Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The eighty two game preseason is in the books and is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, os, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill, Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and nine Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on the amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuing CEE dknng dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, Thank you for staying oh wait late with us tonight for another episode of Nightcap. I am your favorite Uncle, Shannon Sharp. He's your favorite number eighty five Route Runner, Extraordinay Bengal Ring of Fame, Honotere, Pro Bowl, All Pro Liberty Cities own via Oregon State. Hey, he's Chad O, Jo Sinko, Risotto, Hyphen Johnson.
Speaker 3: You like that? You like that? Please? I like that?
Speaker 5: Like that? Please?
Speaker 2: Guys, please make sure you hit that like button. Please make sure you subscribe, and thank you for joining us again. I want to reiterate that. Guys, we're being nominated for a Shorty Award Best Sports Podcast.
Speaker 3: Guy. You've been amazing. We've won too.
Speaker 2: I think we want a couple of Webby Awards and it's all because of you, So please we encourage you. We pen the link at the top of the chat we please encourage you to go out and vote for us. Thank you, thank you so much, and then you know what, head on over the Apple podcast and leave a comment so we'll know what we're doing good, what we can do better because we're always searching for ways to improve. Thank you for selling out, Shay by Laportier. We pinned the link at the top of the chat. We're only taking pre orders. They assured me that they got twelve thousand orders taken care of with a few more to go, so hopefully we'll have everything cleaned up with in the incoming weeks. And again, thank you for your patience. Guys, we don't want to waste any of your time. The NFL Draft was tonight. NBA y'all might need to rethink things, and when the draft is on, y'all move y'all playoff games to another day because I can imagine what these ratings were like. The Chicago Bears the worst kept secret in the draft. The Chicago Bears selected Caleb Williams out of the University of Southern cal oh cho really no surprises. Early on, Jaye dails with three. Marvin Harrison went for Joe Awwen. I like this pick by the charges. We'll get into that a little later. Elite Neighbors goes to the jet the Giants, jac Latham Tackle goes to Tennessee, the Shaker, Michael Pennix Junior going to the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, that was a shocker to you.
Speaker 2: They just gave Kirk Cousins one hundred and fifty million with eighty million guarantee.
Speaker 3: That's not a shocker to you.
Speaker 1: No, that's not a shocker to me, because they still need the quarterback to secure their future and they don't believe in Desmond Ritters. So obviously, listen, listen, you paid Kirk Cousins the type of money you had, You had to overpay for Kirk Cousins, but you still had to secure your quarterback for the future. Because that's not Kirk Cousins, who's coming off of Achilles, who is coming off of Achilles injury.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: If that's your case, Why pending that kind of money if he's not the quarterback of your future? Why are you paying a quarterback that's not the quarterback of your future one hundred and fifty million?
Speaker 1: Because you understand unk you understand the position that they were in. As for the Falcons. They have to pay somebody.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: There was no there was no other There was no other quarterback to pay their quarterback. Hello, so you have to pay for he's not your quarterback of the future. Why not get a stop gap, a stop gap, a filling in, knowing that he's not gonna be long term.
Speaker 1: They just had fillings.
Speaker 3: Basically, they what Kirk Cousins did.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Now you you know, you know Kirk Cousins will give you what you want in the regular seasons on the quarterback position. You know that, you know that. But listen, you know you know what Kirk Cousin is going to give you doing the regular season. They gonna put up numbers offensively. And that's that is what they That's what they paid for. And you know they had to overpay case.
Speaker 2: I'm ask you this, if I know what Kirk's Cousins's gonna give me, I gave him one hundred and eighty million. I gave him fifty million at the time of signing. I gave him a hundred million fully guaranteed. Why'd you have a penny if I know what Kirk Cousin's gonna give me?
Speaker 1: Because Penning Jr. Is the future quarterback for he's a feeling for right now.
Speaker 2: So you pay one hundred and eighty million dollars for a fill in? Yes, that's what you have to do. That's the that's the nature of the business. You know. You know.
Speaker 1: Wait, let me let me tell you something. Let me know, let me tell you something. You know what else is the nature of the business. And it's perfect, which has always been in Kirk cousins favor. Grace has always been on Kirk Cousins side. Timing. Timing is everything I get. The timing is of the essence. And for some reason, every time it's time for Kirk Cousins to get paid. The timing and the strategic ways and the way he goes about business, he's always been on the winning side.
Speaker 2: Understand, always been on the understand. Washington franchising, Okay, let's see what he can do. Franchise him again.
Speaker 1: We bet he betting on himself, He bet ONCI.
Speaker 2: I get Minnesota because Minnesota said, Hey, with what we have defensively and the skill positions we have, I like Kirk Cousins long term, so we're gonna give him this money. What I don't understan saying is that you give it quarterback one hundred and eighty million. You're given fifty million at the time of signing, you fully guarantee one hundred million dollars, and you take a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Right, So what is that telling you? That that's telling you exactly exactly what I'm saying. They're taking a quarterback for the reason to secure their future. But one again, he's coming. They gave him a hundred eighty million. They didn't have a choice, nobody, there was nobody else. You just you telling me in the chat that Kirk Cousin is a stop gap. Why Fate Penn spend one hundred and eighty million for a stop gap? Because you know what you get from in the regular season. They haven't about it.
Speaker 3: One season is a stop gap. It's stop long term.
Speaker 1: You're not You got to stay with me that Michael Mike Mike is Michael Penning Jr. Is going to be the quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons for ten plus years. How much longer is Kirk Cousins going to play? No, we're gonna allowed We're going to allow Michael Pitting Jr. To sit behind Kirk Cousins for a year maybe two, three, it ain't happening. Three years is not happening. And Michael Pitting Jr. Is gonna learn from Kirk Cousins the same way. Patrick Mahomes sat behind one to you, I guarantee you it's gonna pan out just like that. I guarantee you, Cousin.
Speaker 2: But but Smith, Alex Smith wasn't on one hundred and eighty million with one hundred million guarantees.
Speaker 1: I know, I know we can. We can't focus on the numbers because you know, the market goes up every every every the cap goes up every season. Oh okay, timing at the time and everything.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with the timing, but if you it doesn't make any sense for you to spend this kind of money for to usbody.
Speaker 1: But but but the owner ownership is done. That's why they paid it, and that's why they still drafted the coer thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm looking and I think everybody is is confused by this. Everybody says that where you spend this kind of money on the quarterback that's supposed to be your future.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a question, who's the future. Here's the who's the future in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know that is still up in the air now. I think Russell Wilson is going to have a good season this year. I know he's gonna have a good seaton this year, and he's gonna go elsewhere and get another get another starting job. I think I would assume Justin Fields is the answer for there. I would assume they didn't again, they didn't pick up the fifth year option. So again I don't I don't know. I don't know what Tomland and the Rooney family is thinking on that end. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I was just shrinking.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I would think if Russell Wilson was their future, they will secure him long term. I would assume.
Speaker 1: But wait, wait, we we we will know if Russell Wilson is their future depending on the season he has this year, which I'm which I'm assuming will be good as long as it's not against the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Caleb Williams goes number one overall. Jane Daniels, I mean quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: The first three picks, we thought we would see a run of quarterbacks six picks the first time, and the draft lottery that we've had six quarterbacks go in the first twelve picks.
Speaker 3: I don't think, but it shows that. It goes to show you think about it.
Speaker 2: Here, quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, wide receiver, O T wide receiver, O T quarterback, wide receiver, quarterback, uh tackle, quarterback, tight end. You see you see where? You see what when you see what? Where the league is headed offense offense off Remember it.
Speaker 3: Used to be a run.
Speaker 2: You might have a quarterback and then you have a run of defensive player trying to stop it. Seems to me they're like, well, you know what, what the rules, the rules of what the rules are. Let me try to reinforce for strength. Let me go in and build this thing up. Hey, we got an arsenal, and you know what, let's get some more arsenals. Let's get some more players, Let's get some more uh heavy artillery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what, I think there were there was some very good defensive players in the draft. I don't think there were many that warranted or were good enough to go ahead of the office of players that were available, and you got to think about some of the needs as some of these teams went after. Obviously, the needs were at the quarterback position, because everything starts from the quarterback position before you feel any other roster spot. And I see, I think that the first ten, maybe the first ten, eleven, twelve picks were needs that those teams needed very badly to continue to compete. And if you want to be a contender, they did what they needed to do.
Speaker 3: And Field hole, Yeah, I'm looking at Justin Field.
Speaker 2: Say, hold on, y'all get all of a sudden, y'all trade for Kenny william y'all get Roman Duze?
Speaker 3: Hold on? What was this when I was there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the longest time.
Speaker 2: I didn't have nothing. I only had DJ Mark for a year. And now y'all give this guy Dj Moore, y'all give him, and y'all go get a quarterback in the first round, Roman Duze. And you who still got Cole commit? At Cole commit?
Speaker 3: So like, whoa, whoa? What what? What? What about your boy?
Speaker 1: Well, at some at some point you got to do right. At some point you could it's like your girl, you right about that, But at some point you have to do right. There are a few organizations that have to do right by that quarterback if they want to see success. The Bears haven't done right by that quarterback their quarterbacks in a very very long time, very very long time. So it's about time. And again with that that that statement Kayler Williams made long before it was time for the draft. You remember, if I got to go, if I got to go to so and so, I'll probably go back to school if necessary.
Speaker 3: You didn't.
Speaker 1: But what I know, nobody, nobody believe it, but still just put it out there in the universe. Listen, owners understand, Listen, we gotta we gotta take a seat, we gotta take that.
Speaker 3: It presented itself.
Speaker 2: This man was not going back to school because all you do is delay getting to that big money. You can get to the big money after the third year. So why would I go back to school for another year? Now I'm gonna get forty million. His entire rookie contract is about to be guaranteed. You mean to tell me that a kid would go back to school. Now, I don't know his financial situation. He could have gone back, but forty years guaranteed within a three year turn, I can turn around to get a quarter of a billion, maybe three hundred million. But I'm gonna go back to school because I got a five million dollar nil deal and I don't particular he might want to go to the place that draft me number one.
Speaker 3: Overall, nobody believed that. Everybody called bull drive from the jump.
Speaker 1: I like, you know, I'm happy that organization is getting it right. They doing it right now. If we can just do if we can get if we can get the Jets organization to do right, because Aaron Rodgers is not the answer for the for sea of your future, you know, as far as long term is concerned, and we can get the it's one more team that doesn't do right by that quarterback position. Now, I'll think about it, but I'll come back.
Speaker 3: I like what the Jets did.
Speaker 2: They got Tyrens million free agency. They gonna put him at left tackle. The gott time put him at right tackle. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if Aaron Rodgers is on his back from the back. You could have all the still position players that you want, but somehow somebody got a protective That's why I love what the Chargers did. The Charger says, you know what, we got Rashawn Slater, one of the better young tackle that left tackle. We bringing Joe All. We secured that and so now we can go play football. We can throw the ball with our quarterback being protected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what I do like also with that for the Chargers, they let Kenny Allen go. So there were so many receivers on the board. So this is the alarm and alert. Quentin Johnson, Quentin Johnson, I know you're gonna see this.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 1: It's your time. Yeah, it's your time. They didn't take a receiver because they believe in you. So it's your time to show up and show out. They realized the get They just gave you the torch. The torch is yours. Now you are the number one.
Speaker 2: I said, Now, look at all these receivers that he had before, and he couldn't throw because he's on his back.
Speaker 3: So let me get somebody to stabilize the edges.
Speaker 2: And now maybe we maybe we're not trying to, maybe he's not throwing for seventeen thousand yards a game, but we're winning and we're protected. Now that defense is gonna have to live up till it's billing. You got a Joey Bosa, you got Khalil Mack, you got a Derwin James. God, it's time loaded Samuel Jr. It is time for you guys to to to make some noise. It's too much talent over there now. I believe Jim Harbaugh will get more out of them than their previous day.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get it right.
Speaker 2: But that's too much talent over there, O Joe, for them not to miss, to miss the playoffs and be middling around like they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jade Daniels goes to the Commanders. I like this. I like this pick.
Speaker 2: I like Drake may out of all this postures about older Patriots who listened to the offers for what offers for what. You need a quarterback, You need a quarterback, You need a quarterback, and this was one was available. Marvin Ason Jr.
Speaker 3: I like that pick. Like I said, I like Joe All going to the Chargers.
Speaker 2: I like that Tyron Smith on the left side, Joe, who was a left tackle, He's gonna move to the right side. And guess what when Tyron Smith retires, he kicks back over to the right left side.
Speaker 3: I like Tennessee Titans. I like Latham.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They got to protect the quarterback, whomever that may be. Michael pen But this is where it got interesting at O Joe, you and I have touched on this. He went number eight. I mean it was a shocker. I mean everybody was shocked because we're they're surprised. It's kind of like, hold on, it would have been like Miami paying Tyreek all that money and then turn around and draft and receive in the first round.
Speaker 1: Right, I understand what was hold on, Joe?
Speaker 2: They got, they got, they got Tyreek. They just gave Tyreek BURDI you tell me they are secure.
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 2: But I think that's the only shocker for me when I when you go back to, oh, this is what cousin agent said. Yes, it was a big surprise. We had no idea, idea this was coming. The truth is the whole league had no idea this was coming. We got no heads up. Kurt got no call from the Falcons when they were on the clock. That was the first we heard. It never came up in any conversations.
Speaker 1: Now, So what does that tell What does that tell you? That tells you all you need? That tells you exactly what I just sound don't. We didn't have a choice but to pay you the money you did because it's what you commanded and what you warranted based on the production of what you put in in previous years.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's what the market was based on who Kirk Cousins is and his resume. But we had to pay you that. But we don't see you as a quarterback for the foresee of your future. So we're gonna have to draft what's best on the board. The next best thing, and that was Michael Penning Junior.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: You spend thirty million dollar four house, are you expecting to do renovations? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so glad you just said that. I am so glad you just said that. I have a very good friend of mine.
Speaker 3: You might know him.
Speaker 1: We call him the Biggest Boss. His name is Rick Ross. He just bought a house on Star Island for thirty seven million dollars and guess what he did to it. Tore it down and renovating it. Yes, come on now, talk to me. Tore it, tore down a thirty seven million dollar house.
Speaker 2: To nothing and is renovating it and putting another fifty into You heard about that, great, great, great example.
Speaker 3: I'm not great, great example.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you say.
Speaker 2: What somebody did with their money, But I'm not saying that's the most fiscally responsible thing to do.
Speaker 1: Possible, right right, right?
Speaker 3: Boss, Hey, we love you.
Speaker 2: That's your money, them your pocket and I ain't count nobody in pockets. I don't believe that's the best use of thirty seven million, but that's his money. But when I look at what I look at, O Joe, that's that's the only thing. Look, there are certain players.
Speaker 3: I think you give a heads up to a home, right Brady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I don't think Brady got a heads up when they selected Jimmy G.
Speaker 3: Garoppolo. No, he didn't.
Speaker 1: But we got to understand as a starting quarterback of a franchise, you don't want to be looking over your shoulder with that kind of pressure and knowing at any minute, if I'm playing bad, that the chance so and so could be starting. That is why Garoppolo had to be shipped off, or that's why I had.
Speaker 3: To be shipped off an injury, because you remember how Tom got the job.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you blessed so getting hurt with more Williams hitting, that's more Lewis, mo Lewis, I'm sorry, Joe quarterback like to take every snap, Neil downs and everything.
Speaker 3: I don't want you looking at my potential successor. You're gonna go into it blind.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have no idea what this guy is capable of, because I'm not gonna let him get on the deal.
Speaker 3: Even when it comes to Niel down. No, I got this victory.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 3: I'm perfectly fine taking the staff and getting getting the kneel down. Oh Joe, the giants, you like it. I don't like Malik because whos gonna get it? Who's gonna get in the ball No? I like Neighbors. I think he's phenomenal. Who's gonna get it? Oh? Yeah, the ball.
Speaker 1: Man brother brother Daniel Jones. Now listen, I know, I know what you're gonna say. I know what you're gonna say. But I like the pairing. I like the pairing of Jalen Hyatt and Malik, Neighbors, Sterling Shepard as well. Sterling is still there, right, But I don't wanna. I don't want to speak too fast. Yeah, okay, okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: I like the trio.
Speaker 1: Now, you might not be too fond of Daniel Jones. I don't think anybody, but sometimes Ray, they probably aren't. But listen, some some times you get a receiver. Sometimes you get a receiver that makes the quarterback better. Sometimes you have quarterbacks that make the receivers better. I think Malik Neighbors is this kind of receiver that makes Daniel Jones that much better that that that's just how I feel. I feel you have a receiver that is great and intermediate deep routes, being able to run everything short beat Man the Man. Then you have Jalen Hyde who is also a speezer. So there's so many different things that you can do, especially with Sterling Shepherd being able to command and understanding how to run their intermediate stuff as well being able to sit down his own and making Daniel Jones job easy where he doesn't have to be Superman and put on his cape because the supporting cast has just gotten that much better around him.
Speaker 2: But I could be wrong, but here's the thing. They've never asked him to be Superman. Hell Day ask him to be Clark Clark Kent and hell he was playing like los Lane.
Speaker 3: What you mean.
Speaker 2: They didn't ask him to be They didn't ask him to be special. They just asked not to turn the ball over and not to take so many sacks. I mean, sometimes you know, quarterbacks getting They're always trying to make the big play, and sometimes you have to get out of your way. It's okay, it's okay to hit the single. Sometimes it's okay to walk. It's okay to throw the ball out of bounds. On Joe, you can't make every play, but you putting the ball in harm's way, or taking a sack that's potentially taking us out of field goal range, or put us putting us in third and ten, third and fifteen when we could have been it could have when it could have been thirty five.
Speaker 3: So that those are some of the things. Daniel Jones' the starter they got.
Speaker 2: They got Drew Lock, remember I think they got Drew Lock, and they got Tommy DeVito running backs to the Devin single, Teary Edic Gray, Gary Brightwell, and they got Melik Neighbors, Jaln Hyatt, Gnna o'ceewski, Darius Layton, Isaiah Mackenzie, Miles boykend Wandale Robinson, Isaiah. Obviously, all these all these guys are not gonna beat there all the because it's got no receivers.
Speaker 1: You normally keep wait, you you you, you ain't even say Sterling Shepherd name, so he's not there anymore.
Speaker 2: I think that he might have left in free agency. Oh ship, damn well, I wonder who did? I wonder who gonna be the number three? Well, Molik neighbors Jalen hyat they still have slaves, they still have Mackensie. Yeah, okay, they still got one Dale Robinson who played well, So that's gonna be That's gonna be very very interesting. Uh. I wonder how the I wonder how the Giants fans failed about that, because, like I said, I was watching you. I didn't have the sound on, so I didn't know if there was boos going on, if there were cheers with I'm sure they were cheering the selection, but I probably I think Giants fan probably wanted a quarterback in that spot. Minnesota traded up with the Jazz to take JJ McCartney with them ten J. J. Mccarth, excuse me, uh with the ten slot, and bow Knicks went to the Broncos. I don't think we're surprised by that. We know they need a quarterback. He's taking the quarterback of the future. The Raiders didn't move at all and got brought byers landed in their lap. Now he with the Dante with Davante Adam and uh yeah, what's the guy the other guy from the New England they got Miles Uh uh, he was a he was a quarterback in college. I forget his name came from the Patriots.
Speaker 3: I don't know Myers. You know what I thought.
Speaker 1: You know what I thought.
Speaker 3: I said.
Speaker 1: I said it right before, right before the right before the draft started, or when it was time for the number two six. I was like, I tweeted, I tweeted out, I wonder if the Raider's gonna be able to sneak up the number two because I know, I know Antonio appears.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, that wouldn't trade that gonna Joe, because think about how long they waited to get a quarterback. You know, for whatever reason, Haskins he might have been able to, but you know, tragically he lost his life. RG three situation RG three, I think Jacoby Myers, that's the guy, Jacoby Myers the other.
Speaker 3: Yah, yeah, he's with Demante so and so.
Speaker 2: I just knew because they this kid five thousand yards passing four or five, you know, almost thousand yards. Well he had four thousand yards passing all those touchdowns. He was sensational and yeah, to take that and say, well, you know what, we're gonna build a team. You can build whatever you want to without the foundation. That housein't nothing nothing without that quarterback. Think about it.
Speaker 3: They no matter what they do, they take mahomes whatever. As long as they got.
Speaker 2: My homes, Kansas City's gonna be dangerous. Ain't very many teams can lose a receiver of Tyreek's caliber caliber, Yeah, and still win an m v P and back to back too over MVP.
Speaker 3: That's a rarity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go, but you listen, you got to have that special pieces, yes, yes, right, you got to get it. And you know, you know the funny thing. The funny thing is about the draft. The funny thing about the first round. Like everything that's toss up, it's a gamble. There's no you never know if everybody's going to pan out. You just hope so. And by doing that, you got to build the pieces around them, you know, to give the players the best chances to succeed.
Speaker 2: Uh. The Chiefs Wide Receiver Room Hollywood Brown for Tow seven worthy, the fastest combined time and in the NFL history four two one, Rashi Rice four five to one he's probably gonna miss a couple of games. Oo, we don't need to get to I.
Speaker 1: Say about two. I saw, I saw a report about a couple couple of games.
Speaker 2: Is too Yes, uh, you still got your have who I believe is the go tight end still playing at a screen high level. You got that guy one five. As long as you got one five, you got a chance. Now I think they should go into the draft and get a big receiver. You gotta have one, Ojo. You gotta have one fixed one.
Speaker 1: What you got you got one for she rights.
Speaker 3: It ain't little I told you think is.
Speaker 1: But listen, wait before you even say anything. I'm not even joking. Every time I see him on TV, I swore he had to be about six too.
Speaker 2: Don't think that rites probably about six foot if that, he looks small than me, Ojo.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I don't. I don't know. He looked like like not he's not as big as Dwayne bow.
Speaker 3: Was huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looked like a big receiver.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think. I don't think of that big hold on, pull up his stash right quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah they got that?
Speaker 3: How much?
Speaker 1: That's a good side? You mean like you mean like you want you mean like six three six, folks, No, I was.
Speaker 2: Six to is fire. But you know what, Hair's the thing. I think the thing that threw me off is that he catches a lot of smoke screens. They don't use him like a typical like like Davonte Davante if an average five receist sixty one, but he's outside, he's running come back, he running DEEG routes, he's running square out, he's doing and RACEI ris. A lot of his stuff is bubble screen, smoke, jail break screens and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: So you don't look. Then you go right.
Speaker 1: You remember you got to sometimes when you have a receiver that is not good at certain things, you got to be able to have him and use them in different ways. You got to understand, Davonte Adams is an elite route runner. He's the release pre release guy. He getting off that too. Listen, Rashi rice might that might not be a strength. So they use them to his strengths. You know, I'm not gonna say hi to you know, you can hide your quarterback a little bit, you try to. You can do that with you Yeah, you can do that with receivers as well. When they're not good as something. If you look at it, Ohoe, I think we had a record. Twenty three offensive players were taken in the first thirty two picks, including several wide receivers and six quarterbacks. The first defensive player came off the edge. He was a Jared verse La no no hold on Dallas Turner no Latu Latu was the first.
Speaker 2: Fifty Yeah, fifteen, and then you had Byron Murphy.
Speaker 3: You had a run of defenders. Byron Murphy DT from Texas.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, Dallas Turner Edge Alabama, and then you had Verse the Rams from Florida State and he had another chop. Robinson went to Miami. And we understand it because Brandley Chubb injury. You know, the other guy on the author side. He's coming off the injury. So you've got the final way to generate pressure. Hey remember they got rid of a Za, they got rid of Howard. Yeah, so they lost some defensive players. Now they get a healthy Jay Ram back. So after you know he came back in the season and played well, he'll be even better because he has an opportunity that you.
Speaker 3: Trained and not rehab so he'll be he'll ram. I'm not worried about him.
Speaker 2: I think he'll be I think he'll be really good and pick up and get back to the all the all pro status.
Speaker 1: So I like I like the Eagles pick Young Bull. I like Young Bull from.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: And he's so nice too. He's so nice. I don't care. I don't care nothing about them coming from Toledo, and people will talk about, oh, the competition he had to play against.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Listen, he jumps out you on, he jumps out at you, tat, he jumps at you out you listen, coverage, zone man, everything. He nice. He's so he's what I call even though he's coming out of college, he's so polished as if he's already been in the NFL. So you can tell whoever does his coaching and the off season, they don't.
Speaker 2: Put look out, look at, look at smooth, look out, smoothiere, look at transition, thank you.
Speaker 3: That back then coming a whole and a whole lot of wasteing motion.
Speaker 1: And then I saw, I saw, I retweeted, I saw some some dude. Obviously he's part of media in Philadelphia. He say, uh, with the whatever pick we pick Quinn Mitchell, I don't.
Speaker 3: Like that pick.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what do y'all be watching? Like, what do y'all be watching? Do you actually watch film on the individuals that are being picked or you just pick a name out of hat that you just like that you think might fit on the team. He was a need that we needed, obviously, I'm not I'm not sure if they're they're happy with Bradbury. Bradbury, I love him to death, you know, even though you know he had his ups and down. Okay, Okay, I get you, But how could you not watch a player of quin Mitchell's caliber and then even say something like that on draft y after he gets and have some negative to say, Oh I wish we had picked man. I hate stuff like that.
Speaker 2: He ain't go to no big school, so you didn't see him. So unless you scouted it or know what you're looking for, when you look at him, it goes over your head. So we're looking at his feet, We're looking at how he turns his hips. We love watching him transition. Okay, Kenny, Kenny, Kenny, back Ben okay a and come yeah, okay, Katie, and get those hips around, because that's that's that's that's what I'm looking at. It.
Speaker 3: You watch look at his feet. Look at his feet.
Speaker 2: Ain't no, ain't no elongate emotional thing chopping a He's sitting back there in that crouch.
Speaker 3: I'm coming listen.
Speaker 1: I watched the film on it on the inside and the slot. I seen him on the outside with bigger receivers, with smaller receivers, and he changing up, he changing up his technique based on the type of receiver he's covered.
Speaker 3: Man, But I like it.
Speaker 2: I think they need that. But they got to tackle. They secondary, and oh Joe, I was saying, remember I saying this all year.
Speaker 1: Oh shut up?
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 1: How you playoff game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where I said they was playing possible?
Speaker 3: No, no, they they were bad. Oh ja, they don't pay a little possible, Oh Joe.
Speaker 1: They adn't want to tackle that game. And I don't want you at that game. No game, but no, the playoff game was worse. Now, the playoff game, I can't remember who it was they were playing. They weren't tackling at all. I'm like, it's like it's like they weren't even trying. But we saw this in the regular season, and you try to say they're gonna pick it up.
Speaker 3: Oh Joe, you are what you are.
Speaker 2: At that point in time in the season. You know, Okay, I'm gonna give you a little grace. She say, hey, give them time. It's only week five. Did you say, come on, uncle, it's only week ten. Come on, Unki's only week fifteen. I was like, what damn o Joe to seize damn there over might give them a chance.
Speaker 1: I mean they started off ten and one, so I gave I gave him a little And what.
Speaker 2: Did I tell you? I, Oh, you're that fools goal. I said, you accepted things on a win. You would never would have lost. All that poor tackle, it, all that the ability to get to turn the team over. I said, you accepted that on show, but we went I said, okay, then would have happened. All their fans went crazy, the same fans that went crazy on that team when they lost that game and they lost the division all of a sudden. Well, I just tried to tell you all that. Oh Joe woo lay up lose to the Nuggets. Oh man, here's the thing. Nicolea Yogis twenty four points, fifteen rebounds, Aaron Gordon twenty nine points, fifteen rebounds, Murray twenty two points, five rebounds, MPJ twenty points, ten rebounds. Lebron James and Anthony Davis had fifty nine points. Yoki Ja Murray had forty six points. The rest of the Lakers starters had twenty seven points. The rest of the Nugget starter fifty four points. I knew once the Lakers didn't win that game of the night, it was gonna be difficult, because you're gonna think about it. Ojo Ad thirty two and eleven, Lebron twenty six, twelve and eight. D Loo had twenty three on seven May threes. What was the likelihood, considering the way he played game one, that and he played Game two, that he was gonna come back. It was gonna be more likely that he come back and play more like Game one than he did Game two.
Speaker 3: Now, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Expect these numbers, zero points, zero, seven of six. I didn't expect that.
Speaker 3: I didn't. Now, I'll be lying if I sit to him said I thought that, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Think it was especially at home, especially at home.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but I didn't expect him. I didn't expect another seven of eleven from three. Bron and Ad gonna give you what they gonna give you right now, who's the third guy. And remember I said this at the beginning, the Lakers other three starters Austin Reeves, RUI and a d LO will need to play Aaron Gordon, Michael Porter Jr.
Speaker 3: And k C P in order for them to win.
Speaker 2: And there you go, Lakers not getting I mean Lakers, Lakers not getting off the k K rebound. They can't keep get off the defensive glass. Aaron Murray, excuse me, Jamal Murray getting on the glass, getting rebounds, getting put back.
Speaker 3: Michael Porter Junr. KCP.
Speaker 2: I'm like, really, if Anthony David is the only one that's allowed to get rebounds for the Lakers, I was like, God, come on, and then we have I mean, listen, go ahead, listen once again. Once again, the Lakers blew a double jujit lead. Once again, the Lakers blew a double digit lead. Yeah, and didn't get enough what's the word again, you say separation? That is, didn't get enough separation again? Hell eighty said it. Eighty said it the other night.
Speaker 1: Not only did he say it, it came into fruition because now it looks like he knows exactly what they're talking about. When he said, we don't know what we're doing later in the games, and they looked just like that, Oh, you gotta understand, you got understand. You gotta understand that the tongue is powerful.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tongue is powerful. To me, it's almost like you're throwing your coach under the yes, like you're not doing a job even though the head coach and you understand you are the Lakers. So who you think is gonna take the brunt of the heat for y'all losing again or if you get swept?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Gonna be out of who's gonna get fired?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Ham Man?
Speaker 1: You oh, you always want to cover your coach at all at all times.
Speaker 3: It was minus always want to come.
Speaker 2: There was minus thirteen on the glass, they was minus five. They were what minus five minus? There was minus six on the offensive glass. I mean, you're not your Anthony Davis. In the game two, through three quarters, Anthony Davis had thirty two points on fourteen to eighteen shoot In the fourth quarter, he had zero points on one field goal to temp. In Game three, he had thirty points through three quarters on thirteen to twenty shooting. In the fourth quarter, he had three points on one of three. Now either he's running out of gas or then now it looks to me they're not getting the ball because he got one shot attempt in game two and he got three, he got four shot attempts in game in game three.
Speaker 3: That's not enough.
Speaker 1: Well, I have I have a question. Now, you know better than I do when it comes to when it comes to basketball basketball, they run play, Yes, they run plays for certain situations. You scheme, you have tactics, you have all that the same as the same as NFL. When Patrick Mahomes comes to the line of scrimmage, a matter of fact, when Joe Burrow comes to the line of scrimmage and he sees the defense, you know what, I don't care what the play call it that comes in pay attention to me. I can allo, I can allo it. So in crunch time and later in the games, whoever's running the point, whether it be Lebron, whether it be de Loo Brenna announced, change the play of Austin Reeve, change the play to make sure you have a reason to get goddamn eighty the ball. It's pretty simid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's frustrating because you see a concerted effort through the first three games eighteen shot attemps through three quarters, twenty shot attempts through three quarters, but in the fourth quarter he get one field goal attemp.
Speaker 3: In the fourth quarter he get four field goal attempts.
Speaker 1: Right, you think you're tired. You can't get tired too many minutes.
Speaker 2: No, hell no, you know, come playoff time, you're gonna have to play forty minutes a night. Expect to play forty minutes a night. Anthony Davis played forty three minutes. Lebron played forty two minutes.
Speaker 3: De Lo play.
Speaker 2: Oster Reeves played forty one ostar Reeves got it going late, but he missed a couple of bunnies.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 2: You know, he didn't have his finest game, d Lo. Obviously you can't have your starter score no points.
Speaker 3: He just can't.
Speaker 2: Oh, he didn't have any points in the game. You can't have that, especially when the Nuggets. The Nuggets started, they had four starters with twenty plus points.
Speaker 1: Hey, is it that difficult? Is it that difficult to be consistent? Because Dlo just had a hell of a game in game two, a hell of a game in game two, and then you come up. I'm not gonna call it a stinker. I'm sure that's what other people call it. But is it that difficult to be consistent?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, lights of bright. It's different playing in LA.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, lights of bright? This ain't his first, This ain't his first.
Speaker 2: Is the expectations different than when you was in Cincinnati? With the expectations different than when you played in New England? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. So imagine that's the Lakers now. When you talk about great players, the Pantheons, the Russell I mean the Chamberlains, the Elgin Baylor, the Shacks, the Kobe's, the Magic, the Kareems, the Worthies, the George Mike Ins.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, now listen, this is the thing. Even though I'm in a different place, it's still the game of even though you're in a different place, even though you're playing in LA as opposed to wherever you're previous before LA. And you remember, this is your second stint in LA, so you should already be used to the lights. You've been playing the game of basketball since he was eight years old. Now it doesn't sang this. This is still the same child's game you've always played, so that shouldn't change based on the atmosphere and your surroundings, whether the lights are brighter, whether the lights.
Speaker 5: Are Expectations changes, Okay, pressure, pressure, pressure, expectations.
Speaker 2: You see, if you're in a relationship, but you don't have no expectations, if she does something to disappoint you, you're not upset.
Speaker 3: But when you have expectations, that's when it hurt. Yeah. And the greater the expectations, the greater the pressure, and the more it hurts.
Speaker 2: And see, that's what I tell people for people like man, did I say, bro, I'm damn near in tears when I lose, because because if you're if it doesn't hurt that bad, you probably didn't invest that much into it, right, It's got to mean something to you, because I'm thinking about the time what I sacrifice, the time that I didn't do what I promised my kids I do, like go to the amusement park or take them to do this, X, Y and Z, or misfunctions with my family to.
Speaker 3: Try to get better at a task. You damn right, it hurt.
Speaker 2: And y'all cauld say oh bad man you crist Yes, yes, because that's how invested I am. And when things don't go well with this, yeah, it hurt because I know how much time I put into Nightcap, how much.
Speaker 3: Time I put in the podcast? Right right?
Speaker 2: How we try to get better at what we do because that's the objective.
Speaker 3: What are we doing this for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's fine. Yeah, we do great numbers and we get no I'm trying to do one hundred thousand in the chat, I'm trying to do one fifty. I'm trying to do two hundred. I won't advertise as the sponsors say. I want to be a part of Nightcap. I want to be a part. We got the news today. Club Shayha is the number one podcast on YouTube. I didn't say sports. I said number one, right, and we release it once a week.
Speaker 3: I'm here's the.
Speaker 2: Thing, and this is what I tell you, and people stay with me. I don't let me know you lose you. I'm satisfying, but I'm not content. Those are two separate Those are entirely different things. So when I stay up late at night and I'm getting four and five hours of sleep and I'm I don't let as sleep and she don't let me sleep because we're brainstorming.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm telling CJ. C J, let's try me. What do you think about this? Just say, hey, what do you think about this? You think this?
Speaker 2: You think this, so we can do this, hey whatever whatever you think that will work because we have to keep reinventing ourselves. Next year, we're gonna be at the draft. We're gonna have nightcap, will be live at the draft. Wait, we're going to We're going to the draft. We're gonna have nightcaps, gonna be live at the draft.
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: What what? What?
Speaker 1: What city is the draft?
Speaker 3: And lambou Fiel, Yes.
Speaker 1: For the head, I'm gonna wear me yellow. I'm gonna wear me yellow suit too. I'm I'm gonna wear me a yellow suit. Yeah, I for to get my suit ready. Well, we're gonna be at a draft.
Speaker 2: So that's how that's that's that's how it is, and that that's why I hurt. The Lakers were outscored thirty four to two in the third quarter. The Lakers have been outscored by thirty one points in the third quarter. And that's the series, Darvin Ham. That's the way the game game goes. It's to make a mislead when we have when we have to keep the scoreboard moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah you do, Yeah you do.
Speaker 2: It's top Oh Toby's top. The expectation, that's the Lakers. Everybody can't Everybody is not meant to play in New York. We've seen some of the best players in baseball go to New York and not be able to do it. What's the song says, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.
Speaker 1: You can make it anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Yankees, the Lakers, that's what is Chicago where the Bulls ain't been good and while the Bears had the Bears got that.
Speaker 3: The Bears just had some great players.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, back when they were playing for the championships and Papa Bear Hallas, you know they had those old the old school guys. They were they were good. But yeah, yeah, Ojo and I think the thing is with the Lakers, it's over. They're not winning. They they getting swept again. Back to back year they getting.
Speaker 1: Swept and you ain't got no hope.
Speaker 2: Now, oh Joe, I saw they had a twenty four lead and they lost. They lost when Jamal Murray didn't play particularly well. They loft with Aaron Aaron Gordon didn't play particularly well.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: When you got when you got hold on, you got Jokic going for twenty four and fifteen, Gordon going for twenty nine and fifteen, Murray twenty two, Andy five mpj at twenty and tene Man, Come on, O Joe, you can't do nothing. You can't do nothing with that hold on this pauld you see, let me see something, O Joe. Uh Aaron Gordon Twelve of eighteen, Michael Porter Jr. Eight of sixteen, uh Nicola Jokic nine of thirteen. Murray didn't shoot the ball well. He was eight of twenty one, one of six from the three, and you you.
Speaker 3: So. No, it's over, Joe. It's over.
Speaker 2: When they didn't win Game two, when you had a fifteen point leader half, you stretch it to twenty and you don't seal that deal. Now the Nuggets don't. The Nuggets feel like we don't care how far y'all get. We track you down. I don't care how far you get ahead of us. We walk you down. Yeah, it's crazy. I think they play again. I don't know when they played. I think they played Sunday as Sunday Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's over, I believe.
Speaker 1: So it's not mistaken.
Speaker 3: It's over.
Speaker 2: It's over, Oh Joe, Joe el ebid scored fifty yo to lead the seventy sixers past the next one twenty five to one. Fourteen cut the deficit to two to one. Joel Embiid had thirteen. He was thirteen of nineteen from the floor, nineteen or twenty one from the free throw line. He hit five threes. He's the first guy in NBA history just score fifty points in a playoff game on twenty.
Speaker 3: Or fewer shots.
Speaker 1: Man, that man, buddy, crazy man, but and be and beats like, oh man.
Speaker 2: If he was healthy and I hated to use that caveatf Yeah, they beat that, they'd be a three to zero.
Speaker 3: The dude getting fifty on.
Speaker 2: One leg, La ladies and gentleman at home. The man's on one leg. Y'all see, y'all know he not healthy. And he gave you a fifty piece, yeah, fifty piece extra sauces. No napkins made a mess of him.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yes, thirteen for nineteen from the field, five to seven from three. A big man.
Speaker 2: In four centers to score fifty plus points in a playoff game. Obviously we know one. Wilt Chamberlain, no surprise. Bob mcadoon for the Buffalo Braids, Nicola Jokics and Joe ellenb that's that thinking four Yeah, fifty piece and he on one leg.
Speaker 3: He's on one leg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell, I was there. I was there for that seventy piece in field, and yeah, I was expecting to see that consistently over and over you and you had to tell me, now, it don't work like that in basketball. Every so often you get a game like that and he go dropping fifty in the.
Speaker 2: You needed you need to be like seventy five eighty so you could have saw Will. Will the only guy that had multiple one hundred. He had a seventy eight, he had a seventy three, he had like five seven. Yeah, but no nobody else has more than one.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So uh, people were upset with within B for what they thought were dirty plays when he pulled him down.
Speaker 1: I'm it's kind of tough.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't call that dirty. I don't and be thats a dirty player, I think more so, you know what, I'm a grabber's leg and hold the hurry up and blows the whistle so he doesn't shoot the ball. Yeah, and then you know, on Mitch on Mitchell's part, a little a little flopping a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've called I've caught that flopped less on the bank when I got him out.
Speaker 3: Than what they be doing in the NBA. I mean, you get ridiculous with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't call him a dirty player because of a play that you just don't agree with. That was somewhat of a somewhat agree but yeah, if you, if you play the game or just sports in general, you understand he's trying to foul him and get the ref to blow the whistle just so he can't shoot the shot
Speaker 2: The volume