Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, Nick writes about to stop in and I guess we'll have to talk about the Kansas City Chiefs going to the super Bowl again. But before we start and talk with Nick, let's talk about the game Time app. Grab your smartphone. Download the game Time app. Like all apps, takes less than ninety seconds. If you want to go to one of these football games, download game Time. Use the code colin coli N twenty bucks. If you put in colin off your first purchase on the game Time app. It's a fast and easy way to buy tickets to games, concerts, theater and comedy shows. Game Time has deals on tickets right up to the game and in fact an hour after it begins. How about that? And if you find tickets in the same section or row for less, game Time will credit you one hundred and ten percent of the difference. Take the guesswork. Take the guesswork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, create an account. The code is colin co l I N twenty bucks off your first purchase. Terms apply download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest prices guaranteed. All right, Nick, Right, we do this on Tuesdays. It comes out on Wednesdays. We do close to an hour. We talk about a lot of stuff we don't normally talk about, you know, on the show, which I like. Nick has an updated I can see an updated lighting scenario set up here for the podcast. Sometimes it's got, you.
Speaker 3: Know, sometimes I forget.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I forget to clean the camera lens. Sometimes it looks like I'm in a submarine. Sometimes I'm trying to show off my wife's beautiful interior design because as we've discussed, we're both married to you know, kind of different types of artists. But then I'm told there's glare of lights and everything. So I figured, you know, I should probably just go ahead and get a real setup. So yeah, hopefully this is better for the viewers, because as everyone knows, when people are like, hey, I want to hear Nick Wright and Colin Cowherd talk, it's because they like looking at us like that's gonna to be the thing that really puts this over the top is the aesthetic. But yeah, but I'm happy to do it. I'm delighted to do it today. We can talk anything you want, we like, as we always do. But you know, kind of where my head is.
Speaker 2: So I was saying this today on the show, and I touched on it briefly after i'd had you on.
Speaker 1: Well when you're interviewed Tom Brady, Yes, right after you had me. You had a third on my basis, I know, I mean it's unbelievable. I mean, hell of a leadoff, but go ahead, Sorry, we had to move you up the order a little bit. I was saying this that we judge coaches on a different scale.
Speaker 2: Matt Lafleur goes nine to eight, and I think universally we look at it and think that was a hell of a coaching job. It's the youngest team to make the PLAYOFFSS the seventy And I said this with Jim Harbaugh. Let's consider everything you're in on this distracted market that you're literally lost, and you just came from San Diego where you're playing a soccer stadium for two years. So what is success for Harball? And I said today there's a very real possibility over the next five years that to get to the Super Bowl he'd have to face Mahomes and read three times yeah and beat him in the last one. It'd be nice to at least beat him once in the first two, but that if he won a division title twice in five years and he never got to a super Bowl but lost thrilling games, it was Mahomes Herbert Harball read three times in six years. I would judge that absolutely as a successful Charger run. That Phil Mickelson's great. He would have had twelve more majors without Tiger Woods. The Utah Jazz teams were actually really, really good, you know very well the Houston Rockets. Things are shortened when you've got Magic Tiger, MJ. Lebron. How many people did Lebron keep out of the finals in the East? And then Herbaugh and Herbert have to be judged on a scale of yeah, you've got Tiger Woods in his prime here, so right.
Speaker 1: Which is why I thought it was maybe an odd job to take. I understand your point, and it's the right point, which is it was the only job available with a great quarterback. But let's talk about if the goal is to get to the Super Bowl, you probably have to go two out of three in a season against Mahomes, because if you lose both in.
Speaker 3: The regular season, you don't win the division.
Speaker 1: Very very hard to get swept by the Chiefs and go zero and two in the regular season, but then win the division, Like, how's that gonna happen? So you've got at least split in the regular season, so when you play in the playoffs, it's in your building. And that's the other sneaky thing about the Chargers is it's eight or nine road games and then eight or nine neutral site games, Like they're not gonna have a huge home field advantage, which is a really really rough position to be in, And so I don't I wouldn't necessarily hold it against them. This is why people are wondering why it took so it was so quickly. The Chiefs went to somewhat hate it in some circles, so hated that some of the dumbest people in America think the tale as old as time of super popular celebrity female dating superstar athlete is a psyop by the CIA to help get Biden reelected, Like, oh man, we got Gizzelle and Tom over on them. Let's try it again. They didn't know when it was Mickey Mantle and oh my goodness, uh, the most famous woman ever to live.
Speaker 2: On Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 1: Marilyn Monroe. We tricked them then let's try it. Run it back one more time, like give me a break. I think one of the reasons, and people are I don't think people are so sick of the Chiefs. I think they're so sick of the Patriots right.
Speaker 3: Into the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you the Patriots dynasty was twenty years and then they played the Chiefs in an AFC title game, handed them the baton, and now the Chiefs thing has started. So in the AFC colin twenty eleven to now, there have been thirteen AFC title games. All right, so twenty six teams could have played in it. Fourteen of the twenty six of the Chiefs and the Patriots there have been in the last thirteen years the thirteen Super Bowls from the AFC. Five were Tom Brady, four were Patrick Mahomes to Peyton Manning and then Flaco once and Burrow once. So if you're in the AFC, you're like, you've gotta be kidding me, Like the Patriot thing just ended, and now this thing is going on, and it just feels like you have so many If you're in the NFC, Matt Ryan gets to Super Bowl. Kurt Warner as a cardinal gets Super Bowl cam gets Super Bowl Russell Willn't you know there's almost a democracy there in the AFC.
Speaker 3: It feels like, well.
Speaker 1: I didn't have Tom Peyton or Patrick I'm drawing dead and so yeah, I do think that did they? Well, let me ask you this, where's Philip Rivers Chargers tenure successful? Do you think the fans felt it was?
Speaker 3: What did they? How did they feel?
Speaker 2: Well? It was? I said this today. Do you think San Francisco's happy with Kyle Shanahan? They have no rings. Do you think the Dolphin fans were happy with Don Shula whose last twenty two years sixteen times he didn't make the playoffs or was one and done, didn't win a playoff game in sixteen of the twenty tiers he had Dan Marino? Do you think Don Shula is no? But he was facing other great teams in their prime and so I just think you have to grade on different scales. I well, this is why I don't take I don't take championships as the be all end o. Bill Russell had eleven, Jordan's six. I mean, Dicky Simpkins had three. I mean, we got to be honest about this stuff. Is that the Utah Jazz were not a great team. They were a very good team. I don't think Jordan kept them from greatness. Why because Malone's at all Timer Stockton is and then it was kind of guys, right, like most of your great teams have three, four, five, six and so. But there are times where I think Harbaugh and Herbert we're gonna have to look at it and if they could get to a super Bowl, that is a big hurdle in the AFC.
Speaker 1: Now, well yeah, and I mean that's the right now, active starting quarterbacks who have been to a Super Bowl forget when it been to it. I'm gonna try to do up the top of my head. Obviously, Mahomes, Jimmy Garoppolo is not a starter anymore. I don't know if Russell Wilson's a starter anymore, Like he might not be. He's gonna get cut Rogers, but he's at the end. So we're talking about in their prime. So Mahomes, Burrow Stafford, there's an obvious one. I'm forgetting party now obviously, and where the list is running short, you know what I mean, Like the it is just getting there is so incredibly difficult that I agree with, which is why here's what I think does matter. I do think these guys who want to be Kevin Clark, who I know, you know your pals with, He's been on your show. I think he's great. He said that there are guys, great players whose entire NFL legacy and history is going to be thought of entirely differently just because Mahomes existed the same way what Jordan did to a lot of people in the nineties, Like we look at them as X when they should have been Why because of Mahomes. But it's also why it's so incumbent on those guys to not blow opportunities either when Mahomes trips up or before you get to him. So like Lamar is gonna get killed in the short term because of this game, and that's fair, But he didn't lose to the Texans before he got the chance, you know what I mean, Like you lost to the champ Like what I think is probably a tough one. That Wilds asked me this today off the air, like which AFC team right now is the most like Jesus, Like watching the Chiefs doing what they're doing. And I said, I wonder if in a weird way at Cincinnati I wonder if Cincinnati's thinking, man, we beat him and then had a chance to win the Super Bowl, couldn't close it out. The next year, had the ball ninety seconds left, tie game, could have beaten him again and didn't close it out. And then the next year when the Chiefs were super vulnerable, our guy gets hurt, we don't get a chance. And now the next time Burrows on the field, maybe tea Higgins in there. Do the Bengals quietly right now, think, man, our best chance is the one that we just had, and now we've got to kind of build it back up. The Bills thinking the same thing, like the Ravens in a weird way. I don't think they look at this like a massive, blown opportunity. I know it was, but they they got beaten significantly. The Chargers, I think, are just saying, we would love an opportunity to have our hearts broken. Like I know that sounds crazy, but we would love to be back playing in the games where there's an opportunity to have our hearts broken. And we look at Philip Rivers as a fringe Hall of Famer, he made the Conference Tadle game one time. Is he had Brady Peyton and Big Ben to go true and that's hard, man, that's hard.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting. We'll kind of pivot to this, the Taylor Swift thing where apparently mag is up set and people are upset with that. I did a rant today that made, you know, got a lot of play on. I gues, I guess I don't see it, TikTok and some stuff like that. Is that it's so. Here's what's weird to me. I think about this a lot. How would my wife and my daughter and my stepdaughters judge me if I was bothered by thirty seconds of Taylor Swift in a broadcast that lasts three and a half hours. Here's what I always wonder about men. They can't have strong women in their life, the fact that a man. If I went on the air and I was outraged by Taylor Swift and I had like, I have a really bright daughter and bright stepdaughters and a smart, savvy, outspoken wife. I have a sister who doesn't really follow me, but she'll get stuff on Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's my sister too, not that all interested in what I do, but sometimes get sent to her.
Speaker 2: Yep, what was the non sports stuff. But I always think of this. If you're a man and you have women in your life that you either love or respect, don't you have the self awareness to know what an f an, idiot and insecure d bag you look like being bothered by twenty four seconds of Taylor Swift shots from a box in a three and a half hour broadcast.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, Taylor Swift was shown almost to the second the same amount of time in the Chiefs Ravens game as Crabcakes were. So anyone pretending like, oh it was too much, they are projecting their own issues on it.
Speaker 3: And it is. It is partially yes, everything like that. I am.
Speaker 1: It is hard to shock me these days at the things people will get mad about.
Speaker 3: But this is shocking. Yeah, this is this.
Speaker 1: If there was ever a feel good story, it's Hey, this guy who try aside. I guess people don't like Travis because he did the commercials for Pfizer, like this is it.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nick Shaquille O'Neil and I know his agent well has taken He's done six hundred ads for a I mean he's if you ask, the answer is yes.
Speaker 3: The answer is yes, he's doing it. For the general who's.
Speaker 2: Doing he answer, they don't get commercials. He's at the end of his career and people are going, hey, will you do it for a million and a half? The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: And also, by the way, even if so, here's why. All right, I'm gonna be very honest here for a minute. I find a lot of some of the people angry about the vaccine stuff to be very intellectually dishonest. Because if the stance is, like you have said, don't do man, my body, my choice, whatever it is, so be it. But that must then also mean if Travis Kelcey's like, man, I love the fucking vaccine.
Speaker 3: I think they can save people's lives, that's right stream.
Speaker 1: From the mountaintops. Good for him, like, do whatever you want. But they hate him because of it. They hate Travis Kelcey and Aaron didn't help this situation going to mister Pize or whatever Taylor like. Shockingly, the vast majorities, a majority of pops, young pop stars throughout all of American history tend saline liberal. Now, maybe she won't in her sixties, but there's not a bunch of super popular twenty something year old musicians in American history. Who's like, man, I'm a hardcore conservative. That is not what you know what I mean what the artistic fields typically are. So these two people coming together and they just hate them. They just hate them, and they I think they hate them because they're young, they're happy, they're good looking, they're successful, and they are jealous. Guess what, everybody's probably a little jealous of Travis Kelcey and Taylor Swift. It's like, well, you got a billion five between you. He's the best ever at this. You might be the best effort that you do whatever you want, but there's a level of happy for you seems awesome. There used to be something of almost aspirational happiness on behalf of others. I feel like when people saw Brady and Giselle, there was an element of God, damn man, that's why you practice so hard in high school, like you might literally end up marrying a supermodel.
Speaker 3: Like that's and I know that's kind of you.
Speaker 2: Know, gay guy stuff, but that is part of it.
Speaker 1: Is like you you know, the the prom queen and the jock athlete and all that stuff. And I I I can't conceptualize the people who hate these people. They get angry at it, and they're angry because Taylor Swift is shown. Jason Kelsey was shown more in one playoff game, then Taylor's been shown in all of them. And I'm talking about a playoff game he played in.
Speaker 2: But go ahead well years ago. One of the really interesting pieces of advice I got years ago, And I remember where I was. It was Las Vegas and it was a warm day in the summer, and Don Logan was my boss, and I got hired at the Baseball winter meetings. I'm like twenty two years old, a out of college, twenty one, twenty two, and he had a big sales meeting to go to and it was a big one with the president. They were trying to get some money from him to buy some billboards and season tickets, and so Don said, this is a big one. I'm going to do this myself. I was really young out of college, and he said, just here's twenty bucks, go play poker. And so I sat next to a guy at the Union Plaza and he looked like he was Texas. He had just sold radio or TV stations in Texas or Arkansas, and at the time he looked rich. He had a really nice watch. He deep tan, white shirt, good looking guy with a lot of hair. This is the guy that lived like he was about probably sixty, probably drank a little too much and had too much damn fun.
Speaker 1: Without knowing what this guy looked like, I know exactly what he looked like.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why I asked this, but I've done this with older men who I think are successful in over the course of my life. Don't do it anymore, but I did at the time because now I am an older man. But I asked people when I was in my twenties and thirty thirties. We started talking about stuff, and he told me about his life and he was playing and I'm just sitting there trying to twiddle in my thumbs. I don't really play poker. And I said, this is a weird question, but if you could give me you're a really successful guy. If you could give me one piece of advice, what would it be? And he said, celebrate other people's success, not just your own, to be a much happier person and they'll remember it. And then the second thing he said. We talked after that. He said, now this is Nick. This is forty years ago, close to it, thirty five years ago. I remember the white shirt, the log I mean I remember him. He said, go up, do a test, and he says, tell somebody you make a million a year. Now at the time that was the time, that's nobody except maybe a casino owner. And he said, their reaction will tell you if they will ever make seven figures. If their reaction is no, you don't know you, he goes, they'll never make it. If their reaction is then lean in, how'd you do it? Tell me more? He goes, you're looking at a millionaire. Surround yourself with people that want to be on that journey. And so my point is the people bothered by Travis Kelcey, Giselle, Tom, Taylor Swift, those aren't successful people. They resent success, people that want to be on this journey and they just love it. Doesn't matter what you do. You don't have to be rich, but you love the journey, You love other people, your happy. They're not the ones outraged by this.
Speaker 3: So I agree with you to a degree.
Speaker 1: I think you're right that the people who didn't like Tom and Gazelle and now don't like Taylor and Travis, those people resent success. My fear is that there are a different group of people, maybe with some crossover, who were not bothered at all previously by uh Tom and Gizelle, but now have gotten so political tribalist. Yes that if I know affirmatively you are on the other political team as I hate you, I just I actively hate you, and that and that is It's like, man, I get it. I don't get the hate, but I understand if if you feel someone is constantly preaching their politics, even if you agree with them, you can be like, man, it's a bummer, you know what I mean. I'm not here for all of it. But I don't look at Travis doing the commercials as preaching politics at all. I Tailor wants every election cycle. I think sends out a link about like registering to vote, and I think she endorsed Obama. I think like eight years ago.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: If that level of like, I I'll give you an example. I if I had the opportunity to sit down with Bill Belichick, I would I'd pay money for it if I could sit down and like pick his brain, talk to him whatever it is. He doesn't preach his politics. I you know, he's at the very least buddies with Trump. I'm pretty sure like that. I think that's really aligned politically. Yeah, I know conservative, and I think he's a Trump guy.
Speaker 3: Knowing that doesn't make me be like, man, I hope.
Speaker 1: He never could shool his record. I hope he's unemployed forever. Like it's like, okay, we wouldn't talk about those things, and it is. There is just a level of anger toward and ain't not only but also what I think has to be intentional stupidity, the idea that important influential people, including people who up until a few weeks ago, we're running for president, we're on the debate stage. I was like, oh, fixes in for Kansas City and it's all the way to help Biden get reelected. I'm like, man, I'm Colin on the on my drive into and we laugh at it all right. On my drive into work Monday, the games were Sunday. Drive into work Monday, the guy driving that I'm riding with him, uh, says to me, he's like, hey, you're in sports, right, I'm like yeah. He's like, man, what do you think about all this talk about the NFL being fixed? And I'm like huh And he's like yeah, man, it's I mean it's all over the internet. He's like that the and I and that moment kind of gave me pause because I'm like, this guy clearly like was not a big sports fans, just you know what I mean, his youngest guy who's just like, man, it seems like a lot of people are saying the games are fixed, and so we can laugh at the absurdity of it, but then you wonder how many people see it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yep, I buy that.
Speaker 1: Well, this is all this whole relationships as sham and it's to help Joe Diden get elected.
Speaker 2: Does it feel like it's gotten worse over the last five years? The answer, of course is yes. Here's what I would theorize because over the last five to seven years, the best media has gone behind a paywall, and people like streaming services have a limit on paywalls. So I have about twenty five services newspapers, magazines, the Athletic twenty five and I can write it off it's my business. But so what is free Twitter? The Internet? So it is this huge group of people in America who just are tired of they go get their information from the internal.
Speaker 1: It is a and listen, I went to New House journalism was my major. This is something I don't consider myself a journalist right you know, in what I do right now, I feel like when people ask me, are you a journalist? I say no, They're like, you have a journalism degree, and I say I feel the same way as like I'm not a cyclist. I know how to ride a bicycle, but I wouldn't call myself a cyclist. I can do it, but it's not what I What I currently do is, you know, give opinions and smoke fake cigars and do silly bits, you know what I mean, Like I do the But I think journalism is super important, super important, and I think the the death of the local news local journalism is.
Speaker 3: The lack of faith.
Speaker 1: And some of this is well earned and some of this is bad actors kind of see that people have in authoritative sources and information and all of it to go along with the disintegration of local news is like a real crisis point in America. And I this will never happen, So it's just pie in the sky. But I would fully support, fully support if you could get and you could make sure it was as bipartisan people from every political stripe imaginable being involved in the process of it making sure it's true news, not opinion, just information. Uh in having what they have in other countries, which is some public funding for Hey, here's what's going on.
Speaker 3: I understand, Yes, the BBC works.
Speaker 1: I understand what people hear from that, like all states controlled media, and right.
Speaker 3: Which is it?
Speaker 1: It's the the well has been spoiled here too much to ever let that happen. But something to where it was true news, not opinion, not anything, because what what I don't think people when we talk about like the biggest stories, like and maybe you and I have talked of this before, so I apologize if I'm in reruns and move on, Like Watergate will get broken no matter what. The White House will be covered no matter what. But if you don't have a local newspaper, there's no one at the local courthouse, and there's no way, by the way, subscriber based journalism, paid journalism is worth having a court reporter. Someone go to the waterboard meetings, someone go to the school city council. Those things in small towns, and that's where the corruption starts from the slowest level. And if all of a sudden you're in immedia. You don't have to be a tiny town, just a medium sized city, you know, smaller than average town. And you're a judge that wants to be corrupt as hell on the take, and you're like, there hasn't been a reporter in my courtroom in six weeks. Yeah, well guess what do whatever the fuck I want to do?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? If you and so that is that that.
Speaker 1: Could be liberal, conservative, that could be anybody, oh one hundred percent that No, the corruption is does not have a political affiliation, It has agreed affiliation and every there and so and so. I think I think that stuff's really important, and I think it's really important that there was an accepted level of what reality is, not what you have to do, like you know, what you have to believe in, but what reality is like it should not be, in my opinion, a viable opinion held by people. And I that you know, yeah, super Bowl might be fixed because Biden's got his hand on the scale. And I think right now one in twenty people believe it, which is it sounds like not a lot. That's five percent. What's five percent of three hundred and thirty million people? That'd be seven million people. People are like, no more than that, Sorry about that. It would be uh seventeen million.
Speaker 3: People are like, yeah, that's probably it. It's humble. It's unfathomable
Speaker 1: The volume