Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Home, y'all is Welcome Home.
Speaker 1: This is episode fourteen of Native Land Pod, where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture, but most importantly, we give it to you straight, no chaser. We are your host, Tiffany Cross, Angela Rye, and Andrew Gillam and I got to kick it off with a question before we get into anything, Angela, who's the black sheet?
Speaker 3: Where's the black sheet sheet?
Speaker 4: Here's here's the blessing, but here's the black sheep? Would be third person, Andrew, It's just arrogant third person, Donald Trump. Here's the way, Donald, You Donald, you.
Speaker 3: Can point and be like, here's the.
Speaker 4: Black here's the blessed. Okay, mi's the moment, then let's go.
Speaker 1: The point of this was Andrew, everybody is wearing a black sheet T shirt.
Speaker 3: And he tried to redefine.
Speaker 1: We gave a conversation political debates, not political black sheep?
Speaker 2: A loner? Is itative? Where do we land on that?
Speaker 3: Andrew reclaimed it.
Speaker 4: I reclaim it. I mean what I mean I think because we're not like everybody else?
Speaker 3: Are you close?
Speaker 4: You strike out that you're different, that you are set apart, that more people are black sheep than not.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have giving David from the Bible.
Speaker 4: A little bit, yeah, a little bit, a little bit, all right, so you know, but you can help me work to redefine this thing. And I'm sort of at the nascent level. We had a full I'm talking about the listeners.
Speaker 3: Is this your brand or brand?
Speaker 4: And I won't be calling on my brand right now, but if you made this shirt.
Speaker 3: Where's the black sheep? All right right across? Alrighty, guys, you can get with that.
Speaker 4: You can get with this.
Speaker 2: Where you can get with that, you can.
Speaker 3: Get with that because this is where it's at. We don't get copyright infringement.
Speaker 4: Oh it's all good.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, everybody.
Speaker 1: Just want to say, stay tuned to the end of this podcast because we happen to be well.
Speaker 2: I did that on purpose.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for the end of this podcast because we happen to be seated among Emmy nominee.
Speaker 2: But stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Nobody say anything. We'll get into that later. Welcome home, everybody. It's a beautiful day in the Big Apple and we're together. So let me tell you where the train is taking you today.
Speaker 2: No thanks, number nine on the New York.
Speaker 3: We got to cut it out.
Speaker 1: I didn't actually fall off the track because no thanks. That is what nearly half the Republican governors in this country are saying, a program to feed hungry kids. Well, some of them are saying, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up. So we're going to get into that a little later. And I have a question for the audience that I want you to answer later. If a political ad were made for you, Taylor made for you, what does that look like?
Speaker 2: What issues would they speak to?
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about that. I want to hear you guys talk about that too. And how many of you all are still down with your day ones? I feel like we're day ones. We've been friends a long time. We're still rocking with the same crew for decades. So I kind of, honestly, I kind of attitude no new friends, but I do a little bit.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm warm to people, but it's hard for you and I have known each other for a long time. It's hard to build that same intimacy with somebody who I've known, you know, for decades. So we can be friends, but it looks different. But why I'm asking that is because I wonder if the Democratic Party builds the same way.
Speaker 3: They definitely don't if he doesn't either, I want to have that argument later. Okay, fine, fine, that's true.
Speaker 1: I'll try to say no new friends, but I kind of like, do you want to be my best friend?
Speaker 2: And that is maybe true?
Speaker 3: Where did you grow?
Speaker 6: What shoes?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 3: You're new friends than she is.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate angel is no new friends because I I kind of like show.
Speaker 4: She embraces that's true.
Speaker 1: You do well, I'll tell you I definitely don't want it's my new friend. And that's he's politically homeless Republicans talking about. So we're gonna the point is, we're gonna get into that. It was the Democrats say no new friends to them.
Speaker 2: We're going to see.
Speaker 1: But lastly, I want to say this, guys, don't reject me or make records to disrespect me waiting or indirectly.
Speaker 3: That's a bar.
Speaker 2: That's a bar.
Speaker 4: That is a bar. Who do you take it from?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not going to say I want the viewers.
Speaker 1: I want our audience to drop a comment and let me know finish that bar. For me if you can, because we're going to get into the rap beefs the latest with j Cole and Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 2: But what does that have to do with politics? We'll tell you.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned to the end of the podcast, and all right to my producer Nick, make like a DJ Collin and drop that beat.
Speaker 3: Oh major key.
Speaker 1: On a more serious note, honestly, imagine somebody offering you two point five billion dollars to feed.
Speaker 2: Food and secure children.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and if they are offering you this and your response is NA or is it nah, no or not either one. That's what half the Republican governors are saying to this program. So let me just explain to the audience before we get into this. So Congress passed a new bipartisan two point five billion dollar program. Can we just pause for a second and say how rare it is for Congress to pass anything that's bipartisan? And so the program is known as Summer EBT, and the program will provide families about forty dollars a month per child who receives reduced price meals at school for free or free meals exactly, Thank you, so, reduced or free meals every Democratic governor will distribute these grocery cards this summer, but half the Republican governors are saying no. And these red state refusals will keep children. We'll keep aid from about ten million children. So that's a really serious thing for hungry kids. We're talking about this because this is an example of the federal government allocating funds, but your locally elected officials are operating autonomously, and so I just want to kick us off with and hear from some of these such governors. We're going to start off with South Carolina's Republican governor Henry Mecmaster.
Speaker 2: Let's hear what he has to say about the program.
Speaker 7: We already have programs to provide food for people below a certain income. We already have that. Also, keep in mind we have food banks galore. At some point we must end these pandemic programs. The pandemic is over all, right.
Speaker 1: That was a Republican governor of South Carolina, Henri Meckmaster.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in you guys about this. Angela.
Speaker 1: You have a unique lens because you worked on Congress, so you can speak to how this is passed by artisan and also just your opinion on it. And Andrew being a locally elected official. This is very frustrating because so many people will say, oh, well, Biden didn't do this, and it's like they don't make the connection with the federal government is allocating this, but these Republican governors are saying, no, thanks.
Speaker 2: What do I think about this?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I'll let Angela take it from the federal but real quick, the governor who was just speaking, governorment masters his state. What has a twelve percent or so rate of children in poverty? What a luxury that is that you can be the governor. So we've got food bank's glore, Yet twelve percent of children, not adults, not families, but children go without food, many children. And I've come to experience this. I mean I was one of those kids who was on free lunch when I was in school. When you didn't have that lunch, you didn't eat, you ate breakfast, you ate lunch, and if you weren't an after school program that was largely subsidized, you got a little bit of snack after school and hopefully a little bit more to take home with you as you exited the door, and that would have been your meal until you come back. To school the next day and over the weekend. All across this country, millions of kids go hungry because of the absence of food. And I'm sorry, y'all. I believe this is true in Gaza, and I believe it ought to be true here in the United States, that food is a right and that everybody ought to have access to sustenance so long as you live.
Speaker 1: It's more than a right, it's a human need. It's a human love that you made the point about you can't learn when you're hungry. So before I go to you, Angela, there was another Republican governor from Nebraska, Governor Jim Allen, who would initially declined this program to feed hungry children in his state. So take a listen to what he said, and then I'll tell you what happened on the other side of the sound bite. That's another form of welfare that's just simply disagree and it's not doing our kids any good. Governor Jim Allen was confronted by children who said, you know, over the summer, I don't eat sometimes because I don't get these meals, Angela, And thankfully.
Speaker 2: He reversed course.
Speaker 1: But why does it take children like why do we have to put these children out to advocate to these governors, so do just what's right?
Speaker 8: I think, you know, I feel like we're in a time where human beings are lacking conscience to score political points. And I think that that has always been the case, but it's even greater now. I was looking at the data for the Electronic Benefit Transfer for the summer program, and five of the poorest states in the country, the states with the highest poverty rates, have said no to this program. That's Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, which is the poorest, Oklahoma, and Texas. And that tells you how morally depraved, frankly, these governors are, especially when you look at kids.
Speaker 3: We're talking about not a lot of money.
Speaker 8: It's forty dollars a month supplementation for these kids and one hundred and twenty dollars for the whole summer.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 8: Why would you say no to that type of support? And then here's the worst part. They're saying that they don't support handouts. They support handouts. It just depends on whose hand is out right.
Speaker 2: Corporations for one, Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: You don't they put their own they have to put it in their own states when the money's coming down to do what they wanted to do right bridge money. Remember how all them folks voted against Biden's legislation then showed up at ribbon cuttings and taking credit. Their donors are the construction companies that are building many of these facilities, bridges, homes, public infrastructure. I just want to say, real quick.
Speaker 8: Have any place like they don't have to decide what family they're born into, but you're gonna punish the kids completely.
Speaker 4: I just to correct myself South Carolina, I said twelve percent inverted. It's twenty one percent of the children in South Carolina are food and secure import Governor Allen twelve percent in his state find themselves in that same, very same condition. I guess the big thing for me is a lot of these guys are using red tape. They're saying with government funding. These governors are saying it comes with strings, so we don't want the strings that are com it's not enough juice for the squeeze. Even going so far, let me say the governor of Oklahoma said that this program comes with strings, and by the way, there are only a few children who are going to be impacted. The governor of Oklahoma should know that a few children in his state represents four hundred and three thousand children who will not have access to summer food this summer thanks to his intransigence and opposition. As Angel already pointed out, for political reasons only, there's nothing to be gained, there's nothing to be response.
Speaker 1: But I think the most acidine of these responses, that was like a slap in the face to literally hungry children. This is the the so called pro life crowd, as they call themselves, and I always say they care about fetuses, they don't care about actual children. The Republican governor of Iowa, Kim Reynolds, Her concern was this might lead to childhood'll be opacity. Oh that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever Oh, don't feed the kids, they gonna get fat, right, right.
Speaker 4: But those are the kinds of things that they reach for. And y'all know, this is part of the culture that's playing out in states all over the country where Republican governors, in this quote anti woke campaign, against wokeness, the welfare state, so on and so forth, are engineering their voters to believe that anyone who's on ebt government assistants is abusing the program. Yeah, never mind that the majority of folks who are on those programs are white Americans. The image that they often portray are barefoot, poor black families, mothers with children with no fathers, And that simply isn't the representation of who is the beneficiary, the majority beneficiary of these programs. And by the way, when it comes to black families, the majority of these beneficiaries, actually all of them are working. Many of them are working around the clock sets so that they can't pick up their kids. How do I know this? By the way, for those who are asking, because it's a requirement, you gotta work if you're going to receive these benefits. And unfortunately, a lot of folks also making the choice that I am not going to take a job because the time I spend on the job doesn't earn me enough to even put food on the table, And so they make the choice to put their children's you know, need for food to eat, sustenance before their own ability to work. And I just think it's a shame that we are we are stigmatizing even further for families.
Speaker 1: Historically, it was Ronald Reagan, the original make America this racialized debate around welfare when that you point out statistically more white Americans are on it. Before we move on, I just want to say, Angela gave you a few states. I want to list all the states thanks to our research assistant Lolo, who says, these are the states who said no that opted out of the EBC program. Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.
Speaker 2: Shame on all of.
Speaker 8: Them, but also not just shame, but if you live in these states or you have family members who live in these states. I know we're not at cost to action yet, but I think it's important here for y'all to know we are not.
Speaker 3: Just complaining about this.
Speaker 8: We are telling you to call the governor's office and let them know that you do not stand with them on this.
Speaker 1: That's right, none, that's right, it's nonsense.
Speaker 4: And I'll just say lastly on this, the money is going to be spent. Why the hell would you reject it from your state? For many of these people. If you're living in these states, you're likely a donor state to the federal government. If you're in Texas and Florida and Georgia and some of the others that are listed here, you're sending more money up then you're bringing back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you're letting states you know who are much smaller, bigfoot over your tax dollars coming home to feed the children in your in your own state.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you're declining hungry children food, you're a jackass. All Right, we got to take a quick break because it's necessary. We have a quick break. We're going to be right back after these messages and stay with us. Welcome back, Welcome home, everybody, Welcome back to the Native lampod. So I want to throw out an interesting number of political ad spending will hit twelve point three.
Speaker 2: Two billion this year.
Speaker 1: Now, that's according to eMarketer, that's a market research company, And for context, that's nearly three times what it was in twenty sixteen. And I remember hearing the numbers in twenty sixteen thinking that's better be retulus. Yes, and they keep increasing. I don't even know how to stop it. But I'm curious from you guys one where are see people seeing political ads? Because I feel like as more people are court cutters and not watching lindear or television.
Speaker 2: Where are these ads being placed?
Speaker 1: And to have any of us ever really been swayed by a political ad, Andrew, you've cut political ads? So curious even the decision to go negative an attack on opponent versus what you say about yourself, it's not an impactful ad. And for people, for our audience, I would love to hear from you guys on what a political ad would look like if it was catered to you and spoke to the issues, and it had validators that you could resonate with. So political ads became a really big issue in the eighties, you know, as there was more broadcasts and more opportunities to reach voters.
Speaker 2: People took advantage of that.
Speaker 1: One particular ad that really set the tone, I think for a lot of Black Americans, Yes, was the Willy Horton ad. So when political ads gained more prominence, it was with the race between George H. W. Bush and Democratic candidate Michael Dukaki. So let's play the Willy Horton ad. And so for our viewers who are listening and not watching, Willy Horton is, of course a black man who was a convicted criminal, and form your own opinion.
Speaker 2: After this, let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: Bush and Doucaca's Son crime. Bush supports the death penalty for first degree murderers. Doucacas not only opposes the death penalty, he allowed first degree murderers to have weekend passes from prison. One was Willie Horton, who murdered a boy and a robbery, stabbing him nineteen times. Despite a life sentence, Horton received ten weekend passes from prison. Horton fled, kidnapped a young couple, stabbing the man and repeatedly raping his girlfriend. Weekend prison passes do Coaca's son crime.
Speaker 1: Obviously that crime is grotesque, but to put this black man out there, it was sending a different signal to a lot of voters at that time. And of course George a w bish like tripled spending he built.
Speaker 4: Well, when you triple spending, you deserve to have your name.
Speaker 1: Yes, was building prisons and put a lot of money, really into a very punishing criminal justice system.
Speaker 4: But I helped to help to create the industrial complex.
Speaker 2: That we have, the president industrial complex. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: But I want to hear from you guys because there are so like as the times. As the decades have gone on, there are so many other issues with political ads. One, now we have AI you know, how might that impact political ads? Now we have a thousand things pulling at our attention, from streaming.
Speaker 2: To digital to gaming. So where are we seeing these ads?
Speaker 1: And aren't what we come to a point where political ads don't even matter anymore? Will it just be a game of information and disinformation? So I don't know, Andrew, you know, so just.
Speaker 4: Real quick on the where are we seeing these I see it every time I open my phone going to I mean as any any social media site, any website. No no, no, not the willing.
Speaker 3: Wanted to know what happened. I just wanted to see what happened to them. I have update w.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but let me I mean, the political space is increasingly moving, I think toward the corporate advertising space, including engaging many of these previously exclusively corporate advertising firms to bring them on the political side and say, how do we reach these folks now that we are not dealing with thirty million Americans sitting down at one time looking at television, you know, on the tube, if you will, They're looking at it anywhere. They're graphing information from everywhere, and just because folks, I'm sitting at home looking at traditional television does not mean no one should conclude that. That doesn't mean they're not getting information and news, some of it fake news, others of it legitimate news every single place they go, right, and so politics has to be there as well. I personally have the opinion that these ads serve to be more of a profit for your supporters. It helps them hear your message and then go out and share it with others. It gives them confident, it's motivational, and I think it helps to rally your base. It's sort of like political campaign side. I'm sure there's a lot of research and posters out there. I didn't I don't necessarily believe that the people who I hear from when my campaign signs weren't on a street corner were my supporters. The people who I heard from or my ads weren't up in a certain part of the state, were my supporters saying we keep seeing all you know, Dianna's ads, but we don't see any of your ads. They weren't coming from, you know, the opposition, saying I wonder what is Andrew Gilman have to say about what DeSantis just said, Well, just because.
Speaker 2: You brought that up, can I play one?
Speaker 1: Stay tuned because we're gonna play this ad, But I also want to update on Willie horton that and just found out. But I want to stay to what you said because DeSantis, honestly, in twenty eighteen, I thought he was such a weirdo and he without this super weird, cringey ad where he is for the folks who are listening and not watching, where he's talking to his children and his wife is kind of like the voiceover of that.
Speaker 2: It's so cringe. So let's take a quick listen to that.
Speaker 1: I apologize to the viewers have to suffer through this, but I think it's important so you can see what kind of ads were looking at.
Speaker 2: This was DeSantis.
Speaker 1: Ron DeSantis, Republican illuminatorial candidate in Florida in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look.
Speaker 10: Everyone knows my husband, Ron DeSantis is endorsed by President Trump, but he's also an amazing dad. Ron loves playing with the kids, build the wall, he reads stories.
Speaker 4: Then mister Trump said you're fired. I love that part.
Speaker 3: He's teaching Madison to talk make.
Speaker 4: America great again.
Speaker 10: People say Ron's all Trump, but he is so much.
Speaker 5: More, big league, so good.
Speaker 2: I just thought you should.
Speaker 4: Know Ron DeSantis for governor.
Speaker 3: He didn't, I mean, but my home.
Speaker 4: Aside from the message, though, I have to say I cringed with that ad because I know the pains that my wife and I went through when we talked about when we would have our kids out on the trail, how and what was appropriate as it relates to cameras around the children and certainly if they were ever to be used in a politic ad. Could you imagine you know, you know, real committed parents deciding to sit their children down in the middle of the most hotly contested political debate build a wall or not build a wall, and say, yeah, we're building that wall. Trump now a convicted or accused and certainly found guilty libel of molesting and sexually arresting women. We all know what he did when he was president. I mean, but this.
Speaker 2: After grab them by the you know what.
Speaker 4: There isn't even a Democrat I want to sit down with with my children and a political ad and I will say that against you know, but that's how you feel about your family. You want to protect them as best you can, as best you can, certainly in a hot political debate, and to sit down with your kids in the middle of a hateful ad and a hateful debate around building a wall or not, to me, is just it's wild. I saw it. I thought it was disgusting when I saw it. I think it'sscussing now. Well.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though, I feel like sometimes these ads don't speak to us.
Speaker 2: I feel like people.
Speaker 1: I feel like they do kind of run these ads with majority white audiences like they're trying to speak to them, and I do. I think about like what if, like if we wanted to hear from somebody, Like what would ads look like if they truly targeted multi generational black voters the same way they do white voters.
Speaker 8: I'm telling you one thing, it ain't gonna sound like a Popeye's commercial. That's what's irritating to me. Like entering when it gets close to election time, it's so frustrating.
Speaker 3: It's like, let's break out the gospel boir be in the cookout.
Speaker 8: It is so pejorative and typical, and it's it is really really frustrating. I think that there are ways that ads can and should be motivational. I think that it doesn't need to look like indoctrination like what we just saw with Rhonda Santa Sent's kids.
Speaker 3: It also doesn't need to look like what was her name, I'm not a witch?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: So weird.
Speaker 8: She's so Christine O'donnald but like it's it was just so bizarre. Like now, when people think of political ads, I think they immediately think of I am not a witch. But there are several places where people can be reached. I think a lot of us spend too much time on social media. They have political ads they run on there now, and they aren't just targeted to supporters.
Speaker 3: It's people that you don't agree with.
Speaker 8: YouTube runs a ton of ads, Streamers, and if certainly podcasts, People when they tune into this podcast will hear political ads. This moment where we're taking to review political ads is not that. But to that point, I think that going back to this Willie Horton ad with h W Bish, it's fascinating because it really began I think my exposure to what the Boogeyman strategy was all about. Republicans typically use and approach in political spaces and debates at the state of the Union. Now that that has become call and response where they will find someone where they seen the Democratic Party or their opponent fail and hold that person out as the example of what politics will look like under this person's tenure and under their watch. So Willie Horton, what I didn't realize was Michael Ducaccus had actually supported a furlough policy. He pushed it while he was governor, and it actually was a law that was passed by a Republican governor in nineteen seventy two. And I never the thing wasn't a life update about Willy Horton. I was just like, oh my god, we would have never known that. And even when you hear Willy Horton, you immediately think about Michael Ducacus. That is the successful implementation of a boogeyman strategy. We typically don't play that way Progressives, black folks and the Democratic Party doesn't play that way.
Speaker 3: And I think it's to our own detriment.
Speaker 8: This is we often sit on the opposite side of folks who have several boogeymen, several like you know, Donald Trump's boogeyman is how many people died from COVID in the United States.
Speaker 3: Why he waited to respond to the pandemic.
Speaker 8: Right, the people who borrowed PPP money and didn't pay it back and it was fraudulent. They were following their leader. Even if they were black folks or brown folks, they were following their leader.
Speaker 3: They're thinking, I can be evincible.
Speaker 8: This man is stolen from a gazillion people, gone bankrupt, did all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: I can follow my leader.
Speaker 8: He should be a boogeyman. The people that followed his model should be boogeyman. You know, he is the Boogeyman of the Central Park five. We don't ever take that approach. We try to go hi, Michelle Obama.
Speaker 3: We need to be low, low, low to the flow. I'm sorry, ye. And it's not because we're trying to be mean or evil.
Speaker 8: It's because there are a gazillion examples of what can go wrong under this leadership. If we're not going to be telling the successful stories and telling showing accomplishments, then we need to go low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 4: The thing is a lot of the questions, who are you talking who are you talking to? Because that's the big question around these asks, who are you trying to who's the audience? And and nine times out of ten, the campaigns are making a choice between two things. A person who they know is going to vote but are not yet sure who that person may vote for, versus a person who might look like they're part of your demographic, yet they don't have a high propensity for voting. So do I cut an ad to inspire, motivate, and move that person who is unlikely to vote based off their record and trust that my ad is going to be what then puts them over, moves them closer to getting out to vote. Or do I go after that voter I eat Nicki Haley. I know we're moving into that conversation, the nicky Haley, disenfranchised homeless, the voter who's sitting out there saying, I voted every cycle, and I voted Republican every cycle, but Trump is a nonstose for me. I cannot vote for him. So the president then makes a decision. Do I then go for that voter who has a habit of voting and likely we'll go in and vote even if they don't vote for president, may vote everything underneath the presidency. Should I spend money trying to get that person to go in and cast the ballot for me. That's that's largely the choice that campaigns are making. And I will tell you when I ran my.
Speaker 3: Primary, choice did you make?
Speaker 4: We went toward building a new base, right I think?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you could test because the media largely discounted you in they did not guess what.
Speaker 4: They weren't shown up in the polling. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: On the day of the primary, the day before the primary, the last poll that came up to the primary race had me running fifth out of five candidates.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fifth out of five because they were looking at all the traditional news sources and who had heard of me and that kind of thing. Well, we were putting billboards up in neighborhoods that had been hadn't seen a new billboard in ten years yea hours nor to start, So our strategy wasn't on the mainstream media. We use some other technics that I could have how.
Speaker 1: To touch that showed how they're out of touch. But I love that you brought up the fact that it was that you can afford. People don't understand how these media bides are very expensive. We just said twelve point two to three billion billion with a B dollars, Andrew, I just want to say, I think your campaign, your campaign ads, it was innovative. You know, we had seen similar things with Barack Obama, but that was at a national level, at a local level, with a community as diverse as Florida. And it's not just diverse. There are within black people. It's diverse, you know, when you think about Afro Latinos, when you think about Haitians, when you think about you know, different immigrants at right exactly, I want to just really quickly if we can, because this was a political ad that resonated with me.
Speaker 3: And I know we're coming up on four twenty this look guys.
Speaker 1: But this ad in particular, I thought was very audacious and innovative and courageous for sure. So I want to play this ad from Gary Chambers, who was running for senate. Yeah, yeah, Senate in Louisiana. And for the people who are listening and not watching, he is just sitting in an empty field, lighting something in his hand that he's about to smoke.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 11: Every thirty seven seconds, someone is arrested for possession of marijuana. Since twenty ten, state and local police have arrested and estimated seven point three million Americans for violating marijuana laws, over half of all drug arrests. Black people are four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana laws than white people. States waste three point seven billion dollars enforcing marijuana laws every year. Most of the people police are arresting aren't dealers, but rather people with small amounts of pot, just like me. I'm Gary Chambers and I'm running for the US Senate and I approved this message.
Speaker 3: I love it and love it.
Speaker 1: First of all, you can't see that we were just coming. That is a pretty big blunt in this man's hands. But beyond it is not about like I'm encouraging you or discouraging you from using marijua. It is about it is a political issue, a state resource issue, and he's saying, this is what you all doing in normalizing. This is what I do, the same way you may go home and have a glass of wine. This is what I do. That spoke to so many people who said, yes, this ad speaks to me. I feel seen. And so he'd lost that Senate race. Unfortunately, he was run against Kennedy, right, Yeah, the Republican and the Republican won because he had deeper pockets.
Speaker 2: But just the fact that.
Speaker 1: He was saying, yes, all of you, you folks who look like me, who might indulge in this, I am bold enough to say, I see you, I speak to you, I recognize you as a valid voting block that I want to engage.
Speaker 8: So I like you also got hit pretty hard. I think some of the folks who are the worst defenders of respectability politics are black folks. Yes, so it trives me crazy, especially in the South. You know, there were folks in Louisiana like, how dare he do this? This is too risky. He doesn't come from the same pedigree. You know this, you know, someone who's a rising star through the traditional ranks. He did not have the support of, you know, kind of a democratic bench, you know, like where are you? You disrupted the bench that we actually aren't investing in building. So, you know, I love this ad And one of the things I love even more is Gary took that loss and used it as when beneath his wings, we actually were just touching base recently because Gary started a civics project where he's going around the country to talk to people about how to get involved and every single level level of government.
Speaker 3: It's called Civics for the people.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 8: And he is literally training people in multiple states. I was like, I see a partnership opportunity on the horizon with Native Lampire for the people.
Speaker 2: I want to say how I came to know him.
Speaker 4: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: Viral because he got up talk about you, Connie.
Speaker 4: He went, but he went there regularly. Right, there was a main stay at the in the in the county where he lived, going to the school board. Connie didn't want to hear about some of the the racial issues that Connie's own line shopping for clothes during the public speaking part, and he called her out and then zoom in on his phone and I but but it was so real, it was so authentic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I love about the ad and I think it accomplished two things. One, he used the dramatics of something you would not see on television. Right, somebody's smoking with still is I think the majority of states and illegal substance and federally it's still.
Speaker 1: And the ad was thirty seven seconds when he was saying every thirty seven ee.
Speaker 4: So intentional with regard to the timing, intentional regard. I'm gonna use something that is totally taboo to grab your attention and why you're looking at me, I'm gonna spit facts. And so if you were a viewer, I guarantee you did. You did not turn the television. You did not. You didn't flip past that ad when you saw what was taboo, and like no one does this, he did it and he reached and audience the problem. You know, Angela, you point out a lot the respectability politics.
Speaker 1: And black and the fact that, but Angel's point was that black folks are the ones.
Speaker 4: And I also get it. I also get it. It's not always just not in front of mister Charlie. It's also we've worked too hard and come too far to break out of a box of what they have put us in, what they make of us, so what they think we are, and the truth is is, like everybody else, we are a vast, colorful array of people. We're not a monolith, as is no one and so we have a right to express ourselves in whatever ways. But because folks had to go about it the hard way, and I have respect for it and pay homage to it, but it doesn't mean that what got us here is going to keep us here and certainly doesn't mean what got us here, but it won't if they are retracting. You understand, we are in a generation now where rights are not being expanded, which has been the American experiment since its founding was to buy and buy and buy expand AX has expand rights. We should have had it on day one. Nonetheless, they got to it day four hundred whatever. Yeah, But the point is is that people, folks, folks still assume that we are we are playing polite on all sides. That manual was ripped up a long time ago. Burn it was burned, ripped up there.
Speaker 1: Don't want to hear how well you can work with folks across the aisle.
Speaker 2: That's not the one is not true.
Speaker 8: I wish I actually wish that that were the case and were it was like that one I worked on the hill.
Speaker 3: It was I mean, not on everything, but a little bit you could work with. Now they can't even work with each other. Yeah, you know, but into that, you know.
Speaker 4: But they're using the tools of government, the tools that we that we have given them towards the end goal of making our lives better. They're using them, weaponizing them against a political opponent. Take the theft of the Supreme Court justice under Barack Obama a year into a year out from the president's re election, that we are not going to entertain a sitting sworn in commander in chief, which means up until the moment he is no longer president at noon on January twenty first, whatever in nineteenth but until that day your president, and so what member of the Congress gets to abridge your powers as President of the United States because they determined you were a year out from an election and a.
Speaker 3: Political ad that encourage it exactly.
Speaker 1: Speaking of political can I just self promote for a minute, because I think to the point how the mainstream media completely discarded you and I know you guys. Every week I feel like I'm discount and discounted. Yes, every week, I'm like dumping on the media because I feel like the mainstream media is.
Speaker 2: Just utter trash, it's garbage.
Speaker 1: But I think there is something that when Native lamppod debut, we debuted number one across all categories, not just news, across all categories, and I think there's something to people saying you speak to me, you speak about issues I care about, you make this conversation interactive. I can tune in and you're explaining things to me. You're informing me, You're not just giving your opinions. And I think that says something about where the American body politic is sure. And while the mainstream media outlets political ads, all of these, they cater to a shrinking demographic, we audaciously speak to a growing demographic. And I encourage more people. There should be people in every pocket of all you know, ethnicities. There will be no racial majority in this country in twenty forty four. So this propensity to cater to white voters, I think people are gonna have to adjust. I want to get to something you said though, and kind of shift us a little bit, because you were talking about the Nikki Hayley voters, and that is the whole thing about these new friends. You know, well, because as people are shifting from the Republican Party and they feel like politically homeless, I do wonder about that, and I think that that deserves some of our attention. Here will democrats not just in political ads, because we're seeing that, Angela, you talked. I looked up Angela and I we were all together last night. Angela rolled up on us with her camera. We'll see, we'll drop that behind the scenes later. Yeah, but we were talking. We ended up hanging out last night and we were talking about this memo that came out with President Joe Biden going after these nicky Haley voters.
Speaker 2: I think I have it, Angela.
Speaker 1: You may know more than I do on this, but essentially the Biden administration, Yeah, the Biden campaign, forgive me. They are spending more than a million dollars on an ad campaign across digital platforms in battleground states. It was part of a six week, thirty million dollar ad buy after the President's mark seventh State of the Union, going after some of these nicky Hayley voters and some of the Republican voters who feel politically homeless. I find this very frustrating because nationally, Democrats have not won the majority white vote since nineteen sixty four. That was the year that Lyndon Johnson ran and even he lost that white Southern coalition to Bury Goldwater. So on the other side of this break, I want us to pick up on that conversation and talk about that. So stay with us, audience at home. We're going to dig into that. Will Democrats shift to accommodate GOP voters. That's on the other side. Stay with us, We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: High Native Lampid.
Speaker 3: My name is Kyle.
Speaker 6: I'm from New Jersey. So I have a question because there's always this rhetoric, specifically in the black community, about how Democrats don't do enough for Black people and how they constantly take our votes for granted. And my question is, why is it that the Democrats don't display what they have done for the Black community more?
Speaker 2: All right, Kyle, thank you for that question, is right.
Speaker 1: I love when our viewers are like right on target with what we're talking about. So, Kyle, we're about to get into that very subject about GOP voters and the Democratic Party trying to make inroads with them and not talking enough about what they do for black folks.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So before the break, we were talking about this shift of you know, politically homeless GOP voters, and I we could.
Speaker 2: Make the argument that black folks are also politically homeless.
Speaker 1: We've been squatting in this house because of the rage and storm outside, but we are homeless too, and so get in the house that we built. Imagine that Quadden in the House that we for free, as Angela Ray always says, we built this joint for free. So with more than a million dollars on this ad campaign, I am curious, like, where is the equivalently matched because the mainstream media, again although ill framed and I would argue against it, but they're constantly talking about black voters or you know, iffy on President Joe Biden, so it might make sense to me that you might make great efforts to reach us. I'm curious I could have this wrong. I'm curious what you guys think about it. Throughout this conversation. I do want to I have a white woman and a white man who are talking about where they stand politically, so I'll play those sound bites later. But I'm just curious your thoughts of off the cuff, Angela, what do you think about this whole? Are you concerned because I'm concerned that the Democrats will shift policy wise to accommodate these voters, but curious your take?
Speaker 3: Are you sure they have not shifted?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 8: What is frustrating about this conversation because you are like no new friends, is this is not a new conversation. This is another old attempt at trying to get people who are new to them again.
Speaker 3: And they're not coming back. There's no like.
Speaker 8: It's the people that like the little kids that go to school be like, will you play with me? And it's the little mean kid is like, no, that's what's happening here. They're not going to play with you. They throw a tea an Truman said, if Nikki Hanley didn't win, I'll never vote for Trump.
Speaker 3: Then they turn around and said, it's like, I'm just playing. I'm voting for Trump.
Speaker 8: But yet and still they're going to spend all of this money and then come to us in the eleventh hour, probably after the DNC convention, despite Jamie Harrison's best efforts to try to get them to invest in black communities, talking to black communities and a multi year plan.
Speaker 2: Famie Harrison, Terrace and DNC the Democratic National Committee.
Speaker 8: He does and despite his best attempts, I think that we are going to find ourselves back in a seat in August or September with them.
Speaker 2: He's a black man who ran presented in South Carolina.
Speaker 8: And still white people run the party. And so even though he is in a leadership role, he should have every say. He is brilliant, worked on Capitol Hill, was a registered lobbyist doing great work. I call him a thought partner, amazing guy. They're not listening in the ways that they should. This man comes from South Carolina. He knows what it's like to be in a rural community and ignored, just like Andrew targeted rural black voters when he ran for and understand so. Yet you would just think that at some point you would listen to the people who know these communities because they're of these communities. And instead you continue to take the same old tire tactics and are surprised where you don't get better results. To Andrew's point, we don't have any choice but to grow the base. You can't continue to do the same things, targeting the same people and think that you are going to significantly increase your your your return on investment. Your investment is the same. It's to the same people who ain't thinking about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they're playing with the marbles that are on the table, right No one's looking at the fact that of the marbles that are on the table, Guess what, y'all, there is one hundred percent of those underneath the table. Yeah, And this is a true statement. Half Americans don't vote. So you're looking at what's on the table, and what's on the table, you can double that if you look under yes, yeah, and pick a couple up right. So, and it's a risky strategy only because it isn't what the consultant class is convincing. You need to be pursued. So everybody who was part of the general traditional consulting class at least am I resent Florida in the primary they were with a particular candidate, and then got spread across as the field grew, thought we were ridiculous with our very limited resources. And I don't know, I can't remember the saying. One of y'all may be able to remember it. But basically, the reason why we had to innovate is because when you don't have no resources and you got to make a way out of no way, creativity flourishes.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: You come up with all kinds of things. Water is going to go to the cracks. So we found our way to the cracks with what we had. And in most cases you're dealing with a set of finite resources. They can grow or shrink on the margins and then with those finite resources you and the consultant class, most of the consulting classes, is making a choice around where you want to spend those limited resources.
Speaker 1: Right, And they say, do you don't look like us?
Speaker 4: And guess what, I think the ones who do look like us are often parroting a strategy that they were taught, often in the big houses of communications and firms and that country. So they didn't come in and you think you've got a person who will understand what it means to speak to marginalized communities and moving the vote, they don't have a god damn clue because that's not who they're dealing with. They were trained and how to deal with the marbles on the table and what I'm suggesting in what we did.
Speaker 2: A lot of things.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I think that our folks don't get chances on your campaign.
Speaker 4: Because they don't get chances they I get that folks aren't willing to experiment. My point is is there was no pathway to victory for us other than creating a base that could take us there. We knew that the people existed, but it was then a very challenging fight, even for me as a candidate. I'm leading my name's on the ballot. Why am I fighting with you about the resources I went out and raised to support the campaign about where those moneys are going to be spent. So those choices have to be made. My plead to the party would because I get what's happening. What happening is do we take what we know is gonna be there and borrow from it Republicans who may not support Trump this sign and borrow from it. Or do we take what we know is a group of people who would be with us if they voted, but they don't vote. But let's take the risk to grow that number. Yeah, bet that they may come out and support us and take the chance of losing a race because we targeted largely communities who didn't have a pattern of showing up on election day, and that's a risk that a lot of candidate I'm just saying, who.
Speaker 8: I'm going to fight you on one thing? You can not physical not physical law Andrew. I don't know if you remember this, because you were very busy trying to raise money and prepare for debates on your campaign. We hired a firm I won't say the name on here, but we hired a firm that was more corporate in their marketing approach. It was a black firm. The reason we did that is because of what you just raised. There are some folks who were trained inside the who went outside the box. This marketing agency did big campaigns for some successful corporations and they took that same approach to Andrew's campaign and it was it was very well received.
Speaker 4: That's true. So I don't want to paint You're right. I was want to paint everybody with a broad brush. Yeah, because you're right, But those weren't people who grew up who were trained up of political advertising. This is what it is, right, these were. This was a different This was a different section, and those folks are not being engaged largely in these political campaigns at the level that they should be. Yeah, And all I'm saying is is I think we can do both at one time. You have to first of all, if you're raising more money than has ever been raised before for the office of presidency, you're not being limited by whether or not you can talk to a base or grow a base. You can do both. You can walk, chew gum, grow a base, and then and then double down on the plan by.
Speaker 8: They cannot risk aversion like to your point, like, how dare you have?
Speaker 3: How much was it again?
Speaker 1: Tiff was one point two to three billion, twelve point political Like you if you're a million.
Speaker 4: I go after right, No, that is hardly the number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's way more thirty million dollar ad buy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but all I'm saying is one million was just for the digital platform.
Speaker 3: And I bet you that's even under well, but.
Speaker 2: That's all that was all according to.
Speaker 4: The Washington Let's look at the ads and then say who they're talking to and of that, then come up with that number. Let's say thirteen million people and then divide the total costs by thirteen and that's how much they're spending on Nicki Hagen and other otherwise. But here's which is the lion's share of money that will be raised and spent. This is what say, this much of the life.
Speaker 8: And this is my point, right, like if you're in the fight for your life. I keep saying, this election is a political war, it is not a campaign as usual.
Speaker 3: Then that means you have.
Speaker 8: To take a lot of risks. You have to take a lot of risks. You got to find people under the marbles, under the table. You have to go in and in a way that you've never gone in before. You cannot listen to the same old, same old, because this is different. It is just very different. If you're not just in a campaign and you're in the battle for your life. You're bringing in people who have all kinds of different tactics, have used all kinds of different tools. They're innovators, and we might even disagree with Yes, yeah, I'm not seeing that right now, and I think that they've got to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, can I can I just really quickly interject with some new reporting. It came from Pew Research just this week. Republicans have made significant gains among voters without a college degree. These voters are rule voters and white evangelical voters, not black votes. The trend toward the Republican Party among white voters without a college degree has continued Democrats. Democrats have lost ground among those voters and among Hispanic voters too. Now, do you want to point out a voter's party affiliation does not always predict how they will vote. But Democrats have held on the key constituencies like black voters, younger voters, and they gain grounds with college educated voters.
Speaker 3: To me, it makes.
Speaker 1: Sense if you see you are continuing to lose this white vote. Why on God's green earth are you spending thirty million dollars to go and say please come back and ignoring, severely ignoring, and not spending dollars and not doing I think an audacious enough outreach to voters who look like us.
Speaker 2: It is a slap in the face.
Speaker 1: And I want but I just want to save y'all's mentions for a second, because every time we talk about this, Andrew, you are wise to stay on social media, because every time we talk about this, people are.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, you know, y'all trying to get people to stay home and not vote.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're not opposite.
Speaker 1: We're saying get out there and vote, and they're saying vote best in our vote. And on the other side, Angela, because you get this a lot too. It's like, you know, they say, you know, y'all are putting down this administration and the presidency. I think Angela, you say it best when you say, if not for us, then who can make demands of this political party that we have helped uphold. For the small margin of people who are Trump voters, who are Republican voters. They're one and the same at this point, who you know are filled with misinformation. Those people are not large enough who say, oh, you gotta see the light on the other side, There is no light on the other side. You have been bamboozle my friend. So this conversation is important enough to us that we're saying we are advocating for you. You often say this, Angela, I'm thinking about black folks exclusively. I'm thinking about black folks. I understand that perspective, and we are saying this is what we demand of you because you are the person, or you are the party that is harm reduction. We are not advocates for this party. We don't really give a shit about parties we give. We care about what helps our people. How does it cause of the least harm for.
Speaker 4: That though, That is why I'm in favor of a strategy that says we can do both. I get that you're not going to get You can go after voters who you believe are gettable even though they have not traditionally been with you. And by the way, the go after is if in the messaging, it's largely on reproductive a woman's right to decide for herself about her body and it's IVF and those discrete set of issues. Now, when our agenda begins to start turning and resembling that of the Republican Party, then you've lost me at every single at every single turn. I think you can go after low hanging food on the other side, but you don't have to do it at the decapitation of picking marbles up that have rolled off or that have never been there and putting them on the table and investing in it over time. You can do both things. We're not dealing with a cashtrap campaign on our side to be dealing with.
Speaker 3: Me are dealing with cash strap people though, and I think.
Speaker 4: We're dealing there with idea strap people.
Speaker 3: No cash strap people too.
Speaker 8: I think to your point, going after people who don't who may not have much, but they do have their vote, we can figure out ways to strateig remind people of how powerful that is, even when you're down on your look on every other side, like going into empoverished communities and starting where Tips started the podcast today, did you know that childhood e b T is under attack in your state? That's the ad you runcause because what it does is going back to what Gary's doing. You're not just saying, so come vote for me. You're saying, call your governor first. And after you make that call and they don't do right by you, remember at the federal level, we will.
Speaker 3: We stand with you.
Speaker 4: They are running that ad because they know what's on the other side of it, which is the right and rapid response, ready to say this is the welfare state, and Democrats are going to I'm saying, this is what the debate is in the room. As we all know, they're making a calculation, do we lose the persuadable middle if we double down?
Speaker 3: Run you said, lead the kids out. Let me tell you to add I'm running.
Speaker 8: I would get a child or several kids who are diverse from the state of Mississippi. I will go right into the heart of Mississippi and tell and have them talk about how they can't afford to eat. Run what they ate for lunch that day, run run what they're eating for the week, talk about what actually is on their plate, and then run the ad saying that this governor said that this child does not tour, does not deserve a hot meal, and then show that this is what the federal government supported.
Speaker 3: Now you might not be able to overturn who.
Speaker 8: Is the city governor in the office, but you can certainly ensure that at the federal level they are held accountable.
Speaker 3: That is the ad because that is the truth.
Speaker 8: And even if they come back talking about a welfare state, the kid comes back and says, no, it's not a welfare state. But I'm a poor kid and I deserve to have my dreams fulfilled.
Speaker 4: I'm glad we likely.
Speaker 3: I'm a dream of word in here. Listen, amazing.
Speaker 4: No, we have this because we did this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is that, this is this has been built up.
Speaker 4: The problem is they consider it to be an anomaly and not a new strategy to wage war. Right, an anomaly that was you had a special that's not true. And we simply decided to see all of us and not just some.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of friend your own experience.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, like, this is why you have to have a diverse bench.
Speaker 1: Because you are frating candidates who think like how they were raised. Yes, this is my frustration. I want to play these sound bites. There's a white woman voter. Can we play the SoundBite from the white woman vote? You don't want to do we not want to. Let's play the soundway from the white woman voter. I'm a follow it up with the white man voter. Let's let's play that producer, Nick, Please.
Speaker 12: I did vote for McCain, I did vote for Romney into twenty sixteen, I ended up voting for Trump. I voted for him because I really kind of felt were connected to the Republican principles. The behavior concerned me. But to be quite honest with you, like I was a big Apprentice fan.
Speaker 3: Let's celebrity go to you a little. It did get to me looking back, now, do you regret that vote? One percent?
Speaker 1: I want to like, this is my point, this is this is my point. Katie has the privilege to treat this ship like it's a game because as a white woman, you are never you are never as impacted. I will say with est with reproductive rights. There is an issue now, but it's like we never had that privilege.
Speaker 2: This is life or death for us. You were Apprentice fan and that's why you vote.
Speaker 8: Around Facebook and apologize to my friends and family.
Speaker 2: But this is who the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: Is going after to be like, Katie, we want to talk to you.
Speaker 1: You're looking at Katie, we have an appeal. Now, I want to play the white man. Let's play the white man. It matter listen to the white man, Let's play him.
Speaker 3: I quit today.
Speaker 5: I identify as independent voter because I don't fit neatly into a particular ideological box. I have different thoughts and opinions on different issues. Some of them would be right of center, someone would be left of center. For example, I believe in support, you know, the second Men of the United States, although I do believe that there are certain classifications of weapons that we should not be allowed to have. I believe in the right of people to love and marry whomever they choose to love that should. I believe in bodily autonomy for women. So there's just a number of things I think, you know, when I look at the issues and I consider one by one in my thoughts and my beliefs, I just don't fit with necessarily one.
Speaker 4: Side or the other.
Speaker 5: And I think there are a lot of Americans out there like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hate to break it to Texas Trade. You are a Democrat, my friend. Everything you just talked about those fall squarely. And so when I hear that, and I wonder, well, what was it that was so appealing about the Republican Party to you. And to quote the great American out of Florida who looks at the Republican Party and says, I'm not saying you were racist.
Speaker 2: But the races think you are racist.
Speaker 1: There is some reason then why this Republican Party they appeal to identity politics. That was something that was ascribed to us, but they appeal to these identity politics. I hear these two people and I'm like you, Angela, I'm frustrated. I'm angry because you are playing.
Speaker 8: I'm mad at Katie. I'm mad at Texas in Texas train. But it's like, get on the train because you're voter and you're not.
Speaker 4: If she comes along, I won't both of them, because I think we we talked about no, no, no. When she says she had to apologize to family and friends, I'm believing that she's got some family and friends who sit at the margin of impact negative impact that Trump caused right in that Republicans. We tried to tell you we did, but guess what, there's always room for redemption. We can't. We can't.
Speaker 3: She needed to talk to g We have.
Speaker 4: To wage it on the on today's war, and right now today we need as many people as we can bring.
Speaker 3: Under the table, and many people.
Speaker 4: We need to bring.
Speaker 3: This is Katie, this is the marble rolling around. That is good.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you, I don't want just the president. I don't want I don't I don't want just a Democrat holding down the White House. I want a democratic Congress. I want a democratic Senate. I want a president who will appoint justices who are in line with the mainstream of the American people. Of that. But all I'm saying is is that if we if this is only going to be about propping up Joe Biden, and much of these ads are going to be about that, right, most of that is going to be about it, then we are we are not putting out out on the ball of how do we get So this EBT program came out of COVID through democratically pushed legislation because they were trying to embody in the government it's ability to deal with the crisis that has been a crisis before COVID, and they used a good crisis. They used a crisis, as they say, don't let a good crisis go to waste to put in policies that they believe will advance the democratic agenda, but but mostly will help American people. Now it's no longer COVID in the way that it once was. They're trying to get this same policy EBT that one hundred and twenty as part of the fabric of what we provide to every American. Okay, but if you don't have a Congress that can move it and a president that can sign it, then what are we doing here? I agree with all of us at the long term war.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with all of us, all.
Speaker 4: Of us that because we all are in agreement on this, that the long term war has to be bringing more of our folks, paying and then and then delivering for them through the public.
Speaker 2: Is Katie get to you?
Speaker 3: K is not?
Speaker 1: I think Katie is not gettable? But do you think she's gettable?
Speaker 4: I think if she says she's gettable, she is not.
Speaker 2: Now why do you say she's not?
Speaker 3: I don't believe Katie?
Speaker 13: Ka?
Speaker 4: Guess what? We don't have to believe Kate.
Speaker 3: Yes we do.
Speaker 2: Are Katie and Karen gettable people?
Speaker 3: Not everybody else?
Speaker 4: Sorry? But if you had electricity and a hurricane was coming, and you have the opportunity to get a generator. Would you say, oh, but my lights have been on every other day, and so why would he go away? You don't make that decision. You say, I'm gonna get the generator for redundancy.
Speaker 3: Would if the generator is bro.
Speaker 4: Listen, We're all gonna go for redundancy. And all I'm saying is is we make a big mistake when we write off everybody because they made a for and we make an even worse choice when we decide that because a person hasn't shown the propensity to vote, not they haven't. You haven't delivered for them. They hang. Your agenda doesn't work for them. Not not that, but they haven't voted. I'm not going to invest any money in trying to turn them out.
Speaker 2: Both your hands and rains.
Speaker 8: Would you like to get the impression something I'm kicking you out.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 8: If I really was kicking you out, that is true. Here is my point, Andrew. Your compassion in this moment is your Achilles hill.
Speaker 4: It's not it is.
Speaker 2: It is because you believe.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna win with this.
Speaker 8: You're doing the same thing that there's white consultants ay say, yes you are, because you.
Speaker 3: Watched this clip of this white one, roll a clip again to.
Speaker 12: I did vote for McCain, I did vote for Romney into twenty sixteen, I ended up voting for Trump. I voted for him because I really kind of felt more connected to the Republican principles. The behavior concerned me. But to be quite honest with you, like I was a big Apprentice fan, let's celebrity go to you, A little bit did get to me.
Speaker 3: Looking back, now, do you regret that vote?
Speaker 12: One hundred percent?
Speaker 2: She's smiling and laughing the whole time.
Speaker 8: Right Now, here's my argument I'm putting on my counselor hat. This woman did not start voting for Trump with the celebrity. She did not start with him just because he was the Apprentice. Her Republican ways preceded Donald Trump. She voted for Romney, Binders full of women. She said that she apologized on Facebook. She didn't go to the altar. This is not forgiven. She could be redeemed by God, she will not be redeemed by this party. I'm not asking her to identify as a Democrat. I'm asking for her to identify with her morals, to stand.
Speaker 3: With her sisters, regardless of race.
Speaker 8: And she cannot do that. She does not have that ability. She does not care. She in fact, probably only did this interview because she thought that it would get her attention because she likes celebrities. That she tried out for the Apprentice and didn't get selected. She was the apprentice on this program. Now, some people are redeemable, maybe even some people who look just like Katie, maybe some people on Katie Street. It is not Katie. And all I am trying to say is the more time we spend time trying to get Katie instead of Knesha and Keisha and Crystal and Kevin and KeAndre, We're going it.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm telling you. And I'm not.
Speaker 8: Saying that they don't deserve a hello when you walk down the street, but they do not deserve a dollar spit on any targeted social media posts.
Speaker 3: The doors of the church and I have.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is I'm not a pastor or a priest, and I'm not trying to save her soul. Yeah, No I'm not. No, I'm not What I want is what I want is No, it ain't building, is not coming. It's winning an election. That's what this is about. No, I'm not saying by any means it is winnable. I'm not saying by any means, if what we are attempting to do is to convert souls when we ask people to vote, we will we will lose every election here to forth. People aren't going to to the polling place to be converted. That's not what they're there for. It's a transaction.
Speaker 3: She's not coming.
Speaker 4: I don't care about that woman. I don't If it's all about that one woman, then we are never going to win another election again. What we have to be about is how do we put the numbers together on the board that will get us a president, a House, and a Senate so that we can then move the policy that we got to move to make my family, your family, and the people who we care and love their lives better for the future. That that that that's all I'm oriented with. So whether or not I'm converting this woman, she wanted to be a celebrity and I high prentice and I don't care about that. That's not you don't have to care. I don't have to have agreement with you on every single issue for you to vote for me. I didn't go into rural areas of Florida asking for people to vote because I thought that they were going to agree with me on everything that I did. No, of course, I needed them to understand that by getting me, you're gonna get more of what works for you than under me than you will under the other guy.
Speaker 8: I guarantee you that's not where she was. Where she have to be because we have to be targeted. And that's the thing that.
Speaker 4: Strategy both and.
Speaker 8: Both and wasting money and then that money ends up being wasted on them and not targeting.
Speaker 4: And when you and when you have to make the choice, you put marbles on the table. As far as I'm concerned. And I'm not just saying that, it's because I've done it.
Speaker 3: You did. That's why I'm shocked by this.
Speaker 4: But I did them both. I went into I went into the most republican part of Florida. I went to the most republican precinct in the entire country twice three times on the campaign trail. Not because I thought I was going to convert the people living in that ultra right wing place. It's because all those places there are people who can still relate to our experience. What we're trying to do our story and even the third Ogree hook line single on every single major issue I want to move forward. They had enough to believe that I believed in it, and so they went and they casted a ballot for me.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Don't spend no ad money on it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make sense for me to walk right past them casting the expersion that everybody who lives in that area believes that way, and that's why I shouldn't. I know, that's not what you're saying about Katie who.
Speaker 2: Well, now we are.
Speaker 4: Now all.
Speaker 1: We've gotten on that note, yes, yes, on that note.
Speaker 2: That was a bar.
Speaker 1: And when we come back on the other side of this break, we're gonna talk about people who dry, but more bars.
Speaker 3: But I love that. We're gonna keep it.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you'll leave us. We're taking a quick break. We're gonna be right back. The breaking news is our very own Angela Rye is the executive producer of the Crossover. It's still available to see on the on the sp N so people can still watch it, and it was just nominated for not one, not two, but three Sports Emmys. Though analysis just came out this week.
Speaker 2: So can we raise the glass?
Speaker 3: Angela, congrats.
Speaker 8: I want to shout out Julian Gooden, who is an extraordinary director. If y'all don't know about Julian, you will very soon. This is not gonna be his first sports hope. I'm naming it and claiming nomination. So he is fantastic. Julian, thank you for letting me be involved. It was an amazing project celebrating the fifty anniversary hip hop and its intersection with sports.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious because I feel like I said, at the intersection of sports and hip hop, and you didn't ask.
Speaker 3: Me keys and participate. Why you didn't do that?
Speaker 2: I Part two, the sequel, Part two Anniversary, the prequel. I can participate there and.
Speaker 3: You're participating now now.
Speaker 1: Yes, people, Native Lampod talks about sports every week. Holler at us, we need to be a part of that. Nominated man, But honestly, seriously, Angela, congratulations. I think it's amazing that you were nominated for three Emmys, and I know that.
Speaker 3: You are all three of us.
Speaker 1: I think you're such hip hop heads, but you constantly when Angela host Native Lampid, y'all hear so many hip hop puns like that is your lane and I love to see it. So congrats, And you're one of the most supportive people, not just for our friendship group, for for every common threat of friendships that we have. So I'm delighted to see you. Can I go with you to the ceremony?
Speaker 3: Is that, yes, the like have a plus one. Yes, let's love to have.
Speaker 2: A whole entourage.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go in with a whole entourage. Yes, So anyway, you're gonna have fresh off the wires, folks, Antoni a three time Immy nominee. If you are an Emmy voter for sports documentaries, we expect Antel will be a three time winner the Crossover. It's available on ESPN now, So truly congratulations. But in all honesty, that is.
Speaker 2: Not the only reason exactly that we're talking about hip hop.
Speaker 1: The other news coming out of the hip hop community is this beef with Kendrick. I don't know if Kendrick's really in the beef, but J Cole okay, well he I haven't heard him respond to.
Speaker 4: J Coleyrick started it.
Speaker 1: But I mean the apology, respond to the apology. Let me not confuse people. Angela, can you break down and explain to the viewers, because you probably have a better understanding of all this I do.
Speaker 8: So what I think the data part is. Folks know that Kendrick was featured on a future metro Boomer record where he took a little jab at J Cole and Drake and he basically said it's not top three, it's not me and made it really really clear. J Cole responded in Seven Minute Drill, I actually have Kendrick and J Cole in my top five. And I was actually surprised by the quality of J Cole's verse. He started going in on Kendrick's albums, and I thought that he was not correct when he said that you're second. I quote for my church folks, your second ship put niggas to sleep, but they gassed it and that is to.
Speaker 3: Pimp a butterfly. And I'm sorry. You do know that? All right is our anthem for all things?
Speaker 8: Yeah, like, what are we talking about? So I think for me, I'm like, I don't know that that's accurate. So j oh my theory of the case is as dope as he is. He rushed to put out seven Minute Drill. The EP is dope. This is I think the worst track on seven Minute Drill, and I don't think it was that good. So I think that's why he apologized.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into it, I want to hear the apology because in the apology I thought there was a resonating message there that we should talk about.
Speaker 2: So let's hear the apology and we'll talk about it one.
Speaker 13: I know my heart, you know what I mean, and like, I know how I feel about my peers, these two niggas that I've just been blessed to even stand beside in this game, let alone chase chase their greatness, right, So I felt conflicted because I'm like, bro, I know I don't really feel no way, but the.
Speaker 4: World want to see blood.
Speaker 13: I don't know if y'all can feel that, but the world want.
Speaker 4: To see blood.
Speaker 13: So I say all of that to say, in my spirit of trying to like get this music out, I ain't gonna lie to y'all. I moved in a way that was that I feel spiritually feel bad on me, like like I try to like jab my kick back and try to keep it friendly. But at the end of the day, when I listen to it and when it comes out and I see the talk that don't sit right with my spirit, that makes me feel that shit disrupts my piece. So what I want to say right here tonight is in the midst of me doing that and and that shit trying to find a little angle and downplay this, this catalog in his greatness, I want to say, right now tonight, how many people think Kendrick Lamar is one of the greatest mother of auch of trust, a microphone.
Speaker 1: Best coach, best I really I so to me, the thing that stood out to me was he said the world wants blood, and I think that is so true. I think that we there is a coalition of folks who benefit when we wore with each other. I think hip hop has always been about social justice and about what's reflecting what's going on, and then somewhere in the commercialization of it, it does seem like it's about you know, how much money I got, what kind of car I'm driving? And I think I look at what's going on with book bands and everything happening in the country, and I considered J Cole more of a conscious rapper. Yeah, and it was Kendrick and Kendrick. Look, we could do our top five. I mean I think Kendrick is definitely up there, and so I hate to see people like this benefit the spefing right.
Speaker 3: Like as much.
Speaker 8: As you say rap is about social justice and all of it also is about flossing, and it.
Speaker 2: Is ast about beef, and it's always been.
Speaker 3: It has always been.
Speaker 8: The first time it was ever taken that I know of where it has ever been taken seriously to the point of death is with Biggie and Pop.
Speaker 3: And I think it.
Speaker 8: Was interesting to me as conscious as he is, even if it was figuratively speaking j Cole referencing heat under the seat and.
Speaker 3: Body bag body bag like, that's to me taking it too far.
Speaker 1: So I do because I think they are unspoken rules about what's too far in a rap.
Speaker 4: I mean he got up there and basically said he loves it. Maybe maybe that he said all reflect as I to get this out, I took on two dudes who you know, I'm blessed to stand next. Well, maybe not.
Speaker 2: He offered contrition.
Speaker 4: It wasn't just condition, rather set an example for how you walk back from a public beef, whether you win, lose, or draw. He was in the he was in it. They were in the mix against you know, each other and Drake and an't said anything.
Speaker 8: But that's if Drake don't say anything.
Speaker 4: He said something. I hope he doubles down on what we just saw.
Speaker 8: Well, good luck with that, Bishop of the Redemptive Sheep Missionary Church.
Speaker 4: It's easy to be a big person when you're big, but I.
Speaker 3: Think a big guy is big. But also, Drake to me is pop wrap.
Speaker 8: Drake to me is not hip hop, like Drake is the dude you know, is the light skinned dude that collected all the bras thrown at him at his concerts.
Speaker 4: Look, it's a place.
Speaker 3: Or place for Drake hip hop.
Speaker 1: There is a place for Drake. I agree with that he spoke to it. We are I think we're respectfully a little older, and I think there was some Drake songs me too. But I think I think Drake spoke that like Insecure Each Crowd, the HBO series Insecurance.
Speaker 8: I think that you could be burn a boy from the continent and still be more happish.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think if we're talking about like unspoken rules about what goes too far, the hardest that came out with the very first stance, that was that's why fo by.
Speaker 8: That was was Beggie.
Speaker 2: I mean when you heard that so oft and then cool, mold and l O.
Speaker 1: Like since hip hop's inception, there's always been rap beef rap battles, but it was really about Even entertainer does a great what on that on Kings of Comedy where he talks about the battles were different, and I just think, now it's it's gotten.
Speaker 2: I don't hae.
Speaker 1: This sound like one of those people get off my lunch, But it's getting away from different.
Speaker 4: Is that you had this guy come out j Cole and do a public meakopa in that way, right, I.
Speaker 2: Love that I was innovative.
Speaker 4: Actually we hadn't seen it can delve even deeper, right, I mean, are these beas go on? That's when there's a heat, That's when it gets heat under it. Folks from this crewe because it's not the it's never the artist that I'm worried about. I mean Biggie and Tupac. That happened at the extreme, but there were I would count them hundreds of bodies between East and West Coast that probably fell before those two guys fell, motivated and hyped up by that by the same music, right, and so all I'm saying is is we got to get a brother, salute wind, lose a drawer. That's that's the example that we ought to be seeing set.
Speaker 3: You, but you really lost one. But the EP is good. Shout out to the EP.
Speaker 1: And for those of you who are listening not watching, Angela is making all the faces.
Speaker 3: So if I love Jacob, I love that he did it at Dreamville.
Speaker 8: I believe that he did this apology because he lost well.
Speaker 1: I believe hip hop always highlighted social justice issues from n w A, fuck the.
Speaker 3: Police to self destruction.
Speaker 1: Remember that, Yeah, And so I would love to see more songs come out to highlight that. And I know we talk about a lot on this show. We can talk about very high level intellectual discourse about what's happening on Capitol Hill and foreign policy, and we can also discourse about you know, who's our top five and brat beef. So I would say to the folks, find you a crew who can do both.
Speaker 2: And that's what you got a Native.
Speaker 3: The next time he go out and apologize, he say, and please remember the vote.
Speaker 8: That's what I would like that very true, These platforms for social justice and our collective advancement.
Speaker 3: At some point.
Speaker 1: We don't have time now, but at some point I think there is a discussion about some of these like fifty plus year old hip hop stars who are like pioneers who have shifted to a different political ideology, Like I want nineteen ninety one ice Cube to meet twenty twenty four ice Cube.
Speaker 2: How that's changed. There's something to that. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Love to visit our conversation on power.
Speaker 8: The show or power power, dynastic power, the ability to achieve purpose or yeah use thereof man yeah power.
Speaker 1: Well, if you guys want a ten hour Native Land pod, we are always up for that.
Speaker 2: We because the conversation continues even after we're off there evidence.
Speaker 1: Now that we have gone through the rap beefs a rat bars, it is now time for calls to action. I y'all always try to make me go first, So now I'm not going first.
Speaker 2: He wants to go first.
Speaker 3: I can't go first. Poppy Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Were just talking about can you now pocket?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 8: No, I can't pop it or no it was his stay on earlier appear here's oh yeah.
Speaker 3: My call to action is for you all.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 3: I think this is my camera for you all.
Speaker 8: To please send in your questions, to please send in your comments.
Speaker 3: We like to stay engaged with you all. If you all disagree.
Speaker 8: With us today on who won the Kendrick versus j Paul so what, you can still share it.
Speaker 3: But so what, go vote, Go.
Speaker 1: Vote on who is the best lyricist, or vote in general on all the things votes.
Speaker 14: Game citizens like yuh big shout out to Jasmine Bernie Clark, who is the new name director State director for Biden in the state of Florida.
Speaker 4: And I call her out particularly because one she loves all the listeners to the show, but comes out of the tradition of community organizing and led one of the most successful community organ and groups in the state of Florida and got lifted into the political side. And the reason why I want to note this is a lot of times we look over the folks who are doing the laborious work of every day organizing inside and outside of elections campaigns could do a hell of a lot better for themselves if they actually stopped engaging these quote you know, strategists from season to season and get in, you know with folks who are really on the ground, know what they're doing, have relationship with community and can influence the culture of the campaign, so that the debate we had earlier about whether you pick marbles up or deal with the ones on the table, it's not a debate anymore. It's all of the above. And I think that that's what she's going to advance. So if you're in the state of Florida and you want to get involved in the campaign, reach out to them. We got a good leader there, somebody we can all stand behind.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I think that's so true about not you know, people who want to work in policies, not through the principle. There are so many and no matter I say, no matter what career you want to pursue, work on a campaign, there's always too much work, not enough.
Speaker 4: People work in the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yeah, that's true. And work in the community. Angela, you do a really good job with like teaching young women with your professional development program.
Speaker 3: Young women and young men.
Speaker 2: I didn't know young.
Speaker 3: Men are in it.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Angela every year has a cohort of folks every semester. Semester, that's our call to action.
Speaker 8: You know who hasn't given theirs yet? It's Tiffany, Yes, me, my actions, my call to action.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be a damper, but my call to action is I feel really down sometimes, you know, like I don't know just everything happening in the world, and.
Speaker 2: I just get heavy.
Speaker 1: Uh, And I can feel really sad, and I imagine maybe a lot of our listeners do too, just feelings of isolation or helplessness, you know, and you look at what's happening in Gaza and on social media, it's all this bad news. And since being with you guys today, but also last night Andrew and I went to dinner, Angela rolled up on us. She'll drop that footago some but I just my spirits have been lifted. It's so fun. And this recording today, you guys were informing me. I'm like, oh, these are things that I didn't know, and it lifted my spirit. So my call to action is when you feel down, do not isolate. Go be around people, because we are not created to be islands. It really does lift our spirits and you are not alone and feeling down. I completely understand it, and that's why I want to be transparent in the times that I feel heavy, heavy hearted, and so for anybody who feels that way, go be in community, you know, go see people. And if you don't have good close personal friends, go create that and volunteer work. And you know, if you do things out of love and not to receive love, love finds you. So I want to encourage people to get out there and do that and be in community as best you can. And if you ever feel truly lonely, welcome home, y'all, because you're never.
Speaker 8: A welcome home Toatie from Andrew well, I think welcome a proper note. She has to go back and get that vote he throughout what that F bomb is going to be bleeped out.
Speaker 1: Well beyond Katie. If you are if you are down, you are always welcome here. So and if you want to get on camera and be seen, then, like Angela said, hop on camera. Send us your question or your comments, if you want to weigh in. Welcome Thank you, everybody, Welcome home, everybody.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed the show, yes, walk.
Speaker 3: Home, Drake, I guess can you please get rid of the room of all.
Speaker 2: Of our listeners.
Speaker 1: Please be sure to review a subscribe to Native Land Pod honestly when you rate and review the show it helps growl this platform, so we implore you to do that. We are available on Yes, implore we need you to like, rate, and review the show, and rock with us and share the content. Some of these algorithms are trashed, so please drop it in your group.
Speaker 3: Chat, share it roll at the bottom of the thing.
Speaker 1: Now it's not it's not helping. But we're also available on all platforms and YouTube. The new episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Tiffany Cross, angela Ryan Andrew Gillum. There are two hundred and seven days until election Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.