Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Hey, Bestie's it is Wellness Wednesday, and today we're joined by New York Times bestselling author, entrepreneur, and founder of IT Cosmetics, Jamie Kern Lima, in other words, Everyone's favorite it girl. She's here to tell us how she built it all, which no she was most thankful for, and how she learned the true meaning of self worth. It's Wednesday, July third.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Boyce, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: It's July, fam and you know what that means. It is time to announce this month's pick for Reese's Book Club. So last month, you know, we spoke to Ali Condy, she's the author of The Unwedding and the June pick for Ese's Book Club. It was such a fun conversation, so if you haven't checked it out, go back and listen.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed that interview, and honestly, all of our conversations with Reese's book Club picks are my favorites. So I'm super excited to announce July's RBC pick.
Speaker 1: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: It is The Cliffs by Jay Courtney Sullivan. Simone, We're really looking forward to reading this one.
Speaker 2: I know I already got my copy. I cannot wait to dive in.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: J Courtney Sullivan is the New York Times bestselling author of novels like Commencement, Maine, and Friends with Strangers, and she's known for creating these multi threaded narratives. Ooh, I just like the sound of that, Danielle.
Speaker 3: The titles are intriguing, and her latest book, The Cliffs, follows Jane Flanagan, who, as a teenager discovers an abandoned Victorian house that immediately piques her interest, and as the years go on, the mysterious home becomes a hideaway, a place where she can go to escape her volatile mother. So decades later, Jane gets hired to research the history of the home and uncover the past lives of people who lived there, and she soon discovers stories of romantic longing, lovers lost at sea, the long shadow of colonialism, and so much more.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is such a mysterious generational tale, and actually it was inspired by Jane's own encounter with this abandoned house she used to see on her summer vacations in Maine. Ooh, it sounds creepy and curious all at once.
Speaker 3: I love when authors write fictional stories but take pieces of their own lives and get inspired by them.
Speaker 1: This one's no exception.
Speaker 3: So we'll be talking with Jay Courtney later this month, and if you have a question for her, be sure to send us your thoughts at Hello at the Brightside podcast dot com. Because if you've listened to our past interviews with authors, our favorite parts of those interviews are your questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, we can't wait to hear your questions, but first we've got a really great show for you today, right, Danielle. I mean, we always have good ones, but today is extra special because we're both such huge fans of Jamie Kern Lima.
Speaker 1: She is the itck girl. How could we not be fans of hers.
Speaker 4: And for Annie.
Speaker 2: Some one out there who might not know who Jamie Kern Lima is, you probably know her makeup brand, IT Cosmetics. It sold its stores all over the country. I mean, I know so many women personally who love her Bebie and c C Creams in particular. One of our producers was just telling us it's the only thing she wears. And then before she started IT Cosmetics, she had past lives as a local news anchor missus Washington, USA, even a contestant on the first season of Big Brother. She also has an MBA, which of course has helped her quite a bit, and she's written two best selling books and has a new podcast out.
Speaker 3: I'm exhausted just listening to her resume, but you are right. The Jamie Kern Lima shows out and her first guest was Oprah Winfrey. So aside from the gravity of that name, Oprah Winfrey, what makes it even a bit mystical is that Jamie watched Oprah every day as a little girl, and she actually inspired her career as a journalist before she moved into the beauty space. And then we all know the other part of the story because she co founded it Cosmetics in an effort to treat her rosetia and sold it to Lareel for one point two billion dollars.
Speaker 1: That's billion with a B.
Speaker 2: My broke little brain can't even comprehend that amount of money. I'm also just thinking about how broke I was as a reporter and how much makeup was a part of my day to day routine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and how much money we spent on makeup.
Speaker 2: Right, right, and to think that she was in that environment and had the grit and the determination to say, you know what, I'm going to create a solution for this problem that I'm experiencing and I know so many other women are experiencing. Like It's just incredible. It's such an incredible story, and that purchase that you just mentioned actually made Jamie the first female CEO in Loreel's one hundred year history. Impressive doesn't even begin to capture it. I read her book Worthy earlier this year when I was in a self worth spiral of my own, and I loved it so much that I gifted it to a friend. So that just tells you how impactful it is. It's all about battling self doubt, imposter syndrome, and the power of believing in yourself. So I can't wait to get some more context and all the wisdom and insight that she packed into every page of that book.
Speaker 3: Through all the highs and lows, Jamie has learned a ton about battling self doubt and the power of believing in yourself, and I can't wait for her to share some of those gems with us.
Speaker 2: That's after the break, stay with us Welcome to the bright Side, Jamie.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I am so excited to be here.
Speaker 5: It's going to be an incredible episode and I'm fired at thank you for having me woo.
Speaker 1: I'm usually not a wo girl, but I'm giving you a woo.
Speaker 5: Jamie.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 2: You are brightening up the bright Side for sure. You know, Wednesdays are usually dedicated to health and wellness here on the bright Side. And Danielle and I I wanted to have you on the show because you have been such an inspiration to both of us, as you have been so open about your journey overcoming self doubt and building an accumulating self worth. And before we really delve into how you learned those lessons, I want to start by rewinding just a bit, going back to your childhood in your early days. In your podcast, you said that watching Oprah tell other people's stories really inspired your entire career and made you feel less alone. How so tell us more about that.
Speaker 5: For Oprah to be the first guest is really like this full circle moment. You know, I grew up watching her in my living room every day, and I don't know if you guys never had an experience like this. There is this moment I was eight years old by the way, she was being interviewed by Barbara Walters, and I remember Oprah said to Barbara, I've always known I've had greatness inside of me, and I was destined for greatness. And I remember after she said that, she got, oh this backlash in the press. And I think it's because, like at the time, people were not used to a woman sort of like, you know, using her voice and actually proclaiming, declaring something great in her life and being so confident. But it remembers a little girl having this like whisper, like this kind of knowing. I was like, I feel that way too, and I thought what it meant was that one day I would grow up and like Oprah, you know, share other people's stories with the world and interview other people and like be of service. And then as I was growing up, you know, I always had that dream like I'm gonna meet her one day, but like I'm in the middle of a suburb of Washington State, I do not know no one, who knows no one, But I just had this whisper, this feeling like well, then as I grew up is when so many of us can relate to this. I started learning and believing all these lies that lead to self doubt, like who I am is not enough. I need to please everyone else to be loved. If I achieve.
Speaker 4: Enough, then I'll finally feel enough.
Speaker 5: I need to wait on my weight to put on a swimsuit or to tell the person I want to be more than just friends. I then spent sort of decades of my life just kind of believing that one lie, like, well, if I achieve enough, then I'll finally feel enough. Because I never quite felt enough. I did a lot of that, only to learn I would still arrive at that goal feeling like something's missing and like it's never enough. And so I don't know if you guys have had that experience where you, you know, think like, oh, one day, if this happens, then I'm gonna feel enough. Where a lot of people think like, oh, if I get my dream car, or I get you know, married and have kids, or I would get that certain promotion or that certain number in my bank account, then I'm going to finally like be made and feel enough. And for a lot of us, we get to that place after working really really hard, only to realize, you know, wherever you arrive at and still take you with you, which is basically your level of self worth with you and it I'll never feel fulfilling if you don't, deep down inside believe you're enough as you are independent of all that.
Speaker 3: I love the title of your book so much for that reason. I think it is everybody's life journey to find that worth. Yeah, I want to touch on the whispers that you mentioned a little bit. I actually learned about whispers for the first time in Oprah's books, So I love that that's where they came from for you too. And when you have the negative whispers, the ones that are telling you you can't do those things, how do you discern between the positive and the negative ones?
Speaker 5: That's such a great, great pathful question. And you know, the first thing that I'll say is, especially as girls and women, like the way that we're raised is actually not to trust ourselves.
Speaker 4: We're raised to kind.
Speaker 5: Of like please everyone else and kind of make decisions based on consensus. And you know, a lot of people like, how do you build a billion dollar business from your living room?
Speaker 4: With it cosmetics? Right?
Speaker 5: And when I look back, it's this question that you just asked, it's figuring out in big part, how do I actually turned down the volume on all the noise, on all the people saying no or saying it's never gonna work, or doubting you know that I have what it takes, and also turning down the volume on my own self doubt and then tune into that intuition and actually hear it. And I'll tell you both. For me, this is a lifelong journey. So here are some of the tools that I've applied that in case they someone needs to hear this today, because I truly believe, I believe this in every anti ib that your intuition is more powerful than anyone else's advice. I think the very first step is to number one, want to That's the very thing number one need to want to. But then really just starting to take some time getting still and just like turning down the volume on all the noise around you, put your phone in another room, even I it's for five minutes, but just starting to get still and just seeing what comes up for you and you can ask a question and see like, what does that answer feel like? And be patient, especially for people just starting to learn how to hear their own intuition. Because I think it's like a muscle you build over time. And for me, one of the greatest ways that I found to build it is you start to look back in your life, okay, and look back at moments when you had this gut feeling and maybe like you didn't trust it, and you listen to everyone else and you didn't trust it. You went with what everyone else said to you, and then think about those moments and then what happened after. And then similarly, think about a moment where everyone is telling me to do something, but you had that certain feeling and you decided to trust yourself, and then think about what happened after. And it's like, as we reflect on these moments in our lives, like our muscle of just knowing how to tune in and hear that voice starts to strengthen. Like so many of us have all dated the person where they're like, oh, my phone, that's why I disappeared for two days. You know, his phone did not break, you know, and maybe you're in love, so you're like, okay, you know, it's just like, but we've had all these moments, right.
Speaker 1: Jabe, I feel personally attacked.
Speaker 4: Ah, we had these rightly ball.
Speaker 5: And what's beautiful is that they're always happening for us because we could look back on her and be like, yep, I knew his phone did not break for the tenth time. We know. And the more we sort of like tune into those things, the stronger our muscle gets. And then this is the thing, guys, it's like taking that risk of being like, I am gonna trust myself. And here's the thing too, Danielle to answer, what if you trust yourself and it's a disaster, right, here's what I believe. So so when you mentioned the whispers, and in Oprah's books, she always talks about like we'll keep relearning the same lesson over and over and over until we finally get it. And as she puts it, sometimes it's a person just in a different set of pants, but like the same you again and again, we keep it trapping the same person or whatever. I think when you listen, when you trust your intuition and act on it, I don't believe that it ever leads you down the wrong path. I think you might not always get the outcome you want, But I believe when you trust yourself, it leads you either to the next right step in your life or the next right lesson that you're supposed to learn or relearn.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you about a moment where you really trusted yourself and it really paid off because you turned one of your personal pain points into purpose. I mean, you were struggling with Roseasha as a reporter and Jamie. I have this really embarrassing story that I have to share with you because I was struggling with acne at the time when I was working as a reporter in New York. So I had this major skin issue and I was on set. I was live every night, and one night my skin was really bad. I was having a really bad breakout and I heard one of the crew members say on a hot mic, Wow, she has really bad skin. And that moment really made me feel so insecure, and it was something that I had to kind of like work through while I was also being on the air. And I know that you've dealt with that too as someone who struggled with a skin condition. But tell me about that spark, that moment when this idea for it cosmetics really hit you. How did you how did your intuition speak to you in that moment?
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you for sharing that story. By the way I started, I was working as a television news anchor and actually not dis similar from your story.
Speaker 4: I was live on the air anchoring the news, and.
Speaker 5: I have hereditary resation and gets bright red and bumpy all over my cheeks, and you know, I'd gone to the dermatologists, try and everything under the sun, and nothing would work. And so one day I was anchoring the news, I was live, and I hear my earpiece there's something on your face. There's something on your face. You need to wipe it off. And I knew what it was, but I was like, oh, okay, and you can't talk back, right because you're like live on television.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay.
Speaker 5: So during the commercial break, I reached down and I got my compact and I tried to cover it and it would not cover. And that was the day where I started kind of spending my whole paycheck on you know, makeup and just trying to find something that would work. And tried all the drug store brands, the apartment store brands that pro makeup ARTI lines, literally nothing would work. I entered this whole season of self doubt in my life because I'd be live thinking like, am I going to get fired? Am I costing the station ratings? And I remember this whisper that I got this this whisper, like, you know, if you can't find anything that works for you, there's probably a whole lot of other people that maybe have given up on makeup too, Like what if you figure out how to create something, it probably help a whole lot of people if it works for you. And I had that whisper, but then really quickly my self doubt talk me right out of it, like, oh, but you have got no money, you know nothing about the beauty industry, you have no connections. And I sat in that place between like that knowing and then that self doubt. You know, I couldn't understand why are there are thousands of makeup companies and nothing, nothing works. It doesn't make any sense. And then I realized I've never seen a model with right red bumpy Roseasha saying like buy this product, and at the time it just wasn't being done. So all of a sudden I got this deep kind of why or this like premonition I guess where I thought, like what if I figured this out and create a great product? And like that really felt purposeful and it felt true in my gut and my intuition, And that was when I made the decision to quit my job, which I thought was my dream job, because I remember I thought it was going to be doing a talk show and all that stuff my whole life. But you guys, it was really hard for anyone who's like in the middle of something right now and not getting traction. Like from the moment I quit my job, poured every penny I had into it. It was over three years of working out of my living room and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of nos. Teetering on bankruptcy for years. QVC said no old tests before it, everyone said no, after no, after no. It came down to one moment. All of a sudden, this huge moment happened where I got one shot on KVC. It was live for ten minutes, and this was a moment because everything was on the line. We had to every penny went into getting this one shot, and if we didn't sell and hit their sales goal, we not only didn't come back, we'd have to take back all the inventory and not be paid for it. So we literally would have been bankrupt. The company would have been done. So everything was on this one moment. And I just remember I went to KVC a week before, like and I sat in this rental car in the parking lot all alone, every single day for a week, like praying, crying, because these experts were telling me, here's what you need to do. Put this type of model on air. You might have a chance of hitting your sales goal. But my gut was telling me, like that is not in alignment with my assignment. Like I know what I'm here to do, Like I know in my gut, I'm supposed to show my rosation. I'm supposed to show you know, real women, every shape and age and size, skin tone, skin challenge.
Speaker 4: Like me, I knew it.
Speaker 5: But it's so freaking hard to trust your gut when it feels like it has not been working. It feels like it must be wrong. It feels like no one else sees it. And I walked in the building in KVC to get our one big shot right, like we had ten minutes and that was it. I wore double spanks because uh, I didn't even care how I looked. I was sweating so much, and like, I don't get nervous for television at all.
Speaker 4: But I thought you.
Speaker 1: Just wanted some Sarah Blakely energy.
Speaker 5: Oh that's I love me some Sarah Blakely energy. That too, double Sarah Blakely. I'll take that every day of the week. I love her so much, you guys. I was sweating and I didn't want to sweat through my dress on National TV. And I knew, I'm like, I have to trust myself. I would rather trust myself, fall flat on my face fail go out of business than like sell a bunch of product and live the rest of my life like standing for nothing. And I remember the moment that I walked to the set and there was a host there who was She's amazing, and they had like five cameras and I knew that when the red light went on, we were going to be live to one hundred million homes and we were live. And I remember the moment my bright red before shot came up on National TV, and like, I remember walking over to all these women every age, like we had young women act me, you know, hyper pigmentation. I remember calling the beautiful and like meaning it with every ounce of my being and we were a few minutes in. I remember I remember this moment where I wasn't sure how we were doing, but I knew I wasn't cut yet.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: And then we got to like the one minute mark and the host says, the deep shades almost gone, the tan shades almost sold out. And then literally at the ten minute mark, this giant sold out sign came up across the screen. I started crying. On national television. They cut from me and go to like diston vacuum or something. My best friend was there as a model, by the way, for her hyper pigmentation. She's also my husband comes rushing through the double doors. I thought he's gonna hug me right, and I'm just like sobbing, and he's like.
Speaker 4: We're not going bankrupt.
Speaker 5: And I'm just like, oh, real women is spoken and we built the biggest beauty brand in kvc's history.
Speaker 2: For years.
Speaker 5: They said no, and you're not the right fit, as did everyone else. No one can tell you you are not the right fit. And somebody else says no is like, it is no indication that your dream is gonna work or not work. And when you learn to turn down the volume on all the no's and to your point, turn up the volume on your knowing like that to me, if I hadn't learned to do that and trust myself, like everything would be so different. You know, we built to over a thousand employees, right Lorial paid one point two billion dollars cash for the business, and we eventually turned every no into a yes, from Sophora and Ulti Beauty and all these incredible stores.
Speaker 3: I do I want to ask you about these nos because as much as I love hearing about your first big yes, you're so clear that you want people to understand the nos that you received and how you persevered through them. And when we interview amazing women on the show, it seems to be one of the through lines to be honest. And so our first episode was with Reese Witherspoon, and I asked her this question, and I really want to ask you the same one, which is which no are you most thankful for?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: I love that I wrote this whole chapter in my book Worthy called when you change your relationship with rejection, you change your entire life.
Speaker 4: One of the most beautiful nos.
Speaker 5: I ever got was one of the most painful, and it was when an investor who I thought was going to be my saving grace, we did so many meetings with him that came down to the final meeting, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, we're not going to go bankrupt.
Speaker 5: He's going to use his levers to get us into stores that are saying no. My husband and I flew up for the final meeting. His private EQUIT firm is renowned and amazing, and at the very end of this product development pitch, he says it's a no, We're going to pass on investing and IT Cosmetics. And when I asked him why, he got really quiet for a while, and then he says, do you want me to be really honest with you? And I was like, yes, please, and he just said, I just don't think women will buy a makeup from someone who looks like you, with your body and your weight.
Speaker 4: And I actually never feel anger toward him.
Speaker 5: I got this deep feeling in my gut when he said those words that said he's wrong, Like he's wrong, you got a whisper, yeah, And I remember, I mean I went and cried in my car. All the things it was like rejections God's protection. And I believe that I believe that that God will block our value from someone who's not assigned to our destiny for whoever needs to hear this day, who's had their heart broken, who's had a friend betray them, he's had someone pull out the rug from underneath them, who's applied for the job a bunch of times and didn't get it. When I get rejected, I will hear God saying to me, Oh, you weren't rejected, like I hid your fow you from them because they're not assigned to your destiny. So that particular investor that said that no. In the day that Loreal bought our company for one point two billion dollars cash, it was everywhere all over the press, the home beache of the Wall Street Journal, and that was the first time I heard from him in six years, and he said, uh, congratulations on the Loreal deal.
Speaker 4: I was wrong.
Speaker 5: And when he said that, uh, the first thing I thought to myself and I and what I wanted to say to him was like, big mistake, huge, huge, Like I can give you one point two billion reasons why it was a huge mistake, like the pretty woman moment in the store told you so you're right, Yeah, like big mistake. But I kept it classy. I was like, oh, thank you. You know that guy. But after im like injection is God's protection. Like I was so desperate, like nobody was leaving the brand at the time, and I probably would have given him the majority of the company for like nothing. I would have just been trying to.
Speaker 4: Stay a lot.
Speaker 1: It would have been the wrong deal.
Speaker 4: It would have been the wrong deal. And by the way, he probably would have told me to lose weight.
Speaker 5: Who knows what would have happened to throw me off my authenticity, you know what I'm saying. And so it's like, thank God. So that's my answer to you. That was one of my biggest blessings. And I find every no is a blessing. We just don't feel it at the time. So just like having the faith that it is that you know, rejections God's protection and for some people, rejections the Universe's protection. Having that knowing helps us becoming more fearless and go for things and not doubt ourselves out of our own destiny.
Speaker 1: Rejection is God or the Universe's protection.
Speaker 3: That rings so true, and it's something I only fully understood once I hit up against a bunch of no's, And so I love what you said, Jamie. Every no really is a blessing. We have to take a short break, but when we come back, we want to talk about real practical steps to building self worth.
Speaker 2: Stay with us, and we're back with Jamie currnle Meel. Jamie. Something that we talk a lot about on our show is the hedonic treadmill. And you brought this up earlier, this idea of wanting to achieve and achieve and achieve, and yet whenever we reach that destination, that accomplishment, it never fully satisfies or fulfills us. I mean, you landed on the Forbes Rich Is Self Made Women list, your book Worthy has been on the New York Times bestseller list for weeks, and you just launched your podcast at Jamie Kerrnlema Show. So I want to know, at what point did you truly feel successful?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had achieved a lot of the things you just mentioned and still arrived at them feeling like I wasn't enough. And what I didn't know was that there's a huge difference between self confidence and self worth. Right, But self confidence is, you know, how we assess our skills and abilities. It's our willingness to try and go for it. It's how much of the world's definition of success we think we have if we're winning or losing at the time, and our self confidence is fragile, but our self worth being that just you know, deep internal belief that we're worthy of love and blying exactly as we are. It's different. After selling the company all these things, I was about to turn forty years old and a lifelong dream came true and I met Oprah and it was the most incredible moment. And I wrote her a letter after and got a phone call and she invited me to her house for lunch. So at the time, I was really confident I had achieved a lot of things, but I didn't understand that self worth is different, and I literally sabotaged the entire thing.
Speaker 4: I went to her.
Speaker 5: House, I had a three hour lunch with her. It was incredible. She's like seriously, and I mean.
Speaker 4: I was just like, how is this happening?
Speaker 5: All the things, the best three hour lunch. At the very end of it, she wrote me a note and put her cell phone number on it and she said call me anytime. You can call me anytime. And I'm like trying to be super cool, right and I'm like, okay, okay, you know, and I like leave her house. I did not call her for four years, did not call her. Yep, boy, now remember why? For four years I told myself stories like, oh, I just need to like think of the perfect thing to say, then I'm gonna call her, or everyone probably wants something from her. I'm gonna prove I don't need nothing. Four years later, it hit me the real reason I had not called her was because, deep down and sorrow, I did not believe I was worthy of being her friend. That is the day I became obsessed with studying self worth. That is the day I picked up the phone and called her. Literally, that is the day where I realized you cannot outsucceed your level of self worth. Your self worth will always become your ceiling. In every air of life, we all know somebody who's like this amazing girl and she's like got everything, and you're like, why is she in a relationship with someone who treats her horribly? It's because you can build a lot of self confidence, but deep down inside you do not believe you're worthy of love and Blondie exactly as you are, not as you achieve, not as you fail, but exactly innately as who you are. Like that will be your ceiling always, and so you'll sabotage the thing if you don't believe you're worthy of it.
Speaker 4: And I did that with Oprah.
Speaker 5: So I think that's why building our self worth is truly like the most I think it's the most important journey that we can all be on, and it's a lifelong one, and for me, it's every day I have to check myself.
Speaker 3: I think that's so impactful and powerful and inspiring, and the idea of just believe in yourself feels so simple, and yet in practice it's really challenging. Those four years where you said you didn't call Oprah.
Speaker 1: What kind of work were you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm curious to learn from you some of these, like real practical steps that we can do to start building that foundation.
Speaker 5: This is the most important thing to know with how we start building self worth is it's not every single person that's listening to us right now. I do not care how many mistakes you have made, how many.
Speaker 4: Any of it.
Speaker 5: You are only innately worthy, exactly as you are, And that's the most beautiful thing. And the journey of building selfware starts with realizing, like there's not a whole bunch of things I got to learn. We can learn a whole bunch of things and build our self confidence, but self worth is so often a journey of unlearning. It's a journey of like unlearning all the lies that lead to self doubt that we've learned over the years, And one of the greatest ones to start with is we so often believe the lie if I am me, I won't be loved, that won't be invited into.
Speaker 4: The thing if they only knew.
Speaker 5: I'm not as funny enough, I'm not as cool enough, I'm not as smart enough like. We all have those thoughts, and they lead us to showing up as our representative, as who we think we need to be in the room. And when we show up as our representative, it might get the approval from people around us who are also shown up because they're representative. But slowly but surely, it chips away in our own self worth because we're telling ourselves we're unworthy of being who we truly are. The very first step to building self worth is one little baby step at a time, being who you truly are, saying what you really mean, saying how you really feel, and actually tuning in to hear that and to ask yourself because a lot of people, especially girls and women, they're great at sensing and being an EmPATH and sensing what everyone else is feeling, and they don't take time to go who am I, how do I feel? Why am I here on this earth? And what do I have to offer? And then living that answer.
Speaker 2: Jamie, I'm so glad you brought that up, because you really have tapped into something that is universal, that is integral to womanhood, to identity. Yes you're an entrepreneur, Yes you're a podcaster and a talk show host, but you're you're leading a ministry. Really, I mean that's you minister to so many women through this book. What are women telling you when you're interacting with them in those moments after you speak, when they come up to you and they hold your hand and they're really looking to you for this guidance and this empowerment that you provide in this book.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing is that people feel really seen and understood. Just about every person that comes up is saying, like I struggle with this every single day, Like with doubting, I'm enough with doubting. I have what it takes with doubting I'm worthy of unconditional love, of applying for the promotion or asking for the raise, and putting on a swimsuit, putting my art out there in the world. And so the book worthy is, it's wild, it's taking on this life of its own because women are sharing it, like they're giving their copy to another woman and path So I did like this library card, old school library card on the very back of the book, with the intention of like, when you're done with this, to write another woman's name in and pass the book to her and keep it going, you know what I mean, and keep it going. Because for a lot of people, they might have thought I just needed to achieve more, but that's actually not the answer, or I just needed to hit my certain goal weight, or I just needed to get my book published or whatever it might be, right, and that's actually not it. It's how do I learn to believe I'm enough as I am? And by the way, a lot of people worry, well, if I believe I'm enough as I am am, I going to lose all my ambition, And it's like, no, you're actually not going to lose your ambition. You actually become more ambitious when you feel fully worthy as you are, because you know, if you go for it and fall flat on your face and fail, you might shake your confidence for a minute, but it cannot touch your self worth, and so you actually become in a way more ambitious, the greater your self worth.
Speaker 3: Jamie, I have one last question for you, and I know it's going to be kind of personal, But what are the whispers telling you now? Because you've just you've accomplished so much, what's inside of you now?
Speaker 4: Every day?
Speaker 5: I still am on that journey of learning to believe I'm worthy of having fun, worthy of offering what feels like in alignment with my assignment. So the whispers right now are me working really really hard to get better at just getting still at asking God, how are you going to use me? Like how am I supposed to be used in this life? And then trusting that and living that answer and not getting confused with the old lies I used to believe that I need to achieve enough to be enough, And so I'm kind of on that journey now of you know, walking into the show with the two of you today, is you know, my whole intention is, you know, is that I hope something we talk about is of service for someone listening, and to just be an appreciation and on of the two of you for this offering that you guys are doing through the show and putting out into the world and just kind of to be present in it and enjoy it. And the old me would have been different. It would have been like, how much am I doing today? And so for me now, the whispers say, you know, be here with some own and Daniell'll have you know, be in this moment, be of service, try to enjoy it and try to live the answer that is the dream that I'm trying to tune in that God has for me, because I think we all have purpose in this life, and I think that if we don't learn to like really listen to what that is and what feels right when we're doing it, we can so easily, you know, talk ourselves out of our own truth and be living someone else's life or dream for ourselves or societies, which never feels fulfilling.
Speaker 3: Love it. Thank you so much, Jamie. This was a really full hearted conversation.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Jamie well, thank you for having full hearted conversations like the world needs this show. And then what the two of you are putting out there, so I'm just honored to be here with you both, So thank you.
Speaker 3: Jamie Kern Lima is a New York Times best selling author, entrepreneur, and founder of IT Cosmetics.
Speaker 2: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow. It's the fourth of July, and writer and editor Matty Kahn is here to help us shine a light on the women throughout American history who fought for our rights.
Speaker 3: Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 2: You can find me at simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's ro Ba.
Speaker 2: Y see you tomorrow, folks. Keep looking on the bright side.