Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, let's begin with the latest from the campaign trail. With just eleven days left until the election, both Kamala Harris and Donald Trump are pulling out all the stops. The Vice president rallied supporters last night in Georgia and seized on criticism of the former president from his former chief of staff John Kelly.
Speaker 3: Take a moment to think about what that means that Trump said quote Hitler did some good things and that Trump wished he had generals like Hitler's who would be loyal to Trump and not to America's constitution.
Speaker 2: Vice President Harris was joined on stage for the first time by former President Barack Obama.
Speaker 4: Oh, I want to explain that in politics, a good rule of thumb is don't say you want to do anything like Hitler.
Speaker 2: Not along with former President Obama. Bruce Springsteen appeared with Harris at the Georgia rally. But perhaps the biggest celebrity backing for the Vice president will come today when Beyonce joins Kamala Harris at a rally in her hometown of Houston, Texas well Nathan.
Speaker 5: Former President Trump has denied making those comments about Hitler. He held a rally last night in Tempe, Arizona, where he rallied against Harris over the migrant crisis.
Speaker 6: We're a dumping ground. We like a garbage can for the world. That's what's happened. That's what's happened. We like a garbage can. You know, it's the first time I've ever said that.
Speaker 5: Earlier, Donald Trump told a conservative radio show that he would fire Special counsel Jack Smith quote within two seconds if he returns to the White House. Smith is appealing his classified documents case against Trump, and he's filed revised charges in the twenty twenty election interference case after the Supreme Court's ruling on presidential immunity.
Speaker 2: And Trump continues to get big donations Karen from Elon Musk. The billionaire gave another fifty six million dollars to Trump and other Republicans in the final weeks of the twenty twenty four race. Musk has spent at least one hundred and thirty two million dollars to elevate his allies to the White House and Congress.
Speaker 5: Well Nathan, the world's richest man, may be looking to extend his influence even further to geopolitics. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Elon Musk has been in regular contact with Russian President Vladimir Putin for nearly two years. Sources tell the Journal their conversations have touched on business, geopolitics, and personal matters. In one case, Putin reportedly asked Musk not to activate his Starlink's satellite internet over Taiwan as a favorite of Chinese President Xijin Ping. Musk did not respond to requests for comment on the Journal report, but in the past he said it's absurd to think that he's a Putin apologist, and his companies have done more to undermine Russia than anything ill.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Karen Elon Musk's wealth sword Following blowout earnings from Tesla, Musk added thirty three and a half billion dollars to his net worth yesterday after shares of the electric vehicle maker searched twenty two percent for its biggest gain in more than a decade. Musk's wealth gain brought his fortune to more than two hundred and seventy billion dollars sixty one billion, ahead of second place Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 5: Well Nathan. It's also a big day for the head of a Microsoft CEO Saki and Adella received a pay package worth more than seventy nine million dollars this year, and that's his sixty three percent increase from the prior year. About ninety percent of Nadella's compensation was in Microsoft shares.
Speaker 2: We have even more sweet c suite news this morning. Karen Morgan Stanley CEO Ted Pick is about to become chairman of the board. That's expected in January, and we get more on that from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner.
Speaker 7: Pick will replace James Gorman. Back in May, Gorman said he would step down as chairman at the end of the year, and Pick was expected to replace him in that role. In a nod of respect, Morgan Stanley said Gorman will take on the title of chair emeritus after leaving the board. Pick took over from Gorman as CEO at the start of the year, and a little over a week ago, Morgan Stantley reported results above expectations with a record quarter in wealth management. Under Pick, Morgan Stanley shares have climbed nearly twenty eight percent this year. In New York. I'm Doug Prisoner Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 5: All right, Doug, thank you. There's some stocks on the move this morning. Shares of Capri Holding, they are plunging down more than forty five percent. Of Federal judges blocked its planned eight and a half billion dollar takeover by retail rival Tapestry. The judge froze the deal after concluding it would harm competition in the market for accessible luxury handbags. Tapestry, which makes Coach and Kate Spade handbags, currently is up thirteen and a half percent this morning.
Speaker 2: And the strike at Boeing drags on Karen after unionized workers rejected a labor deal with generous pay packages. Bloomberg's John Tucker is here now with the updates. So, John, the workers seem to be banking on pensions.
Speaker 8: Huh and it's a long shot, Nathan. Ten years ago, the pensions were removed at Boeing, and Jane Jacobs labor law expert, tells Bloomberg employees want to go back to traditional pension plans, but they're asking for a dinosaur. The pensions fell out of favor on Wall Street decades ago after repeated economic downturns left employers feeling trapped, and now members of the International Association of Machinists and the Aerospace Workers appear to be holding out. On Wednesday, they rejected the proposed four year agreement that would have guaranteed thirty five percent wage increases and enhanced four oh one k benefit matches. The meantime, the pressure keeps building. Boeing isn't producing any civilian aircraft besides the seven eighty seven Dreamliner, which is made at a different site that doesn't have union representation in New York. On John Tucker.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg Radio, Right, John, Thanks, So, we're also following the e coli outbreak that's impacting McDonald's and other fast food chains. Burger King and Young Brands, which owns Taco Bell, Pizza hug In KFC, removed onions from some of their locations yesterday. The restaurant industry is on alert after the CDC Sidney coli outbreak, likely tied to pre slivered onions served on McDonald's quarter pounders, sickened dozens of people in the US and killed.
Speaker 2: One And finally, Karen, after eight months in space, four astronauts are back on Earth and endeavor.
Speaker 9: We see the same on behalf of SpaceX.
Speaker 4: Welcome Home.
Speaker 2: That was the sound from SpaceX this morning after the company's capsule, with a crew of three American astronauts and one Russian cosmonaut on board, parachuted into the Gulf of Mexico. Their mission lasted two hundred and thirty five days, three hours, and thirty five minutes, during which the space station circled the globe three thousand, seven hundred seventy six times that covers one hundred million miles. These astronauts were supposed to be back on Earth two months ago, they were delayed by capsule trouble for Boeing Starliner and Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 5: And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, Good Morning, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Karen Eric and Lyle Menendez are being recommended for re sentencing with the eligibility for parole for the nineteen eighty nine murders of their parents. Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon says he's recommending their release under California's Youthful Parole law.
Speaker 10: I'm recommending that they be released because I believe that the people that there were at age nineteen and twenty one, it is not the same people that we're seeing thirty five years later.
Speaker 4: Defense lawyer Mark Gerrigos represents the brothers.
Speaker 11: These boys need to come home, and today is a monumental, monumental victory on that path.
Speaker 4: The brothers said they feared their parents were about to kill them to stop people from finding out that Jose Menendez had sexually abused Eric Menendez for years. A judge will need to go along with Gascun's recommendation, and then a parole board must approve. The final stop is with the California governor, who could reject the board's decision. Gaza Health officials say and Israeli strike this morning killed thirty eight people in Conunis. It comes as another Israeli strike on a compound housing journalists in southeast Lebanon killed three media staffers. Army officials that a person of interest has been taken into custody and connection to the suspected murder of a soldier at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. The body of twenty three year old Sergeant Sarah Roquet was found earlier this week in a dumpster. Army Major General Christopher Beck, the Department.
Speaker 12: Of the Army Criminal Investigation Division is investigating her death as a potential homicide.
Speaker 4: They are working.
Speaker 11: Closely with the FBI other law enforcement agencies.
Speaker 4: Major General Beck. President Biden traveled to Arizona to issue an apology to the Native American community for the federal government's role in removing Native children from their homes to send them to abusive boarding schools for decades. It follows an investigation launched by a Secretary of the Interior, deb Holland.
Speaker 13: For more than a century, tens of thousands of Indigenous children, as young as four years old were taken from their families and communities and forced into boarding schools run by the US government and religious institutions.
Speaker 4: The investigation found at least nine hundred and seventy three children died in schools across dozens of states and territories. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. Michael Barrn. This is Bloomberg Herron.
Speaker 5: All right, Michael barr thank you time now for the Bloomberg Scores update, brought to you by Trying State Outie. Here's John Stashauer.
Speaker 12: John, all right, Karen, it's a night Yankee fans I've been waiting for for fifteen years, a draft that matched the longest and Yankee history for time between World Series games. They start their forty first World Series. That's still more than a third of all the Fall Classics. They're going for their twenty eighth championship, and they have their ace on the mount. Tonight, Garrett Cole will face the Dodgers.
Speaker 14: You obviously know of the talent and know of the you know the progress of the other team and how they can swing the bat. With high advocacy, I think that they are going to get their hits at some point of this series. They are good players, and they obviously, you know, have played really well to this point.
Speaker 12: And Dodgers have an offense that just scored thirty seven runs and their four NLCS wins over the Mets. They have a deep bullpen, but there without four injured starting pitchers, they to go with Jack Flerty seven scoreless innings in Game one against the Mets, but in his two other postseason starts, Flerty gave up twelve runs. Week eight also began in La. The Rams took their first lead with two and half minutes left third quarter. They beat the Vikings thirty to twenty. Matthew Stafford four touchdown passes, Minnesota's second loss a starting five and oh last spring, the Panthers ended the Rangers season, then won the Stanley Cup, and last night Florida also won three one at the Garden where tonight the next taking on the team that ended their season, the Indiana Pacers, Nick's blown out and their opener in Boston. Celtics last night one in Washington won twenty two to one oh two. Dallas won its opener Klay Thompson's debut with the MAVs. He made six three pointers. The ex Nick Julius Randall thirty three points from Minnesota and a win at Sacramento College football Pittsburgh now seven to oh forty one to thirteen over Syracuse, whose quarterback Kyle McCord through five interceptions there were three pit pick sixes. George Stish were Bloomberg Sports Karen Nathan.
Speaker 4: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on sirius XM and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. With eleven days till the election, both Kamala Harris and Donald Trump were turning the heat up on each other on the campaign trail.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump has become more confused, more unstable, and more angry.
Speaker 9: Are you better off now.
Speaker 4: That you were four years ago?
Speaker 2: I don't think so now. The former president rallied his supporters last night in Las Vegas, while the vice president was campaigning in the Atlanta area, with former President Obama and Bruce Springsteen in tow Joining us this morning to talk about the race are Bloomberg's Derek Wallbank and Kevin Whitelog. Good morning to both of you. Derek, where does the race stand with eleven days out?
Speaker 15: Nathan, We are sitting and dancing on the tip of a pin right now. It is very, very close in the presidential race and across the key swing states we are seeing we are seeing a lot of tightness in polls. We're seeing signs that are good for both sides in the early vote, depending on what you're looking at and right now, as you just played in those clips, you're seeing Kamala Harrison Donald Trump targeting very similar audiences. A lot of this final pitch is geared at voters who are a very very thin slice of the electorate. It's that group that isn't really sure about either of them, maybe doesn't like either of them, not necessarily confident about where the economy is, but not necessarily confident about throwing Donald Trump back into the White House again. So you are seeing those pitches a lot of high negatives about the opponents, a lot of contrast, because this really could go any sort of way. It's entirely plausible that Donald Trump wins with more than three hundred electoral votes. It's entirely plausible Kamala Harris does the same. And it's also critically entirely plausible that we are waiting for days plural maybe even a week or more to figure out what the actual result was.
Speaker 2: Let's bring Kevin Whitelaw into this conversation we've heard in just these last few hours, Kevin Kamala Harris seizing on these reports in the Atlantic and The New York Times that former President Trump has said nice things about Adolf Hitler and at the same time, we're hearing from former President Trump calling the US a garbage can because of what at the border. The negatives really seem to be ramping up in these final days.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, obviously, you know, as we as we enter this this home stretch, I think both candidates are looking to try to, you know, figure out what their closing messages are. And obviously at this point I think, you know, for for Kamala Harris, one of those strong messages that I think that her people think can can move people towards towards her is is just a reminder of of of just you know, sort of why so many people did get sort of you know, you moved away from Donald Trump and and we're gonna have trouble voting for him. And so I think this, this sort of Hitler sort of set of remarks has been obviously well timed as far as Kamala Harris is can, but it does sort of have a pretty stark contrast to the headline on the on Bloomberg right now is Springsteen Obama rally for Harris. Trump denies Hitler remarks. Normally you know this this would suggest that one campaign is perhaps doing better than the other, but as Derek was saying, this one is so close that you're ultimately dealing with only, you know, a very tiny number of true undecided. And for the most part, it's really just about getting people motivated to vote, comfortable to vote, and ready to pull the lever for one or the other.
Speaker 2: And to that point, on top of the Bloomberg News Morning Console poll that showed just how tight the races in all seven swing states, you've got a new New York Times Siena College National Likely voter poll that shows Kamala Harris and Donald Trump at forty eight percent a piece. What does this say, Derek, Yeah, Derek, about where things could go in this next week and a half. I mean, is there any room for either side to make a mistake here?
Speaker 15: You know, Nathan, I think Kevin said it right. It's a lot about turning out your voters at this point, right, Kamala Harris is going to be looking to try and drive particularly women to the poll. We've seen in some special elections after the Supreme Court's Dobbs decision on abortion, an over performance among Democrats in down ballot races that they're really hoping can translate here, and you are seeing in some early votes, some indications that women are coming out in quite high numbers. At the same point, Donald Trump is going to be is doing I think, far better than many people expected at turning out some rural voters, especially in Georgia, especially in North Carolina. So there is going to be a sort of like trying to pastiche this together because you are trying to get the votes out in these very specific constituencies, in these very specific you know, sort of state borders. If you're in North Carolina, on the western edge of North Carolina, your vote is going to matter a lot more than somebody on the very eastern tip of Tennessee, right.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: That's just sort of the way the US works in elections like this, And they're very clear about this, they know all of this. What I would say is that, and it's important for people to look at when they're looking at the map, a general tie vote is probably better for Donald Trump once you get to state, because the Electoral College has a little bit the way the votes are going right now, a little bit of a hum towards the GOP. So a tie in a national vote is probably better news for Donald Trump than it is for Kabla Harris.
Speaker 2: And to the point about this race sort of turning into a national conversation here, Kevin, We're going to see Vice President Harris holding a rally later today in the non swing state of Texas, joined by Beyonce, ramping up star power once again, and former President Trump this weekend is going to be holding a rally at Madison Square Garden. What do you make of the final stage strategy here focusing not just on the swing states, but bringing this to a more national audience.
Speaker 9: Well, I think when you can get Beyonce, you go to Beyonce. You don't ask her to come to you. So I think in this case, Kamala Harris is trying to harness whatever she can by way of the star star you know, star wattage that that that has been coming out for her. Obviously, Bruce Springsteen, Barack Obama we've seen and I think James Taylor was with Tim Walls, and now you do have Beyonce. So I think that's probably says more just about the straight logistics of making that happen, because obviously they are looking for ways to make sure that people see her appeal across a number of different demographics. For Trump, I think it's.
Speaker 11: Always been about the high profile, high splash sort of moments, and and you know, playing square garden is a way I think for him to sort of rally the base as watching watching him enter what obviously is otherwise a Democratic stronghold.
Speaker 2: And of course Donald Trump has his own star power in the form of the world's richest man, Elon Musk. And now there's this report in the Wall Street Journal that Musk has been in regular contact, apparently with Russian President Vladimir Putin for at least two years now. Derek, does that have any impact on the race. Do you think this report that Elon Musk is trying to dive even deeper into geopolitics.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm not really sure how much of an impact that's going to have in terms of turning actual votes right now, because it's kind of hard to see how many votes are out there moving because of proxies. To Kevin's point, right, you use the proxies that you have in Musk has been a huge Donald Trump proxy, but they're sort of giving awareness and ultimately that voting ballot choice is between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, not between Elon Musk and Taylor Swift. Right, But it does highlight a sort of sensitivity on the governing side and in terms of how it affects Musk's own business lines. Right, he is, among other things, a massive, massive government contractory in a whole lot of ways, from Starlank and Internet service to the SpaceX and spaceflight and all manner of other things. Right, And to the degree that Harris wins, you can imagine additional scrutiny onto all of those business lines. To the degree that Trump wins, you can imagine perhaps substantially less scrutiny and maybe even more incentives towards there. So somebody like Elon Musk, and Musk has said this himself in some words, it has a lot writing on this race.
Speaker 2: Got about a minute left, Kevin. Your take on the Elon Musk Wall Street Journal report what it could mean potentially with Elon Musk looking for a potential position in the Trump administration.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think ultimately this is probably more more of a more of an issue going forward for both Musk's companies, but also, as you say, but you know, the possibilities has been talked about for him to have an official role in the administration. I mean, I think for for folks who've been watching, you know, Donald Trump in his stance uh toward Russia and his remarks about sort of where the war in Ukraine should end up, I think this sort of only adds to a set of concerns that that a Trump administration, particularly if it had Musk, and it would would potentially shift US policy towards Russia quite substantially. But in the meantime there's also raises some very interesting questions about sort of security clearances which obviously Musk and his company have for for some of the various sensitive operations that they do with the US military and very likely with the intelligence communities, so definitely sparking it would definitely spark levels of concern in a number of different areas.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberry Daybreak, your morning pond on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 5: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atuto interfaces.
Speaker 5: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Ray