Speaker 1: Welcome in Tough Bears Weekly powered by IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears Network production. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Aparently, CD Kellaghy, Connie's Pizza, IGS Energy, and Meller Liked. Here are your hosts, Jeff chill niac Ka, the Mayor of Bearsville, and his sidekick, Tom the Surfmaster Thayer.
Speaker 2: Yet another mile pole reached in the Bears offseason with the opening of Rookie Minicamp tomorrow. The twenty twenty five class of eight draft picks and collection of undrafted players and Mini Caamp invitees will look to impress Ben Johnson and his coaching staff and start to acclimate in the Bears way for this day and beyond. Welcome to the Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Chicago Bears Radio Network with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. We're joined by former Bears quarterback Jim Miller from sirius XM NFL Radio.
Speaker 3: My name is Jeff Joniak.
Speaker 2: Coming up with the program, we visit with another Bears round Draft picked, my sit down with offensive lineman Asie Trpido. Gentlemen, how are we feeling Tom from MAUI. What's the latest from your perspective, I wish you were here from mini camp and see the young guys, see him walking to see him walking through the building. They look like pros already.
Speaker 3: Tommy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've kind of probably been in the minority. I've never I never have been a really big fan of rookie mini camps. But I think this year, unlike any others, it's really gonna play play an important role in the development of the roster because, first of all, the assistant coaches get a chance to get the each other and coaching from the meeting room to on the practice field, and then you finally get an on field evaluation of how these guys are fitting into the positions.
Speaker 2: All right, so Tom's having some technical problems. We'll get to him in a minute. Jimmy, I'll pick you could pick it up from there on the baton.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They get to get on the field, get on the grass a little bit, stretch their legs out, learn the basics right literally, where you're gonna run to during drills, how they work, and just the techniques and fundamentals.
Speaker 5: Jim all right, I believe you got me, don't you care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, there, you go, there go there, my.
Speaker 5: Friend, But yeah, I think a lot is going to be thrown at these guys. And it's not just from the football side, you know, it's how to be a pro, what they expect you of you, how to conduct yourself as a Chicago Bears. So there are rules of what it means to be a Chicago Bear. But this thinks, oh, you're draft by the National Football League and you're fined by the National Football League and all these things that they're in charge of. No, they work for the Chicago Bears organization, and the Bears have their way of doing things, and there's going to be introduced to the expectations from that standpoint, obviously, the tradition, the history, all those things. Get to know your fellow co workers, and it's not just your teammate, it's everybody in the building. They're in Chicago. And then of course comes the football side of it in getting introduced to whatever side of the ball they're playing on. What's expected there where you line up. Here's your playbook, here's what expected, here's your itinerary. Got to show up on time, got to be on time, here's here's our install here's how we conduct these meetings, and it's going to be at a pretty rapid pace. And I think for some players. Obviously, everybody learns at a different rate and you try to adjust and in all those things. But there's a lot coming at these these young players, and I'm certainly for Ben Johnson, he wants it very competitive. Certainly, there's you know, there's so many things that you can scout. Granted, they scouted these players enough to be on the Chicago Bears football team, but the scouting just starts right now as well. Every day that there is Chicago Bear, they're going to be scouted. Hey man, how did this player perform today? They're going to get great out on every single play from the first one to the last one in every single practice. Are you getting better? Are you getting worse? Does a player understand it? All those coaches after a day of practice, they're down in those meeting rooms saying, hey, how did so and so do today? You know what were you looking at? How did he perform? And they're discussing all these things, and then of course the next day the more is added, and then more is added, and more's headed so it's a foundation, and then you just continue to build that foundation every single day and more is going to be expected every single day, and so it will become routine and it will become rope. Memory is the goal, and for these players to all improve to what to win a championship. It starts now. It truly does start now. It already started with all the scouting that went on and knew who they drafted, but it truly this is the team and these players are going to have to compete from here on out, and there will still be players that come and go. I think everybody's aware of that as well. Make it as competitive as it can be for the Chicago Bears because they have work to do in order to be relevant in the division of the NFC.
Speaker 2: North, and they are already here tonight in meetings. I see them going to meeting, So getting the rundown right now. Tom's on the phone. Now, you know, I think about Ben Johnson, Tom and his mentality and what he wants to establish here, this competitive mindset, this competitive attitude. You know, I think he will vet a lot of things out on that practice field, no matter what they're doing, just just to find out, like what's the floor of each player where they got to go to to reach the level he expects in terms of effort and understanding, And then includes the tryout candidates who are going to be just wide eyed and bushy tailed because they don't have a contract yet. Some guys have been signed here today, undrafted guys sign will go through those in a minute, But I really get a kick out of watching the guys who got the invite to fill out what may you know? You basically have, you know, forty guys running around here to have drills properly having numbers. But some of those guys they might get an invitation to make this football team and go to training camp at a minimum.
Speaker 4: You know, Jeff, there's not one guy that's gonna walk in the building and you're gonna tell him he doesn't deserve to be here. Every one of these guys are just gonna start scratching the surface of maybe creating an opportunity for themselves here or even somewhere else. But you know, I always find it interesting for the guys that may have to play a little bit different of a position than they're gonna get honestly evaluated that from college, whether it's a guy pillow.
Speaker 6: They want to see it.
Speaker 3: He all right, Tom van Wyman, Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: We're having more technical problems with Tom, so we'll get back to him after the break. Numbers have been given to these players, Jim, so number eighty four will be your first round pick, Colston Loveland number sixty five, Luke Newman number twenty five, Kyle Manangai and Luther Burden. The third will be number eighty seven. You know this is at least for starters, Jim. Those numbers could change over the course of the season. Those gentlemen signing contracts with the Bears already also Ze Frasier number twenty and Reuben Hippolyte number forty seven. Schamar Turner and Ozzie Trapillo ninety five and seventy five each.
Speaker 3: They have yet to be signed.
Speaker 2: But and then they undrafted a couple of interesting You got another kicker in camp in Jonathan Kim out of Michigan State. You probably know all about him. You're a Michigan State guy. And then a long snapper also to help out. You need those guys. I know they have that position signed, but Luke Elkin from Iowa is highly respected long snapper and somebody that Troy Taylor. Tory Taylor knows from the punning game at Iowa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, well, you know, and that's why I said, guys are still going to be coming and going. I mean, this roster is not set, is going to be fluid. That's why you know, the coach talked about that everything's got to be your there's no depth chart, right, That's what Ben Johnson talked about, And there isn't a depth chart. I mean, they truly need to be competing. And like I said, players, from my standpoint, players will be coming and going pretty pretty fluidly in Chicago because it hasn't been good enough. So if players aren't keeping up with say their study habits or how they're performing even out there in the OTAs no different than Pete Carroll did. Like I said, his first two years out at Seattle, they had two hundred and thirty six roster changes. Okay, so Pete Carroll's like, all right, we need to fix say our edge rushers. Well, this guy's struggling. We need to get another guy in here. So to me, that roster is going to be very fluid for the Bears. There will be guys coming and going. Yes, these players are chosen initially, that we think you are good enough to be a part of the Chicago Bears organization in what we have planned moving forward, but that it's not with an exclamation point or a period like that's final right now, because it's not because the winning hasn't been there, so it is not complete yet and it will be fluid all the way up through training camp.
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back, we'll visit with one of the new Chicago Bears, a guy who's gonna get a lot of attention once training camp hits as well. Ozzie Trpido, the second round pick from Boston College. It's coming up next here on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Networks.
Speaker 7: Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years, the chef Showney Chef on the Bear's Radio network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy. Right after he was selected and the second round by the Chicago Bears and arrived at Halis, saw Ozzie Trpido kind enough to sit down to discuss the next phase of his football life.
Speaker 3: Because just because you.
Speaker 2: Go through the combine, have a great career at college at Boston College, the work now just getting underway. As he walked into hanlesaw admiring all the history in the building.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's easy to fall into that trap that, like you just said, I've been training for the combine, for the draft, getting ready. You know, in perspective, it seems like that's the end of Michael, the short term at least, but it's really the beginning. And you know, showing up here, seeing all the walls, seeing it, you know, everything that everyone's done in the history of this place is truly incredible, and it just kind of reminds me this is this is just the start.
Speaker 2: Being a top sixty four pick in a draft is significant.
Speaker 3: I know everybody wants to be a first round pick.
Speaker 2: But emotion wise, when you got the call from Ryan Poles, had a chance to visit with him on the phone, a BC guy himself, and then of course the head coach, Ben Johnson, how did you accept all of that conversation.
Speaker 3: What were you thinking in the moment.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I was at a loss for words, to be honest, I still am. It doesn't feel real yet, you know, adrenaline pumping. I mean, like I mentioned, all of my dreams my whole life as long as I can remember, are coming true. You know, as we speak, it's all unfolding right in front of me. So it's really an amazing experience and I'm super fired up about it.
Speaker 2: And obviously it's not possible to bring up your late father, also a draft pick of the New Orleans Saints back in nineteen eighty seven draft out of BC pick ninety six. How does your family and yourself digest that and process that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I know for me personally, it's really cool to be able to accomplish the same goals that he did, you know, play in the NFL. That's always been my dream, So for him to do that sort of lead the way. And then obviously, you know, go through that tragedy when I was at a young age. To be able to live that same life is really amazing. I know, my mom, you know, is very proud of me. She lets me know all the time, and I'm super thankful for her. I have no doubt I wouldn't be here if it wasn't, you know, for her by my side throughout the whole process. So great family, unreal support system. I'm super lucky back home, and yeah, everyone's excited.
Speaker 3: You're probably eleven. What would you be thinking right now? Yeah, right, yeah, exactly. Yeah, that's the that's the part of it. That's cool. And how about it Ryan Pole's father played with him. I know, I know.
Speaker 8: I actually didn't even I had no idea until I got on that phone. And again I was at a loss for words, you know, heart pumping, everything's happening right in front of me. But when he said that, it was like it was it was very cool to hear that, you know, so super happy.
Speaker 2: How significant it is it in your opinion that you played for It turns out to be two head coaches, two significant coaches in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: One was Bill O'Brien.
Speaker 2: He was a head coach, but also Jeff Hafley up in Green Bay defensive coordinator was your head coach.
Speaker 3: For a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, they did a great job. I've been really lucky with coaches. BC has done a great job, you know, with coaching staff, and the coaching staff has done a great job with all the guys. So having coach Half and coach O'Brien, you know, through my time there was incredibly beneficial. The way they coached, the way they communicated with us, the way that things were scheduled. It really I think prepared me for this level and I'm thankful for it.
Speaker 2: And you get to see coach half twice a year now in the biggest rivalry in sports.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How weird is that?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: How do you see your traits and skills fitting the culture that you're hearing that Ben Jonson is building here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I pride myself on toughness and discipline. Those are two things that I think I really try to take to my game, take to every practice, every snap, you know, on and off the field. So having the ability to do that here, you know, I met with them earlier and he said those are two things that they're looking for in their alignement. So I'm really excited to just go out there and demonstrate that, you know, I could be a help to this team.
Speaker 2: What do you feel when you meet him for the first time, because he's a ball energy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, it was great. You know, again, the emotions are they're still floating around. I'm in a whirlwind. I'm trying to get my footing. But it's been an amazing visit so far, just meeting all the people, you know it, seeing what the future is going to hold it is really exciting.
Speaker 3: Smart, tough, dependable.
Speaker 2: I hear that from coach O'Brian and that's definitely what we're hearing here.
Speaker 3: You check all those boxes.
Speaker 2: How important is that to you to know that people look at you that way?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that it's it's you know, I'm very proud of that. I think, you know, going through BC. Having these people with the resumes that don't lie, like like you touched upon earlier and they say those things about me is really incredible. I'm super happy about it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, do you believe that you're a tone setter when you play?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know. I wouldn't say it's unique, but I definitely don't let my emotions get the best of me on you know, on the field. I try to play compose at all times. But doing so, you know, state disciplined, state technique oriented, and then you know, go out there and accomplish the goal.
Speaker 2: So I understan And you were being trained a little bit with Dante Scarnik. Yeah, his name is you know, a religion in the National Football League. Certainly after what was that like, would you would you learn from him in this process?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean he's you know, his resume doesn't lie. He's an incredible coach, always will be. He'll he'll never lose that that aspect of him. So being able to work with him and other guys, you know, specifically ones at BC over the years, it's it's been amazing seeing the way he coaches, you know, seeing the way he talks to his players, seeing him off the field, you know, when you're walking in the small talk conversation, great guy, and then he flips that switch and he's in coach mode and it's really incredible. So I'm super fortunate to have been able to work with him.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, are you also taking a look at what else has been brought in here? Colston Lovelinth, the one, Luther Burden. I mean, these are big names, guys that had great careers, great prospects, yourself, Ozzie added to Roma Dounze, Caleb Williams last year. Do you feel the energy brewing in this building just from what they're bringing in?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I think it's hard not to. You know, as soon as you walk in, you you see things like you just mentioned, the new you know the people coming in and you know, you can tell there's something special being built for the future of this place, and it's it's exciting.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's always challenges when you're a six to eight offensive lineman, right, and you know what they are. Tell me how you bridge that gap just because you can't help your six eight.
Speaker 8: Yeah right, yeah, exactly. I mean that is one of the tougher things of being taller. It has its pros and it has its cons. So doing my best to play in a good position for one hundred percent of the game, you know, good pad level, good footing, always under control, balanced, those are all things that if I lack, you know, people are gonna be able to take advantage of that more than a guy who's who's shorter than me, just because I don't have any of that natural leverage. You know, I have to maintain that through my my playing style.
Speaker 2: So but the traits you do have, what would you say people should know about you that you'll bears fans want to know it's as pillow.
Speaker 8: Like, yeah, I mean I'm six foot eight, so that that helps, you know, minus the cons that I just mentioned, it has, it's it's pros. Being you know, you're you're a longer guy, able to keep guys off you. You know, people always talk about the armleanth, so that is just you know, a natural benefit that I was, you know, given through genetics. So thanks to my family for that one. But now, yeah, and I think the athletic standpoint too. I think, you know, I'm a well rounded player. I don't really fit one scheme or the other. I think I can do a multitude of things. So I'm excited.
Speaker 2: All right, So everybody dreams big. Clearly you've been dreaming this for a long time. Are you open about your goals or you keep those close to the vest and just let them play out? Or are you a guy with the sticky notes on the mirror of the morning. What kind of kind of goal oriented person are you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'd say I keep them close. You know, they're for me. They're not for anybody else, you know what I mean. That's what drives me. So they're ever changing, you know, as this was obviously one of them. So now that this is accomplished, you know, we move on to the next ones, and it's really exciting, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Ozie Tripilo great young man to talk to Tom and Jim rejoining us. You know, Ryan Poles really likes the fact that what he sees on tape his play personality, his individual personality, his intelligence, his dependability, as we touched on all what is supposed to be based on how they analyzed him and scouted him, and he gets a really good vibe of just how big of a man he is.
Speaker 3: Filling up a doorway.
Speaker 2: So I also joked with him Tommy afterwards that he has a permanent smile on his face. So, you know, I don't know if it was just this moment, but he's just a delightful young man in the heck of a football player.
Speaker 6: It's definitely the moment because he's talked about that a couple of times. But he does sound mature beyond his years. He's the type of guy that gives thoughtful, creditable answers that you know when you went out and picked Ozzie Trapillo, that you had a well rounded football player. Like he's said, he can do multiple things on the line of scrimmage. You're not gonna have to worry about him not being on time or not doing the things that's asked of him. He's an intelligent kid. He's going to be able to absorb all the assignments and the terminology that's required of him. So I think, probably as much as anybody in the draft, I'm really excited to see what he can do and where he can compete on the offensive line. And that's what I was talking about the rookies. Some of these guys that are playing a couple different positions, and they got to have that judgment on how they, you know, can move around different stances, different balances and stuff, how it'll affect him. So I'm looking forward to watching them work.
Speaker 2: Jim very self aware, you know, just you know even that you know a lot of people answer that hight question in different ways.
Speaker 3: He handles it straight on. I really appreciated that answer.
Speaker 5: Yeah. One, he's a tough guy. He can be a swing tackle, can play both right and left. He is well coached. I believe Doug Moron was there with Bill O'Brien. He started out as the old line coach before now he moved on, I believe the New England with Mike Vrabel. But Doug Moron knows a thing or two about old line coach. But I talked to Bill O'Brien personally about Ozzie. He's a tough football player and a good football player, and so minimum I think the Bears fan should you know if he were called into duty to play week one, he is not going to embarrass himself at all. A highly competitive, big guy who can play and offer position flexibility. So he's going to be a good football player. I really believe that.
Speaker 2: And Tommy, he's going to get a chance to battle for that starting job at left tackle right out of the gate with Braxton Jones and whoever else will compete for that position.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you definitely have a different template size than Amagaji does, but I think they both offer their own types of assets, and like Jim said, his versatility is not exclusive to the tackle position. If you find yourself needing depth that both right and left guard, it gives you more value on game day activity. I think that he's going to be an experimental piece up and down the line of scrimmage. And I keep talking about them and our Ben Johnson and his use of multiple offensive linemen that he could fit into that role as well. So I'm excited to see where he's going. I'm excited to see the competitiveness that he's going to add to every offensive line position, and you know, I think we'll kind of get a feel of what his capabilities are after a rookie mini camp.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of an interesting story when they meet the Packers because he was Jeff Hatley's number one recruit in his twenty twenty class at Boston College. Now he gets to face that defense twice a year up in Green Bay. All right, well we return, we'll discuss more about the upcoming MINICHEMP, tell you who they signed in the undrafted world as well, and tackle some other issues around the National Football League with Jim Miller and Tom There. I'm Jeff Jonihek, and this is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: In back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Ingeo Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Joy.
Speaker 2: This second of Bears Weekly has brought to you by Athletico Physical Therapy.
Speaker 3: Visit Athletic go down.
Speaker 2: Conder a question in clinic or virtual deployment that start feeling better tomorrow, Jeff Joniac, Tom There, Jim Miller, As we're breaking things down here for Bears Weekly this week, and we got the rookie mini camp getting out away officially tomorrow. Media you will get in here, so we'll start hearing from some of the rookies again. Guys like I alluded, only a ten member undrafted class, which speaks to the depth already of the roster that Ryan Poles has put together over the now four years. But a couple of names that could draw some attention to two wide receivers. I think I mentioned him last week, John Richardson out of TCU and wide receiver today Walker out of Texas A and M A couple of guys. And then Xavier Carlton. He's a transfer from Utah. He went to Cal nearly six', six so he played defensive end and defensive. Tackle jim knows, everybody so maybe he knows all about this. Guy but he ran a seventy. Three he's got thirty five inch arms in eighty five and an eighth inch. Wingspan uh, So, jimmy he's a, long long. Defender that's a guy to keep an eye.
Speaker 5: On, yeah and, well like you, said for all these guys that are getting an, opportunity you, know and you'd be shocked, at you, know, say a team like The. Rams some teams have had hot up to five undrafted free agents make their. Team and, again when you're not winning a. Lot AND i think if if you're a player that has an opportunity to choose your own place where you want to, sign to, Me chicago would be, attractive you, know and you'd want to sign because you're gonna try and put yourself in the best opportunity because you feel you can make the team because the winning hasn't been so. Good And Ben johnson's already opened up the door, about, hey depth charts. Here this will be highly, competitive so it doesn't matter if you're you, know the highest paid guy on the team or the last guy that just. Signed you feel like you're going to get a true evaluation and be judged honestly for coming in here to. Compete and you'd like to think that you would control that if you have that. Opportunity SO i would think the numbers are in your. Favor that's why guys would want to sign with a team Like chicago because they think they're going to get a legit on a, shot AND i think they, will and all those undrafted free agents they're going to have their. Reps maybe that's not as much as the other guys who were drafted or before them in this, class or other guys that have been signed via free agents due to their. Paycheck BUT i do think, this when their reps do, come they will be honestly evaluated and if they show their, wearers they will have a good opportunity to make the. TEAM i really.
Speaker 6: Believe you know it's going to Be i'm, Sorry, jim you know it's going to be cool. Too about the rookie minting. Camp they have a couple of unique body, styles and you have to look at guys that have the length at defensive, end have that length at defensive, backfield and if they can if they're able to switch those lengthy assets into really being a really good football. Player AND i, think what when we look At Ozzie, trapillo this free agent defensive end is a perfect guy to go against him when the pads are on in one on. One because you talk about length as an asset as an offensive, lineman there's always. Length there's also length as an asset as defensive lineman throughout the course of, history and so you can take and you have some instinctual get off from the line of scrimmage if you have the ability to rush with straight arms and separate yourself from any controlling offensive. LINEMAN i think that's kind of the neat thing every year in THE nfl is someone comes across the board that's always small and faster than you can catch or, big and you don't really take as measurables into account depending upon the position he's.
Speaker 2: Playing all, right one of the best. Names and we've had a major right on The. Bears we've Got major Burns now FROM lsu transfer From. Georgia, Yeah Mesh frank transfer From. Georgia but he's a, big strong safety six tow two o seven and thirty seven and a half vertical jump ran a four to five to, three and that's a position THAT i guess you can never have enough bodies either at the safety.
Speaker 3: POSITION i thought it was INTERESTING.
Speaker 2: I HEARD i read a quote from The Baltimore ravens general manager who does a great job, drafting and he he loads up on the secondary every year because he says that's the first place you get.
Speaker 3: Beat in a football.
Speaker 2: GAME i don't know if you share that same, philosophy because you can beat you can beat many. Ways but it caught my. Attention because they Drafted Malachi. Starks they course have that That Pro bowl player they had drafted a couple of years, ago and they've always drafted defensive Backs tom And.
Speaker 6: Jimmy you, know even though these guys are free, agents a lot of them still haven't had to play special teams over the last couple of years in their college programs because if they're getting an invitation to THE, nfl they still have star. Potential SO i bet you this weekend for coach High, tower the special teams, coordinator he's researching and searching for special team, talent unlike a lot of the position coaches out. There so if you have a guy that captures your eye because he's fielding punts easily in the open win, conditions or you have a guy that super fluid running downfield as a flyer on the punt return on kickoff, coverage those are the types of things that a lot of these free agents can open eyes about and then maybe make a career out of because of.
Speaker 2: It jim you were trying to beat DB's your whole. Career do you agree With Eric, Tacosta.
Speaker 5: WELL i think they're bringing an EXTRA dbs because they had the thirty first passing defense in THE. NFL i mean that. Too Zach orr took over as THEIR. Dc if you, remember they Brought Dean p's back mid year as to help out because their secondary was just so misaligned and how they were. Playing and part of the reason, too is you, know you got teams throwing the ball fifty fifty times a. Game when you go into, camp now you're you're gonna want to load up with extra receivers and extra extra defensive backs because what happens is just the sheer volume of what the passing game. Is guys are gonna pull a. Hamstring you're gonna need bodies, available which is gonna give other guys opportunities to make the team if you are able to get some extra reps or things like, that so you will get a legitimate look just with guys going, down just with the sheer volume of plays where maybe a hamstring here or a quad, There and it's unfortunate that guys get, hurt even in the, OTAs but that offers an opportunity for other guys that are signed to really come in and really fill those gaps and those. Voids when bodies start to become an, issue.
Speaker 2: All, Right so you're both the. Rookies you're both showing up for meetings, tomorrow bright and. Early you're gonna have some media, session you're gonna be on the practice, Field you're gonna be. Working then you're gonna GET nfl eyes on. You you got your peers trying to take your jobs, already the tryout, guys the workout.
Speaker 3: Guys the essentially the mindset of a walk on what would be for each of, you one or.
Speaker 2: Two things that you would work on as a rookie that you would concentrate on to get through just even this, weekend let, alone what's coming With OTA's in the, preseason so you're ready to go when the padded practices start TOM i would.
Speaker 6: Want to be mentally prepared walking out of the meeting, rooms because these coaches aren't going to install five or six. PLAYS i want to make sure that they know THAT i know their. Assignments they know THAT i can learn on the. Fly they know THAT i can learn and absorb things quickly and understand what it means specifically to me and my. Assignment and THEN i want to go out in the field and kind of feel the speed of the game and understand it's a whole new level of speed that everything you face in your back in your. Career but li like in college and liking the, pros when you come together as rookies and free, agents always, know, man that that next step is the first time a year in a meeting with all the, veterans because now that speed of the, game the physicality of the, game and everything is going to be amped up even. Higher so make sure that you can do what's required out of you in a rookie mini camp and then just set yourself up for the progression of the overall preseason OTAs in the training.
Speaker 5: Camp, Yeah i'm With. TOM i don't think you come in with the mindset is, Oh i'm just going to come in see you, Know they're going to introduce all this material And i'll just kind of go with the. FLOW i don't believe in. That that's not HOW i approached. IT i. WAS i was big on first impressions mean, everything meaning like what time, Said i'm going to come. Prepared i'm going to show them THAT i know what they're asking me to. Do i'm gonna do it. Correctly Granted i'll make my share of, mistakes But i'm going to do it full. Speed i'm going to take the talking points that they stress and really highlight those so that for the next Day i'm better prepared for the next day and have a great understanding of the really the feedback THAT i get and the awareness of what's around me and WHAT i need to do to succeed as a player and to get. Better BUT i would be, prepared like What tom, said especially on the coaching points of What i'm being asked to, do but make a good.
Speaker 2: Impression, So, JIM i have another question regarding you, know all these draft picks are, slotted so it's a relatively easy exercise to get. Signed some were, signed you, know right after the. Drafts everybody's almost signed here. Already but for the first time, ever a second round pick thirty fourth though ross, selection The iowa state wide receiver got a one hundred percent guaranteed deal as a second round.
Speaker 3: Pick it's first time. Ever is that a significant?
Speaker 5: Development, well, YEAH i think so because now other agents are going to ask for, it and is you know in that slot or the player that went before him or after, him that agent is going to ask for. That Uh so, yeah it does set a. Precedent you, know it's kind of, like you, know it's kind of like When Deshaun watson signed his contract With, cleveland all those owners grown Specifically Steve bashatti of The Baltimore, ravens because they all knew that that was an outlier. Contract they all knew, it the owners, did and it still is to this day an outlier. Contract but they don't want things to set precedent because now the other agents representing those other, players both before and after The Iowa state, player will be requesting that and where they hope that it now becomes precedent where all that will be. Guaranteed but typically it's only been the first rounders that it's been like, that and so, yeah that is an anomaly so to.
Speaker 2: Speak, Yeah Jaden, higgins so, hey great job by his agent to pull that.
Speaker 3: Off so how do you feel about?
Speaker 6: It he's gonna make more than brock Perty, Jeff, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, WELL i, MEAN i, yeah coming into the. League, Anyway bro's gonna get his deal. Done i'm fully convinced. About All, right we'll discuss quarterbacks and all things quarterbacks as a matter of fact in our next segment as we bring you More Bears weekly With Jim elleran Top. There I'm Jeff joniak here ON aespn one thousand of The Bears Radio.
Speaker 1: Network, well welcome back To Bears weekly on The Bears Ringo. Network here's your, host the voice of The, Bears Jeff, joy.
Speaker 2: And this segment Of Bears weekly is brought to you BY Igs energy With jeff And Tom Jim Miller SERIOUS XM Nfl. Radio before we went to, BREAK i wanted to talk about. Quarterbacks cbssports Dot com ranks the quarterbacks post draft now And Caleb williams in at number, sixteen but with the caveat perhaps no young quarterback better equipped for a seismic.
Speaker 3: LEAP i think we'd, agree Right, Tom.
Speaker 6: YEAH i one hundred. Percent and you, KNOW i don't think it's not Only. CALEB i think It's ben has a lot to do with. It how he's going to change the philosophical approach to where the quarterback is going to line up the different receiving and running assets he has around. Him and Then ryan bringing in a whole new host of free agent offensive linemen that are not going to have to be taught how to play in THE. Nfl they already have the, experience they under understand how to play at an all pro, level and you, know you get the next, stepping the next step up By darnell and figure out this. Left, YEAH i Think caleb has the opportunity and the ability to emerge as one of the better quarterbacks in all of THE. Nfl but it's going to take a little bit of time when you're inserting a new, system terminology and what everything means. Together, YEAH i expect.
Speaker 5: Him make a huge jump for all the reasons That tom. MENTIONED i, mean, one he's insulated with a lot of good players around. Him, two no steps are going to be missed like what happened with the last Oc Ben. Johnson he's hearing it from the horse's mouth how he wants this offense, run and it will be run the Way Ben johnson wants, it wants it. Executed and SO i Think caleb will be very coachable from that standpoint because he is going to know what is exactly is expected of. Him there's not going to be any gray, area so to. Speak SO i think the coach is going to direct him with, honest uh terms of what he needs at the quarterback position and what is expected of. Him and SO i think for For caleb that's what he's got to focus on is every day just get getting. Better he knows what is expected of, him what he's got to, do what is job, entails and there will be no stone unturned BECAUSE i THINK i mentioned this About john Shop John shuope was one of the most detailed COACHES i have ever been with been, with AND i Think Ben johnson is very detailed much Like john shupe was he coached with, him AND i personally believe WHAT i know What Ben johnson is going to ask Of Caleb. Williams and it's not a big. Ask it's not a big, ask it's a it's an attention to detail and every how SHOULD i say, this every checked box before he approaches the line of, scrimmage he better go through that checklist because that checklist is going to tell him everything he needs to.
Speaker 2: Do, ALSO Cbs sports one reason for optimism for every team and The, bears it was the hiring Of Ben. Johnson you can feel his. Imprint AND i like that explanation because you can you can feel his imprint all over the building when you're in here LIKE i am, today you could just it's it's just a different feel around. Here but we know he's a tremendous architect of an offense and as a play, Caller so that's gonna. Help and the imprint also in getting that interior offensive line settled down with those three new, Additions drafting a slot Like Luther burden at a minimum slot can play outside as, well and then you're not Drafting Colston loveland knowing you Have Cole comet without having a plan for. Both, now that's one Thing Jerry angelo always talked About tom And jim is that you, know if you're drafted and, said what's the?
Speaker 3: Plan what's the?
Speaker 2: Plan you, know we could talk about floors and ceilings all day, long but.
Speaker 3: You gotta have a.
Speaker 2: Plan so there's a, plan and these are key pieces to that. Plan as all.
Speaker 6: Of us are familiar what was developed In, detroit and you can't ignore. That and you look at the pieces that they brought, aboard the pieces they had in, place and how he used them with such. Efficiency so when you when you talk about a guy Like i'm On Rosslain, brown you have those receivers that are his body. Type when you talk about multiple tight ends In, detroit you have them here In. Chicago when you talk about a backfield that's now going to be coached By eric The enemy of the, one it might be one of the most exciting coaches As Antoine, Randall Al harrison the rest of the. Guys but when you think about how important their role is that the overall success of the how the offense. Runs i'm really excited to see How eric The enemy is interjected into this offense and how he can help these running backs grow and do everything that's required out of them and this offense a.
Speaker 2: Night so Next wednesday we'll know the. Schedule it comes out officially seven. O'clock and just going through that list of the ranked, QUARTERBACKS i don't care about, that BUT i it's but it's an interesting. Exercise you rank them like teams, whatever blah blah. Blah but it did spark some. Thoughts so, again those top ten, quarterbacks there will be nine games by The bears against those top ten. Quarterbacks they Have Jared goffin, there they Have Jordan.
Speaker 3: Love whether you agree.
Speaker 2: Or disagree that their top ten quarterbacks on any quarterback list that you may have, Individually jim And.
Speaker 3: Tom but that's that's four games right.
Speaker 2: There but this is the angle That I'm i'm going with you, guys AND i want your. Reactions so you're gonna Play Lamar jackson In. Baltimore that's the first time he's ever gonna play The bears because the game against The bears In, chicago When matt nagu was, here he was unable to, play so he never faced The. Bears and that Was Tyler hunley that played that. Game The bears lost that, game not because Of Tyler, huntley but they did lose that. Game Joe burrow In, Cincinnati Jaden daniels In, Washington Jalen hurts In, philadelphia and they Have Rock purdy is.
Speaker 3: The number ten In San.
Speaker 2: Francisco so the impact of a road game versus a home game against those quarterbacks Against bears, defenses.
Speaker 3: That's how do you analyze.
Speaker 6: That, No, no that old game is. Ease no road game is easy because of the support of the crowd can almost make your offense look dysfunction a lot of. Times but then when you think about going To Las, vegas it's going to be A Chicago bear heavy. Crowd all those other quarterbacks you mentioned are great. Quarterbacks they're a good football, Team but you, know The bears have the opportunity that they should have bet they should have Beaten washington last time they played them In, washington and the other games Are, yeah it's going to be super. Competitive you AND i were having some fun the other day talking, About, okay when they release the, schedule who do you want to see that first game against with The? Bears AND i was, SAYING i would like to see one of their most difficult home opponents week, one because that's where the most uncertainty is about they how they have you evaluated and the team coming into that type of environment that's just going to be out of. Control so whether we're talking about quarterbacks on the road or who The bears will open up with, early it's going to be a, fun you, know a couple of weeks of topics here when they do release the. Schedule but like you, Said, jeff every one of those quarterbacks aren't, good but they have a good football. Team they're not just the.
Speaker 5: Quarterback, yeah it's those are all tough quarterbacks to. Face those are good teams to. Face but there is one anomaly and That's Lamar. Jackson Lamar jackson VERSUS nfc TEAMS nfc teams don't know how to face.
Speaker 3: Him all.
Speaker 5: Right his record is literally like third in four VERSUS nfc. Teams, okay so you, know teams in division of THE Afc, north they know how to Play Lamar. Jackson steelers have beat, them, Obviously bengals have beat, Them cleveland's beat. Them but outside of their, CONFERENCE nfc teams have never seen a guy Like Lamar, jackson and that's why his record is so. Good so to, me that's the one quarterback that really sticks out that if you think you're, prepared you better over prepared because he's a different. Cat he's a different cat as a.
Speaker 6: Quarterback you, KNOW i, KNOW i, know you guys like to talk about quarterbacks and stuff because that's the you, know the position that carries a Hot but do you think A Sakwan, barkley tell you think About Derrick Henry montgomery And Jamar, Gibbs.
Speaker 5: Josh.
Speaker 6: Jacobs you, know so whatever position you want to pick out during the course of the, season you're gonna have, these you, know teams that have some of the better talent in all THE. Nfl and and that's exactly What eric the enemy is going to do here with this running back position and how to turn a position into the biggest compliment of the quarterback and the offense that you can.
Speaker 3: Do jim's not.
Speaker 2: Wrong he's twenty four and four against THE nfc and he's won his last ten in a row against THE. Nfc so we'll pick that up on the other, side talking about divisions and. Whatnot, good good fun conversation with our Guy. Jim all, right, guys take a. Break final segment coming up here On Bears weekly out OF espn one thousand of The Bears Radio network.
Speaker 7: Is Bears weekly with The voice of The bears for twenty four. Years Chefs chefs on The Bears Radio.
Speaker 2: Network bears tickets go on Sale, Wednesday may, fourteenth so mark your, calendars get ready to.
Speaker 3: Row it's going to be a fun twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five we'll get the schedule at seven O'clock central time Next. Wednesday, lastly so many things to talk, about, obviously but THE nfl never. Disappoints and a tip of the. Cap AND i Know, tom WHEN i texted, you you went. Wow BUT i got to give it to THE LA rams organization because you always talk about you know how THE nfl maybe doesn't quite think About hawaii as much anymore without The Pro bowl. There, uh but they're taking their mini camp or veteran, camp excuse.
Speaker 3: Me On june. Sixteenth they're flying their families.
Speaker 2: To maui where you are right, now and then they're going to hold some, workouts but they're going to be in the. Community tip of the cat To Kevin, demoff their, president and all in the name of those twenty twenty Three malui, wildfires WHICH i know hits your heart.
Speaker 3: Hard At, leahina.
Speaker 6: Could you go to have the safest field for AN nfl? Team you, know you could go to a scott high school here Like Lehina. Luda they have a beautiful sports turf field they just put in last year and there's a field on the other. Side so do it, safely do it. Right salute To hawaii in THE.
Speaker 3: Nfl, jim did that surprise?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 5: Yeah it? Did you? KNOW i know on the what is the main island, there didn't they tear down the? Stadium? Tom are they trying to rebuild the stadium on the main.
Speaker 6: Aisle we got. Condemned, yeah basically, yes.
Speaker 5: AND i think Hopefully, YEAH i think it's a great job by By Kevin. Demoff that you. MENTIONED i mean those wildfires were. DEVASTATING i mean absolutely, devastating As tom can attest. To AND i just think THE nfl is very sensitive to those things and they reach out and do everything they.
Speaker 2: Can all, right, boys nicely. Done we'll talk to you next. Week we'll go through the schedule as it becomes. Official that'll do it for us For Bears weekly and all our. Producers thank you for listening to everybody on the radio home of The Chicago, BEARS Espn, chicago stay, tuned blocking um down our Next good, night, everybody