Speaker 1: Well, first of all, you sound amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you will what I feel amazing.
Speaker 1: You had a competition and you turned out.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're in huge gymnasiums or arenas with loud music going, and you're coaching and giving corrections and counting and you know, pumping them up, all of that for an entire day, and this is the result of it. As a vocalist too, I probably should learn how I probably do know, and I just in the moment never use like direct belting techniques. And this is just what happens. And I think when we met, I was just getting done with my season and there was one or two episodes at the beginning where you're like, what is going on? So, yeah, that's that's what's going on. I'm in full coach era of.
Speaker 1: This week's Yeah, I think you've got to learn to use you use just your voice and you shriek as hard as you can. That's what you're supposed to do. It's like lifting. You're supposed to lift with your lower back and a quick jerk.
Speaker 3: Knows I swear I don't do that, but I just think it's like an all day thing. Yeah, I'm tired, I'm exhausted. And it just takes a minute for my voice to get back to normal.
Speaker 1: I get it. Did you ever date one of your coaches, because in the movie Today somebody does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh no, no, of course not.
Speaker 1: Of course you didn't, cause you're not a post to anyway. You're not a post to You're not a post to datum anyway. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends or pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high school's musical. I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Brien.
Speaker 1: Oh it is time to hit the ice, because this week I'm Magical Rewind. We got Blades of Steel for the two thousand and five d com Go Figure. It is a hybrid of sports, comedy and drama. The channel sure hit every single possible athletic activity to cover. This time, we get two and one. It's figure skating and hockey, two of their favorites mashed together. Sabrina, I know there is a close relationship, maybe even second cousin, like between dancing and figure skating. Did you ever consider taking your talents to the ice.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I But a true story is when I was I think I was two, my mom did want take me. It's not ice skating but roller skating before we went on a ski trip to like learn how to push right left to get me to be able to use my skis when I was really little. So I think that's where my roller slash ice skating kind of stopped.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was gonna say. I thought you're gonna say started. That was it.
Speaker 2: That's where it stopped. That was it.
Speaker 3: I did get one of the movies. It did for a Christmas movie called Miss Santa Claus. We did have to prove that we could ice skate, so I would go with my friends and things like that. I knew how to do some stuff, but not a lot, not enough.
Speaker 1: To we're such we're such ridiculous Disney kids. Because I learned how to ice skate for a movie as well, called h Double Hockey Stick. So it's like, it's such a Disney kid, Hey, where'd you learn how to skate?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I learned to skate for my two thousand whatever movie. And you're like, oh my god, we're those people. Yes, but it is true. Go figure first aired on June tenth, two thousand and five, and was made for a very very small budget, even for Disney Channel, at just five hundred thousand dollars. Again, I think we found out that the new Zombies movie is forty million. Yeah, I mean this five hundred thousand dollars, not the same.
Speaker 2: Way before was Zombies time.
Speaker 3: But even at in two thousand and five, five hundred thousand dollars for a budget.
Speaker 1: Is super slow, yeah, super super tennies yep. The movie had a poster, by the way, with the lead character Kate Kingsford, wearing the uniform of an ice skater but holding hockey equipment, and included the absolutely absurdly terrible tagline she shoots, she scores, she accessorizes. I wish I made that up, but I did not. Now, this is not a commonly referenced DCM, but it does have three things that have somewhat withstood the test of time. Number one, it has a very good soundtrack, which it does, and considering this is not a musical or even musically themed, that's a rarity to have such a good soundtrack in a non musical movie. The album was released the same week as the movie and ended up peaking at number twenty three on Billboard's Kid Audio chart. The lead single was a title track from the band ever Life, and the soundtrack also featured music from Bowling for Soup, Hope seven and Junk, as well as Disney related singers Raven Simone and Bree Larson. And yes, it is that Bree Larson. She seemed to be all over the channel without actually being on the channel, and then she was just a superstar. But we welcome to the dcom officially Bree Larson. But still the most obscure me position on this album, can we pick? Yes, it is a singer named Kelly Peters, who is the daughter of infamous movie producer John Peters and the god daughter of Barber Streisan. And the second thing that's stuck around is the appearance of ice skating legend Christy Yamaguchi, who's playing herself. Now I know a thing or two about acting alongside a skating legend, because on Boy Meets World I shot a very cold scene on Lake Placid with Nancy Kerrigan, and though it has also stood the test of time, I had no idea what I was doing to the point where for the big skating scene. I was on my knees backwards on a wheelchair as they were shooting up underneath me and wheeling me around the ice, and I was going like this to make it look like I was ice skating with everything going on around me. Disney bought me a very expensive pair of ice skates, and about three minutes in Nancy Carigan looked down and she said, wow, nice skates. I went, are they really nice? She goes, way too nice for you. And that was the start of my relationship with Nancy Carigan. She's actually very sweet. We've talked since.
Speaker 3: And I actually at Nancy and Christy Amagucci the same day at one of their events that they held that we got to sing live while they skated to our music, which was really cool.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Yeah, it's beautiful. Ice skating is actually beautiful.
Speaker 4: It is love.
Speaker 1: It a crazy world of figure skating, though again I know a little bit about it. I dated a championship figure skater from Canada for almost two years, so I got to see behind the curtain. And it is b A N A n as. It is a bananas world. It really is.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it it is really does.
Speaker 1: And lastly, for the three things that have stood the test of time. It is one of the two Disney produced movies with similar feeling ice skating plots, and they do get compared an awful lot the others. Two thousand and five's and of course everybody knows this title Ice Princess with Michelle Trachtenberg and Hayden Pennantier that was released in theaters. So not a dcom now, Although it's easy to point to both ice skating Disney movies, hey, they've got to be very similar. One big difference is that Ice Princess had a budget of twenty five million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, so lightly bigger.
Speaker 1: Yes, the five hundred thousand dollars budget for Go Figure was probably the craft service budget of Ice Princess. Yeah, it's definitely. Ice Princess is not ad com at twenty five million dollars. Also, while Go Figure deals with skating versus hockey, Ice Princess is about a girl who becomes interested in ice skating after a science project, forcing her to juggle her new passion with her mom's expectation for academics. It's much more of a drama with more adult themes, but a common thing you'll find online are fans mentioning the two in the same breath, and that has helped Go Figure live on because people probably think they're seeing Ice Princess and they turn on Go Figure by accident. I would imagine, yes, or one of the other. Yeah, one of the others. But luckily for us, Go Figure is included currently on Disney Plus if you're a subscriber, So go watch it now or again watch it later. We've always thought the easiest way to decide is to just go find and then ask a parrot what he or she says, and then just live by that. Did you okay? What did you know? We always asked had you heard of Go Figure? Did you know anything about Go Figure?
Speaker 3: I was one of those people that was thinking Ice Princess when this title came across as one of our next movies.
Speaker 1: I think I was too. I think I was too. Do we even even need to ask? Had I known what this movie was? Of course I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did it?
Speaker 1: Hey, For the first time in a while, I guessed what it was due to the you know, the title title. Yeah, unlike Ali, Ali, Catch Strike or whatever. I was like, great, I love a good cat movie. Thirteenth year Barba's foot. No, this at least I knew. I figured, yeah, it was thank you yeah about ice skating. Thank you very much. Perfect before you put on a park and throw off your gloves. Let's get into the synopsis. A teenager who dreams of becoming a champion figure skater discovers that a top Russian instructor is working at a nearby private school. When an opportunity for a scholarship arises, she's forced to play women's hockey, a sport she's never even tried before. Sabrina, what'd you think of the film?
Speaker 2: H I, oh, you know this one. We just came off high school musical too.
Speaker 3: I mean it was quite a shift, quite a shift. I love figure skating. I was super stoked to hear that Christy Yamaguchi was going to be in this movie, just from the titles alone. When it popped up, I went, oh, my gosh, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I've been able to spend some time with her. She's incredible, and I've watched loving her career. I love watching the Olympics figure skating. So I had high hopes and was deflated within the first ten to eleven minutes of the movie, I was kind of like, no, this isn't I don't think I'm going to enjoy it that much.
Speaker 2: I just kind of knew right from the start this was not going.
Speaker 3: To be one of up in that Oh I love this movie, and I was hooked, hooked the whole time. I could tell very early on that that was not going to be the case for me, and I was right.
Speaker 2: I ended the movie in the same sentiment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I loved this movie. I didn't. I didn't love this movie.
Speaker 2: It was well, I mean, I know we're getting to know each other, but.
Speaker 1: No, my god, no, it was okay. This My My main problem with this movie was it had no idea what it was. It was a comedy, was it a drama? Was it a sports movie? Who was I rooting for? I didn't understand a lot of the choices, A lot of the the tone shifted, like every ten minutes. I hated her family.
Speaker 3: First time in a while. And I hate saying this, because you know, I never liked to say negative things. I'm not really like I don't love to do that. But this was not the greatest acting we've seen either.
Speaker 2: No, I across the board of the cast.
Speaker 3: I mean, they weren't horrible. I just think we're getting you to scene some even if the script's not great, even if you know, these actors are just phenomenal and and unfortunately it some it just didn't carry you. I mean it really, it just it was it wasn't that great either, So I couldn't live on you know, we say that so many times the acting was great, Yeah, it was the holes in the plot line, this and that, and honestly, I mean it was okay, it wasn't horrible, but it was like, yeah, used to the great, the great young actors we get to see all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I also think it's Yeah, it's one of those things where I'm again I'm doing my my damnedest as a forty eight year old man to put myself as a younger person watching the movie. I'm totally trying to do that, I really am. But I can only go so far with that because by this age I was an actor for many, many, many many years. By the age I was there, and so I'm having an easier time forgiving maybe acting that isn't that great if it was way early in the dcom runs. I'm talking early nineties that kind of stuff. As oppose, we're now two thousand and five, we've had Cheetah Girls has come out.
Speaker 2: The TV shows on the channel are freaking yes, crazy.
Speaker 1: They're great. I mean, there's like plenty of really really talented people on the channel right now, and it feels like the channel has turned corner by this point in its history of the quality of the product that they're putting out. And this felt like a five hundred thousand dollars movie threw together with kind of hey, let's let's get who we can get. So yes, again, not trying to bash anybody, it's just we have to not only compare it with what we thought, but with other things we're seeing. And you're right, we've just come off a high school musical two, which is this huge lavish The production is incredible.
Speaker 2: That acted like a year later, yeah, I mean a year later.
Speaker 3: Than this movie May Yeah, and you know what have been an easy fix, Sir Jason, he would.
Speaker 2: Have been an ex right in there.
Speaker 1: Of course, you throwing a sir Jason or a lady.
Speaker 2: Lady and it would have been done.
Speaker 1: But anyway, go figure was and not trying to bash it in any way show no, no, no, it was I get what it was trying to do. It just kind of fell flat for me. Go Figure is directed by Francine McDougall. We always like to point out when it's a female director, which is a rare occurrence even nowadays, especially for movies. She is best known for directing the two thousand and one comedy Sugar and Spice starring Mina Suvari and Marla Sokolov, two friends of Boy Mets World, which was her debut behind the camera. You might know her name because she also directed the Ali and ajdcom Cowbells, which we covered to go check that recap out when you have the time. She also now is an accomplished photographer and currently working in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 1: The movie stars Jordan Hinson, who is also mentioned online as Jordan Danger. She plays Caitlin Kingsford Gotta Love the Good Disney Decomliteration, and this was her first real job. She'd later be seen in the movie of Ary, Harold and Kumar Christmas, but is best known as Zoe Carter on the TV show Eureka Worth noting for this movie she had to learn how to ice skate and was trained by Olympic choreographer and two time Emmy winner Sarah She's worked on the Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, Blades of Glory and Itania, and she was the figure skating coach in the business as well. And Jordan Hinson currently has a skincare company called Rider Supply Company made from beef tallow which apparently especially for men, is incredible for your skin. That was started at the beginning of two thousand and four. Again, I'd just like to use head and shoulders on my whole body and boom, thank you very much. Whitney Sloan plays Hollywood. She was seen on shows like Judging, Amy in General Hospital and appears to have left the business in two thousand and seven with a political science degree and a graduate education outside of Los Angeles. Christine Rose is Natasha. Christine was in the Mill Gibson movie What Women Want and played Angela on the TV show Heroes. More recently, she was seen on Trial and Error and How to Get Away with Murder. The answer to that is don't kill people. Ryan Malgarini is the little brother Bradley and you for sure know Ryan as Harry Coleman and the Lindsay Lohan version of Freaky Friday. But he's also been seen on Gilmore Girls, Malcolm in the Middle Bones and as the lead on the show Gary Unmarried. Amy Hallerin is tough Girl Ronnie. She was seen in the movie Surviving Christmas and on TV shows like Superstore, Bosh and The Millers. And another familiar face for you rewinders is Tanya Gunadi, who played Mojo. You remember her, of course from Pixel Perfect, and you recognize her voice from basically every animated project from Transformers Prime to DC Superhero Girls. I was on both of those to Fancy Nancy. She also appeared on two episodes of A Girl Meets World. Very good actor. Two other actors worth mentioning. The first is Jake Abel, who plays Spencer. This was his first job ever and he went on to have an impressive Hollywood career, most recently in the surprising horror hit Malignant, but also in Percy Jackson, Supernatural and Dirty John. And We've got Friend of the Show. Paul Kieran in his back with another one of his numerous decom appearances, this time a nice juicy part as Coach Reynolds You may remember we spoke to Paul when we recap The very surreal Luck of the Irish, where they had to sit him down just to tell him, Hey, you're Irish, and let's not forget. We've got Olympic hero Christi Yamagucci as wait for it, Christy Yamaguchi. The movie is ninety two minutes long, two minutes off the target, but close enough that we're not gonna nitpick, We're not gonna cause a scene. And it's written by two people, a bell ringing writing combination, Patrick J. Clifton and Beth Regazzio, the duo behind Read It and Weep. Clifton also wrote the Rider Strong ABC movie that we recapped on Podmet's World Summertime Switch. All right, let's not waste any more time. Let's land that triple and get into go Figure. You ready, you ready?
Speaker 2: Here we go doing it.
Speaker 1: We jump right into it, meeting Caitlin Kingford through narration. She's in the middle of a skating performance and she's really, really good. Some jealous competitors watch on and call her a dork and pray for her downfall. That's when we meet Ed and Linda, her supportive rents as she calls them, watching on in the stands alongside her younger brother, a nerdy, promising hockey player. We also see her coaches Bob and Ginger giving real Will Ferrell and Cherio Terry cheerleading vibes. She loves them, but she knows to get gold metal status, she's gonna need a Russian, That's all, she says, I just need to train with the Rushi. Doesn't seem to matter which one just a Russian, but it does matter apparently, because this is where we meet Natasha Guberman, a live action Corolla Deville and clearly named after the Rocky and Bullwinkle villain. It's Caitlyn's dream to be coached by her. And then we flash back to fifteen minutes before the performance. Caitlyn is getting ready and helps the younger girl by giving her her scrunchy. Caitlyn will just use her lucky rubber band, even though she thinks she's a lock to win and doesn't need it, And then we flash forward to Caitlyn's routine, and this is when it becomes very obvious to me anyway that Wow is her figure skating double awful nice a skater, great skater, but you just it's you just know it's not hers.
Speaker 3: She's thin and blonde, looks nothing like her. She's taller than her, she has as distinctive nose like her profile looks so different.
Speaker 2: I mean it is so noticeable.
Speaker 1: You know. What I actually thought was it would be a pretty okay stunt double for like Ashley Tisdale, Yes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you know, Caitlin just her her whole face just didn't know much younger.
Speaker 2: This the the stunt double was a lot older.
Speaker 3: All of the figure skaters in this movie were significantly older than our lead. Y.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, but it was bad. I know it was bad.
Speaker 3: It really took me out of it to find a double, a skate figure skating double in LA knowing their budget as well, like they were under some that was tight.
Speaker 2: That's that was hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's it's funny because that's how I met my girlfriend at the time, who was who was a skater, because she was the skating double for the lead girl in HT Double Hockey Sticks, who was a small blonde skater. So it's literally how I met my girlfriend was this yeah, uh, and then when I but she her name was Kila. She seamlessly move worked into the movie and h a double hockey six. You couldn't really tell whereas this was.
Speaker 3: This was pretty bad and you notice it right from the first time you see her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this was really do I mean this is the worst one so far, don't you think, because it's clearly not Jordan Hintson. I mean, do you think this is I think this is worse than Johnny Tsunami?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, No.
Speaker 3: The one I was thinking was for Kyle when Kyle was doing the right the skateboarding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his was pretty bad too.
Speaker 1: This is bad though.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard. I get it. You're talking about kids.
Speaker 3: You're trying to f you're finding a double for for a little person, like you're not another adult.
Speaker 1: You're also filming skating where it's like it's constant twirling and moving, so the face is there all the time. This is not an easy thing to shoot around, to try to shoot skating.
Speaker 2: I noticed it, but I kind of like you had to let it go.
Speaker 1: I get I let it go.
Speaker 3: It seems like one like you're right very hard, and two you're talking about getting professional athletes that are going to be a teenager. That's got to be so hard to find.
Speaker 1: This was jarring though to me this was bad. But anyway, so, while competing, in the middle of a jump, Caitlyn's replacement rubber band breaks, throwing the skater double because it's not her to the ice. This is her nightmare, parents, coaches, fans all in dismay. She gets back up and finishes her routine to pity applause. Caitlyn makes her way off the ice to hear a skater addressing another girl down, insulting her performance and outfit. And while I thought this would be a nice moment for her to jump in and save the girl, to give a bit of you know, give the bully a bit of her mind, Nope, she just walks right by. I think this shows a little bit of the skating world which I saw too. It's kind of seems like this. Yep, she actually insists the criticism is valid. She says, in skating, you're either Christi Yamaguchi or Tanya Harding. And then man to bring that up in a Disney movie was pretty amazing. But they also kind of referenced Tanya Harding more as a skater and her skaters style as opposed to what she then infamously became famous for.
Speaker 3: Right, And I was pretty little when the Tanya Harding thing happened, so I was like, was this removed enough or was this like the nineties?
Speaker 1: I think it was. The ninety two is when for the ninety two Olympics is when that happened. So yeah, this is ten to fifteen years later, twelve years later or whatever. But to get a Tanya Harding, you know, reference in a d com is pretty amazing. But now we're in the locker room, she can already feel her competition basking in her fail. They're all a bunch of Tanya Harding, she says. The other the two earlier girls who called her a dork and prayed for her to fall, come up and kiss her butt. They're obviously mean girl liars, but her coaches Bob and Linda make her feel a little bit better. We are now back on the ice. It's the metal ceremony, and hilariously, the little girl who borrowed the scrunchy appears to be the one to have won, and Caitlin lost five points for her fall. She didn't even meddle. But good news. The Russian Nataja Gubertman, who does Russian accent, approaches Kaitlin and wants to make her a star. Even Bob and Ginger are happy for her. And with that Russian accent, you should all know the activists playing Latasha listen Rolls is from Lynnwood, California, So yeah, put it on. Put on the Russian accent the entire time she's been in a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: How did you build on her Russian accent? I was dying dying.
Speaker 1: It wasn't bad, you know, especially for a d com. You wanted to be a little bit caricatry, like I am the Russian coach, so you always do the v's for w's, Can I speak visio skater like? Things like that are just kind of cartoony, But I think that's exactly how they wanted it to be, and it worked for the character. Natasha, of course, thinks Caitlyn has big potential but need some work. Natasha loves her passion and wants to train Kaitlin at her boarding school. She said the training will be a nightmare, but those who make it through become champions. This is spot on for this world because I remember again my girlfriend is this was her life it's you skate two three times a day for several hours a day. You're constantly sore, you're constantly bruised, you're always in ice baths. It's you turn your skate from here to here, and everything's different. Oh yeah, well she was older by this point, so she was out. But yes, she was homeschooled.
Speaker 3: Well, the way I've always imagined ice skating is right along the lines of gymnasts, like they are life camps and you're living where you're training as a young person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she, my girlfriend, if memory serves, was homeschooled because that was the skating is your life you do. It's like being an actor secondary, you know, that's what you use three hours here and three hours there when you're on the set. But your job as a kid is to skate, or to be a gymnast, or to be an actor. That's what this world is like. Wild And this is why then this part through me because we're now back at her house and Caitlyn's parents aren't sold on the boarding school. It's too expensive and with her unfocused past, they don't think she'd last a day with Natasha. And this is where I was like, you don't get to this level of figure skating without having your parents being the ones who put you in it when you two. Right, So the idea that her parents are like, this is your thing, No way in hell she.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have Is that how it works?
Speaker 3: No, she wouldn't have even been in an environment or any type of stage that would have Natasha be looking at her. Yeah, if it wasn't a full blown family is all.
Speaker 1: In Yep, that's you know. They tried to save it a little bit later. They tried to save it with a conversation a little bit later. But this is where I was like, Nope, false. They didn't research the world because by the time year four in figure skating, you've already been skating two years, and you don't put yourself in there at two it's your parents going you're gonna be a figure skater. So this where the dad was like, Eh, you can't do it, Pumpkin, and the mom was like, I don't know if we get I was like, hmm, not at this level, not a chance. But anyway, that's my own personal stuff. I'll keep it in the back of my head, put it in a little box, shove it down until it becomes an ulcer. That's how it's supposed to work. She's storms into her brother's room now because I'm she's not gonna get money from her parents to go to this boarding school. He's studying geometric hockey positions on his computer. Natasha wants to sell his hockey puck collection for tuition. How much could sign hockey pucks be worth? But he is not into it. He calls her a spoiled self center primadonna. Don't hold back, bud, don't hold back. But at the boarding school, Caitlyn tells Natasha all about our financial troubles, and we get a weird Vladimir Putin mentioned here, which obviously has not aged well, and she keeps calling Kitlyn her little Sputnik. But she has an idea. She approaches the hockey coach and asks him to give her a falsified hockey scholarship, which, if memory serves, is exactly what landed Laurie Laughlin in prison. Am I wrong? No?
Speaker 2: I thought about it. I went, oh my gosh, I was pretty shocked.
Speaker 1: This is a bad thing. This turns out to be a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you cannot do this.
Speaker 1: Nope, this is uh what do they call it? Illegal? He is. Yeah, not a good thing, but Natasha thinks Caitlyn would make a great hockey player, especially since she's the only under sixteen year old skater to hit a triple axel in competition. The coach doesn't have a great team, but there's no way a figure skater is the piece he's missing. Well, unless he gets to take Natasha out for dinner. She agrees, and now we have another moral line being crossed. Thank God for this hornball hockey coach. So that's the story. If he'll he'll put her on the team if he can get a little something. I mean, that's literally what it comes down to. Expt.
Speaker 3: I had a question though, why would she be a good hockey skater because she can do a triple axel in competition? Why does that make any difference? Except for in the Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 1: It doesn't, and maybe in the Mighty Ducks it would, but.
Speaker 3: In the Mighty Ducks of movie it works out in good favor for them. But I don't understand why that would make sense, Like, oh, she'd be a great great figures for a free hockey player because she could do all these figure skating moves.
Speaker 2: I know, Okay, and someone will just push her over.
Speaker 1: I'm going to admit something crazy on this podcast, of all podcasts, never seen the Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know, I seen three of my Sabrita Seas then, because you don't even get this is all I know.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm I'm ashamed of myself. I admit that I know Sean Weiss, I know Marguerite Moreau, I know people in the Mighty Ducks, and I literally have never seen the Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just can't even handle it.
Speaker 1: I know. I apologize to the entire Estevas Klan, I have seen it. But Natasha informs Caitlyn she got the Buston Academy scholarship. Caitlyn is thrilled, but she also finds out hockey training starts in a week. There are no figure skating scholarships, so hockey is the only way that they can make this happen. She is forced to do both sports at the same time, even though she's never played hockey and the uniforms are gross. Eventually, she accepts in order to train with Natasha to become the best figure skater ever. We are now back at home, Caitlyn is already practicing hockey with her dad, using sticks in a ball in a laundry basket. Bradley, her awful little brother, who is actually a well trained hockey player, is disgusted, especially when she starts hitting the balls past her dad and saying, Wow, come on, this is so easy. Hockey is his thing. Now she's packing for Buxton, Caitlyn's mom says she isn't sad, she's excited for Caitlyn, and right when she praises her daughter for growing up, Caitlyn puts a load of plushies in her suitcase. And Okay, before we even get into do we like Caitlyn yet, the mom in one scene switches from you're not going to the school, you're not leaving, you're not old enough to this, we can't afford it too. I'm excited you're going to it. Just it was so quick, which they did that a bunch in this movie, where something happens in one scene and then the next scene it's completely the opposite.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, and also there there is the fact that it from the beginning in the stands, I even wrote looks like we're gonna love the parents. They're in the stands being so excited to then like, ew, no, we don't care about it. It has switched twice.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, parents, that's what I'm saying. They keep the tone of this movie, and what's going on is changing scene by scene. It's it's really strange. Yeah, now, do you let me ask a straight up question. At this point, do you like Caitlin? Do you find her a likable character?
Speaker 3: I at this point in the movie, she's she's sort of bratty. She's kind of just not a self aware I'm seeing that, right. But what's throwing me off is everyone she's around is that it looks like they're supposed to be her age is significantly older.
Speaker 2: So that's why I'm kind of going, is she.
Speaker 3: Just really young compared to everyone, Like everyone the dorm mates, everyone on her team, even the people that she's competing against in the figure skating world. Everyone seems so much older than who she is. So I'm thinking she's just like kind of supposed to be a little immature compared.
Speaker 1: To everyone's supposed to be a little girl kind of going into it.
Speaker 3: Don't worry because she and all that stuff, like you know what I mean, Like, I don't think I even have any kind of stuffed animals in high school or anything like that.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: She just seemed really young, So I was kind of thinking, Oh, she's just I don't know. I was still trying to figure it out at this point.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I do make a decision later on in the movie, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did too, But yeah, so I get what they were going for Disney wise. I just the tone just kept changing for me. I was like, well, I don't know, what are these parents? Yeah, it was very strong. Caitlyn's mom says the boarding school might help her realize there's more to life than ice skating, but Caitlyn, like a young Kobe Bryant training for basketball, doesn't think so. Again, you're almost never going to find a skater at this level who might be training for the Olympics whose parents are not in one hundred percent. You're just right, at least one parent. You're just not Yeah, for what? And they again, they try to save it later, but still and now it is her first day at Buxton and the first Eagles girl hockey practice. She's late and the coach is giving a very five marry pep talk. Caitlyn Scots at his passion, but she's surrounded by strong girls who use less conditioner in their hair than she does. We also meet Spencer, a student assistant coach, wondering why a player who can't even keep her helmet on is on the team. Fair Point coach Reynolds, who's apparently doing the whole thing so he can have sexual relations with Natasha, calls Caitlyn their quote unquote secret weapon. But when practice starts, Kitlyn has immediate trouble skating. Now, I guess that figure skates and hockey skates are two different things. I totally understand that, but would it be so different that you literally can't stand on skates while being an almost semi pro skater.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, I don't believe so I know that, And they mentioned you don't have the top pick.
Speaker 1: Sure they do that in cutting it.
Speaker 3: Imagine she wouldn't be able to do her tricks. Sure if the ice hockey skates on, But the fact that she has zero balance, and later on we see her run into the side of a rink like she can't turn at all, it was.
Speaker 1: Kind of absurd.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it was absurd. It went too.
Speaker 1: Far, way too far. It's you've never been on skates before. It's not that different to where I mean we talked about this where uh you know there's the famous I think we talked about it on this podcast. There's the famous foot video footage of Tony Hawk the first time you ever go snowboarding and he's never snowboard before, and he's doing like flips and stuff because he's like, it's kind of like a skateboard. Yes, it's a different thing, but yeah, I have the muscles do this.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's easier than I would think going from roller skates to roller blades.
Speaker 2: Right, it's still a blade.
Speaker 1: Ice hockey skates to figure skates.
Speaker 3: When it starts to get so absurd and like unbelievable, then you're going.
Speaker 1: Oh, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: You feel like anyone.
Speaker 3: Knows very much about these sports and that's not ever good for me with sports.
Speaker 1: Movies way too much. But practice continues. Turned up to eleven and Caitlin is bootsy. Yes, people, bootsy a word used by assistant Spencer. He says it means bad and I'm gonna go out on a big old limb here and say, hey, this was made up by him and for this movie. Now at Bradley's school, he learns the robo Wars are coming. It's a BattleBox type competition, and he has already entered. He's going to focus on this type of mechanics instead of playing hockey. He doesn't see the point anymore because his sister cheated to get on the team in college. I'm guessing that's what it is, even though she's in high school. But I guess it's like this was his thing, and this is what made me special in the family, and you jumped in and you are now got a scholarship for it for shame.
Speaker 2: I guess again, old is this brother?
Speaker 1: He is thirty one?
Speaker 3: O little he is such a little like. I did not understand how old he was supposed to be either.
Speaker 1: She's a freshman. I'm guessing they're supposed to make him like fifth or sixth grade. Yeah, I know it was. They made them all very young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know it was. It was strange.
Speaker 3: However, I was into the robo Wars of those TV shows. Those are so bad.
Speaker 2: I love watching them.
Speaker 3: I was excited thinking we were gonna see a lot of it, and we didn't see as much.
Speaker 1: We did not Anyway, he doesn't see the port anymore. Because his sister cheated to get on the team in high school, it seems like a very easy retreat if he loves hockey. He did quit very briefly. We never once saw.
Speaker 2: Him playing hockey either.
Speaker 1: At all, which they should have. After the Eagles first hockey practice, Caitlyn tries to fit into the locker room dynamics. We meet her teammates Hollywood, Ronnie the captain, and Mojo, a teammate who appears to be a hippie witch of some kind, one of those kind of yeah. Next practice she finds out is tomorrow at seven a m. That is early, and Caitlyn knows what she has to do. It's so funny. This was the one funny part of the thing. She's like, I can do this, no problem, and they smash cut to we jumped to Coach Rentals, the hockey's coach's office, and she's quitting. We get a lot of extreme close ups of Caitlyn's mouth in this movie.
Speaker 3: This was one of my sabrinas seas, why are they doing like, I don't know, close ups of mouth.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah, it was an.
Speaker 2: Odd don't understand her. Maybe there's something will we'll be able to enlighten me on and.
Speaker 1: You don't know, mouth focus. Really that is like, oh.
Speaker 2: Symbolism of something. I was like, Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: I hated them. They're awkward and uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: It's was really weird. An odd choice for the director to just occasionally focus on someone's mouth and then pull out it was. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was weird.
Speaker 1: But coach Reynolds does not accept her resignation. He says if she quits now, he'll have to answer a lot of questions because he broke the rules for her. You think, how about also sleeping with the woman as kind of a bribe. Maybe we should tackle that, coach. But if she plays her cards right, she won't have to play in a single game. He also warns her to keep the figure skating stuff to herself because her teammates don't need any more AMMO on her. Caitlyn arrives at her dorm room and meets her roomy, her teammate Amy quote unquote Hollywood Henderson, who introduced her herself as left wing. Caitlyn says, she's a moderate conservative. Very funny. I also love just because shout out to a hometown or close to the hometown where she says, I'm not really from Hollywood, I'm from Tepega. Amy actually seems kind and supportive, but she thinks Caitlyn's Christy Yamaguchi poster is just there for irony. Hollywood doesn't think quote unquote twirl girls, which is what they call figure skaters in the hockey world, are real skaters and bashes the sport as freakish. Just then Ronnie and Mojo enter. Ronnie definitely isn't nice and has very low expectations for the season. Meanwhile, Mojo sages the room. We are now at figure skating practice, Caitlyn feels much more at home. Natasha coaches her, but the other girls in the club are just as unfriendly as the hockey team. But Natasha isn't impressed with any of them. And when Caitlyn's body double shines and skates very well and Natasha praises her new little sputnik, it causes even more tension on the team. She overhears them talking about her hockey scholarship and attacking her in the locker room. She eventually has had enough and rushes in to stand up for Bob and junior her coaches, saying she'll be doing her talking on the ice boom. Back in the dorms, Caitlyn sneaks into the janitorial closet, where she's apparently hidden some of her more twirly girl items. Her Christy Yamagucci poster now with darts in it, her ice skating dress, and an entire setup to cook meth I'm kidding. I was just seeing if everybody is still with me. It was plushies. She's not, in fact cooking, and she gets comfortable as the janitor walks in. They apparently have an agreement, and she slides him a sandwich to keep him quiet.
Speaker 2: Giant sandwich, A huge two.
Speaker 1: She had two enormous sandwiches in her face.
Speaker 3: I mean, just you we are breaking any type of type cast that figure skaters don't eat, because she.
Speaker 1: Pulls a six foot HOGI yeah, exactly, and there you go. Later that night, passing a bar venue, she sees assistant coach Spencer playing in a rock band. Keep this in mind because it becomes very important to the story. She does not seem impressed. She quietly enters her dorm room only to see Hollywood still up studying for an exam, an exam Caitlyn didn't even know existed. Caitlyn's roommate is already suspicious about what's going on. It's now the next morning, Caitlyn's on the phone with her mom complaining about how hard school is. Her mom says she's having a quote Internet garage sale and getting rid of her junk. What is that? What's an Internet rodge show?
Speaker 2: Is that eBay back then?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I mean, I don't know. It's that we could talk about that. She might become a billionaire, who knows. I know.
Speaker 2: I feel like eBay was around around that time.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five maybe, but it was. It was early in the days. Yeah, there was like one thing being sold okay, quick trivia question. And I can't believe I even know this, but I do. I don't know. Is one of the dumb things in my head. What was the first item ever sold on eBay? Nope? A broken laser pointer was the very first item ever sold on eBay?
Speaker 2: Why would someone sell something broken?
Speaker 1: I would go farther to say, why the hell would I know that? But I do. Everybody around there is googling and chat gpting, and you're gonna find out I'm in fact correct, very strange. It is now the first game of the hockey season, and Natasha is in the stands. The girls are getting ready in the locker room. Mojo is rubbing garlic in her skates, Hollywood is doing yoga, and Caitlyn is applying makeup, which infuriates Ronnie. Kaitlyn isn't nervous because she's pretty sure she won't be playing at all. We join the game with the Eagles already down five nothing. Spencer wants to put in Kaitlyn so she'll quit faster, we find out, especially because we learned that scholarship athletes have to play, which was probably a late plot point added to the script because they needed to get her in there for some reason. And just like that, Caitlyn is put in the game. Caitlyn is frozen. She's terrified on the ice. Natasha can't believe he put her in the game. She could get hurt. Coach Reynolds, however, his hands are tied. She has to play, which again they seem like they added after he said, don't worry, you're not gonna have to play. Now she has to play well.
Speaker 3: And it was never just gust on Natasha and Coates Reynolds's initial conversation that she can't play. She was giving him the reasons why she'd be a great hockey player, thinking that she was most likely going to have to play whole.
Speaker 2: Thing lost again, they're changing anything of liars. I don't be anything in this script anymore.
Speaker 1: I am done. If you're a liar, I don't buy it.
Speaker 2: You're out.
Speaker 1: It's over. They were just kept They kept changing it from scene to scene. It was that's what I meant by tone. It just really I keep saying odd, bizarre and strange and weird.
Speaker 2: But it was it goes to our like magical rules. There's the rules, not build.
Speaker 1: The world, build the world? What ruled? Because if you give me a set of rules, I know what to follow. Now lost, but it is anyway she has to play. We watch her once again check herself into the boards. Ronnie calls for a block from Caitlyn, but Caitlyn totally misses it. Ronnie is checked to the ground. This makes Ronnie mad enough to tackle Caitlyn, her own teammate. This just is not working out. The team piles into the locker room and the co WHI is furious with Ronnie. Spencer tells Caitlyn that he's impressed she hasn't quit yet, but he knows she's trouble for the team. Back at the dorms, Hollywood thinks Caitlyn got off easy for missing that block and wants to see the bump on Caitlyn's head. In the process of inspection, Hollywood knocks down a cup filled with it's either Hawaiian punch or blood, We're not entirely sure. Hollywood wants to get a mop from the janitor's closet, but Caitlyn quickly stops her. Caitlyn goes in to get it herself, but Hollywood sneaks in behind her and sees her sad little figure skating set up. She knew she was a tooral girl. Hollywood admits she can't tell anyone or Caitlyn would be skinned alive, So hey, good friend, they're setting her up. I won't ratch out. Later on their way to class, Hollywood just wishes Caitlyn would have just told her she was a tooral girl. She's never met one before, and she's actually pretty nice about it. We are back at Caitlyn's family's house. Bradley is working on his robot Destructo. He's joined by his little school friend. The name for the character is listed as hooneron Hooner, we never hear it, but Hooner the robot shorts out, crashing into a tree and it speeds up off down the street. I guess it is back to the drawing board for them. We are now at figure skating practice. Natasha continues to turn Caitlyn into a champion, infuriating Pamela, her most competitive teammate, who clearly does not like Caitlyn. At the school cafeteria, Kitlyn sees her hockey team. It's at one table, coach Spencer at another table, and two figure skaters, one of them being Hater, asked Pamela nearby. Uh oh, where is she gonna sit? Eventually, Pamela calls her over and congratulates her for making the front page of the school paper. She turns it around and it's a picture of her fighting with Ronnie. But instead of antagonizing her more, Pamela says she's sorry for being mean. I don't buy this. I don't buy it. I don't buy exactly. She invites Kitlyn to a party tomorrow night, but Caitlyn can't go. There's a Natasha Knight practice, but Caitlyn eventually gives in. She'll party for a little while, and I don't buy it. I don't think Pamela's all of a sudden be a nice door. Meanwhile, Spencer and his hockey team, we think, walk by the girl's practice facility and he sees Caitlyn practicing alone. Worth noting. Here we do get a nice shot of Jordan Hinson actually skating. There's no stunt double, but also no tricks, but hey, that's to be understand but at least we get to see her skating, so it doesn't pull you out of the scene. Spencer goes in to say hi, and he is impressed with her work ethic, but Caitlyn doesn't trust him and wants him to leave. He makes a deal with her, if she can get a puck past him, he'll never say another bad word about her or to her again. So she does what she does best. She makes a quick spin move and he immediately is down on his back. She skates past him and scores perfectly on the open net. Wait, what the so, all of a sudden she's good? When did that happen?
Speaker 2: For the last ten minutes. Will of course she's good. What do you mean? I don't understand wh I was like waiting to see for ten full minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, she is now ready for not the Olympic figure skating team, but the Olympic women's hockey team.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell's obviously good now?
Speaker 1: But did you were you? Like what? You were just out by this point? Were you did? You had checked out yet? Wrap it up and roll the credits, because it was I was like, wait, how is she good?
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, I did notice though he doesn't skate at all, so he's like this assistant coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah in a band, keep that in mind, that's important. And then this yeah, well, soon after this happens, the college party were there, and it looks like a college party, but it's actually high school. And it's strange because there's some people that look like they're in college and other kids that look like they're eleven.
Speaker 3: This Like, I don't know much about boarding schools. I've never been to one. I don't have any friends that come from them, so I have no like real pictures, but I would not assume boarding schools looked like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both my brothers went to school, private school, but not boarding school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like living in a dorm okay maybe, but like able to like throw parties.
Speaker 1: Like this, Yeah, or just go to the supply room and get other things. Yeah, No, I don't think that. I don't know, but I don't know. Maybe it is and I missed out on going to boarding.
Speaker 2: And buy this for a second, not for I buy this for a.
Speaker 1: Second her getting good with one practice that I buy. So this high school party's in full swing. Caitlyn arrives and is immediately welcomed by Pamela. She tells her that they've run out of cups and they need some more from the supply room. Caitlyn gladly lends a helping hand, but it's obvious that she has some devilish plan. When she enters the utility room, Pamela locks the door and a can of purple paint covers her head to toe. A poster on furls and reads go home, spot Nick. And then a little while later, her janitor friend finally opens the door and lets her out. As she rushes out, she sus Spencer, who appears to either be just returning or going to a gig with his band. The reason I've mentioned his band several times now is because she walked by and showed him in that one scene where he's playing with the band, and it's never mentioned again. No, not in any way, shape or form. Hey are you in a band? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thot you're beat series. I was like, gosh, I don't I think I know. I don't remember going to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: No, never never mentioned the band.
Speaker 2: But it's important.
Speaker 1: No, she doesn't even ask him, Hey, you're in a band, but yeah, he Again, it was never mentioned again. I was a whole I was joking with you about keeping because there was never she Hey, what's the name of your band? You figure that would come up, but it didn't. And then we get Christi Yamaguchi Welcome a celebrity cameo. She's performing in coaching Pamela with coach Natasha watching on the still purple paint dows. Caitlyn can't believe her eyes. Christyamagucci is right there, but she's bummed. Mean girl Pamela is getting tutored by her hero. Natasha says it's because Caitlyn was late. This type of behavior can't happen. Caitlyn didn't even have a choice to tell her the real story. She leaves the ice with the coach telling her she blew it and I just wanted her to be like, she locked me in a thing and dumped paint on me, and you're gonna hold it against ah.
Speaker 3: I wish that added in that Pamela ratted her out that she went to this party instead of going like I wish it would have been a little bit bigger of a deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree it was. It was like, all right, Scott bamboozle, but.
Speaker 1: Dam I love pambo You can say the main you're gonna pam the what you won't say it. Eventually, Caitlyn gets to sit down with her idle, Christy Yamaguchi. Christie says Natasha is one of the best coaches out there and even if today went poorly, she believes in Kitln. Kitlyn needs to decide if she's willing to go the distance and maybe next time she can skate with the Yamagooch. Then we get a montage Caitlyn getting a whopping D plus which isn't that bad on a quiz she didn't know about, and then gets slammed bad.
Speaker 2: It's horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, de plus, come on, you're you're, you're, you're working on you got.
Speaker 2: You're almost average.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Thank you very much. That's how I looked at it. I looked at it this way. Without people like me, the top half of the class wouldn't have existed. Yeah, that's exactly how I looked at it. She didn't know about the quiz. She gets slammed on the hockey rink. Ronnie hazes her, and then Caitlyn takes a bus home while still wearing her hockey pads and uniform. She calls Bob and Ginger, who are willing to take her back to trainer for the next junior championship, but Caitlyn knows exactly where she should be, and that's with the Russian competing to be the best of the best. Back at her family's house, she's crying with her parents when her brother walks by. Thrilled to see her in pain, he tells his dad to pay up. Yep, the little brother bet on her to quit and come back home. Yes, she wouldn't make it, and with that, I think we can have Bradley and to the top three for worst dcom little brothers ever, would you not agree.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, her parents are falling, falling right into our other category, yeah parents in dcom's as well.
Speaker 1: This was yeah, this was not And even her mom admits she saw this coming.
Speaker 2: Yes, so rude.
Speaker 1: Her mom admits she saw this coming.
Speaker 2: Oh so rude.
Speaker 1: Who is this family?
Speaker 4: Who is his family?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Rightfully? Of course, Caitlyn runs away, sobbing into a room and dramatically falls where her bed would be, only to find it's been replaced by pillows and boxes. Her mom enters and Kaitlyn is so mad. Her mom moved moved her bed to the garage because she needed the room. She's been gone for like a week, and her mom clears out her bedroom.
Speaker 3: She dove into that set of boxes and billows so hard.
Speaker 1: Right, But that's but this is part of the problem I had with this movie is what is this movie? Because we go from this drama to where it's also her parents throw all of her stuff out of her bedroom. But then it's like a funny kind of Yeah, she writes junk on her moving boxes. It's her plushy and it's I couldn't tell because the tone keeps shifting. Is it comedy, is it drama? What is this movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know this mom is harsh. I during this moment, love love.
Speaker 1: I've said this many times. Sports movies like this are my favorite thing in the world. I've read Cutting Edge, all these kind of the step up movies, anything like this, these movies, Johnny'sunami, these movies I'm in. I love mode. I love this thing. This one did not know what it was. It just the tone was everywhere. Caitlyn grabs her box to cry and run outside, still hear in a hockey jersey and pads by the way. She stops by a nearby park bench and appears to be freezing as we can see the actress's breath. She takes inventory of her plus she's happy to see each one, but under the stuffed animal, she finds a picture frame in a bunch of metals, all from her mom's figure skating career, and just then her mom walks up. Her mom and Mitch she was also a toal girl, and she was actually really good, but had weak ankles and then motherhood stopped her progress. She admits she'd been scared for her and a little jealous. She apologizes and said she was only trying to protect her from disappointment. So this is where they tried to save it, where it's like, this is almost why I've been acting like this towards you. But then she never would have put her into figure skating. And when you start that young, someone puts you into figure skating exactly exactly. Yeah, it was didn't add up, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: And you're telling me, I mean, I just don't believe.
Speaker 3: It's not like you have to know everything about your parents' past, but I don't believe it never comes up about something like that. I mean, if she's talking about motherhood being a big reason why she stopped this, lady, did you're skating until.
Speaker 1: She was what in her mid twenties at least?
Speaker 3: Yeah, mid twenties, right, Okay, you seriously went to grandma's house and grandma didn't have one figure skating or metal up or.
Speaker 1: Anything, and you, now by this point have been yeah, and you've by this point you've been skating too, and it never comes up broad check five.
Speaker 3: I am really just count down the minutes like absolute garbage.
Speaker 2: I cannot handle this any longer.
Speaker 1: Oh, Sabrina, checking out on a d com might be my new favorite thing ever. By the way, yes, this.
Speaker 2: Is because it doesn't happen very much.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. It doesn't. It takes a lot, but this one was just This one was a lot of it is just the writing. It's it needed a polish from beginning to end of what is this movie? Who are these characters? What are they trying to do? What are they getting? It was, Yeah, it was all over the place. Anyway, Caitlyn stands up. She knows her parents didn't raise a quitter, and because of hockey, she has stronger ankles than her mom. She's going back to boarding school to quote unquote kick some ice back in the house. Coaches Bob and Ginger arrived just as Kaitlyn is saying goodbye to her family. Bob and Ginger realize what's happening, and once again they wish her all the luck in the world. These are wonderful, understanding coaches and people. Yes, she needs more. She should have left with these people back in the day.
Speaker 3: Been like these feel like grandparents to her in a sense, like they are the sweetest couple to her, so forgiving and so sweet, so wonderful. Great.
Speaker 1: But in that first scene where she says, Hey, I want to go, I've got a chance to train with one of the best people in the world, and her father's just trying to shoot her out of the way of standing in front of the game. I was like, really, this is the guy.
Speaker 2: No I'm talking about. I've talked about the the coaches.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm saying Bob and Ginger are awesome, saying her parents are terrible. The dad was like shoeing her out of the way while she should have lived with Bob and Ginger. Yes, she's still in uniform and pads though. When Caitlyn hugs everyone and says goodbye, as Bradley pays his dad the twenty dollars he now ows, and they just keep betting on this girl's miserable life failures. Back in the locker room, the girls are entering for practice and are shocked to see Kaitlyn ready to go. We get another montage with scenes from the hockey practice. The team's looking great, and more importantly, Caitlyn is right in line. She's then at the library carrying around a ton of books and of course that a cinematic code for studying and getting smarter. She is even starting to understand geometry. Her stunt double is competing in the regional figure skating championships because we know it's not her, and she wins, much to a slow clapping Natasha's delight. Pamela continues to be an insecure hater. Then we're back in the hockey team. Caitlyn is still checked left and right, but she's getting right back up. Spencer also sees her endlessly studying in the library and smiles. He's developing a bit of a crush on this girl who's way younger than him, which feels like a real boarding school administration issue since he's also a coach on the team. The montage ends, and in Coach Reynolds's office, we see Natasha giving him an earfoll. She's demanding to keep Kaitlyn off the ice, which Spencer then overhears. Concurrently, Caitlyn is getting ready for a game with a ton of glitter on her face. Spencer enters and offers to help with taping up the skate stuff and flirts with her quite a bit. We cut two fifteen minutes left in the game and the Eagles are down one. Coach will not put in Caitlyn, even though Mojo got injured. He says he knows what's best of the team. Spencer doesn't get why they're keeping their secret weapon on the bench. Spencer tells coach, we need her more than you need your little Russian friend. Wow. And this, people is the reaction, you know, that's it, you know, quite a reaction anyway. Spencer alludes that he'll tell the others if he doesn't put her in always room for blackmail, and just like that, she's on the ice on a breakaway. Ronnie won't pass to Kaitlyn even though she's open, but Hollywood picks up the loose puck and scores herself. It is tied at too after the goal. Caitlyn is hammered on the next play but wants to stay in. They're only two minutes left and she's wearing her lucky color. Even Ronnie seems impressed with the toughness. Back on the ice, Caitlyn is using her brother's geometry to decide where to shoot, and she's tripped up on the opponent's stick. A penalty is called, but Kitlyn isn't done with this. She approaches the player who tripped her and tries to start a good old fashioned hockey fight, but the other girl quickly backs down. It's revealed that her teammates were right behind her for intimidation, but they were all very impressed, even Ronnie. With the game tied to two, we have five seconds left, Ronnie scores on a Kitlyn assist. It's their first win in three years. Wow, that happened very quickly. I hope he didn't blink and miss the goal. Now the team is celebrating at a party and Caitlyn is invited. It is a pretty cool party and the DJ's wearing a spacesuit. Ronnie hands the astronaut DJSCD to play and it gets the partier even hypier. Caitlyn is excited to finally have friends, which is odd, not just competition. She's even chumming it up with Ronnie and likes the music she brought. How do I know that this is the incredible exchange that happened at the party. This music is hip hop. I was gonna say, fat, this music is hip hop. I was going to say fat.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 1: Back at Caitlyn's house, her dad and brother are still working on the Fighting Robot. Do you remember Fighting Robot? Remember when we mentioned that briefly, yes, two hours ago? Remember that bet you forgot. Well, it looks like they have a killer robot now in their hands. We're now back at school. Ronnie and the hockey team are excited for the rest of the season, but Caitlyn has an idea so they can get even better. It's ballot, Yes, that's that's pronounced. No, it's ballet people, it's ballet exercises something.
Speaker 2: You know, if you could call those ballet exercises.
Speaker 1: Was she not doing a plea?
Speaker 3: Uh not really, it was the could have easily done more.
Speaker 1: I mean you did ballet obviously, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: There's not all.
Speaker 3: There's there's way, I mean, non ballet people can do it. There's like a commercial out right now that has a ton of ballet people with people that don't do ballet.
Speaker 2: They could have done it. I ballet did not do enough of that.
Speaker 1: I didn't do ballet, but I was raised going to ballet. I went to the ballet every year. I loved ballet, really really, Yes to God, every year I go to the ballet.
Speaker 2: You could pay me to wonderful Nutcracker again, you.
Speaker 1: Couldn't, really, Oh, I love oh Man. I saw the Russian company doing Romeo and Juliet and Santa Barbara with Bill Daniels. Oh, it was phenomenal. They do these fights to ballet. It was incredible.
Speaker 3: Could I was a part of the Nutcracker too many times to ever go see?
Speaker 1: Oh every year? Loved it. A little little something more you learn about me. It's ballet, Like we talked about something she knows from figure skating, a sport. She's slowly trying to get the teammates to understand. This is where we get another monta of a slew of eagles wins. They are on a roll. We see Spencer walking with Caitlin and we're watching a relationship blossom right in front of our eyes. Here it's four pm and she has to leave now. She thinks she can't tell Spencer why, but he reveals he knows all about the figure skating club. At first he wanted her just to fail, but then wanted to see how long she could keep up the pace. Then he just wanted to keep seeing her and have her not quit the team. Very sweet. You can see why he went on to have kind of a big career. He's charming and you know he definitely you know, he gives all the right feels all the right vibes for the leading dcom guy. Totally see why he took off and became some absolutely so he helps her get to practice, and when she arrives, she sees Shelby, the former champ, getting reamed by Natasha. Caitlin follows a crying Shelby to the bathroom, where she thinks Shelby is doing steroids but she's just a diabetic. When all of a sudden, the needle drops underneath the door.
Speaker 3: I was like like watching through my fingers.
Speaker 2: I could I Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 3: The needles a needle dack that it even alluded to that on a DCM shocked the hell out of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it wasn't it at all.
Speaker 3: They quickly say, no, she's diabetic. But the way it dropped on the floor, I mean it definitely looked like some shit was going down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd never think you'd see, but there you go.
Speaker 2: Shocked me to the core. Yeah, to the core.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Caitlin offers to take her to yogurt and they quickly become best pals. But the pressure being seventeen and winning a medal is getting to Shelby, and that I also know is completely and totally real when it comes to that world where it's like I I think when I was dating my girlfriend, she was like we were like twenty one, twenty two something like that, and it was that same thing where she's like, I'm the clock sticken, I've got I have like a year. You know, there are very very few twenty nine year old skating champions. Like it doesn't really happen. So she's like, all right, clock's ticket, it's real. We are now in hockey practice again. Caitlyn is trying to teach the team about her brother's geometry on ice, and coach Reynolds even says, you go girl. But he's not getting anything from the coaches. But he's also not getting anything from the teammates. And it also seems like he's not getting anything from Natasha anymore because we haven't seen her mad or anything the whole thing. Who knows. I don't even want to think.
Speaker 2: I can't think he get this point. They're already done, I.
Speaker 1: Think, so took. We're now in another hockey game. The Eagles keep winning now using the geometry and ballet to get past the semi semi finals. The championships are next on the nineteenth. Uh oh, that's the same day as a senior Nationals for figure skating. She knows this because she has a huge calendar printed out with the date on it. Caitlyn visits Natasha to tell her all about the dilemma. Natasha says, these nationals are an entry to the Olympics and she can't miss them, even if she thinks she owes something to her new friends. This is her shot, This is her moment, the decision that will define her for the rest, for life and fair it's for the Olympics, right right, I mean, you win the national championship in figure skating, you've got a shot at making the Olympic team.
Speaker 3: I know. I just think, with the exception of Christy Yamaguchi, the level of ice skating we've seen, I am now adding another check that does not follow that they are at the level of Olympic qualifying competition.
Speaker 1: In all fairness, Caitlyn might not be Her stunt double could be. We don't know her stunt doubles pretty ind no, no, no, but now, of course, weighed down by pressure, Caitlyn takes to the ice to figure skate. Spencer shows up. He knew he'd find her there. He asked what she's gonna do. He thinks the choice is obvious, which it is. She should figure skate, which she should. She is a natural, but Caitlyn is not convinced. She loves hockey. Now, okay, then come back to the team next year. She calls her mom for if I sit on the bench and clap along, and you know, put you your teammate out there. They they're fine without you. I promise, Caitlin, go figure skate. She calls her mom for advice, catching her while she's adding items to her new internet garage sale site, and we think, now it's official. Her mom did, in fact, invent eBay, So none of this matters at the end of the day because they're billionaires. Caitlyn's mom tells her to do what she feels. She wants her to ask herself, what will make you a better woman? Then, while perusing her well revolutionary eBay site, Caitlyn finds her mom's figure skating dress for sale and buys it. She ships it to the janitor to keep the identity secret. Back at the Kingsford House, Bob and Ginger arrive excited for Saturday's big figure skating event, but they learn Saturday might actually just be a hockey game. Because of scheduling, Caitlyn can't do both. Bradley, again, the worst brother in the history of the world, is happy to see his sister still struggling, but no one is one hundred percent sure what she'll actually do. Bradley takes off for his room and his mom follows. She wants to know what's going on with him. Why is he being such a dick. He says he's focused on his robot, but it's obvious he's jealous that Katelyn is playing hockey and took away his spotlight. He admits he quit because he thinks he should have been the one to get the scholarship, but his mom explains Caitlyn's team is using his plays. His sister's been calling to thank him, but he isn't returning her calls. And all this emotional dialogue is said with a Solar System poster behind the mom that loudly spells out uranus. It does giant, giant uranus right behind them. Make of that what you will. Their mom says there's room for two hockey players in this family, and he says he'll think about calling Caitlyn that night in the secret closet. She's surprised by the janitor who walks in to give her a sandwich. Again. They're just passing big sandwiches back and forth and deliver her mom's figure skating dress. She knows whatever decision she makes is huge, and she doesn't know what to do. She eeny meanie miny mos it between the hockey skates and the figure skates, but we don't see which one she lands on. Then the next thing we see, we are seeing the hockey team stretching and growling. It's the day of the big game against a team called the Terrytown Tigers, but there is no sign of Caitlyn on the other side of campus. Her family arrives at the figure skates Championships and she isn't there either. Natasha's worried, but that's when Caitlyn shows up at the hockey game. Spencer thinks she's making a huge mistake, which of course she is, but she says she's worked very hard for this and she's finally part of something bigger than just yourself. The teammates need her, and I get what they're going for. I get the whole Disney aspect of it. Friends, teammates, you don't let them down. I totally understand that. Great message, except when the other opportunity is your life. I mean again, we're again.
Speaker 2: We just talked about this, just talked about it. You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it is important for you to put your dreams and what you've worked for for your future.
Speaker 2: At the head front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and true friends are like, go, hell, yeah, I'm there for you. Go because you're this is your shot. Yes, did nobody listen to the eight mile soundtrack? You got one shot, one opportunity shot? Come on, mom spaghetti anyway. Yes. So the game starts and Caitlyn scores, so that's great, but then the Tigers go out quickly four to one out of nowhere. But Kitlyn is hyping up her team. There's no reason to give up. She even mentions Christy Yamaguchi into her in the pep talk. She tells her new friends this is their moment and even though they don't know her, they need to make Christy proud with that. They're back on the ice and they make it four two, all while Bradley is trying to call his sister's cell phone hilariously her cell phone is on the bench, you know, like how hockey players leave their phones on the bench during the game. But still she's playing. So Spencer, in a move that's probably not so cool, picks up her phone and answers it. Bradley tells him the figure skating competition will be delayed. Just trust him. Get Caitlyn to the championship as soon as hockey is finished. Then Bradley on Lee, which also you figure the parents are saying at the beginning, it might be hockey, might be, might be figure skating. If she doesn't show up at figure skating, don't they know she's at the hockey game. Wouldn't they get and then go to her hockey game, you would think, But no, the nope, they just sit there exactly. They category her mom started eBay or dad's thinking the game and her friends doing heroin. Oh no, that's right, she's a Then Bradley does what Bradley does best. He unleashes his robot onto the ice, causing mass hysteria and a stop in the competition. We're now back at the game. It's five to four eagles, down one and the clock is ticking one final shot, and it's why the Terrytown Tigers have beaten our Eagles, but her teammates are still very excited. They really are. They almost won and they'll get them next year. But while dealing with the loss, Spencer hurris Caitlin he needs to get her to the figure skating program, so they lost the hockey game, but she's on her way. We see the competition where everything is now under control thanks to a zamboni that absolutely crushed Bradley's robot. This was after the robot had some high jinks and or shenanigans and or goings on. On the car ride there, Spencer breaks some bad news to Kaitlin. Someone trashed her figure skating outfit, and Caitlyn knows Pamela did it, but he did find a package on her desk, the one with her mom's outfit. It is perfect. But more bad news, she doesn't have her figure skates, so she'll need to perform in hockey skates. The program resumes and it's Shelby's term, but when it comes down to the wire, the former champ Shelby walks away love that says, no, there's more to me than figure skating. Natasha is of course furious, but Shelby realizes, like I just said, there's more to life than figure skating. She leaves the pressure behind, ditching the sport that wants to find her very nice. Might be the smartest person in the entire movie. But now it's Caitlyn's turn. She's somehow convinced Natasha to let her compete in hockey skates. She knows she can do it, but guess what she can't. She falls immediately. She has bricked it. She's ready to walk off defeated, but then she sees her entire hockey team there. They're all there, and Ronnie is holding her figure skates. Natasa says she'll go convince the judges to let her restart. How will you do that? Pamela hears this and isn't having it. She sprints to the judges, but Mojo spills some marbles, tripping her and bringing her to the ground. Everyone laughs at her, even Spencer, But amongst the laughs, the judges have decided she can't actually start over. It's over. Even Natasha promising what I have to imagine is sex to all the judges could not save the day. That ends today's competition. So she's a loser on both courts excellent. Caitlyn says it's okay, she'll get him next year, but Ronnie isn't having it. She starts a chant let her skate, Let her skate, and it grows and grows until everyone in the arena is yelling it. Eventually, the judges give in and Caitlyn Kingsford gets a second chance. The crowd goes wild, even her awful, awful, awful little brother. Caitlyn retakes the ice and her body double begins the routine to classical music. Everyone watches on with baited breath, hanging on every trick. Eventually, the music switches up to a more hip hop boss and nova beat, and the tricks keep coming. Eventually, the Body Double closes it out and we see Jordan Hinson's face in a really weird cut. Very happy with her performance, her hockey team storms the ice and the audience throws roses. She receives an almost perfect score, forcing Pamela to yell dork again from the wings and getting Caitlin onto the Olympic Trials team. Spencer hands are a huge bouquet. While our hockey team raises her about their shoulders. They circle around her and that is our movie. Oh, Sabrina, I haven't even heard you speak in twenty minutes. I think you have so checked out. You were so checked out in this movie. You've checked out on the podcast.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: First of all, I want to say, I enjoyed your recap and how intense that was, more than when I actually watched this high action game that was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the game, honestly did.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed the recap more than when I was actually watching it. So thank you for lifting that up for me.
Speaker 2: Will I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate that. But let's let's get into real reviews right now, Sabrina, if we can, and this week I have the five star review, thank god, and here we go. Yeah, right, thank god, I've got it. You're not No, it's not being mean. It's some movies just aren't good. It's okay to not have a good movie every once in a while, but they can't all be bangers. It's just the way it is. First of all, for somebody who I think, if you go in and look me up, I star in two of the top five lowest grossing movies in history. So this is me talking. Okay, you can be in bad movies. It happens all the time. So here we go. This is a five star review from Aiden m and it's I love this movie. I name my first board child after the main character. But also that marriage failed. It's okay, she cheated. Lol. Anyways, I love this movie. Please dear God, Disney, make a sequel or I will kill myself.
Speaker 2: Holy moly, you don't well get married for.
Speaker 1: A second aid because they never made a sequel. Come on, Aiden, it's fine, and now you have the one star.
Speaker 2: It is short and to the point and fair.
Speaker 3: My one star is bymed our favorite, our favorite named unnamed.
Speaker 2: I hated her smile, very boring.
Speaker 1: And that's it, and that's how amazing.
Speaker 2: I didn't hate her smile. Very boring was the part that I was saying.
Speaker 1: It was. It was. It was just it wasn't boring. It just it didn't. This was a movie that had a ton of potential, perfect dcom set up hockey or figure skating, private school, you gotta do both both sides. Think you're a dork. I mean, it couldn't have been set up any better. But this was a movie where you just and maybe you don't see this when you're younger, but as an older person in the entertainment industry, it just needed to rewrite. We are seeing movies that do that have this concept, that are written very well, that the acting is great, that we love, and it's okay that occasionally some of them you just go, oh man, this needed a polish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We are to Sabrina's favorite part of the program right now, of course, which is our feature presentation, where we're going to play a game as we play every week, and it's the return of one of our favorites. I am cautiously optimistic this week. I have not looked at the questions. I have not done anything, but again, I know a little bit about this world. So with this game, it is the return of hang four. It's a game we commonly play when we're dealing with a sport d com. We even already did hockey for the movie Genius. As a reminder, we're going to get four terms, but this time the words will be associated with figure skating and we have to guess what they stand for. From a list of multiple choice options. Two out of four wins. Here we go.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 3: His standards gone down. It used to be like three out of the four.
Speaker 1: You just read the question one. If you pronounce everything right, it's honorable mention.
Speaker 4: You tell your name right, you get five hundred SAT points.
Speaker 1: Exactly, which is weird because I got a four forty on my SATs. Okay, here we go. Number one, Salcow, is it A? A high end skate blade invented by architect David Salkow, top of the line for competitive figure skaters. B a skating technique of spelling out your name and curves on the ice while performing a series of spins. See a jump starting from back outside edge of the opposite foot, or D a dog food company owned by ice skating judge Sal Suponius. Okay, Salchow, Oh gotcha?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'm gonna go with A.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go with A. Okay. So Sabrina has already gotten one wrong because the answer is C. It is a jump starting from the back inside edge and landing on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. Am I right? Jensen?
Speaker 4: You are right, But I'm proud of my A.
Speaker 1: Is great? Very Your A is a specific lie. It's kind of awesome, detailed lie, all right. Number two toe loop? Is it A and almost never ending spin where the skater holds his or her toe for building momentum. B A toe assisted jump where the skater takes off and lands on the same back edge of the skate. See the sharpening tool for an ice skates teeth like ridge at the front of the blade. Or D when a skater lands in their head and says the word toe over and over again in delirium.
Speaker 2: I'm going with A again.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is actually B. A toe assisted jump where the skater takes off and lands on the same back edge of the skate.
Speaker 4: Will is correct, It is B. It is B.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, now we've got number three. By the way, I just won for the record. But yeah, well you won last You killed it at the one last week, so I had to.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, you know, a broken clock is right twice a day.
Speaker 1: Now we do. The Katerina rule is it A A rule requiring female figure skaters to wear more modest clothing. B A rule stating skaters must wait a set amount of time when changing the country they represent international competition. See A rule banning the act of lifting your partner into an upside down split post. Or D A make a wish rule created by a six fourth grader named Katerina, where ice skaters have to wave hello to her through the camera for any televised competition.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'm gonna go see I.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm believing this is based on Katerinavitt, who did was not a double. She skated single. So my guess is it's going to be it's either A or B. But I think it's going to be because she was German. But I think then wanted to skate for the US. I think it's changing company, changing your country to represent an international competition.
Speaker 4: No, it was A because it is a you had like a woman's body, and so they were weirded out that she wore like a.
Speaker 1: Stunning Katerinavitt was stunning.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Okay, she were used to like skinny girls and she was, you know, she was more voluptuous.
Speaker 1: But but hey, great fake second one.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Also, just so you know, this rule was repealed in two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: It was okay, yeah, Cannery de Vett was oh marvelous and number four. Kiss and Cry is this the nickname given to the mom and dad of a young competitor b The area next to the rink at competitions. Where skaters wait for their results. See a difficult and very intimate hand to hand lift for partners, where the skater's face get very close to kissing if a mistake is made or D two obscure Dwarves snow White didn't meeting with C. I'm so sorry, but it is actually the area next to the rink of competitions where skaters wait for the results. It's called the kiss and Cry booth.
Speaker 4: So thrilled that she went O for four. Really, the earth feels back in motion, everything feels right again. But Will Will was correct with B.
Speaker 1: It is. It's literally called it's called the either the kiss and Cry booth or the grip and grin booth. They're both. They're both called Yeah because you because you kids, kid. You walk into the booth and then you kiss everybody that you're supposed to kiss while holding the things, and then you sit there and look up at your results and you start to cry, whether they're good or bad. It's called the kiss and Cry booth. Yeah. Yes, I do know so much about figure skating, but I don't know much about what you can see. So can we do some Sabrina ceas please?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, we already went through so much it irked me. And I feel like Christy amagucci Bean in this movie was such a huge win for Disney Channel. In my opinion, I think that she is just like a world icon. Yeah, she's amazing from what she's done. And I was shocked throughout the movie how much they kind of dissed her, like didn't know who she was. If they did oh perfect dark board, like all of that, if that was a cameo that I went and did for a movie.
Speaker 1: And then I like watched the.
Speaker 3: Movie after and it was like, the hell, why did I do? And I love her, so I you know, feel like I had to stick up for her. I thought you were going to bring up that one ev was our together song of or together word of the last movie where you could have made like a gay because they say.
Speaker 2: Whatev a million times in this movie. Uh the penalty. You didn't mention this either.
Speaker 3: These are things and I'm like, I'm gonna write it down, but Will's gonna bring it up.
Speaker 2: That was the weakest hit.
Speaker 3: Oh that girl that hey, and she turned her around. She I feel like she didn't even feel it.
Speaker 1: She just like.
Speaker 3: Hey, I mean she could have given her a good shove. You're you're saying that you need to you need to fight on the rink. Let's get something.
Speaker 2: If you're not. That drove me crazy.
Speaker 3: And then now that I know clearly you are a professional, you're skating book of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Is twirl girl a real thing?
Speaker 1: I have no idea?
Speaker 2: Okay, this was made up for the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea. I also want to know because I never saw Ice Princesses. Does Ice Princesses have like a Christi Yamaguchi level ice skater in it? That come.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the movie. I only remember Hayden in it. That's all I remember about the movie and it being about figure skating.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, But it was funny.
Speaker 3: I wrote it like I put stars next to it while we were going through it, because you and I both had a hard time saying twirl girl like throughout this podcast, and it looked like the actors throughout the movie stumbled on that word, and I was doing it a couple of times. It was a hard word for them to also do in the movie. So I did notice that already. And then as we're doing the podcast, you and I are both like, so that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it for today. Holy No, there's one more. Also, this is more about the hockey.
Speaker 3: Do you have any idea why in the main game at the end, why they would be laying on their stomachs at the center line of the hockey ring, growling at I.
Speaker 1: Think I think they tried to show that they were all stretching, but I don't think you stretch on the ice in front of each other like growling at each other. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why would they be doing that. That was such an awkward and it looked awkward for every single.
Speaker 1: One of those hours. It did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did not like it at all. They some of them looked like they were having a hard time not laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was weird. It was. By the way, we just got word Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano were in Ice Princess. So yes, they did have some big names.
Speaker 2: Some giant names.
Speaker 1: Okay, And now, of course we come to the portion of our program where we're going to rate the film that we have just reviewed. One being the worst, ten being the best. Yes, of course, one out of ten, and our options for this week are one out of ten. Lynnwood, California, Russians one out of ten, Extreme mouth close ups Sabrina's favorite one out of ten, Hawaiian punches or blood one out of ten, Russian prostitution for favors one out of ten, Internet garage sales one out of ten. Bus rides wearing full hockey pads one out of ten, spacesuit DJs one out of ten, Uranus posters or one out of ten. Terrytown Tigers. I think you picked the last one. You picked this, so I'm gonna pick extreme mouth close ups because we need it. I also think, oh, no, I did the last one I did went first. Last time you did, go for High School Musical two. So I'm gonna let you set the pace here, Sabrina, What do you got for us? Where did you think?
Speaker 2: We shocked? Just here that they gave this a ten out of a ten?
Speaker 1: What closeups?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I again, I struggled with this movie. I feel kind of bad because again, I do think it probably had to deal with get to watch High School Musical two for a second time, you know, I mean that was such a great movie. Than to do this was frustrating for me because I really struggled to get through.
Speaker 2: The whole movie.
Speaker 3: And I don't really ever have a hard time with them, so it's hard for me to push through when it's that bad.
Speaker 1: And wait before you, before you rate. I think we should tell our listeners out there something. We very rarely do these back to back, and these are we did this literally we did High School Musical on like a Tuesday and Go Figure on a Wednesday. So when we say we watch these back back to back, it's literally back to back. Yes, yes, so that makes a difference. I think it.
Speaker 2: Does make a difference.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you know there it is really comparing apples to oranges when they're these two different movies. However, it was just kind of confusing, and it wasn't an easy watch. I just did not enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed ninety five percent of these other movies that we've watched. So unfortunately, today I'm gonna give it a four extreme mouth close ups.
Speaker 1: Wow, that lowest rated one yet it is.
Speaker 3: It's my least favorite that we've watched, even the funny just ridiculous ones. Had me had a better place out the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: That I don't think you gave poof point four.
Speaker 2: I might have done four point five. I need to write them down. I need to go back.
Speaker 1: We have to. We got to get some kind of a list of what we scored. But I I agree with you one. I'm gonna be giving it the same. I'm gonna be giving it four extreme mouth close ups. This movie needed to rewrite. It just that's what it comes down to. Sometimes it's the acting, Sometimes it's the music. Sometimes it's the writing. Sometimes this was the writing. The script needed to polish it. The tone changed all the time. It didn't know what it was. The parents changed from scene to scene. Who we were rooting for kind of change from scene to scene. I I didn't see much of an arc with the character. It was just it needed to rewrite. That's just the shows the importance. It all starts on the page, and this was not strong on the page. It just really wasn't. So that's where we are. Well, thank you everybody so much for joining us as we tried to kick some ice this week for go figure again. Yeah, we don't want to we're not trying to bash anything, but we also you can't expect every movie to be a banger and that we're gonna love everyone. That's just not how the world works. Some things are gonna hit us in some by the way, we also there's a rule, not a rule, but something we say on Podmet's world, which is true, which is every single episode we watch is somebody's favorite. So there's somebody out there to where Go Figure is their favorite dcom they've ever seen, and they're not wrong if you like it, And it's all a matter of taste to us. This wasn't our thing. But yeah, so our next movie, let's let's hope for us anyway, for our sake, our next movie will be twenty sixteen's The Swap, a movie that first aired as part of the network's Monstober Halloween event. So yeah, please join us for that. Remember to subscribe to our feed because we've had an entire year basically of incredible one on one interviews with some of our favorite DCM stars. So just go search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe and follow along, and you can follow us at Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram machine by everybody