Speaker 1: I'm sorry's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 2: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Park's Casino fac.
Speaker 1: TOI double O Baby Love Pa chab to beat on the Back Done, I guess weaponyon Empowers by Slabs of.
Speaker 3: The seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven to five the fanatic.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Center. A home loss for the Sixers tonight to the Detroit Pistons one to oh five ninety five. And this is our Parks Casino postgame show. Matt Murphy. I'll cross back over here in a minute or two with Tom McGuinness, who just called all the action. Will effort the postgame press conference from Sixers head coach Nick Nurse, as we always do. But a ten point win for the visiting Detroit Pistons their first win of the new season. They came in zero to four, albeit against four of the other top teams in the Eastern Conference. But the Sixers, still without Joel Embiid, still without Paul George, fall to one and three on the season. Their largest lead in the game was nine, but the Pistons built up a ten point lead at one point late in the quarter. They led at halftime as well, led by as many as twenty one in the third, and win it by ten one oh five ninety five, despite a game high thirty two points from Tyrese Maxey. On the other side, Jaden Ivy went for twenty three and Cad Cunningham went for twenty two chat now with Tom McGinnis, and this was one of those things that I mentioned pregame. There is a lot of parody in the NBA this year. You kind of felt like maybe the Pistons were due for a game like this. It was the return of Tobias Harris and just have to say they did kind of rally around him in the second half. What were some of your takeaways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had two big baskets, and you know, his teammates because he was getting jeered and let's be honest, booed by the fans, and you know, they rally around that a little bit. And I think what you saw mostly was that. But like the play of Ivy and cunning and they were aggressive, been assertive. And the Sixers are a little max E centric right now, and understandably Soe. He had thirty two points and this is right in line. Remember I was passing along that he's on average playing forty minutes. He played forty minutes and taking around twenty eight shots. He took twenty five shots and he made twelve of twenty five, which is you know, right in that's nearly fifty percent. You take that two of ten though from three and I think you know all told now eleven of forty eight from beyond the Arc, which I think eventually he'll shoot. You know, he's traditionally been higher than.
Speaker 2: That, especially when his looks improved just by the mere presence of MBID and Paul George.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. And then you know on a night, you know, Caleb Martin was two for ten, cally youu bray five of fourteen. I thought Jared McCain was one of the bright spots in the game. So, like I said, if he can begin to earn the trust and to me, like you know, he's gonna make threes eventually, that's the strength of his game.
Speaker 2: But he's doing it other ways now.
Speaker 1: That's right. So like your notice seem a driple penetration. He was entrusted to guard Kate Cunningham. I mean one of them, I think Cunningham just sort of missed. But other times I thought he did really well. So those are that's an encouraging sign. Like if he could be a rotational player, I think he'd probably be a little bit ahead of the cribbon. Maybe it's because that there's no Paul George, but certainly in a game like this where you were trailing and there was no reason to not leave him out there, and like I said, he made a little bit of an impact. It was it was a positive sign.
Speaker 2: Matt Murphy and Tom McGinnis on the Parks Casino postgame show. Seventy six Ers fall to the Detroit Pistons at home one oh five ninety five. McCain had twelve points without hitting a three. He was zero for one from beyond the arc. He was three for nine overall. Ricky Counsel, the fourth actually got in to the game in the first half, and then it was McCain soon after in the rotation, and McCain ends up playing a lot more than Counsel. McCain played almost twenty two minutes in the t ten point loss to the Detroit Pistons, who last year had the worst record in the NBA. They retooled. They have a new coach in JB. Bickerstaff and Jade and Ivy was coming off the bench, but in the starting lineup this year with Cad Cunningham. They combined for forty five points to defeat the Sixers, and they were out rebounded.
Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 2: The Sixers were forty nine to thirty seven. But they won the turnover battle, right They four seventeen and only turn the ball over nine, So how do you weigh those two stats?
Speaker 1: The Sixers are creating turnovers and talking to coach over the weekend, you know, he wanted to see the Sixers capitalize a little bit more like, you know, finish off those turnovers and take that to advantage. And then again, you know, one of the big emphasises in camp was to create extra opportunities and they've done that as well. But overall they were beaten on the glass after a pretty solid showing against the Pacers with fifty four rebounds. So again, it's like the identity of the Sixers is still up in the air. But it's almost it's like without George and Embid even this group, like what, you know, what is that going to be? It's a wholly different. Uh. I think you're going to define the team completely different. And yet if those you know, if Joel doesn't play as many games as you might might have thought coming in, this is you know, this is going to be part of the identity this group.
Speaker 2: Saturday Night home again. John Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies. He's one of those guys that's kind of must watch in the NBA, yep.
Speaker 1: And I would think for him a little bit of a redemption tour, just based on the injury last year and kind of in and out of the lineup with different causes. And obviously a very electric player. And Zach Edy comes to town. Jaron Jackson's one of the best defenders, one of the best outside talents. So that's another difficult game. And again a time in which the Sixers, particularly with the ability of Joel and George, you know, to get out there with two days off before a game that this breathing room in this you know, this week of the schedule is a little unusual and hopefully beneficial.
Speaker 2: That'll be seven thirty on Saturday night. Morant and the Grizzlies are actually down thirteen to the Brooklyn Nets, who are playing hard to start the new season. But that's early in the second half. Tom acguinnis thanks as always, will do it again on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Good night, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Sixers fall to the Pistons by ten one oh five ninety five. We hope to hear from head coach Nick Nurse, but will hit a quick break one oh five ninety five Detroit over the Sixers here in Philadelphia, and we'll continue on next with our Parks Casino post game show.
Speaker 3: You were listening to the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino.
Speaker 2: Regular season Game four in the books for the twenty twenty four to twenty five Philadelphia seventy six Ers, and here in Philadelphia, it was kind of a tale of those middle quarters again outscored by the Pistons tonight thirty two nineteen and the second thirty one twenty two in the third, and the Sixers drop this one to the Pistons one oh five ninety five. They are one in three on the season, all without Embiid and George. Pistons get their first win in five games. They were led by Ivan Cunningham twenty three and twenty two points, Tyrese Maxi thirty two for the seventy six Ers with a game high tying seven assists. Next leading scorers were Ubre with thirteen and Jared McCain with twelve off the bench. Matt Murphy back with the Parks Casino postgame show. So the Sixers will have to wait and try again on Saturday for their first home win of the new campaign. Their first win was this past Sunday in thrilling overtime fashion against one of last year's Eastern Conference finalists in the Indiana Pacers. But the Pistons come with this one. They let it by as many as twenty one in the third quarter. Sixers did outscore them in the fourth by eight. We'll hear the highlights in just a moment, team stats wise forty six percent. We'll also hear from coach Nurse coming up in just a second, but forty six percent shooting for Detroit to forty just under forty two for the Sixers, and they shot it eight of twenty eight from three compared to the Pistons, who shot fifteen for thirty six from beyond the arc. So that's our stat of the game. Fifteen made threes for the Pistons and just eight on twenty eight attempts for the Sixers. Max He was two for ten from three, but twelve of twenty five overall in forty minutes of action. Before we get to the audio highlights, the key plays from this game that did feature Tobias Harris coming back to Philadelphia and getting an eighteen point fourteen rebound double double, the most rebounds in the game. Let's hear some of coach Nick Nurse's postgame press conference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought, I mean, there's there's a number of things, but I thought one of the two of the key things was was just kind of rebounding at both ends. I thought that our offensive guys that were crashing were over extending themselves when it wasn't necessary. Like you could kind of see it was like a ninety ten ball maybe and they'd already have it and we'd kind of still making a play on it, and then they were out the other way. At the transition like turned that game around, like they got to buy I think at least four, if not four transition threes in the first half, and that's what kind of changed. It was a transition and then obviously there was some defensive rebounding issues as well that got them some got them some kickout threes, and that continued. I think we did a little bit better in transition because I thought we did a decent job of gardener in the half court, but the transition and the offensive rebounding by them were a problem. I guess evaluate just your total offense tonight not very good. Yeah, not very good. I thought we were sped up. I thought they physicality got us. We didn't get a lot of a lot of screens set they were breaking through, a busting through a lot of them. We didn't put much pressure on the rim with our role threat, and I thought we did turn the corner and had some decent shots at the rim, but again didn't didn't finish a high enough rate of those with you know, with some physicality. There was some pushing in the back and hitting them the thing, but that not you know, you still got to find a way to steer those in. So I think we did miss a bunch of those opportunities. Probably most disappointed. And I thought we had great generated some great looks from three early in the game, and for whatever reason, we kept kind of up over, up over, you know, like a couple of possessions where I thought that one should have been shot, that one should have been shot, and that one should have been shot, and all of a sudden none of them were shot, and then we're jammed at the end of a shot clock with not very good. So I mean, when we generate those catch and shoots, we gotta we got to pull the trigger. So I think we we were hesitant on a lot of stuff that question.
Speaker 2: I guess it seems like last game Tree's being so hot and tonight there's a lot of trying to switch hunt and.
Speaker 3: Be kind of like Theander in that regard.
Speaker 4: How do you balance or switch hunting versus being more intentional running sets. Yeah, I mean, we're we're we're trying to like mix things up. I didn't think that either of our other kind of handlers Caleb and Kelly, had much force or any much going either. Like like the last game, we could see we had we had a lot of guys starting a lot of stuff, and we were running similar things, but just kept moving the pieces around. Tried a little bit of that early, but weren't having much success with with with making I mean, first play the game, Caleb turns the corner and and we get a charge. You know, we did, we did. We executed that one really good, but we didn't quite make the right play at the end of it. But but those guys turning the corner tonight wasn't nearly as effective for paint touches and kickouts and and you're right again, we didn't we didn't do a good enough job of waiting setting separating on Tyreesa's screen roles. He just wasn't getting enough enough separation on those things to create some type of advantage. I mean, he he did get a good number of shots downhill, right, and he didn't, you know, hit some. But you have ten ten cracks at the three. A couple of those were pretty tough. But I think there's most of the other ones we want him to take, but we can't. We can't like I mean, he he scored enough tonight right one.
Speaker 2: In three record for the Nick Nurse in the Philadelphia seventy six ers on the young season, after a one oh five ninety five defeat at home to or Buy the the Detroit Pistons, who are in the wind column now, Nick Nurse joining the Parks Casino post game show Matt Murphy back with You. A home game coming up on Saturday night against John Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies, who many expect to have a big time bounce back year as they were just demolished in the health department a season ago, and then an early season West Coast swing will take the Sixers to Phoenix and then they'll play at the into It Dome next Wednesday against the Clippers and the Lakers after that, who were down big earlier tonight I saw to the Cleveland Cavaliers, but that the upcoming schedule for the Sixers Lakers game will be It'll be Monday, Wednesday, Friday Suns Clippers Lakers. But they've dropped this one tonight. Let's here's some of the key plays in this game. Sixers and Pistons in Philadelphia, as called by Tom McGuinness and Kelly Ubray. Junior was the second leading scorer to Tyrese Maxie for the Sixers tonight, which rolled out a starting lineup the same one of Maxi, Lowrybra, Caleb Martin, and Andre Drummond in the absence of Joel Embiid and Paul George, who Nick Nurse said before the game that they hope to have a really good read on those guys by Friday of this week. But Ubra had it going early on. And here's a runner in the link, drumming, chopping at it, knocket it away. Kelly Ubra has the ball Sixers going right to left. Ubray behind the back in traffic, meet Tobias Harris and he banked it in an aggressive play, hard bang shot off the white painted square right in the middle over Harris and with that five straight by the Sixers ubray coach Nurse. Everyone knew this was going to be a physical game tonight against the Pistons, who were hungry for a victory. That put the Sixers up five to four early in the first quarter before it was a Maxi takeover. It was too easy, as the song that plays after he scores says in the lyrics, it was too easy for him, particularly a stretch where he was providing literally all of the seventy six ers offense. He had points ten through twenty. Here putting them up twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Maxi with a dribble right hand at an angle out top guarded by Cunningham. They're playing a zone. Here's another runner off the window up and goods what Cunningham's watching that? And Maxi scored the exact same way a moment earlier.
Speaker 2: Maxi had ten points in the first quarter, the Sixers led twenty six twenty two after one. He finished with thirty two points, three rebounds, a game high tying seven assists, and he also had two steals in forty minutes on twelve of twenty five, shooting two for ten from deep and six for seven at the free throw line. Sixers up four going to the second quarter, but the Pistons would answer back and actually take the lead before continuing on a very high scoring run. Malik Beasley, most recently with the Milwaukee Bucks, now with the Detroit Pistons, lines up his second three for the lead early in Q two.
Speaker 1: Ricky Council from deep that won't go. Boubreak keeps him alive, but Beasley comes up with the ball Detroit going left the right. They can take the lead with a trail three by Beasley, and the former seminole nails it timeout Sixers Detroit scoring eight of the first ten points in the second.
Speaker 2: One of their five double figure scores on the night. He did it off the bench. Eleven points for Malik Beasley eight oh. Detroit run turned into fifteen to OHO turned into seventeen to two in the second quarter, and Cad Cunningham was obviously a big part. He's typically a big part of what they do, and he was again tonight. In the midst of that run, he hit his second three. He would go on to finish the game four for eight. From beyond the arc on a twenty plus point night. And here's one of those four triples in step back fashion.
Speaker 1: Cunningham around the Stewart screen. Six on the clock, Cunningham over drumming for three and it's good Kate Cunningham much more consistent from beyond his third tray.
Speaker 2: Soon after that, Cunningham twenty two points on six of fifteen shooting. Overall, he had the seven assists to tie Maxi tonight. There was a whole lot more of Maxy in that second quarter. In fact, he finished the first half with nineteen points. But not long after Cunningham's three, there was a lob to Tobias Harris, now with the Pistons on a two year, fifty plus million dollar contract, and the crowd was, as we said, letting him hear it. Tonight he would put the Pistons up ten before halftime. He was actually at one point pumping up the crowd. He even cupped his ear after the basket to go up fifty two forty two, and their halftime lead was fifty four forty five. To the second half we go and more Tobias Harris, who ended the night with a double double. The Sixers were down twelve early in the third, they took a time out. Tim Hardaway Junior, also new to them after a trade from Dallas, extended it to fifteen with a three and then a few possessions later. It's Tobias Harris catching dunking and drawing the foul on Caleb Martin.
Speaker 1: Max He keeps it alive, but Ivy comes up with it for Detroit acrossmincourt down the court de Harris who leaked out he dunked it and Martin will they file his.
Speaker 2: Fourth eighteen points, fourteen rebounds on eight of eighteen shooting for Tobias Harris zero for three from three in thirty five minutes for the Pistons, who in the second quarter had outscored the Sixers thirty two to nineteen, and they would despite this massive highlight play from the Sixers, they would outscore them by almost double digits in the third quarter. And you thought at times in the second half that the Sixers could flip the momentum. This was one of them. It's two guys who were in their fifth year in the NBA. Really good chemistry on display early in this season. Tyrese Maxi to kJ Martin.
Speaker 1: Here's maaxy with kJ Martin. Oh man, he throws it in with a left hand. Jamps. How about that? Maxied almost for a split second, looked as if he lost him, but no, he sees kJ Martin crashing in. It looks too high and too wide, but Martin goes airborne and crashes in with the alley.
Speaker 2: Oop really like, reached back with his strong left hand and threw it down. It was jaw dropping. But the Pistons were up fifteen at the time after that, and they took an eighteen point lead into the fourth quarter eighty five sixty seven. Martin. kJ Martin had six points off the bench in twenty two minutes and thirty seconds. Kayleb Martin as a starter, shot just two of ten and had seven points and five rebounds for the Sixers who trailed eighty five sixty seven after the third and Jared McCain was in double figures off the bench. A really nice night for the rookie. Didn't even have to do it from beyond the arc, only took one, but he got nine shots up. He got to the line six times, made all six And this is what we were talking about earlier on in the Parks Casino postgame show a drive in the lane, he switched his hands Jared McCain with a nifty finish.
Speaker 1: Here's Jared on a left hand drive up and good played through the contact got Don Linge, shifted to the left hand and banked it in off the glass. Jared McCain solid.
Speaker 2: Eighty seven to seventy three Detroit at the time. McCain had twelve in almost twenty two minutes as a reserve, and the Pistons would go on to win one oh five ninety five in Philadelphia,