Speaker 1: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arthan. Today we're joined by Steve, Michael, Keith, Mary Claire, Cody Logan and Brad. This is normally a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, but today, because we're at the First Light store in Hayley, we're bringing back the meat pole game. This is a test of how much you know about your fellow hunters and anglers. Now. I have some high hopes for some of our First Light players today, especially those that deal with customers all the time. You should be really in tune with what Meat Eater listeners you know, have going on in their world. Keith, you feel okay about you know your customers?
Speaker 3: He asks them what they think about Bigfoot?
Speaker 2: Keith, do you you know they just want to tell me all about it?
Speaker 3: Honestly?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Cody's a big the connoisseurly group.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, I mean I don't I don't remember how it happened, but it did happen. Ended up talking for forty five minutes, not doing any work, but talk about Bigfoot on the phone with the customer. Okay.
Speaker 3: In the end, he's like, do you have these XXXXL.
Speaker 2: That's a kind of customer service you'll get here at first light. You called to ask about the uncompagred jacket, and Cody might entertain you for forty five minutes with bigfoot story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm your guy. Absolutely. What's the biggest sock you make? Now?
Speaker 2: But between games, we just finished another game. The Logan and Claire smack talk has continued. Claire declared Logan that you were condescending when you guys play trivia together, so it was very satisfying for her to beat you that last game. I would agree with that, okay.
Speaker 5: I would also like to point out that when this new format aired a couple of weeks ago, she didn't like it at all.
Speaker 3: People don't like it.
Speaker 5: But as you were explaining the rules, she was nodding, and I think she's h wow, the uh.
Speaker 2: The Claire and Logan rivalry continues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people don't like the format right still, because you haven't fine tuned it yet.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that you've addressed my primary problem. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: And then the scoring is did you fix that? Is it not so complicated?
Speaker 2: We simplified this scoring as well, and you know, UH people are going to have to like it because this is what we're going to do on the live tour that's right up this spring. If you're coming to the Live Tour UH and you are part of the audience, you are going to be part of the group that has surveyed that night. So we're going to bring this similar concept UH to each city and we're going to learn about those folks that are sitting in those chairs and what their personal experiences and personal tastes are when it comes to the outdoors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, meaning when you come in, when you come into the live shows, not run through the dates a minute. When you come into the live shows, there's going to be a code, right mm hmm. There's a code you hit on your phone, so every you can, we can survey every person there. It's not like Spencer has to go talk to them all out in front of the big Foot booth. I'm joking when I have a big Foot booth there, but that was an inside joke. Anyways, you can hit a code and take a survey. So when we play the survey game, when the audience plays the survey game at the end, of the show, you're being surveyed about the people next to you. Yeah, like people here tonight? What percent of people here tonight? Blank? Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll see what Steve thinks about our audience at each show. Maybe it'll be insulting, maybe maybe he'll be very flattering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'll be You'll you'll be able to look around you and be like, I don't know what the hell these people think, And that's how the survey show will go. Can I hit the dates? Yeah, We'll be doing this Masa Arizona, which is one of those places where it's like it's I mean, it's kind of Phoenix, Masa Arizona Masa Arts Center April twenty three, San Diego, California, the Balboa Theater April twenty four, and I High in California the Grove of Anaheim April twenty five. Then I go spearfish on my buddy Greg, and then we do Sacramento at the Crest Theater April twenty seventh. Then we go to Salt Lake City, Utah the Union Events Center April. What am I on now? April twenty nine, that's another day off. I go and try to hunt turkeys that day Boise, Idaho the Egyptian Theater Tuesday, April thirty. Then my old hometown Missoula at the Wilma Theater May first. I got a million stories about the Wilma, which I will tell at the Wilma Spokane, Washington on May second, the Bing Crosby Theater, Portland, Oregon, Revolution Hall May four, and wrapping up in Tacoma, Washington at Pantagious Theater May five.
Speaker 2: So we're bringing this game to you, guys. There's other parts of the show real well, there'll be a lot going on. This is three ring circus, one of those elements. Sometimes it feels like more rings just three. Are we getting that Tuesday?
Speaker 5: We're getting that Tuesday off to come see the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, you hear this.
Speaker 2: Clay can't go back on that now.
Speaker 3: Clay nukeomb who's going to every show. He's bringing his guitar and he's gonna on the last leg of the tour. Chester the Divester I almost did his old I still have him in my phone as I don't even want to say it. My kids are. I was like, what's a a person that messes everything up? But Chester the Divester, Chester the Midwester. I think that's what he is right now, because he was Chester the Investor when he got into bitcoine. He was Chester the divester when he got out of Bitcoin. Now he's Chester the Midwester. He did the opening act that the last leg, but Clay himself is getting up and singing a tune every night for the new tour Be Special.
Speaker 2: Now here's how this game works. I serve a six hundred meat Eater listeners and ask them questions about personal experiences and personal preferences. Your job is to predict their answers. There will be one round per player, with a bonus round at the end. Each player will take a turn as the guesser. When it's your turn to be the guesser, you'll answer a question that's related to my polling data. All answers are in the form of percentages guess. After the guesser has provided their number, our other players will predict if the real answer is higher or lower. The guesser will receive points based on how close they get to the real answer, and the other players will receive points based on if they correctly choose higher or lower. See if you're the only one who's done this before. Do you have any tips for your competitors?
Speaker 3: I got a tip for you. Okay, I think that all players should write down the number they think it is.
Speaker 2: We'll try that at someone today. Today we're doing the the higher or lower version. Now, before we play, we'll do a practice round to make sure every everyone is comfortable with the format. For the practice round, Steve is going to be the guest. Or That means Steve will provide an answer, and after he's done so everyone else will predict if the real answer is higher or lower than Steve's answer. Steve, what percentage of Americans have called the police because of a neighbor? This wasn't part of my polling. This is some Pew research. So it's what percentage of Americans have called the police because of a neighbor? Think out loud here have you? Have you ever called the police?
Speaker 3: I don't want to tell it right now. I will tell you crazy ass story about calling the police.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not going to do it now?
Speaker 3: The police? Well, I don't know two police callings. It's it's the wildest story, but I want to tell it on the air. Huh, My guest is gonna be thirty because people live a long time.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, So Steve's answer is thirty. Now, everyone else you need to think about if the real answer is higher or lower than that, Like.
Speaker 3: My neighbors are making too much noise, my neighbors are fighting out in the street.
Speaker 2: Sure, parked in the wrong spot?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Good, thirty thing thirty is everyone nexteen? Now, if you think it's higher than that, you'll raise the green paddle, And if you think it's lower than that, you'll let raise the red past sixteen? Is everybody ready raise your paddles? We have Brad going higher higher, higher, lower, higher, higher higher. The real answer is twenty three percent, So only.
Speaker 3: I want to stick to my original answer at thirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Steve, yeah, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Now I want to tell my story so bad dude us?
Speaker 2: Is it a time issue? Is it like a legality?
Speaker 3: Issuety kids might hear this.
Speaker 2: Sensitivity is okay, okay, our audience is timilated. But there's there's no payoff here. Steve is not. He's not going to tell you the story. Maybe maybe in Missoula. There's your teas. Buy a ticket to the Missoula show. Now the scoring will be in the description of this episode. You can refer to that, but if you're right on the nose, you'd get twenty points. If you're five off, you're fifteen ten off ten points, and if you correctly predict higher lower, you get five points. Now, before we get started, let's talk a bit of strategy. As a reminder, this is polling data of my survey from six hundred meat Eater listeners. These are not just some yahoo's outside of a kenocious sears. Next, your best opportunity to score points is by doing a great job when you're the guesser. You can earn up to twenty points as the guesser. Well, everyone else can only get five points by correctly answering higher or lower. So your one opportunity as the guesser is very important. And just like with every other episode of med Eater Trivia, there's five hundred dollars on the line. Our winner will get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation goes.
Speaker 3: It's everybody ready, Yeah, I got a little thing for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Is it in golf. You're trying to get a low score, that's right, So if you do what I'm saying, everybody picks the number, but you're you're chasing a low score. There you go, so your number off from reality.
Speaker 2: Stars onto something we're working out for life to today we're doing the ping pong battles, play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 3: How's say, just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Game on Suckers. Question one, this will be for Brad. Brad, what percentage of ag said they've lied about the size of a fish before? Oh man, the question was, have you ever lied about the size of a fish? They had to say yes or no? So what percentage of anglers said they've lied about the size of a fish before?
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel like everyone's guilty of exaggerating a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that yourself included? You're saying, I.
Speaker 6: Just think every fisherman you know, you don't any fishermen admit it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's there's an interesting honesty play here.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming that these people are gonna be honest here with Spencer's pot, it's anymous there.
Speaker 2: It is anonymous when they're answering said that they're just lying to themselves. What your kids answer.
Speaker 3: A lot every time? He looks in the water. It's like, you see, are you sure? Because I just looked down there too.
Speaker 2: So Brad, what percentage of anglers said they've lied about the size of a fish before?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go relatively high.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say like eighty five percent.
Speaker 2: Eighty five percent. Everyone else will now decide if the real answer is higher or lower than eighty five percent. Is everybody ready raise your paddles? We have Claire saying higher, Mary saying lower, Michael saying lower, Cody saying higher, Logan saying higher, Keith saying lower, Steve saying lower. The correct answer was forty two percent.
Speaker 6: They're lying, They're lying to themselves. On you're interviewing compulsive liars.
Speaker 7: That's a good baseline question to start with.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: According to a twenty twenty three survey of American adults, the average person lies two times per day. The study found that about forty percent of people lie on their resumes and ninety percent of people lie in their dating profile. The worst offenders of all, though, are politicians, who were shown to lie once every five minutes during a debate, and fishermen and fishermen they even lie about their.
Speaker 3: Lies how do you lie in your dating profile? You're like, like, you don't actually like long walks on the beach.
Speaker 2: Who has a dating profile in here right now?
Speaker 3: No one.
Speaker 2: No one's admitting it. Okay, I'm on Hinge, fine me, you're in Hay. You can find Cody on Hinge. Hinge. You lie? How would you lie about your profile?
Speaker 3: I don't lie on my profile?
Speaker 2: Oh he doesn't lie, Okay, I got I got some dog photos on there, though.
Speaker 3: You don't do fish pictures because I've been told you want to do like, uh, you kind of chilling and then you're doing what you love you But but I got married before this was even the thing, so I got no, I never.
Speaker 1: Do my best.
Speaker 2: I don't even know I'm either Okay.
Speaker 6: The fish pick is divisive though, Like you know, there are like two trains of thought.
Speaker 3: It's like you have it out there.
Speaker 6: So then the girl just like knows what you are.
Speaker 2: And then there's a liar.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, you lie about the size of the fish in your fish picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then later when you do get together and you're in trouble for fishing all the time, you like, dude, you back to my profile exactly. It was all me fishing. That was just a that was just a representation of what I do as advertised.
Speaker 2: When you come to Haley, then you come to the first Light store, and then you also download hinge and you'll find Cody there with his fish dog pictures.
Speaker 3: But they like it's just it's under your name.
Speaker 2: You put like you put like like your your mileage where you want to like travel to. I'm around like fifteen miles. So okay, that was Question two is for Claire. Claire, what percentage of out doorsman said they'd rather own thirty acres of water instead of ten acres of land? Oh? What percentage of out doorsman said they'd rather own thirty acres of water instead of ten acres of land? Think out loud here, Claire, which one of those would you pick? Thirty acres of water ten acres of land?
Speaker 7: I would pick ten acres of land. But I'm not a big I mean, if you own thirty acres of water, you're like you have your own little lake, and thirty, I mean thirty acres is pretty big. You can have a boat on that.
Speaker 2: So what percentage of out doorsman said they'd rather own thirty acres of water instead of ten acres of land.
Speaker 7: I think it's probably big with our audience because our audience is a lot of lake fishermen. I'm not a big lake fisherman, so I would not pick this myself. But it's higher than fifty percent, so I'm gonna go with like seventy two percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, Claire's saying seventy two percent. Seventy two percent of outdoorsmen would rather own thirty acres of water instead of ten acres of land. Does everybody have their paddle ready? Go ahead and raise your panels when Mary saying lower, Michael's saying lower, everybody is saying lower. Everybody was right. The correct answer was nineteen percent. Damn, nineteen percent would rather have the thirty acres of water instead of the ten acres of land. According to data from Texas, the average price of an acre of land is two thousand, five hundred dollars, while the average price of an acre of surface water is four thousand, five hundred dollars. That means, in Texas, the thirty acre lake would be worth about one hundred thousand dollars more than the ten acres of land.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, economically, if you're sure, we're paying that much more for.
Speaker 2: Well, how many private thirty acre lakes are out there? How many?
Speaker 3: Then you're talking about down there. You're talking about some boetal shortline too, man.
Speaker 2: Some more folks want the ten acres of land though. Question three, this is for Mary, Mary. What percentage of outdoorsmen said they're currently subscribed to an outdoor magazine? Are you subscribed to any outdoor magazines?
Speaker 1: I don't need to. My husband has a magazine collection that is epic.
Speaker 2: Really, what does he subscribe to?
Speaker 1: Oh, all the hunting magazines.
Speaker 3: Little cards that fall out of the magazines he just finds.
Speaker 1: Can I say this, he's a magazine whore?
Speaker 3: Okay, you did so, Mary.
Speaker 2: What percentage of outdoorsmen said they're currently subscribed to an outdoor magazine?
Speaker 1: I'm going to say sixty five percent?
Speaker 2: Sixty five percent? Everyone else, you have your paddles ready, raise your paddle subscribed? Everybody is what are you going with Logan? Everyone is saying lower, except for Logan is saying higher. The correct answer is thirty eight percent. So everybody except Logan got that one right. A twenty seventeen study found that forty one percent of American adults are subscribed to a newspaper or magazine, and a twenty twenty three study found that there are now more magazines today than ever before, despite readership being at an all time low.
Speaker 3: H I want to get a cross draw bandlier for these paddles. There you go, they sit like that dude and bow the buster scrugs. Who wears his pistols real high?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we should like have a gear company that can make that kind of thing. Paddle holder for Steve. One of the question four, This is for Michael. Michael, what percentage about doorsman said they'd rather own a knife that never dulls instead of waiters that never leak? Hmmm, So you get two choices. You could either have a knife that never dolls or waiters that never leak. What percentage of outdoorsman said they'd rather own the knife instead of the waiters? Which one would you pick?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Come on, I go knife.
Speaker 3: Listen, sharpen to knife. There's a lot quicker than past your waiters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm also thinking like how many people are actually running waiters?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: So of the six hundred, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're not doing what you want. You're supposed to be thinking about what they want. Yeah, yeah, but what about the people they use? Waiters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, six hundred listeners were surveyed for this, and they were asked if they'd rather have the knife that never.
Speaker 4: Dolls white tail hunters. Right, they're not using waiters, So I'm gonna go sixty seven percent.
Speaker 2: He's saying sixty seven percent would rather have the knife that never dolls instead of the waiters that never leak. It's everybody with their paddles. Ready, go ahead and raise your paddles. We have Cody saying lower, Logan saying lower, Keep saying higher, Steve saying lower, Brad saying higher, Claire and Mary saying lower. The correct answer is sixty nine percent. You were only two percent off. That is our best guess.
Speaker 4: Yet I wasn't gonna say sixty nine I felt like it wasn't appropriate, so I dull it down too.
Speaker 2: For being within five points. Then you will get fifteen points. Well done, Michael, Steve, you're still convinced that you'd rather have the waiters than never leak though.
Speaker 3: You're a beaver trapper though, Oh yeah, because I like sharpening knives, I hate fixing waiters.
Speaker 2: According to a twenty twenty three study, Americans are the most obsessive about sharp knives. It found that the United States has thirty five percent of the global knife sharpening market, with the number expected to a rise in the coming years. They said the key factors in America's knife sharpening interests are the popularity of cooking shows and the increase of preparing meals at home during the pandemic. So sixty nine percent would rather have the knife never doles now. As a reminder, Steve had noticed in the past that in this game it seemed like an inverse the leader board than a typical game of meat eater trivia. Right, because Karin took a thorough victory the first time we played this.
Speaker 3: Yep, she can't play trivia.
Speaker 2: Well she can, but yeah, Krin's shaking her head. Not as well, Phil, give us a leader board update.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 8: We have got Logan and Claire with five points a piece. Coming up next our Cody and Mary, who have ten. We've got Steve and Brad with fifteen, Keith with twenty. In first place is Michael. He's got thirty points.
Speaker 2: Well done, Michael. We are up to Cody. Now, Cody, what percentage of dog owners said their dog is actually their best friend. Are you a dog owner?
Speaker 3: I am? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is your dog your best friend?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay? So what percentage of dog owners said their dog is actually their best friend? Eighty seven? Eighty seven percent. Every dog owner out there basically says their dog is their best friend?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Is everybody else ready with their paddles? Raise your paddles, we have lower. Lower, lower. Everybody says lower. Everybody was right. The correct answer was forty seven percent.
Speaker 3: Not looking good for dogs, forty.
Speaker 2: Seven percent of dog owners said their dog is actually their best friend. A twenty twenty two survey found that sixty nine percent of people say their dog is their best friend, meaning out doorsmen are less likely than the average American to consider their dog their best friend.
Speaker 3: Because there's a there's a thing you're measuring there, I mean, because they're looking for performance in a specific pursuit. Keep going well, Just the dog has more chances to fail if the dog's only job is to hang around. If the dog's job is to hang around the house, how can it screw that up?
Speaker 2: Interesting point, Steve, But it's still got to be their best friend.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna take it out. It's gonna piss you off, You're gonna not like it anymore.
Speaker 2: Maybe the dog or just home.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe he's not gonna piss anybody off.
Speaker 2: Maybe the bond is stronger with outdoors. Apparently not, though the survey shows that I'm just.
Speaker 3: Going by it. I'm just now that I know the number, I'm trying to think my way into it.
Speaker 2: That same survey found that seventy two percent of Americans say bringing home their dog was one of the best days of their life, and that forty two percent of Americans say their dog goes to the salon more than they do. Who else is dog owner in here? Are your dogs your best friends? Would you say if you had to say yes or no?
Speaker 7: But I think the way that that question was worded, like if someone asked me, is your dog your best friend?
Speaker 2: And then if they said, think about it, is.
Speaker 7: Your dog really your best friend? I might start to feel bad about it.
Speaker 2: It was worded, is it actually your best friend?
Speaker 3: Mary?
Speaker 2: Michael? Is your dog your best friend?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I think that people don't want to if they don't have friends human friends.
Speaker 2: Okay, Michael has found a much deeper level to the game. I think if I owned your dog Michael, that'd be my best friend as well, one of the best behave pups rough to Logan, Logan, this is question six. What percentage about doorsman said they'd rather eat a rare burger instead of a well done burger? So they were given two choices, would you rather eat a rare burger or would you rather eat a well done burger? What percentage about doorsman said they'd rather eat a rare burger instead of a well done burger? Which one would you choose?
Speaker 5: I was always taught that you need to be safe with burger and like medium at at the least right, make sure that anything on the insides.
Speaker 7: Literally just had an argument about this.
Speaker 2: Okay, this rival goes much deeper than I thought.
Speaker 3: Sat you down.
Speaker 6: I think I feel like it was showcounter burgers, Claire Logan.
Speaker 2: What was the argument you two just had about.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable situations where friends are trying to get rare burgers. Someone want you to remember just say no.
Speaker 5: Someone may have felt that my Elk burgers were a little overdone, okay? And was it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was Claire, okay, And your response was what they were perfect, just how you're supposed to go. Himan, what percentage about doorsman said they'd rather eat a rare burger instead of a well done burger.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say fifty four percent rather rare burger than the well.
Speaker 2: Done fifty four percent. Are other players ready raizor paddles? We have Keith saying hier, Steve saying higher, Brad saying lower, Claire saying higher, Mary, and Michael and Cody saying lower. The correct answer it's fifty six percent well done logan only two points off. So everyone who said higher got that one right. A twenty nineteen Yugov study found that well done is the preferred way to eat burgers. Their survey of twelve hundred Americans found that forty percent prefer a well done burger, with twenty percent choosing medium well and seventeen percent choosing medium. They also found that women are about twenty percent more likely to order a well done burger than men.
Speaker 3: Did they do that?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Does that have the political demographics like the state one does?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we talked about that before. With stake done this it showed that Republicans are more likely to order rare and Democrats are more likely to order well done than vice versa. We are on to question seven. This is for Keith and we will get a scoreboard update after this. Keith, what percentage of anglers said they think they're a better angler than the average angler?
Speaker 7: And just another.
Speaker 2: So, what percentage of anglers said they think they're a better angler than the average angler? And the question to be clear, it said, do you think you're a better angler than the average angler? So what percentage of them said?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: You gotta vote with the angler on this one. I think I'm thinking like seventy two percent think they're better than most anglers.
Speaker 3: Seventy two percent of anglers as them, do you identify as an angler?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's for anglers only. And then it says, do you think you're a better angler than the average angler? And Keith, what was your answer? Sev seventy two percent? Is everybody else ready go ahead and raise your panels. We have Stee saying lower, Brad saying higher, Claire, Mary and Michael saying lower, Cody and Logan saying lower as well. The correct answer was forty two percent, So everyone who said lower got that one right. Show that that was a pretty honest group. Only forty two percent of them thought they were a better angler than the average angler.
Speaker 6: Must have been a different group from my questions, right, Yeah, dude, I'm definitely better than the average.
Speaker 2: Now what twenty eighteen study asked three thousand Americans if they think they're smarter than the average American. They found that sixty five percent of people think they're smarter than average, with men more likely than women to have that belief. The researchers concluded that quote the tendency to overrate one's abilities may be a staple feature of human psychology. That's right, So six sixty five percent of people think they're smarter than the average person.
Speaker 5: They should come on and play med Eater trivia real quick.
Speaker 2: Phil, give us a scoreboard update. We have one question left, which will be for Steve, and then we get to the bonus round.
Speaker 8: Sure thanking, Cody has fifteen points, Brad, Claire and Mary I'll have twenty points, apiece, Logan, Keith and Steve have thirty points, and in first place is Michael. He's got forty points. Now Michael and first Steve.
Speaker 2: Here's your chance to pick up some ground. What percentage of hunters said they'd rather have a bull elk tag for Yellowstone National Park? Instead of ten thousand dollars. So they were given the choice for those two things, said, you can either have a bull Elk tag for Yellowstone or ten thousand dollars. What percentage of those hunters said they'd rather have that bull Elk tag.
Speaker 3: Well, we need these boards, do you you will?
Speaker 2: For the next question, unprepared to Steve, which one of those would you choose? The bull out tag for Yellowstone or the ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I would really want the bulltag, but symbolically because I just don't like national parks because you can't hunt them. So I think there should be like very limited hunting like the Yellowstone supertag. Sure, so for that symbolic victory, I would want to do it. I think what most people would think, because I don't think most people would pay ten grand to go Elk hunt.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not getting paid that amount.
Speaker 3: You either choose would pay for sure, And when you're essentially doing that, you're taking the option to have ten grand, you're like basically handing the ten grand over. But I'm still gonna say eighty eighty seventy.
Speaker 2: Now, what happened there was Steve said eighty I think we had Michael, who could and then see immediately lowered it.
Speaker 3: You could go with my original.
Speaker 2: No, no, whatever you like. Does anyone else want to try to change Steve's answers?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't change it because of that, just saying it, saying it, maybe think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Steve is saying seventy per seventy seventy percent. Has everybody ready raise your paddles? We have brand saying lower, lower, lower, lower. Everybody says lower except for Keith. Keith says higher. The correct answer was fifty eight percent, So everybody except for Keith got that one right.
Speaker 3: Does that? Do you mean you good on getting points? No?
Speaker 2: You gotta be within ten. Oh, it's not good enough. Elk get poached in Yellowstone more than you'd think. I found seven cases of elk poaching in park boundaries since nineteen eighty seven. All but one of those cases was solved, with the other six ending with fines, restitution fees, and jail time. The biggest fine was given to two men from Arkansas and Alabama who filmed themselves calling in bowls and Yellowstone and killing them with their bow. They were each fined fifteen thousand dollars and sentenced to eighteen months in jail.
Speaker 3: But here's how don't listen, man, here's the deal. I would have you go find out how many of those were within a couple hundred yards of ill defined boys.
Speaker 2: A few of them were, and then other ones. You'd be surprised right off a main road in Deep and Yellowstone got it.
Speaker 3: Because that's a I'm not saying they're I mean they're wrong, like you need to write your responsibility. It's as wrong as anything understanding you can be in places where you can be in you can lose touch of the sure boundary.
Speaker 2: Fifty eight percent would rather have that bull out tag Phil. Can you give us one more scoreboard update before we do the bonus round.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've got Cody with twenty, Keith and Steve have thirty. Oh sorry I skipped. I'm going out out of order here. Sorry guys, Brad, Claire and Mary, I'll have twenty five points a piece, Logan has thirty five, Michael still in first with forty five.
Speaker 2: Now now question nine are bonus question. There's a lot of opportunity to pick up ground here, so you could go from last place to first place real quick. You'll need you will need your whiteboards and your markers for this one. Here's how the bonus round works. I asked six hundred hunters for them to rank these states in order of who has the best deer hunters to the worst deer hunters. You need to place them. I asked them to rank these from best deer hunters to worst deer hunters these different states, so we'll get there. You need to place these in the correct order. For every one of these you get right, you'll receive five points. That means the final round is worth twenty five points. So you need to rank these states in order of who hunters said have the best deer hunters to the worst deer hunters. Here are your five states, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan. And I chose these five states because these are the five states that harvest the most deer in America. So our six hundred people surveyed were asked to rank these in order of who has the best deer hunters to who has the worst deer hunters. The five states again are Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Michigan. For every one of these you get right, you'll get five points. Five states that kill the most deer in America, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Michigan. Steve, how do you feel about your answer? I think you're the first thing.
Speaker 3: To be frank.
Speaker 2: This was from that same survey of six hundred meat eater listeners. Is everybody ready? Brad good? Yeah, I just had to Okay, Logan yep, Cody, We good, Michael, everyone's ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying one Wisconsin, two, Missouri, three, Pennsylvania, four, Michigan, five, Texas. Claire saying Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Missis, Missouri, Texas, Mary saying one Wisconsin, two, Texas, three, Michigan, four, Missouri, five, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Anyone outside of Texas is going to put Texas as five, Michael, anybody?
Speaker 2: Michael saying Wisconsin, one, Missouri, two, Pennsylvania, three, Michigan, four, Texas five. Cody saying one Wisconsin, two, Pennsylvania, three, Texas, four, Missouri, five, Michigan. Logan sang Missouri, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas, Keith saying Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri. Steve who declared he's going to do well on this, he says, Missouri one, Pennsylvania two, Wisconsin three, Michigan four, Texas five. Now, Steve, say again what you're saying about Texas.
Speaker 3: Did anyone you called who's not in Texas is going to put Texas as number five?
Speaker 2: Here are the answers number one, Wisconsin number two, Michigan number three, Pennsylvania number four, Missouri number five Texas. We're gonna give Phil a second to update the leader board. Wisconsin was overwhelmingly voted the state with the best deer hunters, while Texas was overwhelmingly voted the state with the worst deer hunters. Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Missouri were all in a close race for second. Here's some interesting takeaways. Texas received more last place votes than the other four states combined. Wisconsin received thirty five percent of all first place votes, and Pennsylvania was the most polarizing state with it recis e being the second most first place votes and the second most last place votes. Does that check out? Steve?
Speaker 3: Well, just goes to show that was on everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right. That is Steve's takeaway. Phil, give us our final scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Surely, Well, we've got Cody, Keith and Steve all with thirty points, Mary has thirty five, Brad and Clair have forty, Logan has forty five, and in first place, he's got sixty points victory from.
Speaker 3: Michael Man just so fall victory.
Speaker 2: Let's get Michael a microphone over here. Mike, Uh, how do you know so much about your fellow hunters and Anglers?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It just kind of went like a bit more logical, I think, well.
Speaker 2: A bit more logical than the other seven players.
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, arguably.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, these Michiganers, you know, the mistake across the lake, as we refer to him from Wisconsin. Yeah, you know, they think they're they're good.
Speaker 5: You didn't pull people outside of seers in Kenosha?
Speaker 4: Did you thought that was a red herring? I thought it actually was people in Kenosha?
Speaker 2: So, Michael, did you put Wisconsin?
Speaker 3: Is one? Sure?
Speaker 2: Did? Where did you put Michigan? At number four? Okay? Number four? He wasn't going with logic there. He just wanted to insult the Michiganders in the room with that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, I kind of want you know, that was a tough one because I almost to get it done. Arguably, in Michigan, I feel like would be a lot more difficult to harvest the deer, to be honest, because of the hunter percentage. But then you know, Pennsylvania people, they you know, they really think highly of themselves. And I like thought, all right, how many people in Pennsylvania were on the survey, But then I really got worried if it was more people in Texas on the survey, right, because it's like, at to Steve's point, you put them at put themselves at number one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I feel like some of the Texas people, if you get them anonymously, they'll admit, like, we're probably gonna be low on this.
Speaker 4: No way, there's no way a Texas personally really well, there is a feeder.
Speaker 3: You know. I went high in Missouri because they're killing out the stomp or bucks in Missouri. So I feel like people are seeing these big bucks out of Missouri is not Texas, Yeah, And I don't think so they're thinking that they must be super good at hunting.
Speaker 2: I don't think Missouri gets people worked up about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Wisconsin is putting the most booners on the wall, you know, and you're Missouri it is. Yeah, oh yeah, on the top. Yeah, the number one young and and you're always reading about it with all the people with uh you know, magazine subscriptions.
Speaker 2: Keep rubbing it in. Michael. There you go, take well earned, I know, Michael. What happens to next is you get to choose with a five hundred dollars donation from me de to goes. So what's it gonna be?
Speaker 4: Step pheasants forever?
Speaker 2: Pheasants forever? What do we like about them? With your bird dog? Is that because your best friend is sitting about six inches away?
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, Okay, yeah, no, I just think that they do, you know, really a lot of good programs, uh, kind of from coast to coast, and arguably you know, they cover a lot of the more upland species and just pheasants. You know, I think that they're mislabeled.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, five hundred dollars going their way. And now the the Logan and Claire rivalry has another chapter in it. Uh, Claire won the last game, Logan wins this one.
Speaker 7: So you guys are all that I don't I don't really like it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't like this formatic game. You're right, that was that was established up front. You got that one to be fair, Steve, I like the golf idea, that's what we're gonna do, gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's gonna take a game so far as unpopular and shoot as popularity.
Speaker 2: That's that is what's gonna happen next time.
Speaker 7: Were connecting it to.
Speaker 3: Golf, No, just shooting for a low score.
Speaker 6: Well, because then you're guessing a percentage every.
Speaker 2: Time, every time you'll get a chance.
Speaker 3: Because it's kind of chicken ship to be waving these paddles, right, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's like you're not really getting in there and exposing yourself.
Speaker 6: And then I feel like there are a few times when we're like, you know, someone's right near the number and like, gosh, you just want to guess it with them.
Speaker 3: You know, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna do a different next time. Thank you for having us at the Haley store coming out. Appreciate it. We're gonna do someun annual basis I think, come over here and have Steve lose it trivia. And then everyone cheers for Keith like a real, a real hearty cheer when it was declared that Keith got second.
Speaker 7: I'll take solver any day.
Speaker 3: Well, people that would like to see me lose bad should love the paddle game. And there we go.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.