive off right now instead of a previously on I'll just say it.
Speaker 4: Out last, I'll say it again.
Speaker 3: Just a line of traffic behind you as a home is being dragged down the freeway, sparks, sparks everywhere.
Speaker 2: Corey asks why they're really on this trip. After a long pause, Sean says he'll tell him later when the time is ready.
Speaker 4: Why what, Because Corey would then.
Speaker 1: We're going to drop this like a bomb.
Speaker 2: And as the audience doesn't already.
Speaker 4: That's because we've seen it with Eric and Corey.
Speaker 6: We saw this, but.
Speaker 2: Size, will you at least tell me when we get to wherever it is, we don't know we're going. Sean nods, yes, you'll.
Speaker 3: Know by the giant yogurt cup. You'll know when it's sprinkle tire.
Speaker 1: Like the conflict, what is the engine of this?
Speaker 3: Like if Sean is leaving, he wants to say a good goodie and then he's going to disappear.
Speaker 1: We're not going to actually talk about that, so this scene is useless, Like just do it previously on pulling over in the side of the road and like don't have the bad green screen and crappy exposition and lack of like it's like, basically, Corey, we're going to have conflict in another scene or two, talk about it a conflict, but otherwise there's nothing wrong. Joke about our bandanas. That's that's the whole point of the scene.
Speaker 4: Like, so it's not yes, and it's yes later. That's the new the new game.
Speaker 2: So Corey decides to embrace the road tripping lifestyle, and he grabs a white bandana and ties it on his head, just like Sean. Sean gives him an apprehensive look, and Corey's concerned. What Sean explains, if one guy's wearing a bandana, it's cool. If two guys are, it's Thankfully, Corey catches his drift. I get it. The one bandana rule has been enforced. He removes the accessory and says he'll save it for another time. I did not pick up on a gay panic.
Speaker 1: Actually no, I mean I remembered the joke and thought that's what it was. So that's clearly what we were intent we have that. I was actually like, oh, this doesn't play like but I remembered it as a gay panic joke.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: I didn't think it is just douy.
Speaker 1: It was just like it we're just lame, right, Yeah. On set, I think I must have asked the question, like what is this about?
Speaker 2: Right, Like if Jenson and I are getting ready to go out and then we come downstairs and we're both wearing leather jackets. I'm like, okay, but we can't both be leather jacket guy, Like one.
Speaker 1: Of us has to be read both ways. But I know that we intended it is against Okay, So.
Speaker 3: How often I'm curious, now, how often do you and Jensen come down both wearing the same type of jacket? And if you do, question B sub question, who's the one who changes more? You are Jensen?
Speaker 2: And why is it all come down Jensen? Yeah, absolutely, I'm not going to change and kidding. I spent forever. I thought about this very long. This is no you're changing also because I have the anxiety around getting dressed and he doesn't. He can just go upstairs and change very quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alex and I are becoming the same person, but we dressed the same thankful. I know it's ridiculous. It's like we clearly are just communicating each other's taste. So like, yes, often we walk out and I'm like, you're wearing that, Well, we were the exact same color. It's awful.
Speaker 2: We I've noticed that Jensen and I will a lot of times be coordinated in a good way where I'm like Oh good. The dress I'm wearing right now has a little bit of that burgundy in it, and you're wearing a vintage T shirt that's got a burgundy and a burgundy hat. And so we look like we planned this, but we didn't really, So that works. Yeah, we don't. And then in like our day to day style, like my daytime style is obviously very much fourteen year old skator boy, and then we sometimes look looks.
Speaker 4: Similar little similar.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sue just will come in and say why are you and my lululu and pants and sports bra right, And I'm like, oh, were you going to wear this? And so I just yeah, I just put on her clothes.
Speaker 2: Just that makes sense, and then she just can put on yours, and yeah, you're fine.
Speaker 1: Works fine.
Speaker 3: She's like, hey, it's a sweater from nineteen ninety eight, fits me perfect.
Speaker 1: Moth holes. Another thing that bugs me about this episode, Oh, let's start. This is completely ripped from my life. Remember this is the one that I went on a road trip in ninety eight, the summer before this season. So they decided to make road tripping and they asked me for footage from my actual road shot to put into this episode.
Speaker 2: Or the next one you wrote to me about it. Hey sexy, Hey sexy.
Speaker 1: Oh god. But I would wear bandanas like. I wore bandannas because I was trying to I had. I didn't want to get recognized while I was on this road trip in ninety eight, So I would wear bandanas, and I had glasses. I got fake glasses like I went and got you know, like Harry Potter or whatever, like a look of even though they were because I didn't need glasses kent. I was Clark kenting it and putting a bandana on the cover of My Boy Meets World Hair. So I wouldn't get recognized on the road trip. And so because of that, like was my look when I came back, they decided to write a whole bandana thing.
Speaker 3: What girl band did you find on your regular trip?
Speaker 1: Ye? Good question.
Speaker 3: You never know. It could be a whole different girl band.
Speaker 1: How many girl bands were there?
Speaker 4: There's a decent amount in the nineties.
Speaker 3: You got what TLC, TLC Salt and Pepper was PRODWV, Destiny's Child.
Speaker 4: Wow, Nobody's Angel, Everybody's Escape Escape. Wow, there's a poll?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yikes where.
Speaker 2: A truck stop news set alert writer do you remember the set any any complaints.
Speaker 1: No, it's actually a wonderful set. It's outlined the way the depth of it. And likes it better than the one we had in season three. Yeah, this is The license plates are cool. The license plates are a good background, yeah, I think, And like just the way it's utilizing all the different angles, like where they perform, Like, it's good. It's a really good set. And I remember sitting in there talking to mostly talking to Mickey and then hanging out with the girls. The girls were so yeah, they're really sweet and like I remember this week being really fun, very very sweet.
Speaker 2: So Corey and Sean arrive and now Corey is wearing the red bandana and Sean is bandana lists. Corey giddily announces to Sean, this is a real truck stop. Sean giggles back, we have a real truck, Corey adds, and we stopped here. Corey thinks he'll get to Panga a hat while they're here, and the boys take a seat at two nearby stools. Have either of you ever seen Topanga wear a hat? I'm just curious.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes I have. When she pulls it off of Corey's head in the very first episode, she does put.
Speaker 2: On her own hair right, the Phillies hat, and then she wears a beret for the fake.
Speaker 3: Fresh because you're French. That's friends.
Speaker 2: The other was never seen topanga and a hat. Just noticing that, Corey happily greets the waitress, Amy Sue. She smiles at the boys. She's never seen them here before. Cory grins, what do you think? Of course, of course she thinks they're cute. Is there a world where we believed that a woman would not spot Cory and I immediately talk about.
Speaker 1: How cute he is?
Speaker 2: Hey, that's you know, it wasn't even a threat.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's not nothing.
Speaker 2: Then she pulls out a pad and a pencil for their order. Corey decides on the world's Best hash Browns, while Sean quietly studies the menu. Corey pipes in his daddy died. A nearby truck driver gruffly suggests the chicken fried steak. Corey cautiously asks, what kind of animal is that from? The man repeats himself slowly, this time chicken fry steak. Corey nervously says he doesn't want any trouble, and Sean caves he'll have the chicken fried steak the trucker. Thanks Sean for listening.
Speaker 1: On the conflict here. What has happened?
Speaker 2: None, we've walked in and ordered food, correct, do you have there's no conflict at all whatsoever?
Speaker 1: No? No, oh, there's lunch.
Speaker 2: But even this whole setup premise that you two are like spot able to be pin pointed out. I've never seen you here before. Big city, men, big Philadelphia city.
Speaker 1: We're a couple of hours drive from Philly, and of course it's like redneck central, of course, and like it's so different, it's a whole different country. They don't they've never been to Philadelphia, like.
Speaker 2: Jerry Gordy or something like, what what is happening? It's so so weird.
Speaker 1: I think it was just like they didn't lean into Like I thought maybe the point was that we didn't fit in, but Sean is totally fine, and so like, why admit that Sean's his daddy died? Thing doesn't isn't motivated by meaning weird?
Speaker 4: I think it's just a joke, And then I think the conflict is going to belong to the girls.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's why they said special Saturday Morning Special, because it's not about Corey and Sean. It's about the girls, right.
Speaker 1: Which develops and like act too. So there's nothing happening.
Speaker 4: Yah, it's just like there's.
Speaker 1: Lunch talked about.
Speaker 3: Lunch, by the way, when it's delivered, I can tell instantly. Those are not the world's best hash browns. Oh was not grilled right, There was as top. There was no crunch going. Those were average shoe string potatoes that were not cooked properly.
Speaker 2: You know what. Couldn't even save those halapeno mustard from Deets and Watson. You couldn't even save them.
Speaker 3: Mustard is so good. That mustard is so good.
Speaker 4: I can't even forget.
Speaker 2: On our way to the kitchen, Amy Sue tells Sean she's sorry that his daddy died. Sean earnestly responds, thank you. I can tell you mean that. The truck driver asks Amy Sue for some gravy, and she bites back, you don't need it. Merle, Oh, definitely not the same character. Merle.
Speaker 3: Zekiel. Merle is not Ezekiel. They were brothers in a different life, right, That's a whole different story.
Speaker 2: Corey whispers to Sean that biker looks like the guy from ZZ Top and Merle just stares right at them. Then another cute waitress greets the boys and fills their coffee cups. Corey can't contain his excitement. I love this place.
Speaker 1: What it is?
Speaker 4: This is not a boy metrilled episode.
Speaker 1: It is not.
Speaker 4: It is a Saturday Morning special that.
Speaker 1: They we're just saying stuff because like one moment, it's like, oh, he's going to be intimidated by the biker, but now he loves this place because there's is that supposed to be a turn?
Speaker 2: Like what is I know?
Speaker 3: Because the girls, it's not that it's it's because all every girl is cuter than the next.
Speaker 1: Is the point of the scene that like he's scared and wants to get out of there until he sees the girl and then it's not it's just the weirdest we're just way of.
Speaker 4: The scene, scared and.
Speaker 3: Scorny.
Speaker 4: He's very scorny right now. He is Corny Cory's corney.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She asks the boys where they're from, and when Corey says Philadelphia, she admits she's always wanted to go there.
Speaker 1: He's three hours away. I mean it can't be more than three Pennsylvania. Three hours.
Speaker 4: The hell's going on always wanted to go to the big city.
Speaker 1: Like it's a classic. It's gone right back to that old boy world troph It's like the trailer park. You know, they're just complete. Oh my gosh, like everybody's every You leave.
Speaker 3: Philly and man Country forty minutes outside you're with Country Bumpkins.
Speaker 2: Corey responds, not really, I'm a cop.
Speaker 1: Why why is Cory Ryan? Piece is funny is also a reference to like the old Sean joke where Sean pretended to be a cop to the teacher. So like, no, I was like, where's where's this hat? Where's going? Is this going somewhere? Nope, Sean goes.
Speaker 2: He says Corey is in fact the chief of police. Corey then immediately following her, another pretty girl walks by carrying plates of food. She introduces herself as Stacy, and Corey points out this place is crawling with chicks. He gives a little wave to Stacy, who smiles back. Then another cute girl delivers their plates of food. The boys are blown away. She confidently tells Sean, you're searching for something. I can tell.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: This has never nothing even remotely close to this has ever happened in a real life scenario ever, anywhere on the face of the earth. I can tell you, Hi, I'm Stacy. I can tell you're searching for something coffee?
Speaker 1: What this is? You know, when you look like a guy who's soulful and on a road trip because of death.
Speaker 2: It's like, thank you daddy, death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, thank you so much, Stacy. Can you recook these hash browns? Because this ain't right?
Speaker 1: And then Corey talks like, she's not right there, right there, she's staring into your soul.
Speaker 3: Well, have you also seen I don't know if it was in this scene or a later scene, but there's an atmosphere actor in the background who's eating pie and just watching the show.
Speaker 4: It's the greatest thing I've ever seen. He's like, probably judging, he's just sitting there, stupid.
Speaker 1: I'll wait for the rewrites.
Speaker 2: Sean nods, yeah, I am. Then she just smiles and stares at him. Corey whispers, she's peering, Indie, your freaking soul, but the girl doesn't budge until Waitress number two walks by and whispers to her he's coming. Soul peering girl quickly leaves. A tough looking middle aged man with a flat top and a flat and flannel Mosy's on up to Corey and Sean eyeing them down like prey.
Speaker 1: Now, wouldn't it make sense that Sean would actually flirt with these girls?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: And wouldn't that increase the tension? Could create a conflict with this direct because as it is, Corey is engaged, he's not flirting or kind of jokingly flirts, but he's not serious. And Sean does nothing, nothing at all, just looks sad.
Speaker 2: Sean has the bner of death.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: That's just Sean. Did you say odor of death?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: He's not flirting?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Couldn't they have rewritten this or with like puts us in a compromising position. I say something to her, I ask her for her but I do you want to later?
Speaker 2: I do think that the exactly what I'm saying threw it all off. That the idea of Sean being in a mental place where he's able to be flirty with a girl changes the idea that he's on a soul search about his dead dad.
Speaker 3: So and then after Boner of Death, I heard nothing you said after Boner of Death, because that's all that's going through my head now.
Speaker 4: Is the merch that would be around the bone of death. Oh god.
Speaker 2: But so they had to put they had to put the idea of their being like chick in Corey's mouth because and yet none of there, just because they had to mention it.
Speaker 1: But then it's like scary, dad, It's like, really, no, I'm scared for what.
Speaker 2: We're not doing anything, I know, so, uh, Corey pleasantly greets them, Well, hello there, authentic grizzled old roadside diner man. The man points to Amy Sue. Do you see her? Corey grins, yes, I do, to which the man responds, that's Amy Sue, she's my daughter. Corey points out, you're a lucky man. The man continues, you see her, and he points to another waitress. Corey repeats, yes, I do, and the man reveals that's Sarah. She's my daughter too. Corey laughs he must have quite the gun collection. The man shows no sign of amusement. He points out Stacy next, and it's worth noting Stacy is black. Corey's interested. Let's see you explain that one no world where you could have adopted a child have a daughter. The man motions to Stacy and Ali his daughter's best friends. They're just like daughters to him. Watch yourself. He points to Sean, you look familiar, but Sean tells him he's never been there before. The owner counters, I didn't say you've been here. I just said you looked familiar, and he walks away, leaving both the boys quite stunned. Corey lets out an, oh, Betty.
Speaker 1: Why Betty. We just learned a lot of information. We walked in, ordered food.
Speaker 2: There is still no.
Speaker 1: We now know how these people are. Okay, thanks, Just in case you didn't get it, he's a grizzled old roadside owner. Just let's say it.
Speaker 2: Maybe Betty is the conflict and it's just off camera.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: I would never speak for him because I would have no idea, but I'll guarantee you this was not Matt Nelson's favorite script.
Speaker 4: I would be able to put money down.
Speaker 3: That's not that Nelson kind of this was a network note essentially, you need to get this band on, you need to lost up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Matt kind of was like, all right, here we go.
Speaker 2: If Matt had the if Matt could have had the free rein to do what we talked about. Where he is on a search and he stops at a place and there's a picture of Chet and it sparks something in Sean. Sean could get the idea on this road trip that is only supposed to be for a weekend, we could see Sean go no, I can't go back. I mean, I'm going to retrace my father's steps. Who was when I wasn't around? And decided last episode exactly so Matt Nelson could have done a bang up job with given free rein with him, give.
Speaker 6: You a producer. Note that while I was researching, because I thought about that, this is definitely Matt Nelson's worst script. Yeah, season six is the most glaring moment that you're sliding in the Nielsen ratings because there is a weird I guess thought process out there that because you had more viewers in season six and seven that the ratings were better. But the truth is you were never lower on the Nielsen ratings than season six and seven, just more people were watching television, so like your numbers were up, but your placement was very, very down. So when you're talking about being on the bubble, six and seven is your most bubbly Well, no.
Speaker 3: That makes sense because season seven we were only picked up for thirteen. Originally we didn't can get our full twenty two when we didn't hear about our back nine until halfway through the season.
Speaker 1: So you are sliding.
Speaker 6: So when ABC and Disney and whoever is thinking about shows, well, boy meets World, let's get that band on Boy Me's World. It's almost like you're becoming an outlet for more synergy.
Speaker 3: Right, that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Corey tells Sean to eat up because they have a lot of ground to cover in two days. That's when Sean finally comes clean, I'm not being fair to you. You should go home. Corey is confused, but Amy Sue interrupts, do you have to go home? Before we sing?
Speaker 1: Keep mart some information?
Speaker 4: Okay, you're just laughing. As she says there's no response to it.
Speaker 2: Cory asks you girls got yourself a little band conting Corey, which is funny, Little Johnny Cats, you get a little backs your little coffee poorers. Hi Y' also sing yeah, yeah, okay. Amy Sue and Sarah give each other a look before asking Corey how old are you? And Corey laughs, honey, I'm taking and he shows off his engagement ring. Amy Sue admits we don't get a lot of city guys around, Dear.
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 1: This is it's a truck stop diner. It's all city people driving and stopping to eat. Like, what do you.
Speaker 2: We'd be interested to know what you think?
Speaker 5: What Cory and Shane, two teenagers in community college, stumble in here, and this is going.
Speaker 1: To hinge on our decision to approve them or not.
Speaker 3: Are we we have?
Speaker 2: Are we valuable?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I mean, cow can tell you it's good before you've got to get outside influence.
Speaker 1: You're wearing a leather jacket. You must be from the city.
Speaker 2: Scary. It's scary there.
Speaker 1: While we have a whole backing track that's professionally produced for our original song, dance Moves and right, we never say nobody, no.
Speaker 2: No, just they just thought people were going to be like.
Speaker 4: What I hear that again? Whatever the nineties equivalent of googling?
Speaker 2: That is exactly what's shazam? I'm gonna invent shazam. Then Corey continues to be condescending. This will be cute. They want to hear what we think of their band. I hope they do that. Achy Breakie.
Speaker 3: Ben is still he's it's absurd, but it's he still makes me laugh because I mean, I know he's trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but three seconds ago he was excited about the hot chicks who are like populating this place. Then he was scared of the dad. Now he's mocking them for being in events. Yeah, like who couldn't possibly be talented. It's like he's just there's no, there's nothing. And then Sewan is just there with his bone dad.
Speaker 3: What is called?
Speaker 1: Like Shawn has done nothing except like, oh, the guy recognized me, but I've never been here.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: But then we get to the best face in the history of television up right here.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's coming up in the next in the in the next scene at the truck stop. Okay, okay, So Sean isn't really paying attention. He insists that Corey goes home. Corey doesn't get it, But what about you, Sean. Sean quickly changes the subject. I wonder if this band's any good.
Speaker 1: Avoid don't actually have any conflict?
Speaker 3: Yes later.
Speaker 6: It is later, No.
Speaker 4: Later, the worst improper No later.
Speaker 1: I have lots of deep feelings, but I'm not going to share them yet. That's the s Sean Hunter improv should That's a great bit. It is so funny.
Speaker 2: Then we're in the apartment.
Speaker 4: No, thank god, b story, this will kick it up.
Speaker 1: I know. That's why I was really hoping. I was like, because we last saw them there was a sexy kiss in the real conflict.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a great episode, so he won't go this is let's see, this will save it. This is the boner of life. There is what's going on in this scene.
Speaker 1: So yes, boner of orange juice. That's what we start with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack's unloading groceries. As Rachel peers into their freezer. Jack awkwardly tries to sneak past her.
Speaker 1: And then they started talking and awkwardness.
Speaker 2: Refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: But also, only one person needs to unload the groceries. We both do, we don't need one person, but it's a one.
Speaker 4: One person jobs.
Speaker 2: Just get out of there, put the bags down.
Speaker 1: And one of you to notice the bag. The cloth bag. I can't believe because Michael used to. But I guess maybe that was on girl that he railed against them because them on this it looks.
Speaker 4: And again this episode lobsters everywhere.
Speaker 2: I missed it again.
Speaker 1: Literally just on it because I'm watching the actors.
Speaker 3: To this story all at the same time. Uh, in the trailer park. Dede has just hidden it by literally just putting it on the stove. It's a white stove, and sitting hanging off the white stove is this giant red lobster just right there over your shoulder.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's great, Okay, I really I can't believe I haven't caught it once.
Speaker 4: That's insane to me.
Speaker 2: Finally, Rachel breaks the silence. They're gonna have to talk about this sometime. Jack's relieved. Oh good, I thought you were gonna want to talk about it now, She says, I do Jack's eyes I know, and Rachel tells him to go first. Jack starts when we were kissing, and Rachel quickly cuts him off. Just don't say anything stupid, okay, Jack continues, I was just keeping everything bottled up. Rachel interrupts him again, Just don't say that it didn't mean anything, because that would be hurtful. Jack admits, Oh no, it felt like it meant something, but then he quickly changes his tune. But maybe it didn't. He sits on the couch. He giggles, this is where they kissed. He explains, he was just in a really vulnerable place. That day. Rachel hesitantly agrees, right, maybe it was just a friend comforting a friend. Jack agrees, but he doesn't seem too convinced. Rachel shrugs that way, no one gets hurt. Jack nods, no reason to tell Eric. Rachel's eyes widen, No, that would be hurtful. Then on cue, Eric walks in carrying his laundry basket. He says hey and walks right past them, only to turn and casually break the news. Oh I saw you two kissing. Rachel and Jack stare at him in shock. Done done, done, And we've recapped what happened last episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just recapped it. And he walked in on them and told them that he walked in on them, and now they know.
Speaker 3: Thing I got mostly from the scene was I knew it was bad, but I have horrible posture. I mean I have really really rounded, slumpy shoulders.
Speaker 1: It's like carrying a basket, right, You're not even Eric is sad.
Speaker 3: Well, No, but all the time I have bad posture. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like I should I should be walking like this, but that feels uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: I do I have rounded shoulder syndrome. I do do RSS. I have technic technic.
Speaker 2: What is technic technic? It's how all of our like the the hump in the back of the neck and back of the shoulders that we get from looking at our phones all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh, technic, that's what I have death boner?
Speaker 3: You do you do.
Speaker 1: Technically?
Speaker 4: If you have death boner after four hours, I can tell the doctor.
Speaker 1: There are bills for that, right death. It happens that everybody.
Speaker 2: So then we're back at the truck stop. We're almost to our favorite writer face. The four girls have taken the stage and Amy Sue announces, we'd like to dedicate this song to our two wandering guests. You guys have been there for five minutes.
Speaker 1: Five minutes to talk about some stuff.
Speaker 4: But they're city folk.
Speaker 3: And apparently and our people trying to round the country trying to find you us so.
Speaker 2: And then the girl group Nobody's Angel lip sync their song. I can't help myself give them.
Speaker 1: Some instruments like make this. The point is that there's a band and they should be talented in like but the fact that they're like a polished dancery.
Speaker 2: What accompanied by synchronized dance moves and a very nineties pop track. Corey and Sean seem impressed as the girls eventually gave the song once to start.
Speaker 1: It by the way, did you oh yeah, because we had to do it a week there listening to it and I remembered it, it was like, oh my god, remember this.
Speaker 2: Did they come with it already choreographed or was there a choreographer on set?
Speaker 1: Okay, now they came with it. They had their own choreographer, you know. So they just came and did their their thing. They did it every week, like all week and yeah, and I did some research.
Speaker 3: They were a band for three years, so they must have been relatively successful at the time.
Speaker 2: I would have imagined the girls eventually give them a little personalized performance. But then the diner owner walks up and they run back to the stage to finish the song. It's doing that part right where they get close to you.
Speaker 4: Oh it is it is you, the look on your face.
Speaker 2: I wish we could have to find a still of it.
Speaker 4: We will, We'll have to put it up because it is.
Speaker 3: It is combination dead inside, horribly embarrassed and questioning every decision you've ever made in your life.
Speaker 1: It is just accurate.
Speaker 3: Was kind of like sitting there.
Speaker 4: Like, what's happening in my life right now?
Speaker 2: I can't believe I have to do this. All I can see is you say. I can't believe it. I can't believe I.
Speaker 3: Have to do this.
Speaker 4: It's the best thing I've ever seen. It saved the whole episode for me, just that one shot, because.
Speaker 3: It was magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was in lay Miss, I was in La Miss. I once was in lay Miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was okay, worked to t Tommylee Jones was once an actor.
Speaker 2: The performance of what is very close, if not the entire song comes to a close, and patrons, including Corey and Sewan, give the girl group a rowdy round of applause. Nobody's Angel runs up to the boys, do you think we're any good? Corey is shocked. You were awesome. You shouldn't be here, dishing out hash browns. Stacey asks Sean, who she calls mystery boy, what he thinks. He chimes in, I agree with Officer Bob.
Speaker 1: Hysterical joke. It's a runner now, it's a runner that he's pretending to be a cop to what.
Speaker 2: Ali grins good, because we want you to help us leave this.
Speaker 1: Why do we help them leave? How could we possibly.
Speaker 3: The whole house you could obviously, okay, but like, wouldn't you find people who have money who might be.
Speaker 1: Able to like be a manager my father?
Speaker 2: How much money would it take? How many hashbreads to kill brothers?
Speaker 3: It's awful, this is I mean, that's why I said I'm not It's not even bad. It's just not a boy metroled episode.
Speaker 4: It's not why.
Speaker 1: And then it falls on Corey to make the decision to like what send them to college or to the big city. It doesn't make any why us?
Speaker 4: That's why?
Speaker 1: Okay? What if? What if instead of lying about being a cop, Corey lied about being a musician and writer, then then we would have a we have to keep a lie going because he would get caught by the.
Speaker 2: Dad, Barry Gordy exactly what if?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's so easy? Is Corey just thought it. He's like, we're on the road, we should When that was the beginning of the scene of the walking in, It's like, let's pretend to be other people walking on the Jones, yes, and we make a joke, and then we can't tell the truth because the dad would actually, you know, kill us, and then we're stuck in a lie and we have to play it out. Jinks and Sue, come on, we just fixed it.
Speaker 4: He saved all the hijinks for the B story.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna kiss, and then they're gonna kiss. They do, they do? They express their feelings. I mean the next scene, you guys literally just trot out the potential problems and and you say there's no problem. So it's like anti story alert. Sorry, no later. And then they repeat the thing where we can't kiss but we're gonna kiss.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 1: It's ecstatic episode.
Speaker 2: Corey wonders what's stopping them in Unison. They all look at the grizzly dad owner. He thinks the city's a dangerous place and something terrible's gonna happen to us. Amy Sue begs them, can you talk to him for us?
Speaker 1: Why you can't tell your ow dads. You're gonna get the stranger who's a music college kid. Maybe I don't know what this did.
Speaker 2: You gotta deal with a dad made it clear he doesn't like you.
Speaker 1: Hey, stranger, I could tell with your owner of dad, you could take care of this blog. And it's Corey not me.
Speaker 2: Why because he's never met a man from Philadelphia. You're gonna tell him.
Speaker 4: Your city folk. That answers everything.
Speaker 2: Never been to the Philadelphia, Corey nods, yeah, it's just that he's very large, and I got to get my friend here back home. He stands to leave, in motions for Sean to join him, but Sean says he's not going home. Corey doesn't know why he keeps saying that, and Sean explains, because you're not hearing it. That's what I needed to tell you.
Speaker 1: So wait, have I said that I'm not going home yet? I thought I have and drop that bomb.
Speaker 2: Yet I also agree that you had not said that yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say I'll tell you later, and you say you should go.
Speaker 2: Home, and he does point out why only me?
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: And you change the subject, so I think so.
Speaker 1: Then he says, why you keep saying that I actually haven't said him staying I.
Speaker 2: Think he just meant. He's picked up on the subtext, and and he's understood it every time, even every time you've no latered him, He's picked up on it.
Speaker 3: There's subtext galore in this episode, so all the funny subjects pick it up exactly.
Speaker 1: It only makes sense in the subjects.
Speaker 4: It's the only episode ever done that's only subtext.
Speaker 1: Because the text is so bad.
Speaker 2: Cory sarcastically says goodbye and shakes Sean's hand. He starts to walk away, but Sean doesn't move. Life changes, you know, people go separate ways. Corey asks if he's breaking up with him in a public place, so we won't make a scene, He tests, Sean, you don't think i'll make a scene? Sean laughs, no, I know you'll make a scene, but I'm not going home. Cory asks when are you going to go back then, and Shawn shrugs maybe never. Corey raises his voice as Sean pays the bill at the register. Just because things are not going perfectly in your life does not mean that you tear everything up and end up and who knows where? And I didn't think why is Corey letting Sean pay for this? Corey should definitely buy this meal? You think, yeah, anyway?
Speaker 6: Bothered me?
Speaker 2: Seawan's half listening. Then he points to a picture behind Sarah and he asks to see it. Corey's whining behind him.
Speaker 1: Do you hear me?
Speaker 2: What do you think you're gonna find? Sean stares at the picture and grins. He shows Corey, it's a picture of Chet and the owner of the restaurant. Corey admits, Okay, now it just got interesting, and I thought it's about freaking time. This could be great if this is the thing that kick starts whatever it is that Shawn ends up wanting to do.
Speaker 1: But Shawn's already decided.
Speaker 2: He's not going, already decided.
Speaker 1: This is just more decision, yet more of the same.
Speaker 2: See, I guess validation for your right, Yeah, it's validation. All right. We're back at the truck stop. Sean's staring at the picture, surrounded by Corey and nobody's angel. Stacey asks you know that guy, and Sean laughs kinda, he's my father. Sarah asks, that's your father.
Speaker 3: We've established this, yeah, because I said that's my father.
Speaker 1: And don't I say the exact same line I said in the last episode where I go kind of know him or.
Speaker 2: Kind of home. Yes, he's my dad. Tic yeah, yeah, Corey protests, No, don't call him over.
Speaker 4: He hates me.
Speaker 2: Grizzly Dad asks the girls if Corey's bothering them, and Corey responds, deadpan, I just stopped here for lunch. Sarah excitedly reveals this is Chet Hunter's son. The owner grins, of course he is. I knew you looked familiar. Chet's been showing us pictures of you for I don't know how long. Sarah bashfully admits, I like the one where you're getting a bath in the sink.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do.
Speaker 2: The owner shakes his hand. You're Sean. How's medical school going? Seawan clarifies, Actually, it's just college. The man laughs. Ched always tells a good story. Then he turns to Corey, and you're Corey. You're the kid Shawn's always getting out of them scrapes. Corey starts to actually the guy, but Sean cuts him off.
Speaker 1: I do like this idea of like, yeah, yeah, it could have been an extended bit about all the like the lies that Chet told that we have to like break down and figure out what was going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, shame, shame you hurts your knee and couldn't become an astronaut.
Speaker 2: Like that's the episode I want to watch, Yes, the episode of Sean uncovering his father's life exactly. Yep, that's the one I want. Sean cuts him off. How come there's a picture of my dad and this truck stop? The man laughs, Chet wouldn't drive his Ray between Pennsylvania and Ohio without stopping here and telling us some of his latest adventures. Right, So he was a truck driver apparently, unless they're calling the mobile home array. We never No, we never established that, but we did establish that he dealt cards. Right, he got an offer for the Vegas thing, So I think I j is.
Speaker 1: Not really an odd job. That's consistent, correct, So it seems weird that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the truck driver from earlier agrees that's right. He also said that Sean was perfect for one of your daughters. As I recall, the owner frowns. I don't recall that the trucker stands by his words. I recall that Sean wonders which one in the girl's grin in Sarah's direction, she admits it was me. Sean can't help but rizz her up in response, Well, that always did have good taste.
Speaker 1: What is the point of this? So now I'm flirting?
Speaker 2: Yes, now you could be interested, and it's all just further it's it's just fear for great Now there's a grin and be interested and he likes it. Here's how am I ever going to get him out of this? I need to get him home the same way it happened for Eric in his episode.
Speaker 1: But why does he need to get me home? Why does Corey?
Speaker 2: Because the universe says this show is going to go for seven seas since.
Speaker 4: He has no argument, Like all, he wants to finish college.
Speaker 3: He says it when you're wrestling, He's like, you got it. Why you gotta go home and finish school and don't throw away your life?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it would actually be easy to just say we have classes on Monday and test due and like Poene's expecting you, you can't bail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because right now, I don't really.
Speaker 1: Feel the conflict other than like, oh, Sean might leave the show, right you don't want as a viewer. But otherwise it's not really clear, like Sean, go, yeah, take a trip, man.
Speaker 2: Corey throws his arms in the air. Now he's never coming home. The owner wonders, so what's your daddy up to?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Sean's excitement ends, Corey, none of these people know. The man questions know what. Sean tries to find the right words. I hate to tell you this, but my dad died last week.
Speaker 3: Sean.
Speaker 1: Also, how would they know?
Speaker 3: It's been a week and we're at a random truck stop, which we've already established is on the moon essentially, so how would.
Speaker 1: They have found out?
Speaker 2: I do think that's just one of those things where when you know everyone in Sean's life back home does know, and yeah, it's a weird feeling when someone you someone you love and are very close to dies and the rest of the world just goes on and you're like, yeah, yeah, and like so I kind of like that moment where he's like, I have if I go on this trip, I'm gonna have to tell all these people. The diner goes quiet. Finally, the trucker speaks up, so who shot him? Everyone bursts into laughter, and Sean wonders, is it okay that people are laughing? The owner nods, of course, it's okay. Just thinking about that ugly son of a gun's face is enough to make you laugh. They break out into laughter again, and this time Sean joins them. He asks, let me.
Speaker 1: Talk out my feelings. Is it okay to that laughing? Who ever asked that question? Now you feel insecure about it?
Speaker 6: Or do it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it okay that I'm doing this? The owners lend some words of wisdom. Your father died, Sean, but he ain't gone. When someone you love leaves you, they're never gone. He taps his head. They stay right here. Sean wonders, how well did you guys know my dad? The man admits pretty well. He was always running from something. He had that way about him. Amy Sue chimes in, I always thought he was running for something. Again in list of conversations that have just never happened, this.
Speaker 1: Is up there.
Speaker 4: I thought that she meant like he was training for a marathon or something like that. Run for something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Sean asks for what, and she answers you. The owner agrees you were all he talked about. Kid. Your father wanted to be perfect for you, and this is nice. I think this would be something that would mean something to Sean to hear from these people who knew his dad. Boy, he loved you. Sean's eye, well, he would have been perfect if he would have just in there for me. Sean brings over a tray with a beer in two sodas. The man grabs the beer and Sean takes a soda. Though Chet isn't here, he deserves a toast. Sean nods in agreement, but admits he's horrible at these things, so he asks Corey to say something, but he won't. He's mad at Sean. The audience laughs, and Shawn asks, are you mad at him?
Speaker 1: Sean is horrible. He's a poet, right, who gives a toast at the wedding, Right who also was chosen to give the speech.
Speaker 2: Yes, so why he was valedictorian.
Speaker 1: Is very good at speech. I mean it seems like he's.
Speaker 3: Actually really good at starting speeches and then storming off stage. That's what happened, right forte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Shawn asks, are you mad at him? In reference to chet Corey admits no, and he raises his soda bottle. Chet Hunter was not a saint, but he loved Sean as much as he possibly could. And even if he wasn't always around to show it, we all know he wanted to be and I'm sure if he could, he'd be here with you right now. I believe that. Sean smiles and agrees. Corey announces to chet Hunter Shawn's father. Everyone raises their glass. Here here, Sean repeats to chet Hunter, my father, now, question for you, do you think? Sean, at this point believes the last sentiment Chet had said in the hospital bed, which is I need you too, son. Do we think that both Corey and Sean do think that had Chet made it out of the hospital that time, he really would have stayed.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think so too. At least there's a hope there that that's what would have happened. That was Sean's entire life, though, was his father giving and getting his hopes up and then disappointing him. So at least he ended hopeful as opposed to disappoint it.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back in the apartment for a rousing Bee story. Rachel and Jack stare at Eric, who's in the kitchen drinking milk from the carton. Rachel admits, I'm really glad we're talking about this. Jack ads, see, we didn't want to tell you because we thought it would make it all weird between us. Eric's eyes, you know, when I saw you guys kissing, it bothered me, and I didn't know why. I didn't know if I was jealous or I felt betrayed or Rachel interjects, you know what I think it was. I think that Jack just really needed a friend, and I tried to be that for him. Eric assures her well, you're a really good friend. Jack chimes in, you saw me, Eric, I was in a dark place, Rachel admits, and, come to think of it, I may have gone a little too far. Jack ads maybe I did too. Eric questions, really, so you all just went too far. Rachel and Jack say yeah. So Eric repeats yeah, and then he asks, so then we're still three friends. Rachel tells him, no, better friends than we ever have been. Eric nods, yeah, you know something, This talking thing feels really good. We shouldn't be able to talk about stuff when they just go too far. Rachel and Jack say yeah. Wants more and Eric agrees yeah. He ends the conversation. He has some stuff in the dryer, so he's going to go and now left alone, Jack admits Eric's a stud. That's good. That's really good. Rachel agrees, yeah, I really respect that when somebody can just come out and say how they're feeling. No games. Jack turns to her, I want to kiss you. She responds, I want to kiss you too, Jack, and then they fall into the couch making out.
Speaker 1: Not as good a kiss where are the other episode?
Speaker 2: But not a kiss as the life, not as good of a kid, I think one of the things that ruined the B story for me is that it's so very obvious from the very beginning of this episode with them behaving awkwardly in the kitchen that they do like each other and want to be in a relationship if there wasn't any awkwardness between them, and both of them were like, by the way, I have to talk to you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, me too, And we actually were like, oh, that's a bummer because it looked kind of hot, like and I thought there was really something between them, but they are both for acting as though for sure they don't want this. They have this conversation with Eric, we actually believe all of it, and then and then the turn, and then the turn or you have Eric come in and say I think you guys should be together. Just go for it, and then they're like, no, no, no, no, we really don't want to. Exactually have a conflict with Eric, and then they insist, and then Eric says, okay, I just wanted you to know it's okay with.
Speaker 1: Me, and then.
Speaker 3: They lied to and then they keep Because I think we do a couple of episodes now where everything is like done secretive secret.
Speaker 1: They could have just gotten too that secretive. It really like our show just decided to tread water for a whole episode. It's like, let's not change anything. Let's just hint to change and get these this girl band in here.
Speaker 2: Right, let's put the show on hold. Basically, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's why this is not an episode of Woman's World.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Well, then we're back into Chet's trailer. Seawan is setting up the pull out bed.
Speaker 1: Until scoring ran exploded. I was like, that's the trailer if we actually moved their house, how are we supposed to believe this putting down the bed. Wasn't there a back bedroom?
Speaker 4: Yes, but that's where you would be.
Speaker 1: But they had to they had to get rid of the hallway that was back there because the trailer would have been and when we saw the trailer in previous episodes, our previous seasons, there was a back hallway to other rooms that they then have to like wall off and act like they don't exist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there, So that area that were you there's not even there anymore because it has trailer. Oh god, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: Maybe you just left the bedrooms back at the trailer, yea of the living room and dining room with you.
Speaker 2: Sean is setting up the pull out bed as he tells, I'm on a journey, so I've got to stay on this journey. Corey mocks him. Oh, you're on a journey. It was a two day trip. Now it's a journey. Soon it will be a voyage. That's so funny. Sean insists, I'm looking for something. Okay, I'm not going to be able to find it at home, and I'm not going to be able to find it with you. Corey shouts, then why am I on this trip? Why did you bring me in the first place. Sean tells him so I could get your blessing because I wanted to say goodbye. Corey shakes his head in disgust. You are sick, sir. So this was a fling. I feel cheap. He demands Sean give him the keys, but Sean jumps back. He wants to spend the night in the trailer, but Corey argues he wants to turn this trailer around and go home. The boys start to squabble, and Corey threatens to tell Feene while they wrestle. Sean says he needs to hear that everything's going to be okay and he's making the right decision. Corey flings him backwards. You want my help, go home, finish college and work on your papal skills. Still sparring, Sean suggests we're going to sleep on it. They both land on the floor, still fighting, when there's an knock at the door. Amy Sue just walks right in. We need your advice. Corey looks at Sean, perhaps we should get up. The rest of the girls walk in, and Ali explains, we want to see if we can make it somewhere other than here. Stacy adds their father will never let that.
Speaker 1: Happen, and you have to make this decision.
Speaker 2: Phil Spector and Quincy Jonesincy Jones to figure this out, but Sarah's mind is made up. It doesn't matter. I'm not leaving. Amy, Sue and I are all Dad has Amy. Sue argues, we can't stay here for the rest of our lives. Stacey asks the boys, look, this is a big decision. Could you tell us what you really think? Corey responds, no, I can't because I don't know you. Finally, I don't want to. I'm not gonna you can't make me, which is what they should have said about this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Amy, Sue stares at him, and Corey immediately gives in You girls are better than every band I've heard in college. I mean, you have a real shot out there, and even if things don't work out, you'll never know what your lives are gonna be like if you don't see what else is out there. So talk to your father. He'll understand. He seems like a very understanding guy. And then he's behind me.
Speaker 1: Couldn't he say something that's actually scary? Tostead the understanding guy. He's a nice guy. That's not like the beat is there, but the line is completely wrong. It should be totally Your dad's not very bright. The reality is he's not going to really get this.
Speaker 2: He's kind of a he's gonna want to hold you back, but that's because it's totally selfish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just whatever.
Speaker 2: Just their dad walks into the trailer and Corey turns around and screams at the sight of the menacing man. The man asks, why are you in here with my daughters? Corey gaslights him, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not what this isn't cake? This isn't Corey, this is cake exactly. That would have been a great callback.
Speaker 2: I just jumped in and said that this is the cake because he's Corey is his cake. Corey thinks we're good. He thinks we should take a chance and leave. Corey denies everything. She's a liar. The man questions, why do you want my girls to leave me? Corey explains, I don't, It's just he places a hand on the scary man. There comes a time in every man's life, Bill, He stops himself. You don't want me to touch you, do you? Bill threatens, why don't you keep doing it and see what happens? Pulling his hand off Bill, Corey continues, there comes a time in every man's life where he has to let go of the people he loves and let them find their own way. Sean laughs at the obvious hypocrisy, and Corey yells, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about them. Corey notices Bill's threatening look and backtracks, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about me. I want to go home. He tries to leave the trailer, but Bill stops him. Hold on, little man, Corey curses, I was almost out the door. Sarah assures her dad they'll stay here. He needs help running the place and he needs them, so they'll stay. Bill takes a deep breath. Girls, you're fired. They look at each other and smile. Amy Sue thanks her dad. Sarah assures him they'll make him proud. He tells them he's already proud. And the whole time, I'm going, why does anyone watching care at all about this story? About it?
Speaker 3: But you're assuming people are watching at this point because of the thing, and I think.
Speaker 4: That's a sumption.
Speaker 3: We've got a really yah wish. Yikes.
Speaker 4: It almost seemed like, you know what this seemed like to me?
Speaker 3: This seemed like they were working as hard as they could to spin off an entire new show for these girls. Yeah, and yes, they're their foray into Okay, this episode's going to be about you, because this is essentially your backdoor pilot, and we're gonna then get you on the road and then it's the all girl band TV show. God, that's what it seemed like to me.
Speaker 2: He turns to Corey and announces, if anything should happen to them, I'll hunt you down like a dog.
Speaker 1: What why?
Speaker 3: Why is this on me?
Speaker 2: It has nothing to do with him.
Speaker 1: He encourages them necessarily other than saying they're talented.
Speaker 2: No, Corey gives him a big fake grin. Then we'll see each other again soon. Amy Sue asks Bill if he's going to be okay without them, and he reminds her, I'm not going to be without you. You're always right here, and he taps his head again. Corey then walks over to Sean. You're fired. Sean asks from what, and Corey explains, from me, I don't know what you're looking for, but I guess you need to go away for a while to find it. Sean grins, Are you sure, daddy? Corey turns to Bill. We sure, Bill. Bill gives him a nod. I'm afraid so, kid. Corey tells Sean, if you ever need anything, or you ever need my help, Sean cuts him off.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Corey turns back to Bill once it's so hard to let him go. Bill agrees as he holds the girl's club. Corey reaches into his pocket and hands Sean the red bandana. He tells Sean to take care of himself, and then we get the one great scene in the episode. The next day, Shawn is back and the red bandana and the leather jacket. Situating himself into the truck, he sits at the steering wheel and he lets out a big sigh. Then we hear Chet's voice he gonna crank it up or what. Sean's stunned to see his dad in the passenger seat, but Chet just laughs, Bet you didn't expect to see me han Son. Sean asks what he's doing there, and Chet explains, you're looking for something. I thought i'd try and help you find it. Sean admits, that's very cool of you. Chet boasts I was always a cool guy. Sean laughs, then lovingly admits I miss you. Chet nods I know, but remember I'm always right here, and he taps Sean's head. Sean smiles, but when he faces forward to turn on the car, we see Chet is no longer there, but Sean is setting off for his adventure. Also, Sean could be on mushrooms.
Speaker 3: That's possible, but it's a great scene. It's a great scene or great mushrooms, either one.
Speaker 2: One of the two. Either way.
Speaker 1: The second chets on screen, it's like it's maragic. He's just got so much charisma, it's so much energy.
Speaker 4: And the two of you work together and it's just great.
Speaker 2: Yep, so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Took us twenty one and a half minutes to get there.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets World show at gmail dot com, and we've got March.
Speaker 3: Side effects of the death boner can include death boner's spitting loss or sudden everything's really loud for some reason. If your deathboner lasts more than four hours, sweet March.
Speaker 2: Pod meets Worldshow dot com zombie Boner. You can join us for our next episode recap, which is season six, episode sixteen. My Baby Valentine, which I guess is the baby.
Speaker 1: Yep, I get to give to a baby.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you give another year?
Speaker 4: You still thanksty God? Damn it, my god.
Speaker 1: I can't talk about it right now.
Speaker 2: No later, I don't know, yes later, writer, send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeats World is an iHeart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubash producer, Maddie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com