Speaker 1: Welcome to had a Money. I'm Joel and I am Matt. Today we're talking about the Save Seesaw brand, warmth and money avoidance.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday, everybody, it's the Is there a name for the day after the fourth of July? Joel? Other than the fifth? There's no How do you say July in Spanish? You took Spanish, I should know that June is like junior July.
Speaker 1: I should know that too.
Speaker 2: Wholio, who is really? I think so nice?
Speaker 1: Guess, but I feel like it's the slowest day.
Speaker 2: It's like it's the slowest day of like the entire summer, because it's the day after the fourth. A lot of folks have flex Fridays anyway, where they're kind of like, all right, we're gonna dip out of town earlier for vacation. There's like nothing getting done.
Speaker 1: Today and celebration hangover and we.
Speaker 2: Ran our or you in your first ten k. So congrats to everybody who completed the peach tree. A lot of people running some prs.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, fourth Joly, it's like a big and running. Apparently he was back in vogue. I didn't realize this is becoming a thing again.
Speaker 2: It's a new thing called yogging.
Speaker 1: It's like it feels like it's nineteen eightyes, Portland, but all across the United States. Yeah, so we've got a lot to get to on this episode.
Speaker 2: Spontane Era.
Speaker 1: That's right, you're growing your prefontein stash right now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I wonder if that's the inspiration behind me when I did as a joke. Yeah, but it's kind of sticking around a little bit, all right.
Speaker 1: I keep it around me. I like it. I think mustaches are sophisticated. Uh oh, real quick, Matt. We just got back from vacation too, and you took a week off in Michigan. I took a week, took the family down to Tybee Island, just outside of Savannah, and I ended up going to a Savannah Bananas game. Thanks to listener Gary, who's been emailing us for years.
Speaker 2: He stayed in.
Speaker 1: Contact and he was like, Hey, if you ever want to go to a Banana's game, let me know. And I never want to go to Brads game again now because banana ball is so much more fun than traditional baseball.
Speaker 2: So this is why I need to make sure that the first baseball game I take the kids too is an actual baseball game, because once she get yeah, I've heard that about the Savannah Bananas. Once you go there, the kids are never going to want to actually go to a real, boring MLB baseball game.
Speaker 1: And basically, did you reach out to him proactively?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, yeah, Well, he had told me, if you're ever in town, you want to go to Banana's game, let me know, just give me heads up. So I gave him like a month or two heads up, and he was.
Speaker 2: Like, great, I want to go to a Banana's game.
Speaker 1: Because apparently they're like almost impossible to get those tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was talking to my brother in law sister in law. They lived near Savannah.
Speaker 1: You want to go like gary A.
Speaker 2: Evidently folks buying like a year in advance, Like they hit and then everyone pounces on them.
Speaker 1: And it's an atmosphere, it's a vibe and it's worth checking out for sure. And Major League Baseball?
Speaker 2: Is that where you got the Justin Bieber song stuck in your head? That it was they're playing music the whole time you mentioned that, I'm like, what Justin Bieber song? And you're like, you know you hear about it when you're just out and about. I'm like, no, no, there was so.
Speaker 1: Many songs I listened to that night that I was like, oh, I remember this. I've heard this before. But I'm so out of don't know what's going on with popular music, but Savannah bananas. Major League Baseball could stand to learn a lot because it's there's such a chasm, such a gap between the player and the fan, and they just they don't there is none of that exists in banana ball.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Players are in the stands, they're outside signing autographs at the end of the game, and I'm like, it's just torn down that wall. Yeah, it's way more fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say that they I mean was it? Last year was the first season that they instituted the pitch clock, shot clock, the pitch clock plus the larger bases to allow for more stolen bases, and that alone significantly decreased the length of a game. Yea, so well, banana ball it's two hours. Platt like you, no matter what, don't go past two hours. Really, Yeah, so they just stop it. They stop it. Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of cool too. You know, when you're getting out of there, you start at seven. You're done at nine. Stick around for an autograph if you want, then you peace out. So it's delightful, all right, But we digress. We're glad to be back, glad to be talking about money again. And let's get to the saving of stories we found interesting this week how they pertained to your personal finances. We have to start off talking about student loans. Student loan forgiveness, of course, as everyone knows, was a bust. It was shut down by the Supreme Court, much to the stratgrin of the Biden administration. And then the Safe Plan was another attempt by the President and the Department of Education to at least reduce the burden of student loan payments by lowering payments for the vast majority of people, some people down to zero dollar payments, while also shortening that forgiveness timeline. Well, just as it was about to be fully implemented, the legal rug was kind of sort of pulled out from under the Save Plan as well. Eighteen states have sued over the President's lack of authority essentially to push through a generous plan like this without the aid of Congress, without any sort of congressional approval, making a law and it is kind of tenuous.
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 1: I guess the Save Plan it's legal standing because it didn't originate from Congress or from legislation, and so I think the main beef, it seems like, in these lawsuits is with the accelerat forgiveness timeline. And so multiple judges agreed with that petition by the States and they put at least part of the Safe Plan on ice for the time being, and then and then on Sunday, another court ruled that this save Plan can move ahead. So which constructed. Yeah, it feels like whiplash. And I know anybody out there with student loans, especially since July was going to be the month and still is going to be the month. Now the payments take on this new lower form. Exciting news for those folks this past Sunday because now they're they're going to be able to experience those lower payments at least for the time being.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, So for I guess for all the folks out there who have student loans, you're probably wondering what this means for you. So the Biden administration they're pushing back or attempting to use legal recourse to ensure that Save remains fully implemented. They can't use the debt forgiveness portion of save at least for now, but the payment for many will be reduced dramatically according to the new discretionary income rules and the final outcome for the tenure forgiveness timeline that remains to be seen. But for the time being, no matter what your income level is, if you are enrolled in the safe play and your payment it's gonna be zero dollars because you'll technically be pushed into forbearance by the powers that be. So basically, as they're arguing over this, it's like, Okay, everything is going to be put on hold again. Payments are going to be on pause until further notice.
Speaker 1: That's the last thing I read was basically not just that some people, a few million people with incomes and family sizes that that made them qualify under the discretionary income rules, not just them, not just those folks, would experience a zero dollar payment, but that potentially everybody who's enrolled and saved is going to experience zero dollar payments for the time being while this gets while in the.
Speaker 2: Courts, exactly, Yeah, and not to get political too, but like I hate this for folks who hold student loans, because even the top Democratic official leader, Nancy Pelosi, like last was it last year or a couple of years ago, said that this is not something that the president can do, but then they just they try to push forward with it anyway. And so it just felt like a false promise. And that's the part of it that I hate so much, that folks are counting on this forgiveness on just some of the different promises that that we're going to be made. Yeah. So yeah, I don't know. I just hate it full as opposed to it actually going through congressional action, them actually voting on it, as opposed to the executive branch unilaterally doing it on the rim.
Speaker 1: It's like telling your kid you're going to go get an ice cream and then being like, psych not gonna get checks, scream and how disappointed are they? Whereas if you'd never say anything in the first place and you just don't get ice cream, like they don't know any.
Speaker 2: Would have been better for them to have never known.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so we don't know how this is going to shake out. My guess is that parts of this save plan are going to be implemented, and they are being implemented as it stands right now, but what's going to happen ultimately still remains to be seen. And so I think right now the best course of action is to assume that you're going to be paying your full student loan payment and to bank that for the time being, not to assume that it's going away. I just want to I wouldn want to count my chickens.
Speaker 2: Before they have, yes, which is what we said from the very beginning, like literally back during COVID, during the pandemic, as the forbearans, as payments were paused, we said, hey, keep setting that money aside, pay yourself, put that into high yield savings, and then when the time comes, you'll get to you know, you'll see what it is that you'll have to do with that money.
Speaker 1: Don't don't treat it as an excuse to spend more.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: If you're going to want to invest more, that's fine, I guess, but don't inflate your lifestyle. Make sure you at least retain the ability to pay your student loans when that payment comes back. But for the time being, the safe plan is kind of sort of mostly on. All right, let's talk about cell phones maths. A new survey from whistle Out. It's a cool name for a website. They basically document the price of cell phone service and what's happening in the cell phone sphere. And they have a new annual overspending report, that's what they call it. And they found that Americans are wasting fifteen hundred bucks a year on cell phone service. I don't know if that would have been your guest, like the average American, mat was the average Americans spending or wasting on cell phone service? I don't think I would have said it with that much, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What they cited in this survey was rising monthly costs, which contributed to a lack of affordability, which also shocks me, given the reality that you and I have seen prices decreasing the exact opposite. Yeah, we see prices going down. Actually, well everything else has gone up in price. Cell phone service has basically withstood the inflation gauntlet all together. But whistle out found that the average American I'm quoting here, the average American currently spends one hundred and fifty seven dollars a month on a plan from a major carrier that would that's like, that's the crux of the issue here in their report?
Speaker 2: Did that also include the price of like a phone or something like? That's I don't know, that's the part I don't understand. I know, I don't understand how that's possible. Yeah, so it just makes me slightly questioned, whistle out and their motives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, how are you coming up with this data? I mean, yeah, so maybe it's not as bad as they're actually making it, you know, making it sound, because I can't. I haven't met anybody who pays that much for their cell phone service. I've met people paying sixty to seventy eighty bucks a month, but one hundred fifty seven is insane. And if that's the average, how's that possible?
Speaker 2: Sure? But even still, this gives us a good excuse to talk about the more affordable options out there, because fortunately the tide is changing. The big guys are losing market share, and you know, us Americans, we're starting to realize just how much we can say by avoiding the big names, the big name brands that are constantly advertising by hopping over to an MV and zero.
Speaker 1: That's, by the way, what's you're paying?
Speaker 2: Format?
Speaker 1: You mentioned the advertising, the guys that sponsor stadiums, the guys that they're running the commercials during your favorite sports program.
Speaker 2: Basically, the more you know about it, the more automatically is. Yeah, forty seven percent of Americans now get their cell service from a discounter like Visible Mint, some of the other great boots. That's another boost. Yeah, although, so I noticed that Google five they recently increased price on some of their multi person plans, making them a little less enticing, because that's one that I mean, we were considering ceping out with our wives. Slightly less interested in that now. But another cheap and this is a newer player, but a service provider that's been on our recently is US Mobile. I'm not actually totally sure how long they've been around, but they offer an unlimited prepaid plan for seventeen dollars and fifty cents a month. That's good, which is really good man. And yeah, I think we've got like another have like another month or two cople months with Mint. I think Mint who has been great. I literally don't have any complaints with Mint. But I'm like, all right, well we know about Mint because of Ryan Reynolds, and I don't know like maybe their prices, I will say, the plan prices haven't gone up, but they have reduced the if you add on data, the cost on that has gone up, or or maybe they've reduced the amount of data you get. But even and you and I were not hich folks will complain about because they're like, I think it's literally I think it's twenty dollars for an extra three gigs of data. Wow, which it does seem like a lot, right, but even still, like, let's's imagine you're on like a ten gig fifteen gig a month plan prepaid throughout the year. The ability to save like more than one hundred dollars every single month, with the off chance maybe once or twice a year that you might add more data for twenty bucks, you definitely come out ahead.
Speaker 1: But so Emily she we're on the five gig plane, which is fifteen bucks a month, which is cheaper than the US mobile plan you just mentioned. But there has been a time or two if we're adding data. Emily in particular has run out of data and she's like, add me some data, and she's like, I'm sure she's annoyed, why are you cheaping out? And going the and so I think, oh, we don't need to do this, and we don't need unlimited data, that's for sure, because again and most people don't. They're on Wi Fi at work, at home, and so most folks unless you're just add the extra data streaming YouTube while you're driving, which ISA, no, no, you're going to get arrested for that or maybe not a rest of but you're gonna get all. Don't do that. But so I think with the extra when you pay fifteen or twenty bucks to top off your data, and even if it's just a one month or two months out of the year, it starts to make that seventeen dollars a month unlimited make a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 2: An extra two to fifty a months times twelve. Yeah. So I actually hopped on my usage or whatever on and I noticed so when we were when we are down in Savannah, we are up in the woods of Michigan and where we're staying didn't have Wi Fi and we barely had cell phone service. It was like snail's pace cell phone coverage. But even still, what that meant is anything that I was consuming was coming through data, and I've got like twenty five days left, basically a whole month, and I'm like, I've only got like one gig left. I didn't realize how much data I use, So I'm definitely gonna need to make sure, yeah, doing big downloads or anything like that while I am connected to Wi Fi. But even still, let's say I hit that cap in next week or something like that, it's still gonna be worth it to add that extra three gigs of data for twenty bucks versus going with one of the big players.
Speaker 1: Well, and it used to be, and it is with Mint, and it is with a lot of these other players. It's something close to double the cost to get the unlimited. But now that Unlimited is going down in price, I see the wisdom and going directly with one of those plans if it's cheap enough. So US Mobile we're checking out will tramp a link in the show notes for you. All Right, Mattlis talk about brands and brand loyalty. I'm sure every single person listening to this podcast can name a company or two that brings a smile out their face, right, I could name a few myself, whether it's a generous return policy, one of a kind goods or service.
Speaker 2: Thinking of Costco. I'm thinking of all d yeah, the return policy.
Speaker 1: Or even brains that just make cool stuff that are off the beaten path, Like as a want to be runner, someone who's getting into running, there's a company you're not.
Speaker 2: I want to dude, you run. Now you are a runner. We'll see except the identificate, the uh. I don't know that identity, not until I grow a stash like hers. If only it could be as thick as prefontame.
Speaker 1: Some day you'll get there.
Speaker 2: You'll get there.
Speaker 1: But there's a company I found recently called runner Are in in Are and they make you would look at these hats and you'd be like, that's so jo, that's so because they're bright, they're ostentatious, they're over the top and ridiculous, but they're cool.
Speaker 2: I just need to get you a pair of those some bright hokahs. What was that?
Speaker 1: I mean, funky stuff is my bier. So yeah, those are the kind of things like maybe it is just something that's one of the kind nobody else makes it like that, or just great customer service, right, that's something else you think of Chick fil A. It's the my pleasure, it's the trying to create raving fans. People have loyalty, strong loyalty to companies like that, and so if you were to have an issue with one of these admirable companies, you'd likely find that you were able to get it resolved without too much trouble, which only adheres you to that company even more, not necessarily just because they make cool stuff, but because customer service is at the forefront of their priority list. And this is what's known as brand warmth. And the best companies, of course, have this in spades. A recent white paper found that customers report feedback to these brands, to these brands that they feel like they have almost like a friendship or relationship with, even more than they would to a company they consider to be uncaring or they're more likely not to just give feedback, but they're more likely to complain. And so the reason they complain and don't just offer feedback is because they know they're going to be shut down cold if they try to offer constructive criticism. Like you think about the exact opposite of brand warmth, Matt, you think probably Comcast, Right, that's probably one of those brands at least in when.
Speaker 2: Not very warm feelings. Yeah, when you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Consumer Reports used to have this blog and they would identify the worst company in the world every single year, and Comcast was typically in the top four, often number one. But think about another brand, maybe, ARII, you're probably gonna get a fair hearing if you say, based on just their general policy, but then also based on their warmth towards their customers. And so I think it makes me think, don't be afraid to beat this wiki wheel with brands, especially that you love and admire, and do it in a feedback oriented approach instead of a complaining sort of approach. They're often going to respond fondly to that. They're gonna respond.
Speaker 2: Well, well, yeah, I mean, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that when you have a company or a brand that you love, you want them to continue to perform. Well, you know, like Kate recently took the kids to see a movie. They went to this sort of discount movie theater and she was just like, this is the first time she had been there, and she said, we didn't make sure this play sticks around.
Speaker 1: I guess they had a deal on Tuesdays. I guess it was for kids where they get a two dollars movies.
Speaker 2: I forget the price, but you get a drink and a a popcorn, like it's all basically included, and they count on you doing the upgrade. They count on you getting like pretzel bites or something like that. But it's like, oh no, no, you stick with what's included for free. But it takes supporting those kind of companies. And I think when folks reach out to brands that they love, it's in an effort to see them do better, which makes me think we haven't mentioned this recently, but if you have feedback for us, of course we would love to hear from you. Just email us at how tomneypod at gmail dot com. Because we make mistakes, we don't always do things perfectly, and we truly are trying to improve, just like you're trying to run faster jol like, like there are things and goals that we have set up before us, and we want to make sure that we're continuing to deliver a superior podcast where we try to write out there to every single one of those emails that comes in, we try to we read something up on our spam. We read them all, yeah, all the ones that don't get filtered. We certainly read and not even go looking in the Gmail spam. Yeah, sometimes heavy handed with what they consider spam.
Speaker 1: And we'll take we'll take complaint sand feedback either one, if you've got complain, if you like. There's somebody who left a review recently, Matt. They said that ouranguage has gotten more that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what we said. Did we let some slip not that I know, Like I feel like we're pretty buttoned up when it comes to language. Ear mustol Okay.
Speaker 2: So the flip side of the coin is that when a company tries to sell itself as trustworthy but isn't, and that's the case for most of the companies that take that pack. There's a new study that finds that the use of the word trust in their marketing materials is associated with worse outcomes. They're the ones that receive more letters from the SEC asking them for marketing clarity, or their stock performs more poorly, they pay more in auditing fees, which of course is not a great sign. And I've always hated this sort of marketing and more it's kind of a red flag for me, Like you can think of just honest Hlary's use car lot, like the fact that you have to put honest in your name, it's not a great sign. Or it makes me think of even like security companies.
Speaker 1: Riot or like keeping your family safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when there are more ambiguous products or services I guess that are being delivered when trust is the main reason to do business with them, we would say be wary because we feel that trust is something that it's more earned as opposed to something that it's put out there in marketing materials. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you hear like ads for the how of Money podcast and we're like, trust us. I mean that just to me, that's like, well, why, I don't know. I don't know you yet.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Like when companies put that front and center in their marketing efforts, I'm typically I don't know, I turn away from that. I think it for some people, maybe that seems to engender them to the brand. To me, it's always seemed to the opposite. And it's interesting to see some of this data that the companies that rely on that word to try to convince people to do business with them seem to be more suspect than companies that don't. So we've got more to get to on this episode, including we're going to talk about money avoidance and how it can create bigger problems down the line. We'll talk about that and more. Right after this, we are back from the break and it is now time for the ludicrous headline of the week. This one is from the Journal. The headline reads, his ex is getting his one million dollar retirement account. They broke up in nineteen eighty nine. What do you think about that, Joel? What do you think of when you hear nineteen eighty nine? I think you know what I think of? Taylor Swift? Yeah, okay, that's the only thing you can't think of. Ryan Adams covered that album. Who's one of my favorite artists? And now I don't listen to Ryan Adams anymore. He was like, literally my all time favorite for many years and now he's following off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't make the best choices, but hey, trust him, Joel. Maybe he's turned things around. So nineteen eighty nine, that was a long time ago. We are here for this financial drama that the Journal is reporting. But basically, this dude named Jeff and his lady friend named Margaret Ladynn.
Speaker 1: Except from that's like big Levowski, Right, there's my lady first.
Speaker 2: Is from the eighties. That's her name was Margaret. They dated for a while, and again this is almost forty years ago, but it was serious enough, at least at the time where he made her his sole beneficiary on his retirement account. Granted he didn't have a whole lot set aside. He was probably just like, oh, I love you, or maybe I think I do. They just dated for.
Speaker 1: Probably had like sixty bucks at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. But this act that was made back in nineteen eighty seven, so okay, they dated for a couple of years. There you go, but it was never updated again, and now she stands to inherit. I think it was actually more than the headline reads a million. I think at this point it's grown to be one point two or something. Yes, it's significantly more. So. Yeah, lucky for Margaret.
Speaker 1: Lucky Margaret for sure.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And the family, as you would imagine they document in the story, they're not happy about this, Matt. They're doing everything they can to try to go into the courts to get this overturned. Right. And the truth is, though, like we've said many times before, your beneficiary designation trump's what your will says, and so even though back in the day beneficiary designations were made on index cards, you didn't even do it on the internet because the internet didn't exist, Like, you couldn't go into Vanguard dot com, Fidelity dot com updated in mere seconds. Literally you had to go to like hr and get a new index card. Literally, his was written on a three and a half by five inch card, like, hey, hand me that one back, let me light this one in flames and hand you another one. That's not how it works anymore.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, probably did burn them because folks were smoking in the office, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly along with everything else, mad men Era, Well, let this be a lesson to us all. It is easier now than ever before to change your beneficiary, and it is incredibly important. Think about you know, Jeff's family here and Margaret's like apparently she wasn't talking to the journal, but her lawyers like, uh, I mean, clearly he made her the beneficiary, and so she wants this money and she's legally entitled to it, and I get by. The family has has their panties in a lot over this. They're not very happy. They're trying to pursue legal recourse to claw this money back, but they just I don't think there's gonna be much that can be done about this.
Speaker 2: It seems it's like it's a fairly ironclad thing. Do you think she should continue to what does she owe to the family? Do you think she'd just take my money?
Speaker 1: That's a really tough moral question, and as a judgment, if it was me, I would feel, really it would be hard for me to take that money.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could. Yeah, I think I would have to accept for the so I would feel differently.
Speaker 1: Okay, So sorry, if one of my ex girlfriends has done this, you go change your maneficiary so I don't have to go through this moral quandary.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here is there's no family. Well, like you say family, but it's his two brothers brothers. Yeah, yeah, so it's not.
Speaker 1: Like a wife and kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would feel one hundred percent differently about it if he had a wife, if he had some kids. But he just had another girlfriend a little bit further down the line, and that's it. And so the I'm just thinking about his brothers, and I can't imagine that they were counting on this money coming from their brother when he passed, and so legally, I just feels he's just it's owed to her, And I don't know. I think if I was her, it would also depend on my financial situation. I guess if I was her and I'm looking at the brothers and maybe they're not in the best financial situation and I was crushing it, I'd say, all right, guys, you know what, I totally understand. I'm not that seems like split sys generous thing to do. Yeah, there's two brothers, Hey how about we all go one third in on it. Plus, I guess the brothers are.
Speaker 1: Saying, we're doing what he would have wanted. But like, if you how do you know that?
Speaker 2: How do you know that? Yeah, you can't into it somebody else's desires and wishes And the fact that he never married anybody and had a family makes me think, man, maybe he was always like really torn up about it Margaret for years, and he left her on there because he truly wanted her to be set for life, way off into the future.
Speaker 1: But it is, you know, the ultimate lesson here is, too is to change your beneficiary on your retirement accounts to at least log in and look it up and see you even named anybody because you don't want this to go through some protracted legal process. Not only does it mean that the money that you have worked so tirelessly to save and invest and build up that it might not go to the person you intend, but also the people who love you the most have to endure the process of trying to figure this out after your passing. And so make it easy on that.
Speaker 2: Make it clear. Yea, yeah, totally. So what's going on here basically is inertia bias, which is a totally underestimated, underrated behavioral economics term. And when it comes to your wealth building journey, the things that we put in motion have a significant impact as to what it is that we continue to do. Just like in just case, he didn't change his beneficiary. He did that once and that just kind of carried on through his entire life.
Speaker 1: Is exactly the approach of most people. They signed on to their retirement plan, they name a beneficiary, and then they.
Speaker 2: Out of sight. It's a natural because yeah, you don't want to have to necessarily revisit those things. But automation is one of the things that can help us to overcome these human tendencies where you're able to make a one time smart decision that reduces the need for ongoing self discipline basically, and the same is true for automatic enrollment, which is now the default in retirement plans leading up to twenty twenty five, when the Secure Act two point zero automatic contribution mandate fully kicks in. The standard contribution percentage used to be three percent, but many companies have gone ahead and made six percent default contribution for new hires. This is according to data from Vanguard, which means that not only are folks now investing in their four to one k because that's the default, they're now auto investing at a higher percent of pay which is amazing. This is something that we love to see.
Speaker 1: And again we talk about how people, at least speaking for myself, knowing myself, a little lazy tendency to procrastinate, and so whatever I sign on and I see my first paycheck, it doesn't matter if I'm contributing three or six percent. For most people, they're not even real they don't even realize how much is going out, and they get used to that paycheck, and so whatever that default is, it's going to stay that way. Most people aren't going to go in there and change it unless they're their proactive type to increase their contributions. So interestingly enough, Vanguard also found that the average annual four oh one K contribution rate is eleven point seven percent of pay. So there are people who aren't just taking that automatic six which is a great baseline. They're going in and they're contributing even more to those retirement accounts, more than ever in human history, which is awesome. And a big part of that, by the way, is that default contribution rate going up, that many employees who would otherwise likely be contributing nothing are now stocking away. And Matt, I think that there's a lot that's made been made over the years about people not making enough to invest. It's not always that people don't have the money to put into the retirement account though right they often could if they had the education and maybe the spark.
Speaker 2: But you're just doing other things with their money, yep.
Speaker 1: And because like I said, if they got the smaller paycheck from the day one, they wouldn't realize any difference, and then they'd find just sublimely later down down the line that they have a significant amount of money saved up in their retirement accounts.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 1: Automatic enrollment and higher automatic contribution amounts are going to ensure that a whole lot more people are more prepared for retirement than the otherwise would be. This is great stuff. This is like societal goodness here, and this is private companies making helpful decisions and pushing their employees towards better behavior.
Speaker 2: That's right, man, All right, let's talk about interpersonal financial issues because money avoidance within relationships can create tension, you can create ongoing problems. This is literally why we talk about talking about money, and it's.
Speaker 1: Also why we've had so meta but it is necessary.
Speaker 2: We've had a whole lot of different folks on the show, like financial therapists specifically in order to address some of these underlying issues. Like so, for instance, if you've had like traumatic money experience, like you're not necessarily going to get past that just because you learned about the reality of compounding returns, you've learned about the twenty five times your annual expenses rule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes talking through.
Speaker 2: Some of the issues that you might have. And there's a new report from experts over at Cornell and Yale, and they find that not unexpectedly, that people don't broach the topic of money with their significant other because they're nervous it's going to cause a fight. It's the literal anticipation of conflict that causes them to shove their concerns under the rug. And as we all know, of course, that's not helpful.
Speaker 1: Just to be assuming things under the rug isn't a good thing.
Speaker 2: Map exactly. That's when my wife tells me to clean, that's what I do, and she's like, it look so clean down here, and I'm like, don't lift the rug up. You can't kick the ice cube under the fridge. That's allowed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that happens all the time in our house too. Yeah, you're right. They it's that anticipation, like if I bring this up, it's going to cause stress, it's going to cause an emotional reaction from my partner or something like that. So why don't I just not tackle the subject at all? Mum's the word. And I think the first problem here is that you're assuming that a fight is going to occur if you bring up the topic. The truth is it might not. And the second you're only setting yourself up for future failure because at some point there's the big lump under the rug because you sweep more and more stuff underneath it, and then the lump has to be addressed, and it's become a more tenuous situation. The longer you neglect anything, the worse the problem tends to get. It's true with your health, your money, your relationship issues, and so I don't think it means you have to force the issue in the heat of the moment, like all right, well, tempers are, how right, now, let's talk about all of our worst money mistakes. The key, though, is to have those conversations more regularly when the stakes are lower. So using your goals and your dreams to jumpstart a money conversation, not harping on the mistakes of the person you love. That will set the tone for a better conversation that can move you forward in a positive manner. So like making changes to for spending habits, for instance, it's easier to do when there's something bigger that you're aiming for together, when you're on the same page and you're like, yeah, let's cut out of this some of the silly spending that we've been doing, because there are bigger fish we have the fry, there are bigger things we want to tackle and accomplished together, and so when the setting is calm and you're both ready for and expecting the conversation. I think you can make a lot of progress. And I think we want like a money date right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the tip is to get it on the calendar, to say, listen, I know now is not actually the best time, but what if next Friday night we put it on the calendar and instead of going out, we still we opened a nice bottle of the line and we talk about some of these money things. I've got a few things I want to tackle, and you just create an environment, a soft environment, to have some of those discussions, because avoiding the topic altogether sure isn't going to fix anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or it doesn't have to be a bottle of nice one. It can just be some PBR if that's more your speed.
Speaker 1: I'm not against it, but I usually save that for music shows these days.
Speaker 2: True. Okay, while we're talking about relationships, let's talk about something that the Times documented, which is how Koreans are combining saving money and friendship in something that is called a k moyeme. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, and by the way, this is near and dear to your heart. Because you are of Korean descent, have sees. I saw this and I was like, friendship koreanness, it could be more. Matt's got Matt written all over it. Literally, Kate and I. So we had our week Kimchi on your Sabit, our weekly date night.
Speaker 2: Last night, and we hit up a new Korean pop up here in town that and they're going to open in the fall. It was very good. I am curious to see how American palettes to some legit Korean food. Though Kate and I loved it, I'm curious to try it. Actually, I snuffed a picture of the menu and send it to my mom and she was very happy. I'm so happy you have a place to go with you and your family. It's awesome. But basically what these are, they're essentially like a savings bucket. They're like sinking funds that you contribute to monthly alongside your friends in order to save for shared or common mutual goals you might have. And so not only are you able to say, for let's say, a shared experience like this can be something as big as a vacation or even as small as a barbecue. But many said that the mutual goal and the repeated savings it kept their friendship close as well, which is really fascinating. Do you think this is something that could work here in the States? Drole.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if we have the cultural ability. Like it's very different sensibilities over there than it is here. We're so much more individualistic.
Speaker 2: But I like kind of suffered to do some of these more collective action things here in the US with so with so much diversity, right, Like you go to a well even articulture that's plants or whatever, but like you go to somewhere like the culture is so homogenous, it's easier to implement things. It makes me think of like the different studies coming out of Scandinavia and it's like, well, yeah, you can pull off taxes like that. There are expected more's and norms that allow that to work, whereas in the US it's a little more different.
Speaker 1: They tout the public education in Finland as being top notch, and you're like, yeah, there's four million people like and they're they're more similar. We're a melting pot. It's it's much it's a much more difficult things that task that we have at hand. And you're right, I like this, and I think there are probably ways that we can adopt it to our own friend groups. And I think really too, what they're saying is like the I don't know, having something that you're building towards with other people, it can keep those relationships intact for listener, high school friends.
Speaker 2: Accountability, and I think that's a big part of it. But I do I think it can be done with closer friends because that's what's required because since we do, since we all do have various backgrounds. If you it means though that like your friendship of that core group needs to be incredibly healthy, which means you're talking about important issues but not limited to your personal finances, because that means you are able to work towards something. And in my mind that is the biggest hurdle because as we've seen over I mean what it was all the research pointing to declining rates of close friendships and so we're not connected more than anything. That's probably what's going to keep folks from doing that. But then I've maybe the argument could also be made that, hey, you don't have to have that before you do this. Maybe by implementing this sort of like what you're saying, that can allow folks to I don't know, it could draw people closer.
Speaker 1: So maybe you don't have to create your own de moin did I say right close? Close enough? Maybe you don't have to create that, but maybe it is anything you can do to kind of spur on personal finance conversations and creating more talking about things that matter more than just what you watched on TV. All the Bears great, I agree, but still there are better things worth talking about. And it's interesting to see how the kind of the bondedness you can feel actually money with. Katie had a great article recently, Matt just about the fact that we pay for everything in our culture these days and we don't rely on our friendship to the same extent.
Speaker 2: I think she's spot on.
Speaker 1: I think that is something that we just asking for a favor from a friend, like we're so reticent, so hesitant to do that. But that's what builds community, that's what builds a real relationship. And we've commoditized everything and they're downside to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are all right, that's gonna be it. Though for today's Friday flight, we hope you have a fantastic weekend and we'll see you back here on Monday. Reach out to us hown Moneypod at gmail dot com. If you have some feedback, if you've got nothing but good things to say, share it with the world over at Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts. But buddy, let's get out of here. Until next time, Best friends out, Best friends Out,