Speaker 1: The following He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your host, Nicole Hutchison.
Speaker 4: All Right, Cowboys Nation, welcome in to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Right here in the SWBC studio, I'm Nicole Hudgson, alongside Eastan Morrison, Jessinavarees, Christie Scales.
Speaker 5: Wish we were.
Speaker 4: Coming here with some something better to talk about a win, but unfortunately we are not.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys fall to.
Speaker 4: The San Francisco forty nine ers once again, the final, thirty to twenty four in Levi Stadium. Girls, at first, let me just start with you, Christy, because you were there at that game.
Speaker 5: What did you notice? What were the vibes?
Speaker 4: I mean, did you expect this outcome yesterday?
Speaker 6: The fact that they had a chance in the fourth quarter was pretty amazing, considering how abysmal the third quarter was and the fact that the defense got the stop on the second to final defensive series and got the offense the ball with a chance to score. The winning touchdown. Was pretty remarkable because as well as the defense played in the first half, limiting the forty nine ers to just two field goals, the wheels fell off in the third quarter for the defense and the offense didn't do anything to help, and neither did the special teams. So it was a frustrating end to the game. It was a weird beginning to the game when you get to the stadium and all of a sudden, you're starting running back isn't available. Jones family involved in a traffic a car deal coming into the stadium, so there was just it was just unusual. And the problem is it's the same things that we've been talking about, the lack of takeaways, problems in the run game, defensively and offensively. I feel like it's an old fashioned record player and it's spinning and the needle is stuck in the rut and we keep going over and over. So that's what that's what it feels like to me. Drop into three and four.
Speaker 7: Yes, Yeah, here's the thing.
Speaker 8: I expected more out of them, especially post by week, having a week to kind of sit in the previous loss and really reflect and think about how they wanted to continue their season and make change immediately going forward. And what was so disheartening for me was in the first half, you saw those changes being made, you saw them being implemented, You saw that fight that you were really missing from them. You know, during the previous losses that they had that we would talk about that there was no fight or no punch back, and they had that, but then the wheels fell off. So for me, what's the most frustrating is you have this bye week.
Speaker 7: You have a week to figure this out, which.
Speaker 8: In football time, that's a lot of time to figure that out, and you can only hold up for two quarters before the wheels fall off again. So for me, that's worrisome more than anything else. And you know, I'm not trying to say the sky is falling, Sky's falling, but at what point do we have the conversation that it is because you can't keep having these kind of losses, and given this isn't the same kind of loss, but it just feels like that because of the history with the forty nine ers, this was something that really could have been a morale boost for this team that I think they really needed to skyrocket them forward and the rest of the season and the fact that they couldn't pull it off because of the same mistakes, Christy, to your point, same boogeyman came back to haunt them. The interceptions, the penalties, the mistackles, the same things we've been saying, loses them another game. I'm tired of seeing it. So it was frustrating.
Speaker 9: I don't know you ever spilled something on the ground and it just feels like it's just too much to have to clean up at one time and you're just looking at it and with a laundry.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you don't have enough paper towels, talk about.
Speaker 9: It, so you you ain't got enough paper talles.
Speaker 5: You start thinking about dang.
Speaker 10: I gotta go use some real hotels. You know what I'm saying. It's it's there.
Speaker 7: It's not enough.
Speaker 9: Listen, it's two a point. So where because you were trying to cover up other deficiencies, it's making things worse like and it's making things harder on both sides of the wall for you.
Speaker 10: Because to your point, they did make some changes.
Speaker 9: You saw Zimmer come out and do some different fronts trying to make sure that they stopped the run. We saw the offense come out and do some things offensively as well, And one of the differences on the Office's side was like they weren't helping the tacticles like that, yeah, cause they wanted the tight ends to be They wanted to get Jake Ferguson involved.
Speaker 10: That though yep, you literally like cant yep.
Speaker 9: So it's one of those It's just one of those things where I think we s we sit here on the show and we try to figure out how can you fix this? How can they adjust this? H what roster things can they do? How can they scheme and stuff? But some stuff it's just not fixable and it just feels like to not Last night was the time where I was just like, this can't be fixed with this.
Speaker 10: And that's the hard part to me.
Speaker 9: It's like, I don't think some of it is fixable cause it begets another thing, begets another thing, begets another thing, or it takes away from the other one. So I think that was the hard reality for me last night was just like, yeah, this is what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is what it is.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 4: I think you also had to look at like We've talked so much about how this offense and defense has struggle.
Speaker 5: I mean, you look at Special Teams, they were struggling too.
Speaker 8: It trickles down, like, look, you can only do so much when everybody around you is making mistakes. The stakes go up, the pressure goes up, and at some point you can't expect the one stable part of your team to be perfect.
Speaker 7: The wheels are going to fall off there as well.
Speaker 8: And that's just I feel like the natural rotation in football is you have off games. This one just so happened to come for Special Teams, which usually holds up pretty well, but very uncharacteristic mistakes all around Special teams, a lot of penalties and something that I've really noticed is a lot of I say, a lot of some veteran mistakes that I was really surprised to see, like a CJ.
Speaker 7: Goodwin missing and I speak to.
Speaker 6: The yeah please very first play. Yes, Special Teams was frustrated from the get go because the Cowboys received they win the toss, They receive the ball because they want to, you know, make statement play from the lead and not fall behind like they've had in early losses. So Cavante Turpin is lined up back. There just a single returner, CJ Goodwin foot backfoot on the thirty five yard line.
Speaker 5: The nine other.
Speaker 6: Blockers front foot on the forty And if you notice the kickoff was slightly delayed last night, if you were watching TV, you probably notice that. It's like, huh, okay, what's the problem. The referee was telling the down judge. The referee stands behind the return he's in the back of the end zone, underneath the goalposts. As he's making his way to his spot behind Cavante Turpin behind the end zone, he's telling the down judge that's one of the officials that he was right in front of me, is along the Cowboys sideline. He's telling him to tell CJ something. So the guy goes and tells CJ something, and then when CJ listens, it's like okay. He goes back and he lines up in a spot. Cavante has a pretty good return to the thirty yard line. A flag flies illegal formation. They're calling CJ Goodwin. CJ is livid. John Fossil, the world's nicest human, is livid. It takes a lot to get him going. Yeah, and they're asking for an explanation. Later in the second quarter, Zeke Elliott has scored on the touchdown run, same thing return, same formation. CJ lines up in the exact same spot and it's not an illegal formation. We noted it on Cowboys Radio. So after the game, I went to CJ in the locker room. I said, CJ, did you get an explanation? What was up with the first penalty on the opening kickoff? He said, New York called down to the officials and told him that it was not an illegal formation. Oh but wow, So it was a mistake made by the officiating crew, but it wasn't corrected in time to not to not mark off the five yards.
Speaker 5: That's crazy. So you know how.
Speaker 6: Sometimes there are just games where you're just kind of like you don't have a good feeling at the start of it, and there's angst done this, And it was that way from the get go. Just from that error, Now, the other errors on special teams, Marquise Bell leaving early, that's a penalty, Brandon Aubrey miss hitting the ball, not hitting the landing zone with the kickoff, that's an error.
Speaker 9: And with the backwards pass or for past, Yeah, did CJ not position himself correctly?
Speaker 10: Did he not come around.
Speaker 6: I did not ask him about that, but it was forward, yeah, and not by much, but enough that I think that it was actually the correct call. So it was it was a failure of execution.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I went back to watch that specifically today because CJ. Goodwin is a guy that we really talk about a lot on here that you really missed on special teams last year.
Speaker 7: And when I was going back through the.
Speaker 8: Penalties and kind of watching when they happen, it did look like a mis execution. To your point, Christy starting a game off like that, it kind of looked like he was a little rattled throughout the entirety of the game, just frustrated.
Speaker 7: He looked frustrated.
Speaker 8: There was one play in the third quarter, early in the third quarter where San Francisco's getting the ball. Kickoff happens and he just completely misses this tackle. Like I'm talking, you have returner right here, CJ good Ones right here. And to me, that's weird because CJ. Goodwes your your special team's ace. Who's going to get that every time? So again, when to me, when a game like.
Speaker 7: That is impacting a guy like CJ.
Speaker 8: Goodwin, who's really hard to shake, to your point, Christy, and just a veteran that understands this game and everything that goes into it. That told me what kind of the game it was from from all aspects and that confirms it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And it ended up that of the six penalties you know, marked off against the Cowboys, four of them were on special teams.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, no, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 9: It was weird too because when you go back and look at the statistics about the penalties, and san Fran was penalized far. I mean they did what they have seventy five yards?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were shooting themselves.
Speaker 5: In the foot for seventy three yards.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean they had quite a few penalties themselves. But like the Cowboys penalties.
Speaker 10: You can feel them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Does that make sense?
Speaker 9: Like when when when a lot of these penalties happen, they sit into like the feeling of the game. And I just felt like to your point and to your point about the special team stuff also too, you gotta think after something like that happens, are you second guessing yourself? Are you second guessing like which if this is okay, if this is not okay, whatever the case may be. I was disappointed specifically in special teams just because, like I thought that the Cowboys had an advantage there as far as going up against sant France, which they typically just aren't.
Speaker 4: I don't think we should still, you know, I don't know if point the finger kind of saying that even though we were disappointed Special.
Speaker 9: Teams all the day, No, I'm saying, I'm saying in general, just looking I looked at them as as an at they as an advantage game changer.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I thought they could change.
Speaker 9: I mean, and if we're being honest, Cavant Turpin has been having some good returns, He's had some They've had some success. Brian Inger has some fantastic points.
Speaker 6: Yesterday and it was windy conditions and.
Speaker 7: You could see the ball.
Speaker 5: Did you cross winds?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, the crosswinds, And I think it affected a couple of the deep throws as well. That makes sense, not as much as Dak getting hit as he's throwing it. But may I share one other story Special Teams Brandon Aubrey wise, because I think most of the folks joining us on Girls Stock Boys talk know that he had jury duty last week. So found out a little bit more talking to the guys before the game about how they worked in practice last week because Brandon Aubrey was serving in Terran County, which is Fort Worth, uh and it's quite drive in traffic once jury duty end. So he got here on Wednesday and Thursday evening about six forty five, and Wednesday was by himself, well with coach Fossil, but anyway, just working off at Tripod. But the thing is he had to practice outdoors on the outdoor field on Wednesday and Thursday evening because the Ford Center the indoor practice field was booked, including a high school game on Thursday. Well, the outdoor practice field here at the Starring Frisco doesn't have lights, and so and so. On Thursday, for example, when Trentzig the long snapper and Brian Anger, the punter who is the colder for Brandon Aubrey on extra points and field goals, it was kind of hard to see the ball on those deep snaps. So there wiz an end to Brandon to Brian Anger and he's trying to field it. But luckily the lights from the atrium are a beautiful Chandler like display of led lights. Thousands of them are sparkly enough and bounce off the courrg Doctor Pepper headquarters on the other side of the field that they literally once the sun dipped below the horizon, they were using the lights of the atrium to illuminate the outdoor field enough that they that Brandon could get his kicking in.
Speaker 7: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: Make it happen. I don't even know I can happen.
Speaker 7: Think of the lights being an issue, but shout out to them for putting the work in. That jury duty get.
Speaker 6: You and he unless something changes with the court. I mean cases can change during the process, but no court today. But he's supposed to be back at jury duty tomorrow Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Can we just break down the last drive because the Cowboys still had.
Speaker 5: A chance to win that game. When you look at the.
Speaker 4: Final drive and Dak almost thows an interception next play I believe that was the turpin deep ball, and then he throws in a double coverage to Jalen Brooks. Were those the right four calls? Do you feel like or how would you have played?
Speaker 3: Called that?
Speaker 7: Not like that?
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 10: I've said this one time. I say again, listen.
Speaker 9: What frustrates me the most about this team in particular is that it feels like there are moments in games like even so you can go back to the end of the second quarter when you had an opportunity to go up more than what you were at that time. Those moments are so big in games, they feel so pivotal, and it just felt it feels so rushed. It feels like for me, I'm like, as a coach, I'm looking for you to call your best four place like it is from my understanding, coaches have a nice little list of plays that are like, the probability of this winning, this working is very high.
Speaker 10: I know this would work.
Speaker 9: And again, like I'm not saying that the run game was really just killing things, but it did keep them honest and you did.
Speaker 10: Have some success. You had a little success in it.
Speaker 9: And to me, I felt like three minutes left, if I'm not mistaken, they had two of their timeouts, two timeouts and the two minute warning. Yep, honey, in football world.
Speaker 10: That's ten minutes.
Speaker 9: And you go out there and you just it just feels like they don't take some of these possessions seriously, Like it literally is like a one possession game within the game sometimes, like all you need is one possession to flip the script. And I'm not saying like I know how to play call in that moment. What I'm saying is is like, where is the sense of urgency to get to put yourself in a position to be successful in these moments?
Speaker 10: And it just feels so.
Speaker 9: Not not within the moment, or like not feeling the moment of the room, not reading the room.
Speaker 10: Of what's happening in this game.
Speaker 9: And that happened multiple times in this It happened at least two or three times where it's like this is the this is a key drive.
Speaker 10: I know you feel that where it's like, this is a big drive, this is a big position.
Speaker 9: And it's a three and out. It's a quick three and out too, I mean literally taking seventeen seconds off the clock?
Speaker 7: What are we doing?
Speaker 5: We they had the ball with three or five left in the game.
Speaker 9: This was this is the second quarter where there was like I think I'm talking about both they took such a few seconds off off the clock, and it's like, how were you and I get the benefit of going hurry up?
Speaker 10: We talked about that, but it's just.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, in the third quarter they had the ball for seven plays in sixteen yards, So that's not complimentary football. Meanwhile, your defense is getting high out to dry getting up three scores. But Nicole's question is about the final drive. I do have to say that I thought Dak's best pass of the night with the third down when to that's a very difficult catch, a very difficult catch because it was it was good coverage by the cornerback. He was right there.
Speaker 7: But do you feel like dropped it right in?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Jack dropped it in? That's just a difficult Uh, just my things.
Speaker 8: I'm I'm frustrated with it because you could be in a position to extend the clock at this point. Why are you giving brock Party a chance to score again?
Speaker 7: After that?
Speaker 8: Say you go down, you march down the field, you do what you need to do. You score your touchdown, and you do it quick. You're playing hurry up. It's brock Party. He's gonna make chunk plays. He's going to be mobile. And one thing about brock Party is you know he can come back and he's he can score. He can score under pressure like that, even if he had a minute thirty seconds. So what did you think was going to happen when man had three minutes left in this game?
Speaker 7: I mean, truly, it's so frustrating.
Speaker 6: To me.
Speaker 7: But what I wanted to point out too was something I.
Speaker 8: Noticed within that whole drive was, yes, the play calling didn't agree with can't exactly run.
Speaker 7: You didn't get your run game.
Speaker 8: Established throughout this game enough to sit back and rely on it to drain your clock, so you couldn't do that. So I understand the logic in going pass heavy with it.
Speaker 7: But what I'm looking at and noticing from Dak is this sense of.
Speaker 8: His first look is his only look, because multiple times I wrote down here, it's first and ten at the sandfrind twenty five, trying to.
Speaker 7: Force the pass to CD.
Speaker 8: There were four defenders around CD at this time. Guess who was right there, right in front of him? Who could have gotten you five yards just a little chunk pass. Zeke was open right in front of Dak. Had he turned his eyes literally Nicole like this would have not gotten you the first would have pushed you up and got you rolling to get the first down. Okay, next one, let's see Scrambles throws away almost an interception, no separation from Ceedee Lamb right there with the defenders. Third down, deep past the turp, the one we're talking about again. Guess what wasn't there no separation, And it's just so interesting because guess who.
Speaker 7: Was open on that one before?
Speaker 8: On the second down Hunter Liptey and again had something I noticed brock Party was really good at throughout this game, was getting his different looks in and first one's not open.
Speaker 7: Next, second one's not open. Next I'm gonna scramble.
Speaker 8: And brock Party did phenomenal at that throughout, especially the second half. Dak doesn't do that. He was very locked in on you're my first look, this is where the ball's going, and that's it. No matter what happens, I'm sticking with you.
Speaker 7: And that can work.
Speaker 8: Sometimes, but in this drive, that was also a factor that really played into making it unsuccessful.
Speaker 7: Play calling not favorable.
Speaker 8: You didn't get your run going, couldn't lean on it. Your quarterback has to be better in that final final drive what could be your final drive.
Speaker 7: Quarterback has to play better.
Speaker 9: Well, that's protection too, though, Like what you're talking about is protection.
Speaker 8: I mean, but they really weren't holding it wasn't he had time and he might have.
Speaker 9: He might he might have, And that's something I noticed watching him.
Speaker 10: When you have when you have one tackles.
Speaker 9: One thing two tackles is another because he also too when you learn your tackles. He also has a clock in his head of how long ter still can hold up. But he's also having too and fairness of Tiler guy, and I feel like he played one of his better games. He also too, but they just decide to just line up Boso over Terrence.
Speaker 10: Sorry, of course dressed.
Speaker 9: But when you have when you're stressed out and you're catching your clock is going off for this guy and this guy, I don't.
Speaker 10: Know how he's navigating that.
Speaker 9: And so he's he's either sped up or he's too slow down, if that makes sense. And when I say he's too slow down, is he's doing there's times when he's doing what you're saying, when he's going through one, two, three, four five reason and by the time he decides to go run, which he's not really doing anymore.
Speaker 5: And that's a whole other conversation, the.
Speaker 9: Guys are chasing the backside already or they're on his hips. So it's like you're one correct about him locking on different receivers right now. But I don't believe he has time. He did there were some clean pockets of time last night. Though, but I don't believe that he trusts his time. I don't believe he.
Speaker 10: Trusts His mechanics are poor right now some of that.
Speaker 9: And Dak is huge on his mechanics. I know how much he's worked on that through his career. The mechanics aren't good right now. He's not stepping up in the pocket. He's not even comfortable stepping up in the pockets. It's a lot of this is offensive line as well. And to your point, like when you go look at the routes downfield, a lot of them are three man routes because they're having some max protech, which means they're having tight ends or running backs that are no longer receiving options.
Speaker 10: That have to block so they can get plays off.
Speaker 9: But when you have a secondary drop in six and seven and coverage, they have the advantage.
Speaker 10: So the picks and the no separation and all this.
Speaker 9: Stuff, duh, Like that's what's gonna happen because in him being sped up is what's going to happen. Him pressing is what's going to happen. So this is your one hundred percent correct. A lot of this is the protection not being as good and don't get it twisted. It wasn't just the tackles Tyler Smith struggled, which was just what's going on.
Speaker 7: Everybody was in exact game.
Speaker 9: It was quite honestly, Cooper Beebe might have been your best offensive lineman last night as a whole.
Speaker 10: And that's insane.
Speaker 9: So protection you are one hundercent, right, but protection, it's just it's killing this offense right now because you're so limited.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because you.
Speaker 5: Have to protect.
Speaker 4: I agree with both of y'all, but I also I truly believe that that was a catch that Cavante Turpin should have still made it the end of the day, because you talk about the issues that this team has had all season long of trying to establish another star explosive, explosive and without Bringdon Cooks.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be that guy, and that was his opportunity to show like, hey, I can be trusted, I can step up big when needed, and he didn't, which is unfortunate, Like no nonsense.
Speaker 9: Jesse talked to us about it on the other podcast I'm on, and he told me that the level of difficulty to make that with with tracking it and don't get it was a beautiful body. You can't place it any better than what that did. I agree with you, like, I'm like, yeah, you called it, but the level of difficulty was through the roof too, So it's just like, come on, it just wasn't.
Speaker 10: It wasn't the best. It wasn't the most advantageous.
Speaker 8: Play problem in that moment. To me, that shouldn't have been the defining game, the shooting factor of the game, because you had a whole third quarter to get ahead and not rely on that to win back.
Speaker 5: What you gots. We gotta take our first break.
Speaker 4: We're gonna come back with more run game discussions because that.
Speaker 5: Was almost nonexistent yesterday as well. We'll be right back with more Girls.
Speaker 4: Talk, Boys Talk presented by Jig Saltha, a for dating partner the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball, make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound.
Speaker 5: Like something is missing.
Speaker 6: Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang.
Speaker 12: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors make every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 10: That's what I like.
Speaker 13: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality coarse ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The fake matchup on game day Dickeys Barbecue Pitt No One out smokes us. Order at dickeys dot com for groups called eight six six barber Cut on the Ramps.
Speaker 8: Hey, parents, get ready for a spook tacular time at Little Stars presented by Nuna on Wednesday, October thirtieth. This free Halloween themed event is perfect for your little pumpkins aged five and under. Join us from ten to twelve pm for fun activities, silly games, and lots of treats. Visit the Star District dot com for more information.
Speaker 4: Join us right now for the next fifteen minutes. Says, we keep talking about this matches.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 7: That's one of your better ones day.
Speaker 8: Not that I'm just saying you have like your top tier ones and then like your middle tier ones and even ones that you're like.
Speaker 7: I just don't have anything else. I'm just gonna say you be like, yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, all right, thanks appreciate this run game, ladies, ladies, ladies. The Cowboys running back room combined for almost the same amount of rushing yards that Rock Party rushed for. Uh, And obviously we needed this running back room to take a step forward against this forty nine ers team. They elevated Dalvin Cook hopefully uh to be somewhat of a change of doing that.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 4: Of course, right before the game, Rico Dalla, we're just talking about this Rico Dowdell uh sick and having to be inactive for the game.
Speaker 5: So I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I was kind of looking forward to that one two punch of how him and Dalvin Cook would be, uh sprinkling a little Zeke, but I mean you saw Zeke have a rushing touchdown. But just talk about this run game and y'all's thoughts.
Speaker 6: On, well, just six carries for Dalvin Cook, Yeah, so in twelve yards, so two yards to carry.
Speaker 10: Bad.
Speaker 6: But we didn't really get a good sample size because they couldn't really get anything going in fifty six rushing yards total, not just the running backs, but throw Turpin and Dak in there as well, and it's just not going to cut it. You're last in the league entering the game averaging seventy seven yards and you can't even reach that. You're twenty one away from that. So yeah, it was frustrating. And you know, game planning going in, you think that Rico's going to be there and then he's not, And so they had Deuce Vaughan was active for the game, but he didn't participate. He didn't play a single snap on offense or special teams. So that's basically a wasted active spot on game day that you could have used for special teams or a different position. So yeah, so the fever that Rico had over the weekend really I think through a little bit of a wrench into everything. But I know everyone was so excited about Dalvin Cook, but his grade would be I incomplete because we haven't seen enough.
Speaker 8: Are we shocked? It's the same thing, well, same thing, same conversation. Just take what I said last week or a week before about the run game and just reposted on here because it's the same thing. And that's why I'm so frustrated. You had a whole bye week to figure this out, figure out how to get the run going, so you activate Delvin cool, great, fantastic, and then you don't utilize him like you should, and again you become so one dimensional that you have to rely on your passing game because of the protection I issue to your point, so it's like almost impossible to get something going with what you have right now. But I do wish the play calling would favor sticking to the run and just get the hot hand going, because that worked for Rico and to your point, and Niclaud was also very excited to see that one too, Punch. I have no doubt that you'll see it at some point soon. I know Dalvin has two more elevations left, so we'll see how they decide to go about that, and if they make some roster moves, I don't know yet. I think that'll be something we get some clarity one sooner rather than later. But I don't know what the solution is at this point, because even having Rico in that game, if they're not going to stick to the run, wouldn't have really changed anything. What I do want to know, and what I'll talk to some of the running backs in the room about this week, is how they feel kind of about their utilization and you know, pass pro.
Speaker 7: Could be a big part of it.
Speaker 8: Like your point, to your point, Aisha is it's creating just such a one dimensional offense that you can't even have running backs run the ball because you're so worried about protection of your quarterbacks.
Speaker 7: So I'm not shocked, guys.
Speaker 8: In fact, I'll be shocked when I can actually talk about a running game being established, because it just seems so repetitive to just not have it going at this point, and I really hate that for this team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, now you said it, sister, I mean, you can't run about on the red zone this problem. I just I just feel like, Oh, as far as Darvin Cook, though, like watching him a little bit, I did see from him he does have a little acceleration still, you still see a little pop in his game that I think could be beneficial.
Speaker 10: And I was looking forward to seeing him and Rico because.
Speaker 9: Even though at this point, again it's not gonna it's not gonna change. So these are the two guys that display the most explosiveness to this point. So it's like, I do think them together could wear down a defense if done correctly.
Speaker 10: But the problem is, and again I don't know.
Speaker 9: If this is I don't know if this is scheme. I don't know if this is coaching. This offensive line is playing poorly. They have been playing poorly like this for a while. This is this, This is not the first year. Last year we were talking about a very similar thing. It's just that what I believe is that team still respected the threat of Tony Pollard.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 9: They still were like, yeah, I know he's still not one percent yet, but I think that he.
Speaker 10: Can get after it. You don't have a Tony Pollard right.
Speaker 5: Now, so there is none.
Speaker 6: Of that, I mean, or even getting to the second level to get in the open space to make them.
Speaker 9: And so from an offensive life standpoint as well, like you seeing Zach Martin fumble of himself, you seeing Tyler Smith fumbling over himself. You're seeing like and when you to me, here's my thing, And this is no different than like, if you're a teacher, if my best best, my best students are failing the test, we might need to find out, like what the disconnect is because your best offensive linemen are struggling and there's some compensating and things like that. Yeah, what is the communication? It's what they're doing. Are they doing what is conducive to what they do well. This run game was even better to me last year, and Tyron Smith was not that great in the run game and.
Speaker 10: Still was better last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So to me, to your point about the run game, it's like it's not working for several reasons, and I think we're gonna find out more so why the protection stuff too, But it's the lack of run game is killing this team is killing the quarterback. And you had three minutes left and you could not And let me also say this, sand Fran's run defense is not that great anymore.
Speaker 10: They are mid tier, they have.
Speaker 9: Been mid tier since last year, and you still just could not move the ball. And to your point, in the third quarter, I felt like they maybe saw that they thought they could pass the ball more. At that point sand Frian had adjusted to what they had been doing. Then that's a whole another conversation.
Speaker 10: So it's like.
Speaker 9: If you can't run the ball, man, like you're screwed, dude, Like I'm sorry, Like this is this is just where we are.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you something.
Speaker 4: How serious do you feel like they are in figuring out.
Speaker 5: The issues in this run game.
Speaker 6: Of course they're serious. About figuring it out.
Speaker 10: I don't know how serious.
Speaker 9: Seriously, I don't know how serious because you had similar issues last year, yet you you were starting back to the same people now you've drafted. And even so, like Tyler Geydon again one of his better games. He's never been a run blocking tackle. He would that what he was in his game out of college has did. He show some things in preseason like okay, I see some nasty and you big dog.
Speaker 10: I see you can get out in space. I can see you.
Speaker 9: But so much about the run game and getting to the second level is hand placements and latch.
Speaker 10: He struggles with that.
Speaker 5: So it's like, as then he lets go too soon.
Speaker 10: He can't. He's strugg I think he has good grip strength. I've seen his grip strength. He can do some tiring stuff with his grip strength.
Speaker 9: But it's like finding a man not holding, latching and driving him out to play. He struck with the contact on contact finding a man. Cooper Beebie gets to the second level. Tyler Smith can get to the second level. Terrence Steele has the ability to get to the second level. He's not as clean. Zach Martin still can still not as clean. But like god man, like you, guys cannot do any they have. They have not been able to get to the second level as an offensive line for two years. That to me deserves a bigger conversation. So I don't know if they're really trying to fix it, because if you're really trying to fix it, then you have to look at philosophy, you have to look at all of those because clearly your guys are not retaining this. They're not getting better. If anything, they're regressing. I understand guys are older, you have young guys and things like that.
Speaker 10: It should not be this difficult to run a dive.
Speaker 8: Yep, dude, I'm gonna. I'm gonna play neutral white flag over here. No, no, no, no, it needs to be said. And here's the thing. I freaking hope they're taking it serious.
Speaker 7: It's their job.
Speaker 14: Like here at the point at the end of they're taking it all. Y'all are on one year contracts.
Speaker 7: So if you're not.
Speaker 14: Taking it serious, see ya, But then you're not gonna be here in ten weeks having these.
Speaker 6: Because if it were easy, it would have been done already.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not gonna I'm not faulting the players for this. I'm not gonna sit here and say you have the wrong personnel.
Speaker 7: We don't know.
Speaker 8: You don't actually know what this run game can look like because your play caller doesn't like play up to the running backs that you have that are your strongest ones. You barely establish Rico's you're starting running backs. You're a little late on that, buddy, Like I wanted to hear that in training camp. That's how far far behind you are.
Speaker 7: Thank you in establishing this.
Speaker 8: And so for me, man, I'm almost cussed like four times here because this really upsets me. And I'm not Chris, I got you. I'm not gonna cuss, but it upsets me because here you're talking about how serious are they're taking it. I'm not faulting the personnel for this. I'm not faulting Rico. I'm not faulting Dalvin, I'm not faulting Deuce.
Speaker 7: Hunter, Zeke.
Speaker 8: They are doing what they are being told to do. And for me, to your point, if a teacher's best students are failing, who is the teacher in this?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 8: Mike McCarthy is running your running running back, coach, your offensive line? Who do you put the fault on?
Speaker 7: Here for me.
Speaker 8: Look, Mike, I'm sorry, Like, I just don't feel like there has been enough self reflection to understand that your play calling is not favoring a part of this offense that it really needs to protection aside offensive line struggles, aside. You need to run the ball, figure it out, call the plays, get them comfortable with it, because how are they supposed to get better in their run blocking if you're not doing it. Like I hope they're taking it serious, but to me, I don't think it's a matter of taking it serious. I just don't think that they want this offense to be a run offense. And that's okay, but it still has to be a factor in your game. You can be a pass first offense all you want, but at the end of the day, like you're aren't here for pass pro, your tight ends aren't just here for pass pro. Let them do their damn jobs, which is get your tight ends involved in the receiving game. Let your running backs run the ball, because it's essentially at the end of the day, I feel like it's wasted time for them. It's wasted film that you're not putting on for these players who potentially are on contract, yours might not be here next year. What are you doing, like, I've been so frustrated with this run game for two years. To your point, Aisha Nicoley answer your question, I hope so, because if not, your time here is running short, like and it sucks because I don't really think that helps the culture problem that people talk about or want to create a discussion about. You get another head coach than what like it, it doesn't help anything.
Speaker 6: So it feels you want to run the ball about forty five percent of the time, McCarthy has told us sad. But when you're averaging less than three yards to carry and you fall behind the sticks and get get yourself in second and third and long situations, then we scream about that. So, yeah, goat are they executing.
Speaker 5: The run game?
Speaker 6: Obviously not. Would McCarthy love to call run plays. Yes, it's your quarterback better when he has a run game and can hand the ball off, of course. Yeah, but you have to execute.
Speaker 9: It and yeah, and that's that's the good person say. It's notice the execution is just not there. I'm over it all right.
Speaker 5: Well, on that note, we're gonna take our second break.
Speaker 4: You're watching girls top boys stock person of by Jack Southern for Dame part of the Dallas Cowboys will be right back.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality course ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day, and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dickey's Barbecue pitt No One out smokes. Order at Dickey's dot com for groups called eight six six barber cut.
Speaker 5: On the rims.
Speaker 12: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 13: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home. But to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: Have two at and T Stadium to experience Rally Day presented by Zeke, Seat Geek, Oh my Goodness on Saturday November ninth, from ten am to two pm. Get ready to cheer on your Dallas Cowboys with tours of AT and T Stadium, autographs from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, and ticket giveaways games and even more T and T Stadium slash Really days to get your tickets.
Speaker 4: Today looking at those highlights just pisses me off.
Speaker 7: Facing it.
Speaker 5: No, No, I know we have to wrap things up, ladies.
Speaker 4: We didn't get a chance to talk defense at I'll will leave that for tomorrow. But just one thing moving forward that you want to see out of this team heading into Sunday.
Speaker 5: I know there's a week to prepare, but one thing.
Speaker 4: I know there's plenty, but you got to just choose one one thing that this team needs to focus on this week in order to just write the ship.
Speaker 6: They've been focusing on it takeaways and they haven't gotten results. I'll give an example. Demarian Overshown was one of the few players who spoke in the locker room after the game, and he talked about the need for takeaways, and he specifically spoke to his sack late in the fourth quarter, which forced the punt and gave the Cowboys offensive chance, albeit from their own twenty five yard line. Following the punt, he says, if you know if you know, I should have gone for the ball, should you know, tried to knock it out a party's hands when I sacked him. So that's an example. Now de Marvion made a great play and good job on the sack, but that's an example of a play that was a great play that could have truly been a catalytic play if they had forced the fumble.
Speaker 8: You know, I would say run game, but well, I'm just I'm gonna drop that because that's not Yeah, anyways, I'm gonna say there's no point in dwelling on it is not.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say.
Speaker 8: Less chunk plays from opposing offenses because that defined.
Speaker 7: Your game once again.
Speaker 8: Is allowing chunk passes, big runs to fine how this forty nine ers team was able to come back and beat you and ended up being kind of one of your boogeymen once again, is allowing these chunk plays.
Speaker 7: It's been kind of an.
Speaker 8: Over a pattern over the last few weeks. So I really want the defense to gain their confidence back and allowing themselves to create big plays themselves and not allow it to be happening to that moment over again.
Speaker 9: Yeah, agreed, Uh, I thought that Mike Zimmer came out and tried to do some things, tried to find some ways to try to get this defense going and worked.
Speaker 10: San France called on figured it out how to counter it.
Speaker 9: They're very pigeon held by their lack of pass rush, trade deadline wind that's next week.
Speaker 10: Next week is next Tuesday.
Speaker 9: As a matter of f so guess what this is the week we're still best starting getting move people, getting phone.
Speaker 10: Pick up the phone.
Speaker 9: Like the Chiefs literally traded for Josh today from the Patriots, adding to fantastic.
Speaker 5: Still the team that they are.
Speaker 9: Their defense is one of the best in the league. They were able to get this gentleman who's a legitimate speed rusher for sixth rounder.
Speaker 8: Here's what I'll say, keep expectations a low and you don't get disappointed, babes. No.
Speaker 9: I mean, what I'm saying is is like your lack of pass rush is killing your defense.
Speaker 10: It's it's hurting more to me.
Speaker 9: It's hurting worse than you not being able to stop the run right now, you cannot apply pressure. Brock Perty was back there chilling, he was hanging out.
Speaker 10: He had too much time.
Speaker 7: So the point where he's.
Speaker 10: Like where he's messing up.
Speaker 9: Listen, I would hope that maybe they would see if Michael depends on what Michael's timetable is.
Speaker 10: If they want to go try to win all.
Speaker 9: The rest of their divisional games and make a run, they need to get another and they need to get another speed rusher.
Speaker 5: So that's me trade deadline.
Speaker 4: I agree with all of y'all, but I'm also going to add I want Dak to be more assertive as far as just be more commanding at the line of scrimmage. We saw rock party just even though he did have a little bit more time, so we can't really dock him for that.
Speaker 5: A lot of it, a lot of it.
Speaker 4: But he also made plays on his own, extended drives on his own, and that's something that I feel like has been missing from this offense. So as long as I can see a little bit more of that from Dak, I think that at least it'll take somewhat of the next step.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's gonna.
Speaker 4: Help you, certainly a step in the right direction.
Speaker 7: We can ask for this point more to break.
Speaker 4: Down over the next couple of days. Tomorrow we'll be breaking down the defense. What went wrong, what went right? A little bit of what went right in Mike zimmer Ah and the rest of this Dallas Cowboys defense. But Raisha Morrison, Just Navarees, Christie Scales, Nicole Hutchinson.
Speaker 5: We will see y'all back here tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club