Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Carolline Hide in New York and Eva Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up and Thropic rebuffs investors pushing offers on funding that would value it at more than eight hundred billion dollars plus.
Speaker 3: Metro expands a multi billion dollar partnership with Broadcom to design and build custom.
Speaker 2: Chips and ASML the supply of cutting edge chip making machines raises, it's for your sales forecast. Is AI demand fuels growth.
Speaker 3: And that demand is fueling growth. When it comes to the benchmarks today, ed despite the ongoing anxiety about conflict in the Middle East, but hope optimism that some sort of extension to the ceasefire might be found, we are at or near record highs. The S and P five hundred is at a new record high. We hold onto these games towards the closed we're up three tens of percent. Then aw's that one hundred ever so closed to a record high that it had last year, up six tens of percent. But look at the length of games that we have had then, as that one hundred is now up for eleven straight days. It is increased by thirteen percent over that stretch. So long as win in streets is twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: N single movers, this is what's driving the market right now. Look at Broadcom up almost four percent, Metas actually also pushing high. I think that's probably more in line with where the market's at right now. This is an expansion of an existing agreement. Broadcom works with Meta for their custom silicon, and later in the block we're going to talk to Mandate saying who leads our research and Bloomberg Intelligence. It was going to take a look at some of the pictures from when I visited Meta and get into detail about what those chips actually are. In private markets is where the big story is right now, and Tropic is drawing investor interests at evaluation of eight hundred billion dollars or higher. That would be a massive jump from its three hundred and fifty billion dollar price tag. Just in February, bluemokes that Tasha Mascarene is part of the team that broke this story.
Speaker 4: Let's be super clear.
Speaker 2: This is investors going to Anthropic and saying, you guys should raise money at this valuation, we want to do this, and Entropic saying we do not want to do this at this time.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're absolutely right. I mean, we've both been covering the AI boom long enough to know that the investor interest can soon turn into an actual deal. But in the case of Anthropic, I mean, they close their employee tender at around half of this new valuation just earlier this month, and so right now we're seeing Nthropic push back on those prices. But these are serious term sheets that we're hearing or even encroaching higher than eight hundred.
Speaker 4: And investors think the evaluation.
Speaker 5: On the valuation, Yes, and investors think that that's a good deal.
Speaker 3: Right now, Natasha, what sort of amount would they want to raise? Could they need to raise? Because as much as they steal all the headlines, if ideas that Opus four point seven is coming soon according to reporting, or indeed that we see Mythos being very staged rolled out, there is this concern that maybe it's stage because there isn't the access to compute and that costs money.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean, I think at this point we don't know the exact numbers of how large the raise could be, but we do know that there is this time crunch that everyone is thinking about when it comes to Anthropic the IPO. As we've reported, this is a company that has already been a high profile startup for the past two years. But now there's this really real ticking time crunch for an IPO as soon as October, as we've reported, and so I believe that we're going to see new capital talks continue pretty relentlessly until then. It's really just a decision of if Anthropic needs it thinks it needs to secure that capital before it makes the jump into the public markets. To your point, the new model gives a real exact pinpoint reason to where where the capital would go at this moment.
Speaker 3: Brilliant reporting has always been braised in attach and mascotiness. Thanks so much, winning us on all things Anthropic. Let's go from private back to the public markets. So you see Meta up almost two percent, broad coom is up three point six percent. That's as they expanded that multi billion dollar partnership with the chip maker to design and build custom chips to power social media giants AI ambitions. Bloombag Intelligence has said that the move along when Meta's new news spark model shows stronger confidence and in house chips for inference. Though Meta could face more pressure on spending returns without a cloud business. Many seeing BlueBag intelligence helps pen that note joins us right now and just talk to us a little bit man deep about well, the desire to custom chips, what sort of edge does it give it when it's already dependent on AMD and video two.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, the proof is what Google has done with TPUs and when you think about, you know, token efficiency, there is no better company than Google when it comes to how they have ramped up TPUs for both training and influencing workloads. And now that Meta is getting more confident about it's on model, they have redesigned the pre training stack over the last nine months. They feel they're at a point where they are looking for token efficiency and I think that's where they want to go to the custom silicon route. It's worked for them when it comes to recommendation engines and now they want to do the same on the accelerator side with Broadcom Mandy.
Speaker 2: But I want to look at the specific Meta chips themselves MTIA Meta Training Inference Accelerator. These are some images that we took when we visited the MTIA Lab last month and basically how it works is right. They work with Broadcom on the design and architecture of the silicon and Broadcom then goes to TSMC and TS and what this deal represents is expanded volume commitment on that existing technology. You can check out you know, Bloomber's coverage of the specifics of the accelerators. At the same time, Meta is a big buyer of GPUs and other accelerators from elsewhere.
Speaker 4: That part of your.
Speaker 2: Research that you say they might be inhibited by lack of a cloud computing business. What do you mean by that if there's such a great buyer of capacity, Well.
Speaker 4: So think of it this way.
Speaker 6: If you are buying in video chips in volume, you want to rent them through your cloud business because for Microsoft, Azure or Amazon or even Google for that matter, it's a big source of you know, cloud revenue, cloud infrastructure revenue that these companies are generating in their respective segments. For a Meta, if you're focused on token efficiency and you're buying the most expensive chips out there without a cloud business, that makes that ROI equation very hard. And you know, they're at a point where they feel good about their model. They have three billion users to serve in terms of inferencing, they want to do it with their own chip.
Speaker 3: Is there average chance that with excess compute it does start becoming more of a cloud company matter.
Speaker 6: I don't think so, just because of the surface area they have with the family of apps, you know, WhatsApp, Instagram, the core Blue App, three billion users. If we are talking about personalized intelligence and you know AI agents that really work for consumers, they have you know, a lot of demand for inferencing that they can use their own infrastructure force. So to my mind, they should have done this probably a few years back in terms of starting a cloud business like Oracle did you know with this dep wave, But probably it's too late now.
Speaker 2: Those MTIA chips, what they are useful currently is is ranking recommendations in timelines. That's right, really focused on inference. So the idea that they leased them out, you've got to come back and get more into that. Man Deep seeing a Bloomberg Intelligence top Research. Thank you very much. Let's continue with this sort of AI demand story. Look at shares of ASML down four point four percent. Now the supplier cutting edge hip making Machines raised its four year sales forecast, but that brought it in line with analyst estimates and attention already turning to what can be expected for next year twenty twenty seven. Let's discuss with Tammy Chew. She's the head of Tech equity research at Behremberg. So it's kind of this contradiction, right. The headline is like really positive, raising that guidance, raising that outlook. The demand is clearly there, the stock falls and so like, it seems like the expectations were high. People are already looking much further ahead in terms of that demand picture.
Speaker 4: What was your read on it?
Speaker 7: Sure, So that's a very big point. So basically I would say don't forget that. To start with, ASMI is already up nearly forty percent year to date, and semi equipment segment has been one of the strongest i would say subsegment in tech year to date in this year. So therefore I would call the set of results reported by ASMO today as solid. They raised a four year guidance by four percent. The Q one gross margin was way above constant expectation because of strow mix. At the same time, they confirm that they are increasing their capacity to about at least eighty UV tools from at least sixty UVI tools year in twenty twenty seven. So I would say the set of results has been very strong, but at the same time as the most let's say successful, our high profile tech company in Europe Asmo's always well owned and asmox location has always been elevated. So I would call today's share price movement as just lack of revision on the back of this solid set of results instead of anything which is worse to me.
Speaker 2: Can we just linger for a moment what you just said, eighty eight zero EUV machines. So a lot of people they'll say, hold on, I don't understand that this is the world's most important maker of machines in the chip manufacturing process and they're guiding that they'll make eighty of them. Of course, the context is there one hundred million dollars apiece. Just explain why that number is significant?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 7: Of course, So those tools you are correct are sold for two hundred and thirty million each, So those are probably one of the most expensive set of tool in the market or in the world. And I would say that it's important because we are moving from sixty in this year and we were at about forty few years ago. So therefore, from forty to eighty, they're already doubling that capacity. They can serve the market, which is showing that AI demand and memory demand has been super solid over the next let's say six months or two years, and going forward is likely to support the further expuilled expansion of AI market or memory market. So therefore, as a result, I would say that eighty number, it doesn't look like a big number, but don't forget those tools are two hundred and thirty million each and we were at forty two years ago.
Speaker 3: Are they in any way supply strained here? Tammy? I mean some on the straight and hope to see the number ninety thrown around. Is there a limitation factor to them? Could they be making more so?
Speaker 7: In our being, we don't think that asma will be a bottleneck. You are right that ninety was mentioned previously as the potential capacity number, but ASMO has been super careful in terms of building capacity as for customer demand, because you don't want to end up in the situation that you build ninety tools or whatever the number is, but there is no demand for that. So therefore, as a result, I would say that eighty number is a result of smo's discussion with customers and that eighty number for the time being is a reflection of asmo's agreement with customer how to serve the and the market demand. And I don't think it's a limitation in theory. In my view, Asma can actually do more. Is the customer need more and what ASMO has been needing is to hire more people expand with their supply chain. So I don't think or be the bottleneck.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the demand constraints or fulfillment, because it feels as though it's insatiable in terms of need for chips and therefore needs for equipment. But they had exposure to China. How is that continued to unfold?
Speaker 7: So from a China perspective, China used to be forty percent of their business two years ago and now with the non China business been growing strongly, China is about sub twenty percent of the total business, and China has been stable. I would say China was slightly better than the previous expected and China will be stable in this year. But in this quarter, the four year race was purely because of non China business was stronger than expected. So going forward, I would say ASM what will be continued to be driven by this non China business, AI investment memory shortage to further continue as the case for the next few years. And China. I do have the view that China will be flatish and China is working on their localization. Of course, month for China is not likely to fall off the cliff. So therefore, as a result, in conclusion, over the next few years a SMO will be driven by both factors, which non China business will likely to be the key driver.
Speaker 2: Talking about two hundred and thirty million for for EUV, I mean if you think about twin scan exc some of the people I talked to you go sub tun animeter. They can get three hundred and fifty million for that. We'll get back to it at another day. There's a big project. It's called TERRAFAB. It's basically on paper, but it says that in the future there'll be one terrawat of compute capacity put through fabs operated by Tesla, SpaceX and XAI. That would on paper make them one of the biggest buyers of ASML's equipment. Have you and the team modeled for that being real or for you, is it still an idea.
Speaker 7: I mean, we would love to and you're absolutely right. So ASMO do have a version of machine which cost three hundred and fifty million, which is called hi Enna. That's probably we'll be seen when Terrrafab is ready to take equipment. So for the time being, we haven't put Terrorfab in our numbers, but as for our understanding, the intention is real and there has been discussion already within the supply chain of our Terrafab, but for the time being, it won't be something happening in the significant way from a number perspective over the next two years, So therefore we haven't reflected that, but I do hope that we can put that in numbers in two years.
Speaker 3: Siven, We love the numbers. Timing to you, thanks for joining us, head of Tech Equity Research at Bahreenberg. Great to have you with us. Now, we've got a key conversation coming up with the IMF Managing Director Carstilina goo Java as the IMF Spring meetings they are underway in Washington. We're going out to Francin Laquar in a minute, discipling their tech. Let's talk about where the IMF is right now. Spring meetings are upon us in Washington. Francin Lava is alongside the IMF Managing Director, Christine Millenakle, gavea please take it away, fancy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 8: I'm so delighted to be really here by the host of the whole show where everyone from around the world shows up, Christina Gregeva, thank you so much for joining us. Look the IMF and your world economic outlook. Everyone here has read it three times just to understand exactly what the dynamic is.
Speaker 4: You've down credited your forecast. But there's also a.
Speaker 8: Scenario where the world economy skims recession.
Speaker 9: How likely is that depends on the longevity of the war in the Middle East and the scale of infrastructure destruction that happens see in the countries over there, and that is the big anon. We now have ceased fire. I pray it turns into a ruble peace, and in that case we can see somewhat faster recovery. But the uncertainty has been profound, and we only need to learn to operate in an environment of high end and permanent uncertainty.
Speaker 8: And even if there's a ceasefire that stays okay and there's some kind of diplomatic resolution. Is a market discounting the real impact on the price of all and their for inflation.
Speaker 9: Well, let me just say that even if the war ends tomorrow, it would take quite some time for the recovery to kick in, not only because of the infrastructure destruction. Tankers are slow moving vessels. A tanker that leads today would take forty days to reach the Pacific islands, So we have to keep in mind that the impact is already baked in. Why are markets so optimistic? I think part of the reason is because there is a high concentration of financial assets in the United States. The US economy is doing well. It is relatively not so impacted because the US is an export and not importer, and that creates that picture of dynamism and vibrancy. But I can tell you that's not the story of the rest of the world. In the rest of the world already there is a lot of pain.
Speaker 8: So I mean, does that mean that the market is mispricing, that all this market exuberance is actually misplaced?
Speaker 9: What it means is that markets are geared by events in the largest economy that are really positive. The United States is the only large economy that has high productivity growth, and markets are seeing that technology optimism is here. Markets are rushing on it. But should they be more caution? I would argue yes, because what we are seeing in terms of supply chain disruptions is already quite significant. And with every day that passes, that anchor is not levius living for a destination, and that delays the rebounds of the world economy.
Speaker 8: How much do you worry about governments trying to overadjust if inflation expectations goes up, and actually how much of a mess would this be?
Speaker 9: And so such an important question. So look at what is happening. Short term inflation expectations have moved up, not by much, though we have increased our inflation projection from three point eight percent to four point two percent. It is up, but not dramatically and very important. Long term inflation expectations don't budge. They're well anchored made they stay this way. So it is very important that central banks act carefully. Those that are in a good position of credibility, they can take weight and see attitude. They also have to signal we are prepared to act if it is necessary. But please don't rush my word is because of twenty two. Now central banks may say let's move faster, and that could be very dangerous because it would suffocate growth.
Speaker 8: I mean, we're looking back at every IMF World Bank meetings since twenty twenty. They spent something. Twenty twenty was COVID twenty twenty two. Of course, it was the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Then you had terriffs. I mean a shock after shock.
Speaker 9: So it looks like a layer cake, shock upon shock upon shock, except it is not at all tasty. I can tell you that everybody has to absorb reality and realities. We are in a more shocked prone world. Shocks will continue to come. What does it mean for fiscal authorities? The buffers when you are in good time, don't way your resources for monetary policy, Calibrate policy carefully, be prepared to active if and when necessary, and everywhere. Countries have to be much more alert to the high uncertainty within which we operate. Agility, adaptability, this is what we have to do.
Speaker 8: How worried are you about the UK? This was one of the countries I was down graded the most.
Speaker 9: I mean they are downgraded, but also we see the UK very mature approach to policy. The UK is very careful not to go into indiscriminate spending and Bank of England is very clear around the approach they are going to take the right approach to this situation. Actually, we see the UK in terms of fiscal response as a good example for others, because many other countries are rushing to throw money they don't have out of the good intention to help people. It has to be targeted, it has to be temporary, and it has to be done within the fiscal band boundaries of countries, and the UK is doing that. UK is also a country where there is a recognition that your best defense is growth. Pro growth policies are gonna be your buffer for the future. Not easy, But.
Speaker 8: I also want to ask you about Look the US is again President Trump is going after j Powell saying, look, you'll fire family, doesn't step down from the Fed. I mean, we go back to this idea of central bank independence. How problematic is it, especially in a time where actually central banks are a very very difficult job at hand.
Speaker 9: We have decades of evidence that independence center banks are an economic asset. They serve well when they have the opportunity to make decisions and the space to make decisions responsibly. And I can tell you one very interesting fact, center banks in emerging market economies outperformed their advanced economy peers. They have built that independence strength of data dependent policy making.
Speaker 8: Again, market seems to look through a lot of these concerns. Just we're you that the function of almost keeping things and tracks working differently.
Speaker 9: On one level, it is good that the economy functions because getting into panic is not going to help. So good functioning of markets is helping. Having that, we have seen titaning of financial conditions by some but not by man. We have seen currency depreciation of some emerging markets, again not dramatically. As long as we have a trajectory for the war to end and for economic activity to restart, we are in a very good place. But if you have a prolonged periods of time, it would be hard to keep optimistic.
Speaker 8: And I also wanted to ask you a little bit about some new countries or all countries that you know are trying to access some of your programs. I wanted to start with Venezuela, so CEE imf ready to recognize the acting president to start negotiations.
Speaker 9: At this point, Venezuela does not have recognition by majority of members. This being said, we are prepared to engage. Actually at a junior technical level. We have been approached in good faith by the Venezuelan authorities. They desperately need help because, as you know, the economy shrank from this to one third. They have a risk of hyperinflation knocking on the door. Eight million people are outside of the country. So once our membership decides, even when they decide to recognize, we are ready to go. It is a matter of membership. I can tell you one thing that there is an understanding among the region, the neighbors of Venezuela, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Chile. They don't want a failed state. They want Venezuela engaging with the funds.
Speaker 8: And do thank you so much for joining. I also send it back to your New York Fancine.
Speaker 3: A fantastic interview as ever, and we've got more coming from you. Next up the ECB Governing Council member the s A. Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to blue Tech.
Speaker 2: The European Central Bank is facing a pivotal decision at the end of the month. Inflation risks are building daily. Is the Iran conflict drives energy prices higher. Bloomberg's Francine Lacroix is standing by with Jakim Nagel, Bundesbank President and Governing Council member of the European Central Bank Frean scene.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you so much, and I'm so delighted to speak to Yo Kenago. Thank you governor for joining us. Like you've said that a hike in April is an option if the inflation outlooks ours. Are we there yet?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it is a very opaque situation. I think I believe from today, from this time point, I would say there's not enough clarity what will happen in April. But I still keep the position that we should have all the optionalities that are necessary to tackle the situation, and we will take into account the data we will have in April, and then we will see.
Speaker 8: And I understand things flutuate, you know, on an hourly basis, But what do you need to happen to support a rate hikin April.
Speaker 10: Well, what I see is that this cretion around the strait of farmus is a very essential one. This is the little heel of the world economy. So this has to be resolved, and I believe this is ongoing, this uncertainty, and this will trigger also uncertainty regarding oil prices. Everything what is going around in the world is dependent on that question. This is a bottleneck, and so I believe two weeks can bring a lot of new information and we will take that into account.
Speaker 8: Good information as well, because you know, to be clear, I'm not a military strategist, but at the moment it's very difficult to see a way forward in the immediate term.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm not a military expert on that, but what I see is a lot of around this question. So, as I alluded to, is changing on a daily basis. So it's all about cheer economics in geopolitics, and from a monetary policy point of view, it's definitely not a very comfortable situation. I think it developed a little bit better over the course of the last week, but it's still a very delicate situation and as I said, a lot of uncertainties around this question.
Speaker 4: President.
Speaker 8: I mean, a lot of households, right, especially in Europe, will have the memory of twenty twenty two, the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Is that what's lifting also inflation expectations, maybe higher than warranted.
Speaker 9: I can't exclude this.
Speaker 10: I think it's you're perfectly right that households learned from the crisis in twenty twenty two, So we have to see how how they might react, how their reaction function is. This is one of the things we have to look at momentarily. I would say, on a medium term, inflation seems to be well anchored, but this can change. So it's really too early to say that we are again on a safe ground. It's still it's a very shaky situation.
Speaker 8: What the central banks learn from twenty twenty two. There's a lot of criticism that you were a little bit late to the game. Does that mean it gets readjusted in twenty six Well.
Speaker 10: I would say the situation in twenty two two was a different one. We came out of the pandemic now we are when this war started in the Middle East, we were pretty much on our targets, so the situation was completely different. Twenty twenty two, inflation was already high, so it is not the same situation. But we learned something from twenty twenty two. We will look at it and we will assess the situation again when we are coming together in Europe deciding about the future rate pass, but there is no pre commitment where we are going. I think we should have our flexibility here what we do and this gives us some let me see humto maneuver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again.
Speaker 8: Because the situation is so fluid, there are a number of scenarios. But does the baseline that the ECB has already warrant hikes?
Speaker 10: Well, I think the baseline scenario was based on data of bits of March. So now we're here four or five weeks later, so I would say we're somewhere in between our baseline scenario and our edwords scenario. Now we have to find out where it's going. It's going back to the baseline, Sinni. I'm a very happy person. But as I said, we should keep our flexibility. I think this is the strength of good central banking that we should take to We should take into account all the necessary information and then draw the right conclusions.
Speaker 8: But if it doesn't go back to baseline next three weeks, is that what warrants a hike. I'm trying to understand. Again, it's a timeline, right, so you're trying to hit a moving target.
Speaker 10: I will not exclude one or the other thing. I think this is something. It is too early to say where we are going. And as I said, I need more information about this keepingtionalities, I have to repeat myself here and then and then then we will and then we will see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm trying to push in your stigus Gods, I like that.
Speaker 4: This is this is the game. Look.
Speaker 9: Your twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: Five strategy review also says that under certain circumstances, preemptive action to the anchoring may be necessary. Is I mean, were you thinking about a scenario like this?
Speaker 10: Well, I think up still now I do not see any de anchoring of inflation expectations. So this is good news, but this could could change. Maybe it's too early to come to the conclusion that everything is all right. So I guess we need some time and coming back to one pound. As long as the situation in the Middle East around the Strait of Hormouse is not resolved. If there's not a stable, let me say, situation about this bottleneck that is so important for the world's economy, the danger is rising that we will see again an inflation push. Uncertainty might go up even further, and this might trigger than a process that could really become very really, very tricky and I guess also dangerous government.
Speaker 8: I haven't mean, we've talked about hikes, but I haven't asked you about how you calibrate it. I mean, could you see two hikes a two point five percent sending a message of the mean business but actually not too much.
Speaker 9: Well, like baby hikes.
Speaker 10: You will not get from you any we say indication. I see what markets are, what is the market expectation? Well, as always I think the market. We'll see how we react in the governing council in Europe, and.
Speaker 8: I have to take this sy decent approach, I understand, which is why I love interviewing so much. But you know, would you say that equity markets are off, but actually option markets for hikes are, They're in a better place, because again we're not sure what the market is looking at.
Speaker 10: I appreciate the optimism of the equity markets. I think it is helpful to a certain extent that there's not more, let me say, trouble lens we see from from equity markets or stock markets. But again we should be very vigilant, very cautious, take all necessary information and look what's happened, what will happen over the course of the upcoming next two weeks, and I hope really that we will find a solution how to stabilize the situation.
Speaker 8: In the middle is if you see inflation and what's your paying threshold for looking at inflation GLO above target, if it's a bit short lived, like inflation at three percent, four percent, design like what you know, what's a trigger red alert sign.
Speaker 10: It looks like at least for the moment, As I said, we cannot say well, this is transitory or that will stay for a longer period. I will not tagle one number or give you one number that would make get me to that or maybe two that would make me nervous.
Speaker 4: So it is.
Speaker 10: It is not a very comfortable situation. But at the end, I believe we will deliver on our Minday, this is a surprise the ability and we will do everything what is necessary to keep the interest rates to where they are or change. We will decide on that in two weeks.
Speaker 8: Government, Thank you so much, it's always such a pleasure to speak to you.
Speaker 9: That was a bundessbag.
Speaker 8: President. I can naggle with that. I'm going to send it back to your New York and I'll have plenty more from IOMs throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Francy in Laqua, thank you very much. Let's get back to what's happening in technology and financial markets then, as that one hundred is up for an eleventh straight session, eleventh straight day, it's best run of gains since December of twenty nineteen. It's not quite at the record highs that it hit in October, but it's getting pretty close. And within that, a single name that I've been looking at is Tesla, up for a fifth straight day of gains, best run since September. Now, the story with Tesla is that it's lagged some of the megacap peers, so a kind of rally in terms of catch up makes a lot of sense. But at that gain of seven and a half percent, it's on track for its best day also since September.
Speaker 3: Carrac Yeah, let's focus in on another single name, Ed and it's on the higher side, but for reasons that it's cutting up to sixteen percent of its workforce. Talking about Snap and then push to end the years of losses.
Speaker 11: More on that.
Speaker 3: Next, this is Blue meg Tech. Let's check in on shares of Snap. They are rallying some nine percent a day, and the company is planning to cut it's people. About one thousand jobs will go sixteen percent thereof of staff and says it pushes to really raining costs and try and reach profitability. Blommog social media reporter Alex Learn wrote up the story and look, they're also closing down New Hire, so that's another three hundred that will not be replenished. Is this an AI play or is this really about just having less people to do more.
Speaker 12: I think it's a little bit of both. CEO Evan Spiegel sent in internal memo to employees this morning explaining his thinking around this, and he really referenced what he started starting last fall has been describing as a crucible moment where where Snap is really having to just move faster, break things, and really push more aggressively to achieve profitability. And so even though he did say that AI is one part of this, I think it's just one part of a larger story for them.
Speaker 2: In the memo, Alex Spiegel kind of outlines that in the dollar terms, how much money they think they can save and so go over those details. But they're still on track, it seems to go ahead with the plan for the augmented reality glasses.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but what I will say is yes, they are still planning to go ahead later this year with the debut of their first consumer pair of augmented reality glasses. I think, though, one thing that we should really be watching as the year progresses is what happens on the global, national and global regulatory stage. One piece I think that has been really challenging the business for Snap is just this growing, this growing push all around the world, including the United States, to ban social media for teams under the age of sixteen, to rain in some of the alleged addicted, addictive features on the platforms, as we've seen in some of the trials that are playing out in California. And I think all of those are our shure to sort of hang a cloud over any of the other exciting announcements and progress the company may make throughout the year.
Speaker 2: You said in the memo that the job cuts and hiring pullback will cut or reduce snaps annualized cost base by about five hundred million dollars by the second half of this year. Bloomberg's Alex Lavine with the details on snap Open AI is giving a select group of users access to a new AI model to help them find cybersecurity vulnerabilities. The move, of course, comes just one week after Rival and Thropic announced the limited release of Mythos due to concerns it may be capable of powering cyber attacks. Let's get the latest with Bloomberg's AI reporter Rachel Metz. And you know, it speaks for it's self the timing. But what do we need to know about Opening Eyes offering here? Who it's being made available to is also an important point in the context of how Anthropic handled their role.
Speaker 13: Out Sure, so Opening I started this program back in February actually, where they started allowing a trusted user base, a very small number of people at the time, to try out some of their models that they were going to be making available that would be tuned more toward finding cybersecurity vulnerabilities and probing for these kinds of things. And now what they're saying is this new model is going to be helpful for people in this program, a subset of people in this program to look for these things, kind of similar to what Anthropic is doing with Mythos. And they're allowing also a limited number of people. So Opening Eye is going to have just a handful of people. I think they might have said either dozens or hundreds initially, and then they're going to enlarge the number of people that are allowed to access this model, but it'll still be like individual cybersecurity people and then some companies that they work with that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really interesting different way of doing it than the mythos unravel because we're seeing people coming on this show the smaller cyber focus who haven't got access really want to or want to be able to help plug any of these vulnerabilities. But also what's notable is Opening I had set up this sort of cybersecurity program that people could go and apply for months ago. It's back in February, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean they've been working on various cybersecurity related things over a long period of time. This new model that they have, they're saying this is, you know, this is fine tuned to be especially meant for finding cybersecurity vulnerabilities, and it also is a little more permissive in the way that it lets people use it to look for those kinds of issues, where like a normal model that you use with chat GPT for instance, might not be able to do that. So it'll be interesting to see what kinds of things people say that they're finding who's using it. We still don't really know about who is being enabled to use this model, and also like how that compares versus people that are using mythos, which it sounds as of yet like it there are really varying results and opinions on that.
Speaker 4: Rachel, just a few basics.
Speaker 2: Is this model that open AI is making a limited release of in the cyber security context an open source model, or it's closed and just being made available to a small group of existing customers. That distinction I put to you because like people that come on the show basically argue that this is why open source works in this context.
Speaker 4: If you want the market to.
Speaker 2: Be able to test vulnerabilities, that would be a good method.
Speaker 13: Quickly, Yeah, I mean I think that, well, this is not an open source or an open weight model, and part of the reasoning behind that could be that such a model could also be used to find the vulnerabilities in other people so systems. So it'll be interesting to see how widely they open the access going forward. But for now it is to a very select group of people for opening I and ourselves for entrapicsmith first model.
Speaker 3: Most racial mets across the open Ai story. We really appreciate it. Look, let's turn our attention to Tomo Bravo right now because it struck a strategic partnership with Google Cloud to help its portfolio companies accelerate you guess at AI adoption. The arrangement will allow the portfolio companies to access Google Cloud's AI platform to improve product offerings, and for Google engineers to really embed with those businesses to help solve technical challenges. We're seeing this more and more ed with open Ai, for example, than some of the other portfolio companies within Thrive.
Speaker 2: Okay, coming up on the program, California Billionaires is stepping up their efforts to get Silicon Valley Darling Matt Mahon elected as the state's next governor.
Speaker 4: We have the story next. This is been in bog Tech time now for Talking tech.
Speaker 3: First up, China's Unitary began selling its cheapest humanoid robot on Alibaba's Ali Express Willy, expanding its international presence. Will be sold to markets including the US, seeking out customers in Tesla's home market at a time when the US company is still developing its humanoid Optimus product line. Plus Ali Baba, for its part, is also getting into robotics, so plans to develop and sell its own four legged model model, which would compete with Unitaris Go series. The Chinese company's Amat unit is also exploring the feasibility of humanoid robots. An AXL that's the VC firm that has backed the likes ofpanthropic cursor Perplexity, but its rose five billion dollars in new funds to keep up its big bets on AI. Now the firm will be dedicating four billion dollars to its fifth Leader's fund and six round and fifty million dollars into a sidecar fund to selectively increase the size of certain bet said okay.
Speaker 2: There is a vacuum in the California governor's race left by the abrupt exit of Eric Swalwell and the allegations of sexual assault claims, which we Weld denies. In his absence, tech billionaires are pouring money into the democratic campaign of Silicon Valley Darling. Matt Mayhan, the mayor of San Jose, has soalked through it with Bloombos California reporter Eliahu Chemisha. This is getting a lot of attention a lot of readers. It's a key race. San Jose's mayor is a name that's come up a lot in the last few months. What's changed, what's new and what are we learning about the pool of people backing him.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well San Jose's Matt Mayhan. After Eric Swawall exited the race has seen kind of a rush of some of the wealthiest people in California coming in to support him.
Speaker 4: So we have and he's a tech people, some of a lot of tech people.
Speaker 11: We have vinode Kosla, who put a million dollars towards his campaign yesterday. Mike Moritz of Sequoia, read Hastings of Netflix. Really big names in Silicon Valley and in California have coalesced around his campaign and they're back in the outside committee. They're sending millions of dollars towards towards him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why do the billionaires like him so much? What is Matt mahon really thinking about for them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Well, Matt kind of he emerged in the scene first when he opposed a wealth tax that's being proposed in California, there's a proposal to tax billionaire wealth and that kind of helped him gain some of these supporters. But in a wider sense, I think Silicon Valley is trying to insert itself in California's political scene beyond just the issues that their singular companies care about and more in kind of a wider sense, they're trying to promote a moderate democratic policies as they see.
Speaker 4: It, so that manifests itself in another way. Very quickly.
Speaker 2: You wrote about this five hundred million dollar funds to influence California politics. That was a March twelve, But again, tech names are putting into that fund.
Speaker 11: A lot of tech names of if you know Neil Metta from Green Oaks Capital, a lot of vcs are there. Coalescing is kind of this network effect. I mean, Sir Gey Brin, the co founder of Google, has been big in creating his own interest group to influence California politics. They're all about trying to kind of create government in California that is a little less progressive, more in the moderate sense, a little more anti tax, and it's about kind of creating efficiency and a little more pro tech as well.
Speaker 3: Bloombergs Elia Chemische, Thank you very much, indeed for the latest on politics. Now, somewhere else in Silicon Valley, something's going on, because we're to take a look at this stock. All birds shares going absolutely bonkers. Why because the former shoemaker, just days away from ceasing operations, says it's going to pivot its business into guess what ed AI Compute Infrastructure value. Love the shoes and now they're going to love their GPUs.
Speaker 2: Is that the cell? Yeah, rub your eyes, curried, adjust your set whatever we usually say.
Speaker 4: That is a one day chart, right am? I reading that correctly?
Speaker 3: It's going from not much to just twenty dollars let's call it. So, Yes, seven hundred percent is extraordinary. But it's got fifty million dollars in financing to basically build out AI native cloud data centers. It wasn't a neocloud ed fifty million.
Speaker 4: Dollars isn't that much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, GPUs a service or gpu as like sas, Meta is going to spend what in the next three years on AI six hundred billion.
Speaker 4: Fifty million.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they're going to launch a business, but no surprise, this is the most read story on Bloomberg right now and the.
Speaker 3: Most read And what's the rebrand going to be. I think they're going to be called New Bird. AI has that for the brand of Aubreen rebrands. That does it for this edition of bluebg Tech.
Speaker 2: A lot of newsflow coming from Bloomberg, some interesting market moves, and some important interviews around the global economy as well. Recap all of that on the podcast. You know where to find it. If you're watching the show, It's there on your screen if you're listening. Iheartspotify and Apple. This is Bloomberg Tech.