Speaker 1: Also media, Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast that is mourning the temporary loss of its producer. Today, Sophie got into a little bit of a kerfuffle with the the ftc some shots were exchanged. Anyway, she's on the run now, but we're we're expecting her to report back in from her mountain hide away any day. But until she gets back, Samantha McVeigh is with me, uh today this week, Samantha, how are you doing good?
Speaker 2: You know, I was just saying, I feel like Sophie is our adult that supervises, so.
Speaker 3: I'm a little nervous that she's not here.
Speaker 2: But it's okay because I also did another show with Margaret and Sophie wasn't there either, So maybe she is she mad at me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, it's she's just running.
Speaker 1: It's it's just she's on the run from from the law. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's it's fine. Once she once she gets to our hidden mountain fastness, uh in an undisclosed location in the Rockies, she'll she'll be back on the calls. Everything will be fine. Yeah, it gets We're going to be doing the podcast via Morse code. Yeah, that is going to be the only way to communicate. Yeah, we're going to get some code talkers, but with like maybe maybe Klingon based. I don't think the Feds can crack that one yet. Uh not anymore. They got all those feds out. Those are the first people the Trump folks fired. Samantha stuff your mom never told you? Is your podcast? You got anything else you want to plug up at the top here before we get into our subject for the week.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Yeah, I'm on a podcast. It has a book. It's been around for a.
Speaker 1: Bit, it has it. Yeah, an OG. And speaking of ogs, we're going to be talking about one of the OG's of being an abusive Christian cult leader in the United States, the worst preacher of all time, a guy that Los Angeles residents might be are going to be aware of as well as most of our Alabama listeners. Tony Alamo, what have you heard of this guy? Do you know? Total?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, which is what I'm kind of surprised by because I was really.
Speaker 3: Deep into the Christian world. So, oh, yeah, I know this one.
Speaker 1: He is, Well, he's one of the weirder ones and he's one of like the worst people wherever he This guy, oh man, he does all of the evil cult leader things, child trafficking, slave labor, you know, all all all the good stuff, abusive, a corpse. It's great. We got a lot of fun stuff today.
Speaker 3: Some modern day Christianity.
Speaker 1: Let's go yeah, yeah, yeah, So again, his last name is Alamo, but it's spelled Alamo, but that's not how it's pronounced because the State of Texas would have come after him then he would have had the rangers on him long before the FBI finally took him down if he'd been weakening Texas' brand. But yeah, Tony Alamo. And this is this is kind of a weird one in that he is not the initial leader of his cult. That's kind of his wife. So it starts out as him being almost like you used by this cult that he later winds up running like he's always one of the people running it, but like his wife is definitely much more like the driving force of the cult when they get started, which is interesting. You don't see that a lot, you know, you know, So this is a we're gonna be talking about a feminist icon in the world of establishing a cult that chat traffics children across state lifes.
Speaker 3: And icon Well, that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. Girls can do everything the boys can do, including trafficking.
Speaker 3: That's right. Obviously, we're always saying that equal opportunity. I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of my favorite things about this is that these guys the people were talking about today were very good friends of one of our friends of the pod who had a run in of his own with law enforcement in a town called Waco. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Speaker 2: Here, Okay.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of where there's some way to go that comes in here. Yeah, ali O, Waco.
Speaker 3: All seemed too convenient.
Speaker 1: That's right. Now. Tony was not just the leader of the cult, you know again, he was basically its first member or maybe co leader, with the woman who became his wife, who we're going to talk about before we talk about Tony, because she is fascinating too, Edith opel Horn, which is you know, and she's she's got that serial killer name starting I know, Opal there's something sinister about that.
Speaker 2: It's a middle name is sinister, and it's also bless your heart, like she's going to poison you, but it's going to be a really great pie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yes, And she is she is, This is a she is a down home girl. Now, if you if your first thought when I said Tony Alamo was that like, oh, well, that's way too good a name of a cult leader to be a real cult leader's name, you are correct. And Tony was not born Tony Alamo. He was born Bernie Lazar Hoffman on September twentieth, nineteen thirty four, in Joplin, Missouri. So again, this is kind of rare for evangelical Christian cult leaders, but he was born into a Jewish family. His parents were immigrants from Romania, and while this may seem like an unlikely background again for an Evangelical Christian cult leader, Bernie's family was never religious, and as a boy, his parents identity like it told him, hey, you should tell people that you're Romanian, not Jewish, because if you tell him you're Jewish, you're gonna get beaten up. Right Like we're in We're in Joplin, Missouri in the forties and fifties. You know, you know, you really don't, you know what I mean? Dropping that too much now. Edith was also born into a Jewish family on April twenty fifth, nineteen twenty for in Alma, Arkansas, a small town about the same size as Dire, Kansas, where the family moved shortly after her birth. Her father was a convert or, her family was mixed religion. It's a little unclear to me because she told her daughter later that she first encountered the Bible reciting passages from it at her father's sick bed. He'd been sent home from the military early due to contracting tuberculosis, and over the course of several years he wasted away and tried to stay outside to avoid spreading the illness to his family. So he's like camping out to try to stop from getting his family sick, which is yeah, I mean that's some real like thirties.
Speaker 3: Just quarantine you out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dad lives in the yard because otherwise they'll get us all killed. Edith would later claim to have refused to listen to what he said and like because she was convinced that she could heal him by reciting Bible passages, so she insisted on sitting next to his cot or whatever night. This may have been later myth making after she converted, Because our only source on her childhood is her either way, what we can confirm is that from an early age, Edith dreamed of being a star in the newly forming film industry, which had just come to be centered in Hollywood, California. But her dreams were interrupted by the northern normal patterns of life in a small southern town. By which I mean she got pregnant extremely young, obviously, right, Like she's a dire like our kidsaw in the fucking thirties and forties.
Speaker 3: What else is there to do?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean literally, there is nothing else that you can do aside from get pregnant early and have your brother's and husband die of various coal related diseases or farming related accidents. You know. Yeah, yeah, obviously, like people, there have numerous different things that they can do with their lives, all of which involved dying young.
Speaker 3: Dying young.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Debbie Scrivener describes what happened next in the book Whispering in the Daylight, which is about the Alamos quote. She married at fourteen, had a baby at fifteen, and divorced at sixteen. It was then that Edith ople decided to take charge of her own journey to stardom and headed to California. When she reached Hollywood, Edith Ople changed her name to Susan Fleetwood. After failed attempts at a singing an acting career, she married and then divorced Saul Lippowitz and converted from her Jewish roots to Evangelical Christianity. She began to preach and teach informally. And she just straight up abandons her son right now. This is her son that she has at fifteen. But yeah, she just kind of bounces on the family she's got over there, moves to Hollywood and starts trying to make it. And the one daughter that she has with Saul Lippowitz is named Christhion like christ Hiao n KOI I'm guessing Koy was. I mean, I don't actually know where Koy comes from here. That must be her married name. That's what she writes under as an adult. I have never heard of the name Christhian before. This may be a misspelling of the name Christaan, like like christ o in, which is a Latin girl's name that means follower of Christ. But I don't know. Chris theon doesn't appear to be anything right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like as an amalgamation of saying Christ and then like Thessalonians, one of the chapters like.
Speaker 1: That maybe yeah, yeah, somebody's flipping through a Bible on an epidural and is like, I got a name.
Speaker 3: I'll take these two things, buy them together. Beautiful, yeah, perfect, no problems here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, according to Chris, we're going to call her Chris because I'm not going to try to pronounce that name the whole time, and that's generally what she seems to go by. Edith, her mom makes a living during this period, primarily as a con woman because she's trying to find work. In the movie, she does some acting gigs, but they do not her career doesn't take off right. Her daughter will credit this to the fact that she just does not have the look that hally Wood's going for. In this period. She was, per her daughter quote, beautiful in the weirdest way, not like you would look at her and go wow, a striking beauty. But when she walked in a room, she had so much command that people stopped talking. So she's not the kind of she doesn't have the right look to get the big Hollywood gigs. But she does have the right look to make people pay attention to her and kind of gravitates naturally to conning them as a result.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's all tracks to where she goes.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's very perfectly natural. Yes, I'm seeing the a to be here very easily, very quickly. When she managed to get work or successfully work at con the family would have money, and so during Chris's childhood they swung wildly between mild solvency and absolute poverty with such regularity that it made Chris's childhood kind of dizzying. Also dizzying was the violence that Edith employed on a near daily basis. And I'm not going to read a lot of detailed stories of physical abuse here. Chris has a book that she's going to write later about her childhood, and her book, Mama Said, has some of the worst and most descriptions of like the beating and psychological abuse of a little kid that I've ever read. Edith is a very bad mother, Like I cannot overemphasize how abuse of this woman is to her daughter, or at least that's how Chris relates it. I don't know why she would lie about the specific things that she's lying about, given that they comport entirely with the life that Edith is going to live from this point forward. Right, So, Edith, now living as Susan and her daughter, spent years on the margins. Once Chris is thirteen, Edith is like, Hey, you got to start earning your keep, right, You're basically an adult woman. It's time for you to start going out for parts and recording demo tapes as a singer. And you know, you kind of get the feeling that part of what she's doing is like, Hey, you know you're you're the age that a lot of creeps in Hollywood are interested in. If you can make that work for us, go do it. It's a it's a bad again childhood. The two live in a one room apartment with a pull down Murphy bed and survived primarily off of what Chris describes as mystery cans, which are canned foods with the labels removed that sold for cheaper than regular food. Quote, you would open these cans and whatever you opened, you ate.
Speaker 3: It's like a surprise.
Speaker 1: It's like a surprise. Yeah, exactly. You're keeping your life interesting, probably just pounding a lot of pure fucking coconut oil or whatever, like right, imagining, Yeah, yeah, pie, if you're lucky, pie me. Yeah, a lot of inspired suits. Suits. Oh my god. Yeah, that's like that. That's such a perfect like absolute poverty, uh story right there. Yeah, just just eating mystery cans with my mom as she tries to pip me out to the music industry to go, Yeah, get pregnant or drop and eat pea, right, like, those are your options. So by this point, by the times Chris is thirteen, Edith has aged out of most of the roles that interested her. Right. She is, again, particularly for this period of Hollywood, too old to become a leading lady, right, and the bulk of her earnings now come from con artistry. And here is how Debbie Scrivener describes her most successful and repeated con. She developed her evangelical skills by scamming churches under the pretense of being a missionary seeking funds. She would say to Chris put on address, We're going to do a church. They would go, and during the service, Susan would stand and say, I have a message from the Lord and I need to speak. Susan would speak, Chris would sing, church members would pass a love offering and mother and daughter would leave with money. And so, at age thirty four, Edith Opelhorn gave birth to a new persona Susan Lippowitz, with business acumen, powers of persuasion, and gritty determination. Well in place. There's some disagreement in my sources of her when she's got that's going by Susan, but it appears to be something she takes on as part of this, like I'm going to be scamming churches. And I think it's interesting again that she comes from like a background that is very much not evangelical Christianity, which may be why she knows how to manipulate these people so well, maybe it's just the simple fact that none of this is sacred to her and the way it is to these people. So she's able to kind of look in from the outside and like, oh, I know how to fuck with these I know how to get their money, right, Yeah, I know what they want to hear. They want to see my daughter singing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if she truly was trying to heal her father, realize it doesn't work and this is bs, I'm gonna just take their money.
Speaker 1: Then I'm gonna take their fucking money. They're they lied to me when my dad was sitting. Yeah, maybe there's something there too, just like if I'm green lighting the HBO mini series, that's at least how I try to gain. Yeah, that's how we're going to start.
Speaker 3: Give her a little that's her villain origin.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So Susan nursed clear ambitions of turning her daughter into a money ticket, and and Chris's initial ambition was music. But Susan was the kind of mom who was more than capable of acting on opportunity. One day in nineteen sixty four or sixty five, when Chris was in eighth grade, she rode home on a city bus. Now this was during a time again we're talking sixty four or sixty five, this is a time of a heightened racial tension, particularly in Los Angeles. The way Chris describes it decades later, and again, Chris is not being raised what we would call racially open minded. Right, Her mom grows up in the South in the twenties and thirties. She is raised believing some very racist things. So she sees Chris sees this group of black girls on the bus and quote, I may have given them a look. They didn't like I'm not sure. One of the girls responds by sticking out her foot, and Chris trips and falls, and then the girls laugh at her, and other people on the bus start laughing too, and so Chris runs for the exit and then trips herself on her way out right, and so she winds up with like scraped up, bloody knees and everything. And that's, as Chris says it, that's all that happened, right, Like, you know, she's probably this girl who's raised very racist, gives a mean look to a black girl who trips her, and the encounter ends right in the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal. But when Chris gets home, Susan sees that she has bloody hands and knees, mostly from the second time that she fell on her own. And Susan's like, what happened? And Chris told her, right, I got tripped on the bus by this black girl. And Susan responds, you let a bunch of and then she drops several slurs in a row. Run you off a public bus. Chris tries to explain, I couldn't do anything, but Susan is drunk, so she beats her daughter mercilessly breaking her nose badly enough that she has to go to the hospital because there's blood coming out of her ears. Right, So we're talking like very serious abuse here. So when they get to the hospital, they can't Susan, Like, Susan doesn't want her daughter saying, well, I got tripped on the bus and scraped up my knees and then my mom beat me so bad I have a concussion, right, because then Mom's going to get arrested. Right.
Speaker 3: That's not great.
Speaker 1: That's not great. Yeah, that's like even even in this period of time, in the mid sixties, that's child abuse. Yeah. So because her injuries require an explanation, Susan on the way over to the hospital is coaching her daughter, who has a head injury, like, hey, you got to you gotta say it was those girls on the bus. You gotta say it was like a race thing that they beat you up because you're white. And then her book, Mama said, Chris writes quote those six black girl and this is her talking about like how she what she tells the hospital, those six black girls beat me up on the bus. I told them I got on the bus and that girl tripped me, uttered racial slurs, knocked me down and kicked me. Mom chimed in to add another fantastic detail. Every time I retold the story, you know what they said to her. They were screaming at her, screaming, We're going to take over America, you white bitch. They told her this is their city. The nurses, all white, would gasp and cluck, and then even more racist things get said. I think you get the idea right. Like she is, Susan is very much leaning into the racial animus of the time in order to try and make this a story that she can sell not just to these like white hospital workers, but to the media, which is where she's going to go next, because when she calls the cops, the cops are like, we don't really care about some kids getting into a fight on a bus. This is where the lapd and this is the sixties. There's so much else going on right now and where the LAPD, So we don't really care about much anyway. So she starts reaching out to every newspaper in town to tell them increasingly elaborate lies about the hate crime her daughter had suffered. The only reporter who shows up is a guy from the Harold Examiner, and the next day Chris is on the front page of the paper. Now this ignites a response from the local community, and that's what brings the cops out. A whole bunch of particularly the most racist people in LA start sending bouquets of flowers to Chris, often with very racist messages in them. Susan, because again this is all about money for Sue, she tries to sue the bus company and eventually gets her daughter on local TV, which turns her into, in Chris's words, a martyr for the cause. The John Birch Society gets interested and Susan and Chris are enrolled in the organization. Yeah, so this is she This is like the kind of the first big con. Susan realizes she can play with her daughter, is like, I'm going to try and make her like the face of the anti integration movement, right and it You know, this works for a little while. Spurred to action by media attention, the LAPD takes to the field with the usual degree of competence you would expect. This is from Chris's book. Six black girls were arrested, thrown in jail, charged, and dragged into a courtroom to answer for my mother's crime. Mama told me I'd have to testify on the witness stand. The thought made me want to die. Mama caught me trying to overdose on pills before the court date. She poured salt water down my throat until I threw everything up. She didn't beat me this time, though. She couldn't have me showing up to court with fresh wounds. So pretty bad, pretty bad story. Yeah, she didn't beat that's but she didn't beat her. She just nearly drowned her with salt water.
Speaker 2: It's fine, fine, it's fine, A sailing solutions, everything's great. You know, I'm actually surprised that the police didn't jump in and be like, oh, racial stuff, let's go beat some people like that seems like something they would want to do because they don't actually want to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's that's my expectation. But also you have to you have to note that a big motivator for them is always not doing anything. So when they first get the phone call, they're going to be like, well, I don't care like what he tried to get me to do this? Okay, yeah, anyway, uh so that's that's what's happened so far? Pretty fun story of outrageous child abuse.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful fairy tale?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a beautiful fairy tale. This this has is a little bit there's a little bit of a fairy tale feel, except for instead of like Chris getting rich and powerful, her evil and abusive mother does right after this point. But before we hit that, let's do some ads and we're back. How are you holding up their?
Speaker 3: Sam, I'm just thinking about this. It seems like have you ever heard the story of Gypsy Rose, Yes, the child star them.
Speaker 2: This sounds like the redneck version of that, except church, which makes sense if you want to be like real honest, and I'm not gonna lie. I'm sorry to those who live in Arkansas.
Speaker 3: I know it's not your fault, but.
Speaker 2: Arkansas is one of the top four states that I'm terrified to go through as a person of color, Like, yeah, if I can, I'll never go through there.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's and again we're talking like seventy years ago in that area. So even now Susan grows up knowing like, yeah, it's like a whole different level of racism. So yeah, Chris thinks that these girls who get arrested based on her mom's lives get acquitted again. She's like in her early teens at this point in time. In her book, she speaks of feeling deep shame for the incident, particularly the damage it may have done to those girls. She claims it opened her eyes to the kind of systemic bias that black people face, and I have no reason to disbeliever her. In her autobiography she expresses pretty honest guilt and sorrow over this, And given that she is an eighth grader when this happens, I hope we can agree none of this is her fault.
Speaker 2: Like, so they found the right girls. They didn't just pick random black girls that they are like, yeah, the suits, I think surprising.
Speaker 1: She describes it as them finding the girls, but I don't actually know that that's the case. Again, her memory is not going to be perfect if anything happening right anyway, that's Susan's background. This is the woman who becomes Susan Alamo. What a delight, And she's not going to be our primary character. So the fact that again she's going to be kind of running the cult for its early years, but she'll be out of the picture after a while, and I just need to prep you with her story because Tony's is so much worse. And this gets us. And part of why we're doing this is because I have a lot more detail on her early life and young adulthood than I do the early life of Bernie Hoffman, who becomes the future toorney Tony Alamo. He's about this is interesting as a male cult leader who has a lot of sex crimes. Later, he's about ten years younger than Susan, so hey, there you go. You know, he's not going to be consistent about that sort of thing the rest of his life. But in this case, Susan is in more of a position to take advantage of him than he is of her. Right sure, I think she's also just much smarter and savvy. Bernie also moves to Los Angeles as a young adult, I think in his late teens, with a dream of striking and famous. He seems to have always wanted a career in entertainment. He was a good dancer and became an instructor for Rudolph Valentino as a young man. While still a teenager, he moves to La to break into the music industry. He records several songs at the height of the British invasion in like sixty three sixty four where he's like trying to sing like a British person, but he doesn't really know how to. It's an odd it's an odd set of choices that he's making. Yeah, but he is working with some actual people. Like the one of the songs he records, Little Yankee Girl, had been written by Bobby Jamison, who is a prominent songwriter for hire in the area, and was produced by Kim Fowley, who co wrote and produced songs for Kiss, Chris Christofferson, Alice Cooper, and others. So he is working with some people who are real music industry folks. In conversations at parties and bars, Bernie, who by this point had started going by the name Tony Alamo, would claim to have ushered the Beatles into fame and worked with the Rolling Stones as well as Sonny and Chaer. The only musician that we can prove that he promoted was Pete Best, a former member of The Beatles, but he promotes Best after Best leaves the band. And primarily what he seems to be doing is like conning people who want to be musicians out of their money by showing them this letter from Pete Best and being like, see, I helped get the Beatles started, even though the letter he's got from Best is after Best left the Beatles.
Speaker 3: So he's trying to let everybody know I have connections. I did this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the guy who fumbled the bag bigger than anyone has ever fumbled a bag. I worked with that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the person you have to google because you're not sure why you've heard of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a guy who fucked up being in the Beatles. Sorry Pete. So. Tony's usual spiel involved bragging about traveling on the road with the Beetles and the Stones. Here's an excerpt from one such recitation of his speech. The bodyguard would open the door, throw down a big velvet pillow, and we would step into the velvet pillow. The barber would comb our hair, the nurse would take our pulse. One of the fellows would spray us with cologne, and other strew flowers in our path, and the cops would stand at attention, and like, there'd be some video of this if anything like this ever happened to you, Tony, Like I know people were crazy for the Beatles, but this wasn't how they did it.
Speaker 2: I Like, I can't imagine, because it's just the thought that I was, like, I would have made immediately trip Like that does not sound.
Speaker 1: Like why are they taking your pulse?
Speaker 3: Like what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Is the pulse thing?
Speaker 3: I don't get it. I don't get this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was not particularly believable to anyone with real experience in the music industry. But those people aren't Tony's target. He is trying to get the attention of dumb, inexp sperienced young wannabes who have some cash in their pocket and who he can convince like, oh, hey, you got like if you've got a couple of grands, that's all it's going to take for me to get this demo tape into the hands of a DJ who's going to put it on the air or something like that. Right, Like the these are the kind of cons that he is carrying out right, And he makes a living doing this, not a good one. He is not super successful. He is just kind of on the edge of not starving to death all the time as a result of his income from this. Now, later in life he would claim that this year nineteen sixty four, during a business meeting, God struck him death and gave him an order start preaching the gospel or he'd be killed then and there. This is what he's going to claim later. Absolutely not what happens. And we know that because Susan's daughter, Chris, is there when Tony meets her mother for the first time, and the account she gives is a lot more believable. One day, in I think nineteen sixty six, that the timeline's a little fluid, Tony steps into a bar that and her mom are drinking at right now. At this point, Chris is kind of making some money as a recording artist. She's not huge, but she's doing like backup vocals and stuff. So she understands a little bit about the industry, and she knows people in the industry, and she's been warned about Tony and that she'd tell you something in nineteen sixty six. If you're a sixteen year old girl in the music industry, people warn you about Tony Alamo and like, you have to be really bad to cross that line. In nineteen sixty six, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess if you know enough people or the right people, you'll get good information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and she does. She gets warned about this guy, and so she warns her mom because he starts walk up to their table, and she's like, I've heard about this guy. Do not talk to him. He's a fucking creep. But Tony walks right up to their table. And my read on what happened is that, weirdly enough, Tony and Susan are kind of made for each other. They're both artists. I think initially they both identify each other as a good mark, right, because Chris claims they immediately both start lying to each other, right, trying to get money out of the other.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Tony starts talking about the stars that he was promoting, and Susan is like, I'm an actress. You know, my daughter's a singer. We've got connections. When she says that, Tony's like, oh, I can make your daughter a star. And Chris would later recall I'm watching them and it's like a tennis match of horse crap. They both think the other's got money. He gets to up to go to the bathroom, and I turned to my mother and I said, listen to me. This guy is an absolute bum, he's living with that little pregnant girl. She puts her finger in my face, which she often did, and said, you mind your fucking business. When he gets back. You wait a few minutes and politely excuse yourself from the table and don't come home tonight. So again, year Mama, the.
Speaker 2: Year Mama had a plan. At least she to'll look it out of the house, I guess. I mean, yeah, I could have gone really arrived very quickly.
Speaker 1: So it's going to go awry not much longer than this, unfortunately, of course, But yeah, I mean you are right, Mama had a plan, right, Like, Tony is not going to wind up taking advantage of Susan, like she is going to wind up kind of looping him into her thing. So he comes back and he sits down at the table and Chris looks at him or and sorry, and Susan looks at him and says, Tony, I've got to ask you a question. Did you know that Jesus Christ is coming back to Earth again? And Tony looks deep into horizon and says, of course I know that, Susan, but how did you know? And she's like, let's go to my apartment to talk about it, which is the like evangelical con man and con woman flirting is I've never really heard that story before.
Speaker 3: Oh amazing?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, we need to advertise that as the perfect pickup line for other Christians.
Speaker 1: Crime date Yeah, come on, yeah, are you looking to like rob a bunch of maga people? Like this is the dating site where you can find your person? Oh? Man, So to make a show, how did you know that? They just it's it's almost supernatural, right, They can feel the vibrations of each other, like, oh, this is a man who you know, uh is there's just nothing inside of him, but is a desire to fleece people for their money. And that's all I've got inside me. It's beautiful. I love it when people find each other.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's better than a soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, No, a soul is just going to weigh you down right, true. Yeah, if you're just completely hollow inside, you float like a witch in the fucking sixteen hundreds or whenever. So, to make a short story even shorter, the two hit it off and got married three separate times over the course of forty eight hours. Now, what did I say? Why did they get married? Three times in two days. Yeah, it does, it does They They first go to Mexico where they get hitched, but then like right when they're about to have sex, Susan's like, actually, I worry that Mexic marriage isn't legal, and I'm not going to sleep with you until we're legally married. And Tony is apparently hard up enough that he drives them from Mexico to Vegas without sleeping and purchases two marriage licenses and pasting two different marriage ceremonies just.
Speaker 3: In case she backs out another one. Really is the real one.
Speaker 1: This is the real one. And eventually Susan's like, all right, I guess we're married enough. I think this might make him the only person I've ever read about who is bigamously married to his one wife. He is going to do he does so much bigamy in the future, but he kind of does start by getting bigamously married to a single woman.
Speaker 3: He's a practice round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is his practice round of big maybe Yeah, yeah, he's the chosen one of bigamy. He's the fucking loop Skywalker of bigamy.
Speaker 2: He's gonna do it right, and he's gotta practice it and get it through and then like, you know, it perflects everything that's right.
Speaker 1: That's right. You can't just start, you know, and assume you're going to be good at it, like I don't know, surgery or something easy. So the two change their names to Tony and Susan Alamo, and they start preaching the word. Now in the beginning, this is just an iteration of Susan's extant con work at churches. Right, the new couple would trawl the streets of Los Angeles for starving hippie kids, generally kids who were like coming down from bad trips or who were living on the street because they had too many bad trips. And since these kids were broke, preaching to them wasn't there's no like money from these kids, right, So they get a bunch of followers, but those followers are just kind of eating them out of house and home. So the Alamos tell them, hey, go get jobs and mail us the money. We've got to move to Las Vegas for unclear reasons. And so they do that and Chris, Susan just kind of leaves her daughter behind in La which is I would say maybe the best thing for Chris at this point in time.
Speaker 3: Keep your mom where she was okay.
Speaker 1: From the yeah okay, Yeah, Susan's not super committed to being a mother. So Susan and Tony are in Las Vegas. Chris eventually travels there because she misses her mom, and as soon as she shows up, she claims Tony rapes her. Right, she would have been fifteen or sixteen at this point, Susan walks in as it's happening, calls her a whore, accuses her of trying to steal Tony, and sends her back to Los Angeles. And then a couple of months later, Tony and Susan returned to LA because they've found another wannabe celebrity to promote. This guy's name was Rovaugh. He was a motorcycle riding, opera singer and yeah, very multi talented, right. I don't think his career takes off, but there's enough there that Tony's able to get a lot of backer money. He's able to convince people, hey, this guy's going to be huge, give me some money to get his career started. And then he buys jewels, furs, leather jackets with that. But this business is not doing well. And so even though their first stab at becoming cult leaders hadn't really made them a lot of money. They returned to that grift as soon as they get back to Los Angeles, so they start expanding their recruitment from just some down and out hippie kids to prostitutes, to other homeless people, to failing actors, to musicians and stuff who are kind of on the margins and like government housing and the like. Some of their first marks are because they burst back into Susan's life and they take all of her friends and roommates and put them into a cult, basically convert them by being like, hey, you'll get regular meals, which they provide via diving and dumpsters for expired food. So they get all of these kids to start working, you know, just kind of bullshit jobs and funnelly that money, donating their salaries to an entity that the Alamo's established in nineteen sixty nine, the Tony and Susan Alamo Foundation. So fascinating grifts so far, you're just kind of I mean, all they're ever doing is abusing poor people, right, like that that's the Alamo con particularly her daughter's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: This is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty bleak and a big part of what they're doing is they're they're finding poor Jewish kids who are living on the streets, some of them who had converted to Christianity and others who they converted. Tony particularly was really good at converting these like down and out former hippie kids. And the more people they bring in, the more money starts to come in. Some of it's coming from members handing over salaries or like inheritances and savings accounts, but the real money comes in when Susan figures out what is their first really brilliant con So then like today, southern California has a massive homelessness problem right and specifically the kind of people who are filling the streets are the kind of people that the Alamos make their business preaching to and converting. And then as now affluent, midass and middle class people are disgusted by homelessness and eager to support anyone who promised to take these people off the street. So once they get followers and they're pulling these people off the street and they're putting them up in like rented spaces and stuff, they're warehousing them. Basically, they'll pile their followers into vans on the weekends and drive to megachurches in rich areas, and then Susan will line up with they'll clean these hippie kids up and Susan will line up with them and she'll start preaching the word, and she'll go down the line and have them all give like a version of like I was on the street, you know, doing heroin or whatever, and then I got found by the Alamos. Right, and then Susan would conclude by being like, hey, does this church support work like this, right, getting these indigent kids off the streets and back to God. Right. Well, if you want to see me continue to do this, give some money to the Susan Antonio Lamo Foundation, right. And that's the grift. Right, We're getting these homeless kids off the street, and the actual money is coming in from churches where they don't have followers, right, but they do have a lot of people who hate seeing homeless people. That's how they get their money.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean a little respect. They really did pull people off those streets.
Speaker 1: They are off the streets. They are accurately describing to an extent what they're doing. They're not giving these kids a better life or a safer life. Really not on the streets. Well, and it's it's such a fascinating like through line of Okay, I can see why that works, right, because you're able to say, hey, you know what, what what are kind of like conservative conservative Christians more scared about than anything in the early seventies the hippie movement, right, sixty nine was not that long ago. We're cleaning up after the Hippie movement, right, like that.
Speaker 3: Hippie movement exactly, anybody of different colors race.
Speaker 1: Right, and we're taking these people and putting them where you don't have to see them, right, Yeah. And they start making a lot of money doing this. Soon the Alamos have enough cash to make the dream that every cult leader has real, buying land and starting a compound. In nineteen seventy one, they purchase acreage in Saugus, California, and an old restaurant that they convert to a church. Their followers are made to live in chicken coops. Married couples get to live in shacks, and once it was known that the Alamos are doing the good work of cleaning up the shrapnel of the Hippie movement off the streets, more money and followers start to flow in. This is part of a broader trend in evangelicalism as counter swing to the Summer of Love and this sort of leftward tilt of culture at the end of the sixties. I think we're all familiar with the way in which this kind of stuff kind of yins and yang's out right, like you have your big sort of leftward shift and then this huge reactionary shift. Well, the Alamos grift hits right at the peak of that reactionary shift.
Speaker 3: Perfect timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Unfortunately, the worst people always have pretty good timing. Speaking of Samantha, let's listen to the incredible timing of some of our advertisers. We're back, oh Man, good stuff. So in her book, Betty Shriver cites an article The Great Guru Hunt by columnist Art Kunkin, who documented at the time this kind of reactionary shift occurring and the space that it was making for cult leaders like the Alamos. There is very definitely something in the air, and it is not, as I originally thought last year, just the cycle of individualism and personal mystical search that could have been expected to fill the vacuum left by the failures of mass political activism in the nineteen sixties, a certain cat is being let out of the bag accidentally or by design, which will either result in the creation of many socially motivated individuals of great personal energy who can stop mankind from destroying itself, or the widespread dispersal of these same energies utilized by egoistic persons who will accelerate the crises. Which one of those? Would you say, we got.
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 1: I mean, I find that so familiar to what we saw happened after twenty twenty. Right, you have all of these energies that get mobilized and then dispersed into these different sort of like cultic movements and disinformation streams. You know that the Internet and social media has really enabled yeah, by egoistic persons who accelerate the christ that the mobilization had existed initially to fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they're the only ones profiting off right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, like we can. Oh boy, I mean it's sad, it's good. I go back and forth between, like, I guess it's comforting that this happened back then too, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it?
Speaker 2: Or is it just frustrating that this cyclical thing has to continue to happen and we just have to never learn, like we never fucking learned, or the people that have learned really well, and so they bring it back so they can make that profit.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw this computer, keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that that's yeah fair. As the money flowed in, the Alamos constructed a new facility, Music Square Church in Hollywood and started filling it with street kids. Susan handled much of the foundations outward facing communications to what we might call normies, the big donors and leaders of other churches, while Tony handled converting new followers and took point on actually creating a belief system for their teeming legions to follow from a book by Greta p Allendorf quote, The Alamo ministry preached a wide range of ideas in times paranoia, UFOs as divine messengers, and Vatican conspiracy theories. Tony hated the Catholic Church and blamed them for everything bad that had ever happened, including Nazism. One Alamo tracked entitled the Pope's Secrets Read the Vatican is posing as snow white, but the Bible says that she is a prostitute, and I I mean he's not one hundred percent wrong about the Catholic Church being particularly fucked up in this period of time, given what we're going to find out in the late nineties and early two thousands. But it's also like not more responsible for that kind of thing than his own church is going to be, right, Like Tony's also you know, a prostitute of people's souls, you know, like he's a pimp of people's souls. I should say that's how he makes his money. Right. So, in her book, Betty does a pretty good job of explaining how the conversion process worked for new inductees. After they were picked up generally hungry on the streets of Hollywood, they'd be promised a meal and taken by bus to Saugus. Quote from the moment Brenda and Daniel arrived at the corner of Hollywood and Highland to catch a bus. The brothers and sisters separated them. A woman known as Sister Cynthia ushered Brenda to a seat For the next forty five minutes. Cynthia fervently explained that all the signs of the end times written in the Bible were currently happening. She pointed out the vapors of smoke covering Los Angeles. She mentioned earthquakes and wars. Cynthia told her that God was looking for dedicated laborers to preach and save souls before Jesus returns. The bus pulled off on Sierra Highway and Saugus, the heart of Canyon Country. Hundreds of people were milling about, greeting the buses and leading people about the grounds. Brenda, Daniel, and the others were ushered into a large hall where they sat on benches and waited expectantly. The room was packed with people standing room only. Brenda was a bit uneasy, but Cynthia assured her that she was in for a treat. A man who called himself Brother Michael, stepped up to the podium and gave a hearty welcome to the gathering. You're as welcome as the flowers of May and the noonday sun. Praise the Lord. Amen. He continued with a few rules that included no talking during services and a ban on literature from other places. Brothers walked through the rose to collect foreign forbidden materials. Brothers and sisters called over seers, monitored the physical needs and functions of the community, such as water supply, electricity usage, and even the distribution of toilet paper, often pages torn from telephone books. They had to seek permission from Tony and Susan for every aspect of their existence. One evening, after dinner, sister Cynthia sharply reprimanded Brenda for overstepping the authority of an overseer, which he turned on the lights in a building. Brenda said, but I thought I should turn on the lights since I was the first to arrive. Cynthia retorted, there you go, thinking again, Oh fuck, that's some good classic cult banter. Yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the thing about cults, I think, and this is kind of one of the big problems, especially a cult like this. If you know, you want to sit back and say the man they were, but those rules apply for so many of the churches, like literally the type that I.
Speaker 3: Grew up in.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't say necessarily you couldn't turn on the lights, But the idea don't bring in literature, don't learn things on your own, was very much like place and told us like things like seminary and the being, any of those places were against God and not having faith. So like Unfortunately that because this cult is so crazy, it makes the other things look normal and it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay though, No, yeah, you're not very okay with all that.
Speaker 3: I'm okay though.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Physical punishments were common, as is sexual violence from Tony, who really seems to prefer young teenagers to adult women, including his wife. What keeps people from leaving? You're not going to be surprised to hear this. It's a fear of hell, which is implicated daily from sermons by the Alamos and their followers. Every day they would tell new inductees and their old followers stories about people who had joined the church, left and immediately died. Right, if you leave the church, basically you are instantly going to be dead, right, and then you go to hell. You go straight to hell. Right. You know it's not new, but it serves right. You know, this is a functional, functional cult thing to be doing.
Speaker 3: This method is proven, is sound. Let's keep going with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly why. It's like driving evolvo, you know, why fuck with what works? Occasionally, So, the only reason normal believers would need to leave the property was to work, and more and more of them worked for businesses owned and operated by the Alamos. They also had to travel to churches and civic centers to deliver what the Alamos called popcorn testimony. These are the little speeches by former hippies and homeless people that opened up donor pocketbooks, right you know where they're saying like, hey, if I hadn't if the Alamos hadn't found me, I'd be dead or in jail or in a mental institution. You know, these are the popcorn speeches. By the mid nineteen seventies, the Alamos are wealthy, they're outwardly respectable. They're operating several successful businesses that we're keeping according you know, in the eyes of a lot of Angelino's, the riff raff off the streets, and you know where they belong, locked up somewhere away from the people with expensive houses. Susan Tony then got to live the life of high rolling multi millionaires. On one famous occasion, Susan showed up for an interview wearing a Lynx jacket and a floor length address, telling the interview where God wants his children to go first class and I guess to have links links for jackets.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to show off when you're blessed. That's right here with hashtag blessed that's right.
Speaker 1: If you don't do that, people might not really believe that God has blessed you, and that endangers their souls.
Speaker 3: That's the point. Yeah, you're not going to be blessed.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you understand it. Right, You're really doing this for their souls, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not going to show you my jacket right now. I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: No, no, but you have a lot of links. Uh, you're you're heavy, heavy end the lynxes, which who isn't Yeah, exactly, That's all I wear is lynxes. This is one hundred percent lengths hoodie. It's really hot though, it's incredibly warm. Yes, not at all comfortable, especially when I've got the heat on. So in nineteen seventy five, we finally get some good news, which is that Susan gets diagnosed with cancer. Now, as a little girl, she had claimed to have been struck. Sometimes she would claim that she caught tuberculosis from her father, right and that she had been healed by God after praying. And as a result, when she gets sick, she prescribes herself and as well as prescribing Tony and most of their followers that they're going to pitch up stakes and move back to Arkansas where they'll be healed. Right, They still keep the Saugust compound open. They still have their followers there like recruiting people off the streets of la and raising money working some businesses, but kind of the core of their best followers. And they take most of their money to a place called Dire, Arkansas, which is where she'd grown up, and they buy a compound. So this is a little town population less than five hundred, and they make, you know, people notice when they suddenly drive in because they only have black Cadillacts. That's the only car his followers drive. So he has, like suddenly this huge fleet of new black Cadillacts and dozens of converted hippies move into this very small town. Their combat is centered around the home that had been Susan's home when she was a little girl. They expanded it and updated it with all of the least classy adornments their new riches could buy. Greta Allendorff writes the couple was fond of red carpeting, chandeliers, and velvet wall coverings and installed them in every space they occupied. Just the most hideous place you could imagine.
Speaker 3: I needed to be shaggy carpeting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh my god, some like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bear skin rugs, that's right, I need all of them. And then golden candles, yes.
Speaker 1: Golden candles. Every wall is pure velvet, like I mean, the instant you drop a cigarette in this place, it goes up right. Just beautiful stuff. So at this time they also begin construction on a sprawling Victorian home on the mountain, complete with dormitories for their followers in a heart shaped pool for Susan. A grand church hall is constructed for their evangelical TV show where Tony sang loves songs for Susan such as my personal favorite, I love you so much it hurts Me. Now. One of the things that interesting is that, like a lot less of his songs than you'd expect given who he is, are like actual religious songs, Like again, this is just him talking about how much he loves his wife, his horrible, evil wife. But I do feel like I'm legally bound to show you a video of the Alamos playing this song. Now, this should tell you something about like the level of because I'm talking about these people, they are a cult. They're very abusive. That's not how they're treated. They are as like megachurch pastors who are widely beloved.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The clip that I'm about to play is from a performance that they make at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee, which is a very real, very major venue for country Western musicians. Right, this is not like a fringe thing. If you're at the grand Ole Opry, like you have a degree of legitimacy within the music within at least like the country Western chunks of the music industry.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: Or did they just pay a lot of money.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that may be what they did, but in terms of people looking out from the from the outside end, or just say like, well they're on the grand Ole Opry, so they must be legit.
Speaker 3: Right, legitimate. Yeah, it's a Dolly Parton right there, right.
Speaker 1: Well, Dolly Parton will show up in this story unfortunately. No. Oh yeah, it's it's not all that bad in terms of her involvement. But she's not completely uninvolved with the Alamos either. Great stuff. So I'm going to oh, yeah, look at them, why do they off?
Speaker 3: They're an off break? And like Johnny Cash.
Speaker 1: He is so tony Alamo. If you're not able to look at the video of this, you should. I would recommend checking some of them out on YouTube. They're all over YouTube. Tony looks like off brand Johnny Cash if he like if he put on about forty pounds of just water weight and.
Speaker 2: A week shipped from Timu, Yeah, ship from He's because he.
Speaker 1: Got a little melted in the shipping container. And then I don't know, like honestly, Susan and I like she she's wearing like a fucking opallescent white out like pure white, but it's like a shiny opalescent.
Speaker 3: White, so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: It looks horribly uncomfortable. She is dying of cancer at this point, but legitimately yeah, yeah, yes, yes, she's sick by this point. It's going to take her a while to actually fucking die, like years, but she is sick at this point. She her head, the shape of it. She looks kind of like one of those gray aliens wearing a skin suit, like that's Susan Alamo looks except for like a lot of makeup too.
Speaker 2: What is that one movie I already forgot that has the aliens and obviously the White House is.
Speaker 3: Involved, like uh ship Glenn closes in it, and I think he like, do you know.
Speaker 1: Correct, Let's let's let let's let's look this up real quick.
Speaker 3: Could be wrong. There's those aliens that's so bad, like digitally.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound familiar to me at all. Mar Wait, they're saying at Mars attacks. Yes, yes, she does look like she's she's got, she's got, like if those aliens were wearing like a rubber human.
Speaker 3: Suit head what loos like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fascinating. What I what I want to get across is that they really don't look like regular people, like real people. Like they both look like almost cgi.
Speaker 3: Humans and she scares me.
Speaker 1: They are both frightening, I would say, but her particularly yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like she I see her beating people. I see that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, not hard. So now that we've said that, let's listen to them play beautiful music.
Speaker 6: Together to be dedicated to a message in songs. And it's Tony Alamo, J D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, and we're going to try to preview as much of this album as we possibly can. So if you'll just stay right here with us and now, Tony Alamo, J D. Summer and the Stamps Quartet, I love you so much it hurts me.
Speaker 3: She stills expiring.
Speaker 5: This song is dedicated to my wife, Susan. It's a message and song that's so very dear to my heart because I lived every word of this song during a very long long news.
Speaker 1: With my Susan.
Speaker 3: This is so painful.
Speaker 5: During those long dark years, I cried out to God every day of my life to let my sweetheart live. God and his divine mercy hurt my cries, and he answered my prayers.
Speaker 1: I love your soul much.
Speaker 5: It hurts me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we're good.
Speaker 3: It went away.
Speaker 1: Oh I stopped it. We didn't need it, We didn't need to keep going. I want to hear his singing voice.
Speaker 2: Really bad, Liken skip the Sunday.
Speaker 1: It feels like a parody of like Johnny Cash is a fucking uh scam preacher. Yes, his outfit is amazing. He's like standing alone on this bad Yeah, it's so good to haunt me. It's a haunting vibe.
Speaker 3: Right, I need someone come say to my house.
Speaker 1: It's like it's a deeply evil vibe. Yeah, like I can. I'm so glad the cancer came back, which it does. Susan dies in nineteen eighty two from the same cancer that had inspired the move back to Arkansas. Now, sam this creates real issues for Tony because by this point he and Susan they had spent seven years or so, you know, since she got sick preaching that she and he couldn't die.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Susan had described herself because they have a TV station by this point, she would call herself the Lamb of God and would say that she and Tony were both had to be alive on earth to act as witnesses for the end times. Right, So the fact that she is dead now creates a real pickle for Tony Alamo and the cult, one that they're going to have to resolve in part two. You got any ideas about how they resolve it.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking like we can a Bernie Oh my god, yes you've got it.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, indeed, absolutely, like an R rated weekended Bernie'. Unless Weekended Bernies was rated R I was. I think it was in the eighties, then like an X rated weekended Bernie's. Okay, uh, Samantha, before we record that, you want to throw out your pluggables here because we're done with part one.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, you can find me on stuff Mom Never told you. With my co host Annie, we talk about a lot of intersectional stuff, so that means really sad stuff right now until like you know, we're actually on the list and people come at us. But anyway, that's a podcast that I'm on. And then you can find me on Blue Sky McVeagh Sam, and that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, check out Sam, find her on the Blue Sky. Listen to her podcast, and you know, listen to this podcast that you just listen to, go back in time and listen to it a second time so that we start trending in the other time streams, you know, right.
Speaker 3: Or also listen to that song to your love, you know what.
Speaker 1: Put that song on and listen to nothing else for the next like forty eight hours. Right, It'll be fine. You're gonna be great. You're gonna do You're gonna do good. You're not gonna lose your mind.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash At Behind the Bastards