Speaker 1: Also media a welcome back to the podcast that this is part three of our episodes on Queen Romana.
Speaker 2: Dig Youelo of Canada. Uh and you know, Canadians, thank you for letting us talk about your your monarch. You know, your your your leader that I know you all love and respect and I hope that we're being you know, positively deferential towards towards your your great ruler. You know, it's I'm sorry, it's just so sad that Canada has to deal with having this crazy person run their country. You know, can you imagine really like having like a crazy asshole in charge of your country? Just like, thank god, the just a Canada problem, Jesus.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's okay, guys, you'll get your shit together one of these days, like we have in the Americas like us. I guess you're in the Americas too. Whatever anyway, too in by Greenland. All right, right, So August twenty twenty one to December twenty twenty one were very busy times for the Queen of Canada. She hits like, you know, like her peak at least, this is when Christine Startechi says, she hits her peak number of followers, which is like seventy something thousand on telegram now at this point in time, because inflation is a problem, and because the economies not doing great, and because her followers haven't been paying their bills, she's focused a lot on, like the fine on providing like what would look like lifelines to the finances of her people. She's got like these grocery pages that are supposed to like help her followers like purchase groceries, find groceries that they can like afford, and stuff she's issuing like decrees eliminating taxes and credit card debt. And she's issue doing like fake money, and it's unclear how this is supposed to work. It's like a promissory note that you can print out from a downloadable template with like instructions that says you can use this money wherever you are. They're payable by the Kingdom of Canada. She also describes this as working basically the same as like money at the at like the Canadian Tire Company, which like is is this company that like sells I think mostly used tires, and they have their own like fake company currency, right that like you can use for stuff within if you're paying for other products you can like accumulate it. A lot of businesses do this, and that's kind of which makes it very unclear how is this supposed to work? Who is supposed to accept this right? Like what is the and that's actually never made clear to me. These promisory notes. I'll pull one up for I'll do a screen share so you can you can see what these fucking things look like.
Speaker 3: Real groceries. We made up money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the idea is like they're supposed to find, well, it looks like a check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks it looks.
Speaker 2: Kind of like a check. It's a promisory note. You get to write your own number in, so it's a blank check for all of your all of your followers.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's really unclear to me how even her followers were supposed to believe this stuff worked. But obviously like it doesn't of course not. But you do have people like printing these out and she issues them when she's as they're driving around, they're stopping in towns and they're meeting up with like whatever followers they have in these individual towns, and she's handing these out to people, you know, so I think some of them just believe like, eventually, when this is valued, I'll finally be rich. You know. It's that's part of the whole big idea that like, uh, there's a change coming and it's going to completely alter my financial situation, and that that makes you kind of want to have.
Speaker 3: To believe her. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she continues making decrees. This is like the primary way that she interacts with her followers, and as Sartagi writes, the Kingdom of Canada was guided by three basic laws. Quote number one, if you kill, you will be killed. Number two, if you kill and mass commit genocide crimes against humanity, we will take out your family and your DNA strain. We'll go back to that in a second.
Speaker 3: Three. War in division are unlawful.
Speaker 2: So if you commit crimes, we're gonna kill your family and your DNA strain.
Speaker 3: War in division are unlawful. I thought you was telling us to kill the doctors. Yeah, that's the Yeah, you got to kill the doctors. But you can't divide people. Prop that's unlawful. No dividing people.
Speaker 2: Kill all the doctors and the nurses, and the school divisions and the business, but don't divide people, you know.
Speaker 3: Don't cut off your DNA strand again.
Speaker 4: YEA, feel like that's got to be a translation issue because I'm like, I don't think do you you might actually mean that because you're an alien.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: She does describe her office, the Royal Office of Queen Romana, to be the highest court in the land, and thus all Canadian lawyers are now defunct because they have their members of the British Accreditation Registry as opposed to, you know, the real judicial system that she, I guess hasn't gotten around to building yet, you.
Speaker 3: Know, commits a bit homie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in January of twenty twenty two, Romana's like tour of Canada really takes off in a big way. She's got about a dozen followers. She's got a group of RVs and they start traveling, you know, initially into like downtown Ottawa, but after that point they just kind of continue going right, Like she's meeting people at various small towns. She's expanding her conception of like what's you know, my powers are. She's making declarations as to martial law, and they're just kind of like driving constantly.
Speaker 3: She's taking it.
Speaker 2: She's taken in six figures at this point, well over one hundred and forty thousand dollars in donations. It's unclear exactly how, but that's what's got to pay for everything, because they're RVs are not cheap to drive, right, and she's got to continue like paying for that. She's got to pay for uniforms for her people, as we'll talk about, Like there's a lot of there's a lot of expenses.
Speaker 3: Due to this. So who who's who?
Speaker 2: She's got like seventy thousand people on telegram, so some things. Some of them are getting our money, you know, and it only takes a few. And she's also got a couple of her followers that are in person followers. She's completely soaking, like they're signing over everything to her, right, like she's she's doing that thing too.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: As twenty twenty two goes along, she's the road trip Queen of Canada. She's issuing these these declarations, but she starts to expand what she's offering her followers, because you know, grocery lists and fake money only go so far. What people really want is magical powers. And in August of twenty twenty two, she announces that she has started teaching her followers powers to her followers.
Speaker 3: She gets on.
Speaker 2: Basically, she makes a video saying that like, I've started teaching people, you know, given an intensive class and how people can think like me and act like commander in chief. So I'm teaching them all how to run a country if that's ever necessary. I'm teaching them how to like take hostages and negotiate, which is not a great sign for your cult. Per Christine Starteghi. Didulo also said she's teaching her core followers how to cloak and uncloak themselves and how to use high level technologies, including five G that Digito claims will allow her trainees to see through the walls of buildings and homes. She contends that all science fiction movies and television series are disclosures, documentaries, and diaries. Both the television series Star Trek and the movie The Tomorrow War seems to have had an unusually strong influence on Digitlo. The Tomorrow War is her life storyline. Perhaps have you ever seen The Tomorrow War?
Speaker 3: No? No one did, No one did.
Speaker 2: I'm sure someone in the audience to watch The fucking Tomorrow War, but statistically you didn't.
Speaker 3: No idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Great, great, It's a twenty twenty one sci fi movie starring Chris Pratt in which soldiers from the future come back to the present day to warn humanity that in the future we're losing a war against alien invaders, and so they need to draft the whole present day military to go back to the future and fight them.
Speaker 3: And then when we run out.
Speaker 2: Of present day military, they just start drafting regular people to go to the future.
Speaker 4: I think I purposefully said watch this.
Speaker 3: Nah, they don't sound good. I was like, anything to watch this, I know on board. But you lost me at Chris Pratt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you lost me at Chris.
Speaker 2: So it grossed about twenty million dollars in theaters from a budget of two hundred million or so. So it does not do well. People are People Are like the writer and director of this movie are dragged out into the street and shot in downtown Hollywood.
Speaker 3: It is such a failure.
Speaker 2: But Queen Romana loves this movie because she idolizes the Queen Alien like the bad guy of the movie. I think, I haven't seen this fucking movie. But the aliens are called the White Spikes, and the Queen of the White Spikes is stronger than all of the males of her species, and Ramana seems to really really vibe with this, Okay. Sarteeshi ties this movie to Romana's belief in something called DNA X, which she describes as God's tool that she plans to release to every living all caps I AM in the world to go back to that weird little cult that we started this with. Dang, I don't know what this means as best as I can tell, I think because the original I Am movement was based on this guy, this fucking dude hundreds of years ago who'd claimed to be immortal and all knowing because of magic, and the im movement was like, no, there's all these it's actually like this divine there's this set of tactics that you can find. It is still quasi a cult, and she's taking basically those claimton saying no, no, it's not the occult. You can have all of these powers by alien DNA technology.
Speaker 3: That will make you look walk and all knowing. Right.
Speaker 2: I think that's the gist of it. It's a little unclear to me exactly what she believes because it's silly, but that's because what's the handle, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, because what the hell?
Speaker 2: Two is spent largely on the road and a caravan of RVs, one of which was gifted to her and several of which were printed. The exact makeup of her COLT shifts rapidly at this point. For one thing, formerly loyal members don't last forever, right, Like, people find this and think that it's a good idea, and then she starts to be a crazy asshole to them, and eventually they have enough and they're like, this isn't fun anymore, and they belki.
Speaker 4: It right, other people get what I need the water turned on, Okay, right.
Speaker 2: I'm tired of not having watering. Yeah, So people will leave, but other people will come in. So there's kind of and it's never large. The in person following is never bigger than like much bigger than like a dozen people, but there is some like people will leave, people will come in. That's sort of happening, right. She's also purging people for making mistakes periodically, which keeps the numbers down. She has at this point by the time twenty twenty two rules around her followers have uniforms. These are generally white button up shirts with the Queen Romana logo and blastened on them. Often adorned with official medals that she awarded in her capacity as Canadian Commander in Chief, right, like, and these are because like the question whenever you've got one of these people handing out medals is like.
Speaker 3: Okay, what kind of metals are these? Are you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are these fake military medals? Are these like bottle calfs? Like what are we looking at here? And as best as I can tell, I think that these are, at least from what I have read. And I think this is mac Lamoreau who made this claim, and I'm sure he's right. These are like mostly boy scout medals like these are like boy Scout awarts.
Speaker 5: Love it, love it, change nothing, it's it's it's good stuff. Yeah, dude, how come nobody in this whole situation was like can I meet a like a prince or like like you ain't got no like accountant like this whole like I ain't never met nobody else in this kingdom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like does anybody work for you?
Speaker 2: You're the only one who believes you're the queen? And I guess the people who live in this RV and the handful of folks that we meet traveling, you know, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: None of them are a part of your court, Like who, yeah, where's the rest of your administration?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's the rest of this doesn't feel like a government again. That's that gets down to the hole. I think there's a lot of like play acting. You know, it takes you to tango with something like this. I do want to show you, guys these uniforms because they're not as elaborate as they might sound. From what I it's mostly she's just got people wearing like white shirts with fucking metals and stuff on them. But yeah, like those and those are as soon as I saw peopre like, yeah, those do look like boy Scout metals. Look like boy Scout metals.
Speaker 3: That's not a uniform, and those are boy Scout medals. Yeah, they're just all dressed in white.
Speaker 6: They look a little look like a golf caddies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they look like he's got his all access pass on, like and you can see behind him.
Speaker 2: As an r V that has like meet and greet her Majesty Queen Romana, YadA YadA YadA like that. This is this is how they drive around their Their RVs are also billboards. He's got his finger pointed up at the sky, which is a thing that all of her followers do. I think they took this from this is a thing in like the Muslim world, like you'll see, like it basically means that, like, you know, God's in charge right all right, Like that's the idea at him. I don't know if that's what it means to her for her followers to.
Speaker 3: Do that, but they are.
Speaker 2: That is the gesture they're doing, and that's I'm sure that's where it can imagine must have just seen it on TV or something and liked it.
Speaker 3: Dang, imagine being that guy and then now you're like, that's on the internet forever.
Speaker 2: That's on the internet forever. You in this uniform with like whatever fucking id she made for you hanging around your neck and your boy Scout awards for being the best special boy in the cult whatever. Damn, Like one day that's he's Because the guy in this is pretty young. He looks like he's in his twenties, maybe thirty. Like if he doesn't have kids, he very well might one day and some day they're gonna find that, Hey, dad, are you in a uniform? What are these awards? Is that Let's say the Queen of Canada's RV. Let me tell you a story about the time Dad made a mistake. Queen did youulo was incredibly is incredibly serious about her schedule, and one of the worst things you can do if you really want to get kicked out of this cult, the easiest way to do it is to cost her time, because that is a capital offense. Corey, one of her form inner circle members, lost his position after a series of minor errors, including booking an RV to be picked up at five pm instead of four pm. The Queen called this treason and threatened to have him executed. She'd done this numerous times before, and mac Lamora notes that the methods varied from quote being shot in the head or thrown from a helicopter. So she's saying, like, I'm going to have my men shoot you in the head. I'm gonna throw you out of a helicopter because you made me wait an hour to get in my new RV that you rented.
Speaker 3: Forticulous. I am royalty. Yeah, I need to borrow this RV. Right.
Speaker 2: She justifies these punishments to the rest of our followers by saying, nobody controls my timeline. Anybody that screws up my timeline is going to be tried for treason and shot in the head.
Speaker 3: Except for.
Speaker 2: Right, they might have more control over your timeline here, but you know who won't have you tried for treason and shot in the head?
Speaker 3: Prop hey better not better not sponsored this podcast.
Speaker 2: Very rarely have people shot in the head, you know. I'm not going to say never. I'm not going to say never. Might be doing an ad. They've definitely had some people shot in the head, you know.
Speaker 6: But can you stop naming brands.
Speaker 2: Please, Sophie one knows they've had some people shot in the head. It's fine, we don't. We all keep drinking the soda. It's okay.
Speaker 3: The soda can literally clean your car battery and we still drink it.
Speaker 1: Please believe the name of the brand.
Speaker 2: No, don't know what it is when when prompt said it eats car batteries, now you have to keep the bit. But still anyway, here's ads and we're back. You're killing me, Yeah, baby, we might and everybody.
Speaker 3: Just like I mean you, you're doing numbers. We might.
Speaker 4: We might want that that sponsor money. Though they did invent the visual description as.
Speaker 2: So as I noted earlier, Corey and Daisy were foundational cult members. Romana wouldn't have gotten this crazy train off the ground without them, and this did not stop her from abusing them relentlessly. The people you are most reliant on are the people you're going to be most shitty on if you're this kind of cult leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in fact, the fact that they were so useful and key may have encouraged her to abuse them. Maybe she felt kind of insecure that she needed them so much, and she she was really trying to keep them beaten down. I don't actually know, but the two were doing a lot. They went from managing her telegram channels to becoming her bodyguard, mechanic and secretary. Daisy was also the Royal Bank account, setting up fundraisers and taking donations on behalf of the Queen. Didulo made impossible demands regularly to these people, and whenever money came up short or the built in limitations of technology thwarted her, whims of the moment, she would bully Daisy, who later said the abuse was NonStop. It was never ending, no proper meals, you know, no sleep, she continued, She did care. She said, if you work for the Queen, you work for the queen, you volunteered to be here. Why are you complaining? And like she's got a little bit of a point, She's she's got a little a point. Yeah, Like why do you have to be here? You knew what you were You should have known what you were getting into with this this dumb bullshit, Like come on now, like you know what you were getting into?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 6: We have any idea how old this married couple Daisy and I've forgotten the name of.
Speaker 2: Guessing they were mature adults, probably in middle aged. Maybe we'll pass it a decent number of but they're not all. Some of them are pretty young. I don't actually know they're they're like age range, but you know they're they're old enough to know better. Yeah, yeah, sure. So during her months with the Queen, Daisy estimates that she lost between ten and fifteen pounds. Mark Lammereau, who interviewed a number of former followers, describes the degree of troll the Queen exercised over the day to day lives of her immediate tribe as pretty extensive. People would have to ask her for permission to even shower, which she periodically denied some individuals for days at a time.
Speaker 6: And why is that a Thingermber, It's pretty normal cult leaders.
Speaker 2: It's control over their bodies, over even like their ability to clean themselves. You're you're practicing, you know.
Speaker 3: You're in such closing in the RV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Such close quarters and your punishment as that everybody has to smell, numbers and stink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy. Well she's not.
Speaker 2: She's the the r V where the people stay. It's different from the Queen's r V.
Speaker 3: True of Oh I forgot, she got the royal RV.
Speaker 2: Okay, she sometimes had a separate RV just to use as a bathroom.
Speaker 3: This lady has figured some out.
Speaker 2: Uh huh again, she is living well based on her previous life. She's doing really good.
Speaker 4: In relation to Yeah, but that's weird. Body control about smell. I feel like I would want people to smell amazing in front of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm royal. If I'm royal, it's three showers a day, y'all.
Speaker 2: C Yes, it's just about exercise and control. If you can get them to do that, you can get them to do anything, you know. True, and Romana spends most despite claiming that she's she's taking back Canada.
Speaker 3: She's the rightful ruler.
Speaker 2: All of her time has spent managing her followers, this very small number of in person. That's what she does her most of them right, right, And that's most of her work is keeping these people busy, you know, keep these people too busy and too beaten down to leave or to realize that like they're in, like how fucked up the situation. Is part of how she does this is she she hands up every morning. The day starts with her gathering everyone together and issuing them their tasks for the day. And we're talking a mix of stuff, like we're all living in RV's, so there's waste tanks that have to be emptied, there's water tanks they have to be refilled, there's food that has to be purchased. But there's also bullshit work, like we need new signs for the vehicles. I need someone to print out a bunch of these fake money things to hand out at the next stop. Right, And she's the point of this is there's some stuff that has to get done. There's a lot of busy work. What's most important, though, is that she's keeping everyone busy all day. People would regularly work sixteen hours at a time. But she's keeping the busy doing mostly bullshit tasks or like petty work tasks that they don't get anything done.
Speaker 3: They're not there.
Speaker 2: They came here to be part of this crusade to fix Canada, and all they're doing is like maintaining the caravan and handling bullshit work for her, printing stuff out or making new signs or whatever and so. And this is something former members will say, It's like I felt like I worked all the time and nothing ever got done.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you're just running a how cold? Running a Kinko's just too.
Speaker 2: Basically you think you think about it, this isn't so unique to her. It's it's shabbier and sadder because this is just like ten people or twelve people living in a series of RVs. But that's what scientology is, right, that's the whole point. And you have, yeah, you have the Sea Org and you have all these people, these auditors doing It's that you have petty work and tasks to keep the people who are full time members of the cult constantly working, right, You want them always using up their energy, otherwise they're going to put that energy towards maybe realizing that they're in a fucking cult, you know. And Didulo's goal was to make sure everyone's exhausted and working all the time so they don't have time to plot against her. One good example of this would be the account of a cult member who claims Romana made her wake up at four am to turn on her hotel coffee maker. She would do stuff like this, demand people do very basic tasks for her. Yeah, that shouldn't even be necessary, just because it's an exertion. It's her use exercise and control.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, that's that's that's some bully gang stuff right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life inside the cult on the road sounds like living hell to me. Here's one description of how Romana liked to start off their days. Per an article advice quote, every morning, at six or seven am, the queen would play her favorite song, disco supergroup bony m smash hit Rasputant, about the well endowed Russian mystic of the same name. Often, the funky vibes would last an hour. Once Didjulo played Rasputant for the entire duration of a ten hour drive while her staff just sat and listened. Her followers even recorded their own version of the song with lyrics about her, and.
Speaker 3: It's the worst anti ever, Like, yeah, oh man.
Speaker 2: It's all like ten hours a fucking rasp buttant and I love that song. It's a great, it's a great. It's a banger of a hit, don't get me wrong, But ten hours of that and her obsession with it is so weird. Like there's a I'll pull up, there's a like you should actually hear her followers version.
Speaker 3: Of Respue Me Too. I was going to be my next request.
Speaker 2: So if you want to, if you listen in check in to the QAnon Anonymous episodes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's the second one about Ramana that has with mac Lamreau that as the actual audio of the song. I don't want us to get copyright struck, and I'm kind of worried that we might, especially what with the Netflix thing going on. So I'm just gonna actually sing you the lyrics, So you're gonna get to listen to me sing yes as best as I can recall in tune to the original song resputin by Boney m Okay, Are we ready?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, there lives a fearless Queen Romana.
Speaker 3: Did you low?
Speaker 2: She may seem quite small, but she's oh so powerful. When communists a mess to subjugate her peeps, She's summoned allied forces to obliterate. Queen Romana lives for we the people. Strong, benevolent and just. She's discreet, lee waking, sleeping people, daily building trust. Rah Rah Romana, Precious Queen of Canada. She's taken names and she's kicking ass. Rah Rah Romana, Precious Queen of Canada. Please hop on board or get off the bus. And there's a lot more to it. There's a fun line. She's liberating earth with wisdom and with grace. But if her RV's rockin', she is dancing late, That's that's weird. That's a weird line to that's weird in them. Kind of makes me wonder if there's some weird sex stuff going on.
Speaker 3: I don't know. But yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, Yeah, beautiful stuff, beautiful stuff. We all love to see people repurposing Boney M's work for the good of the world.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, as you might expect.
Speaker 2: Hearing hours and hours of the song raspute and played over and over again. Even though that song's kind of a banger, might lead some people in the colt to wonder like, well, as Corey put it, oh my fucking lord, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: What the hell?
Speaker 2: Yes, she's yelling we got a war people, time to get up and dancing around like a lunatic. So this start does start to wear short on some people. The ridiculousness is kind of hard to continue to uh stretch your sense of disbelief towards. One former member of the group told Weiss that one day he took one of their RVs out to do errands, like there were parts that they needed to pick up, I think for like their streaming rig. They needed to get food for dinner, so this was stuff he needed to do. But he didn't get Queen Romana's permission beforehand, like he didn't double check with her. I can take the RV out, I have to go on an errand, and she exploded at him, relieving him of duty, alongside the members who had left in the RV with him, just firing a bunch of her cult members and saying, you can't split up the convoy otherwise our military is.
Speaker 3: Going to shoot you.
Speaker 2: Okay, where where's the military that's going to shoot you?
Speaker 3: When the military?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, what military? And the former member who gets kicked out is that guy named Cowan who was He was disturbed at how distraught one of the one of the cult members was that she fires that like this, he's kind of I think done with it at this point when she fires him, he's like.
Speaker 3: Good, I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: But this lady's like losing her mind, weeping and stuff. Quote she really thought it was her destiny to be there. And I think that that's gets that really gets something important. I try to emphasize a few times. Some people are begging to be in a cult, right. They are desperate for any kind of meaning, right, yea, even this, even something that it's something, it's more meaningful, go to work and pay your bills, right yeah, anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something important. Nah.
Speaker 4: That's now we're getting at something because to weep for about this rather than being like, yeah, this game is trash.
Speaker 2: This is this was fucked up from the beginning, and it just it's said, there's something like almost physically painful to some people at being cut off from this when you finally found it, right, when you finally found the thing that gives you a sense of belonging and you get kicked out of it, like that's.
Speaker 3: Like losing a limb.
Speaker 2: Cohen, though, is you know, he's fed up by the time he gets fired, and so he takes his personal video and recording equipment with him. He's one of the guys who knew how to do things, who joined the Cold and the Queen is not happy about this. She gets on telegram, she declares him a thief. She claims he's kidnapped other staff who left with him. She posts videos of Cohen along with his picture and links to his social media. She calls him a devil worshiper, and she sentences him to death, and her followers, you know, attack him with as much zealousness as they attacked all of the other enemies of the group.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One follower posted, he will not survive what is coming. Another added that Cohen was quote a fan of Satan and a trader, and another wrote maybe he should be the first to hang publicly for all the other traders to see what to expect. So that's kind of a blister of at least things that are adjacent to death threats.
Speaker 3: And all Cohen could.
Speaker 2: Do was sort of hunker down to avoid the storm. I didn't answer a single phone call, but my phone was constantly blowing up with telegram messages and text messages. Then a few people found my personal Facebook page and commented randomly on some posts. One of them like a six year old woman who looks really nice, and she was like, you it will burn what, Well, it's just the amount of rage when you tell people like this your bullshit game that has become the entire core of your like life.
Speaker 3: This is all the only thing that excites you.
Speaker 2: This is like, this is your friend group, this is you're addicted to this, and this guy doesn't believe it. He left even though he actually just got fired. Like, yeah, you get enraged, and a part you're kind of taking out your anger at the rest of the world on this person because at some level they all know this isn't real, right, and that makes them pissed. So, as you might get from some of this, Romana's not wildly loyal to her cult members, and in fact, she is so unsatisfied with the quality of her first band of cult members that she fires them all. This is one of my favorite things about her story. It also kind of hints at the weird resilience of her grift. From what I can tell, it sounds like the breakdown started because she was planning to extend her road trip into the United States and a desperate attempt to avoid going back to her normal life and to try to get some of that American money.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But some of her followers, including Cordy and Daisy, had children, and we're like, well, we're just going to Ottawa and then you like wanted to drive around for a few months, and we were down with that, but we can't do this forever. And so Raman is like, well, if you have kids, simply have moved them in with your family and then abandon them for the cause. And a few of her followers have kids and they're like, what, Okay, I didn't think that's what we were doing.
Speaker 4: This yu guys abandoned shit out man, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: So this is all coming to a head as the caravan makes its way into Newfoundland, which is not a heavily populated part of Canada, and they're kind of in the middle of nowhere of Newfoundland, which is itself kind of the middle of nowhere. And the day after she makes everyone listen to Rasputin for ten hours while driving through the middle of nowhere Canada, right, they're stopped, they're all tired. She probably keeps them up late, and then she wakes everyone up early, playing her fucking rasputant song and yelling about how there's a war on and says, everyone, skip breakfast, we got to start driving right now. And Corey and Daisy have finally had enough and they closed the door in her face and they're like, no, we're going to sleep, like we're not getting up yet and we're gonna eat, and Queen Didulo just leaves them. She abandons almost it sounds like pretty much all of her staff two thousand miles away from her homes, takes the RVs so that's like rent cars to get home, and declares them traders and warns them to watch your backs right, just leaves them in Newfoundland.
Speaker 3: Traiders all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's smelling her own stuff way too much, man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, not long after that, in August of twenty twenty two, Queen Didulo carries out her next major real world endeavor. This is in a town called Peterborough, where she has gotten been convinced for a while and been ranting for a while about like the police in Peterborough and how they're enforcing COVID mandates and whatnot. They're they're corrupt, We're gonna do a citizens erect all that good stuff, right Like that's this is all kind of like and it's a little hard for me to tell, like why she focuses specifically on this small town. I think maybe some of it is just that, like, well, this was like a small enough town that maybe she thought it would work. Some of it is that one of her followers, this guy Frank Curtin, lives in the town and he starts like he organizes like a mass event to do a citizen arrest of all these police. So I think it may have just been that, like she had a follower who was like, no.
Speaker 3: It'll work if we do it here.
Speaker 2: You know they have there's this they've got this meme going on that's like they're calling the police chief the retire borough police chief, because they're trying to get him to retire and threatening to arrest him if he doesn't. To quote from Sarteghi's piece about Frank Curtin. Curtin is one of Digulo's most art and supporters and provides a useful example of an active agent curtain came to believe in Digulo's ideas after parting ways with his employer a part approximately one year before the Peterborough event. Problems between Curtin and his employer. When his employer received funds from the government to boost the manufacturing of hand sanitizer as part of the fight against COVID nineteen. Curtin considered this government funding suspicious. He believes that COVID nineteen is fake and that his employer had collected that money illegally. These conspiratorial beliefs then allegedly led to Curtain's departure from the company. After leaving the company, Curtin began regularly serving Digelos ceased and desist orders to public officials. He then specifically targeted Police Chief Scott Gilbert of the Peterborough Police Department. Curtin was upset about not receiving from the police Chief Gilbert what Gilbert deemed to be an appropriate response to his complaint about his employer's supposed illegal activities. Curtin recorded himself serving a cease and desist order upon Chief Gilbert and posted the video on his YouTube channel. Right, so, yeah, this is a really good example of how these kind of things snowball, right, this is not a guy who's living with the caravan. He starts just serving her cease and assists, but she's following him. He's posting as he's in the telegrams, he's putting these up. He's talking about a corrupt the police are. Roman is like, oh, this might be useful. So she starts some memes about retire, you know, the police chief, and we're going to arrest all of them, and it just becomes an increasing thing to her followers. And this kind of makes it inevitable that there's going to be a showdown in Peterborough, right, Like they're gonna have to do something there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, This goes from funny to annoying to like, okay, you have to stop, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah, And we're gonna talk about what happened next, but first, ads, we're back. So this guy, Frank Curtin has becoming gotten you know, as a result of getting fired and losing his mind over like COVID stuff, both lost his job and is increasingly becoming unhinged. He's fallen into this rabbit hole of didulo stuff, and he's gotten obsessed with Chief Gilbert, his town's police chief. He's posting videos about how like there's this plane that he'll see flying every now and then that he believes the police chief is flying above his house to like fuck with him specif. So this is not a well man, right, This is really not a well man. And he's incredibly angry about like the vaccines and the police are showing up at like vex to protect vaccine sites because of crazy people like Frank Curtin, right, And so this all comes to a head in August of twenty twenty two, which is when Queen Didulo's caravan shows up in Peterborough for her next major real world endeavor. She's gathered around forty of her followers and she's told them these officers and their chief are all complicit in COVID crimes and we're going to arrest them. And so they show up in this town and she attempts to arrest the entire police department. Frank Curtin starts by announcing today we are going to turn the members of the Peterborough Police Station over to the US Special Forces military, the Canadian military, and the Global Military Alliance will pick them up once we detain them. The who, well, it makes a lot of sense problem. It's the US Special Forces military, regular military. They're not involved, but the regular Canadian military is involved them of course, the Global Military Alliance. They're all going to show up after we arrest them. They can't arrest the cops themselves, all the militaries in the world, they don't have to. We the people do that, but then they'll detain them once we the people have detained them. In response, the police use one of the most dastardly tricks. Right These people show up outside of the police station. They say they're going to arrest them, and the cops lock the door, just like, eh, not dealing.
Speaker 3: With this right now. Let's see if they go away. I'm almost all.
Speaker 2: Today, so Didilo is reduced for a while to heckling them over a bullhorn, demanding the police turn themselves in. Eventually, the police reinforcements arrive. One man tells them they're under arrest, and the cops are like, no, I mean, like, you're actually under arrest.
Speaker 3: We are are the cops. We have like the guns and stuff. Yeah, you're just got to be guys. Were really some RVs behind you? Yeah, but you're not cops.
Speaker 2: You are definitely not cops. The Guardian summarizes what happened next. Speaking to supporters over a megaphone, Digitlo fired up the small crowd, but fled to her RV when scuffles with the police. Bagan and some of her disciples were arrested. She was somebody who was boosting this effort and was very much in favor of it until it went south, in which case she threw all of her followers under the bus. She's very big on self preservation, clearly, a quote from one of the observers. Yeah, six people were arrested, two with assaulting a police officer, but there were no charges for the queen, and so her mery road trip continued. She gathered another gaggle of a dozen or so followers. Together she bought a sixty two thousand dollars RV with some of the donated money, and had another RV donated to the cause. Wow, and she attempted at this point. I do think though she's starting to see it's expensive to drive around all the time. I want to settle somewhere, but I can't get I still am not willing to go back to my normal life, which is when she finds a small town called Richmond in twenty twenty three, and she finds this because one of the guys who lives in the town has bought Richmond had a school. But it's a very small town, right, and it's one of those things. The school becomes defunct, you know, Okay, I think because they're just like, aren't enough people to keep it going. Yeah, and there's this local guy who's become a follower of her cult, or at least a partial follower of her cult, who buys, who's like purchased the school and the land that it's on, and he invites them to come over and like move in basically like, hey, like you can live in this old school that I technically own and live in Richmond, this tiny ass, little small tan candid like a good life.
Speaker 3: Don't sound royal fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's a mix of problems. For one thing, there's a couple of people in town who believe her, so, like at least one Richmond resident told W five News that her father stopped paying his bills because Digulo said so. But a lot of people are just unhappy about it. For one thing, Yeah, they've been kicked out of at least one town prior to this where like they showed up and were trying to set up shop there, and like the mayor and a bunch of the local residents had it out from and like ran them out of town by banking it a really uncomfortable place for them to live. Yeah, and they try to do that in Richmond. A lot of people do. There's a lot of complaints, there's local government meetings about it. But they're not quite able to kick them out of Richmond with the speed that they want to because in part they have a really good thing going. They have this whole school that they can live in that they're turning into like their government headquarters. So they don't they don't want to.
Speaker 4: Go yeah right, Yeah, they got some progress.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I think there's also she's starting to lose followers by this point, she's not at her height. So I think there's this understanding that like, well, I may be near the end of this scrift from the beginning, and I want to settle down somewhere where like we've got a stable place to live and whatnot. Like maybe that's the and man's who's the guy who's bought them to the property is also just kind of somebody who's he's like a right wing crank who hates COVID nineteen vaccine, and so some of this is just I think he hates everyone around him and wants to piss them off. Yes, this is a huge issue in Richmond for a while, right, there's protests. Some people do go a little bit overboard and being paranoid about the cult too, but I understand basically they don't want these people fucking up their little down, right, that's weird. And she starts making claims and the cult as that like, well, there's a lot of us. If we all become residents, you know, we can vote in local elections and shift the elections they're kind of doing, like what that cult and Antelope, Oregon did that. Yeah, Wild Wild Country died. Yeah they're talking about it. Right, So this also really pisses off people like I don't want my tiny town to be taken over here by these weird assholes, right, Yeah, it just sounds like, yeah, kind of shitty. So you know, this goes on for I think like a year and change, and it only really hit there's like kind of an inflection point that came recently where a bunch of them got arrested very recently, Like this is yeah, yeah, fucking finally right in September, like the fall of twenty twenty five, she gets arrested, and it's it's kind of some bullshit. She doesn't get arrested for any of the actual like really fucked up shit that she does. Yeah she arrested, Yeah, right, Like she gets arrested. It's that it's just like they don't arrest her for the actual bad stuff. They arrest her for like intimidating four people, including a police officer, and uh like basically for intimidating people in town as opposed to be the time she tried to get people killed or tried to all those police arrested, or got people to stop paying their bills. It's like kind of like witness intimidation. Almost ed you for being weird. They rested her for being weird, and she's you know, she live streams the arrest. There's this satisfying moment where the officers are like, leave the phone here.
Speaker 3: Under her arrest.
Speaker 2: They part of what it prompted the the RCMP to rate in the first place was that there were pictures of guns from inside the property. But they turned out to be replica handguns. I don't know how far this case is going to go. There's a good chance she gets fucked over just because she is representing herself, which is a bad decision. So she might go herself over here. But the charges aren't super crazy, right, Like she's not getting charged with most of the actual bad cult leader stuff. Maybe she'll successfully fund raise off of this. We don't really know where things are going to go from here, right, But no, there's not a body count other than that cat. Maybe it's a pretty tame story, right, It's just I thought it was fun. I thought we'd all have some fun man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Stuff.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, like you don't make fun of like people who fall into colts because, like you said, you know glasshouses and stones and all that you know.
Speaker 3: And then on.
Speaker 4: The other hand, it's like, bro, you stop paying your utilities and that wasn't I feel like I can make fun of you for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now there is a nice little PostScript to this cult because we don't know what's gonna happen with Romana. But I do want to talk for just a second about the King of America David Carlson.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, please.
Speaker 2: Because he did crop up a year or two ago, and people started talking to him, and at first he was very positive towards Romana, and then he kind of soured on her and he started making it clear like, oh, I didn't say she was the queen. I said she was like in the running to be the queen. Like she might be right, that's not what I'm say. Had a break right, And there's a I want to read. I'm just gonna read the start of this this Vice article about him because it has a really funny opening. Wearing a Florida Gators T shirt, an Arizona man in his mid forties attempts to convince the hundreds of thousands of conspiracy theorists watching his laptop live stream that he's the real leader of the United States. King David Carlson explains that he still has a few million people to take out before he's finally done with his plan installing QAnon kings and queens around the.
Speaker 3: World, around the world. Great.
Speaker 2: He claims, they've replaced Joe Biden was taken out on election day. We've replaced sheriffs and other leaders you know, and where we and he's been appointing a lot of kings. He's appointed a king to the Kingdom of Britain, which I think already has a king. Is king's the Kingdom of Sweden, which I think already has a king. There's a King of New Zealand, which I don't think had a king.
Speaker 3: He was Maori.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a Minister of North Carolina. There's a Queen Helen Edwards of the Kingdom of Australia. And then there's her Excellency Karen Minister of New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Obviously. Oh these guys are They're so wonderful, man, Yeah, they're great. This is fun. They're great.
Speaker 2: My favorite is that since Queen Romana has fallen out of the King's favorite, she's no longer the Queen of Canada, but he has appointed a new Queen of Canada, the bec woman who was a follower of Queen Romana and wrote a fan poem about her, but has now been appointed the real Queen of Canada. And so I guess took the throne and a coup of some sort.
Speaker 3: This is great, yeah, and there's a great I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 2: The last thing I'll show you is I want to show you the Royal Seal of I think who we can all agree is a better pick for Queen of Canada, Queen Charmaine. And I just I just love this. I love this Queen, Queen Charmain of Canada. First of her name, it's like a pink log with a with a very air brushed face of a blonde wild Queen Charmain's Yeah, natural laws, zero politics, royal decrees, benevolent monarchy.
Speaker 3: It's like if mar.
Speaker 6: A Lago face and Toddler's and tiaras.
Speaker 3: This is, this is she does on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Who shouldn't be on Instagram keeping all them filters on her face?
Speaker 2: Yep ye wow, Queen Charmaine, thanks for sharing, Robert Well, I know for for my part, I now have am declaring my allegiance to Queen Charmaine.
Speaker 3: You know I will take.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, all right, Queen Charmaine. It is everyone all right, as long as as long as I can shower. Listen, sure she looks like she showers.
Speaker 3: All I gotta say is.
Speaker 4: Listen to politics, but please politics prop with more.
Speaker 3: It is foolishness. Oh my gosh, mm hmm, my lord, thank you, thank you for this. I needed this really refreshing.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Robert.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, this as I ain't gonna hold you like just for.
Speaker 4: Go to hell.
Speaker 6: I love you. Is that what you said, Robert?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say that sometimes.
Speaker 6: That's nice. All right, Bye bye. Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Full video episodes, but Behind the Bastards are now streaming on Netflix, dropping every Tuesday and Thursday. Remind me of Netflix. You don't miss an episode. For clips in our older episode catalog, continue to subscribe to our YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash at behind the Bastards. We love about forty percent of you, sickly speaking,