Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network Trot Tiger's podcast. I'm Karen Steckley with me as always as a man who likely enjoyed a few local cold brews this morning. He is Cody Stavenhagen. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Went with a hot Americano But but yeah, doing all right. Good coffee town here in Seattle.
Speaker 1: Good coffee town. And yeah, and and good baseball being played by the Tigers again. So the trade deadline comes, we speculate about what it's, what does it mean in the future, and all these things, and all the Tigers just do is keep on hitting the ball, keep on scoring runs, and keep on winning games of climbing and standing. So that's the diconomy that is just so appropriate for this team and this season that like, like you know, the sky is falling? Did they do enough? Blah blah blah? Was this the wrong decision? Should they have done this earlier?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 1: Mine is they continue to play good baseball. So we'll talk a little bit about the game that happened. Recording this early in the morning Eastern time, after the Tigers with a eight nothing win over the Seattle Mariners. Well, what's the vibes Cody, you are there. I'm sure there's some background noise that's being picked up on the mic, but and that's okay. You're in the press box. What is the vibes of the team right now? After having you know, cut their starting pitching and then like people in Limbo, you got Jack Flaherty being like, you know, the Will Smith Fresh Prince mean, like, what are the vibes of the clubhouse right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I wrote this, you know, my story for the Athletic It's been almost difficult to describe. It's not quite been solemn or dejected or it's not been certainly not been happy. It's just been different. That's the word I sett alone. It's just different. There are some big personalities, important characters sucked out of that room, not just Trek Schoubel and Casey Myz, but still going back to Jake Rogers, even going back to Jami Jones. Some guys who are really part of the fabric of this team aren't in there anymore. And you have a lot of new faces Eduardo Valencia, Max Clark, like you know, all these other guys and the complexion of this team has just materially changed over the past week a week plus, and so I'm not sure anyone quite knows how to act or how to respond. I think it's been a mix of emotions. It's obviously tough losing guys like that Trek and Casey and Jake and others who were so close to so many guys in that clubhouse. But Spencer Toorgelsen does something interesting. A couple of days ago, we've talked a lot about like the leadership, who are the leaders? Is there a lack of leadership? Thorgelsen said, you know, there's not really one ring leader. It's leadership by committee, anythings that can help the team in a time like this, And I'd never really thought of it from that perspective. Is leadership committee by committee a real thing? Or is that like an oxymoron? I'm not sure, but in a time like this, yeah, it's like, well, I don't know, there never really was other than maybe Scooble, that one central guy who ran everything. And so now the leadership complexion changes, the responsibilities certainly shift a little more on the way away from the field, maybe that falls more on Tourgulsen Rightley Green on the field. Maybe that falls more on Troy Melton. Clearly, despite all the emotions of the past few days, they're doing okay because they've won four straight. They've scored eight plus runs in six straight games here in this little sample, they're playing some of their best baseball of the entire season. They're one and a half game out of a playoff spot, which is kind of ridiculous to say out loud given what we've gone through here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I would agree in a general sense that leadership by committee is largely bs if you made me, like pick one or the other, Like that's just kind of how I feel. Yeah, but that doesn't mean that it never exists, and that doesn't mean that it can't, like it can't just kind of be more of a reflection of the way that Like, if you were to pick a baseball team that would have leadership by committee, quote unquote, it would probably be a team that on any given day is going to use the entire bench like AJ likes to do, right, It would probably be a team that's gonna be so matchup dependent that every single arm available that day, like actually has to be available that day because you just never know what could what what AJ is gonna opt to do right. So like if rose colored glasses perhaps, But what do you want me to say when they, like you said, when they've scored six straight games with eight plus runs, you know what I mean? Like that like something the formula and the ingredients are obviously meshing well. And again you just kind of look at the box score. You know, you have Torres hits a home run. You know, Riley Green hits a home run. You have contribution still from uh from McKinstry, a guy that you know, I can't say I've been elated by his play this season, like like Cole Keith has been hot. So like that is the committee? Like this is the committee tags? Did we just come up with the next one? Cody?
Speaker 3: Are they the committee?
Speaker 1: Are they? Are they the committee tags? Because that might be that might be the case, and that might be how they you know, kind of scratch and cloth pun their way into the playoffs. And then if we were to go with like a star of what we saw on Tuesday night, it's it's it's obviously Troy Melton. And so like I I don't know if people are gonna believe me, but I had I was like, Okay, I'm gonna do the Colin Cowhert thing like Trek Schouoble, We're good, you know. Uh, And then clark is King on Twitter put it out there, so technically he's got it first. I'll I'll give him credit, but I promise you I wrote it down. I was gonna do that thing. It's like Derek Scooble, We're good, we got Troy Melton, you know what I mean? And and and that's a joke, especially given what the origin of the meme meme is. But I don't know what else to say about Troy Melton, neither Cody because seven ennis today, three hits, zero runs. This guy is ace material. That's really how he's pitched kind of his whole major league career. Like like, am I exaggerating here? Like am I exaggerating to say that he has pitched?
Speaker 3: Is like what two point two or something like that. I'm looking kier and I'm getting scared by what Troy Melton is doing. So it's kind of like it's not sneaking up on me or you, like we've been watching it and talking about it. But at the same time, it's like, wait, he's having a historic start to his major league career, and I don't think this is getting as much do. I mean, I remember in twenty three when Schooble returned from his flexor tendon surgery and it's just lights out. You know, someone at the Athletic I think they were playing like the I don't know if it's the Phillies or the Guardian. Somebody. Someone sent me a message like, oh, this team is making Trek Scuball look like Steve Carlton, and he's like kind of making fun of like the other team for sucking. And I was like, well, I'm not trying to say Steve Carlton, but this guy's kind of really good. Maybe you should start paying attention. And that's where we're at with Troy Melton, who, from what I can tell's a game like zero National pub and yet has just been the dude again. This is since Troy Melton got off the AL this season twelve. This was before Tuesday Night's game. His first eleven starts one point seven five ERA. That's now down to I think one point five to eight. The only pitcher in baseball, starting pitcher minimum fifty innings who has been better is Jacob Mizerowski, who is literally having a historic season now. It is interesting if you look at this list for your why on YouTube, Melton has one of the lowest wars of these top ten pitchers here. He's kind of underperformed or overperforming his FIP his expected era. It's because the strikeout numbers still aren't great. The eight K per nine range, even the home run ball is higher than all these other guys on this list, so that's something to like watch. But we've seen it. Man. He has a six pitch arsenal. He has multiple weapons to go to. It's really been the cutter a lot, but tonight it was more the splitter. It seems like Mariners hair has almost tried to shy away from that cutter a little bit. He mixed in the splitter really well. He has so many different ways to attack guys, and I think that's part of why he's able to succeed even if the strikeout numbers aren't through the roof, and we've talked about that some. I think his stuff is good enough. He has the capability to start getting more punch outs, and we've seen a couple outings where he has had a little bit more swing and miss. Still getting better. Still figuring things out. This guy's really good. And right now he is pitching like an Acy's pitching better believe it or not, than Trek Scoople was seven seven or more scoreless outings. He already has three in his Tiger's career. Casey May is finished with three, Matthew Boyd finished with three. He's already matched what those guys accomplished basically in terms of peak dominance as Detroit Tigers, which is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you what I love about him is that, like I know I've said this before, but I love his demeanor. I love like just like how nothing seems to get to him. Even in the seventh inning, you know, he's one out away from getting through it. And he gives up the single to cal Riley there and you know, Fedder just wants to make sure, like, hey, everything's good, goes out to the mound and I don't know if anybody caught it, but he's like laughing with Dylan Dingler. Melton is like right before Feedder gets you know, potentially into proximity and then and then he gets like really serious and then you know, takes coaching the points or you know whatever, blah, blah blah, and then he and then he gets in and then he catches the line out to end his uh end his outing right, so like like it's just it's perfect. It's like the way that he operates. I love and so like, if you're looking for reasons to get hyped and excited, it's this guy Kieren.
Speaker 3: How about after that fourth inning, he's in a little gym, two runners on base, Boom punch out to out, Boom punch out of cal Raley, and what do we get. We get a little fist bump, a little a little yell, a little light version of the trek schoogle signature.
Speaker 1: Roar.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really fitting. Maybe a little passing in the torch. You start doing more of that, you can start captivating some audiences, maybe getting a little more of the national tension that it's certainly going to be coming his way soon enough. If he continues to pitch like.
Speaker 1: This, like I said, we're good, and we are going to get to a quick break and then afterward we're gonna we're gonna just talk about this offense is just how historic this offensive output is. But first a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: My Dom Bella would do anything for a treat, and I want to give her a treat and that will take care of her long term.
Speaker 5: And a quick message from today's sponsor, the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. If you're frantically looking for what to do with your pup when they have an issue, the program offers customizable accident and illness plans, making it easier to get your pet the care they need. When you enroll in an ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plan, you could get a twenty five dollars Amazon gift card. It's a little treat for you while you're doing something great for your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. Eligibility restrictions apply. Visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash Amazon terms for more info. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American and Surance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here, so I'm sure you guys saw the graphic the Tigers have scored six and more run or, assuming two main numbers, eight or more runs in six consecutive games, the first time they've done that since early July of nineteen twenty seven. So it's crazy. I went, yeah, it was a great year. I went and looked up the lineup. That was funny enough. So this happens in the midst of you know, Derek Schooble, who knows what his projection is long term in terms of what his legacy will be. But obviously a Hall of Fame stretch is going in here. Ty Cobb maybe the greatest Tiger of all time. This was his first year off the Tigers. You know, he played one year with the Philadelphia Athletics. So here's the lineup Cody for the nineteen twenty seven Tigers. That was the last time this team had eight runs in six consecutive games or more. Jack Warner, Charlie Garrion, him Heeny Manush, Bob Father Gill, Harry Hollman, Johnny Noon, Jackie Tavor, Johnny Bassar, Larry Woodhall, and Earl Whitehall. And there's a obviously Pitcher's still bad personal friends, yes, yeah, friends of the podcast. Actually yeah, yeah, a lot of a lot of pinch hitters, obviously because there was no DH back then. But that's two Hall of famers. The main point is that's two Hall of famers in the lineup there, Cody and two Hall of famers that did it a lot with the bat too, you know, not just not just with the gloves. So that's a little perspective that we have here. And what's funny is like if you're just like looking for confirmation bias as to why to not to give up like this is another example is like his story stretch of offense, like literally a historic stretch of offense from this team when every game is crucial. Now, again, that was when only one team in nineteen twenty seven obviously goes to the World Series. There's a lot more and that was earlier in the year. Now, like the pressure has been on for a long time. I think that's actually one of the more impressive things about this, Cody, is that this isn't June fourth through ninth or whatever, right when they just got hot. You see what I'm saying, Like this is when like they've been having to kind of play playoff baseball for a couple months now and then you throw in the emotions of the trade deadline. That's to me as impressive as getting the ball out like in the thick Seattle air, you know, right after coming off the Sacramento Triple A Stateum, you see what I'm saying, Like this is like a mental and like a four to two test for this team that they have passed with flying covers colors that they're able to do this.
Speaker 3: Dan Dickerson set it on the radio, I think a fifty three game stretch where they've been averaging close to five and a half runs a game. I haven't got the fact check that because it almost seems unbelievable, but they've put up some twelve thirteen spots, so maybe it's maybe it's true. I assume it's true. If Dan said it on the radio makes you take a step back. I mean, there's still been some weak offensive nights in there, some nice everything. I mean, they really have that good of a lineup, but they've been hitting the ball. They've been hitting the ball out of the ballpark. I think more than ninety home runs in that stretch, and that's pretty impressive because you just look at this lineup on paper and it still doesn't always feel all that formidable, and yet here they are. Since that turnaround data on June first, they've been one of the best offenses in baseball and it hasn't really slowed down of it maybe slowed down there for a while, and now it's now it's back in full force. These guys are hot, which almost makes me nervous because like, okay, can you really sustain that for two more months or is there They're a dramatic fall off about to come. That's just how it seems like this game works sometime. But at credit a credit to these Tigers in a way here in this lineup, I mean, you have Valencia up here now instead of Jake Rogers, you have Max Clark up here and playing instead of I don't know, like James Outman's not playing every day anymore. In a way, you have more talent offensive talent on this roster than you did for the majority of that run. Although they're rookies, it's gonna be pretty interesting to see what's a hit.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we've done recently is we've we've focused on the you know, the trade deadline, the school boy question, because obviously that was the biggest story in the sport. So we haven't really had a chance to kind of talk about Max Clark. And you've been there the entirety from Sacramento now to Seattle of his you know, major league career up to this point, and you and obviously you follow them interviewed him, you know prior uh, take us to the Max Clark experience right now, because I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what one of the things that I always look for when a young guy comes up is not necessarily like when does he get his first hit? And you know, like you know, like like the stat part of it, although obviously that will be the most important thing. I look for comfort, Yeah, and and and does he look like he belongs? And I'll tell you when you're six for sixteen and you've got four walks, and you're and and you're playing the outfield aggressively and calmly, which I think is how is how he's played thus far, Max Clark does not look overwhelmed by being a major league baseball player. And and four games in, that's about the best compliment I think I can give somebody given the stakes, given how he's been a like a celebrity in the game for this long and the criticisms that he's taken, just from even the Tigers fan base like he he looks like he is just right in stride as a major league baseball player, and I think that's the best sign so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the things I've really come to look for in young players over the years is just are they making progress? Can you see signs of them getting better? So I go straight to the defensive side of the ball. I mean, we saw it in spring training. He did not look comfortable at all. He looked like he was in his own head, even on defense. We talked about it throughout this year. I was hearing from scouts. You know, he was built as this plus center fielder and is like the defensive instincts just aren't as good as they were billed to be or you think they would be. Well, it's just four games in the big leagues, but mex Clark has been stellar in center field and he is getting just a plus jumps and making some really difficult plays. And A. J. Hinch has talked a lot about all the work you know he did in TRIPAA on his pre pitch on getting reads and that is translating. Will it be this good for you know, one hundred and sixty two games. I'm not sure, but you can see tangible signs of growth and progress. And then you still have seen a very steady approach at the plate. He's not trying to do too much. That's one of his biggest strengths is making good swing decisions. The fact he's able to come to the major leagues and not stray from that approach, just like what Kevin McGonagall did. That's really encouraging. You know, there are other questions to answer. Can you lift the ball consistently? Can you hit for power? Can you do all this? His process has been so good throughout four games, very small, but just really impressed with, like you said, the comfort, the process, and the signs of growth, some of them subtle, some of them quite quite conspicuous, especially the defense.
Speaker 1: So yeah, to the point about the defense, he had that catch on can zone in the fourth ding today and it was kind of like a slide, half die, whatever you want to call it, but he had to come up on that ball. According to Jason Beck, you put this on Twitter, traveled one hundred and twenty one feet thirty point one feet per second to get to that ball. And if you'll notice that he must have called that early because there was no one else really kind of because that was kind of like a little bit of a tweener. And you got Zach McKinstry and right field, who obviously has the ability to go chase down the ball. Zach McKinstry didn't make a real play on it. Obviously Glaber wasn't gonna get there. And that was Max Clark's ball all the way he wanted it. And that's what I mean where it's like command and calm, like he knew that that was his ball, he was gonna go get it, and then and and he has enough of juice of presence of trust that we've seen collisions this year that like things like that aren't happening on plays like that.
Speaker 3: This doesn't really chase balls over his head. Yes, that's okay. You got Max Clark out there, when you.
Speaker 1: Got Max Clark behind you, like you can get away with that a little bit more. All right, We are going to get to a quick break and then afterward get to some more exciting news regarding the Tigers and top prospects. Returning to the Majors with first award from our responsors.
Speaker 5: Hey for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. Todd, Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 1: I know you liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, Listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 5: See how K twelve Pired Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot Tom slash foul that's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f O u l K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: You know, it should be noted Cody that one of the more encouraging signs that we saw from Melton in additionally just being lights out, is that he allowed a J Hinch will only have to deploy two relievers. Now, obviously the offense played a huge part in that, you know, with with the late with the late surge there too. I know our friend Mark Grosh likes to say on on X like, you know who's getting the last six outs, Well, most of the time, when you have an eight nothing lead, it doesn't matter all that much most of the time, most of the time, most of the time. We had a recent example of that not necessarily being the case, but most of the time. And and so you know, Jake wagisback comes in there gets a shutout inding and then uh and then new addition taking Casey Mises spot y, Albert Diaz comes in and it closes it out. So that's that's the direct roster move, Diaz coming up, and he gets in the first game with with the with the Casey Mais trade. But probably more i would say, more important and definitely more exciting, is that we're gonna see Jackson Job here pretty soon. Cody, how about that? How about that?
Speaker 3: I thought he was I thought he would make another start in Triple A. Nope, he's coming up. He's gonna pitch against the Giants this weekend. And it feels like it's been a long time since we've seen Jackson Joe. I mean it has been it's been more than a year, but he's almost so much has just happened since then. The focus has been so away from him. Interesting to remember, like Jackson Joe boutings are kind of must watch just because of how electric he is, how much potential is there, and how much we're all still trying to find out, like can he put it all together? Also worth remembering he's yet to really have tangible, sustained success at the major league level. He hasn't pitched in the major leagues very much. I'm really excited to get Jackson Joe back on the mound and watch for losing Casey Miiz and losing Trek Scuogl. The Tigers before the end of the year are going to add two guys who can throw upper nineties, if not one hundred, we know Job can throw one hundred and is really fun to watch. And then River Ryan acquired in the Schooble trade, again coming back from a hamstring injury. I think there's hope he can start in the major leagues by or pitch in the major leagues by September, if not, maybe a little bit sooner. And he has a pretty similar arsenal of just elite, nasty premium stuff. Both these guys coming off injuries, but both these guys pretty tantalizing to watch. Job here maybe a little sooner than we would have first expected. He is coming off TJ. Let's remember, very few guys come straight off Tommy John surgery and are at their peak. I mean you can even go look at his rehab starts. He didn't quite breeze through even high a the way Trek Scoople did when when Trek visited the kids in West Michigan. So I think there's still a lot of refining to do with Jackson Joe. But talk to him today, you know, classic story, like learned a lot going through Tommy John about himself, about who he is away from baseball. There's a kind of the new appreciation that comes when the game gets taken away from you. So Jackson job about to be back to being he must watch start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think we were among the more vocal people being like, I think the Tigers plan is for him to be like part of this, you know, late season run. And I don't think I don't think August whatever it will be, all the days running together, tenth, eighth, ninth, whatever it will be, was kind of like the date that we had in mind. But like he obviously has checked every single box along the way, And you know, part of it's a neat thing, like kind of need Jackson job here, you know, give and given the stay of the team and the trades and all that stuff. And I'll tell you what, if he is at least promising, that's obviously gonna make schoobl in myz trades a lot easier to swallow. So really excited to see what he does. And then the other piece of this is that Drew Anderson will be slotted into the start in rotation. Obviously he's not fully stretched out, so that will be like a little bit of a process. But I'll be curious to see how he does in this role. If you want to be positive about it, maybe this is better suited for Drew Anderson. He's been up and down this year. Everybody knows this, but he was brought in with the thought in mind like this guy is or could be or ought to be used in some fashion if need be, as a starting pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and going to the bullpen was a tough adjustment for him right off the bat, and that's why you got off your really bad start to the season. He just wasn't used to it. And he has improved and then been kind of up and down. But you obviously to see the stuff is there with Drew Anderson. This has been probably the most positive podcast we've done since when. I don't know, so if I we gotta have some some edge here, aj Hinch said Jackson Job and Drew Anderson. He basically said, they're going to stretch both of them out responsibly. So I'm not expecting either of those guys to come out throw a hundred pitches. You know what that means, Karen, That means this bullpen is gonna have to eat some more innings for two fifths of the rotation going forward. That makes me a little uncomfortable. You better keep leveraging, yeah, leverage innings and not just let it. I mean might have bull going be going to the bullpen in the fifth, the sixth inning, you better keep scoring eight plus runs.
Speaker 1: Well look, recent recent trend say that that with like it's just gonna happen, Cody. So we'll see, We'll see what happens moving forward with the rest of the Seattle series. We will recap it on Thursday and have that Friday for you guys. So if you have not to, please subscribe to our YouTube page and Apple Spotify five star review. I feel so inclined. We appreciate everybody at Cody Stapenhagen, at Kieran Underscore stectly, the pod page is at Tiger Territory Underscore. So, like I said, we've made it through the trade deadline and now it's all about a playoff race. And I'll tell you what, it's a lot of fun to watch. It's a lot of fun to talk about it with you guys. So for Cody Stapenhagen, I'm Kieren Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.