Speaker 1: iHeart three d Are the Er for fall exposure.
Speaker 2: Listen with that phones.
Speaker 3: Havoctown is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 4: I do not have time to properly relate the horrors of this night, nor is there a likelihood that they will be read by friendly eyes. But I write these last words in the hope that they may, at some point in the future be of service to someone else. What I have seen this night devive, since it strains belief this town is cursed and I will not.
Speaker 1: Survive to see dawn.
Speaker 5: Instead of taking the left turn to safety, when I reached the intersection, I turned right. I wonder now how things would have ended if I'd just driven toward Maine instead of turned back towards Sylvie. Between her house and mine lay downtown, where the lights from emergency vehicles made the world seem ghostly, unreal. I couldn't run that gauntlet, so I took all the little side streets and alleys to get around it. I was in shock. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know what I was going to do after. But I knew I wanted Sylvie to ride shotgun.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Sylvie. You know what to do.
Speaker 5: Sylvie. Uh hey, I'm coming to get you. If you could just be home when I get there. There's something really messed up happened, dude. And the woman who appeared in front of my car was completely naked.
Speaker 1: I stopped stop.
Speaker 5: She was covered in that blood spread her eyes and nose and ears, all leaking dark red. Jesus, Oh my god, Oh my god. Hey, get away, get away.
Speaker 4: Jesus Jesus.
Speaker 5: She wasn't the only one out either, the police, the National Guard, the occasional gunshot ringing out, another neighbor taking a bullet, or maybe trying to take down an infected family member or former best friend. I had no way of knowing how far this thing had spread, how close I was to the end of the world. Sylvie Street was pitch black, foreboding, not a light on anywhere, Sylvie, Sylvie, it's me, let me in. God damn it, Sylvie, Please fucking.
Speaker 1: Get in here. Are you crazy?
Speaker 5: I've been calling you.
Speaker 1: Phone's dead.
Speaker 5: How long has your power been out?
Speaker 1: All evening? Had the National Guard here earlier? A guy claiming to be a medic took my temperature and asked a lot of questions about who I came in contact with. You still have power at your place?
Speaker 5: No, we can't go back there tonight.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to tell you something and you're not gonna believe me, but I need you to trust me. I'm not lying and I'm not crazy. And out with it. Jesus, Jimbo came to see me before he died. Nope, go on. When I got home from Jerry Havoc's house this evening, Jimbohorn was waiting for me.
Speaker 6: Go on.
Speaker 5: He was not dead or alive.
Speaker 1: Explain.
Speaker 5: Don't make me say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, say it.
Speaker 5: Fine. He was a vampire. I knew it.
Speaker 1: I knew it. I don't mean a gloat, but I knew it. So uh, okay, I'm sorry. What what happened to Jimbo?
Speaker 5: Oh he tried to kill me?
Speaker 1: What? Oh my god? Wait? Wait, how did you get away?
Speaker 5: I will I put a goddamn steak through his heart?
Speaker 1: Jesus, Yeah, oh my god. Oh so he's just lying on the floor at your house dead?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean, I mean I think so. Marie happened to come check on me. And told me about his escape from the hospital, how he killed a mortician.
Speaker 1: Marie, the nurse who helped your father. Yeah, ah, don't. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 5: Oh, and Ken, he's a vampire too, what the street preacher? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, the poor guy.
Speaker 5: And he told Marie I know what to do because of my family.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're supposed to to.
Speaker 5: To kill vampires.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, you're after a good start. Oh no, no, oh, honey, I'm I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to kill him.
Speaker 1: He attacked me, and I know, honey, honey, honey, No, it's okay. Come here. I'm sorry. I'm just I'm very traumatized. Yeah. Yeah, who wouldn't be.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Barbara, Barbara. We need to check on her.
Speaker 1: No, Kuran, Kurin, I hate to tell you this, but I think it might be dangerous to go outside now.
Speaker 5: And no, Jimbo left her there in the house. He said he attacked her.
Speaker 1: Well, Karin, if that's true, she may be beyond our help.
Speaker 5: Sylvie, that's no excuse not to help her.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 5: Her In, I'll drive.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're in no shape to drive. I will drive, God damnit her in.
Speaker 5: We were back on the streets, and the tension was palpable as we barreled toward Jimbo in Barb's house.
Speaker 1: Should I take Main Street or cut over to third?
Speaker 5: You think i'd stay off the main drag? The National Guard is crawling all over it must be their base camp. Smart.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, you never told me how I went with Jerry. You saw him.
Speaker 5: Earlier, right, strange he was, I don't know. He was out of sorts. He seemed to be dealing with some business stuff that didn't make him terribly happy.
Speaker 1: He was preoccupied with business during a vampire outbreak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, weird, yep.
Speaker 1: What was the inside of the house like?
Speaker 5: I mean? I felt like a museum. He has a portrait of his great great great grandmother that is clearly haunted. Oh he's squirrely, dude. Do you think he has anything to do with all this? Who's to say? Shit?
Speaker 1: Roadblock, I'll make short work at these boys trying to act like you've been infected with vampirism though. See your id, ma'am is sure a thing handsome.
Speaker 2: What's your business tonight? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm just driving to see a friend who lives down this way.
Speaker 4: Are you aware of there's a curfew.
Speaker 1: Oh I was not.
Speaker 2: Have you come in contact with anyone to any strange behavior?
Speaker 1: Always tonight? No?
Speaker 4: No, have you exhibited any signs of fatigue, fever, nausea, or bleeding from your eyes or nose or ears?
Speaker 5: Uh? You know?
Speaker 1: Can I go now?
Speaker 2: Not this way?
Speaker 4: This road is shut down.
Speaker 1: Well, our friend lives here, so.
Speaker 4: Well, ma'am, pray for her. Now, please turn around and return to your residence until curfew was lifted in the morning.
Speaker 1: Are you sure we can't just drink?
Speaker 4: Oh? My god?
Speaker 1: Are you okay?
Speaker 4: What was it? How was that?
Speaker 1: That was Bill Braydon from the hardware store? Why was that sort of a bit shooting at me after making me some of those ridiculous drinks all these years with a straight face?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Wait? Wait are you did you get hit?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 1: Could she look at my arm?
Speaker 5: Jesus, Yeah, yeah, you got grazed.
Speaker 1: The sweater is cash beer.
Speaker 5: Are you hurt? Can you drive?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah I am, Oh, I am. I'm vibrating with adrenaline.
Speaker 5: You should probably get that bandage. Toney, we should go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not going to the hospital for a grace I just.
Speaker 5: Need to to bandage it up. Okay, maybe we'll find something at Jimbo and Barbes. It's just left I know, I know. Huh oh no, oh no, Barb. The Horn house was taped off and a couple of officers were standing on his front porch smoking. As we sat in the car watching. A cart was pushed out a body in a bag.
Speaker 1: Okay, we should go.
Speaker 5: Didn't deserve this. No, either did Jim or Ken or Old Tom Stabinaw or Bill Brayden.
Speaker 1: I mean, Bill did just shoot me?
Speaker 5: What's next, Sylvie? How long until this town is completely consumed? I don't know. I have to do something. Oh wait what, I'm going back to Jerry's house?
Speaker 1: Wait wait what?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: This all started with him and no one is even casting him a second glance. What if he attacks you? I don't know, I'll I'll fight back. I'm new to this.
Speaker 1: I'm going with you.
Speaker 5: No, No, you need a wingman. It's not safe.
Speaker 1: Look around Korean nowhere is safe. I just got shot by a guy who always orders his Berman mixed with sprite. I have pepper spray. Okay, fine, okay, what's the plan?
Speaker 5: No clue?
Speaker 1: Great? Great?
Speaker 5: I love it I'm in all right, let's go get murdered at the Havoc house.
Speaker 1: Wooo yeah.
Speaker 4: I do not have time to properly relate the horrors of this night, nor is there a likelihood that they will be read by friendly eyes. But I write these last words in the hope that they may, at some point in the future be of service to someone else. What I have seen this night defive. Since it's train's belief. This town is cursed, and I will not survive to see dog.
Speaker 6: De Marius?
Speaker 1: How could you allow this?
Speaker 6: Father?
Speaker 2: Please? De Marius?
Speaker 5: No, I suppose I'll see you both in hell.
Speaker 1: H Amen.
Speaker 5: What have you done?
Speaker 1: Josiah?
Speaker 5: What have you done?
Speaker 4: He was dead already, He was your son. You couldn't look past your own madness to try to save him.
Speaker 1: What kind of monster are you?
Speaker 4: Your grandsons will now grow up without a father.
Speaker 1: You have destroyed their future with a single blow. You foolish girl. Where are you going?
Speaker 5: Come back here and face me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to end this once and for all.
Speaker 4: Josiah, Come back here and face me. Cow Ad. Josiah has gone up to him. He has the stick. He's going after hunt.
Speaker 1: He's mad. I will stop him. Okay, careful, careful, the steps are steep. I'm not dying her in my legs work fine. My shoulder is bleeding.
Speaker 5: Can't believe you were Cashmere on a vampire hunt.
Speaker 1: The breakdown of society is no excuse to look sloppy.
Speaker 5: Well, play up your injury. Okay, keep them occupied. Uh, I'll snoop.
Speaker 1: Great air type plan, nothing can go wrong.
Speaker 5: Nope, word guaranteed success. Okay, here goes nothing. Jesus, I'm sorry. We didn't mean to scare you.
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fine. I wasn't. Oh my god, you're okay, you're bleeding.
Speaker 5: It's hard to describe what happened to his face in that moment. Surprise flickered into something unreadable, a fiery intensity, before shifting back to concern, as if a mask slipped. It did not inspire confidence in our decision to come here.
Speaker 1: Quickly, Come in here, please, I wouldn't intrude, but well.
Speaker 2: It's nonsense.
Speaker 6: Please.
Speaker 2: I was just about to call you and tell you to come back up. It's pandemonium down there. I mean, have you seen It's all over the news. People have gone completely insane. Come into the kitchen. Got to have something in here to patch you up.
Speaker 5: Thank you. You were gonna call me why?
Speaker 2: You're the only person I know here in town. I figured I'd rather have you here and alive than elsewhere and dead.
Speaker 1: That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard here.
Speaker 2: Si Sylvie?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 1: That's what they call me?
Speaker 6: Ugh, I duh.
Speaker 2: I don't know how this kitchen is set up. Hobson usually deals with this sort of thing, and he went down to keep watching looters of the mill.
Speaker 5: Can I use your restroom? I'm having stomach problems.
Speaker 2: Down the hall next to the office, second door on the right.
Speaker 5: Thanks, be right back.
Speaker 1: So is there a missus jury Havoc the fourteenth?
Speaker 6: There is not?
Speaker 1: Oh, and why is that?
Speaker 5: I crept down the hall and found the bathroom, shut the door loudly enough for them to hear in the kitchen, and continued on to the next door to the dark office, not sure what I was even looking for, or even if there would be any evidence of well anything, let alone proof that this seemingly normal billionaire business tycoon was a bloodthirsty ghoul bent on my town's destruction. It did cross my mind to ask why he would come to Havoc, a town named for him to destroy it, and what I could see on his desk only supported my doubts. Spreadsheets on earnings, a mock up of the Havoc Mills project, an insane number of post it notes with all sorts of figures, phone numbers, emails. I mean of anything. This was just proving how dedicated he was to building this place. I think I was feeling something near to relief when my fingers rushed it. The ancient leather bound ledger cover, cracked from age, but patched with great care, a sign of its tremendous value to its owner. I touched it earlier in the evening, only to receive a swift rebuke. Don't Maybe it was just a precious family irelom. Maybe it was just a very old book that he treasured. But something about his earlier reaction rang an alarm bell in my mind. And as my fingers trailed over the ancient leather the book called to me A couple of loose leaves of old paper stuck out of it, as if saving a place in a novel. I reached out and very carefully flipped open to where it was bookmarked, and to the floor fluttered one of the sheets of paper. Oh shit. As I reached down to pick it up, my blood froze in my veins. On a sheet dated the tenth of October eighteen seventeen, a page dense with information, torn long ago from its original binding and written in a rushed but now familiar handwriting smeared with old ink, was an entry of Demerius Apasus journal.
Speaker 1: My time is short.
Speaker 4: Dawn is coming soon, but I do not believe that I will live long enough to see it. Whomever finds herself reading this, please get them at sitch to my children. Tell them their mother loved them, their father loved them, and to forgive the actions of their grandfather, who was.
Speaker 1: Doing what he believed needed to be done.
Speaker 4: I followed him into the night, hoping that I would be able to stop his madness before he killed another.
Speaker 1: I could not have imagined what I would find. Even in the dark.
Speaker 4: I knew the direction of the Havocafs high on the hill, and had I not, I could have located it by the firelight still flickering in its windows even at that late hour. Though I moved quickly, I did not overtake Father Josiah, but it would not have mattered as I came to the far edge of the forest, I saw him standing stalk still in silhouette against the light thrown by a large bonfire in front of the house.
Speaker 1: And before I saw her, I heard.
Speaker 6: Him bellow the nape, Missus Havoc, in the name of the Holy Father, I command you to release the boy.
Speaker 4: And then I saw her in the flicker of the firelight.
Speaker 1: Sophia Havoc, dressed in a white nightgown.
Speaker 4: A dark stain covering her breast and spreading all the way down her belly. In her arms, she held another form not much smaller than herself, a boy, limp lifeless. She seemed frozen in place for a moment, surprised to have been found in such a position. I thought it guilt for a moment before I heard it laughter deep and June, your God holds no sway here, prize, I.
Speaker 6: Say again, Missus Haabat, releish the boy.
Speaker 4: She seemed to consider this a moment before tossing the boy like a rag doole onto the fire beside her. I have never seen the man move faster than Josiah did toward the child in the fire. He dove headlong toward it, fronting as he grabbed the prone form and tossed.
Speaker 1: It aside in a blurse.
Speaker 4: Sophia Havoc was upon him. I rushed forward to health, but as I cleared the tree line, I hurt. Unholy wailed, and Sophia Habit rolled off him, clawing desperately at the wooden steake embedded below her stern, dark blood pulsing force as she graveled at it.
Speaker 6: Visit, oh Lord, we've missaging his habitation and creature and alive, and removed far away from him.
Speaker 2: All the snaars in the souths of the Devil.
Speaker 6: Let thy angels Michael, Raphael and Gabrielle dwell therein suprecifit in peace, and from all Unclean's sirens, Let thy blessing me always upon us.
Speaker 1: And then finally she was dead.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: Then with that, Josiah rushed to the boy's side, once more, hunched over the crumpled, smoldering bom. I did not hear what he whispered, but by his slumped shoulders I could tell that the boy had passed. I was frozen to my spot by the horror I witnessed, but I was jolted out of my stupor when he stood defiant and looked up at the arch house before him.
Speaker 6: Jerry Havoc, come out and face me, file devil.
Speaker 4: Before the echo of his cry dissipated, the door to the Havoc house opened and jury Havoc filled its brain. Disheveled in shirt sleeves and barefoot, he took in the bloody scene before him, his eyes landing on his wife's body beside the fire. He wailed as he rushed down and fell upon her.
Speaker 1: Josiah gave him his moment of grief. He was himself no monster.
Speaker 5: It was a great.
Speaker 4: Mistake, for when Havoc's eyes were once again raised, it was not grief that burned in them, but an intense hatred. Before Josiah could take in his position, Havoc sprang up and into him, the both of them toppling hard and landing on the ground with sickening thump. Havoc's hands were around Josiah's neck, and he howled as father struggled again him. I was compelled then to rush to his aid, he who I had cursed mere hours before.
Speaker 1: What could I do?
Speaker 4: Meek to merass demeris the sheep, to marrass the capt stop and miracles of miracles he did. His eyes found mine immediately, and his face chilled my flood. He stood slowly as Father Josiah.
Speaker 1: Gasped and flailed beneath him.
Speaker 4: Release him in the name of the Father.
Speaker 5: De merish, you, foolish girl.
Speaker 4: Run And with that Josiah veried, steak in Havoc's thigh rand mess.
Speaker 1: This time I listened.
Speaker 4: I rang blindly back through the horse back.
Speaker 1: To this house. I do not know how the scuffle ended. I do not know if I will survive this.
Speaker 4: Knife, and if I I do not know where to run to next, for how long I would need to run. Someone approaches outside. I do not know if it is Fathered Josiah or the devil himself. I suppose I will find out soon enough. Be brave, my children, and know that you come from a line of holy warriors.
Speaker 5: I wish you well. Shit and there it ended. I quickly thumbed through the large ledger itself. In it need to script tiny pages and pages dense with it, and every couple of pages a sketch of a familiar face, the one from the portrait in the living room. Sophia. Havoc lovingly drawn each signed with a date October tenth, the anna of her death at the hands of Josiah Abbys. The portraits went back one a year through the pages nineteen seventy, nineteen fifty five, eighteen ninety, eighteen eighteen, and beyond that handwriting going further all the way back to the first entry sixteen ten. I didn't have time to know if this was my proof, but it seemed pretty compelling. Oh my god, I do not know what came over me in that moment. Maybe it was something in my veins, my DNA program to fight. I knew I had to take it, and so as quietly as possible, I went over to the window, gently opened it, and dropped the ledger out onto the bushes below. I snuck back out of the dark office and into the hall, making sure to once again slam the bathroom door, before returning to the kitchen where Jeri Hathack was washing up. After patching up Sylvie, who was chattering like a nervous bird.
Speaker 1: At any rate, it never really came to fruition, so I was stuck with all of this patio furniture and.
Speaker 2: No one to sit in it. M Oh, I was worried, you've fallen in.
Speaker 5: Are we are? We all wrapped up so to speak. Oh wonderful. Thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so soon. We were just getting friendly.
Speaker 2: You're leaving with the town burning down the army taking over.
Speaker 5: Yes. I realized in the bathroom that I need to check on Sarahbeth.
Speaker 2: Sarahbeth, Oh my god, Sarabeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she must be terrified.
Speaker 2: It's pandemonium out there, ladies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's well, that's why I have to check on her. She can't always help herself.
Speaker 6: Who is she?
Speaker 5: My cousin?
Speaker 2: Your cousin, m hmm, yeah, well family first, I guess obviously I can drive you. It really is incredibly dangerous out there, as evidence by your best friend being shot on the shoulder.
Speaker 1: It's just but a flesh wound. Thanks for patching me up, Doc, I feel good as new.
Speaker 5: Thank you again. The hospital was unreachable.
Speaker 2: Well, your cousin maybe too. I wish you'd reconsider no, thank you, Karen.
Speaker 5: He touched my shoulder and I couldn't hide the sudden shudder of revulsion, and I could tell that he felt it because he let go immediately.
Speaker 2: Be safe out there.
Speaker 5: We will thank you, Jerry, of course, We walked down to the car in silence, praying that he would shut the door so that I could steal into the bushes and retrieve the journal. Come on, come on, oh, thank god, I.
Speaker 1: Guess you really are you doing?
Speaker 6: Come on?
Speaker 1: What the hell are you doing?
Speaker 6: Come on?
Speaker 5: Come on, come on?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 5: What are you?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: Does that to get in the car? I'm driving?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 5: Hold this? What is this? I think it's a diary? He keeps a diary, yes, and he's been keeping in for a long long time.
Speaker 3: Havoctown was created by me Aaron Mankey. The show was written and directed by Nicholas Takowski. This episode was edited and sound designed by Rima lk Ali, starring Jewels States as Corene Abbas, James Callis as Jerry Havoc, Felicia Day as Sylvie, Harris, Ray Wise as Josiah Abbas, Crystal Lee as Demeris, Daniel Ernesto A known as Noah Abbas, with additional voice acting from Hannah Fearman, Summer rain Menkey, Daniel Avi Sarkis, and Aaron Mankey. This season is directed by Nicholas Takoski, with assistant directors Sarah Klein and Jake Diamond, casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Our theme song was created by Chris Childs executive producers Aaron Manke, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick, with supervising producer Rima Lkali and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse Funk. Havoctown is set in the Bridgewater Audio Universe, which includes the hit fiction podcasts Bridgewater and Consumed. Learn more about both shows as well as Havoctown at grimandmild dot com, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows