Speaker 1: Let's talk about So you leave Georgetown go to Charlotte, one of my favorite teams. I grew up watching old Charlotte Charlotte Hornets.
Speaker 2: I feel that during that time, the early nineties, that that we were like, uh, we attracted the younger colors and Colors Strike.
Speaker 3: And Muzzy, you know, l J and the ground.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody would go to India.
Speaker 5: The vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was when that was when Baggy Short started becoming like every kid won them Charlotte Hornet like, but talk about that because that was that was kind of a trendy team.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: Uh. I wish we could have kept the band together. Man, Unfortunately, no business got in a way.
Speaker 4: It did.
Speaker 2: Business got in the way. And uh and you know, I'm going to say this, you know publicly. You know, I don't think that we had the proper management to keep it together because I was willing to stay there, you know, but God had another plan. Yeah, look, come to Miami. The best thing ever happened to me, bro It's truly for me and my family, you know, for my life in general, the best thing ever happened to me. Mickey Rison, all of them, you know, they have been a blessing to my life, you know, to this day, you know, but I knew what I knew at that time. I knew Charlotte and I loved Charlotte. And I had just come from Virginia. That was my hometown, and Charlotte has had a lot of similarities to be Virginia. And we were the hottest things in town. We couldn't go nowhere, didn't pay for no meals nowhere. You know, we had the largest attendance. And in basketball, you know, we had the largest attendance, the largest crowd, man, and they were electric every night. And I loved playing the high It is like when that.
Speaker 5: Broke up and he broke up with that team and he started going there his friends and.
Speaker 1: Family b D and those guys came back.
Speaker 5: But I'm telling you that team was dope. Man. What what what's split it up? What was it? Well?
Speaker 2: Uh, I want to know this. Listen. The owner of the owner of the team, George, you know, he paid l J. And I was next up, you know, and my agents said, hey, you know I can get you this with five different teams. You just got to choose this team you want to play for. I said, no, I want to stay and I want to stay in Charlotte, and David Fox said, he said, I don't think Charlotte's gonna pay you this number. And uh, I said, well, you know, I'll take that's money to stay. So we started having conversations with George Shen and he said uh and these were his exact words, You're not worth that. Yeah, and that right there, I mean, how fast you packed your oh I packed yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. When he when he told me that I had to get out of there, man, I was like, yeah, George Shen, yeah. So that was the basis of the conversation and what from Miami and then and then during that process, I reached out to Patrick and I asked him about, you know, playing under Pat Riley and I said, I heard his practices are hard, man.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And Pat was like, boy, you went to Georgetown as hard as our practices was. You ain't gonna be intimidated by the practice. He said, go to Miami. Go And I said, Patrick, I had a chance to come to New York and play with you. He was like, nah, I don't want you here. Go to Miami. So that put me over the top right there. That was the deciding factor right there. It really was because I had a conversation with Big John and Patrick and they both told me to come to Miami. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was wondering how that end how up?
Speaker 2: Well that's how it all. That's how it happened, man, you know, and I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 6: And the crazy thing is Patrick knew that you would be competing against him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knew that.
Speaker 4: He knew he knew by sending you to.
Speaker 2: Miami because I would have played the four in New York and he would have played center.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, that would have been an incredible friend.
Speaker 6: That's what the American man. Because I want to talk to you about this because I feel like the American Center is somewhat diminishing the American Center.
Speaker 4: We'll get into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well right now, it's prehistoric. It is. You know, guys don't value the post up and taking advantage of mismatches.
Speaker 5: And you It's so funny, man. When I first came to the league, time I played with Patrick Orlando. Okay, all right, but he was still the same old g though. He was the grinder work, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: But what I was telling you come in, it's you always have two seven footers and you run, you run floppies and you play.
Speaker 2: They come off the screen, big stepping, dun seal all that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And I talked about it, man, like those guys are so valuable because there was the defensive.
Speaker 5: The legal defense was so different. Oh you're on the island the big dude. I'm telling you, man, the game.
Speaker 4: Is completely man.
Speaker 2: They popping, they picking popping out the jumping.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were doing the drill the other day and we were coming off. We were coming off of a screen. But they set a screen at the elbow and the big just dive down to the blocking ball in the paint as we do in the drill. Everybody coming off the screen at the elbow, but they dieming out to fifteen fifteen feet just cut off the screen shot and right away and mind you, the defenders going under the screen.
Speaker 4: So all you gotta do is beat him and seeing them and seal them.
Speaker 6: Everybody running the fifteen feet unbelievable, Like y'all don't see the defender going under the screen.
Speaker 4: You hit his ass, steal his ass is just.
Speaker 2: Take a let But analytics say, but if you shoot this many shots, this many times, but it doesn't emphasize the fact that you know, you shoot a higher percentage in this particular area. So if I shoot these shots, yeah they're two's. But if you shoot more threes.
Speaker 4: Then I'm like no, yeah. But the crazy thing about the crazy thing, the crazy.
Speaker 6: Thing about analytics is that it's contradicting because down the stretch you take whatever shots you can get. So now you're you're I want to get up thirty, I want to get up forty threes. But down the stretch you're getting you're taking what you can get. Yeah, yeah, you're taking what you can get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always looking for a higher percentage shot, Yes, exactly. What's gonna give me a higher percentage of a chance to make the shots? Yes, you know, so give me a steady volume of that.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna live. I love that era. I like the weather. Shoot threes right now for me.
Speaker 6: I'm sure I would imagine understand, when you have the skill set and you have everybody doesn't have the roster and skill set you like the ship Boston did the other night was ridiculous when guys like when you're guys like Peyton Pritcher who are not even your main guys and Derek White can go ten threes and nine forty. That's the type of team should be doing that.
Speaker 2: Ship.
Speaker 4: That ain't for everybody.
Speaker 5: Here's here's the problem.
Speaker 4: Everybody ain't step pariod. Yeah, that ain't.
Speaker 1: Everybody is like to me, where coaches and organizations have got to start relling the back end a little bit. Is they play a certain style games one through eighty two they're not doing not the playoffs. That that equal opportunity, one pass shot. Okay, you do that game too in the in in the Western Conference FINALSS finals, No our best player high pick and roll, fine paint, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like and as you know, in the playoffs, especially in the fourth quarter, the game slows down.
Speaker 1: It's cann be a four minute game at the end of every playoff game is I tell you all the time, you're turning into four minute games. The last four minutes you're not gonna be just okay, can I get him with three?
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's cute the one through eighty two because it's like, Okay, we lost my two best players picking Roll yeah, yeah, no yah, yeah, no doubt picking Roll.
Speaker 6: Doing all that ship I'm getting to the spots that were taking what we could get inside of it.
Speaker 1: Now what I talk about like, I get frustrated to watch it and I'm like, yo, but that's not how you're going to do in the playoffs. I promise you, if you do, it's gonna be one It's gonna be a one round exit. You know, it's not gonna be like because hey, we know that this playoff basketball is different. Now everyone's built for this ship.
Speaker 4: It's not March Madness his back, baby, go gate.
Speaker 6: I see you making that deep running Attorney Tommi John can't protect you against playoff upsets, but their limited edition basketball underwear can guarantee you a distraction free viewing experience all playoff season. Avoid a backcourt violation with Wedgetproof underwell. No picks, no rolls, just simply soft comfort. They perfect to wear the dinner, the gym, the bed, the person tile fellas to rock them any time, anywhere, anyplace, do what you want to do in them, have a good time, you know how Some of them other brands might be a little bit too tight, a little bit too uncomfortable in the right places.
Speaker 4: Thammas John stay right where they're supposed to be and do right what they supposed to do.
Speaker 6: Fellas, ain't never got to worry about cheese and yass fellas. Tommy John has definitely changed the game for me. It's the MVP of underwell, So make sure you go.
Speaker 4: To the website. Get right to it, y'all.
Speaker 6: Go get twenty five percent off right now on your first order at Tommy john dot com slash og. Save twenty five percent at Tommy john dot com slash ogs. That's twenty five percent off at Tommy Johns dot com slash OG's hoop fans.
Speaker 1: It might be April, but the college basketball action is not going anywhere. Bracket already busted, No problem, you can still get it on the action with my partners at DraftKings Sportsbook. Right now they are offering all new customers one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly after betting just five dollars. Download the DraftKings app now, sign up using code ogs and bet the unexpected.
Speaker 5: The crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Stay in on the action and use your one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets on Draft Kings same game parlays for a shot at an even bigger payout. Combine multiple bets together from the same game. Love the thrill of live betting. DraftKings has got you covered bet live on in progress games right as they happen, making watching the games that much more exciting. If sports betting is not yet available in your state, don't worry. You can still join in on all the fun with DraftKings Pick six and have the shot to win cash prizes. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app now. New customers, use my promo code ogs and bet just five dollars on any wager and get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly. That's promo code Ogs only at DraftKings Sportsbook