Speaker 1: I was. I was eight year old stomping grounds miles. I even asked ultrazon big party this week, I was, I was so impressed.
Speaker 2: Is that the owner of the place, Yeah, who looks like a character from Clerks who got like edited out of the movie.
Speaker 1: They were like, let's go, let's go find somebody who might have like been here when he was here. And uh, because I was like, yeah, my corker like used to do that. I think he did like your job. And she was like what, no way, I didn't expect such a big response. And then she like went in the back and was like looking for old people. I guess, yeah, if they knew you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you had to be working there, fucking I was like it.
Speaker 1: Was the early I kept being like it was the nineties, Like it wasn't the nice I started working there in two thousand and two two two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was like, maybe the owner would like I didn't say this so that you could.
Speaker 2: Go find someone to like yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess my story. They respect their elders so much to like, well, I don't want to just blow this old guy off and say oh cool man. Sure, They're like, oh, let me find someone from you so nice. They're really like bro Like I mean the guy who owns that place, like he's really That's why it was kind of a coveted job because not any motherfucker could work at Ultra zoone. No, you had to have you had to be oh, you got to have the risk. You got to also be able to control some children in a way that doesn't come off like you're a dick. I learned. So it's funny. I learned so much at that job for it being just a laser tech place, Like I learned how to like that's the first my crash course in dealing with celebrities. Yeah, in a weird way where they're going to treat you like shit, but you got to kind of like Jedi mind trick them out of why they can't do something. They're like, well I can't I can't bring this Hibachi grill into the room. It's like, no, you didn't rent the room long enough. Like we can order pizza and like, but we need more anyway, shout out Altra Zone. I was actually just in that on Saturday. I was just up the street because I was at this place called the Candy Land Playground.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: For my friend's kid's birthday there? Yeah, crazy crazy? Is that why?
Speaker 1: Whenever I started like going off on a rant that's unrelated to the show, you say, if you can hear me clap once?
Speaker 2: Yep, if you can hear me clap twice. That was a new. One time we would just bro that it's funny, that's new because we would just shout yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll get it. I'd be like, that's how, that's how we get it started. And then they'd be like, and then I got ready to play some laser They're like, yeah, yeah, hell yeah. Simple times.
Speaker 1: I mean, you might have had a more commanding voice. I still need the if you can hear me, yeah yeah I can.
Speaker 2: I can. I can get the kids. Do you do the loud whistle? No? I can't. I can spin on my fingers real nasty exactly. I can make a finger. That's like the final boss of American masculinity that I haven't conquered yet is the loud fingers in the mouth whistle. Because my dad could do it, and I was like, as a kid, I was like, what the fuck is he doing? He could do the one like two fingers, You could do the one like this. I still don't know what them. I gave up on it, like to figure that one out. I'm gonna be like, I'm just gonna be one of those like regular melodic whistlers.
Speaker 1: Yeah I can. I can whistle a melody pretty well, but I cannot do the loud whistle the heart up stone to. The harder I whistle, the less I can. You know, the harder the harder I blow, the less sound comes out.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's funny. Isn't it ironic that that? And isn't it ironic? Don't you think the harder I blow, the more miserable it becomes. Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of dirtally Zide. Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, usually I turned my head away, but this time I went full barrel on the camera because I was writing the number of the time it was.
Speaker 2: I apologize for if I.
Speaker 1: Hurt anybody's ears. My name is Jack O'Brien. That over there is my co host, mister Miles.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Yes, just yes. What a weekend? What a weekend? Man? What a weekend? Truly? The yeah? You did it all? Did it? Oh? Hell yeah? Man? Did it all? Fuck it? Not to see a Clippers game at a bar because I thought, oh, game seven, Yeah, I was like, this could be interesting narrators. It was not. It was not. Man, that was as hell d the third court eaven and and we're like, man, let's go someone to eat. Yeah yeah, and not that even I was like I was, I just was hoped. I didn't care who won. I was just like I just wanted to see something like a game seven and a game seven twas not.
Speaker 1: I always make fun of like ESPN and like other sports outlets for they'll always do these stats that are you know, the this team, the Los Angeles Clippers historically, are you know, fifty four and eighty seven in game seven, you know, like over the course of the entire franchise. And I'm like, this is like so pointless, Like those were different players, Like there's a different coach, like you know the ship of theseus, like you know that this is just not the same team, Like why are we even talking about like what a franchise has done historically? And then you have teams like the Clippers that it's just like they're maybe the best team in the West or second best, and they still manage to fuck it up just because they're the Clippers, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And I'm not happy. I mean, I'm not happy.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you weren't there. Just you know, like at the end of the every you're on, you're on the juke box just playing that over and.
Speaker 2: Trying to get a huge blowout lead going so you could overcome that instead of record this is cool, this will be cool, this will be.
Speaker 1: Anyways, bummer NBA weekend, But I mean it's fun. Steph had a fun game last night.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: Some more into round two, which should be very entertaining. Uh So, this is the episode where we tell you what was happening over the weekend and this morning in the news. But first we get to know each other, get to know ourselves a little bit better by telling you some stuff we think is underrated and overrated. Miles, what is something you think is underrated? So thing I think is underrated is.
Speaker 2: Where do I have it? Yes, recovering your balance after slipping, thus preventing a fall in public. I think this is actually one of the more enjoyable small victories in life. That you're one of the great feelings. It's you feel like a fucking Olympian. Okay, when you do this. I slipped in a puddle in the parking lot of a grocery store and I skidded for a moment. I said, whoa. Then immediately then I like my hockey ice skating like balance things kicked in and I shifted my weight and I like, like I pivoted in this way that was beautiful, Like I recovered with such a race. Okay, it was fucking I was so nicely. I honibly was like oh fuck yeah, Like I was like, whot yeah, like you got this ship. And then but the thing that I this is the reason why I say it's underrated, is I just wish the one other fucking dude in the parking lot that saw that ship could have acted. He acted like I fell down and ship myself and kind of ignored the beautiful Like he didn't want to be like I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: I just he like would look at you, he wouldn't make that contact.
Speaker 2: He saw me scared, and he saw the recovery and then just kind of was just shifted his thing to not be like, hey, I saw that. It's okay, man. You can just you can just have you can just suffer in silence. No one has to know that you beautifully private. Shame. I'm like, bro, no, like I'm I was proud, not embarrassed. You ran over to give him a high five. Yeah, I'm like, you should join me in that. And now I think when people do that, we should applaud and say, hey, all that that was fantastic. I would like to celebrate you and buy you all of your groceries today.
Speaker 1: So it's it's really a matter of moments because before the slip happens, it's like a I get I guess, like a net negative or just like a net oh yeah, neutral. But as the slip is happening, you are on the precipice of of a failure so embarrassing that like, pulling out of that is a major victory.
Speaker 2: It's a huge Just like with Donald Trump softening his stance on the tariffs, people should be celebrating them. That's right. But no, that's how it feels. I mean anyway, I thought it was just it was so funny how I kept looking at that dude to see if I was like, yeah, laser folk. He wanted nothing to do with it, and fine, whatever, I don't. You don't need to give me your attention. But like I think we just even when you fall, because like even when I see people said, I'm going, oh, you're right, yeah, I like to hit people with one of those I don't do the I didn't see that ship nice say, I'm like, hey, i'd be like I saw you and I care. Yeah, no shade, no shame, absolutely not. I'm proud of you, Myles I for one, I'm proud of you. Man. I'm gonna be I'm gonna actually be going to uh the Ralphs on Cold Water Canyon. See, just doing a little set. You might you might catch me fucking around and do something classic. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You almost slipped in a puddle. That's yeah, that's real bad, Like it's ling in a puddle.
Speaker 2: It was like I didn't see it and my there was like a sound behind me that caught my attention. So I took a misplaced step and it was just one of those things where like you know, sometimes some sneakers can just be like feel greasy. On my situation, it was just one of those moments. And the way I got out of that ship, jack Man, fuck that guy in the park man, that's your overrated Is that guy in the park that guy. Yeah for real, all right.
Speaker 1: My underrated is how much fun birds are having. I've always suspected that birds.
Speaker 2: I've always suspected I have so like I remember having this. This is like a high thought that I had.
Speaker 1: I think I was in like Ireland and watching like these birds just like there's like a puff of wind and they were just up there, like not moving, just like coasting on like kind of surfing on the wind a little bit, you know, just like in place. Yeah, So like there was no evident reason for them to be doing that other than they were just like having fun with it. It looked like they were surfing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And so I've always been like, you know, that seems that seems fun as hell, first of all, and it seems like they appreciate how fun it is. But I've never been able to interview them about why they were soaring around like on a bump of wind, so I could never prove it. But I feel like I finally got proof in this social media video that I saw.
Speaker 2: I think it was on Nature is Amazing or Amazing Nature or something.
Speaker 1: And it's a bird that just flies straight up in the air and then like just starts spinning.
Speaker 2: Dude, this is fucking crazy. Isn't this cool? What the fuck? This bird hit A sixty one twenty that's seventeen three sixties.
Speaker 1: It's just like straight up goes like some X game shit, Like there's no feasible survival mechanism at all.
Speaker 2: It just flies straight up. No one in the replies with a triple.
Speaker 1: Axle and then pulls out of the spin just in time. I didn't even look in the reply yea for someone to be like, that's actually a crisis mode there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, Terry Gland is on the skits right there. It's just it's freaking out. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just this is all the proof I need, and like it also I feel like applies to the rest of the species, you know. I in my old age, I've turned into like a bird guy, and like just all the I've read people like trying to explain why they're always sitting to each other like that all the time, and like the theories are like to warm up in the morning and like mating calls obviously and communicating predator locations, and I'm sure like some of that stuff, but I also feel like it's partially they just like have a song in their heart and they're just they just want to like.
Speaker 2: The answer is in the replies Jack, they answer for why it did that? Bro, Yeah, it's in the replies what's it saying? Choo Belie. They said, that's a roller pigeon having a seizure. No, and they and they hit it. But as I look into it, it's not like a seizure, like like a neurological condition. It's just that they have a trait and it's called that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so why are they doing it? But it's in involuntary I don't know. There's another person who says the Verdan videos is likely a swift known for its exceptional aerial agility. Swifts can stay airborn for up to ten months, feeding, sleeping, and even fun.
Speaker 2: Nothing, nothing, even they're explaining nation of a seizures, like it's not even a seizure. It's like they just have a skill they do and they just call it. Sounds like a bird hater being like that's a seizure. That's a seizure. They're like, it's a sixty one twenty It did seventeen three sixties.
Speaker 1: That shit was so dope whip and it pulls out just in time.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you just saw this clip. It's like you saw a bird doing that, and you're like, what the fuck you came upon this clip? And then they've also fun up there.
Speaker 1: I just generally I've always felt that way, like when you see birds flying around, like they're like playing with each other and they're just having fun, and like we always when it's an animal, I feel like there's part of us that, because of how horribly we treat animals, we just want to turn them into survival robots, and so we take all of the joy or like artistry out of it and just turn it into well that the reason they're doing that is to practice evading predators in the most you.
Speaker 2: Know, aggressive way.
Speaker 1: You know, like we always just wanted to be one step closer to propagating there the survival of their species. Where I just feel like sometimes you know, I think I think it's a mixture, just like it is with humanity. You know, there's a book called The Evolution of Beauty that explains why they look so colorful, and I mean it makes sense, but also like I don't know, they just seem persistently artistic in all aspects of their existence in a way that I think is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people would see my slip and recovery in the parking lot. It's just some kind of just a human having bounce. That's actually a mating call. That's that's right. And the one man that was in the parking lot who could have been on the receiving chose to ignore it and called peacocking and my and my lineage would have ended there. That's amazing. What Miles is something you think is overrated? Fuck man, I think I've said this like three times in the last year. But like the phoenix effect of trump Ism that it's having on like neoliberalism right now, it's y'all need to people need to, people really need to be reporting on this in like a broader context because we've seen two elections in the last week where a barely staying afloat neoliberal party hath been saved by the mere sight of trump Ism. And the latest election was in Australia we'll probably talk about that a little bit more, where Conservatives looked like they were about to pull up in force but their candidate was way too hot for Trump anyway. Albanize didn't have to do too much and he played his hand, right, He just sort of let the Trump want to be looked like a fucking creep, and then you know, it was ended up getting a huge majority of a historic win, and I think for the Conservative Liberal Party it was like a historic loss. The other side of that is that he did not pitch voters on any kind of transformative change. He was just like, yeah, albities did not just sort of like doing what you know the Democrats did here. They're kind of like, I mean, you see what he's doing over there, right, I mean, you tell you if that's what y'all want, that's fine. I mean, but we we do our thing our way over here. So again, Australia has very similar situation like many other countries, a severe cost of living crisis, and it seems like the pitch in this election is again, like I said, like the US election last year, it's like you can vote for rapid decline or slow incremental decline like you're used to right which way? Yeah, because you've seen them do the rapid line and it's not going very well. So overall, I have a prediction these governments that have benefited from Trump trump Ism like as a counterpoint or juxtaposition will lose again if they fail to address the thing that makes right wing extremism palatable inequality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, neoliberalism, the very thing that they stand for. Yeah, exactly, yeah.
Speaker 2: If you because like even the stuff that Albany is just pitching like for like that that would help first time home ownership really didn't upset the balance of power in terms of like the real estate industry or landlords and things like that. It's all meant to happen, like where it's like, oh, yeah, we can carve off a little piece that feels like it's doing something big when really it's not. Yeah, and that's I'm just like, this is the watch the next cycle. If things only get worse, we're going to see a resurgence again and you're not going to be able to be like.
Speaker 1: But the stud is quo sure, Yeah, I wonder where the because I feel like the Democratic Party is looking at this and being like, yeah, see, we still got it, Like this is what's going to happen in America.
Speaker 2: Like Marvel with thunderbolts right now about still No, you don't look at them? What about this says you do?
Speaker 1: I But I do feel like America in this one respect is ahead of the rest of the world, and we did the miss country is completely out on neoliberalism and like not going.
Speaker 2: To you know what I mean. That's the thing is, like I don't think enough people they're pissed. I don't know how many people have yet quite you know, rightly analyzed the situation and said, Okay, anyone who comes in talking that neo lib nonsense is going to get us right back to where we started. The thing that we're yearning for is to unburden ourselves with the status quo, which is violence. So if we're not talking about that, then that's not going to happen. Where I think a lot of people, just because Trump is back, they're willing, they're going to be open to someone coming back to just say something more sane but maybe not as transformative. That's where I think. That's where like the war for the soul of this voting base is going to happen.
Speaker 1: How many people can be keeping like the people are the ones showing up to the like the Bernie Sanders and like aoc rallies and shit, and the people are the ones who are like frustrated with the Trump stuff. And the people are the ones who fucking just didn't vote for Harris and what a lot of people thought was like a shocking sure, you know, but on your performance on her part, I feel like they maybe they don't like understand it in like the exact words, but like, I feel like it's just the mainstream media apparatus that is like not asn't like refuses to wrap their mind around it, you know.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that we'll see is like when there's a candidate, right and their platform is like, well, I'm not Trump and we got to like we got to look out for each other, and you're it, it does seem very different, but they're not going all in on like and I'm going to raise the minimum wage to twenty five dollars an hour, right, and having people be like, yes, that's that shit. If someone goes back and it's just like and we can get minimum wage to seventeen or something, and people are like great, that's where I'm worried that it's like no, no, no, right. The reason we're so fucked is because we're not our minimum Like we there's so many things we should all be advocating for just as seriously.
Speaker 1: But again, it'll be interesting to see what kind of campaign Peepoo to Jed runs. Yeah, exactly, that's what. The thing that is helping mainstream democrats get to sleep at night is Pete Boodha Judge is Pete Boota.
Speaker 2: Judge is great with facts, great on Fox News debate and again. And I think that's where I'm like, don't please, don't just get intoxicated by like pooning the Fox people, Like we need to be pooning the billionaires, Like seriously, Like that's really that's got to stay focused. And I love to fight the oligarchy tour, but if like we can't really have a fundamental agreement across the board on what which oligarchy we're fighting and in what way we're fighting it, Right, this is going to be it'll be a slow creep back again to the norm Yeah. Norm Norms love that guy from Cheers. Love him.
Speaker 1: My overrated is my ability to figure out where on the machine to tap my credit cards.
Speaker 2: Underneath sometimes some some times it's underneath. Sometimes it's like at the top.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's at a place that like you can't get the card to hit because there's like a thing in the way. I don't know, it's it's just there's no uniformity, and so I'm just like moving my card all over it.
Speaker 2: And person, hey, buddy, buddy, buddy, Yeah it's right here. Well they know, I just need to like a copperfield. When do you get that over here? Is this your card? I I feel like a complete fucking idiot every time because there's like just so many variables. It's like where are you tapping it?
Speaker 1: And so like I give up too soon on the right location because it's also not a tap, it's a hold, you know, And it's just I just need like some uniformity in the machines where I should just be like, all right, where do I tap? Just show me on the machine and they know they know their own machine. But instead I like try unsuccessfully like three times and then they're either like no, just like give it to me, or they're like insert the card, just like get this over with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bro, look, I'm just gonna I'm gonna have you insert this man, because you're you're struggling way too much for this man.
Speaker 1: They were not all meant to be tappers.
Speaker 2: It's cool. Look I didn't just looking at you your age. You seem like an insert, not a taper. It's definitely makes me feel like a sniper. I had a young person at ice cream shop. Yeah, I had a young man at the ice cream shop that I was paying with.
Speaker 1: He like told he was like, no, tap it the other way. So I was tapping it with the whole other side of the card that I've never tapped with before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one usually chip in it. Yeah, you're you're leading with the chip end. That's what I was this time. Yeah, leading with you normally lead with the chip in the other side has the little thing on it. Oh my god. Yes, I don't know. Maybe I don't even know either, yea. To be honest, that's why I shout out to anybody who works a register and knows their POS system is a literal POS system, and they're like, you're They'll even tell you, like, you got to put it right here, I know, just just right here, right here on the back. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense. And I'm like, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's I'm already in a panic by the time we get to that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're looking at like the Jordan Peele sweating gift, Like when you pull up it's all right, it's okay. No, no, No, it's okay, Okay, God, sorry, you're sweating all over the pos terminal.
Speaker 1: Hands shaking uncontrollably. All right, those are some of.
Speaker 2: The things that we think is over it and under it. We're going to take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and tell you what was trending over the weekend. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And I mean, so Donald Trump had had a weekend.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, we were talking last week about how his approval ratings are incredibly low, not as low as the Democratic Party, but like still the lowest that any president has ever had.
Speaker 1: One hundred days into his termling. Yeah, since the dawn of polling. He is not the dawn of polling. I'll tell you that. That day one, he's yeah, so he's struggling. And then this weekend, uh, you know, he doubled down on the pope thing by sending out a AI slop meme of him dressed as the next Pope, like with pope stuff on, which, like it is a fit, you know, esthetically, like Donald Trump being so into like gold and all the ship that he's into.
Speaker 2: It is a fit.
Speaker 1: There's something about it that actually it makes someone.
Speaker 2: Who is enriching themselves from slave labor in the New World.
Speaker 1: Like everything's gold embossed and you know, uh the hat like that. I can see him wearing some of that shit. I can see him starting to like rock a gold scepter.
Speaker 2: You think his mental hat, like health declines, the mental state declines, He's gonna start being like, where's my pope hat? Yes, sure we're not. We can't wear a pope What ye hear about?
Speaker 1: How Like, as you age, it's not like the bad parts of your personality get fixed. It's like you become more the thing you are. It's just like all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That is you're unable to hide it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just like gets the volume gets turned up on your personality disorder, and I feel I feel like.
Speaker 2: That would be showed up. He's like, I want to look like Donna Tello from the Ninja Turtles to Katanas on my back in an X shape. Let's go.
Speaker 1: But anyways, people some people thought it was disrespectful.
Speaker 2: I don't know what their problem is.
Speaker 1: I would say, let's let him be pope. I mean, you can't be president and pope at the same time, so maybe just let him be pope. And he probably gets to like make little papal decrees from his desk. I feel like that's ultimately like he would take that.
Speaker 2: You know. I think he'd hate hanging out with a bunch of cardinals though. That's true. Yeah, like, because they're all going to be like, what, dude, what is this guy saying? He's like, none of them laugh, They're all They're all They're all dorks, all the cardinals. I don't like them. I don't like them. He also posted on Sunday for May the Fourth Be with You, they posted a Star Wars AI image where he was a fucking sith lord. Did you see that one?
Speaker 1: No, like Dark Brandon on on.
Speaker 2: Our Oh yeah, I mean like a lot of people are like, do you know what they're red saber means.
Speaker 1: Yo. The image first of all is Donald Trump holding a red lightsaber, but then he's just so shredded.
Speaker 2: It's he's fucking he nacked O'Brien over, thank you?
Speaker 1: Why is he so strong? Nobody in the Star Wars universe has ever been that strong.
Speaker 2: No, maybe like in some of the the expanded Universe stuff, but holy anyway, So that's he's having a lot of fun with Ai I wonder what that whole thing is. When Sheltmand shows him, he goes, when did I take that? Oh no, yeah, I remember when my arms looked like that. I was a young man. This is just.
Speaker 1: Matching year old's face, matching the his internal image of himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, the Catholic Church probably regretting their decision to put him in the front row at the po at the Pope's funeral. Right before that, he made headlines for preemptively ruining Christmas, a great, a great New York Post headline, one of the greats that they've come up with during this administration. But yeah, so, toy companies are sounding the alarm that tariffs would mean eighty percent of the toys will be twice as expensive this Christmas. Eighty percent of the toys will cost twice as much as they did last year, and there will be toy shortages, which, as we've covered frequently on this show, that is one of those stories that even when it's not true, and it never has been up to this point, the media will find a way.
Speaker 2: To freak out about it.
Speaker 1: So this is a story that they will just make up, whether it's true or not, so to actually make it so Christmas is canceled because there's a toy shortage is a really mind boggling own goal.
Speaker 2: In this part they just said, I mean, like the other thing they were saying was fireworks also huge it comes from so fourth of July could be real shitty, or people I guess will just blow themselves up with their homemade fireworks. Or and then now because they say, it's not just the toys, it's the decorations too, like all the cheap, all the cheap, yeah, is now going to cost a lot of money and.
Speaker 1: It's gonna hit Yeah, but you know what, it's only gonna hit those greedy, fat cat children and fireworks enthusiasts. Yeah, so you know they've had it too good for too long. Exactly children at Christmas. We see how the Democrats managed to fuck this up, because it's seems like a pretty easy lamp that like he's enriching his you know, billionaire friends at the cost of children being able to have toys for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you don't need thirty dollars jack, Yeah, so that his response was kids should just get less toys, like maybe two instead of thirty dollars. Hmm. So it's familiar. You'd never ask his own kids to put up with that, or you know, the kids of Again, this is just children who aren't written like rich children will still get the thirty dollars. So yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, just again like a thing that it feels like such a layup for the Democrats to just point out. But The New York Post responded to that statement by going full blast front page picture of Barbie next to Trump with the words skimp on the Barbie. Ah right, Bobby, I mean right, A little poetic allusion to the Australian election happening at Barbie is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why they have a barbie that looks just.
Speaker 2: Like it's like, doesn't even look special. It looks like an eighties like something you found in the Yeah, it really looks it looks like the Yeah, it looks like the barbie that's been at the bottom of the toy chest of a preschool, you know, just like I worked over and it was given a haircut with children's scissors. Oh yeah, with with fucking I don't even know if yeah, like plastic those safety scissors. Yeah yeah, But also it was so far below in the measured in the toy chest that it's like from the eighties because as like a denim vest it looks like a mini skirt, mini dress like Barbie or something a lot less the fuck is anyway, whatever New York posts that was probably the the you know, the royalty free image you use good. I love it, good for you, but you know, a Republican polster said it sounded like Marie Antoinette saying let them eat cake. I mean that was more to do with food. But yeah, I get, I get what you're saying. It's pretty out of.
Speaker 1: Touch, pretty out of touch, pretty you know, why should the children?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: He we've seen his attempts to interact with children around the thing, around subjects like Christmas Joy, where he was like, and what are your thoughts on the Santa situation? You're at an age demographic where that appeals to you.
Speaker 2: Is that correct? So? And then the market for the affect your your toy buying decision. What I don't know, I like Elmo.
Speaker 1: And then in case there were any like movie lovers who aren't Catholic and don't have kids that were weren't angry yet On Sunday, he randomly announced that non American movies would receive a one hundred percent tariff.
Speaker 2: I think he means, like, you know, American movies that are made in other countries, I said, quote produced in foreign lands. He really is the pope, dude, like this is the fucking fifteenth century or some shit. Anything produced in far off lands will be so for many sees. They travel over many the long seven Seas. Exactly, if it took the Spice Road through the Orient to get here, then yes, it will be tarriffed. I don't how are you what are you tariffing? Exactly? The thing, the product that's distributed, films cost money, and that that we would tariff that. Miles oh Man.
Speaker 1: He said it's a national security threat, which is a weird way to describe m Night Shyamalan making trap in Toronto.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, another Shamalan movie. Maybe maybe a national secret I guess what he so in this weird in his senile brain, made in foreign land means that it's being shaped into anti American propaganda. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he said it's a concerted effort by other nations and therefore a national security threat. And in this case, it's concerted effort to like get movies to shoot in other countries. And so it's just it's just again like go against the idea of global free trade and towards the idea of like we'll protect America and make it so America can both be mediocre and still get all the business.
Speaker 2: Right. I mean, this is like another example where what he's saying isn't the fucking solution to any of this. You know, like you think about we know so many people in LA whose lives have been upended by the strikes and now just the just the film industry is dying in LA. That's undernowed very fast death. Said Donald Trump one time. I'm like, oh, you know, you've heard about that. You know that's say you Americ because it's like Ammie Fournia or whatever. But you know, one of the big reasons too, is that production costs are highly Like, well, it's so it costs so much money in LA because A you have to pay crew a lot of money. Why because their cost of living is so high in Los Angeles. That's what's driving it. So then they go to other states and then the same thing plays out, and then they're like, well, we'll go to Canada. And now we'll go to Eastern Europe. But a lot of this has to do with the fact that just the inequalities that exist for the people that do the labor of making films has balloons costs, and without getting a real handle on that, it's easier for them to be like, ah, well, it's discussed. There are people who are just they're like shooting stuff in Eastern Europe that's like meant to be like somewhere in America now, or like we'll do like a like a reality show tell all episode where it's like it's easier to fly everybody to wherever Hungary and shoot than it is to crew up in New York to shoot on a sound stage, and you're like, wow, the way that this used to work.
Speaker 1: The reason that's not happening anymore is like those countries are able to offer huge you know, uh like amounts of money to the productions to get the things made there, to build a mini industry. New York LA like used to have those sorts of things. They used to have like tax breaks and things like that, and now they don't, like the government no longer gives you money for doing that, because everything.
Speaker 2: Is just saying she's you know it's coming back. Well, we'll see what happens. But like I'm I'm still shocked to see how little work there is in LA And yeah, for people who work, especially if they're doing like physical crew like labor stuff like that, it's super fucked up. And I know I already know people who like work in post production. They've had to just leave out, like they're just done. They're like, would you be in LA Nothing? Yeah, truly nothing.
Speaker 1: The it does seem to be an overall like his internal philosophy I feel like is driven by him being a mediocre nepo baby you know where he's just like, we need to make it so that American businesses don't have to compete, you know with other Like, we just have to make it so that they're forced to so they have have an advantage over.
Speaker 2: Can I just get my dad to make them do it? Yeah? Exactly. It really is like he thinks that the ease at which he was able to accumulate money from coming from wealth is just how the world works. So he is solved as frictionless as his problems were. So like that time I killed my nanny, my dad just made it go away. You know, can't we do that allegedly? But that's the that's like his mentality was so many things. It's yeah, true.
Speaker 1: All right, out of the world of politics. Once again.
Speaker 2: Women are lying to us, myles I love just once again, dude, these females are lying to us. The males, thank you.
Speaker 1: There's this tweet where somebody tweeted a picture of himself and it was like, I, you know, did all the stuff that like Men's Health tells you to do, and here I am before and after, and like on the left he looks like a normal person and on the right he just like is like, you know, muscled and like very like kind of emaciated, and you know, looks like he could be on the cover of like a men's health thing, you know, like all all muscles are visible.
Speaker 2: And just to be an anglophile, that's all imerslimers. Yeah, he's like he was on like uh like the version, like the UK version of America's Got Talent, app okay, we got got like a singer. Yeah, and he uh so somebody posted and said do you think he looks better before or after? And then also are you male or female?
Speaker 1: And the men all thought he looked better after he it was it was the biggest portion of responses was men being like, it looks better after obviously, what are you talking about, right, like forty three twenty four percent, and then women thought he looked better before twenty seven percent compared to after seven percent, So like pretty huge margin. And somebody on Twitter responded to that poll and said, why are women lying about this?
Speaker 2: Like, what's the actual cause? Jesus Christ, I'm so frightened for this person. Why are they lying about this? Holy shit way to like, way to show everybody so publicly your worldview has just been shattered by a pole on Twitter again, women lie, yeah, but I don't know. It just feels like I see how the self reinforcing idea of like, well, this is what men think looks cool, and therefore it's the ideal would happen because men have been in charge of media for so long that like that's the male bodily archetype that men find. I guess it's like the that's the body that men find attractive, right, and that so that's the one that has on mainstream over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just been like boiled down to just one body type in everything, and there's the same.
Speaker 2: Thing that happens too, like when like there are like women in bikinis or whatever and like so you know, it's like not someone who looks like a model or whatever and people are like, yeah, that's hot, Like you think this is hot? What? No, what the heck dude? She has like body fact that's disgusting, and you're like, what do you does anyone live in the regular world? I mean this, this is so funny. I mean, like just to see. I was looking at some of the other replies and the way people are trying to rationalize again a that they still know better than the women who are telling them what they're attracted to is so strange to me, where it's it's like, nah, not gonna believe it. This person isn't real or this is fake. I don't I'm I will no longer consider this opinion from this person who I'm also trying to be attractive to. It's just very I'm I mean, yeah, just doubling down over and over.
Speaker 1: Nice trick me, But I have to put myself through pain to make you attracted to me? Right, Like what if what if you were just like kind of cool to hang out.
Speaker 2: With and yeah, man, I mean thought of me as a person. Aren't all these like blue check dudes on Twitter, Like aren't they in the pickup artistry too, because as somebody who dabbled, you know, when the economy was very low and my self esteem was also very low. Like in really reading the game, I mean not that it's like a manual, but like there's these pick up artists always talking about shit. It's like, dude, men are attracted to like they're attracted by what they see, women by what they hear, and like they use that as an to sort of begin like this is why you need to talk up like a woman or whatever, when really I think if you, if you distill that doubt, it's looks don't matter to women right right like they do to men. And if that's a truth that they're ingesting even from like through pick up artistry stuff, to think that it's it's like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: We run into a new generation where it's all just like grind set like optimization, and everybody wants to look like.
Speaker 2: Joe I said optim I said optimized to my therapist last week, and they were like they kind of flagged it to sort of be like what do you come back to them when you see optimized, Like do you see yourself as like a human or like a like a sort of a computer program or some kind of like machine that can be optim Like, how do you when you use that word? And I was like, oh, fuck, uh no, I merely said that to like in the context of like being more adventurous like that. I don't want to close myself up. I want to optimize my ability to experience adventure. Yeah, it's just so funny. They're like, okay, just making sure you're not on some like I am a machine. I must optimize, right, All right, let's take a quick break. Yeah, we'll be right back. And we're back. We're back. And as mentioned earlier, Australia, like Canada, last week, just had an election. And first of all, judging from the photos that American outlets went with, Australians typically vote while wearing speedos and that's actually part of the process. You have to wear speedos. Yeah, there's just I saw I saw one of these headlines with like the dudes in the speedo at the polling place, and I was just like, oh, I didn't realize every fucking outlet had some form of the dudes in the speedos voting to be like Australian elections are happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of them even had swim caps on, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy had a boomerang in his pants.
Speaker 1: So these were actually all from the same polling station at a surf club. But you know it's it is sad. It is a great image. Yeah, guy's got guys caked ups of male attractiveness on Twitter, but he's stopped stopplying. This guy has love handles stopplying. This is the hottest shit you've ever seen. That guy should be the only vote that matters. Look at the definition on his delts.
Speaker 2: Uh. But yeah.
Speaker 1: The Labor Party and current Prime Minister Anthony Albanize staged a quote dramatic comeback against once resurgent Conservatives and people think it's because of the influence of one US President.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump. That tracks.
Speaker 1: That's basically what just happened in Canada happened again in Australia.
Speaker 2: We were the we were the canary in the coal mine of Earth. But well, now will you listen? Now, will you listen to If you think that's bad, then do everything you can to prevent a right wing extremists to rise to power be resurgent rand.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the leader of the Conservative Liberal Party of Australia. So I'm just flagging this in case you get confused, because Conservatives are called liberals there because they're south of the equator exactly, and so I.
Speaker 2: Think that must be it.
Speaker 1: But he had previously called Trump a big thinker and praised the art of the deal after Trump suggested that the US should invade Gaza to you know, when he was talking about settling it and making it like Crusoe malls, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right right, yeah, Trump Gaza number one. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's pretty wild how unpopular he is everywhere.
Speaker 2: And he's also like the dude in Canada he lost his seat too. Yeah, not only he lost his seat also, Yeah, because it's funny just how much like corporations, politicians are so similar, Like they just copy each other. Oh, you've do layoffs, all right, we're doing layoffs too. Yeah yeah, yeah, oh what are you doing? You just kind of kind of like let the freak who copies the other freak just do their thing. Okay, cool, cool, cool, We'll do the same. We'll do the same. We'll do the same. It's like just the amount of people who want to copy Trump's style, the amount of people on the other side of that end of the spectrum who were just like, let them freak everyone out. Okay, let's just play possum or oh, possum.
Speaker 1: However it's pronounced yeah, wherever you are. They had been leading in opinion polls in February, like, so it was that quick that it was like kind of assumed that the Conservatives were going to be part of this like Trump wave takeover across the world.
Speaker 2: And then everyone's like, whoa.
Speaker 1: This seems this seems kind of like they don't know what the fuck they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like hold on, they're modeling themselves after the guy up in America who's stabbing people in their face, like allies even oh no, no, no, no, no no. And finally Marvel is back maybe, like I don't know, it's this is the exact same thinking of like, wow, the neo liberals pull it off again, are they right? So is thunder First of all, I just want to say I'm mad at Thunderbolts because there were no more fucking Sinners screenings in IMAX because a stupid ass Marvel everything and now everything with Thunderbolts. I was gonna go over the weekend just to see it on a regular screen, and my friend convinced me. He's like, if you really want to do it, wait for the re release on Imax so you can really in twenty five years. No, no, they said this month it's gonna be. I think once Thunderbolts phases out there, they'll bring Sinners back and I will be there anyway.
Speaker 1: But so you went to see Thunderbolts instead, and what do you think?
Speaker 2: Uh, didn't see it? Didn't see it? What didn't see it? You know how? You know? I'm with Marvel movies. It's there's too many, too many.
Speaker 1: Too many going on, like this one seems particularly I know. I saw it like there was good word of mouth. Yeah, it was a good Julia Leui Dreyfus thing is very interesting to me, though I didn't like get any of that from the marketing. I didn't get that like she's in it and like just getting to be fun and be all Julie Leuis Dreyfus.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: But it made seventy six million dollars of the box office, which is being like pitched now in the media as a win even though it's like the second worst Marvel Cinematic Universe opening.
Speaker 2: That's I'm sane, bro, They're fucking try.
Speaker 1: They're just like, I don't know, we need a win for the industry. Okay, So it's less than like Captain America Brave New World, which came out earlier this year, and everyone's like already basically forgotten about and.
Speaker 2: Weren't people shitting on that too, like for how low it was, even though it was more than seventy or eighty eight million, I guess is what it made. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's not it's no longer cool or like interesting to shit on Marvel, you know. It's just like, yeah, I mean that's the default story is like Marvel is over, and this one actually has like some narrative momentum, and so people are like, like the Ringer article with Thunderbolts gives Marvel movies their momentum back for the first time in years. The Multiverse saga seems to be going somewhere. So that's not exactly like being like, you know, it's it dominated at the box office, but again, it just didn't. It also just didn't like the I don't know with the marketing. I'm assuming they decided, like they're they're playing with scared money now, and so they like decided they needed to like be safe in the marketing. But like the marketing was like I don't know, it was completely indistinguishable to me, like who who the characters were, Like what the point of this was?
Speaker 2: Scared money exactly? Looking like JJ Reddick's coaching a game four? Right, Yeah, yeah, I don't care if it ruins everything. Yeah, I'm mean it is. It is just funny to see, like when you compare it mathematic numerically to other openings. Yeah, you know, we don't. We're not. It's not back. And I don't want to hear that, especially when they were shitting on Sinners for making like you know, like you know, forty some million or whatever to be like, oh do a little bit. Oh and this this juggernaut thing. Don't look now, but Sinners is going to destroy the movie industry. Shut the fuck up, man, right, because I I feel like it's they are rooting for the old model of Hollywood, you know, to come back, and so everybody's like, well, we got to do this because we need wins for Hollywood. IP. It's all these people who just do not want to develop a new movie, Like they don't want to put money behind original ideas. They're just not ready for that. There's so many status quai. What's the what's what's the most what's the plural of status quo? Quote the status quo? Yeah, your status yesses were crazy. I think status quhi, status qui and status quosis is. I don't know what it is exactly, but if close feel way off based status statusies quo statuses qui, let's go with that. Yeah. But I mean, like just even again in the film industry, it's just like like to your point with this, they're praying that the thing of like is there something that already exists that we can just green light and not really take a swing on an original idea, Like they want this to happen.
Speaker 1: Inspired all the writers and gave all the power to the marketing team. So yeah, exactly, it's that's that's all they got.
Speaker 2: It is like how do we do asking? Yeah, people who are probably criminally habitual chat GPT users to start coming up with original ideas to to re energize the film market. Yeah. Good, idea what happened with the other big opening, because I remember on Friday we were talking about, like, oh, let's not forget about Rust opening this weekend. Rust that one.
Speaker 1: So that made slightly less money. That's gonna be slightly harder to uh spin as a win.
Speaker 2: It made twenty five thousand dollars twenty five thousand, twenty five thousand from one hundred and fifteen theaters. So did they do the thing at least like they did for Sound of Freedom and the other Jesus movie, like where they're not a boa.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of like what church or like organization because like I'm assuming the NRA doesn't want to be involved in that shit.
Speaker 2: I don't even have money anymore.
Speaker 1: Like maybe just like the production team of his reality.
Speaker 2: Show, it just sucks man like it like what a cursed movie. Like it's like even the thing, like, even even though it's done and all the people that worked on it, it's still marred by the fucking killing. Yeah, and just feels very accidental shooting that happened on the set of a movie about an accidental shooting. Yeah, it's fucking crazy. Yeah, Anyway, it'll.
Speaker 1: Be interesting to see if Thunderbolt holds well or not. It's got an eighty eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes, but on the more specific Metacritic it's got a sixty eight. So you know, Rotten Tomatoes is like thumbs up or down well, and then you know, we'll give it a percentage, whereas Metacritic actually gives numeric scores, like if somebody gives it two and a half stars and Rotten Tomatoes like that's a thumbs up, that's a pass, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's what Brian the editor just put a CLI out of contract said, spider bite incident, And I'm like, what the fuck was this? On the set of Rust, one of the crew members, like a pipe rigger lamp operator, got bit by a brown recluse and had to do like multiple surgeries to prevent amputation. So this thing has just been This is like Yodorovsky's Dune bro Jesus truly cursed. All right.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I'll be holding my review of Rust for a little while until I'll see it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought, you're like, it's under bargo. Yeah, it's under embargo for now. All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, May fifth, We're back tomorrow with a whole ass at Mayo the show. Oh shit, I got about that. We did forget about sin good at Mayo? It is I don't know about you as it's like the less well, since you don't drink anymore and I drink less and less or I might just have completely abandoned quote unquote drinking holidays. Yeah. Yeah, like these just literally go by like before. Look what's going on? Sinkle to Mayo? Bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like what are we doing for sego to Mayo? Is the question that you email everybody while you're drunk on Saint Patrick's Day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, while you're drunk on May sixth? You mean yesterday?
Speaker 1: Ah shit, editor who looks on this show from Mexico City has informed us. Fun fact, not a holiday in Mexico. All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday May fifth. It' say good day Mayo. We are back tomorrow with the who last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines while you still can get your flu shots. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow bye bye