Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: That's you. I Am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions, iHeart Radio, iHeartMedia, iHeart Podcast. One on one interview with none other than Jonathan Spencer. He's been in five Gilmour episodes, playing various roles. He played a customer, hot dog vendor, and then in season seven he got credit as Bill. Jonathan is also a musician and before he started acting, he was a casting director.
Speaker 3: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Jonathan Spencer. Welcome to the show. How are you, Jonathan, I'm great, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Great to see Scott.
Speaker 1: Good to see you. A casting director.
Speaker 2: I know it in the Southeast. I did like the backwards thing, so I went behind the wizard first, behind the curtain to see how it all worked. And I was less intimidated when I stepped out on the other side.
Speaker 1: Isn't that amazing how that works? Yeah, so let's get into this a little bit. So you said you had a good story on how you ended up on Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I moved I moved out to LA from Atlanta with all the hopes and dreams in two thousand and three that everyone moves out to LA with. And I slowly worked my way in and got some commercial work pretty quickly. I had been working as a free assistant and a talent agency, just answering phones and learning how it all went. And they sent me out on a local Yokol Rene car brand X commercials do this rent a car guy who's going to compete with Hurts and script and save rent a car? And I booked it. So that ended up being a number of spots and I got some heat with that, but I just couldn't get on episodic TV to save my life. I've been workshopping and trying to meet people and trying to get there, and eventually I got the call from Gilmore Girls to go in for none other than customer number four. And I couldn't have been more excited, to tell you the truth. It was like the best day of my life. And so all nerves and walking in onto the WB backlot there in the Midwest lot, and I go into the little house that's casting, and I go into the sign in sheet and I've got my line memorized, I've been practicing for three days. Cobbs sallad new avocado, no bacon, Italian dressing on the side, don't get those words wrong, right, And sure enough at the sign in sheet, there's a placard right over the sign in that shit that says, we hear at Gilmore girls are word for word, Please do not improv, ad lib nor button the scene, thank you, and then we love you actors. And I was like, oh, okay, well that just answers all my anxieties and now I know what to do. So I was like, that really made me comfortable to know that, like that was going to be the way things went, and from my mind, that was how it was going to be on network, TV everywhere. So I walk into the callback and of course Amy schrim Palladino I lucked out. She happen to be directing that first episode that I was in and was at the callback, so it was like that that was good karma there.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: All that went well. I got cast. I show up on set for Customer number four. We're in your diner at five point thirty in the morning and we do the circle up little circle where she stood in the middle and just pointed at everybody and had everybody run their line kind of in a circle while while everybody's wild, camera's still setting up and all that jazz. We hadn't even been to hair and makeup yet. And she points to everybody in the line and I can count how many people before they get to customer number in his line, and I'm all nervous, I better save this live. So I'm just trying to repeat my line correctly, and she eventually gets to rounds, gets around to me and says, Okay, what's your name? And I go customer number four? Because no, what's your name? I'm sorry, Jonathan Jonathan and Jonathan Spencer, Okay, what's your line? Just calmed down, it's gonna be great. And I think that kind of little green defacy error of my name is customer number four kind of endeared me to her a little bit, and that's what made me come back as the next time I was costumer number one because it was misspelled in the credits, especially be customer number one and upgrade from number four, and then hot Dog Bender and then eventually the last time we had rehearsal in season six, I think before season seven, we had that same circle lot and Amy did a little number and I think she remembered from the year before. She goes, Okay, what's your name to me with kind of the eyes, and I go, now, I'm confused, because am my hot dog vendor, my costumer and my customer. I just so, I just said Jonathan, the customer number four from from the blah blah blah. She goes, no, your bill, what, No, you're now Bill, and then she moved on and in a second, sure enough, go back to my We hadn't even checked into wardrobe. I go back to my little little narrow sideways honeywagon and there it is Gilmore Girls. Bill.
Speaker 1: It's a nice feeling. Huh yeah, it's just a thrill.
Speaker 2: I mean that was so exciting because I felt like the upgrade, but just the discipline on the set of Gilmore Girls. Of of course, not just the words per minute, but just getting it right and the blocking and the rhythm and the timing and the pacing and nailing it quickly, you know, and and having a four minute steady cam shot that doesn't break and designer. All these things were to me brand new. But I thought TV was always going to be like that. So when so when director Ken Whitingham, who directed a number of Gilmore Girls episodes, he happened to direct one of my second or third ones, and just coincidentally, the next week, I'm at a callback from My Name is Earl and there's Ken Whitingham directing an episode of that. But that show, the show runner wanted improv and wanted buttons and wanted tags. So it was kind of for me a quick study. But I'm so glad I came from the Amy Sherman Palladino, Aaron Storkin, Mike O'Malley, Cheryl Anderson world of Word for Word first, so I have the discipline to be able to not be a lazy actor who just improvs because they think they're better, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or they think they're improving the scene or improving Yeah, uh okay, great story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was just really it was always sort of like going to you know, going to cub Scout camp with all the boy scout rules, Like I already had all the like the I had the hard stuff, and I could do it fast by the time I got to you know, always Sonia in Philly and Pineapple Express a few years later, and like a Judd Apatouse set where it's loose and you're you're cutting in riffing.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was so glad that I had the set discipline of the script first for sure.
Speaker 1: So your first line on TV turns out to be your meal order while Luke was hurrying around the diner, Cob cell, don't have a cut and O bacon lue cheese, Talian dressing. I mean, you do it better than I because you know it.
Speaker 2: You rememberized eighteen years later, I still have the memorize, So.
Speaker 1: You really nailed it, and you just nailed it again here do you? What was that first day on set? Like, were you nervous? I was?
Speaker 2: I was, And it was such a you know, an influx of input and knowledge and just kind of wonder because I of course had watched the show and I knew the show, but I had not been to you know, the Midwest set or anything on the Warner Brothers lot to kind of know how the machine was gonna work. So I was really in awe just kind of sitting back and watching and I think if I had this correctly, I think we were shooting a winter scene in the summer or at least it was traditional warm California, and so I had my own like barber hunting and Parker jacket on, and I was it was like ninety degrees and so just the whole thing was surreal. You know, I didn't know the snow was going to be fake. I just didn't know anything. I mean, I just didn't know how the machine worked. So I really I can't remember his name, but the guy who the guy who worked in the diner with you, who's just like a really friendly, nice Hispanic guy. He played kind of your diner cook.
Speaker 1: Oh Caesar, Yeah, Caesar.
Speaker 2: He that actor. I forgot his name, and I wish I coul remember offs Alvarado artist Alvarado. He was really kind to me and picked up on my green newbie energy and just gave me kind of like the hey man, you got this, It's gonna be cool. Just he just kind of gave me the little like I don't know, we had like ChB guy bonding, and I felt like everything was going to be okay after that. But there's currently in twenty twenty four, we actually have a new real problem that I've noticed in both casting and the acting side right now, which is that because of self taping. The new SAG rules have made it such that they can't ask actors to memorize the sides right for their audition. But the intention of that is not to say improv or go off book. The intention is that they'll have enough time to turn around a self tape right. So what's been happening is casting. When you have a showrunner like Amy or Aaron Sorkin or Mike O'Malley who wants and should deserve to have their artistic vision honored of word to word, word for word, casting can't ask the actors to do that. And they're all scared that legal will get in if they say, you know, use a teleprompter, use your iPad, you hold your sides out of frame, but to please honor the script. They're afraid that legal will get in and say, oh no, no, no, you're telling them to memorize, which is really kind of silly, Like we all would all of us would benefit, and every show runner has a right to run it however they want, you know, but we need to know. If you're going on righteous Gemstones, you better do three buttons and three tags. If you're going on a Michaelmalley or an Aaron Sorkin or an Amy Shore and Palladino show. You better nail A and not the It says, hey, not the you know they, but casting is not allowed to communicate that to us, So I don't know. I'm going to reach out to SAG at some point, because surely we can all come together and collaborate on some wording that would it would only help everyone, right, the actors and casting and the showrunner.
Speaker 1: I really miss, you know, meeting producers and meeting the star or or if I'm the star, meeting the people that are coming into audition. I think that's really important. You know, you get the vibe and you know, you can almost instantly tell if somebody's right for something as soon as they walk through the door. You can kind of feel their energy and you kind of see them and how they come in and it's like, oh yeah that you know. It all sort of starts to happen. When it happens, you know, and when it doesn't, it really doesn't. And it's very quick and a.
Speaker 2: Taped performance doesn't honor the essence of the person and you need all you need that physical being to really say, Okay, this person's essence fits our world, regardless of their performance.
Speaker 1: Especially a director. I would think a director would want to meet the people that they're going to work with and watch a performance live or watch an audition live right there in the room. Mm hmm. I mean I remember I auditioned for Tarantino's first film four Times Wow, and he was there every single time. And these were really grueling, arduous scenes and there were three or four of them at a time.
Speaker 2: And he got in He got in there and worked in with you, right, yes, I got right in there with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean David Mentor does yes, I mean he in the very final audition, he actually jumped into the audition and started improving with me. Oh wow, yes, yes, oh cool. Yeah. So I mean he you can't do that if you're self taping. I mean, there's just no there's just no way. So I think I don't know. I just think everything was better back in the day before.
Speaker 2: It's here to stay, So I don't I don't know how to make it.
Speaker 1: It is, truly. They're not ever going to go back to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's turned into kind of a grocery shopping trip for casting, you know, and they like go down Aisle three, and oh, well, that peanut butter's out of stock, will go get a different one. They don't. There's the collaborative nature of the of the actor, the casting director, and then the showrunner or director, the collaborative in the room in there anymore, it's just yes, no peanut butter, nutella.
Speaker 1: You know, I haven't done a lot of self tape auditions. I've done a few, and you know, a couple of them, I thought I really nailed. There was one for a Natalie Portman to start up? Is it Natalie Portman? And I thought I really nailed, and I thought I was going to get it. I didn't get it, but I just you know, you missed that opportunity to meet with the people that are involved. And it's just like that's just everything. You know. They it's a chemistry check. It is absolutely just is if you if you sort of vibe with a person and that that translates on screen. So that's that's an element that is completely missing.
Speaker 2: Chemistry and environment are denied by a self tape because you can't know how they fit in the environment if they haven't been in the room. And like and like you said, chemistry, like you have. It might work with the other actors, it might not. We'll find out work, We'll find out the makeup trailer exam.
Speaker 1: Right, it's wow, that's frustrating.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to do it a different way. But I'm just a small, little, tiny indie film casting director. Now I'm not I'm not a big enough deal to change the world. But but you know, if you get three callbacks, the third ones in room with me, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, oh sure, I totally agree with you. All right, So your scene Bill was when Luke found out that he had a daughter and oh yeah, walked in asking for a piece of my hair or Luke's hair. Uh, what do you remember about filming that scene?
Speaker 2: I do, because specifically I remember I remember the the the kid actor if and'sa right as an adult, big deal now, right, Yeah, and her sister a big deal. But and I don't specifically remember her so much because she was just a young kid. But her mom, I totally remember her mom. I'm always paying attention to Mama Jerseys talking to the moms.
Speaker 1: She's so great. She was, she produced these two brilliant kids.
Speaker 3: She was she was one of the good ones and and I heard her on the phone going because it was day one and she was on the phone with I don't know, a relative or a friend or something just walking around.
Speaker 2: Said I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, and she was like, she was like, no, this is the Vanessa book to the big one. This is the big one that was And she caught my eye and I was like, yeah, you go right.
Speaker 1: Yeah that led to that.
Speaker 2: Led to all kinds of magic for her and I later later on was on a couple of years later, I got on I Carle the Nickelodeon Kids show, and that without naming names, that was a messful of mamagers, not good at all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of that were not what did you what do you call them? Mama?
Speaker 2: What mamagers? Mom managers, mamagers, mamagers.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, see, you know, if the kid asked you, you gotta put all the money in the cougan account and the kid can't have access to it.
Speaker 2: So the mamager can take twenty percent off of gross and put it in her pocket and they can get into work every day, you know. So that's why they all become mammagers. So all their psychological reasons too, but Vanessa's mom was one of the good ones. But I Carly was wow, that was a train wreck. I think there's a documentary about that, so I won't say anything more.
Speaker 1: So did the nerves begin to subside as you did? As you did more episodes? You felt more like part of the family almost, you.
Speaker 2: Know, definitely, and observing really helped me. And I'll tell you, just like a little zen thing was the repetition of doing things the same way, of getting the word for word out and watching the four minute steady cam blocking it was incredible. It was in a crowded diner. All of that discipline watching it happened actually calmed me down because it made me centered and focused on like I'm nailing it, you know, because I could. I started to like feel when the camera was there instead of like counting blocking numbers, and you know, instead of going okay, one, two, three, talk, I was like, okay, I can feel it. Here they come. But and it just my my, you know, I'm a I'm a bass player and a drummer and a guitar player, and my rhythm, my natural rhythm took over and I could feel the rhythm of the script and where I needed to come in rather than just like being nervous about my part's about to happen, you know. Yeah, and just watching everybody gave me the kind of like the discipline of repetition gave me confidence.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, yeah, those diner scenes were very involved, very involved with the blocking. Those were my favorite scenes.
Speaker 2: Though it's a tight little place to do a dance, it is, But I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I just I just love that set. I really love that set, and we did some good work on that set.
Speaker 2: It worked really well. It just really did. I was saying the Squeaky Tables anywhere that she's sick asp she had a she had a she goes. It was in the middle of the tank and one of the tables went, she goes. Okay people season six, Squeaky Tables seasons so classic. And I heard her writing voice when she did that. I was like, oh, that's her writing voice. I totally that's her voice.
Speaker 1: I get it now. Yeah, she didn't pop too much, but when she did it was really you know, she was amusing. It was always funny. Yeah, it was never angry or you know, I mean there was a little bit of frustration, like she's sending that message out to you know whatever.
Speaker 2: She didn't quite how much money that I made for you people, but the message was clear, come come squirt from W forty on these temples. Ye know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so funny. All right, So one of your episodes was the Winter Carnival as a hot dog vendor where you got to experience stars hollow all dressed up like that.
Speaker 2: Uh that was the snow, the fake snow, and that.
Speaker 1: Was a shoot. Yeah, so talk about that. He'll tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Well. I was obsessed with that that out that exterior part of is it called Middle America might calling it right that back lot of the WB area, but but for me, I immediately recognized the gazebo where the town square. I was like, that's Boss Hogs gazebo from the pilot Duke's matter. And then I was like, that's the Ronald Reagan movie something where he gives this speech. It just immediately I was connecting all the dots to to that little part of the lot. And and yeah, just to see it fully decorated with you know, with with trucks and the and the confetti's foam snow. I think it was a combination of both foam and confetti to make it or something. Not how close you were to camera, but you know, it was eighty five degrees outside and we all had winter jackets on and.
Speaker 1: And then messed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the various blowers and everything going. And I think they the band. I wasn't in the episode with the band Sparks, but it was just the week before that, so they were they were still cleaning up from the big band concert and they were still like, bring the snow in, take the band out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Sparks. Sparks was on Gilmour Girls, I.
Speaker 4: Know, Wild.
Speaker 2: Wiley and fifteen years before America. I mean, they've been around for fifty more than fifty years because I'm fifty. But they yeah, they they were. They were cool before they were cool, even on Gilmour Girls.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. All right, So so here we are, season seven, right, episode seventeen, they gave you a bill.
Speaker 2: Do y'all call that the bonus year or what do we if we call that extra season?
Speaker 1: The we call that, uh maybe a gift better left unwrapped? I don't know, understood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some you know.
Speaker 1: There's some really charming episodes in seven seven Season seven finding So I'm glad that they were made, and I think it's a relevant season and uh, you know, there's always going to be Bobbles. It's a hard, hard thing to do to all those seasons, but there's some really great episodes in there, and we just we just reviewed one.
Speaker 2: I did have one slightly juicy TMZ story which was in the last, the last episode that I did of season six, right, and it was it wasn't the it wasn't the last episode, but it was like maybe the third to last or penultimate. It was getting close to the season winding up, and every everything was in negotiations and up in the air, and nobody knew was what was the status at that point? What is there or is there not going to be? A seven? Was the deal? And I remember riding in the transpo van back to dressing or base camp or wherever we were, and one of the actors was riding back in the transfer van with me, one of the series Rigs and nice guy, and I just being dumb new actor green medi I was like, so were we coming back for another season or what? Not knowing that that was like very touchy at that point, and he just under his breath goes. I hear Alexis has a price. If they made it, we're going. I was like, welcome to Hollywood. Wow, okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those were those were touchy days.
Speaker 2: Touchy days. But like you said, and all in all, it was it was amazing to have another see then. I think I only came back like once in the final one anyway, but but yeah, it was, it was. It was super cool to I think one of the episodes is called super Cool Party People.
Speaker 1: Actually, yes, indeed, let's talk about your music. Yeah, so you're a musician, you're recording in a band. What's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to say that. You know, I've kind of always done both since I was about fourteen, both acting and music, because I quickly learned when I was about fourteen that I could stay out of the gym and spend all weekend building sets and stapling fabric with all the hot girls who did musicals in high school, and I would have air conditioning in the south instead of sweating, and half the guys were, let's say, not interested in the pretty girls. So for a chubby, nerdy guy like me, the odds got really good and I became a great listener, I mean to tell me all about it. Well, so I learned some pretty good skills there in high school from theater and music as well that everybody wanted to come see the band and kept me off the practice field running laps. So yeah, I'm kind of always done it. And this latest project that I mean, I had a band in LA for eight years called the Beechwood Canyon Rockers that we play every other tuestate piano bar. I've always kind of had it going. It's just different times in my life. One thing is kicking versus the other. But for me, they're always present. There's no difference. It's just where I'm paying taxes, right. But this most recent project, there is a singer songwriter artist in the South named Kevin Kinney who fronts a band called Driving and Crying that's done great over the years and they're beloved in the South. And his wife Anna Anna Jensen, who's an artist painter, she produced. She decided to produce a tribute series to him while he's alive, right, instead of tributes that happened after your dead. So it is so she has a label together and all that, and they are releasing one hundred songs in one hundred weeks, one every Friday for two years. That are his songs by other.
Speaker 1: People that other people recorded, correct, like legit artists.
Speaker 2: Yes, So five months ago she asked me to in La. I had a little comedy rock duo with my friend Laura Wiggins, who played Karen on Shameless the first three seasons with Serious Ray, and we had a little frickin' frack Russian comedy duo kind of thing. And Kevin Kevin's wife asked Laura and I who had toured with Kevin years ago out West and Peter Buck from Rim. We've done like an acoustic tour with them. Kevin's wife said, why don't you and Laura put together a project for this song? And so set in Stone is our current release that just came out two weeks ago or a week and a half ago, came out on July nineteenth. It was just released and we've been recording for months and months and it went and it's a Kevin's song that we recorded with a new band with Taylor Trucks, who's the son of Butch Trucks from the Almond Brothers. And then Laura sings backup and the guy from the Pink. So we're calling it slightly Famous Somebody's because we're slightly a big deal but not really a big Yeah, And it went so great, it came out so phenomenal that Kevin and everybody was like, you guys would be foolish to not keep going.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna write I'm gonna write this down after after I get off with you, I'm gonna listen to this stuff. What's the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the band is called Slightly Famous Somebody's and the song is called set in Stone, and it's on YouTube, It's on all the Spotify, Apple, it's everywhere. It's on all the services. I think one of your producers. My signature has all the links in it my email, so your producer's probably at it. And so yeah, so Kevin Kevin's suggestion. We went back into the studio about two weeks ago, and I'm going back in the studio again next week and we're recording an entire uh EP of all songs from Athens, Georgia Ish artists. Where's Kevin's from, and I'm from, where ore EM's from, Where Indigo Girls are from, and the Black Crows are from Windspread Panic and so we're covering a song by all of those artists and putting it on our record, which is going to be called athens Ish, so it's it's sort of a play on that. And yeah, we just did the Indigo Girls song from nineteen eighty nine last week called Land of Canaan, so that'll be out in a month or two, and then we have another single by another Athens band called Gladacamal Diary after that, and then the first week of September we're recording all of our favorite RM song and RM is kind of the mothership for Athens, so you have to you have to bow with the author of them, and that's no problem because we all love them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's exciting. That's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really it's do you have.
Speaker 1: A booking agent and they're setting tours and this.
Speaker 2: Kind of Well, that's the great thing is everybody in the band has their own primary other thing they do, right, So this is it's not I don't like to say that it's a side project. It's more like a pop up band, right, Like we pop up and we exist and then we're gone and we're kind of like the Partridge Family or the Blues Brothers. Or Eddie and the Cruisers. We're like a fake, real band made for TV, you know. So we are a band, but you know, I'm going for two songs air conditioning and cut the commercial break, not a van and sweaty people, right.
Speaker 1: That's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we want to get on Gemstones and be the house band or something, you know, like that would be would be great. But yeah, our lead singer, Mackenzie, she plays Stevie Nicks in the biggest Fleetwood Mac cover band in the nation, and she's on tour constantly. She's leaving tomorrow morning, gone, you know, a month at a time. So nobody's really available except for like the really concentrated time when we're all together and then everybody disappears.
Speaker 1: So, so you're down there in Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in Atlanta. I'm in Atlanta. Yeah, I'm back in forth in LA. Yeah, I'm in LA all the time. But I live I live full time in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Or casting stuff and whatever, but I so I kind of I work as an actor in LA and I work as a casting director in Atlanta. Just to keep it all over interesting interesting. I mean, I'll mix if someone offers, but that's just kind of how it's all falling out.
Speaker 1: You got to go where the work is right.
Speaker 2: Plus, like nobody, nobody here is doing it the l a way. So I was like, guys, I got eleven years there, I can do it that way.
Speaker 1: You know. I was in Atlanta over the past couple of years, did a convention there at the at the CNN Center, and god, there's the greatest sushi restaurant outside just outside it. What do you have you been to this place? Oh?
Speaker 2: But did you go to bou Hie Buford Highway we call Boohai and Shambley with all the it's like a small not even small, it's a massive Asian part of town. But the food is incredible.
Speaker 1: I don't think what's another one.
Speaker 2: Be boo Hi Shambley. I mean there's just so there's so much good, especially down there and also downtown where you were we called the Omni Center because bail.
Speaker 1: Now we we got out. It took forever to get out of downtown. It took forever to just drive one block and then you know, we were thinking about walking, but then the kebar said, oh no, no, no, this is a couple of mile drive, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's not a great walking town at all.
Speaker 1: The sushi was so good there. We went back night after night. Oh man, awesome, and I remember ordering. I actually ordered a platter and because because the the the salmon belly sushi was actually they were smaller pieces than what the what you get out here in California, thirty of them.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a place in downtown l A that a couple of times a year has all you can eat raw oysters for three hours.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I've destroyed my guts. I've come out of there like nobody's coming near me for a week after that.
Speaker 1: I tell you, you know, I lived in the South. I've traveled the South. The food is fantastic, isn't it. It's just so good down there. All right, So we're gonna do a rapid fire. It's a little game we play. Doesn't mean you have to be fast. I'm just gonna ask you a bunch of questions. So let's just relax. Let's answer these questions to the best of your ability. All right, here we go. How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 2: Oh easy? A lot of cream, no sugar.
Speaker 1: Are you a team logan, team ess or team Dean.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I'm team Logan.
Speaker 1: Why tell me why?
Speaker 2: I think. You see, I'm like casting nerds, so I'm following like the actor's career after they played you know, after they played Logans. I'm answering that in actor terms instead of character terms. So yeah, I like what that actor has done. But with a number of other projects too, So yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I think Logan was a really meaty role too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did a great job with it, didn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what a good launch. I would bet he's had a lot of the same kind of like everything else was easy after that kind of thing, because he's a ton of stuff to work with. Yes.
Speaker 1: Indeed, who was your favorite Gilmore Girls couple? Luke and Lorelei or Emily and Richard?
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely Luke Isla.
Speaker 1: Is there any other.
Speaker 2: Couple that's right? Well, I grew up in like the Atlanta debutante world, so the uh so the Emily world was like it was a little too close to home for me, and a lot of.
Speaker 1: I was like, give me what hev GB's every time you turned on the TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a guy a little I was looking for the gone with the wind cast sometimes.
Speaker 1: Would you rather work with Michelle or Kirk?
Speaker 2: Oh, Michelle?
Speaker 1: Would you what would you order at Luke's Diner?
Speaker 2: Cops solid, I have a bacon it Titian dressings go.
Speaker 1: Who would you rather hang out with? Paris or Lane?
Speaker 2: Oh? I really liked Lane. I did meet I didn't have a scene with Lane, but I met Lane in between scenes or in makeup, and I really liked I really liked Lane. I thought that was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Harvard or Yale or drop out and live in the poolhouse.
Speaker 2: Definitely pool house.
Speaker 1: You gotta go with the poolhouse.
Speaker 2: It's I've been sober seven years, but my brain is permanently attached to deviants and dropping out in clubhouse and party, even though I'm not that guy anymore. Like huh, my self images. So I'm like, you ask me questions that I'm like, Yes, let's go to New Orleans right now with no plan in nine dollars, let's.
Speaker 1: Do it interesting. Uh. Would you rather attend a dar event with Emily or a town town meeting with Taylor?
Speaker 2: Oh? See now this, I'll go the other way because Emily. I would be quiet and sit behind Emily and learn something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the right choice.
Speaker 2: This is I would let I would let her lead. Absolutely, I would step behind.
Speaker 1: Gilmore's character that you would want as a roommate. Oh caesar, Oh, I caeesar.
Speaker 2: Because he couldn't bring home leftovers every night. I needed Te's dip and things to eat after the game to.
Speaker 1: Watch somebody's thinking, somebody's thinking, somebody.
Speaker 2: Snacks from the diner, and plus like tell me fun, guys, we got to stick together. So yeah, he'd be my roommate.
Speaker 1: Something in your life you are all in on.
Speaker 2: Oh man, this one's a big one. You know. I wasn't like a criminal or anything, but you know I found my way into trouble a lot when I was a daily heavy alcohol abuser. And it's been seven and a half years. So my main mission now, I'm not like some goodie two shoes. I'm just trying to make I just try to g litmus tests myself of am I doing this in an ethical way? And that's my all in. It is like if the thing I want passes my truth mirrored ethical litmus test, then I am absolutely all in on it, and I try to put everything in front of that position first now and before I didn't think about it at all. I mean, I felt guilty about it when I didn't do it, but I didn't think about it, so it's not you know, I still screw up, fall in my face and do totally greedy things that are absolutely wrong and in my self interest every day, but I try to put that am I pursuing my goals ethically? Is my all in?
Speaker 1: That's it Jonathan Spencer, Ladies and gentlemen. There you have him in all his glory. Uh check out his uh.
Speaker 2: His bank famous, Somebody's.
Speaker 1: Slightly Famous, Somebody set in Stone, available on all platforms. It's been a pleasure talking to you, Jonathan. Wish you the best and we thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Great to talk to you, Scott, have a good one.
Speaker 1: Everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeart radio dot com.