Speaker 1: A hotel that's created like building blocks. I'm Rich Dmiro. This is Rich on Tech Daily. This was a really fun story to do. Marriott is building a hotel in Hawthorne, California, which is just down the street from SpaceX, using a really unique technique modular. Now. I'm sure we've all seen those modular homes going down the highway, but this is different. This is sort of new for the hotel industry. So we saw a brand new courtyard slash town Place Suites hotel. Yeah, they're building like two hotels into one. Nowadays, this has over three hundred and fifty rooms. But here's the crazy part. The rooms are actually being built all the way out in Boise, Idaho. So they ship them to LA via tractor trailer, so on big trucks, which is crazy to imagine eighteen wheeler. It's easier to make this thing in Boise and ship it to LA than just to build it there. So what happens is once all these rooms, which literally looks like blocks, once they arrive on site, crews stack them on top of each other.
Speaker 2: Inside the room is everything you need.
Speaker 1: So there's like the TV, all the furniture, the bed, it's all placed inside.
Speaker 2: It's all finished.
Speaker 1: All the crews have to do is unwrap everything, place it where it goes, and then of course dust it all. Then crews just connect all the rooms to each other, so they connect the water, they connect the electricity, and yes, if you're wondering, since this is in LA, there are seismic rods for earthquakes, so these things are stabilized. And the company that builds them say, well, of course they're going to say this, but they say that the rooms actually have a higher quality because they're made assembly line style than if you build these things on site, because they can really track the quality from start to finish. And it's a lot of the same people building these hotel rooms over and over versus people that you hire locally. Now, the folks on site didn't want to give me an exact number, but they told me that each one of these modular units runs about ninety thousand dollars. Of course, that information is proprietary and it changes for every project. But I just kind of wanted to give you an idea of just how expensive these things are. So what's the benefit to all this, Well, mainly time, that's the number one benefit. They can build a hotel like this in one year versus double that time conventional style. So you're talking the faster that this hotel gets open, the faster they can start accepting guests, and that means the investors get a return on their money much faster. They also say the quality is the second thing that's really good, because it's you know, there's much more quality control when you're building these things in a factory versus on site.
Speaker 2: And they also say there's less environmental waste.
Speaker 1: Now. Mariott did fifty modular hotels in twenty seventeen, which is a lot for them, and they're doing six projects as we speak, but they're looking to do many more. In fact, the day that we were on site at this project, they had a whole bunch of people out there, builders, investors, all kinds of stuff showing off just how cool this project is and just how this can benefit them for whatever hotels they're working on.
Speaker 2: It's a different way of doing things. I think the.
Speaker 1: Guests are going to notice that these rooms are quieter because.
Speaker 2: They all have double walls.
Speaker 1: Because when you put two of these modulars together, well, guess what, there's walls on each side.
Speaker 2: So they go together, which is really nice.
Speaker 1: And if you're wondering about the size, they are the standard hotel room size of about twelve to fourteen feet across. Now, if you want to see this room go from unfinished to finished, it's quite the site to see with all the stuff stacked in the middle. Just go to my website richon tech dot tv. You'll find a link to the video on my Facebook page. Thanks so much for listening. If you want, please rate and review this podcast if you find it useful. That way, Apple will show it to more people. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: I'm Rich Demiro. Talk to you real soon.