Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 2: In today's episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, we're returning once more to the subterranean world. This is, of course a recurring theme on our show. We often venture into topics concerning the deep ocean. We often venture into topics concerning the world beneath the surface, and that's where we're going here once more.
Speaker 3: The theme is we like to hide from sunlight.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's you know, it factors into the movies that we watched for Weird House Cinema, that there's so much amazing science, from the geological to the biological, and so yeah, we're always going to keep coming back to the underground. In particular, for this episode, we're going to be talking about car caverns in Arizona. We'll be talking about this particular cave and what makes it special, but we'll also be covering some related content that extends well beyond this particular cave system and even beyond our planet perhaps. So yeah, if you're outside of Arizona or you've never been to Cartooner Caverns does not matter. These topics are going to be to a certain extent universal.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about this cave system because you just recently visited there. I think not for the first time, right right.
Speaker 2: I had to look up my old ticket stubs. But I first visited Cartoner Caverns some I think fourteen years ago, and last month finally revisited it with my family, so like our kiddo had never been and I really wanted them to see it. Cartoner Caverns is an Arizona State Park, So if you find yourself in Tucson or near Tucson, or if you're up for a two plus hour drive from Phoenix, you two can visit this amazing place. I'll just warn you up on to get your tickets for the cave tours ahead of time, because this is one of those things that definitely fills up and you cannot necessarily depend on getting day off tickets when you show up. They also have some hiking trails. There's cabin camping RV slots available, so you know you can make it. You can plan your entire trip around visiting Cartoner Caverns, or you can create it as a nice little add onto whatever you happen to be doing in the Tucson area. And there's plenty of stuff to do down there. So Cartoner Caverns. And to be clear, Joe, you have not been to Cartoner Caverns.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I have ever set foot in Arizona unless I'm forgetting a layover or something.
Speaker 2: Now you've been you've been in some caves before.
Speaker 3: Though, right, Oh, yeah, yeah, I've been in I've been in plenty of caves. East Tennessee has a lot of great caves you can visit that are open to the public. I've toured some amazing caves in Slovenia. They've got some good Karst regions there with beautiful large caves. So yeah, I have been under the earth. But oh oh wait, I Oregon Caves National Monument in southwestern Oregon. That's a good one too.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome, yeah. So yeah, there's so many different amazing caves around the world, different show caves. And then I imagine a lot of you have experienced with sort of you know, backwoodsy caves like I remember one of these from when I was in junior I or high school, Like somebody had some land it had some sort of a cave on it, and went with some friends and we checked it out. So these are always amazing environments. So Cartoner Caverns is a special place for a number of reasons. I mean, obviously I have a personal attachment to it since I visited it, but also a considerable amount of effort was made to balance cave conservation with tourism. Here for a cave that had seemingly not been discovered by humans until the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 3: Okay, so like no evidence of earlier habitation.
Speaker 2: Or right right, As far as we know, zero humans had ever ventured into this system across thousands and thousands of years. So, as we've discussed here on the program before, caves have of course always fascinated humans. Our earliest ancestors found such places in the Earth, and they recognized the various beneficial and novel features of these environments. Caves could serve as a place of refuge. Sometimes resources could be found in these caves, and they also called out to us in spiritual, creative, and artistic ways. Various caves speak to this, of course, containing and preserving ancient human remains and ancient human works of art, and of course caves call to various other life forms as well, and their interest in these caves can also transform them. We've talked about examples of that as well. But as we all know, human interest can be especially destructive prehistoric caved or of course of immense cultural and historic value to us. But at the end of the day, it is graffiti. It is very ancient graffiti, and humans have sadly never really stopped scrawling and painting on the walls of caves, well past the point where it becomes culturally insightful, at least for contemporary humans. I guess you could make an argument that something that somebody scrawled on a cave in nineteen eighty see, would be of interest to someone looking back on it from three thousand and eighty se But yeah, you know, it's hard to make a case for that.
Speaker 3: Now give it a few hundred years, it becomes interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we're humans. We want to leave our mark, and we have kept making those marks, even as we've continually woken up on the whole to the idea that maybe these places are better off if we can leave less of our footprint there, you know, if there's less of that signature human touch.
Speaker 3: Well, certainly the organisms within them are better off if if we can interfere less, yeah right right.
Speaker 2: But but then also just as we'll get into like the delicate uh and in many cases living in its own way, not biological life, but but but mineral life of these caves, the different cave formations that are continuing to grow and change over time. Like this is all a system without humans interfering in it. And even if if we go there, and even if there are no well you know, biological organisms to disturb, you know, we could potentially greatly unbalance what's going on there geologically. Yeah, So more on that in a bit. You know, we we can mess up these places in any number of ways. You know, we bring our refuse into these places. We also in many cases, this is a case for so many different things. But even when we like an environment, we've had destructive things that we've done to them. We've said, well, this is great, we love this place. Let's take all this back with us. And so we've done that with caves' we've harvested what we want from their depths. Sometimes it has more of a you know, utility use, like taking away the batguano and using it for fertilizer. But then we've also done this with novel rock formations as well. I look at these stalactites and stalagmites. Let's break off a few of these and bring them back home. We're going to do something with them, and of course they take a very long time to form. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the interesting thing about that being that we often don't understand how important some of the things we take away are. So like we're removing a lot of batguano that we want to use as you know, fertilizer or you know, in whatever industry. It might seem like, well, you know, let's just poop, Like how is that useful cave? But it forms the nutrient basis of many cave ecosystems. They're based on like nitrogen and phosphorus supplied through bat guano.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they have a back wanto economy, if you will. And so it just looks like batpooped to us, but it is, Yeah, it is life to the organisms there that depend upon it. Yeah. And so we damage into rage and to grade these caves in various ways. And sometimes the other thing is that to someone who's not an expert on these things. You may think about rock formations as being oh, it's made of rock, you know it's here to stay. These these have been here for thousands of years, but in many cases they are quite fragile. They can be easily damaged, even when we're not trying to actually break something off and bring it with us. And then also in opening up a cave, creating what is sometimes called a show cave, creating a tourist attraction out of the cave, which of course is a benefit to so many of us, Like I would not I would I certainly wouldn't have wound up in carton or caverns had it not been opened up in very significant ways for human beings to access it. But if you open them up in the wrong ways, you can also drastically change an environment. For instance, if it is a wet cave a humid cave, you created huge opening there and you may lose all that vital humidity.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is a good place to mention an article I came across when I was reading about this, an article not about carchner caverns, but about a different cave system that has been opened up to the public and some of the impacts there that people might not even think about. So this is from September ninth, twenty twenty four. It's a syndicated McClatchy article by Don Sweeney with the headline dropped, Cheetoh's bag has world changing impact on Carlsbad Caverns. Rangers say, So, that's a funny statement, but the rangers are making the case that it's literally true. So in a news release from September sixth of twenty twenty four, rangers from Carlsbad Caverns announced that a visitor to the cave had left behind a piece of litter. It was a Cheeto's bag. This was at a sight within the cave called the Big Room. And this might not The whole point of this was it might not seem like a big deal to the person who leaves it. It's just one piece of trash, but the rangers emphasized that this has dire implications for the ecosystem of the cave. Here I'm going to quote from the article, and this includes some secondary quotes from the rangers release.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: Softened by the humidity of the cave, the corn based snacks formed the perfect environment for fungi and microbial life rangers said, cave crickets, mites, spiders, and flies soon organized into a temporary food web, dispersing the nutrients to the surrounding cave and formations. Rangers said molds spread higher up nearby surfaces, fruit die and stink. And then it says the rangers had to go through this cleaning process to not just pick up the litter, but there's actually sort of a decontamination you have to do to remove foreign molds from the area. And it says, quote, at the scale of a human perspective, a spilled snack bag may seem trivial, but to the life of the cave, it can be world changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's a great example. And it and the thing is it doesn't even have to be a Cheetos bag, because you can be in a cave like this, and what do you want to do when you see that rock? There is a part of you that you may know not to scrawl on it, but you at least want to touch it, right, And even that most of these caves where they're really taking taking conservation seriously, like that has to be cleaned after you've you've touched it, because otherwise it develops into this kind of like gross black spot because you have you have disrupted it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so I know this is something that I think you're going to get more into this as you go on. But but the cave cave conservationists and people have to consider a kind of balancing process because if you're going to allow people into a cave, there is no way to do it without having any impact. You can try to minimize the impact, but there is going to be an impact no matter what if people are going in and out. So it's a question of just balancing competing interests. Like you know, on one hand, you want to protect the cave as much as possible, but you might also have educational desires or you know, stuff about raising funds to help study and preserve the cave in other ways. And so yeah, there's like a competing mix of considerations there that I guess are always difficult for people who work in this area.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and I think that's one of the reasons again at Carchner caverns is such an interesting subject to look at because you see the balancing of all of these influences. But yeah, so opening up a cave can be detrimental to the delicate ecosystem there, because again, think of all the things we bring in in addition to bags of Cheetos, things like light, heat, noise, potentially drastic changes in humidity, drainage disruptions, physical damage to the caves, lin flakes of human skin. These are big ones that we'll come back to because we've talked about this before on the show. But we modern humans walk around kind of like wafting our own little at times invisible clouds of skin flakes and lint, and when we venture into a cave, we bring that cloud with us and guess what we leave that stuff behind. So you could say, well, to a large extent, well, the answer seems simple, right, let's just not go into these places. Let's just seal it off. And sometimes that is what happens, to varying degrees for different reasons. Some cave systems are either wholly or partially closed off at least to the public for a variety of concerns, and these include hazardous aspects of the cave itself, fragile ecosystems, and delicate human artifacts as well. But it just isn't always feasible, right because for starters, again, humans desire these caves. We want to study them, we want to just look at them. Some of us want the adventure and even the thrill of accessing them. We want these things, and being stubborn humans were not going to be denied them. And instead of trying to prevent human access from happening, sometimes the path to preservation and protection is finding a way to balance it all with human interest and actually using that human interest in the cave's favor. And again, I think Cartooner Caverns is an interesting case study of how all these things come together. All Right, I'm going to get into a little bit about the history of Cartoner Caverns here, and this is going to be a mix of things. Some of it is information that I learned in the guided Cartner Caverns tours also in their museum. They also depended on this excellent book, Carterner Caverns, How Two Cavers Discovered and Saved one of the Wonders of the natural World, by Neil Miller. This is it right here for you folks with visuals. This was published by the University of Arizona Press in two thousand and eight. It's it's a great book. Perhaps the definitive book on the history of this cave. There's also an older concise history on the website for Cartoner Caverns, and this was by written by one Charles R. Etherly. That one's also pretty good and goes through some of the broad strokes of the various challenges and the process that had the various processes that had to be gone through in order to reach the point where this cave was open to the public.
Speaker 3: I was reading that one and it was funny because it's by Etherly, but also talks about Ely and the third person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and he's he's suicided in this book as well. Yeah, all right, so let's let's get down to brass tacks here. Where are we in the world? Well, okay, the action here takes us to the Limestone Hills at the eastern base of the Whetstone Mountains and what is now Arizona. This is area. This area here is a semi desert grassland kind of in a to understand in a transitional zone between between the Chihuahuan Desert, which extends west and south and the Sonoran Desert, which dips more or less straight down and kind of goes to either side of the Gulf of California. This particular area has a long history of human occupation, going back at least ten thousand years, and you'll find examples of this ancient habitation in the area. So, for instance, if you do some of the trails in Cartner Kavern State Park, you'll find these bedrock mortars, and you know, they're pointed out by the signage, and these ancient places where ancient peoples made these little indentions in the rock and use them to grind down, you know, grains and whatnot. And those, you know, I found those to be particularly almost kind of like holy places to you know, to kneel beside and feel the smoothness of the rock and sort of you know, get the sense of that human history there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the interesting thing again is that despite the fact that humans have been in this area for a very long time, there's no indication that humans here ever discovered the large cave system beneath the hills. It's not impossible that they did, but there's apparently no evidence of it, and certainly no evidence of any form of continuous access. Okay, And we can compare this situation to say, the nearby colossal cave, which was used by different indigenous peoples as early as nine hundred CE. Again, people, ancient peoples like modern people's, were just enamored by these places. Now, I mentioned the hiking trails already at Kartchner Caverns, and these are quite nice. You know, you're going to go on a nice nature walk looping around the area where the cave is found. And in fact, you can literally go around the cave, because this isn't something that exists, say, beneath the welcome center at Kirchner Caverns. It is instead inside the hills behind the welcome center. So it's an interesting experience to walk a round these hills that's kind of stand like secret cathedrals, and we know what's inside of them. That ancient people's walking in these same hills, perhaps with differing flora, would have would not have known. You know, only the bats knew of it, and they kept this secret to themselves for perhaps something like forty thousand years or even longer. Wow, bats notoriously tight lift. Yeah. So fast forward to the mid nineteen sixties and seventies. I've heard this described as a golden age of Arizona Cave explorations. So you had eager spilunkers venturing out into the vast Arizona wilderness in search of new cave systems. There just was apparently a whole lot that had not been discovered yet, and so the dream was alive for particularly young daring cavers to go out and find something that it had just never been seen before.
Speaker 3: So I said this to you in a text message after you sent me a picture from the book you've been reading, which I'm sure we'll get to this particular choke point in a minute in the cave. But I feel exploratory impulses. I have those, you know, when there's like a tall thing, I want to climb up on top of it. And all that one I cannot at all identify with is the desire to squeeze through narrow openings or like crawl into tight places. Man, that is like a in fact, I almost listeners I want to hear from you, like crawling into unexplored caves, crawling into tight spaces and little narrow openings. Do you feel that impulse? What does that feel like? I would like to hear that describe, because that is a type of exploration curiosity that is more alien to me than all the others.
Speaker 2: Now, some of you might be thinking about McDonald's playland structures at this point, and like little tubes you might crawl through and think I can handle that, that's no big deal. But what these cavers are doing is an entirely different scenario. Like, I think the general caver logic is that if you can fit your head through it and then one shoulder, then you can pull the rest of yourself through it. And and so like one of the like the training scenarios that one of our our signature cavers here would do is we take a wire coat hanger at home, expand it, and then practice crawling through that that coat hanger. Like, that's the sort of space that you're training for, and it's not going to be smooth plastic, it's going to be rock. Yeah. So yeah, not for me, not for you. But there you know, there are adventurous souls out there who are like, yeah, let me get in there, let me see what's on the other side of that. Yikes. So this is the this is the caving world that our signature cavers are a part of. These are two young daring cavers that were members of a Tucson Caving Club, and they were interested in exploring the Wetstones. This is Randy Tufts and Tenan. As Miller explains in the book, this was an area long considered harsh and uninviting except empty except for deer and havelina. Most of its history in recent centuries was associated with conflict between the Apaches and the US military or outlaw violence, and the lands had also seen little in the way of mining, and so there were fewer access roads. It just wasn't an area that most people were particularly interested in. But for Tuffts and Teenan, they knew that the Whetstones had everything required for substantial caves to exist. There was limestone, there were natural faults, and there was water. So starting here with Randy Tuffs in nineteen sixty seven, he'd gone cave hunting with a couple of relatives and they discovered a sinkhole in this area and they descended down into it, and then they quickly realized, well, they were far from the only people to have accessed this particular little cave because there were the human signs, there was graffiti, there was litter, and it wasn't ancient cave paintings. It was like somebody had spray painted a skull and crossbones or something. There were beer bottles, that sort of thing. I don't know why people I've seen beer bottles and caves like this before, Like, what is it about a cave that someone's like, oh, man, I got to get in there and drink a beer.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Or maybe it's the drinking of the beer that makes them want to go in the cave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I got to drink this beer, but I got to be somewhere over God can't seen. Let's get underground. I don't know. I don't know. But at anyway, that's the kind of stuff they found and is really to be expected of a cave that's just kind of been accessed by locals and whatnot. When they were down there, they made note of a crack in a wall of rubble, but they didn't explore it and they didn't think too much about it. But then fast forward to nineteen seventy four, Tuffs discovered what seemed like another possible opening to a cave system nearby and set out to explore it with fellow cave or dary Tinan. But when they checked it out, it didn't lead anywhere. It was a dead end, so they were disappointed, but he remembered the sinkhole from years prior, and not wanting to return home without getting underground a little bit, Tufts took Tinan back to its graffiti chamber and they were looking around. But something was different this time. They felt an airflow coming through that crack that they noted before, that he'd noticed on a previous adventure there, And so they worked their way through that crack, and then five feet down they found another pair of rooms and these had not been visibly reached by humans before, so they were, you know, somewhat excited by this. And again, already we're dealing with very tight, tight spots. Miller points out that Tufts had been, you know, he'd been practicing the whole coat hanger thing for a while to be ready for this. And Tufts was a little guy, so he didn't have much trouble with squeezing thus far in this cave system. But Tinan was a bit taller, I think, a little bit a little bit thicker, so he had to struggle a bit more, had to like, you know, exhale completely in order to do some of these squeezes, but they were making do. They continued on from here, crawling through and what is supposedly an excruciating twenty foot slender tunnel, till they came to what they would call the blowhole, a great fruit sized hole that clearly led to some greater area and allowed airflow. So that's key, Like there's air flowing in and out, there's air transference, and this is a telltale sign that you know there's a larger system in play.
Speaker 3: Here, so they know they're not heading toward a dead end. They can see there's something that opens up on the other end at least, but to get there, they've got to get through this tiny aperture.
Speaker 2: Right because of course, and just want to go ahead and mention this now in case we don't mention it again. But anybody interested in caving out there, make sure you're following all of the safety requirements to do so, the you've had the training and so forth, because there are so many ways this can go wrong. There's so many ways this has gone wrong, and they include things like becoming stuck or either in a really tight tunnel or finding yourself stuck in a dead end and being unable to backtrack for a variety of reasons. So, yeah, these these can be very dangerous environments. You absolutely need to know what you're doing and follow the necessary safety precautions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you're not sure whether you know what you're doing or not, you don't exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: This is not a place for guesswork. So yeah, they'd reached the blowhole, grapefruit sized hole, and they were like, we got to get through there, but neither of them could fit. So they took turns, chiseling at it for like hours, you know, just over and over again, taking turns, until they had expanded it enough for tufts to narrowly squeeze through. He was able to get his head through, get his shoulder through, work on the rest, and now at this point they can continue you chiseling on it, but from both sides, and so after a long time they're able to get tenin to squeeze through as well. So now they've both done it. They've both crossed through into the next area. And at this point they're actually getting into areas where they can sort of stand up. It's still cramped, but it's opening up. It's very promising. They press on a bit further and they realize what they found a wet, humid, living cave system featuring multiple large rooms, extensive tunnels, and a vast array of breath taking cave formations, and all of it seemingly discovered only by bats. Like there's plenty of guano around, So bats were accessing this space. Bats were living here, but it seemed that humans had never been here before. This was the dream.
Speaker 3: Wait do you know the answer? Were the bats coming in and out the same way that tufts and tinin had been through the tin through the blowhole or was there another access point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was the access point for the bats. Wow.
Speaker 3: So we're going to talk about later. But you would have thousands of bats there roosting seasonally and they're all coming in and out through this tiny hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay. Now, one of the things about a cave system like this, especially a living cave system, is that different different apertures may open up at different points over the course of you know, vast stretches of time. Okay, all right, when we say that this cave was it was humid and warm, what do we mean, Well, it was November on the outside on the surface, but down here in the cave sixty eight degrees fahrenheit, but felt a lot warmer due to high humidity. Miller wrote, quote, the damp air smelled like the basement of a house that had been shut up since the beginning of time.
Speaker 3: I think I've read that the humidity inside Kartchner is roughly ninety nine percent. Yeah, so it's like very humid. And I've also described people going in in like, you know, sweats because I don't know, you might you might assume that a cave is going to be cold, but like nearly fainting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like it's one of the they stress when you go in because you know, they have been able to preserve that humidity and that that that that environment. But you're you know, it's like a winter day. Then you're you're arriving. You know, it's winter in the in Arizona, so you can be a bit bit cold. And they're saying, look, you need to leave some of those things in the locker. You're not going to need them in the cave. And they want to limit the amount of extra as we'll get into. You know, it's like all of our garments are lynch shedding garments, and so they're like, please don't bring a whole bunch of layers that you're going to potentially strip off in the cave or have dangling off of your body and touching things so forth. So yeah, so they they'd found it. This was the dream, and they were tempted to keep going. But these were a pair of cavers who you know, prided themselves on safety, and they had already violated a key caving safety rule by not having a third person on the team. And also no one else in the world knew they were here.
Speaker 3: This is hitting so many like horror removing that up points alid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, So the much sided rule of three in caving is always cave in groups of at least three people. Always tell three people where you're going and when you'll be out of the cave. Always have three light sources, and use three points of contact on climbs. So just hearing me say those things that does not count as a prerequisite for you to now go and cave. There are other things you need to do. But just to give you an idea of the sort of safety precautions that that experienced cavers are utilizing. Yeah, so Tustan Tin and they were like we got to get out of here. This is already you know this, you know, for a number of reasons. We got to we gotta leave. So they get out, they climb back out into the chilly November environment, they head home, but they definitely come back. And so the story from here on out, highlighted in that Ely article and discussed at length in the Miller book, is one of the struggles to preserve the cave. But here here are a couple of underlying facts to the discovery thus far that are important. So, first of all, Tufsenteenen had no official permission to explore this newly found cave on what they presume to be state lands.
Speaker 3: What they presume to be So it's going to turn out that this is privately owned.
Speaker 2: Right right, Okay, Yeah, And that of course greatly complicates things because they're going to reach the point where they're like, this is a great place. The best way to preserve it is to turn it over to the state. But which is you know, I think is not to imply that it's a simple process, even if that's all that has to happen. But when that land is owned privately, that opens up the possibility for any number of things. These people find out that they have a valuable cave system on their property, well maybe they want to sell it to the highest bidder. Maybe they don't want anybody to have access to it. You know, there's so many different ways that could go. So that's one thing. And then they also had no way of protecting their discovery at this point, no matter who ends up owning the property, like, they just have to depend on pure secrecy and stealth. And so they tried very hard to keep secrecy in place over the next four and ultimately fourteen years, refer using a lot of code names and you know, making sure that anybody that was in on the secret was brought in, you know, just to the degree that was needed. And they ended up calling this cave system at the time Xanadu. In reference to the Coleridge poem Kubla Khan from seventeen ninety seven.
Speaker 3: There was some context in which we just talked about Collarridge.
Speaker 2: What was it, probably the rhyme of the ancient marine earn. Did that come up recently? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I remember what it was A I think like Collridge's grand nephew wrote one of the accounts of Francis Xavier's Life with the Miracle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right. But I think everyone's heard at least part of Kubla Khan and remembers this part in Xanadu. Did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree where Alph the Sacred Room ran through caverns measureless to man down to a sunless sea. Not that there's a sunless sea at cartoon or caverns, but it does kind of get this idea of like treasures beneath the.
Speaker 3: Earth, Yeah, a vast hidden wonders.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So again they had to tell some people they had to bring a trusted few into the Xanadu fold, so over the many weeks ahead they would sometimes sometimes they would continue to venture out just the two of them. Other times they'd bring people they trusted in, and Miller includes some details about this, like they would leave Tucson in the morning, they'd drive out the Xanadu in a jeep tenan reading a detective novel on the steering wheel while he drove, and tough taking a nap. Yeah, it was acceptable in the seventies. They didn't have podcasts yet they bring in limited gear, just enough food to sustain themselves on what was ultimately like a short jaunt in the cave and then back out driving back to Tucson. One of the things that they mentioned that Miller mentions of the book, you know, through these interviews with folks involved, is that cavers, in general, they don't want to You don't want to bring in a lot of food because anything you bring in you got to bring out. If you go to the bathroom in the cave, you got to do something about that as well. And in general, like if you're squeezing through all these little spots, you don't really want a full belly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or I'd imagine to be having to haul a bunch of cargo with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So like they're bringing stuff like maybe a can of sardines, or they made some sort of pudding out of sweet and condensed milk that was apparently a favorite. That kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Xana Do slop Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They had a name for it, like it was like goop or something. So Miller notes that as caves go, Xana Do was over all a relatively safe cave to explore, so there were no deep pits to fall into. It was only seventy five feet below the natural entrance, and harnessing and ascending equipment was not required to get in and out. But at the same time, the initial crawlways were extremely challenging, so experienced cavers like these guys could handle it. But it was enough to have protected the cave from human and most animal access for millennia. You know, like the bats were getting in here, there's some other organisms, but like it's not like there are skunks crawling in here and so forth. Like one of the really interesting things that I discovered on the tour was that, yeah, we have these bats coming in seasonally to roost, and sometimes what happens abat dies, right, Yeah, a bat dye any kind of like small mammal dies in other environments, there's a there's a whole system that decomposes that organism and consumes it. But like they pointed out one bat, it's like, yep, this one's left over from the last root and it's just there. And then there's actually a stalagmite in Cartoner caverns where it's hard to see now, but there's a bat in it where and it was there when these guys discovered it, and It's a little harder to see now because again it's a looting cave. Water continues to drip, the rock continues to build up, but it's just it's this. The dead body of the bat is entombed there. That's amazing. Yeah. So yeah, there are other cave systems where bats roost, and there are various organisms that you may have seen in nature documentaries where the skunks will come in or some other organisms from the outside will come in to take advantage of meals to be had there, at least in a seasonal fashion. But that is not the case with this cave.
Speaker 3: I was looking at one study of the bat populations in the cave. We'll come back and talk about this in part two of the series, but about a predator that was setting up at the entrance to the cave and was picking off bats there as they came and went. But I guess no, I didn't read about any large scavenger is going in.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting that they did mention. I don't know if this was the predator in question, but they mentioned that there was a rattlesnake halfway down the sinkhole. That was just like they didn't I don't think they did anything to try and get rid of the rattlesnake. Maybe they liked that it was there. It was kind of built in security system, but like the first person down would kind of like wake up the rattlesnake, and then the second person down had to contend with the fact that there was now an awakened rattlesnake there. Oh boy, but I don't think anyone ever was bitten by it.
Speaker 3: No, it was not a rattlesnake. In the study I was reading, this was one published in nineteen ninety nine, and the authors talk about a case where a ringtail took up residents I guess near the entrance and exit that the bats were using, and was picking off bats as they went by.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so relatively safe cave to explore. But even then you had experienced cavers like tufts and teen and getting into a few scary moments in close calls. So things still got tight. Things got muddy again. This is a wet cave. Miller mentions one example where one of them is hanging down in this muddy area to check things out, and then they just can't climb back up the rope because there's just too much mud. It's too slick, and they just kind of have to spend an extended amount of time trying new things, and eventually a big part of what helps them is the mud on their gloves and on the rope dries out enough to where they have a little more purchase to get back up.
Speaker 3: Wow, speaking of the mud, So you've been there and probably seen this in person. I saw this on a video walk through that the Parks had posted, or actually I don't remember if it was the Parks or somebody else. So somebody posted online a video walk through, and one of the things that was pointed out in it was in one of the larger rooms of the cave, there's kind of a big mud floor and there's like a trail leading through it, and the tour guide points out that that was the original trail that the first explorers were using to go in and out, and so you can just still see this sort of line cut through the mud, like they were trying to use the same the same path each time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Again, this was like this was the perfect era for cavers to have discovered cardon caverns, because they were thinking about these things already. They were like, let's impact this as little as possible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fortunately now that if you go in, you don't have to walk in the mud. They've got like a you know, an established walkway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, to a certain extent, the cave was hard to access and hard to discover. Nobody had seen it before. But still they're heading out there regularly. The cave's not too far from the interstate. There are plenty of other Eager cavers out there in the world, experienced or otherwise, so it's possible that they might be seen. It might they might be followed, Locals might wonder what they're up to, like, so they had to be careful. Like some of the locals thought they were working on I think some irrigation ditches or something, and they did not correct them. Eventually, they would use blindfolds, contracts, and other means to keep people they were on it in the dark. They'd physically cover up the blowhole and position rocks in such a way as to clue them in if investigation by unknown parties had occurred, and they ultimately were able to keep it secret like this for again fourteen years. So I'm not going to go through all the fascinating nuts and bolts of the story here, especially as it gets into Arizona state politics and the like. But here's some broad strokes and the rest of the story. So they'd achieved every caver's dream. An undiscovered cave never suffered historic vandalism like Onyx Cave in Arizona. It was also a living cave, a wet cave, unlike the dry colossal cave, and it gave everyone the possibility to really try and do right by this cave, to protect it from the get go and look after it with a contemporary understanding of things. But how do you go about that? How do you protect such a natural treasure? Well, tuffsent teenen. They've laid out four possible ways to go about it. One was gating, another was ceiling, another was the establishment of a research center, and then the fourth was commercialization. So gating, they argued, this would just draw more attention to the cave.
Speaker 3: Wait, sorry, what does what does gating mean? In this context?
Speaker 2: This would be putting up a gate and saying, like, you know, you're not allowed in here unless you've been given permission. And this is like one one approach to take. But the thing about a gate is you can force it open and cavers could be notoriously fanatical about accessing places like this, like don't apparently just it's hard to tell a caver that they can't access a cave. They're they're they're not necessarily going to take that at face value and then sealing it, like going the extra step of like making it, you know, putting some sort of like say, concrete sarcophagus over the entrance. This would they say, create a false sense of security, because it it might you know, it might protect the cave from access by humans, but it wouldn't. And then there is the head a thing, Well, what do you do about the bats? Right? The bats still need to get in. Without even getting into that, you still have the dangers of drilling, prospecting, and mining that are still going to be in play. And also you're locking the cave away from educational, scientific, and esthetic appreciation. Again, you know, we can, we can, you know, can we can talk about conserving the caves out there, but you know, we still we want to access them, and there are some good reasons for humans to be able to access them if it can be done in an equitable fashion. And they as far as the idea of turning it into a research center. They said that, Okay, this is a great cave. It's an amazing cave, but it's probably not biologically diverse or large enough to host a research center. And the thing about research research projects is that they end eventually, so you're not necessarily dealing with truly long term protection for the site. And so that brings us back to commercialization. And this ends up being the best option and the one they end up pitching because again they have to pitch this to somebody because it's not on state land. They find out after they've i think reached out to some state parks people. No, this land is owned by the Carchner family. And they had to then go make the case to the cartooners and try to bring them on, giving them a crash course in caves and you know, preparing them, you know for what all of this means, telling them what they had, and then in trying to instill in them the need to protect it and telling them how they might achieve that. And so again, there's so many ways this could have gone wrong if the cartooners had been different people. But they're great examples or not maybe not great. There are there are telling examples from previous decades of caves that have been opened up turned into show caves in more disastrous ways, caves that have been opened up with more of an engineer's mindset, like how do we physically do it, how do we get people down there? What sort of elevators do we install? Or a pure showman's enthusiasm, like how do we turn this into pure entertainment for the people. Anyway, they luck out because the cartooner has proved to be sensible and straightforward about all of this. James Krchner, the patriarch of the family, had a background in education, which was obviously helpful and so toughsent teen and made this proposition to them. They gave them these four options. They end up landing on the turning it into more of a commercial venture, with the idea that, yeah, if you open it up like this, research can still happen, people can come and appreciate it. But it also is I guess you could say paying for itself if it is positioned just ride.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's a case where you are making a partial sacrifice of the cave's integrity for basic human purposes like research and education, but also to raise funds that can help protect the cave in larger ways.
Speaker 2: Right, and again, I think this is one of the things that makes the story so so fascinating. And also you know the added point too that if it ends up being run by the state, then there are other dynamics in place there. But among the various requirements that they end up striking in this this deal between the two parties. First of all, tufsent teen and needed to remain a part of the process to ensure that no short curt cuts end up being made later on as this is you know, process as it transitions from a private to a state matter. And then James Karchner, for his part, one of the things that he insisted on is like, well, I want to see it. Take me down there. Let me see this thing. He was seventy eight years old, and he crawled through the hole. He crawled through the hole. There's a picture in the book, in Miller's book of him crawling through the blowhole. So this this old guy was, Yeah, this was a tough, old old geezer. He crawled through. Got to see it with his own eyes. Wow. So there's a fair amount of drama that follows from that point with everything that can earning everything from changes in the Arizona Arizona political climate to construction challenges because you know, part of opening it up is people can't come through the blow like that's not how you access it today. You've got to create some significant mind tunnels so that people can stroll in and reach it. So they had to do all that their engineering challenges there and also trying to build that in a way that wasn't like too destructive for the surrounding area, that sort of thing, you know, trying to use explosives as little as possible, those sorts of concerns. There was even an attempt by rival cavers at one point to tunnel into Xanad through what they thought was another collapsed entrance, and so some of the Xanad crew had to like infiltrate and sabotage that effort. So, yeah, all sorts of cave druma. So ultimately, over the course of this fourteen year period like that, the project faces unforeseen challenges in research, planning, construction, legislative threats, mining concerns, and legal issues. But then the cave officially opens to the public in nineteen ninety nine. The area that is now called the rotunda in the Throne Room, and then the Big Room opened in two thousand and three, So we'll come back to this. But the rotunda in the Throne Room or the this is where I visited on my initial tour, and then the Big room. This is where the bats go. This is where where previous I most recently visited.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, now, Rob, you can probably speak to this better than I could just from what I was seeing online. But my understanding is this tunneled and the new entrance they had to make to the cave, the tunneled entrance, They've gone to pretty great lengths to make that sort of an air lock like there are there's kind of a decontamination or airlock procedure you have to go through that's going to try to preserve the cave and preserve the cave as much as possible, limit incoming contamination and limit uh, the the loss of moisture and internal atmosphere to the outside.
Speaker 2: Is that right? That's right? Yeah, there's it feels very sci fi when you when you venture into a cartoon of caverns. There's you know, I kind of felt like it was in total recall, like going through some sort of some sort of Martian tunnels deep under the Martian surface two weeks. Yeah, because yeah, so even before you get in there, you're like your boots are disinfected if you've been in any caves and recent memory, basically, so you don't potentially spread white nose syndrome to the bats. There. You you enter through a series of sealed steel doors essentially air locks and long tunnels. And then and then after this there's this, there's a misting corridor. And this is what it sounds like. You're essentially like hose down. I mean, not to the point where you're dripping, but there's like a mist It's kind of like being in the vegetable section of a grocery store. And this serves a number of purposes. So first of all, it helps account for the moisture lost when humans venture in and then back out again.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's interesting, Like we would absorb a moisture and thus remove it, so like we're sort of a walking sack of damprid or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, even if you're not dropping Cheeto's bags, just by venturing in and then back out, you're changing things a little potentially, especially when you're dealing with a lot of humans, and the numbers are carefully limited here, but still so that's one part of it. But then also this helps deal with the lent again, all those skin cells, all those little pieces, those little clothing fibers that we're constantly shedding. The idea here is like you kind of wet all that down, make it heavier, and then as that stuff leaves our bodies during the tour, it's not floating off and then sticking to the surfaces of the cave. It's following more or less straight down onto the concrete a pathway that you're walking on, and you are on a concrete pathway the entire time, and their guard rails and so forth. So ideally you never touch anything except for the handrails. You don't ever walk on anything except for this concrete surface. And they're able to clean all of that down without having to clean the actual cave surfaces. And if you do come into contact with any of these other cave surfaces, well then they have to do spot cleans, Okay, but uh yeah, again, just it's it's just it's a very it's an amazing experience just to venture into it before you even get to see any of these amazing cave formations. One other thing I want to mention is that when you're going through the caves, the lights only come on when they're humans around, So they're like, so they're not lights on down there all the time. It's only when humans are down there, and as they move through the cave, which is ide because this is a dark environment. Yeah. And then as far as the bats go again, the big room, which is like a five acre chamber, a half mile of walkways. This is the area where the bats are seasonally. And when the bats are here, the lights are not here, people are not here. It's just left to darkness and bats. And then once the bats have left, then they clean everything up, then they turn the light. They put the lights back in so the lights can come on and then the tours can resume.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's only touring in this part of the cave when it's not bat season, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, Rob, we got several more things we were planning on talking about today, including the cave formations, the spielio, theimmes and bat populations in the cave, like a bit more biological detail there, but we are sort of already at time limit for today. So maybe we'll have to save those for part two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll come back in the next episode. We have a lot more to discuss concerning cave formations, the bats that seasonally roost here, a lot more interesting stuff to get into.
Speaker 3: Maybe is there going to be a connection to exo planetary science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, as we'll get into one of our two signature cavers here actually has some experience with the charting of other worlds.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, join us again next time.
Speaker 2: All right. In the meantime, we're going to go ahead and remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, and we've been around for years at this point. If you're just discovering us through Netflix, where we currently have a video version of the podcast, well there's a whole lot more wherever you get your audio podcasts. Just look up Stuff to Blow your Mind. We do core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays we do a short form episode, and then on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird movie on Weird House Cinema. And yes, again, sometimes those movies take place in caves.
Speaker 3: Sure, dude, I was just trying to think. Was our most recent big cave movie drawn a blank?
Speaker 2: Oh? Pretty recently, right right after I returned from my trip to Arizona, we'd watched one that had a cave in it or had a mine in it, The boog and the Boogains.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Buggins.
Speaker 2: Oh the Buggins.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, not really a cave, it's a mine. But yeah, you know, a human made cave.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But we've talked about films that we were filmed in Arizona caves like Gargoyles for example.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forget off hand, just off the top of my head, which cave they filmed in. It was not Carton, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I shudder to think not. I have not looked into what conservation steps were taken in the making of those movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, huge, thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.