Speaker 1: Quarterback.
Speaker 2: You're dead nights at quarterback. They recruiter as a quarterback and you just decided no one of your players.
Speaker 3: Well, I got recruited as a quarterback, and when I went, Chris Winki was actually started.
Speaker 1: But Chris wink was one hundred and seventeen, so we.
Speaker 3: Got He got drafted baseball, played baseball for some years, came back, and when he came back, he was like twenty five something.
Speaker 1: Remember that he's like these football players. Now, was that I l.
Speaker 3: When I got recruited, he actually had he had got hurt. So he didn't play in the National championship that year against Tennessee because he had like a neck and when I when I saw him, he couldn't throw a tennis ball, damn five yards. So I'm like, okay, I can go compete and win the spot. But when I ended up signing, were going to training camp and he one hundred percent. So now he's a junior and I think he's about twenty five, so obviously you know, he led the team to a national championship, so he got the starting job.
Speaker 1: Coming in.
Speaker 3: They had Marcus Olson who was back up, and then they had like JJ. But I found myself watching practice, like it was probably about probably about three days four days in the training camp. I'm watching practice. I'm not taking reps, and I'm not used to watching practice because I mean, I started, I started at varsity, you know what I'm saying, as a freshman. So I'm here, I'm watching practice. I'm like, man, this ain't cool. Like I was like, I'm about to go highlight coach. Right after practice, I go up and talk to coach Abowten. I'm like, coach, man, like, I'm not cool with just watching practice, like I want to play. He was like, well, we recruited you to be a quarterback and you're trying to switch already. I'm like yeah. I was like, man, I don't care about that. I was like, I'm just trying to get on the field. I'm not used to this. He was like, have you talked to your parents about it? Because I know, you know they were they really wanted you to play quarterback too. I was like, I mean I talked to my dad. He was like, whatever I want to do, it's cool. So he was like, all right, well we'll allow you to switch. He said, what position you're thinking about? So I was like, man, I played safety in high school, so I go to safety. He was like, nah, He's like, we can't let you go to safety. You're too good with the ball in game. He was like, if you're gonna switch, it has to be on offense. You can go to receiver or running back. I'm like running back, I'll go to receiver. I had never played receiver before. In the room that I went into the receiver room, it was like Peter Ward run, Dugan's labernie is cold snoop minutes. All these dudes got and I'm walking in there as a a quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But two weeks later we played Louisiana Tech, I get too touchdown first game.
Speaker 4: Hey man, that's crazy. That's crazy. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is is you did. Can kind of take some credit for you being the Hall of Fame and wide receiver then, because you know to Florida, which is where you should have went, you might have been starting quarterback. We never saw you as a wide receiver.
Speaker 1: We can tell people, we're gonna get into that.
Speaker 4: But the crazy thing is, and the kids at home, she can take a page out your book, bro, because you started your freshman years as a freshman in varsity, get to college and hit with some adversity. I ain't quit, I ain't jumping the portal. I ain't doing none of that. And Coach, this ain't what I want to be on the field. What I gotta do, what I gotta do. And this is the great Bobby Bollen, by the way, this ain't no, this ain't no duck. He going to talk to Bobby Bouen. And I tell you, it took me two years to speak to rounds dog. I ain't saying Rody for two years. It's a great pat riley. What I'm gonna say them. He went to hollered that Bobby Boule and his future was on the line. So all your kids at home, man, get a little tough man. Hey, getting there, man and go. And then at the same time he was scared to bet on himself. I changed positions because I know I could do it.
Speaker 2: Coach just went there as a quarterback and got two tugboats up front.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: I got a question about Bobby Ballen because my homeboy used to play for Florida State Cook Cleveland Thomas.
Speaker 1: He played you know Cook.
Speaker 4: Cook told me Bobby Bell used to say six words a day, come down there and say let's work hard.
Speaker 1: Get up there and go sit up in that thing. The practice. He come down there and say way to work. That's true.
Speaker 3: He stayed in the tower, so we come out. But he actually he took a lot of notes. So we had we had the two practice fields, and his tower was like in between the two practice fields.
Speaker 1: So he had to feel over here, to feel over here.
Speaker 3: His tower, and he turned from one field to the next, and he everything that went on.
Speaker 1: He knew.
Speaker 3: He had his notepad, he had his pen, and he's taking notes the whole time. So like he was the eye in the sky, like great and he was a lot of people don't know. When I was at Florida State, especially my freshman year, like offense and defense didn't get along like Monday through Friday. It was it was all out war. Only time we got along was on Saturdays. So we we actually made each other better. And we had it was Mickey Andrews and Chuck a model.
Speaker 4: And then we had Mark Rick who was the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Man Georgia.
Speaker 3: I remember we was in We used to be in practice and a lot of the times like in football, you the offense will get a defense the script so you will know like what what formations we in, what personnel we in, so they can get it set. And I remember in practice one day defense yailed across. They were like, what's the personnel and Mark Rick was like figure it out. So like if if any day in practice, if offense had a great day, defense had to run.
Speaker 1: And I ain't talking about just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had to get it likes died there and if defense won, offense already knew what was coming. So like every day you can't go to practice and like I'm gonna feel it out or I'm gonna be cool with you know what I'm saying. Whoever, Nah, Like it's complete war and you're trying to win it. And that's why that especially my freshman year, we ended up going undefeated. We the first team go wide to wire number one the whole year. But because of the way that guys worked. Man training camp is a fight every day offense versus defense. Like you fight, and if if ever there was a time on field, so say one receiver gets in a fight and you can't see every receiver on their fight, you gotta run.
Speaker 4: You gotta be a That's what we grew up in k Killer. Did you hear the receiver room that he walked into? Lavernius Cole, supn Ron Ron? Can we get Peter Ward? Pete doug Old School, stop the down bus, stop your gass and you keep flying.
Speaker 1: Loaded Bradington y'all was loaded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a we had a we had a man, We had a receiver, a receiver group. Just the guys I played with, Like I said, Peter Ward, Lavernius Coles, run dug and Snoop Minace, Javon Walker.
Speaker 1: Who Javon damn Greg Moore, Jermaine Streamer, damn man. It was. It was loaded. Who was the running backs? Travis Miner, Jeff Cheney, Jeff Cheney, Davy Ford.
Speaker 3: Then we ended up recruiting. We got Nick Maddocks, who was the number one running back in the country, and then we had Greg Jonesmies.
Speaker 4: Big boy for the Jaguars. Run your ass, so take your glass with him to.
Speaker 2: The Bobby Bottle was a real o g and huh yeah yeah. So he loved that defensive offense.
Speaker 4: That's type to do you think like and as you know, as Bobby Bowden got a little older, because you look at the coaches that have been like so so so instrumental in college football and winning and setting the tone. Did you feel like as they got a little bit older, it was just a different generation that just didn't know who Bobby Baden was and you just didn't have the same admiration and respect that you did because Listen, pat Riley didn't have to earn my respect, Bobby Biden didn't have to earn your respect. But now when you two three generations remove and they don't know no better exactly, you think that impacts it a little bit because I see it all the time.
Speaker 3: And then if I think sometimes you have like when you have organizations that are established and like just say like the Heat or like us at that time Florida State, who I mean, I think at the time we had like fifteen top five finishes like in a row.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: But when you when you think about it and you have kids who didn't help establish that culture, Yes, they just come in on the back end of it and they think that everything is you know what I'm saying. You think about like the facilities and stuff like that, like the people that came before you, you know, what I'm saying, actually put into work to make sure that you can have the stuff that you have. So these younger guys they walk in and they see this stuff, they think it's just it's They don't they don't see it as being earned, you know what I'm saying. They don't see it as a privilege. They think it's supposed to be. They don't know the work that was put in to earn that. Like when we when we were there, we had Matt drills, and like we used to actually have coaches come in from other D one schools and watch us do Matt drills because they wanted to see why was Florida State so good? Why were they top five finishers in fifteen years in a row. And like at one point we were the only team doing Matt drills. So Matt drills is our winter conditioning. So just think for an hour plus straight conditioning. And what they used to do, like this is old school. They used to turn turn up the heat and turn off the water. So it wasn't no, it wasn't no breaks. It wasn't Your only break was going from one drill to the next. But going from one drill to the next, you gotta run, So it was no like take your time get there.
Speaker 4: So it's like stations and you just stations and you just running through the oh man, and it was it and breaking is frowned upon.
Speaker 3: If you quit, that's from you ain't quitting. You can't listen. So say were in a group and and you may have been missing class all all fall and thinking.
Speaker 2: He was he was, he was missing class off all.
Speaker 3: When you get the MAT drills, they got all your all your absences. So before we even start, you may have five hundred up down so you're doing up downs, were watching whoever miss class, you know what I'm saying, doing their up downs whatever. And now we start MATT drills. So now you and I group, you already done the fact that you're missing class. The coach is already mad at you. So they got it out for you. But because we in your group, we got it got it. So every time we go, as soon as we finish, bring that group back. So that's and you've got a list. So every morning you're going to gym, you're looking at that list, who's in my group? And if you look in that group and you see like one of them knuckleheads, you kill.
Speaker 4: But that's you know, that make you accountable. Yeah, and that's that most think about the team instead of just themselves. And that's the habits that we have bro because at my age, when I got in the league dog, it was so hard for me to be selfish because of the habits that I have built. You know what I'm saying the same kind of if we lose, if I lose, if I do something wrong, all us lose. If I mess up, we all gotta suffer.
Speaker 2: Here is a dirty little secret that insurance industry may want to keep under wraps. Insurance companies profit by holding onto your money for as long as possible, so after an accident they might do whatever they can to delay or deny your claim. This way they can keep those profits growing. Morgan and Morgan fights hard against these corporations, a fight to make sure you get every dollar you deserve winning court. The insurance companies want juries to think that at fault driver is the one paying the verdict amount. Meanwhile, it's really the insurance companies who are covering the cost. When Morgan and Morgan takes on a case, there are almost always going after the big insurance companies and not the individuals are at fault. Morgan and Morgan fights hard for their clients, and these corporations know that a recent client in Pennsylvania just received twenty nine million. That's twenty nine million dollars. Ensures best offer was five hundred thousand. Another recent client in Florida received twenty million dollars last offer zero. There's a reason why Morgan and Morgan is America's largest injury firm. Hiring the wrong firm can be disastrous. Hiring the right firm could substantially increase your settlement. With Morgan and Morgan. It's easy to get started, and their fee is free unless they win. Just visit for the people dot com backslash ogs or dial pound Law five to nine. That's for the people dot com Max like ogs or dial pound Law five to nine. This, my friends, is a paid advertisement. Fight Fans. UFC three one seven is almost here and it's shaping up to be a can't miss card with high stakes matchups and title implications online. Every punch, kick, and take down counts. There's no better way to get in the action than with my partners at DraftKings Sportsbook. Right now, new customers who bet just five dollars, get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly, no matter who you're backing and octagon, now's the time to make your picks. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app and sign up using my promo code OGS. The crown is yours. Stay in on the action and use your one hundred and fifty dollars and bonus bets on DraftKings same game parlays for a shot at an even bigger payout. Combine multiple bets together from the same game. Love the thrill of live betting. DraftKings has got you covered. Bet live in progress games right as they happen, making watching the game that much more exciting. If sports betting is not yet available in your state, don't worry. You can still join in on all the fun with DraftKings Pick six and have the shot to win cash prizes. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now new customers, use my promo code OGS and bet just five dollars on any wager and get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus betsy. That's promo code OGS only at DraftKings Sportsbook