Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here. Executive Disorder. Sure is our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today I'm joined by James Stout and Robert Evans. You sure are lucky you this episode, we are covering the week of June eleven to June eighteen.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, the greatest week of all time. Actually, it sucked, terrible week.
Speaker 2: No, we are probably getting closer to a war with Iran, which is not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, great, Yeah, We're at least getting more and more involved in Israel's war with Iran. I guess we can probably start by talking about that. Yeah, So this situation as it stands. First off, I just want to note that I don't think the worry here is World War three. I don't think the worry here is global thermonuclear war. I think the worry here is the US allows itself to get involved in an other boondoggle overseas and contributes to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, largely civilians, because we again continue to back Israel to the hilt, like, that's that's the threat. I'm seeing a lot of Oh my god, the World War three is coming, and I just don't think that's the thing to be focused on. The thing to be focused on is like a massive expansion of the bombing of urban areas in Iran. You know the fact that Trump has been talking at all about evacuating a large segment of Tehran, which is about as populous as the Los Angeles metro area and not evacuable.
Speaker 5: Yes, ten billion people. Yeah, yeah, where are they going, buddy?
Speaker 3: There's just no way to really do that, is It's really bad now when it comes to does Iran have a nuke, well, they say they don't, and no one's presented any evidence that they do, Like at least officially, Iran stopped their nuclear development program in like two thousand and three. There's you know, always in Israel has always been claiming that they're continuing to work on it in secret. You know, we don't have a good a good context for exactly how much work there is going on. But Iran has been per conservatives in Israel a week away from having nukes for fucking my entire adult life, and then some so I don't see any evidence that they're further along to that goal than they were in twenty or in two thousand and three, and until presented with that evidence, my assumption is going to be that most of these claims are.
Speaker 4: Based on lies.
Speaker 3: Now, the strikes that Israel has carried out are mostly it's a mix of assassination strikes like attacking the homes and whatnot of scientists and of people who are involved in the Iranian government who can be particularly people who may have some ties to their weapons development programs. They've also just been striking a lot of heavily populated areas, kind of under that agis. There's been claimed strikes and some definite strikes on what at least were research facilities and nuclear research facilities.
Speaker 4: There's very little.
Speaker 3: Evidence that the strikes they're carrying out could deal with the kind of deep underground research foracilities that Israel claims is where Iran is making most.
Speaker 4: Of their progress.
Speaker 3: Which is why there's a lot of talk about the US getting involved, because we have these munitions that are specially designed to go much deeper than anything Israel has, but they have to be launched from a B two, which is like our big stealth bomber that might theoretically be able to reach this big underground research area that Iran is supposedly doing their nuclear research in.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of.
Speaker 3: The direct reason why Netan yahoo once the US involved, and that's kind of the most credible speculation is to like, well, if the US starts getting involved, what would we do? What would be the first direct act that we'd carry out? And it might be something like using a B two to drop one of these bunker busters in Iran.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people have been speculating wildly about various separatists groups in Iran, right, both BLOK and Kurdish.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have seen a number of photos that are more than a decade old circulating with the claim that they are happening currently. That not for what it's worth. I don't see the US allying with with Peyak or the No Kurtis Dan Free Life Party that's still listed a foreign terrorist organization. Obama did that and it hasn't come off. So it would be quite a swing for the for the US to first delist them and then immediately sort of do what they did with the with the PYD in Western Kurdistan. Right, So don't see that happening in the near future anyway. It's anything's on the table with the Trump administration, right, But yeah, I think some of that speculation is maybe not grounded in reality. There are other It's kdpis PAK right, these is sort of more amenable to the American political outlook Kurdish groups. But again, I don't see anything to indicate that the US is attempting to arm and equip a proxy force to do like land warfare in Iran.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we could be a few days, we could be a few weeks away from that, but then there's not indicating it yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's a couple of things people will bring up whenever they think that the US is about to go to war with Iran or someone else. One of them is like the Pentagon dominoes order, like basically the dominoes near the Pentagon, Like how busy it is, right, the idea being that they order a bunch of pizza when everybody's going to be staying in staying up late in order to carry out some sort of a strike or a deployment.
Speaker 4: And the other that.
Speaker 3: I've started seeing is like photos of lobster being served at various bases, and people being like they only serve lobster when they're about to deploy everybody, Neither.
Speaker 4: Of these is accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Pentagon pizza thing is a common myth, but you can find one hundred cases. Sure, you can find a couple of cases where pizza sales surged and we were carrying out some sort of attack and one of those. You can find one hundred times where pizza case, like, pizza orders surged and nothing happened because like someone had people had to stay overnight to get some compliant shit ready or whatever. Like the fact that people are ordering pizza at the Pentagon, they do it for reasons other than war. Or ditto if you talk to anyone who was deployed, surf and turf and lobster are served with some regularity at a variety of bases, and it doesn't correspond necessarily to any kind of mass movement or activation. You need to actually, like look at the degree of time it took to get the forces ready that we moved in with to invade Iraq in two thousand and three, because it was a massive logistical effort and it was super obvious what we were doing because hundreds of thousands of people had to be moved around the world with massive amounts of materiall. And what you're seeing right now is you're seeing a lot of our refueling planes, like you're seeing a lot of those moving into the area. And we're moving the Nimitz carrier groups with second carrier group into the area. But those don't say to me, we're about to have tens to hundreds of thousands of ground troops invading Iran. Those say number one, as we were doing previously, we're expecting a lot of incoming towards Israel, and we are going to continue to help shoot down that incoming. And number two, and this is kind of the most extreme thing that I see right now. We're going to be either directly supporting or carrying out airstrikes in I run and both of those are possible based on what we've seen. But what we're not seeing is full scale military evidence of a full scale military deployment. We're just there's just not evidence of that yet.
Speaker 2: Well, especially because the entire military is busy with more important matters, like it's poorly marching in a line in Washington, d C. Including rolling over, rolling over, a woman in a tank, I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they killed a lady with Well it wasn't in a tank, it was the truck carrying the tank.
Speaker 4: There you go, which is fucked up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's only it's only the Soviets rollover people with tanks. In America. We put tanks on a truck, rollover with that.
Speaker 2: So this past Saturday we saw Trump's birthday party military parade, also celebrating the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the US military. Meanwhile, across the country, in almost every major city, there was quote unquote no Kings protests in protest of the Donald Trump military parade event. I think they renamed them no Tyrants garrison to uh except yes, to not piss off Kings. Yes, yes, in the in the countries where there are monarchies. Yeah, the No Kings organization renamed renamed their protests to no Tyrants.
Speaker 5: You'll need to hang your fucking head and shame if you're doing that. Shame, I think.
Speaker 3: But before we get to what's sucked about this, we should talk about some stuff that I think was good planning. Yeah, for official number one, it was smart to hold a bunch of mass demonstrations the weekend of his birthday in order to make that not the main story, and also to kind of it further highlighted the fact that his the big military parade looked like shit, Like this was not that was not that's not like bad planning, right, like you want to do it And the distract and the fact that these were so large is not bad, right, It's not enough. It's a start point, not an endpoint. And there's a lot to be worried about here, including the fact that they have no real demands, clearly, which you can kind of see from the fact that they went from no kings to know tyrants when they were like, well, now there's going to be some sympathy protests and places with kings.
Speaker 2: We're going to have the some kings protest.
Speaker 3: Maybe just hold the line that kings are bad homeie. I don't know, but I will say again, like timing was not bad, and the number of people they were able to mobilize, the scale of the demonstrations, these are good things. And there's costs for some optimism here. So I don't I never want us to just be like shitting on people trying to do stuff. So let's start by saying like there were some good stuff here, there were some good calls made. There were also some bad calls made, and we're going to talk about those now.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think if I just give an overview of the violence used against protesters and then we can get into a couple of these incidents.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, absolutely so.
Speaker 5: I've been trying to collate a list of arm threat I'm aware of arm threatened Phoenix, where the person was arrested in Pueblo, where the person was I guess suppressed by like people at the parade, armed people at parade, and then arrested. Nashville the person was arrested and had a shotgun with some pretty concerning right wa shit on it.
Speaker 3: Is that the one that had bombs or was that the Phoenix guy?
Speaker 5: I think I'm not aware of the I haven't read about the bombs. The guy in Nashville had a moss Berg five hundred with like one three one and Dais Voult and yeah, yeah, yeah, all kinds of right wing shit and some I had a Curtis yarb in Dark Enlightenment.
Speaker 3: Patch Jesus, Yeah, not great, good week for courtisyar of it. Yeah yeah, yeah, big pr okay, Yeah, No King's protester, the armed man arrested at the protest in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's another one.
Speaker 4: Had more than a dozen explosives at home. Kevin Krebs. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we've seen that's four armed attacks right Pennsylvania, Phoenix, Pueblo, in Nashville that I'm aware of that maybe more. It's been kind of hard to collate these, and when we're recording pretty shortly after those protests happened in Los Angeles, the artthreat came from the cops who tear gassed people, shot them with impact munitions, trampled them with horses, and hit them with billy clubs.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing in port We had a mass rally in Portland, like the No King's rally, which was like mostly fairly safe and kind of like more lib and oriented, family friendly, and then that did because there were so many people out in like the eight to ten thousand range. You got a much larger demonstration at the ICE headquarters building in McCadam in Portland than we'd been seeing. There have been demonstrations there for a while, but they've mostly been in the dozens. And there were on Saturday, like six hundred people or so at the height of that, and so folks managed to actually breach the door of the facility briefly. On several occasions, BORTTAC officers pulled their live firearms and pointed them at the crowd like unholstered handguns, and in one case is a pistol calendar car mine aimed.
Speaker 4: Them at people.
Speaker 3: A nurse who was showing up there to do protest medic stuff got shot in the eye with a less than lethal munition. So just a tremendous amount of violence and something like thirty four arrests so far over the last few days. Yeah, protests continue at the ICE headquarters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Similar situation in Atlanta where there was arrests at the big protest on Saturday. To your gas, people were charged with wearing a mask at a protest, which is a crime in Georgia. It was rescinded during the pandemic, but now it is being enforced once again.
Speaker 4: San Diego's go ahead. I was just gonna say, you know, what, isn't san Diego our sponsors.
Speaker 5: Hopefully he can never tell mate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, and we're back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm aware of like Bebe five vehicular rammings across the week or so attacks with vehicles at least one person in a coma. San Diego's protest, by contrast, was I've seen various numbers, but extremely safe, very very like lib coded. I saw a post from the police congratulating the protesters on a peaceful protest day. So it went down differently here. I have been denied my press bus by the city of San Diego because they exempted podcasts when we were mean to Todd Gloria.
Speaker 3: They really got pissed at that, didn't they.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, we got him, man, We got him. So parking, what's a motherfucker for me? Because I don't have one of the press parking placards. It's only caught the tail end of that.
Speaker 2: We continue the igadapenir tradition of getting into rivalries with various municipal governments.
Speaker 3: They all hate us. You got to wonder why, man, because we're doing our job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, which is increasingly rare in the media these days, especially the local media in San Diego. You can read my Patreon piece about the local media and the mayor. If you want to, let's talk about Salt Lake City, right, Salt Lake City. This was first reported as like a prevented mass shooting. Should we like break down the timeline of events? How do we want to process?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So basically what happened at the event right is there was a person in all black carrying an AR fifteen A member of now the five ZHO five oh one organization, and this was a five oh five oh one protest has uniformed by saying, by uniform to me, they're wearing like yellow hypas vests, but they've got they've got marked security. All of these are volunteers, per their own claims, these are mostly like veterans and first responders in people with that kind of relevant experience. One of these protest security people saw this person carrying an AR at the protest. There's no evidence that this person took violent actions, that they were aiming their weapon at anyone, that they were doing anything other than marching in a matter that is legal. It is legal to open carry. There's no evidence that I've seen that the person that they saw with the AR broke the law. Protest security pulled what I believe at this point to have been a concealed handgun and opened fire. They wounded the person with the AR fifteen and they hit and killed an unrelated person who was just at the march and who was not the person that they were aiming at, and killed that person.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That person was called author Falosa Alou.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are a fashion designer of Samoan ancestry with two children. Yeah, and they died on the scene. The person who was carrying the air fifteen is the second generation of Venezuelan immigrant and a long time anti fascist activist who was wounded, and they are currently being charged. The person who was shot, not the person who did the shooting, is currently being charged by law enforcement. And basically in the same manner is that like if you rob a corner store in the police open fire to stop you and they hit and kill someone else, you will get charged with murder, right, And the argument is that, like you started the crime, and there's you know, an argument to be made there when you actually did do a crime. But again, this individual, there's no evidence whatsoever that I've seen that they committed a crime.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Utah's an open Kyrie state, right, Utah is an open Carrie state.
Speaker 1: Eight.
Speaker 3: None of the video footage I have seen, none of the evidence I have seen whatsoever suggests that this person was threatening anyone at all with their firearms. Now, I heard from some sources in the Salt Lake community, and these people had seen the individual with the air fifteen at previous demonstrations. They forwarded me some photos of this person in twenty twenty at protests, open carrying and dressed basically the same as they were dressed at this protest. They told me this was the person was kind of known in the community. They were not like super deeply tied in. They had noted that they seemed a little awkward with their gear back in twenty twenty, and that in general maybe they were like a little bit of like kind of an awkward person, or at least that was the vibes that these folks got. And they were dressed more radically than was common for the rest of the protest right. They were wearing all black, they had like, I think a bandana on their face, and their suspicion when they reached out to me was like, yeah, we think maybe he was dressed too militantly for a liberal march, and he was like adjusting his kit or something, and one of the security people's got spooted an open fire.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The five oh five oh one organization's first statement was that, you know, basically this had been a crime that had been averted, and the fact that someone else had been shot and killed was like deeply tragic, but like protest security had you know, taken action. And then within a few hours of that they were like, actually, it's become clear we don't know exactly what's going on here, so we're going to continue to wait to hear what's happening. But obviously, you know, the presence of guns is what caused this in the first place. Some more information has since come out, including five h five oh one's guide for Dealing and de Escalating People with firearms for their marked Security, which is quite bad, like to say the least, like deeply inadequate and quite racist and quite racist. There's a part in it where there's like a bunch of where it's talking about like the different kind of body language that can show you someone's about to get violent, and there's just like some clip art of non white people with guns. I don't know why they put the clip art in. Yeah, it's bad, it's really fucked up in awkward. I have reached out for a statement from five oh five oh one.
Speaker 4: But I haven't heard from them yet. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The book is called Streetwise and Study a workbook for action peacekeepers or event marshals, and I guess they're calling them action peacekeepers. A peacekeeper, sometimes called a marshal or action ambassador, helps keep people safe and make sure the action goes smoothly. The essential supplies for a prepared peacekeeper are a fully charged cell phone, contacts for police, liaison, legal observers, and other key action roles. Schedule events, map with the march route, first aid supplies your ID. Nothing in there says that you're supposed to be carrying a gun at My understanding is these people were not supposed to be armed.
Speaker 4: This person who they're saying was a veteran was armed.
Speaker 3: It's not a guide for people who are going to be confronting violence, right, Like, it's not a very good guide for that. And the de escalation stuff is really bad. Like chapter seven is on de escalating with guns. Tips for de escalating with guns. Don't panic your composer will influence the crowd and likely the gun owner. Keep your hands and avoid sudden movements. So so far that's good. Speak softly and clearly, avoid shouting or aggressive tones. Try to keep distance between the person with the weapon and the crowd, which should move away slowly. If someone from your team face the protesters, and if anyone attempts to rescue the situation, which can make things worse ha HA. Communicate with other peacekeepers and leaders and coordinate a safe response. Be ready to evacuate or take shelter if necessary. Talk calmly to the shooter and tell them you're not their enemy, repeating a phrase such as you don't have to do this, You don't have to go to jail today. You don't have to go to do this. Move deliberately and get to solid cover. Walls, cars. Cars are not solid cover. Cars are not solid cover. Neither are walls. A lot of the time, Yeah, someone's got a rifle. Get the group to sit or neil, typically for groups of high discipline. No, don't get people to kneel. If you think a.
Speaker 2: Shooter is about to open fire, that's not the right call.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: What worries me most is just both like this is there's a lot of bad advice in there. Like it's not all bad, but like there's a lot of bad stuff in there, and they immediately the security member who did the shooting and who killed someone, like, they immediately backed them up and basically argued like yeah, like that it's the fault of the person who was not doing the shooting.
Speaker 2: There's so far complicit in framing somebody else for a killing.
Speaker 5: Yes, and not mentioning Arthur philas Alu, right, the man who was killed, yes, failing to acknowledge Well, they mentioned that somebody died and that it was strategic by name, right, like this is someone's dad, someone's potner. I don't think their initial coverage did now. Yeah, I mean yeah, this is fucking tragic. It's all round. It fucking sucks.
Speaker 4: It's really tragic. It's awful. It's evan.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of things that are here. Number One, when we're talking about like armed security, a big question is like when is it more danger than.
Speaker 4: It could help? Right?
Speaker 3: And I think Number one, a situation like this where you have thousands and thousands of people in the street is not one at this point in which you get much out of having armed security. Number One, there's going to be police swarming around, and even if you happened to respond to a shooting. The odds that you get shot while doing the right thing are high because there's so many cops around. I talk a lot about the Normandale shooting in Portland, in which a member of the protest stopped a mass shooter and saved a number of lives. That was a small demo. There was no one around, really, and it was the kind of situation where you need armed security because no one is going to come for you. You are not going to get any kind of a realistic response time if an emergency happens and you need to be able to defend people immediately, right. That is a very different kind of situation from ten thousand fucking people are marching, right, So straight up, I would say, like, this is a situation if you're wondering, like, well, how do we determine like where, what's a good time and a bad time for showing up as an armed demonstrator, I would say this is not a great time. And I would say that's the primary mistake the person with the ar made, right, which is not to say that they deserve to be charged or that they caused this, because they didn't. The person who saw someone not shooting an opened fire and hit the wrong person, the person who is liable here, yeah, and who was responsible for things going badly. I think five oh five oh one probably backed this person book because they lacked perfect information and because they were really worried about their own legal culpability here. But yeah, this is just a disaster. But if you're saying anyone is responsible for this but the person who opened fire, yeah, I think that's just silly, especially since again, you're legally allowed to open carry in Utah. Yeah, you might not be allowed to conceal carry it protest like I did. I'm unaware of Utah law as regards concealed carry, but you are allowed to open carry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Some states you could be permitted and not allowed to carry a protest too.
Speaker 2: After doing this for like a number of years now, a consistent trend I've noticed is that oftentimes the most dangerous person at a protest besides the police, are really anyone wearing yellow vests. We saw this at the DNC protests in Chicago, where protest Marshall's protest security were escalating conf and trying to move certain demonstrators in the direction of police. Similar things happened at protests in Portland, even like pre twenty twenty, where people seen as quote unquote agitators would be treated incredibly hostile by protest security or protest marshals, oftentimes trying to hand them over to police custody if they were too disruptive at a protest or at a demonstration.
Speaker 3: All right, well you know what isn't disruptive at a demonstration? We're throwing too our sponsors again, get bastards.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back. I have a few other notes related to protests before we can move on. I guess one aspect of the Atlanta protests that I didn't mention before, which I think is kind of notable, is proud boys showed up. And this is one of the first resurgences of like uniformed proud boys that we've seen kind of since j Sex. So I think this is a notable trend to be aware of. Also, last week, a US district judge, Charles Bramer ruled that Trump's National Guard deployment was illegal, but the order to give control of the National Guard back to Newsom has been paused as the Trump administration appeals the ruling while maintaining command of the Guard.
Speaker 5: So something we haven't covered that much on an executive disorder, but which has been happening have been the ongoing attempt by the Trump administration to sell off public lands across the United States, spetically across the Western states.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: In this case, I want to talk about Utah Senator Mike Lee, who have authored this part of the Budgiet Reconciliation Bill, which mandates the sale of between two and three million acres of public land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service. It's happening across eleven different states. They are Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Noviland, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. I guess the West of the Rockies appreciators will notice that Montana is missing. That is because Montana's senators said they would break ranks with the party of or any sale of public land in estate. So they just got exempted, which kind of shows how very transactional this is, as does the exemption for mining claims and mineral leases. Right, So it's a public land, which is when you take a mining claim on public land, you can do all kinds of shit to that land, right, and it technically remains public land, but in practice these big mining interests have hugelywhigh and can obviously, like irreparably damage that public land they're exempt. So briefly, there was an exemption for grazing that seems to be missing in the most recent version that I have seen. For people not familiar, a large amount of Bureau of Land Management land is leased by cattle farmers for grazing. The Wilderness Society has published a really excellent interactive map of land that potentially could be sold. I will link it in the show notes and encourage you to check it out look at the land where you live. The Wordness Society has said that this will also quote mandate oily sales in the Arctic, refuge force, construction of a mining road through a national park, and more than double the amount of logging in Western national forests. This is the Trump administration's approach to fire management.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: This is not one that is based in evidence. We have decaded evidence that logging does not lead to better fire management, but it does lead to more profit for logging companies right in theory. The idea here, and I think this is a pretty cynical claim, is that this would allow for more affordable housing to be built near cities that have a housing problem right, which is nearly all the cities in the United States. In practice, BLM and US Forest Service land is almost all unsuitable for affordable housing. It's miles from utilities, It's often not well served by road networks. I'm looking extensively at the parcels in San Diego which could be listed for sale. They're so steep that it would be almost impossible to build stuff there. In practice, most of this land will be sold to large corperations. It may be used for large and highly expensive homes, but it's very unlikely that you're going to see like apartment buildings. I read through the latest version today. States do have a right first refusal to the land being sold, so that would mean states could effectively buy it and turn it into like state public land if they wanted to. The revenue from the sales will go into the general fund, so it won't go into conservation. Much of the other money you pay to a BLM or the Forest Service or like hunting lights and sales for instance, often go directly to conservation their ring fence for it. This is not only five percent will be reserved for deferred maintenance of public land, which is something that's badly underfunded right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is pretty bad. This is one of those.
Speaker 5: Things that people are asking people to call their representative or senator about. And you can check the show notes for more links on that. Look at the wilderness dot org link if you're interested in that. Gay talking of housing crises, you wanted to talk about some migrants who have been housed in a potentially substandard facility in New York, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, if you consider prison housing, which I guess kind of.
Speaker 5: Is garrison, that's the that's in New America.
Speaker 2: Fuco mentioned, So I actually want to talk about an escape from an ICE facility in Newark, New Jersey. This was Delaney Hall, a one thousand bed privately owned facility that ICE operates. This has been the site of multiple protests outside the building in recent weeks, including that one where the mayor was arrested, and there was a protest on the night of Thursday, June twelfth because earlier that day unrest in the building started after detainees were served in sufficient lunch just three slices of bread after not receiving food for more than twenty hours, people on the upper floor covered up security cameras and started damaging walls. They overwhelmed security guards on the floor, and four people managed to escape by kicking through an interior wall. The three of the men are now back in federal custody, but one still remains free, with the FBI posting wanted flyers and offering up to twenty five thousand dollars for information leading to his arrest. The executive director of the New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice, Amy Torres, said that quote chronic food shortages, undrinkable water, crumbling mesh walls, and inadequate staffing led to the chaos unquote. Those being held by ICE at the facility have reported overcrowding and being forced to sleep on the floor with drinking water either scalding hot or dirty and undrinkable.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think the initial attempt by the MAD accessor facility came after they were unable to access it for code compliance, and there's just no significant evidence a GEO group operates this facility by the way a prison contractor, and they've completely failed. It seems to comply with the basic human dignity requirements as well as building codes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just wanted to mention that.
Speaker 5: I guess, yeah, so Garrison. I know, New Jersey in New York, very very different places, but just across the way there in New York City, New York City. Controller. I think you say a controller. You don't pronounce the tea. I want to say compatroller. I want to say comptroller to.
Speaker 2: The glorified accountant, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, he is a city. He's a big boy accountant.
Speaker 2: And one of the two kind of okay mayoral candidates.
Speaker 5: Yeah who a crossingdoors.
Speaker 2: Soron Momdani and Brad Lander.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Lander is like a progressive Democrat. For what it's worse, he's also Jewish. He was detained by federal agents while accompanying a person from their immigration hearing. This is something Landa has done before. He linked arms with a man whose case had just been dismissed and who was targeted by marked agents. Lander repeatedly asked to see a judicial warrant. What agent tried to pry him away from the man he was trying to protect. As they detained him, Landers said, quoting here, you don't have the authority to arrest US citizens. A few hours later, Lander was released from custody the man he was with, who Lander pointed out, and like, you know, credit where it's due, he tried to divert focus to the person who has not been released and probably will not be released, and as Lander pointed out, whose first language was Yoruba, but was only provided with a French translator, which is not uncommon for people with languages that are not Romance languages. When Lander was released, DHS, a Department of Haundum Security claimed and email to Hellgate, New York, which is a great outlet that my friend Max stood up a while ago. He was arrested for quote, assaulting law in force and impeding a federal officer Zelmoormira. I think I'm pronouncing ana correctly. A state senator and mayoral candidate called the arrest and I quote fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. He certainly did not assault any of those unmarked armed agents.
Speaker 5: No, quite the opposite.
Speaker 2: Actually he did not even defend himself against the violence that the yeah, that they were using.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So this is the second incident this week of a democratic politician being detained. Senator Alex Padilla was also detained outside a Christine non press conference in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Right after trying to ask her a question.
Speaker 5: Yes, trying to ask a very reasonable question. Clearly, this aesthetic is something that the regime is going for right now, right violent assaults of opposition politicians. It doesn't seem like Landa's going to be charged. I have not seen anything about charging for Padilla either, but that's not really the point.
Speaker 2: Prior to grabbing him, the agents were heard talking about if they wanted to arrest the controller.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's worth noting that Lander also has an NYPD protection in detail. Who I guess accompanied him once he was detained. Cool.
Speaker 2: The last thing we're going to mention today is some more unfortunate news that came out of Saturday with the Trump military parade and the know King's protests. Very early that morning, too, Democratic politicians from state of Minnesota and their spouses were shot in a series of targeted assassination attempts. Minnesota House Speaker Melissa Hortman and her husband Mark Hortman were murdered. The other two targets, State Senator John Hoffman and his wife, were able to survive.
Speaker 5: It seems like the person who did the shooting. The person has now been detained name of Varanes Boulta. Disguised himself as a cop and was wearing a mask, and that was how he was able to get the Holtmans to open the door of their house and shortly thereafter he shot them both.
Speaker 2: I want to do a full episode in the future on this incident and the way it relates to rising political tensions across the country. Unsurprisingly, the guy who did the shooting is kind of a weird dude.
Speaker 5: Weird little guy, you might say.
Speaker 2: Garrison a weird little guy with a mix of political motivations, including anti abortion sentiments, and appeared to choose to do the attack Saturday morning to disrupt and spark violence at anti Trump protests later that day. I think that's all I need to do on this for now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we will cover it in more detail, and we're still trying to sort of gather our thoughts and our sources on it. But uh, pretty horrible shit. Yeah, any good news to end with?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. But I will end with saying we reported the news.
Speaker 4: We reported the news.
Speaker 2: It could happen.
Speaker 1: Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com. Check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.