Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is James Crombie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg. This is a special edition of the show with highlights from our Global Credit Forum held in New York on June third, including a fantastic group of guests and speakers hitting the biggest themes of the day, from distressed debt and private markets to the multi trillion dollar AI boom. We will discuss a lot of that on this show. We hope you enjoy it and remember give us a review wherever you are listening to the Credit Edge. Christina Lee, managing director and co portfolio manager with oak Tree's Global private Debt Strategy.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, Christina?
Speaker 3: I am doing well. Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us. What stood out for me when you were talking today at our event was this kind of back to basics strategy in terms of you know, private credit.
Speaker 1: You like the middle market.
Speaker 2: I have also been saying for some time that is, you know, one of the most boring parts of the market for a good reason in this environment. To you, first of all, what does mid and market mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think middle market for us is really driven by size range, and so we think about it as kind of EBITDA anywhere between twenty five too, we're usually one hundred million. But really what dictates the middle market for US is also does that company or does that borrow have access to the probably syndicate a loan market, because once you do have access, you probably are more more of a large cap borrower.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they don't have access, they're smaller in size, Does that naturally make them more risky?
Speaker 3: I think there's an argument that, yes, they can be riskier. Right when you think about mid market versus large cap. Mid market tends to have, for example, smaller management teams, they might not have as robust IT systems, and sometimes they do have some credit risk. Right, they can have some more concentration, whether it's by region or by customer. However, I wouldn't say for just blanketing all middle market companies as more risky than large cap. But that's why in the middle market you see structural differences when it comes to leverage levels versus large cap. Typically they're significally lower leverage, and then to the credit documentation is just tighter. We're getting maintenance covenants in mid market versus a large cap you don't. So the transaction structure accounts for some of the kind of risks that you see in middle market companies.
Speaker 1: And how big are the deals that you're seeing in middle market? What's what size of a loan are we be talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, on average, I would say what we're seeing is anywhere between usually one hundred and fifty million to five hundred million is usually the financing.
Speaker 2: Package, okay. And the kind of businesses you're lending to is it software? Is it technology? Is it you know, really risky stuff that you know, we don't know if it's all going to go wrong, or is it is it something else?
Speaker 5: We love?
Speaker 3: Boring? Boring is beautiful, Boring is better. Right now, when we look at middle market companies, we want to look at because they're smaller, what is your competitive moat? One of the areas that we have found to be really attractive in this market is business services tech in truck businesses. These are technicians that go around and fix things. It doesn't get displaced by software. And also it's regional, right you need density for these tech and truck businesses. So it's okay that you're smaller, right, You don't need that nationwide scale, but you do need to be the largest within a particular region. So that's why we look at niches and say, what do we find attractive in today's market. That's a really boring concept.
Speaker 2: Right, But are they kind of monopolies in their area.
Speaker 3: Or a lot of times they are, right they because they have the density and scale within that particular region, they can also be very price competitive. For example, if you only have two customers in Minnesota, one customer in California, and one in Oregon, yeah, you might be a bit more nationwide, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're more competitive.
Speaker 2: So it's really just basic stuff that we see every day. In the old world economy doesn't look like it's going to get displaced by technology or anything like that, and they need money for what working capital, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: So a lot of times that we're looking at is either a leverage buyout or for example, we have if it's in a portfolio, looking at add ons, right, they're looking at maybe doing bulltowns in different regions to grow because it is harder for these businesses to typically scale organically because again, you want that density and.
Speaker 2: You did mention anyer business services, which a lot of people just means it's another word for software, But what exactly is that to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think business services you do have to bifurcate it because I think there's business services where there could be AI displacement. For example, around some of the white collar professions. Right, you have seen accounting, legal firms have these LBOs, and the question around is they may not necessarily get displaced by AI, but what happens to their pricing model? Right, We just don't know yet, right, and what is their terminal value going forward? And then there's business services like blue collar business services like tech and truck businesses where they are actually doing something physical that can't be displaced by technology. And so we do buyvcate business services a bit.
Speaker 2: Right oak Tree, Though it's a big global platform, you have a lot of money to deploy.
Speaker 1: How scalable is this.
Speaker 6: Kind of business?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have seen companies that are smaller, say call it twenty million dollars of ibada, really scale up to one hundred million beyond because there's a lot of add on opportunities for these businesses because there's a lot of regions that they can continue to bolt on and that provides incremental financing needs.
Speaker 2: And talk to us about the returns, because that is something that everyone is questioning in private markets. You know, why do I need to sacrifice liquidity if the returns really aren't there? And a lot of people on the liquid side is saying that, you know, they just it just isn't enough to compensate for that lack of liquidity and transparency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say from there is still a premium, But are we on the kind of low end of the premium Probably in today's market, I would say we're about one hundred and fifty basis points higher than public markets on a.
Speaker 2: Broadly syndicated loan to middle market private loan basis that sort of thing. Is there anything out there that worries you right now for the let's say the second half of this year.
Speaker 3: I think what will worry me a bit is just kind of where the pipeline is and where the deal flow is. We've had, in reality kind of two to three years of a slower pipeline. And when there's a slow pipeline and this increase needed to deployer what I call sometimes fomo, that's when you see people kind of loosen their underwriting skills right, Like for example, last year, first nine months it was very slow from a deal pipeline, and so it seemed like Q four when that pipeline picked up, everyone rushed from the sidelines and you saw looser underwriting, higher larvage, lower spreads, all the things that you don't want to see. And so that's what I'm worried about. It's been pretty slow, but if there's kind of a pop in a quarter, you do you see that frothy market conditions come back space.
Speaker 2: Christina Lee with oak Tree, thank you so much for joining us on the credit Edge.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me. Matt Brill, head of North America investment grade credit at Investco, which manages more than two trillion dollars. Matt, how are you doing doing great? Thanks thanks coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Whenever I think of investment grade credit nowadays, I hate to use the word, but I am thinking bubble. It just gets tighter and tighter the more supply we see, the more demand there is. There just seems to be this wall of cash pushing against it. And I'm worried about downgrades. I'm worried about the macro outlook. I'm worried about liquidity. I'm worried about all sorts of you know, things, fallen angels. You know, there are so many things that worry me about that picture when everybody just wants to buy more. What's your view, where do we go from here?
Speaker 5: I think you need to relax, James. There's not that much to worry about. There's plenty of good things that are still happening in the investment grade market. So overall, yes, spreads are tight. They've been tight for a number of years now, and we think that continues because the fundamentals are really good and in fact, the fundamentals you know, possibly are.
Speaker 6: Better than ever.
Speaker 5: Downgrades are low, the higher quality names continue to do very well. Earnings beats are at essentially record pace. So overall, you know, we think that spreads are tight, but they're justified. So plenty to worry about at some point, but right now is really not the time.
Speaker 1: How much tights could they go, Well.
Speaker 5: We had a year ago we said maybe they could get to somewhe around fifty five basis points, and they keep hitting this wall in the high sixties. But they're really supported by all in yields where they are, so if all in yields stay high. With treasure yields where they are, we do think that spreads can continue to grind here. If the yields were on the ten yere Tursey were actually going materially lower, that would probably be a negative. But if ye'ld stay up here and you continue to get five percent furning ten year investment grade bonds, six percent for earning thirty year investment grade bonds, I think there's a real chance you could go another five to ten tighter and we could get into those high fifties. It's it's kind of a pain trade because nobody thinks that it can happen, and so no one's really positioned for that.
Speaker 1: And you think it right that we should just look at yield, don't care about spread.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you have to look at both because at the end of the day, you could just buy a treasury and get that that yield. But would you rather have a high quality company and get five percent or the US government getting four point four percent four point three percent? You know, there's still it still does give you that incremental yield, and maybe sixty basis points isn't a lot, but it's still important to everybody and every last dollar does count, and you have to figure out what are you sacrificing my doing it? Are you sacrificing liquidity? You know, we generally don't think so that the IG market is not quite as liquid as the US Jersey market, but it's pretty darn close. They mentioned of the portfolio trade means you can trade bonds by the billions very very easily. Are you sacrificing quality? And know, most of these companies are really really high cash flow generating, you know, so at the end of the day, don't really sacrifice liquidity and you don't really sacrifice credit. So I think that incremental more yield that you're going to get it is important. So overall, yes, we do look at yields, but I think the incremental spread that you're getting is still enough to be attractive.
Speaker 2: And maybe some of these companies are actually run better than the US government. Do you think we'll get to a negative spread on any of this debt?
Speaker 5: You know, that's always been that's been the holy grail or the thought of what could that actually occur? I think you could certainly see in two to three year bonds at certain times that it could happen very very short end, just given the technicals or certain things. But overall that generally doesn't make sense. The US government could always print more money. They do have a larger balance sheet at.
Speaker 6: The end of the day that they have at their disposal.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we do believe that you need to get paid something to own corporate credit. But how much is certainly up for debate.
Speaker 2: What about the supplies, either, there is a ton of new issuance, There's a ton of net new issues that we haven't seen in a well. Golden and Sax predicts eight hundred and fifty billion in net new IG supply for this year, which is the highest we've ever seen. We're also, you know, we're getting a lot of AI related, We're getting a lot of M and A related. Does that not push the market into a balance that therefore pushes spreads out? Is there not a point which by just say that's enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the gross supply and the net supply are both large. So the gross supply is going to be probably pretty close to two trillion. The net supply, depending how you look at if it's just maturities or if it's maturities and coupons, it is going to be still elevated. It's more that it's growing. Right at the end of the day, it's definitely growing, but the cash flow is growing even faster for one. But the demand is really what we're looking at and the demand. It's a supply demand dynamic, and the supply is higher, but the demand is even greater than the supply growth. The reason for that is that all those all in yields being where they are on all in five to six percent range. So if you look at insurance companies pension plans, they're seeing that this is a tremendous opportunity to own investment grade credit. A lot of balance funds or pension plans that are overfunded, so they have if you take the present value of all their liabilities in the future, because the equity market has done so well, they actually have more money than they need for the future. So what they're doing is they're taking money off the table in the equity market and they're reallocating it to fixed income and locking in those year so locking in those present values, and we're seeing more and more of that. So that's that shift out of equities in over to fixed income. It's not at a large scale, but it's on the on the margin over and over, and that's creating a premituous amount of demand, so annuities, pension plans, insurance companies. It's a wave of demand that is more than offsetting the growth and supply.
Speaker 2: And specificly on the AI side of it, all of this news supply there is you know, a sort of a hope trade there that you know they'll get all this stuff right in terms of the data centers and the hyper scales everything else.
Speaker 1: We just don't know. It's kind of a shot in the duck. But is this risk being properly priced?
Speaker 2: Do you think so?
Speaker 1: I think the football told us.
Speaker 5: I think there's two sides of the coin. There's one is the unsecured hyperscalers, and then two is the structured vehicles that they're using. So let's start with the unsecured. You just saw a large equity raise for one of the hyper scalers this week, one of the largest raises in history, maybe the largest public rais in history, and that was to defend their balance sheet. And this is a double A company. They're going out and basically saying we're going to solidifier balance sheet. Let's go ahead and issue more equity. Companies can always do this, So I think people a lot of people forget that this is an option for butanies who saw it previously from Boeing, who saw it from Oracle. This is on the table for all these companies at all times. They generally don't like to do this, but if they feel like it's prudent and the best use of their best use of their capital and best way to defend their balance, that's a great thing for them to do. So it's not just hoping that they're going to do all the right things, but I think that there's good signs that they could do that and have done that. On the structured side of things, we really take the approach that AI could be a complete flop and you're still going to get paid. And so we're looking at ambortization on chips. Are they going to go to zero by the time our bond's mature, meaning the amborization not the value of the chips, but the amborization goes to zero, so that if the value of the chips is more than zero, you're good if you just continue to get this payment. So we're taking a very structured, prudent approach that we're just assuming that this is completely worthless at the end of the day, but our bonds are still money good And that's the way that these are structured. And I think they realize they have to do it this way because they need so much money. And this really does alleviate our fears and all your concerns earlier can go to rest when we see these structures done in the way that they are, so.
Speaker 2: The text breaths don't then need to not much from it because every deal comes a bit cheaper, the concessions are a bit wide. You know, it seems like there's a value maybe wasting, but you don't think spreads widened out on the tech side.
Speaker 5: So for a while there it seems as if it's just going to relentlessly continue to come this equity raise from Alphabet, you know. I I do think kind of gives us some faith that that maybe there's going.
Speaker 6: To be a mixed going forward.
Speaker 5: But the companies have been very proactive of really trying to tell you we're not going to issue until this quarter or the next quarter or the next year, and they're trying to lay out their plans much greater, which does give us ability to plan better on our end too, so we can use our our our dollars at a more measured pace rather than making sure we don't run out of all our all our exposure early. Our ability to add more to these in the future, we can retain that. So overall we're kind of trying to figure out, you know, what are they going to do and then they're telling us. But the key is if they then do something on the side with a special purpose vehicle that's backed by the same credit that does sort of double dip, and that can be a little bit of a challenge. But if they continue to be rolling at the pace that they are, and we're seeing AI happening at the way that it is and the earning speeds that are happening, we continued to believe that they will be able to issue this debt and have it not go materially wider.
Speaker 2: Matt Real, head of North America investment grade Credit at Invesco, thank you so much for joining us on the credit edge. We are here with any Shah, Global head of det half of markets at Morgan Sandy responsible for investment grade, leverage, finance and securitized products.
Speaker 1: How you doing, any doing great. Thank you so much for having me, James.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being here. As you know, there's a massive AI funding boom going on, something we've never seen before in capital markets, in credit it's just overwhelming the size of the complexity. Where are we now and look ahead into the second half, what more can we expect?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 1: I mean, just to give you a little bit of context around it, I would estimate that there's going to be four hundred to five hundred billion dollars of new financing issue in the credit markets to finance AI and all the cappacks around it. You know, that's going to be north of ten percent of all of the issue in in the credit markets. That's just this year.
Speaker 2: That's just this year, to give you context more than the second half, as in to what we've already had.
Speaker 1: For the full year. For the full year, I'd expected to be ten to fifteen percent of all the issues of the credit markets. Yeah, and to give you context, two years ago, this wasn't a sector. So we're going from zero to ten to fifteen percent of the market. It'll most likely be the largest industry vertical if that was an industry vertical non financial in the entire credit markets. Now, the good news is there's so much product breadth across markets, whether it's investment, great, high yield leverage loans, and then across currencies, so there's more than sufficient capacity for it. But it is a big deal, right.
Speaker 2: We are talking to investors though that say that, yes, it's being spread across markets and currencies. But ultimately, you know, we're just one global shop. We're buying all this stuff in all the markets, so we internally are going to hit some limits on you know, the issue and also on the seite. So so what kind of pushback might you see from investors.
Speaker 1: Well, the one thing I would tell you is that investors were very under indexed big tech going in.
Speaker 6: To this, right.
Speaker 1: So, yes, today, of all of the investment grade issuance, about ten percent of it has come from the hyperscalets, which a big number, but it was zero percent two years ago, right, So I think investors have a lot of catching up to do to be invested appropriately in the sector. I do think it makes a difference that we've been able to broaden out into product categories. So you know, we always thought that most of this capacity was going to come in the investment grade market. The deepest most liquid pool of capital is the US dollar investment grade bond market. It's about half of all the capital markets issuance in the credit markets, and that has played out, we'll probably see two hundred billion dollars plus of IG issuance in the US market just from the hyperscalars. But there now as you know, tapping into other currencies. You know, one of the hyper scalers has issued in all six major currencies already this year. So non dollar issuance for hyperscalers has gone from ten or fifteen percent a year ago to being about a third of their issuance this year. So that's that's helping, I think manage the capacity a great deal. The other thing is other products like the terminal and B market. So the core weave three billion dollar termal and B that we syndicated for GPU financing, that's a brand new product. That's the first time that the institutional loan market has been used to finance that asset class. And of course all this high yield data center financing, which has been a bit of a game changer in financing the ecosystem.
Speaker 2: But the size though, I mean, you know, are they going to keep hitting us with you know, twenty billion, thirty billion at a shot, or are they going to start to dial down that volume in terms of single deal size.
Speaker 1: Well, based on all of the capex pronouncements that you've heard from the large tech companies, I think the supply is going to continue and investors like that the bigger the better.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it is reflected somewhat in credit spreads in that there is a bit of divergence between the large tech companies and some of the other highly rated industrial has just given all of the supply, and so I think investors in this raid environment you're seeing more and more cash coming in, particularly into investment grade, and find it to be a very attractive opportunity to deploy. And as I said, they've been underinvested coming into this cycle. What though, if it doesn't all go as planned? You know, there is a lot of hope in this AI trade. There is a lot of faith that you know, things can be as transformative as everyone really believes. What are the risks are not happening? Well, Look, I think investors are focused on three things. They're focused on structure, They're focused on liquidity, and they're focused on relative value. Those three things matter a ton when you're investing in this ecosystem or any other industry sector. So we think about structure, you think about downside protection and making sure that ultimately there is a high quality company that's standing behind whatever the credit that's being issued. Liquidity has been a big, big driver, and that's why you've seen most of this issuance in the one forty four A market and not in the four A two market, although that has been a viable path. I think most more and more of this issue is going to issuance is going to be in products that are more liquid and offer that flexibility to it investors. And then relative value. I think at the end of the day, if you look at how some of these financings have traded in the aftermarket, you'll see that investors feel like there is convexity and what they're investing in there is upside.
Speaker 2: Do they need to pay more terms of spread? Do they need to have wider new issue concessions to clear all of the rescumen? Because we're very early in the cycle and already we're tapping every market. So you know, when one investor points out and compares the Canadian market to reaching out under the couch Christians to get you know, change, because they're so keen they need every market. I mean, we're so early on, do we not start to saturate and you know, have some kind of issues clearing and then have to move the spread up again.
Speaker 1: I think the supply has been met more than adequately with demand. In fact, demand has outstripped the supply and you can see this in how some of these new issues have traded. And so for the foreseeable future, I continue to think that spreads are going to remain tight and that there's a lot of investor enthusiasm to play the sector. Anisha, Global head of dept Catal Markets at Morgan Sandy. Thank you so much for joining us on the credit edge. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: James lot Fee Curry multi asset credit stretches at PIMCO, which manages more than two trillion dollars.
Speaker 1: How are you doing? Lot Fee doing great? How are you very well?
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for coming back on the show. So you're at the event here in New York. You just mentioned that the biggest risk is the unwind of the AI story. How imbalance the buildout is and it's not sustainable. I really want to unpat that. I wanted to tell me more about that. What God is going on and why is it such a big risk?
Speaker 8: Well, I guess there's two two areas that are would be focused on. One, as you said, the way the economic rent of the AI buildout cycle is currently accruing is very imbalanced. Basically, most of the value if you look at the equity market performances go to the semis. The relative performance of the hyper scalers, while certainly very dispersed in aggregate, you know, you don't see a lot of our performance actually relative to the indux and so that's not sustainable. In the world in which you know, the spenders are spending massive amounts of money and that are not able to monetize, it is a world that doesn't work right, and so that's one one issue. I guess the second risk is timing, because we have to remember that the buildout is happening at times zero. The adoption is going to happen later. What you don't want to happen is a remake of the late nineteen nineties where the adoption happens much later, and then in the meantime you're in a situation where you overbuilt and then you have like a classic sort of boom and bust type of Catholic cycles.
Speaker 2: Right, and given most of the high interest rates, I mean, does that put more pressure on them.
Speaker 8: To well, this capital has to remain accommodative. That's sort of the first order condition, you know, and that means that yills have to stay sufficiently low in order to accommodate the build out, and then spreads obviously have to stay at levels that allow it to Right.
Speaker 1: But does that seem like a likely scenario? Well, so far, so good, I think.
Speaker 8: You know, you have to remember that as far as the hyperscalers go, they're starting from a position of remarkable strength, you know, relative to the late nineteen nineties with telecom for example, And these are like buy and large undelovered balance sheets, and so there's plenty of debt capacity. Now, this conversation may look very different a year or two from now if we sort of revisit those metrics. But so far, I'm not too worried about lack of debt capacity among you know, the large debt companies.
Speaker 2: Right, But how much do the spreads have to widen out to come, say, investors for all that instead of unknown.
Speaker 8: Way they have in relative terms. You know, if you look at the back end of spread curves, for example, you know, the excess spread in thirty year bonds relative to ten year bonds has actually widened down quite dramatically. So in relative terms, every marginal dollar that you're issuing at that thirty year part of the curve is costing you more money. So investors are definitely paying attention. They're not doing the same thing for the broad and non financial universe, where actually curves have been flattening, So there's some adjustment.
Speaker 5: I mean, every time.
Speaker 8: You add more supply into the market, the clearing mechan is is generally via prices or wider spreads.
Speaker 1: In this yes, but there is just so much and every deal gets massively over subscribed. It just seems like, you know, almost indiscriminate buying this sort of fomo there, you know, missing out on this on all of these trades, even though they seem to become cheaper every time.
Speaker 2: But if you're flagging, the unwind is a big risk, and spreads just you know, remain relatively tight. They did sort of widen us a little bit, but they're still pretty tight. Are we going to get hit with a big correction at some point that's going to burn investors?
Speaker 8: Well, now, what really loads when these things come? But I tend to think that, you know, most corrections tend to kind of carry a little bit of a macro flavor, you know, into them at the moment. I would say, you know, obviously there's a lot of literature on the K shaped economy and the haves and the have nots, etcetera. But to me, the biggest risk at the moment is is still that the current sort of situation in the Middle East morse into a full blown supply shock. You know, you need resolution basically, you need you need, you need to get clarity and and and the longer we wait, I think the more problematic that becomes.
Speaker 2: Eventually, you you had mentioned software when you paint on the panel's still a problem. You know, definitely there are issues there. But I'm interested in you if you have you know, does it spill over, does it you know, take down BDCs or clos, does it rip through credit markets, more globy or is there anything else that might cause some contagion.
Speaker 8: Look, I've been so that would be sort of a remake of the Energy Playbook and high yel back in fourteen fifteen or so far. Actually, it's been a very pleasant surprise. You're not seeing any sign of the contingent to the product market. I mean, if you look at the performance of the broadly syndicated law market x software versus software market has done a pretty good job kind of isolating that. That left tail a little bit for the software sector specifically. To me, this is almost like a textbook example of the difference between uncertainty and risk. You know, risk is when you know the distribution of outcomes and can kind of make a call. You can say, Okay, I'm I think the asymmetry is positive. In this case, we don't really know how the distribution of outcomes look like, and so it's uncertainty and I think until you get to a place where you're comfortable as signing it traumal value of those businesses. Unfortunately, I think that it's very likely that the sector will remain stuck in a.
Speaker 2: Lot of the careery With Pimco, thank you so much for joining us on the credit Edge.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Jody Lewis senior credit analysts covering travel, restaurants and gaming for Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Jody.
Speaker 9: I'm doing great, James, excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming back on the Credit Edge. So talk to me about the consumer. I'm hearing all these mixed stories. But our latest guest on the Credit Edge tells us that now they're into negative spending.
Speaker 1: What do you make of that?
Speaker 9: And is that real negative spending? Is definitely a bold statement. I would say that the issue we're seeing right now is that the lower income consumer is definitely trying to keep up with the joneses. The higher income consumer is still very much spending. We're seeing that in our travel survey data which came out just a few weeks ago, that they are in fact spending and they are very much increasing their spend to match the inflation increase. But the lower income consumer definitely a little bit more concerned and they're reacting such. They're trading down, they're looking at ways to still go and do, but maybe not as well as they've done in the past because they are filling the pull.
Speaker 2: So it's just the lower income consumer that's suffering, right, And that's what we're talking about here. Or is there a deeper because you know, I talk to people that are not in my classic bucket for low income, who are suffering through inflation and through you know, higher fuel costs, through everything just being more expensive, they're going to spend less on discretionary items. So how much how broad is this kind of consumer pressure?
Speaker 9: So I think, James, the key is the amount of time that we're in this state. If we're paying over four dollars a pump into the end of this year, people will be adjusting the way that they're spending. People are already adjusting the way that they're buying basic goods, but we're not necessarily seeing them holistically pull back on experiences because they still do amazingly. Remember the pandemic, They see war, they see all these sort of components that remind them that they could be dead tomorrow. And so thinking of abola, thinking of hantavirus as the most recent scares that we're still dealing with, somewhat people are saying, Okay, I know that this could all end, and so at least for twenty twenty six, as long as I'm able to afford it, I will. But something that we added in our travel survey this year, which we were excited about is asking people how they're paying for their spending on travel, and we have a combination. If it's fifty three percent of people are paying with credit cards and another ten percent is paying with my now pay later, So you talk about a credit perspective, that's what's going on people's balance sheets. Never mind the fact that twenty five percent are dipping into loyalty points, ten percent are using tax credits, and then you have, of course personal savings that's about forty percent. So people are using all parts of their balance sheet to pay for this.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty grim statement. They do it now.
Speaker 2: Otherwise you know you won't be able to do it because you'll be dead. But what kind of experience they are they are they paying for? I mean, you know, travel on an aeroplane to another country has become a lot more expensive. But are they just staying at home? Are they going to theme parks?
Speaker 1: What are they doing?
Speaker 9: Theme parks are not necessarily catching the wave of the consumer spending unfortunately at the moment, well we are seeing those people are looking. They want to do beach vacations, they want to do national parks. I think that's marrying with USA two fifty as well as the FIFA World Cup. US consumers however, are looking to say a little bit more domestic, so they have paired back their international travel, and I think that's a function of the fact that airline travel is not as convenient and it's more expensive. We already had a few discount airlines drop out of the ecosystem. We have a few more where there's merger talks, and I think that this discussion then just feeds into this fear around air travel and promotes the idea of people should just travel locally to the Jersey shore.
Speaker 2: As I like to joke, well, go on a cruise, you love cruises, Tell me about cruises.
Speaker 1: How the cruise line's doing in all this.
Speaker 9: Yes, amazingly. For as much as we're seeing people pull back on Caribbean, on Mexico, on all the sort of key areas Italy that we see usually that dictate cruise travel, at the same time we're seeing that people are still very much bending on cruises. That the cruise companies are talking about advanced booking rates being their highest levels that they've ever been, that they're already seeing bookings into next year. Very much so, we have Royal Caribbean rolling out on their river cruise, and that's something that you sort of wonder how they're going to do. And from my understanding, the Celebrity River Cruise is doing very well from a bookings perspective, and they haven't even really gone to shore yet. So I think the key here is that for as much as you kind of look for these warning signs, as much as you're kind of worried, at the same time, the data is indicating that for now we're okay, and I think that that will continue through the remainder of twenty six because so many people, especially for cruises, pay in advance, don't want to back out.
Speaker 2: They do have a little debt as well. Is that an opportunity for credit investors who are really hungry for yield right now they're looking for opportunities, but is there an opportunity to buy into some of that stuff?
Speaker 9: Yes, and no, James, because we so have a few names that are what you would call rising stars. So Royal Caribbean already got upgraded to investment grade, so that price appreciation that you would get from a credit perspective is not there so much. Right They're solidly investment grade. Carnival just got upgraded again by Moodies, and they aren't yet fully investment grade, so there is a component of that where if and when they got upgraded by either Moodies or SMP so that they're index eligible to investment grade, you'll see an uplift just by the fact that there are investors who normally can't buy their bonds that all of a sudden can And so I think we are going to see that. Whether it's this year or next year, I think is dependent on the overall economy and dependent on how well they do with managing the additional costs related to energy, because that will of course affect their margins, which will then and delay deleveraging a little bit.
Speaker 1: Jody Lewie with Blueberg Intelligence, thank you so much for Johnny's on the credit.
Speaker 2: Edge now Way Global head of the leveraged Finance team at bark Is, how you're doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's very good.
Speaker 1: Thank you, James, so good to see you. It's such an exciting time for credit.
Speaker 2: We have heard all sorts of things today at the event about the risky end of credit, the leverage side of credit.
Speaker 1: You know, there is a lot of worry about distress. There's a lot of worry about default.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of worry about just all the risks that's building up, and I'm just wondering, you know, how do you see it? Are we heading into a tougher second half because we're getting more supply and maybe people on the demand side. It's sort of thinking again about some of the triple c ras, some of the really you know, very challenged credits out there.
Speaker 1: But how are you seeing it? What's the what's the trend for the second half?
Speaker 10: I think second half will be busy. From a primary supply perspective. We are seeing M and A pipelines building up, so we are excited because the first half have been slow. And then you heard some of the panelists talking about deployment being slow, maybe deliberately so because the bar for deployment has been high, But ultimately on the BSL side, the technicals are strong. So our investors want to see new paper supplies, new investment opportunities, or anything LBOs take private carve out I think will be well received and look from our perspective as a bank, when they come to on the right right, So you're question around how do we feel about the market. I guess two aspect. One is from our own underwriting perspective. I think we are very conscious about some of the macro uncertainties that is still very much present, and I don't think any of those things will evaporate, and it comes soon. So when it comes to underwriting the right credit, pick up the right client that we want to bank, I think our focus will be high. But on the in terms of the distribution into the market, actually acknowledging the type of product people want to see, I think the Interestingly, you know at the moment that the spread is closer to autumn tight, and if anything, both from leverage loans and the bond market US and Europe, if you look at the spread, it's pretty much at or in the in the sense of the European higher bond, actually tighter than at the start of the ye around war. So it's very clear that the market really want to move past the current conflict.
Speaker 1: It's great for the issue, though, but what about the investor, because they're not really getting much compensation for macro arias, for downgrade, for all the other stuff that you think you get more spread for in this environment.
Speaker 10: So interestingly, we had our thirtieth year Higher conference in Austin, Texas where we had a record turnout both issuers, investor and private equities. And I have to say the sentiment, if I can characterize it, probably was one of the most optimistic and the level of engagement and energy levels were very, very high. So I totally agree with you. You know, when you look at the spread and everything else from an index perspective, everything's tight. But when you look at the underlying credit a lot of the issues that we focus on there, current tradings are strong. We're not seeing any slowdowns or softness. So I do think, notwithstanding the headline news, but when you look at the micro level individual issuers, there is a reason why people feel optimistic.
Speaker 2: And on the invest side again they are they just looking at all in yield and thinking that's high.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, giving the rates environment, are they more key on floating paper than fixed.
Speaker 10: I mean, just pick up your second part of the question. I think it depends. The bond market of the recent years have been under supplied, certainly from the LBO side, because you know, loan as a product is just far more superior when it comes to providing flexibility. So whenever there is a way to do everything loan. You know, a lot of the issuers and this is sponsor owned portfolio companies, they will do loans. So so right now, given some of the fraction since beginning of the year, you know, we've seen more supply into the bomb market. So this year the bond market actually from a volume perspective, has picked up, so more supply into the bomb market. People would like to deploy money there are just because it offers convexity, okay, and then the loan market, Look, it's slightly different type of investors. The clos. The CLO the triple A strip within the clos is still at all time time, so I think they're still making money, notwithstanding the perception of you know, our things have just been too.
Speaker 1: Tight, right. Do you see any stress doing the clos figuring the lower rated trunches given all the software concerns and other issues that are going on the macroside.
Speaker 10: Not that we're picking up. I mean, as part of the panel, we talked about are there any potential distress especially around the software as a sector around the corner. I think the panelists were in agreement in that not in the near future, especially in the BSL space. I think the issuers have done a good job when it comes to doing a andes and repricings and really pushing out maturity. So there is no almost I want to talk about. I think I want to say one or two percent of all of the software issuance that have twenty twenty seven maturity, so no near term maturity issues. Probably about just down the twenty percent twenty twenty eight. So I think it's still too early to say exactly what's going to happen and how is that actually going to impact performance?
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 2: Clos no Way, Global head of Leverage Finance team at Buck's, thank you so much for Roonis on the credit edge, Shield Hotel, head of the New York private credit practice at Mayo Brown.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, Shield, I'm doing well.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me, James.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in your view right now. She'll of covenants because they are very light. The situation in the market is, you know, technically there is a ton of demand for yield and there isn't a lot of net new supply. That obviously puts the ball in the borrowers court. They have been quite aggressive and then we've seen these lemies and there have been a lot of issues around that, and some of the invests I talked to actually say to me that they have so much cash to allocate that when they look at the documentation, they don't like it, but they have to buy. What kinds of issues are you seeing in documentation right now?
Speaker 7: I think you're right. The supply the demand dynamic is all a lot of black, right, so there's there's a lot of dollars chasing very few good deals. The documentation itself, it's tightened a little bit in terms of lum protections and things that you wouldn't normally get pre sas apocalypse sneaking into these documents, which is good, but not substantially. I think the biggest holes in these documents is even the definitions, uh, the sizing of some of the financial covenants. If there are financial covenants, they're they're cove wide.
Speaker 6: And it seems like a lot of.
Speaker 7: Private credit liners. A lot of what goes into their decision making process is sponsor reputation. You know what they currently have with that sponsor, industry and size of a deal, right, so if it's if it's a significantly sized deal with a sponsor that you have a ton of reps with and you're in a ton of credits with them, and you like the industry, you're going to rely less on the documentation for protection and rely on that relationship.
Speaker 2: So the stress on private credit generally the fear of you know, defaulse, non cruel's, bad recoveries, you know sas pocalypts, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: You think it's overblown in some I do.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 7: We're we're looking at a mature market now, and you know stress, stress is normal, it's it's actually healthy. I don't think it's it's something that is unique to private credit. I think you're you're going to see that that level of stress in in all markets, including the syndicated market, and it's just part of the credit cycle.
Speaker 2: Still that we've got this fair, we've got big redemptions, got a lot of concern around marks, around other aspects of private credit. Where are the risks for you in this market?
Speaker 7: So I think the biggest risk coming out of all of this is regulation, right. I think that as regulators start to look at the asset class with a stronger lens, that that could take away one of the advantages of the private markets in terms of being nimble and being able to act quickly.
Speaker 1: She he'll to tell head of the New York private credit practice at Mayer Brown, thank you so much for joining us on the credit edge.
Speaker 6: Thanks James.
Speaker 2: It's Johnny, head of structured credit at Third Point. She sets on the Funds Risk Committee and overseas investments in residential and commercial mortgage backed securities as well as consumer finance. You were on the show not that long ago, back by popular demand. You told us that at that time in March that quote, this is probably one of the most exciting times to be a credit investor. So I just wanted to catch us up on the last three months in which you had those exciting times. How exciting has it been since we last spoke.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me back, James.
Speaker 4: I would say probably right after we had our conversation is when the credit markets had sort of their first blip in the markets, and it wasn't force selling, but it was more of companies that needed to still issue debt in some form needing liquidity in a span of about ten days in March, so there was interesting opportunities there. I think some of the activity and credit is more brewing, and I think we'll see it probably in the back half of this year.
Speaker 2: So when we spoke, you talked about forced selling. Are you seeing that?
Speaker 4: So, I think force selling is not coming in the exact form yet. I think where you will see it is higher rates suggest that commercial real estate will have more pain because I think a lot of people were waiting for a refinancing wave. Corporate credit, you have a lot of lmes that are hitting maturity walls at the end of this year and next that will be another refinancing pressure. And I think the third is there was a lot of focus on BDC's at the beginning of the year. A lot of BDCs also have COLO exposure, and we think in the back half of the year you may see pressure to sell as it's harder to sustain dividends and.
Speaker 2: Also they're getting more redemption so they need to fund those. Is that going to be another pressure point, I.
Speaker 4: Think potentially, although I think the market has been quite resilient in private credit where there are more captive buyers out there, whether that be insurance other sorts of longer dated funds. So I think you've seen more of a rebalancing across fund portfolios out of BDC's and less for selling there. I think you can see it though potentially in Colos because they are a more liquid market, and you might see even equity start to pick in those structures, which means it doesn't have any sense in the portfolio anymore. So I think it'd probably come more from more publicly traded clos and corporate credit that's sitting in BDC as opposed to traditional private But.
Speaker 2: When you look at Colos right now, the triple A piece at least very very tight, which would suggest not a lot of stress or at least concern about it. We know about the software issue, we know that's brewing, we know that you know there are other issues potentially, but what really do you think is something.
Speaker 1: That might tip clos over? I mean, how would that actually happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think since we last spoke, software prices have actually rallied and so and you've seen two things happen. You've seen anything not software sort of tighten on a spread basis, and you've seen software rally as well. So the creation costs for a us COLO equity has become tighter, which means you're seeing less creation on that side of the market, where I think you'll see the pressure in clos is more when software starts to play out. And also you have other pressures. You have home building pressure right now because we're in a high rate and environment. You have issue on the chemical sector as well because of oil. So I think there will be other defaults within colos that cause issues. And I think the triple as are type, but they're still one of the widest triple a's out in the market. You will see it more at the double B triple B type of level potentially if there are downgrades in triple b's, because they are a big portion of insurance portfolios. So I think the force selling comes not from necessarily economic default on day one, but could be downgrades for something else that forces an uneconomic reason to sell.
Speaker 2: And at that point the cilos have to sell loans that are low quality at a steep discount, correct, at which point you might jump in on an opportunity if it makes sense. But is this a bigger issue for the market or is it? I mean the sense that we get from talking to investors on the macro level is that really all this stuff's contained, we kind of know about it. It's not going to affect us. We're just going to carry on buying as much as we can of everything else, and we'll be Okay, what do you how do you see that?
Speaker 4: So I think it's really if you're sitting at a very large alternative asset manager right now, you're hitting the buy button every day, and so most of those investors will say credit spreads are going tighter, and I think with what I said in terms of AI spending and what we've seen generally with the economy, it feels like we could see credit spreads tighter. That being said, I do think there are issues beneath the surface where there will still be for selling. And if insurance companies are buying the entire triple B stack of colos and there are a few downgrades, they can't hold that risk anymore. And it might be a parallel to what we saw in March of twenty three with the banking crisis, where CMBs got downgraded from triple B and became a force seller product. So you might see a version of that. And frankly, for a place like Third Point, we don't have to have a huge dislocation in order to make a very compelling return across our funds. If you're managing two hundred billion much harder to make that depth work, so that.
Speaker 2: Effects insurance companies and then presume me that has some kind of knock on effect. I mean, certainly in terms of sentiment. But is there a bigger full across credit markets you think?
Speaker 4: I think it's It may be still more episodic. I think the other thing that we haven't seen play out fully as what is the strain on the consumer overall? And that may cause a little bit of a risk off mode or at least a recalibration of risk assumptions. But I don't think it's a contagion type of scenario. I think you will find dislocated sectors. The COLO market also in the US is a trillion dollar so if it starts to move, it will have implications on the underlying levered loans and the liquidity availability there.
Speaker 2: And private market is also under a love of stress. You expect private credit loans to selling it discount just because people need to tie up their portfolios.
Speaker 4: Well, we've seen private credit loans traded a discount. Obviously you have public BDCs that are trading at a discount, but we've also seen private credit loans traded a discount, but I think that the again resilience for the asset class has been I think stronger than expected. Of course you're seeing headlines around redemptions broadly, but actually a lot of the paper that's transacting has been a not as much of a discount. Outside of software, where you have seen discounts that could be twenty thirty points or there.
Speaker 1: Sean Nisam with the point, Thank you so much for joining us on the credit edge.
Speaker 4: Thank you James for having me back.
Speaker 2: So I'm here with Scott Goodwin, managing partner of Diameter Capital Partners, a twenty eight billion dollar global credit alternative asset manager.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Scott, great, Thanks James for having me.
Speaker 6: It's a privilege to be here.
Speaker 1: So you invest across public and private markets, including clos, direct lending, asset based finance, and real estate credit. But you have said not that long ago that private credit portfolios are dangerously concentrated in software and other asset like businesses that may be vulnerable to AI disruption. Tell me more about that.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean, if you look at and we're just talking here about the left in direct lending market, the one point five trillion dollar market, which is about one third SASS and if you take the publicly reported portfolios from the people who run these portfolios, they'll tell you the numbers are pretty low.
Speaker 6: There's a good chart our in our.
Speaker 5: Sown presentation on this, which is on our LinkedIn page, that shows what we think the numbers are using Claude, using GPT, using Gemini, looking through each loan, and it looks like about half the loans across the private credit space on aggregate have some sort of AI risk factor their software, their business services, their IT services, their healthcare, IT insurance broker. That's not to say these are all bad loans. This is just to say, hey, you're lending it ninety eight or ninety nine cents, you're trying to get your coupon back and par you don't have the total return of an equity. Why would you ever have half your portfolio exposed to one risk factor? Crazy portfolio management and really bad risk management.
Speaker 2: Right, you've actually used the words almost criminal to describe the high concentration in a single sector. But on software, I mean, we've kind of gone through this whole panic and fear and everyone dumping them to it, sort of bouncing back a little bit, and people saying, well, hang on a minute, there is some value there. Not every software firm gets displaced by AI. So what's the trade for you? How do you play AI or how do you play software?
Speaker 6: We agree with that.
Speaker 5: We don't think all software is bad, but it's going to be a very long cycle. I think it's too early in software to necessarily know.
Speaker 6: Who the early winners and who the winners and losers are.
Speaker 5: I would much rather buy a service now or a Salesforce dot com stock that's down materially, that has a real large mode around their business, a big balance sheet they can pivot their business. Then by at night, if a software loan has gone from say par to ninety five cents, I have five points of upside. I don't know what the terminal value is of that business, and they're levered and they don't generally out of cash. I'd much rather buy the public, large public companies. So I don't think the debt in that sector is priced right relatively to the public equities. Given if you get it wrong on the debt, you're going to have very low recoveries. Public BSL recoveries in the tech sector have been between ten and thirty cents the past five years.
Speaker 1: AH the fullest sellers right now in the market, BBCs, sailors, anything else that needs to get out of these things.
Speaker 5: The force selling from the BBC's is episodic. It tends to come around their redemptions. There were force sellers six eight weeks ago. You're starting to see another round of redemptions come through. We are seeing some foreselling. I think as the banks start to tighten their terms, the foreselling so far as redemption driven. It's not driven by margin calls by bank saying you can't have x amount of SaaS in your portfolio or x amount of AI factor risk in your portfolio. I think as the banks start to tighten their terms and we're beginning to see that, you will see at an incremental level for selling. As far as clos you'd be surprised there has it. If you look at the data. We've obviously taken our SaaS exposure down materially and have since twenty twenty three when we first got worried.
Speaker 6: About the air risk to SaaS.
Speaker 5: But if you look at the public data on cels, there haven't been that many COLO managers that have really changed their SaaS exposure or really changed their AI factor risk exposure. So that tells me that either they're paralyzed and they just own the index and they don't know what to do, or they don't think it's that big of a risk, but.
Speaker 1: At some point it might become a risk sound needs to be sold.
Speaker 5: You look at sector sell offs. I'll compare this to energy in twenty fourteen. The first leg of a sell off, very high correlation. Then you start to sort winners and losers. The process that's going on right now in software, both private and public loans and the equity market is starting to sort winners and losers. I think it's kind of too early just to know, so we're treading carefully.
Speaker 6: It's somewhat obvious who the early losers are.
Speaker 5: We don't want to buy the distressed out of the early losers, but we have, you know, a lot of capitals stored up ready for the opportunity. If some of the better companies that we can have real modes start to trade it at big discounts, it sounds like.
Speaker 2: A big problem, though, you know, given the extent of it that you've mentioned, and also how many people are in clos how many people think that they are you know, pretty solid in terms of you know, they will survive it more difficult macro and rates environment. But if this was one revel, is there a bigger, more contagion impact to cross credit.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's a systemic problem because it's just not a big enough market. So lefin direct lending is a you know, a trillion five BSL is a bit bigger, you know a little bit bigger than that. SaaS is thirty percent of one market, high teens percentage of the other. If you think about the AI risk factor, it's a larger number. Do I think you start to eat into triple A clos No, but certainly the double B and Triple B tranches of the clos in those managers that aren't prudent, proactive portfolio managers could really be exposed to taking losses and we haven't seen that in a long time. And then the question is who owns the double B and triple B tranches.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would yield chasing in exactly those places, and the equity as well, so they might get get themselves into trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that is still you think contained, it's not gonna rip through.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's a systemic problem if if at some point some insurance company has too much triple B COLO with SaaS exposure, that will create a scare in the insurance space. But I would say that the bigger risk factor for for insurance longer term is in the asset backspace, where there's a much larger exposure than there is in the COLO space. And the asset backed problems so far have been contained to basically frauds and cock roaches. You haven't seen a more systemic issue there, and and and we don't see.
Speaker 6: That in the near term on the horizon either.
Speaker 1: Is it big enough problem for BDCs to take one of them down?
Speaker 5: You mean, for a BDC to effectively default and lose their I mean they're there, they will think, I think yes, is the answer that you know there are some BDCs that are trading at you knowero point six point seven of gross asset value, the more stress or distressed ones, So yeah, I think you could see that. Is is it a broad based problem? No, And we actually think you know, we were short a lot of BDC's last year that had too much SaaS and AI risk factor exposure. Now I would say we're pretty neutrably positioned. But there's gonna be opportunities when when fear is high to buy those BDCs that actually don't have this exposure but are just being thrown out.
Speaker 6: Like the baby with the bathwater.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But if you look at the panic right now to some redemptions and gates and all that stuff, which you know doesn't seem that problem, methtic thun immensely if one of them goes down. You can imagine the freak out across credit markets.
Speaker 5: But let's see, that'll be an exciting day, Diameter because we'll be sitting there looking to buy the high quality wrestler it's getting thrown out.
Speaker 1: Great stuff.
Speaker 2: Scott Goodwin with Diameter Capital Partners. Thank you so much for being on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much, James.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoy this special edition of the Credit Edge, and we hope you'll give us a review. For even more credit market analysis and insight, read all of Bloomberg Intelligence's great work on the Bloomberg terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is past of our research department, with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits plus outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market indusees, currencies, and commodities. Please do subscribe to The Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at bag pod Go, Tell your friends, or email me directly at.
Speaker 1: J crom eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Crombie. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge.