Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert S.
Speaker 3: Barry's gonna score touchdown Swim to the ground by Buddha Banker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the back deal.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in bal Vista.
Speaker 4: Seek your Ticket to Great Seats.
Speaker 2: And by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast.
Speaker 5: A Red Seas Rising Up, TIMPTU, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Take it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvici.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready. And Ron Woolfley.
Speaker 5: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 4: The fre For the second time, we said the second time in the past three years, the Cardinals will go to Cleveland for a road game for the Cardinals' first time head coach. It is a homecoming. Jonathan Gannon is a Cleveland native. While a member of this show is a former Browns player and former opponent of the Browns who once upon a time, legend has it triggered the dog Pound and felt the wrath. So let's see here, Paul calvic here, Polly pencil Neck never played in the NFL. I guess that leaves Ron Wolfley here in the Big Red Rage presented by Santane Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford. We are awaiting Trey McBride will join us a little bit later. The tight end extraordinary coming off week eight. But wolf do tell what was it? Once upon a time you did it triggered the dog Pound, Paully.
Speaker 1: It was truly incredible. It was the very first regular season an NFL game I ever played in on the road against the Cleveland Browns and the dog Pound, and we were standing in our own head zone and it was a two minute time out, and suddenly there were these dog bones that were coming down, you know, there's one and they were sticking into the ground because we had this massive deluge, and suddenly there they are these dog biscuits, and I'm like, people are throwing dog biscuits. I grabbed it and I turned around and threw the thing right into the dog Pound and Paulie, every dude every veteran in the huddles A don't. And I remember letting that thing go where I was looking at him like what what you know? And Paul, we got showered with dog bones. We won the game in overtime. It was incredible. But yeah, that place, I got a lot of good memories and bad memories are all right.
Speaker 4: Rookie mistake, a very unique rookie mistake. Yeah, you know what, that's kind of foreshadowing because we have another potential first time ever starter in the NFL. We'll get to that. It's a process here because the NFL, even though we're only what four days into the week five if you count game day Sunday, where we heard Jonathan Gannon named Josh Dobbs his starter for week nine, Well, guess what things are subject to change? And then by the next morning, well, you had a new order in the QB room on the depth chart where Josh Dobbs was demoted to number three and would either be Clayton too in the rookie or the franchise quarterback Kyler Murray as your starter. But by Tuesday morning, Wolf keep up here another twenty four hours later and come the trade deadline, guess what Josh Dobbs was a member of the Minnesota Vikings. He was traded along with a conditional seventh round pick and returned for a sixth round pick, which led the head coach Jonathan Gannon to tell the media this.
Speaker 6: Just want to thank Josh for his contributions. You know, if he came in battled, he's an ultimate pro what he did for us and our team can't thank him enough. Josh is excited for the opportunity to go to Minnesota and go play. We're excited for him.
Speaker 4: And he might play. He might play as soon as this week. We'll see what they're gonna do the Vikings. Why why do you think Josh Dobbs ultimately wolf in hindsight?
Speaker 1: Now, yes, he.
Speaker 4: Had a few days of process. So why do you think he's a member of the Vikings?
Speaker 1: Because I think the Minnesota Vikings looked at it and said, man, we got to find a guy that's got some type of experience, some type of experience here. And I know Josh Dobbs doesn't have a huge folder of experience, but I do know that this year he's actually got some experience on tape. Of course, playing in these games for the Arizona Cardinals. The's eight games right here. So the Minnesota Vikings have something recently that they can look at and they can say, man, we like this and we like that right here. And I honestly believe it was also because Josh Dobbs is so smart. I think I think the Minnesota Vikings belief they can bring him up there and throw him out there this Sunday based on an offense that they're going to trim down with a game plan, of course, but I think they think he's going to be able to play. And you know, it's really a testament to the intelligence of Josh Stopps.
Speaker 4: And you know what with Kyler Murray coming back in Josh Dobbs not being part of the immediate future, then guess what. You traded away a fifth round pick to get him. If you can get a six round pick in return, you know, it's almost like a rental and you get your deposit back right on, Josh Doabbs. So if you're GM Mantiyasi fort okay, you get something in return, then you go ahead and re sign Jeff Driscoll to the practice squad so you have that third quarterback just in case Kyler Murray is not going this week. We don't know as of yet, and all we know is it's down to either Kyler Murray or Clayton Tune. And here's what the offensive coordinator, Drew Petsing had to say this week on Kyler if he goes and just you know, ramping it up on a short term basis.
Speaker 7: There are so many different aspects of it from an operational standpoint, from a decision making standpoint, from getting in and out of the huddle. You know, iking it. It'd be like someone going to play a regular season game on July twenty eighth, and you know, realistically, that's I mean, he's that's how many practices he's had essentially, so you know, getting him up speak, getting him onny go that that's a big task. But when he's ready to go, he's gonna be out there.
Speaker 4: Right we and during the media portion of practice we've seen him out there the last couple of days now. He's been throwing to practice squad receivers in tight ends. So you can draw your own conclusion on that based on what we've seen. But Wolf, how do you weigh this season coming in on short notice in two or three weeks practice time versus four years of experience and being a starter from day one ever since he was a rookie twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that that really is to me. Once again. You got to talk about Kyler Murray being in this offense and it is a different offense obviously. Yeah, I think and Tune, PAULI, this is just me the gut feeling here, and then Clayton Tune is going to be the starter of course going forward right now, unless something happens drastically, I think Clayton Tune is going to be the starter. I think Kyler Murray will Maybe this is just me, but maybe get something situationally. Nobody's told me that, Paul. This is just my gut feeling. I've been talking about it for the last couple of weeks. Right now, would there be anything wrong with actually bringing Kyler Murray in situationally and actually playing him to kind of ease his way into coming back. I don't think there would be. That's my own opinion. Nobody has told me that right now. But it's going to be interesting to see. I've wanted to see Clayton Tune get the opportunity to go out in a regular season game and face regular season defenses and see how he does. So I'm very interested with that.
Speaker 4: All right, Speaking of Clayton tune, here's Jonathan Gannon on how he has kept the fifth on rookie ready to go.
Speaker 6: Drew and is have done a great job with him as far as you know, those guys have to spend a little extra time. He does things behind the scenes with those guys that get some mental reps and you know the communications standpoint of it, even just learning football defense is different. NFL is different than college, so you know things that you know Kyler might know, Clayton might not know.
Speaker 4: Right, So there's the known and unknown. You got a fifth round rookie potentially making his first career start. There's a lot to find out, there's no doubt. Here's what we do know. We got a lot of action in the preseason. He got a lot of action at Minnesota and the joint practices against Brian Flores's first team defense. I mean a lot of snaps. Wolf, You saw every one of them. You were standing right there. Brian Flores did dial up a few different things, so he kind of got a regular season ish type look, even though he wasn't being tackled to the ground. But you also saw him extend a lot of plays, did he not. I mean, he's a lot more mole than most people might figure.
Speaker 1: He really is. Pully he watching Clayton Tune. That was something that you and I both looked at when we're up there watching the joint practices and said, man, this guy really can't run. Does a good job. He's a much better athlete than most people give him credit for. But Clayton Tune can I can I tell you that. I believe he really does represent where most teams want to go in the National Football League by blending the old offensive traditions and the new schemes that are out there. I think Clayton Tune is one of those guys Pully that can do it, a guy that you can put under center, a guy that will be okay in the pocket, taking a three step drop and throwing the ball, taking a five step drop, a seventh step with play action coming off of it, getting into the shotgun and running all of the shotgun stuff, the RPOs in his own reads, and getting into pistol and doing it all. I really do believe that Clayton Tune and he did a lot of it actually in college as well. But I do believe PAULI, this is a guy that embodies where most offensive coordinators want to go with offensive football moving forward in the National Football League.
Speaker 4: You know, after he was drafted, we had we had Clayton Tune here on the Big Red Rage, and I asked him about what scheme he had been in at Houston, presuming it was an air raid to spread. He said, no, his last couple of years it was more of a traditional NFL type offense. So yes, he has experience in both. To your point, here's what else I'll say. In addition to extending the plays, I think we can presume the Cardinals now have a more accurate quarterback versus Josh Dobbs. Now, look, there was a lot to like with Josh Doabbs. I mean, you know, he did a lot to make plays. The first four games he had zero picks, But his last four starts against for the Cardinals, he had five picks and they were all very costly, and the two against Baltimore very costly. A seven to seven game became twenty one to seven. Even Brock Purdy had no picks over his five games. He was five and zero. He's had five picks in his last three games. He's lost all three. Those interceptions will lose you games. And I think the Cardinals accuracy from the quarterback spot just improved, even though he's never made a career start.
Speaker 1: That's why, frankly, Paul I was a little surprised when Minnesota Vikings were all over Josh Dobbs because if you look at tape the last three games in particular, he had a quarterback rating of sixty eight. Yeah in those three games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no doubt. I mean, he had that brig in the three before this last week. He was under sixty in all three of those games. And after the second interception, his passer rating was twenty five, and then he had a furious fourth quarter. So we'll see. I mean it's either that or the Vikings were left with their own fifth round. Rookie and Jaren Hall. Hey, Cardinals Focus, Saturday, eight thirty twelve News. We'll get you ready for this Cardinals and Browns matchup. In fact, we'll continue. Trey McBride is our guest. We'll talk Clinton toon more next on The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert second and goal from the seventh Clayton tune a long snap Pount in the gun, snapped short set looking into the end zone.
Speaker 1: Crolls got his man Dade and Davis.
Speaker 4: Back of the end zone, touchdown. Cargals right on the Buddy incenst.
Speaker 3: For sins and that is a great broke right there by Clinton.
Speaker 1: Jim.
Speaker 2: Cover zero brings the house, great answer, balls coming out cross the space, anticipation.
Speaker 4: Everything you need to see we saw right there by Clinton too. You know I forgot about that. That's trusten there from the preseason, the debut against Denver and a cover zero as vance. Joseph was indeed dialing it up in that preseason game and Clayton tune did get some looks, some exotic looks where they were bringing numbers, and he excelled at times because we all think about the last impression he left in the preseason where he missed the blitz off the edge, the dB blitz right and he was looking the wrong way, and then this strip sack and was very costly, even though he rebounded into that Minnesota game. Very next play when the Cardinals got back on offense was a twenty yard completion to Greg Derch. But interesting to note there Clayton Tune if indeed he's tracking to be the starter. On Sunday, it's the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Trey McBride. Our guest coming up, Paul Calvec and Ron Wolfley and and wolf I'll stop talking here from a minute, and you talk about Clayton tune and just how much you think the preseason is gonna matter now that he gets a regular season start, because we all know August is vastly different from September, October, November, December.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt about it, PAULI. It's very, very tough. It's not going to be anything like what he saw in preseason right now, especially when you're talking about the Cleveland Browns defense, their defense, their pass defense in particular, you're talking about the number one pass defense in the National Football League in terms of yards per game allowed and number six in terms of yards per play allowed. So not only are they really really good defensively with their covered schemes and buttoned up on the back end, but on the front end they'll get after you as well. They're number three in sacks per attempt and Oh, by the way, Paul, the number one third down defense in the league. What does it take BALI to have great third down defense? You better have a pass rush and you better be button up on the backside. So Clayton Tune is going to get a huge sample size of what it means to be the best defense against the pass in this league. He's going to see it face to face.
Speaker 4: Here's another one I just found in the Cleveland defense. They have the best three and out rate through eight games since two thousand. Think about that.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 4: They have forced a greater rate of three and outs by offenses than anyone in more than two decades. That was probably that Ravens team the year two thousand and at home, Cleveland has just been money. They're three and one at home. They have allowed less than thirteen points per game. So yeah, it's certainly a challenge, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, though, he apparently has the mentality and mindset and demeanor to handle this sort of pressure in his first career start. Just listen to what d J. Humphreys had to say this week about the rookie Clayton Tune.
Speaker 8: Clayton is he commands the huddle, how he looks, you know, he just looked like I went through it.
Speaker 1: Man, you touchdown?
Speaker 8: You want me to tell you like, that's that's that's kind of his vib So, I mean, I enjoy it. I love picking with him and kind of getting a little fire out of him because he's so cool and collecting and it's he's I'm a big fan of Clayton as well.
Speaker 1: It's just his his demeanor and how carry your stuff.
Speaker 8: It's super cool to me to see a young guy with that type of confidence and understanding and being able to be his selfless around everyone else.
Speaker 4: That's Steve Jeffries right there. I was talking to one of Clayton Tune's teammates in the locker room. He said, if I didn't already know he was from Texas, I think Clayton Tune was from SoCal because he's kind of got that Carson Palmer chill about him. So hopefully maybe that sets him up well for Sunday. Considering it because the last Cardinals quarterback to win their first career start care to guests, Ron Wolfley, this is your trivia question here on the Big Red Rage, as we await Trey mcbriden a little bit last Cardinals quarterback and when their first career start John Skelton. Two tens big bread Cardinals quarterbacks ever since an O four and one that one would be Kyler Murray's tie in his debut against Detroit his rookie year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you also have to remember too, it was Clayton Tuone who after the draft right said that he felt like he was the best quarterback in this draft and he meant it. Now, I will tell you he since has backed off that. And we talked to him pauly as a matter of fact, and he was talking about how the fact that you know, that's really not who he is. He does believe it, but he doesn't like sharing it with others. He didn't feel like he wanted to share it with others, and yet he did so. For me, he's got an awful lot of confidence. That is the one thing about Clayton Tune. He's got confidence that he can go out and do the job. And a lot of times that's great, you've got to just go back it up. You don't want to talk about it, and Clayton is certainly not a talker. He's a guy that wants to go back it up.
Speaker 4: You know what else he has as a rookie is a run game, A stout run game. Cardinals are top four hundred and thirty eight yards per game as an offense, number two in yards per carry as a rushing offense five point one yards per carry. They lead the league in twenty plus yard runs with thirteen. So that's always a benefit, right. A quarterback's best friend the run game, and hey, if they go out and they run at thirty plus times, I don't think anybody will be surprised at Cleveland. Here's Clayton Tune at his locker yesterday meeting the media, and the question was just about what sort of challenges he think he might face in his first start.
Speaker 9: Just staying even keeled, staying in the moment, don't get too high, don't get too low. Obviously there's ebbs and flows through every game, so just remain constant and you know, keep everyone on that same level.
Speaker 4: Here's what else I think he has going for Himolf. You're gonna agree or disagree, and I know you will. He's been running the scout team for two months against the cardinals number one defense. Yeah, so in some ways I get it. Nothing's gonna replicate regular season, full contact, full speed football. But he has been going against the Cardinals ones for a couple of months, so hopefully that goes a long way towards getting him ready for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm not saying it's not going to poly but as you've already said, man, going up to Cleveland and playing up there against the Browns in a regular season game, against that defense, especially that pass defense, it's gonna be a whole new situation for Clayton Tune. I don't think there's any way you could get him ready based on practice, if you know what I'm talking about. And for me right now, it's gonna be a tough road for Clayton Tune. But I'm very to see him because of his versatility. We were talking a little bit about this earlier in the show, just his versatility in terms of being able to go under center and be comfortable with the package and plays that you're gonna run under center. You could put him in the shotgun as well, you can put him in the pistol. He can do everything you need to do. It's one of the things that we marveled at during training camp just watching him and in the preseason as well, just how well he was able to blend all of those formations together, and also too physically, the touch that he would have on the ball is well, he's got a great arm. He's got a strong arm. I wouldn't say it's a cannon, but it's a strong arm. And yet he's got this velvety touch on it as well. I'm I'm expecting good things from Clayton, Tom Paul.
Speaker 4: He trusts that arm too. We found that early, even in the off season. A lot of the guys out there, even Rookie Minichamp, they'll he does not hesitate to put that ball into tight windows. He trusts his arm, and he likes to think he has enough accuracy to beat corners and beat defenders even if his receivers only opened by a few inches. So, I mean, that's something there, really that has been signature about his game. What a lot of people might not realize is that Drew Petsing until this season, has spent the last eight years with Kevin Stefanski, and so the Cardinals offensive scheme is very similar to the Browns offensive scheme. Now, what does it look like this Cardinals offense with Clayton Tune because we all figure it's going to look different when Kyler Murray comes back, at least to a certain degree. There's gonna be certain things where they cater to that particular quarterback. So I don't know you care to surmise, Wolf, I mean where and how do you think this Cardinals offense might look different than we've seen it all because Josh Dobbs has started and played all eight games so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're going to see an awful lot of Clayton Tune under center. I think you're going to see him under center a lot, I would say with Deshaun Watson, depending on whether or not Deshaun Watson is going to play. He's a guy that the Browns want to stick under center as well. But Clayton Tune is a guy, when compared to Kyler Murray, that you would like to actually have under center, maybe a little bit more than Kyler. So that's what I expect our offense to do is go out there and get into twelve, get into thirteen personnel, and use Clayton Tune under center where you can run it and use play action to throw it.
Speaker 4: I also wonder if Brown's defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a super veteran of this league. Dials it up for the sake of dialing it up. Just because there is a rookie making his first career start, does he get more exotic than he ever would typically just because you have a rookie, he hasn't seen a lot in the league. You know what, that's a good question for Trey McBride because he's part of the pass protection game as well. We'll ask him next. This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santane Ford.
Speaker 3: Setting up a screen, throwing all over the middle that's caught, and then how about McBride after the catch, hurtling a defender at the twenty. It's a nineteen yard game for Trey McBride to the fifteen yard line.
Speaker 5: Trey McBride going airborne.
Speaker 1: Man. You just see the athleticism of Trey McBride.
Speaker 3: Throws across the middle and it's caught inside the five yard line by McBride fighting for the first down at the two. He's still pushing the pile and he pushes it into the end zone.
Speaker 10: Put it dust down.
Speaker 3: Trey McBride all muscle driving the defense into the end zone for the Star.
Speaker 5: You might watch tape for the next twenty years and never see a play like this run again, unbelievable. He gets stood up in the offensive line, breaks to the ball and push pushes Frey McBride is.
Speaker 4: The caption on that video should read, You're not the bossomme Baltimore defense. Everyone wants to play quarterback. Hardly anyone will other experience what it's like to be at the epicenter of a tush push, But as a tight end, the ever rare tight end who actually experience that? Ron Wolfley, our special guest is here Trey McBride, second year Cardinals tight end on the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. How many times think you've been asked about that play in the last four or five days?
Speaker 10: Tray, Yeah, it's it's been surreal, you know, just seeing how many people, you know, how much tension that got. But most of all, it was just crazy. I can't believe they didn't blow that thing dead. I thought that, you know, they were gonna blow it dead. I kept pushing my feet, kept pushing my feet, and you know, I felt that second surge from the big ol'd lineman, and once I felt that surge, I knew we were getting in there. So, yeah, that was a crazy play. I'm glad we got in there, though.
Speaker 1: Now try I've got to ask you this right now, you know what. I was glad you got in there as well. But I got to ask you this. Tell me about Fort Morgan, Colorado. That's where you were, That's where you grew up. Tell me about Fort Morgan, Man, what's that like?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, small town grew up, it's you know, about ten thousand people. You know, you know, every single person that lives in the town where they grew up, where they're, what their parents do, everything about them. But it was it was a special place. We had nothing to do but play sports. I played basketball, I played baseball, played football, and that's what we did all year round, twenty four to seven. We'd go down to the park play play all the sports in the world and did that all year round.
Speaker 1: It was a blast.
Speaker 4: At what point in high school did you realize, Okay, I'm a football player or were you still telling yourself baseball, basketball and way in all three?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I think it was it took a while. I was really teetering on all the sports. I had offers for baseball, had offers for basketball, and then the other thing was just I was like, man, I think I want to go play football. My brother was already committed to Colorado State, and I was like, I think this is kind of my best best choice, you know, I want to go play D one play football with my brother, and that's what I ultimately decided.
Speaker 1: So you had offers to go play for baseball and advance your career basketball, you had offers for that.
Speaker 10: Yeah they were you know, mostly small Division one sure or Division two, but but yeah, definitely had an opportunity to play in any sport I wanted in college, which was cool.
Speaker 1: All right. In baseball, what did you play though?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was a I was a catcher growing up, and then once I got to once I got to about sophomore year high school, I switched to first base. I was tired of, you know, my knees were starting to hurt a little bit getting down that catcher's position. So I went to first base where I could just stand there and catch the ball. It was really easy, and most of all, you know, I was a powerful hitter, So that was that.
Speaker 1: Was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have the school record and home runs at Fort Morgan High School. You know you should chop it up with your head coach. Because Jonathan Gannon is a Cleveland native, you guys are gonna have to walk through on Saturday at his alma mater, Santa in Naitius High School. So he is an all state dbat, plus he played receiver. He was all stayed in basketball. He hit a game winning free throw to win a state title, and he also ran the hurdles, believe it or not. So you know you got to go in there and flex a little bit on the three sports star stuff from high school days with your head coach.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no doubt, that's really cool. I didn't know all that about him. That's really cool. I have to chop it up with him about that. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: So tell us about the way your head coach has used you, especially the last couple of games, because all of a sudden, you're a fantasy football favorite. Trey McBride. You got fourteen targets in Wolf. Here's the stats, and if Trey doesn't know this, your ten catches are the most for a Cardinals tight end in team history, and your ninety five receiving yards are the most for a Cardinals tight end since nineteen eighty nine since Wolf's former teammate Rob Awalt. Wow, So what you did in this last game was his historic. Just tell us about how you're being used now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it just kind of comes with opportunity. I've kind of been preparing, kind of been doing everything the same way each and every week. But really, I think, you know, obviously with zach on Ir, I've gotten a little bit more opportunity, and that's been that's been great, you know, just getting the passes I can getting thrown to me, and building that chemistry with the quarterbacks, building the chemistry with the coaches that they can trust that they can put the ball in my hand. And then most of all, when I get that you know, third and five, you know, when I get a five yard catch, I turned that into ten yards. That's kind of what I'm trying to do, is turn small catches into big yards and things like that. And I continue doing that and ultimately I've been getting a little more opportunity.
Speaker 1: Trey, where is your confidence level right now? Would you say your confidence level right now is as high as it's been since you've come into the league.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, you know, I feel like just having that opportunity, getting able, knowing that I can catch, you know, ten balls in a game, now, knowing I can put up one hundred yards in a game, things like that, just building that confidence. It kind of feels like I'm back in college again, you know what it felt like the last couple of weeks. So it's been fun, it's been it's been good. But at the same time, I got to be consistent, got to keep doing it week in and week out to show these guys that it's not just here and there thing.
Speaker 4: So over the past three games, you have one hundred and eighty six receiving yards, which is fourth most by any NFL tight end since weeks. Think about that, and then, of course the kap Ra was that game against Baltimore. Here's your head coach, Jonathan Gannon on your performance.
Speaker 6: He played fantastic. He had a heck of a game, made plays when his number was called, make some big time catches, really good blocker. Really not surprised he's been coming along. He hasn't been improving his game every day, and he had a really good game.
Speaker 4: We'll get back to the seventeen yard touchdown catch where he had a lot of help from your three hundred pound friends. But there was a catch you didn't make at a high degree of difficulty, and man, were you frustrated with yourself on the sideline. Just tell us about that moment.
Speaker 10: Yeah, gosh, man, I know I can make that play.
Speaker 1: That's what frustrated me.
Speaker 10: I was just a drop guy hit my arm right when I had the ball and just frustrated me because I know I can make that play. You know, nine out of ten times I make that play. In that one time he got me. So I was just more frustrated with myself and I was glad that the didn't let that affect my game. And you know, I was able to have a couple or catches after that, But ultimately, you know that I just I feel like I can catch every ball, and when I don't, I get real, real frustrated at myself sometimes.
Speaker 1: Trey, what is your weight at right now? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Way about two forty five. You know, I kind of teeter between two forty and two fifty, but I'm kind of right around that two forty five range.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I like you at two six now. I'm just kidding, just kidding. Your blocking is getting better, and Jag even was commenting on that as well. This is really important to me because I see you as a stud tight end. I've talked to you about this in the past. I see you as a stud tight end, as a why a guy that can line up on the hip of the tackle and right on the line of scrimmage and come off the ball and attack at the point of attack and hold up and be a George Kittle if you will. And yet I see you also as a guy that can move and be that weapon offensively here. But do you see yourself as a stud tight ad?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I feel like I can. I can put my hand in the dirt and I can I can make plays in the run game as well.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: I think that's a huge part of being a tight end is being able to block. And I think that's what's really helped me in the past game is his run action. These run action plays that we that we keep calling up has been wide open for me because of that effect that I've had in the run game. They have to respect the run, those safeties come down and then we can usually hit the big one over the top.
Speaker 1: So, Trey, you have a desire to be a better blocker, don't you. Yeah?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, you know I think I'm always you got to be a good blocker. You got to those guys, you know, running running the ball is a huge part of the game, So you got to be effective in the run game. And if you can have a good run game, your pass game is gonna be awesome as well.
Speaker 4: When you've been used as an h back or even as a full back in different formations, because we know Drew Pets and you know he's very multiple with the way he goes about as often. What's that like for you? Has there been a learning curve with that?
Speaker 10: No, I mean I did a little bit of that in college. I was, you know, played a little fullback and stuff in college. So it's not something I specialize in. It's not something I do that. But I can definitely go in there and block somebody. I can run routes from the backfield. I can do things like that, and it actually works out really well because sometimes when you lined up in the backfield, you get matchups with linebackers, and I feel like that's a favorable matchup for me. So that's something that I kind of enjoy doing. I've been willing to do that and it's really helped our team.
Speaker 1: Try talk to us a little bit about to the Browns defense and in particular their past defense.
Speaker 10: They're really good, Yeah, yeah, they are. They're very tough defense. They have a very very good up front. You know, obviously they have ninety nine Smith from that they traded from from the Vikings. They obviously have Miles Garrett who's an elite you know player playing at a really high level.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 10: You go their back, their backfield, they got linebackers that are fast, a little smaller linebackers, but they play real fast, they play hard, and then they got you know, their their dbs, they got war, they got their safeties are all pros. I mean, they got a lot of really good players back there. So it's a very tough defense, something that you know a challenge for us, but something I'm really looking forward to to, you know, play back to back really good defenses and hopefully, you know, put up good number.
Speaker 4: Trey McBride is our guest here on The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert So if rookie Clayton Tune is your quarterback on Sunday. Do you think that Jim Schwartz defense will dial it up for the sake of dialing it up, get exotic just because there is a rookie back there trying to show everything except the kitchen sink.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I definitely think that's exactly what we're expecting to happen. You know, with the rookie quarterback, a guy who doesn't have a ton of experience, you're expecting a lot of pressure, a lot of different exotic looks, different things that he hasn't seen. But at the same time, you know, Clayton's been great, he's prepared well. I feel like he's very prepared to go in this game. If he's the guy that we're going with, he's going to be prepared and going to play a great game for us.
Speaker 1: So as you watch tape of the Cleveland Browns, of course and their past defense in particular rundown situation first in ten second, one to six, what kind of coverages are they showing right now?
Speaker 10: Yeah, they have a lot of different things, but they really run a lot of single high whether that's man demand that you're gonna get or they run a lot of Cover three, so you're gonna get a lot of single high with a change up of cover two. But you're gonna get a lot of single high, a lot of different looks. But yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. They do a lot of different things. Miles Garrett's obviously huge point in that off or that defense, so we're gonna have to stop him and you know, go from there.
Speaker 4: I mean, think of some of the guys you've gone against already this year, Micah Parsons, Nick Bosa, right, the Aaron Donald's. How often are you asked to chip against some of those premier guys.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, it feels like every game I'm in there chipping or sometimes you know, have those guys in past pro. It's not not something I specialize in, but something you know, I gotta do every once in a while to make sure that we can get the ball downfield. You know, if I gotta chip them and slow them down to get Hollywood open or someone downfield, that's what I'll do. So that's exactly what it's been. And sometimes those checkdowns, you know, chip and run a flat. Sometimes they sink and that check down, you catch for five yards, you can kind of turn into ten fifteen yards every once in a while. So something that will do a lot this game. It will be fun.
Speaker 1: As you look at some of the edge guys that you've played against already, how does Miles Garrett stack up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no doubt he's He's playing at a very very high level. You know, I say he's definitely up there at the top. He's playing at an elite level right now. He's a stud. He's done a lot of things. He plays all over the ball, he plays in linebacker, he moves around, he does all kinds of things with him. So it's going to be a great matchup. I'm excited to see, you know, how we handle him.
Speaker 4: And look, we're going to find out a lot about Clayton Tune if indeed he's the guy on Sunday. What do you think we know already? For example, I've gone around the locker room guys like, hey, he's mobile. Now, he can extend plays. You know, what else do you think you've seen from his skill set? Because we saw a lot of him in August in the preseason as well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's definitely mobile. He's a guy who can make plays with his feet, but he's confident. He throws the ball really well, and he's he's got a powerful arm. You know, he's a guy who can get the ball downfield. He's a guy who's accurate, will throw the ball where it needs to be, and he's a leader. I think he's done a great job, you know, coordinating the huddle, being dominant in the huddle. You know, his canes has been great. He feels confident and everything like that. And just seeing that from one of his teammates, it's it's very promising to see Trey.
Speaker 1: Where do you think your offense needs to improve the most? If you could pick one thing where the offense collectively, not individually, but collectively needs to.
Speaker 10: Improve, Yeah, I think just executing plays. I think we're you know, Drew does a great job of collin plays. He does a great job of mixing up run and pass and things like that. But I think just executing on little things like that, whether it's in pass pro, whether it's running the ball, whatever it is, finishing a play. We've done a great job in the run game, but there's just a little bit left out there that we can be better at. There's done a good job in the pass game, but there's just more out there that we're leaving on the field. So just just having that little extra strain each game and continue going, and I think it'll be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wolf knows we're on doing his TV show this week. Jonathan Ganna said, Look, in known pass situations, we have to be better when there's no threat of the run and they know we're throwing the ball. We got to improve in that area. So we'll see if that happens. On Sunday. Everyone out there is asking us ask him about Kyler Murray. What have you seen about Kyler so far?
Speaker 10: You know, I've seen just a little bit we see of him in practice. He's done a great job.
Speaker 1: He's uh.
Speaker 10: He's definitely the same Kyler Murray he was before the before the injury. He's fast, he's elite, he throws the ball well, and he's uh. He's done a great job back there. I'm super excited to as he keeps inching back. It's going to be a great time when he gets back.
Speaker 4: And Wolf, I saw where he got the ball back. Trey McBride after the rugby scrum touchdown. He threw the ball into the stands and the equipment guy's got the ball back for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 10: I don't know how they got it. I thought I threw that thing into the next stadium over, you know, I threw that thing so high. But yeah, those equipment guys did a great job got it back for me. So I'm excited to take that one home.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll see on the team plane. Enjoyed it, Thanks Trey, yere right, thank you there God by the way, speaking to Jonathan again and watch Cardinals game plan Friday six thirty twelve News. We talked to JG about everything. Trey McBride, our special guests. We continue with a big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Just so folks out there know we're back here during the break trying to come up with all these things to say. If Sheldrik red Wine makes him play, we are okay. We've got to give full credit to our producer, Jimal Mahundro saying if he if he makes a play, say that he pressed his grapes or that they bottled up red wine.
Speaker 1: Sheldrick red Wine, and what did you say he got corked? Yeah, stick a cork at him.
Speaker 3: Red Wine pressed his grapes and he got fermented at the thirty yard line. Is what we do during my.
Speaker 5: He was red wine got fermented on that nine route.
Speaker 3: Just so people out there listening, No, this is what we do during commercials.
Speaker 4: Well, you don't have to ask play by playman Extraordinaire Dave Pash nor our producer Jim Amundro twice to talk wine. Okay, I mean these guys like talking and drinking a little veno here and there. So Sheldrick red who was a Cleveland Brown safety when the Cardinals played the Browns in twenty nineteen. He's currently on the Cowboys practice squad, so he was the subject of much speculation during.
Speaker 1: One of the commercial breaks.
Speaker 4: So you guys are entertaining yourselves if nothing else, right, Wolf.
Speaker 1: He got fermented, Paul up. That was my favorite. All right, that was it. There's just so much you can read into that, bully.
Speaker 4: So how did the Cardinals bottle up that number two rank run game by the Cleveland Browns? That is one question we have to pose here and what scares you the most before we get to the Cleveland defense and we here from Jonathan Gannon, what scares you the most about this Brown's offense when you look at.
Speaker 1: It, just how physical they are. Once again, this is very, very similar to the Baltimore Ravens and how the Baltimore Ravens attack a defense. They're going to be more under center, I would imagine Deshaun Watson. I think this is just me guessing, but I think he's probably going to be right to play on Sunday. I know that he was out there throwing during the week. Of course, yesterday was out there practicing. So we'll see how that goes with Deshaun Watson. But really doesn't matter, Pelly, because whether it's Deshaun Watson or whatever quarterback, they're going to run out there. To me, right now, it's twelve and it's thirteen personnel. This is what they do an awful lot of They're in eleven personnel from time to time, but it truly is thirteen personnel. It's twenty one personnel as well. Twenty personnel. They go with a lot of two back and they hammer you. That's what they do. It's very similar to the Baltimore Ravens, I would say, offensively and even defensively. The physicality level on both sides of the ball is ravenesque.
Speaker 4: And they have a heavy screen game, so you know the user. Here's the thing. Cleveland is four and three despite being minus seven in the turnover ratio. They have seventeen giveaways. That's an NFL high. Somehow they've won four seven games despite that stat. Now, if you look at their defense and you cited everything and it's apped right, number one in total D, passing D third down defense. But the past two weekends, you know, past two games, they've allowed sixty two points in over eight hundred total yards, and three games in a row they've given up an opening drive touchdown. So we'll see exactly what the Cardinals encounter. Here's what Jonathan Gannon knows he's getting in the entire Cleveland defense.
Speaker 6: Their whole defense. I mean, you know, coach Schwartz is one of the best to ever do it. They're fast, aggressive, they got really good players on all three levels. They're connected with how they play because it's a little bit different style than ours. But they're one of the top defenses in the NFL. We got a big challenge ahead.
Speaker 4: And I'll say this week four, Lamar Jackson without six starters on offense, right, missing his top two receivers, his top two tackles. He went in there when fifteen to nineteen at two touchdowns, throwing two touchdowns running. So if it's Clayton Tune or Kyler, you know that quarterback run game might be effective against the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I definitely would say you're right on that, Polley. I also would say that they haven't been good. This is really weird. You've got a defense that is the number one defense on third down. Would just say that's a big metric. Paull third down and getting off. Their third down percentage is number one in the National Football League. They give up the least amount of first downs per game, number one in first downs allowed. And yet at the same time, once you get into the red zone, that's where their defense is breaking down. Their number twenty nine in in red zone situations, Paul number twenty nine, and then number thirty two in goal to go. So just the opposite of the Baltimore Ravens, who were number two in the red zone and number one in goal to go last week. Now of a sudden, you're taking on the Cleveland Browns, and the Browns are horrible at red zone and in gold goal so that's been their problem right now. But out on the field, they've been pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know who's really really good is Miles Garrett, of course, and he definitely merits a mention. He might be your NFL Defensive Player of the Year third in sacks, has the most sacks of any player ever before the age of twenty eight. He just eclipped what's that guy's name, Reggie White. Yeah, he was pretty good. So Miles Garrett is a very dynamic player, and he'll come off either edge of the Cardinals offensive line. Beyond that, I mean, you have a Cleveland defense that really is just known for being ultra physical. And we see if the Cardinals can run the ball. And once again, we know the Browns can run the ball. The last three games they've run for one hundred and fifty plus. So well, if this game might be done in two and a half hours for all we know, if both offenses come out there and just commit to the run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing you say that, Pauly, because that's exactly what I think we're gonna see. Jerome Forward, of course, is a guy, he's questionable, but this is a guy that is capable of running the ball. Anytime he got a guy who's five ' ten two twenty, I like you. I like you immediately, Kareem Hunt as well as a guy that we're gonna see. Obviously, Nick Chubb is done for the season with that incredibly horrific injury that he's suffered. But this is a very good run blocking offensive line that the Cleveland Browns have. They're not great in terms of pass protection poly as a matter of fact, they're not very good at all. They give up an awful lot of pressures and they give up some sacks number twenty five in sacks per attempt by way of example. So they want to run the ball. That's what they are. They're number two in number ten, number two in rushing yards per game, and number ten and rushing yards per play. They're gonna line up and they're gonna attack the line of scrimmage and they're gonna hammer you with power personnel groups. This is who they are. And then they'll use the power of play action, especially with Deshaun Watson, he's so good at it. They'll use that to throw the ball and take some shots down the field. But this is a run first team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last week in a win against actually in a loss, I'm sorry against Seattle right a game they led twenty to seventeen with two minutes to play and lost twenty four to twenty. They won time of possession thirty seven to twenty three. They went out and ran it forty times for a buck fifty five on the ground. And to your point, Nick Chubb done for the year. Their two time All Pro offensive tackle Jack Conklin a season inning knee injury as well. Yet they went out there with Kareem Hunt, Preerre Strong Junior and Jerome Ford and they had one hundred and thirty seven yards from those three running backs. So there's no doubt that's the identity of that offense. And if they're trying to protect their quarterback Deshaun Watson, then guess what. Here it comes and you got to be able to stop it. And we saw Gus Edwards have success, we saw the Rams have success, and of course Christian McCaffrey have success in the last few games against the Cardinals when it comes to running the football as always, special thanks Jim Almandro, Cody Fincher, Jackson, Zuber, Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic. Special thanks to Trey McBride, our special guest. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek your ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club