Speaker 1: The John Nick and Kenny Florian Podcast John Annick and Kenny Florian.
Speaker 2: I fucking love him.
Speaker 3: I can't get enough of it.
Speaker 2: Let's hear that both tonight.
Speaker 4: Big job there and crank there are a couple of absolutely self involved.
Speaker 1: You're your hosts, John Nnick and Kenny Florian.
Speaker 5: Hey, what's up Monday? What's going on Monday? How's everybody doing Monday? June twenty ninth, twenty twenty six, Episode six oh one of the Antik and Florian podcasts powered by All the Smoke Fight. Thank you in advance for subscribing to the antikon Florian podcast YouTube channel. Every time I'm on the phone with Domina Cruz, somehow the number of episodes we've done comes up.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I just talked to dom a little bit because his Hall of Fame induction is coming up.
Speaker 7: Here in a few days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just some logistics in particulars on his mind. And uh, somehow his podcast came up and our podcast came up, and I mentioned episode six hundred was last week.
Speaker 7: He's like, Jesus, I'd like, I know, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: When you do it, you start to understand and comprehend how many episodes that is, But yeah, that's cool. Man Dom's podcast is going great though, great guests. Yeah, it's been good.
Speaker 7: Love and War, Yes, outstanding.
Speaker 5: So part of the reason we have this show is because of Saturday nights like or Saturdays, I guess for many of you in the States, but shows like we just had an Azerbaijan and it sort of puts things back into perspective, right. UFC Freedom two fifty was the biggest night in UFC history in many respects, certainly the biggest sporting event that I've ever called, right, But at the end of the day, right, it's about the mixed martial arts, and there was a lot of high level mixed martial arts this weekend, world class athletes competing in Azerbaijan, and I think for a lot of fans, right in this crazy Josh Hokitt world, right, kind of nice just to get back to the fighting. I don't know how much of the Azerbaijan show you watched, but I was thoroughly entertained.
Speaker 4: See, I watched a decent amount of it. Man, some really good fights, and there's a lot to talk about on my end for sure.
Speaker 5: So before Ray Longo comes on and we got Longo coming up in a half an hour.
Speaker 7: Drake is dupless.
Speaker 5: He might join us, might be training, but today sometimes when I go to try to book a fighter, like they faced on me and you know we're trying to get Drake is duplus he potentially over the course of the next hour R J.
Speaker 7: Clifford as well.
Speaker 5: But sometimes I wonder, right, how nice I have to be to Ray Longo or how much comedy I can bring to the table. He just went to Azerbaijan, right, and his fighter, whom I love as a human being. Nasim Sadakov was on the wrong side of a knockout loss in like ninety one seconds to Mateos Camilo. Right, seeing you're already you already got a fun a real tone. See this is the thing you're already like, Yeah, you know, I'm like back for Ray, right, and so I balance you out a little bit, yin and yang, right, yes, like I'm not gonna be like by nope, like by fuck right, dude.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean as a coach, you know, it's tough making that long ass flight. This is your nightmare. Like even like it's great if you win, of course, right, uh, And it's that quick. But Losing that quickly is never easy. Man, My god.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll see how Ray Longo feels about that fight.
Speaker 7: Unfortunate it may be for Team Sarah long Ago.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm just saying in terms of the comedy, and I don't do it for the show, right, but like have a little fun with Ray, you know, and these guys, you know, I know a lot of them listen to the show.
Speaker 7: You know, we're just.
Speaker 5: Having fun on a Monday, good stuff, you know. So a lot to get into from this fight.
Speaker 6: Car.
Speaker 5: We have the UFC meta rankings to discuss, and I'm wicked excited about that. We'll talk a little UFC three twenty nine McGregor versus Holloway two, which beckons here in less than two weeks, which is crazy, maybe time permitting a Liz Carmush appreciation mentioned she wont another mixed martial arts fight over the weekend, Alex Peta going in on herb Dean yet again.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, there's some headlines with Dustin Pourier, whom I consider a friend, and you know, I know there's a lot of sort of life in there and life lesson in there, But sometimes I feel like people just can't wait to talk about it for purposes of clicks. So I don't know if we're going to get into all of that, but we love Dustin very very much here on the Annak and Florian podcast. But what is the lead story? I bet Kemflo has died to know. Let's get to headlines, headlines.
Speaker 1: It's time for headlines.
Speaker 4: I have some very.
Speaker 1: Urgent and important breaking new headlines.
Speaker 2: And Kenny Sans contast.
Speaker 5: So it feels like if Kemhl was producing the show, Rafael Fhazeve would be the lead story and not the UFC meta rankings. So we'll defer to the Mixed Martial Arts today, even though I would have led with the meta rankings.
Speaker 7: So Rafael Phazive over Manuel Torres.
Speaker 5: The knockout courtesy of the spinning wheelkick and the follow up punches comes at the fifteen second mark of round two, and you know just what The doctor order doesn't even begin to describe it. It does dovetail with the rankings conversation a little bit, but uh, huge win for Rafael Fazeve of course, over the weekend man.
Speaker 4: When his offense is going, when it's flowing, it is so pretty to watch he has such an arsenal, and he's so precise and so technical when he's on his game, you know, defensively, there were some scary moments for me. But dude, I again, this is another example of how the environment or the circumstances around your fight can inspire these amazing performances. Of course, you know, I'm referring to the Justin Gaegee fight that didn't happen too long ago, of him being in that in the White House, but this is another one of him being in Azerbaijean and being inspired by the crowd and just fighting inspired and with passion and with technique and you know, really going forward. And the start of that second round to have the confidence to throw that wheel kick to the head and land it with that level of precision was just beautiful and that became the beginning of the end for his opponent. But man, he looked good.
Speaker 5: So I'm just noticing for the first time. And thanks to everybody joining us live here on the Anakin Florian podcast the stream yard comments, which is amazing. So young Mikey fifty nine to sixty eight and shoot h McGavin fifty six and the rest of you.
Speaker 7: Thanks for being here live on a Monday.
Speaker 5: So for Rafael Fhazive, I thought it was a great interview with Mackenzie pavisitch after the fact when he sort of acknowledged Justin Gaechee, and just a great way to cap what I thought was a really festive live event. And you know, this doesn't vault Phazive into immediate lightweight title contention, but it certainly puts him back in any sort of conversation. I really do like Manuel torres massive frame for the division, as you mentioned, had a moment, but uh yeah, to your.
Speaker 7: Championship set back out, no other way to describe it.
Speaker 4: Got well, that division is just ridiculous and Torres had some good spots where he landed some big shots on Phyziv and he was going forward himself but just technically couldn't keep with the offense of our physive.
Speaker 5: So we talked a lot about Rafael Phaziv's health on the front end of this fight, and I didn't hear much during fight week about his health other than that it was great. But yeah, health is wealth, right, and as you get older, I think some guys with leg injuries it's just hard to overcome. But huge result and a spinning wheel kick that earned Rafayel Phazive one hundred thousand dollars. So in terms of the rankings part of this, Rafael Phaziv was number eleven and Manuel Torres was number thirteen. Now, when the meta rankings came out Ken Flow, Rafael Fhazive was unranked, so he would have been twenty and one. Thing I think with the meta rankings that might be evolutionary would be that eventually you'll get twenty and twenty five fighters, which would be very exciting. But I know Rafael Phazev took issue with the fact that he went from eleven to unranked, But I really believe in the meta rankings and not to suggest that this is the twentieth best lightweight in the world, but he just would have taken Manuel Torres is number thirteen and put himself back in the top fifteen. Cody, I don't need the graphic right now because I'll call for it later, right, but I Faziv coming into this fight had lost four or five. The one win in there was against ignaciobau Mondez, who then went out and lost his next fight. So in this particular case, right, I know some fans took issue with this, but the wrong sort of got righted a little bit over the weekend, you know what I mean. I think the biggest mover in the ranking, Raquel Pennington, the former champ, went from number two to number fifteen, and I think it's just right. I mean, she hasn't won a fight in a couple of years, right, I don't think she's fought in a couple of years. And it's a fascinating conversation that will tie into points of our conversation today. But we congratulate Rafael Fazive what we'll see what the matchmakers do next with him. You know, char bullets six and one in the octagon, Kenny. I know sometimes maybe he's either not competing in the US, or you know, you wonder sometimes what exactly the ceiling is going to be. Unanimous decision twenty nine, twenty eight times three. A lot to sort of digest, but competitive fight, a lot of weaponry on both sides, but it is a shar bullet over Michelle Demolodor Paeda by unanimous decision of the Comin event.
Speaker 4: It survived a very scary round one, or he ran into a dart right down the middle from Padata that dropped him in of course, you know what followed was the ground and which also could have taken him out. I think Paeda probably punched himself out maybe after that first round. But what it showed to me is you know how well a fighter reacts to adversity, and Maga Medov responded extremely well. Not only did he finish the fight really well, even within that round, he came back with vengeance at the end of the round, still losing that round, of course, but came back rallied in round two. Was clearly the more active fighter. I think Round three was a little bit closer, but still was way more productive volume wise. It just seemed like he had that passion and willingness to want to win that fight, whereas Paeda's just seemed to die after round one.
Speaker 5: So there were some fouls by Sharra Bullet and some warnings by Herb Dean in the fight. I'd like to get your thoughts on that. Alex Paeda has called Herb Dean a coward and certainly some residual stuff there from his lack of action in the UFC Freedom to fifty fight againsteedle Goan for Poeton. But what did you make of the fouls and the warnings, but no point deduction, John, Not all.
Speaker 4: Fouls are created equal, like similar to you know, whatever the law has for us, Right, It's like running a stop sign, you know, stopping for a second and then slowly creeping past the stop sign is very different than you know, speeding past the stop sign at fifty miles an hour. And I think a police officer would probably treat those very differently the same way. As you get more and more deep down the rabbit hole as far as you know, breaking the law, whether you kill someone and all that stuff. If you treat all of those things the same, and you say, well, he listen, we're gonna let you go this time. Next time you're gonna be in trouble. There's a difference between accidentally hitting someone in the groin and pulling their hair on purpose. Yeah, what are we doing? Why are we treating all these fowls the same? John? It ticks me off. Yeah, And I think a lot of referees are afraid to influence. It's the fight, even if it's deserving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you put it well, I mean, we all have our preferred referees, and we all have our opinions as to how relatively good we think they are at the job. I think Mark Goddard is the gold standard. I also believe that on any given Saturday night, for referees and fighters and commentators, this sport presents a lot of challenges and even the best will not be perfect. Right, We've never had a perfect show as commentators. I'm quite sure no fighter has really ever had a perfect fight, even maybe in a Moss feedal Askarin type situation. But yeah, I mean, I just really feel like referees like Kevin McDonald right, Kevin McDonald with a Boston Action, right, Ken McDonald right is not ubiquitously regarded as the best referee, but he doesn't care. He doesn't care if he's going to stop a fight early as opposed to late, because he prioritizes fighter safety. And I think he would be quicker with a point deduction than referees. And you know, sometimes when you watch boxing, and you know, boxing for me, really has nothing on mixed martial arts in terms of the excitement of the sport consistently. But sometimes you see when referees interrupt the holding in boxing, or you know, they take points away like they're irritated, and they're just they're not like they don't care about fans or promoters. And sometimes I feel like these referees are in their own heads and we're thinking about things that really shouldn't matter when they should be taking points away.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: It's very similar to, you know, caring about what the fans are saying or what the other people are doing when you have that guy in front of you that you need to face and fight and and it can happen. It's it can be easy to be influenced otherwise, but the focus always needs to be the job at hand, what you're doing in that moment. And I do feel like this is kind of systemic throughout a lot of refereeing in mixed martial arts. I don't think Herbdan is the only guy out there doing this, by the way, Yeah, and that's kind of the issue, and you did highlight you know a couple referees that that have a different take on it. But I do think that there's a lot of referees out there that are really scared to go out there and influence the fight one way or another, where it's like, just follow the rules and be consistent man, because a hair pull is very different than an accidental foul or say, same way, like where someone is clearly holding the cage on purpose. Like we gotta be better about this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 5: Inaugural John Annik Top five referee rankings compiled right now live on the Attic Imploring Podcast.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 7: Yes, referee rankings.
Speaker 5: I'm quite certain some people are gonna be upset by this, but nobody's going to be more upset than Ray Longo when I haze him for his aser by Sean loss here in about eighteen. So all right, inaugural John Anick referee rankings, coming in at number five, never skipping leg Day nor arm days. Gary Copeland, Okay, Gary, congratulations.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the test. Number four.
Speaker 5: I believe actually was the referee in question in the Nazim Satakov fight this weekend. Rich Mitch Rich Mitchell getting a text from Jason Anick, which can only mean, oh, don't stop, no referee rankings. Oh no, we're doing the refee. We're already at number four. I mean there's a million honorable mentions. Jay, my manager, Jason Anick doesn't like this live segment, all right, Coming in at number four, effectually known as Rich Mitch Rich Mitchell all right, coming in at number three, Vitaur Shallon.
Speaker 7: Hitbero, Yes, I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that one.
Speaker 5: Coming in at number two, Jason Herzog and number one Mark Dard. I mean, Jay, what's the problem. I mean yeah, Kevin McDonald has a Boston accent. One guy who definitely doesn't have a Boston accent. Let's go three wide, Let's welcome in.
Speaker 7: Uh. One of the stars of the Anakin Florian podcast r J.
Speaker 3: He is raty tv NA LV.
Speaker 7: It contains strong language of violence.
Speaker 3: He's intended only from mature audiences.
Speaker 7: You were discussing advised. This is rated R with r J Clifford.
Speaker 3: The fighting, that's that's the fun part.
Speaker 6: It's like Hansle from Zoolander, which is so fucking hot right now, dude, Like, well, think.
Speaker 7: About it, Like I don't know who he is.
Speaker 2: I just know he's arrestler. You know, googled him.
Speaker 4: Only on the Annik and Florian podcast.
Speaker 5: I know one guy who's not afraid of some improptu referee rankings on a Monday.
Speaker 7: It's Randall Clifford. What's up? Man?
Speaker 6: When people ask me, why is John Annick the best broadcaster in sports. And is it the the opens of the pay per view? Is it the way he calls the action? Is the way he calls it finish? And I say nay to all those things. It's because he can take obligatory Monday morning ref rebitching and make it fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, how many people I.
Speaker 6: Was like, all right, we're gonna have to talk reffing. We're gonna have to talk about Jim Parados and his rough day and Rich Mitchell's early stoppage, as like that, let's rank these motherfuckers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, dude, place, I love it.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like you did not like Rich mitchell stoppage. Was he the referee in question in the Nazim Sadikov Camilo fight RJ?
Speaker 3: That was early? Can we all agree?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: So there was dissension on the post fight show. I'd love to hear your opinions. You guys are the fighters and the analysts. So h, I didn't necessarily think that Sadikov's body language, Yes, I don't. I'd liked him to have had a beat, but his body language was not intelligently defending like charl Bullet.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 5: It was not a good look, Kenny, what are your thoughts? And then Arjie, I didn't have a problem with it.
Speaker 4: You know, listen, I think we all would like to see Nas get maybe another second to come back, and we've seen him come back before and we know that. I agree, John. The body language for me was was what kind of did it like? He wasn't he curled up, He was taken shot after shot, and I just didn't like the way it was happening, Like if you get back to your feet and like you you have balance and you're still defending yourself intelligence, Like to me, that would have been a better sign. I didn't see that, so I I and the way that he ran and he just he ran right into the danger zone, like and the worst way possible, right into that power shot. So that wasn't a great look. And unfortunately for Nas, you know, it was stop. But I, yeah, I didn't really have I've seen way worse stoppages than that.
Speaker 3: There's been way worse.
Speaker 6: And I will say this, Uh so I was in the locker room when Rich Mitchell was giving Naziine the rules. I can't be like, Okay, yeah, this is what a back of the head looks like. And they showed the back of the head of another ref and this is what I want to see here is running through all that. And he specifically told Nazeme you need to you know, if you get hurt and you go down, I'm gonna say, give me action. I'm gonna say, show me you're there. Right, And in fairness, this Zem didn't.
Speaker 3: Show a whole lot.
Speaker 6: I will say this though, two things the beat that you mentioned, Kenny, I would have liked to see, and two not one follow up shot hit Nazim in the head.
Speaker 3: It was all arm.
Speaker 6: So when a fighter is down and hurt and it's that fast, if I don't see something connect to a head and then no reaction, I'm thinking there's still kind of something. Let this guy kind of keep fighting when it's all arm. Yeah, right, he's not getting more damage. You're not saving the fighter from more damage. So again, Razor Thin, very tough situation and fairness to refree Rich Mitchell.
Speaker 3: That's he did exactly what he said in that little rules.
Speaker 6: When they did before, you did not show me enough, just a little bit too fast. It's like it's like an early stoppage, Kenny. When it's a reird naked choke versus a heel hook, Like if it becauesn't a heel hook, You're like, I think he tapped, Like I gotta jump in rear naked choke, Like I've been choked unconscious in front of five thousand people in strike force. That's the easiest, That's the least painful way to lose a fight, right, I'd rather get choked unconscious than lose a decision because you get more beat up in a decision. So that was my Again, definitely, I've seen more egregious but not not a perfect stop.
Speaker 4: Arg I think that's great inside info first of all, but also, you know, I think it's important what you're mentioning is the context of the situation, right, Like what's going around, what's going on surrounding the stoppage. And I think it's a fair point regarding the the hits to the arm.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, And I's a good looking fighter like you, Kenny, like no more shots.
Speaker 3: If it was exactly please, now what are you doing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And I can't really RJ have my cake and eat it too, right, If if I'm going to suggest that Rich Mitchell was a beat too.
Speaker 7: Early, then I have to say that the stoppage was early.
Speaker 5: However, I mean, even if it's just a little bit early, I just think it asks a lot of these referees. And I do think that learning lessons for fighters, right is that you got to stare at your opponent and try to be present and desperate and chaotic almost that you're so urgently trying to defend yourself.
Speaker 7: So thanks for joining us. R J. Clifford Live rated. RJ back from Azerbaijan.
Speaker 5: Your schedule has been breakneck and I'm very excited to see you and work with you on the Hall of Fame induction ceremony and UFC three twenty nine. So what was your trip like to Azerbaijan? And I guess what was the best part of it for you?
Speaker 3: Baku's beautiful, man.
Speaker 6: I mean we, as you know, we go to the Middle East often and it's the Middle East kind of has a certain flavor about it, and so we went to Baku for the first time last year, like, okay, it's probably gonna be like you know, Riyad or Abu again.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, it's a very different country.
Speaker 6: Because it was it was like Muslim forever, and then there was Russian for a while and more like Eastern European influence, and so like the architecture's beautiful, the weather's great.
Speaker 3: It's right there on the water. Yeah, people are friendly and dude, they love the UFC.
Speaker 6: There many dude fans were taking photos with like security guards and audio dudes and just like there's like like UFC.
Speaker 3: Adjacent Like this is my new profile photo.
Speaker 6: You know, you know, you know Miles l Audio right, Like it's just it's they love m m A that much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's huge.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, Niner's mother passed away, uh days ago. So uh, Niner's on his way to Detroit and uh we uh to missus Conley rest in peace.
Speaker 7: But we love you Niner very much. Anyway.
Speaker 5: So a lot of different directions in which we could go are j so and again you know, like far be it from me to play producer. But have you talked about on a hot microphone the meta rankings? Have you seen them at all?
Speaker 6: I have briefly discussed them, and I know, like we talked about it briefly about how people are thinking, Oh they're AI.
Speaker 3: It's not AI.
Speaker 6: It's a computation, right, It's just like a mathematical you know, insert ex plit times y equals z times pie. However they math it right, which I kind of dig I kind of like that because you get to say, hey, it's just math. It's not don't blame us. You can't blame a person, you can't blame a carbon based life form.
Speaker 3: If you don't like these rankings. It's math.
Speaker 6: And I love every time I had like an argument on my radio shows and you're like, well, it's just it's just the math. Are you argue against math if I want to like weasel out of an argument, right, That's that's the way I go. And now the UFC can say it's like, well, blame calculus, don't blame us.
Speaker 5: So wins and finishes and activity and a mathematical model, those are things that you need to be thinking about, right. So I just wanted to ask you guys quickly, we don't have to spend a lot of time on this, just about a couple of these moves right now. Certainly, if you really pick these things apart, there are going to be things that we all take issue with. But I am all in chips in the center of the table, and not because I'm some promotional shit. Ill and not because I'm married a mathematics major, right, It's because I believe in this.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Quillan Salkild goes from number twelve to number eight, right, and I'm not giving you all the surrounding names, but that would seem to me like he's the eighth best lightweight in the world.
Speaker 7: Yam Bohovich goes from number four to number.
Speaker 5: Fifteen, right, Perhaps that is something I might take issue with. For kel Pennington goes from the number two ranked phantom weight contender to number fifteen.
Speaker 7: Now, I fucking love it.
Speaker 5: The question is is she going to be match made accordingly as the number fifteen ranked contender? Is she gonna be in some main event or title eliminator as a former champion? This all bears watching in terms of how it dovetails with the matchmaking. Again, I'm submitting a few to you, and then I'm gonna let you guys sound off. At featherweight Pat sabatin he goes from unranked to number seven in the world. Now, I've been promoting Sabatini. I'm a big fan. I think he's underappreciated, and now he goes from fucking twenty two to seven, and then I would say also at featherweight, Jose Miguel del Gato, just as an example, takes Josh Emmittt's number fifteen in the world, Right r J, what do you make of some of those moves? And uh and the direction seemingly in which we are going.
Speaker 6: I think the UFC kind of went the way of like the college football playoff system, where they're using their powers for good because they're the playoff Committee will come straight out and say, strength of schedule matters, right if you if you book a bunch of powder puffs your first three weeks, we're gonna knock you for it. Right you book Texas week one, We're not gonna hit you that hard if you lose, and we're gonna give you credit for tough for tough scheduling. So I think rewarding fighters who stay active is fantastic. You kind of eliminate like the Colby Covingtons of the world who get a couple of big wins and then just kind of sit on that ranking forever, you know, Like, I think that's important. You get guys that are kind of they establish themselves in that ring because that's guess how it works, right, like week one of any ranking. Let's again I keep using Colors Sports as an example, and then it's always based off of that. So if you're ranked number four to start and you don't look great, but you don't lose bad, you're kind of just gonna hang onto that ranking.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of it's always kind of refreshing.
Speaker 6: So every week it's just based on criteria, not I've earned my spot and it's mind until I lose it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, kill a lot of movement. There's gonna be a lot of movement, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Flow, yeah, which I like. I think it's going to be far superior to the last you know, the media rankings that they have before or whatever. But can we rewind a little bit and just kind of go over some of that, because yes, it's done by math, but how is the math skewed? Meaning if they're gonna put more weight on quality of competition or let's say who's away from you know, fighting for longer, then that's gonna affect there. Can we kind of go through that a little bit? Yeah, you guys know, or the idea of how they're ranking, So just.
Speaker 5: As an example, and I don't have it all in front of me, you know, yeah, I mean I only prepped a little more than long go for today.
Speaker 7: Right. But there's a word decay.
Speaker 5: So after a certain amount of time, I believe ten years, you get no credit. Right Like Josh Emmitt beaten Jeremy Stevens before I went through puberty, you get no credit for that. Actually Stevens might have beat Emmon either way, right, So some of those wins five to ten years ago, Kenny will decay, right, So that I know is part of the reason.
Speaker 4: So you're saying if I came back, I wouldn't be ranked. That's what you're saying. That's what you're telling me right now.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now, if if you fight Alex Caro Lexis in an absolute war and you win, Caro Lexis gets no credit, and some fans are like, oh but come on, you know, so it's not there's no perfect system.
Speaker 4: But yes, that's true.
Speaker 5: The activity wins finishes. I guess that's probably enough about the rankings. Can I just ask you about Sabatini in thirty seconds our j and Kenny, because yeah, featherweight's ruthless, right, And I do believe generally speaking, you see maybe youth rewarded here, like a Jose Miguel Delgado getting in there in place of Josh Hammett. But what do you make of Sabatini? Right, The guy's won like five or six r J. Right, I mean going from unranked to seven.
Speaker 6: I mean he's he's five and one in the last like under three years. His only loss is Diego Lopez, and so I'm not saying that's perfect where he is, but I think he's a great example of what the rankings math is looking for, is activity, you know, lost his only loss was you know, a guy who's always kind of in contendership strength of schedule isn't all that great though, I mean not, He's not beaten ranked dudes in that run, right, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: Kind of a weird outlier.
Speaker 6: I feel like I feel like he's like, not a great example of what the rankings are doing.
Speaker 4: I think he's beating some guys that are pretty damn tough. You look at Pierce Brito, Mariscal Gome, He's like, yeah, they're they're probably not the guys on everyone like the tip of everyone's tongue, But dude, these are those are tough outs. Those are not easy guys to beat and I think to have that level of consistency in that insane featherweight division UH is impressive and kind of makes sense. And I think it's going to incentivize other fighters to be like, well, why is Sabatini right above me? Oh, he's he's been quite busy and fighting tough guys, Like, okay, maybe I should be doing the same thing. So it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: Man sucks.
Speaker 6: He's the example of because you get so many guys that work so hard to get into the top ten and they don't want to risk that and so they won't fight anyone below them. He's the example of just keep winning and you'll pass them. You know, these guys will get ranked ahead of you, and they'll be afraid to fight a tough guy with not much of a name. He's like, just keep taking fights, keep winning, and you can Sabatini your way into the time.
Speaker 3: Right that, we're going to coin that term starting now.
Speaker 7: As I like it.
Speaker 5: As soon as I got off the call, I emailed the head guy just so I can get a better understanding of how much the matchmakers might be beholden to the meta rankings.
Speaker 7: And obviously that's not the case.
Speaker 5: Right, So just because Sabatini, with all you know, in all of his wrestling glory, is now number seven in the world doesn't mean he is going to be match made accordingly, a couple more minutes with R. J. Clifford, and again, if you got any bookou highlights that you want to get to on the way out by all means. But Julius Walker lost to Abdul Rochman yak Yayev by knockout in eight seconds, and Julius Walker went on Instagram and sort of just talked about how disappointed he was getting knocked out in eight seconds and as former profighters yourselves, I just wanted to read you some of this, you know after the fight, This is Julius Walker. I couldn't stop thinking about how much went into me going out there and getting dropped with the first punch. My family went two months without me, My sponsors invested heavily, and me, my team, my coach has spent hours preparing me and traveling to be here. Hard to wrap my head around the fact that it was all for an eight second fight. Obviously, he turns it positive and says, in reality, there were a lot of gains, but this sport, right, Like, all right, I'm gonna spend eight weeks RJ and Kenny away from my kids, right, and you go get knocked out in eight seconds, man, and there's nothing that anyone can say, right, and you just lead the league and apologies for the next two weeks. Just apologize to everybody in your life and they don't want to hear it. And uh, I don't know. It's just a it's a really tough way to make a lit.
Speaker 3: I think, John, you bring me on here because you guys have hearts and I do not.
Speaker 6: If you're so worried about putting all that work and having a bad eight second loss, don't throw a lazy fucking jab against Abdul rock monyak y I have? I mean you just chin out and standing up like super lazy.
Speaker 7: It's like it's yak ya yev. What do you think you're doing? Man?
Speaker 6: Like, Yeah, that's what happens when you throw a stupid lazy jab, hands down, chin up, standing straight up against the killer like yah yah I have, Like I feel I do feel bad for you, But what do you think is gonna happen?
Speaker 4: Like eight weeks of work? How about jab back to your chin?
Speaker 3: Jab head off center line, jab craw like, come on.
Speaker 7: That's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: That what's gonna happen. This is a sport with you know, serious consequences, and the truth will reveal itself for better or worse, and it will stare you right in the face and make you feel miserable. And it's up to you whether you want to look at your work honestly or not. And you know, there's there's many other jobs where you can make a mistake and you're fine. In this one, you get humiliated, could possibly lose your job, You get hurt in the process. You know, you feel like you need to apologize to everyone and your family, your team. It is. It is tough, dude, It is one of I think it's the toughest professional sport in the world, no question about it. And there's no opportunity to come back next Sunday and do it again. It's just it is what it is. You may not have another chance, right, It's it's that kind of sport. And I do agree with r J in that regard. In that listen, you gotta be better than that, and you gotta be more aware. This isn't a sparring match anymore. The rippercussions for your bad decisions or lack of training or lack of precise training is huge, and it's it's really tough, man, It's hard. It's hard, but you hate to see these guys. But it's true, like he did put in those eight weeks and and he and he's suffering, you know, away from his family and all that stuff. That's not the result you wanted. But again, mixed martial arts, similar to math, doesn't care about your feelings.
Speaker 6: And that's the beauty of the sport too. Is because as bad and I don't mean it to bash and Julius Walker, he had his work cut out for him against Yan, Yeah, of course I think he's a future champ, right, but there's a ying to every Yang. Like as bad as that was for Julius Walker, as like embarrassing all that work for nothing, it was like this for Yakiyayev because he had an eight second knockout, highlight reel stuff on an undefeated career.
Speaker 3: It's like it's it's it's a zero sum game.
Speaker 6: As bad as it was for you, it was as great for that as your opponent. And that's the beauty of combat sports. The stakes are so high. That's why Connor McGregor was so great, right, he just raised the stakes of everything. He talks all that trash, and when he loses, man, it just crushes him because he raised it so big and talks so much shit. But when he wins, it's just a win times ten, and so it's as bad as it is for a fighter. That means it's just as good for his opponent. And that's the appeal you can't have. You know, it's very rare when there's a Rory McDonald Robbie Lawler two where like both guys you know, profiles skyrocket, it's one going down, one going up, and it's almost exactly equal, right Like we'll have missus Annik do the math on that.
Speaker 5: But like that, my man, thank you for your time. We'll have a little bit more next week. We'll talk you SC three twenty nine and really want to get your thoughts on Connor McGregor's chances, but we will do that next Monday. Welcome home, enjoy a rare respite next weekend off and.
Speaker 7: We'll talk to you real soon. Thanks boys at R J R. J.
Speaker 5: Clifford with us live on the Anak and Florian Podcast, also back from Azerbaijan and also a star of the program, Let's get to uh.
Speaker 7: What do they call him? Raymond Pete.
Speaker 1: It's now time for the Ray Long Minute.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna a hole.
Speaker 7: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: The Ray Long Minute. The John Anick and Kenny Florian Podcast.
Speaker 5: All the Annak and Florian podcast listeners are looking for.
Speaker 7: In the corner. What time can you get to a round two?
Speaker 2: Just our listeners. J Clifford is killing it. I think this guy's killing it man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he makes a little less than you per show.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's gonna be for long's He's doing a great job. You think when the fuck did he get back?
Speaker 7: Probably fairly recently. When did you get back? You look? Well, I tell you what, like.
Speaker 2: One in the morning. It was. It was brutal that that that's not an easy trip. And I mean for the guys that came from the States to fight, I think it's it's a big disadvantage that that trip is. You know, the Laos is a big yeah, just every just getting there, it's a that's a big that's a big ask for these guys, you know, just doing it. It could be because I'm one hundred and fifty, but maybe it's different if you're twenty five. But it's still tenny. It's brutal. It's actually brutal.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's easy for anyone at any age. Yeah, yeah tough.
Speaker 7: Yeah you are.
Speaker 2: You are old though, No no question about feeling.
Speaker 7: Kenny and I have TV lights on us. You don't.
Speaker 5: But honestly, you look fantastic like you look, you look great like honestly, your wife maybe didn't hit the lottery or the jackpot in certain respects, but apartment. No, I'm serious, I'm serious. He married a handsome fucking man anyway. Not a great result for nas of course, a Nazerbaijean. Much has been made up the stoppage. We sort of exhausted it a little bit there with R J. Clifford, but just wanted to get your thoughts on on the fight as long as it lasted and everything after the fact, if we could listen.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great match of finnas I thought he was looking good up until that point. Horrible stoppage, horrible stubb and and look, it's a big ass for the referee, but you have to know who's fight. You saw this guy. He needs to get hit to get going. He was one million percent very present. He had to cover up. He got knocked down. He knew it, and you know you got to give him a chance to, you know, grab a leger, grab onto something. Look at his last fight in Bako, He's getting seventy punches against a cage. He's covering, he's present. But unfortunately Finnas he's got he needs that to wake himself up. And this guy didn't give him the opportunity that you know, the last rift in and I think cheated the fans of what would have been a really really good fight. So but but wait with that, With that being said, hats off to Eric Nixick and Jimmy Gifford. Jimmy Gifford one of the nicest guys you want to beat. I mean, I mean, he's got to be around as long as me. So just even in defeat, you know, seeing that guy, he makes you feel good. He's that good of a guy, I think. And it was good to catch up with Nixic. I haven't seen him, so I'm not taking anything away. Hats off to those guys. Camillo did a great job. He threw a beautiful right hand right down the middle, and uh, you know, he walked away with the wind. I feel my heart goes out to Nas because he's a guy that really wants to go out on his shield. You have to give the guy the chance to to fight back. And I don't think you know, the ref did exactly the opposite of what he told us he would doing in the dressing room. Toe, I'll tell you to start moving. You got to show me something. Don't give me a thumbs up. Just just there was a three hamerfists maybe four, you know, like quick but on the arms. I don't know, I mean it's way ray.
Speaker 4: I assume Nas said he was fine. What were what were his thoughts on the stoppage and how was he after the fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knows that that that's sometimes it takes him to get hit to to wake up. And he you saw him jump right up. There's no question about a totally unaffected one ready to go is. I think that's evident even by looking at the tape. Uh, and just really upset, really upset because now that's his second loss, and uh uh, he wants like again, he wants to go out on his shield. If he's going to go out, let me, you know, let me. I would stop to fight if it was bad. I mean a Taporia fight was a million percent worse than that. They let that go and the guy couldn't see that fucking override in the ref I mean, these guys can go fuck themselves at this point. I mean, be consistent. That's all anybody wants is consistency. That's it, Kenn.
Speaker 7: Can I jump in here for a second, go for you.
Speaker 5: I just wrote down the word inconsistency, and I say so, Yes, we're on the same page. Okay, But there's a few things that we need to get into here. And one of thesequestions I don't necessarily know the answer to if you win or you learn, then the learning lesson though, has to be how do you prevent this from happening if you get hurt in a fight. And I believe that the answer is you have to try to get an angle to your opponent. You can't give your back like that because that visual, whether it's intelligently defending in his own mind or not, that visual leaves a lot to be desired for the referee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John, I'm not going to argue with it. But again, I'm going to go back to consistency. There's ten other refs that would have let that fight go on. And you're right, that's the issue, Kat, that's the only issue. We could say whatever we want. I mean, he did get knocked down, there's no question about it. Dude. That was a two second thing. It wasn't time it. I don't know was it more than two seconds? You got to give the guy a little bit of a chance. Now that guy's hands didn't go over his head and he took those shots. Of course you stop to fight. Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I might have to update my referee rankings. I have to move down.
Speaker 2: I don't even know who I end up, even sort a guy before Like again, they I don't I don't want to get into this ship. He doesn't it you're pissing up a tree. Uh, it's just it is what it is. But it's unfortunate because there's a lot of repercussions that happened. And uh, and again I'm always for fighter safety, but that wasn't even remotely close to anything.
Speaker 4: So knowing this, and and I guess maybe this is a better question for NOS. But does this affect how you or how he approaches fights moving forward, right, because yes, I get it sometimes you know it's like I was a slow starter as well. But is this something we were like, Okay, I need to rectify this because there may be that that point where a referee is gonna just stop it, Like I can't just afford to, hey, let me get hit a little bit to wake myself up. So how how do you change that?
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, that's kind of answer a good question. And it's been talked about because he does start off slow, and unfortunately in a couple of fights he's got to get rattled, but he does come back and he's never really he's never really hurt, you know, hurt hurt. So I I agree with you, he's gonna he's gonna have to address that moving forward because you can't assume the ref's going to do the right thing at this point. And that's it that that question is fair, and it's been talked about. I talked, I talked to him about it all the time. You know, let's not go against the cage, let's not take that type of ship. You know, he's a very very talented kid, super talented joint that he has to figure that out moving forward, else he'll get fucked over again. And then it's then it's going to become you know, it's almost it might become then now it's on you like we know this, but you know, like when Morob, you know, me and Aljiel were talking about that there's fights and we didn't highlight it, but there's fights where like Morob says, please do not stop, do not stop the fight. I'm gonna be like again like you and maybe we should have just been more you know whatever, more concise with that in the dressing room where we just went over with him. You saw his last fight. Don't do it, you know what I mean, he comes back. I don't know something. But you know, we didn't really stress it as much as maybe we should have, which at other times we one hundred percent doe. But I mean I think that was I don't I don't think many people are going to think that was a good stoppage. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Well, I think horrible is strong.
Speaker 5: I know you did say we are asking a lot of the referee in the moment, but no, I mean it's either earlier it's not, and I think it was a beat early, you know, on the spectrum that is wide.
Speaker 7: I think it was early. One other thing I wanted to get can we.
Speaker 2: Get Dominant Cruz's opinion on this? Please?
Speaker 7: Can we call him up?
Speaker 2: Can we get him on the phone right now? Can I have a lifeline? Can I have a lifeline to Dominate?
Speaker 5: For one thing that you said off the top was you have to know who is fighting? And I want to ask you guys this because I was watching the Post Show with Hellcat and Michael Kiessa and Dean Thomas, and there was some not only disagreement on the panel, but I don't think they really knew right, Ray said, Kenny.
Speaker 7: You gotta know who's fighting? Right?
Speaker 5: Did anybody see nas versus Nicholas's motive?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: But I don't know about that, because right, fighters evolve and fighters absorb damage. And if a referee is of a mentality that this dude historically, I don't know. Referees don't get their assignments necessarily way in advance, Kate. I don't know if a referee has to say, all right, this dude is made like a boot, you know, I gotta like give him every benefit of every doubt.
Speaker 7: I don't know, is is that a real thing?
Speaker 4: And I'll say this, John, I'm with you on that in that you know this, This is why I probably disagree with Ray is that the referee can only go on what they see in that moment. And it's hard. I think if you start to label that and say, well, okay, I'm gonna it's you know, Gae Chee fighting today and Toporia here and then, and I'm gonna address these differently, that's where you can get yourself into trouble because, as you mentioned, it's like Chuck Ladell had a you know he was you couldn't knock the guy out until you could, and those things change over time. So the only thing you can go on is really what you're seeing in that moment, not to say he was right for that stoppage or not. But I don't know. You know, all you could really look at is body language, and I think you almost need to take the fighter's name out of it. I would almost take the opposite approach Ray, But yeah, I mean, nas is gonna be different than say, other fighters from what we've seen. But I don't know if you can approach it that way as a referee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm gonna agree with you guys even on that. I'm not arguing. I'm going back to consistency. Though. If you're nas and you've watched other fights and you've seen them go on, why am I getting penalized when I'm not even ten percent as hurt as the other guys. So it goes back to consistency again. Now, I'm not arguing with you, Kenny, and I'll agree with you, disagree with me. I will even agree with you. But it goes back to consistency. We've seen it time and time again where people are allowed to continue. And again that's why I make a joke with dominic Cruz. But you know what dominic Cruz's answer is going to be. You know it. You know because he's been so emphatic about it the last two or three years, you know what I mean. So, I mean, it was like when Morob got hurt by Marlon Morice. Thank god we had Keith Peterson in there. Morob might not even be where he is today without that. And that's the problem. They don't understand that they're affecting these kids' futures. I mean, they're fucking scumbaggs. At the end of the day. I mean what you want to say, not to give a fuck. They know what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing. Be consistent and do your fucking job. That's what you paid for it. Just do your fucking job. That's all anybody's asking for. There's too many inconsistencies, and that's where it goes south.
Speaker 5: I I agree with almost everything coming out of your mouth. I mean, I believe that we ask way too much of fighters, and in the modern area, You're right, there is very much a trend towards late stoppages as opposed to early. Right, it seems like the consistency that doesn't exist is at least more towards letting a fighter stare death in the face as opposed to toward fighter safety.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So part of the reason I get upset is because it's never about fighter safety, right. It's like, great job to the referee that you know, Daniel zel Huber will never be the same after the Esteban Riebevics fight that maybe should have been stopped because it was the fight of the year, you know what I mean. But like nobody knows the price that these fighters pay. Nobody knows if Chris Johnson in the NFL running back just got diagnosed with als. Is that because of all the concussions and the damage in his career or not?
Speaker 7: You know, we don't.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of unquantifiables, but you know, fighter safety seems like an afterthought in a lot of these conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, and honestly, look, I got excited, and I'm gonna apologize right away because I don't want to get too crazy. But you know, we're in a sport that maybe shouldn't even be there. I mean, you're gonna get hit in the head. Getting hit in the head once in your life, John is not good for you, right right? You know, dehydrate and your internal logans over and over again is not good. There's nothing good about the sport. But if you give the people the knowledge that this is bad for you, it's jumping out of a plane skydive and I don't know, you just got Everybody has to know what the repercussions are and if you choose to do it. That's the society we live in there, you're allowed to do it. They know what the repercussions are, and then you have to have referees that understand that, and they're going to abide by that. It's just I don't want to see anybody get hurt. And you're right, the guy, would you know what that happened? Junior say, I shot himself in the chest so they can analyze his brain, you know their CTE. Does anybody give a fuck? John? Do you think anybody gives a shit about what happened to Junior? Say? Oh, what they do about it? Anything? No, they want that They're going to make their money. So listen, I'm good for beingning the sport. If that's what you want to say. Look, it's not good for your blah blah. That's just not the world we live in. And if it's not the world we live in, then you got to give the fighters that want to make that decision for themselves. WoT how many guys you still see now taking fights that they shouldn't take just to provide for their family in the future, even if they're there there or not there, And that's their choice. This is where that's the society we live in. They have a choice to make and sometimes you know, somebody has to step in and help him make that choice. But yeah, all of these injuries in football and the guys that can't walk it Joe name it. You ever see him walking with his knees after he was done. Who wants to do that? Would he trade it in again and do it all over again? Probably he knew the repercussions of what was going to happen, and so did these guys. So you got to give them the chance, I think. And it's it's going to be a hard bouncing act and the ref has a hard job. That's why.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I don't really mean to come down on it like that, but when you're involved in it just gets frustrated. When I just thought that was a really early stoppage and you sort of guy bounced right up and look, we've seen it. It happens, and unfortunately it happened to a kid. I like, so it is what it is, and you know, and I know people will probably be saying if it was the other way, I go the other way, and probably would. I don't know. It's take a case by case, but this one was I thought, you know early, and like again, I go back, if they if Peterson would have stopped that fight, would never we would have never got to see where Morob's ceiling was he might have never even gotten the opportunity. And it's I don't know.
Speaker 5: You got so much unconditional love from the Annakin Form podcast viewership that.
Speaker 7: It almost no. I actually think that you.
Speaker 5: Are hitting on a lot of truths, inconvenient or otherwise today, and I think you've been very thoughtful coming off a plane. I actually think you've been really great. But I'm just telling you that this audience, right, you unlike me, right, you got them just eating out of your fucking hand, out of what you say you know about a rail and you know.
Speaker 2: Hey, John, I'm gonna say after that trip, I don't I believe in a quart of loure. I'm not even responsible for anything I'm saying right now. That was that was a rough, freaking trips. I might be out of my freaking bird rate now the.
Speaker 5: Next time, you know, the next time, you guys just need to win the battle for the lead foot.
Speaker 2: You won't end up, you know, yeah, Oh listen, just kidding. Don't don't get me, don't get me going, you know.
Speaker 7: No, I know, so I love you.
Speaker 5: It's all love right before you came on, Like, I wonder the extent to which I can have fun with right, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I got you know, you got caught block.
Speaker 7: So when I go get a cup of black coffee.
Speaker 2: I need my throne this morning, and I didn't have any?
Speaker 5: Is that because they didn't send it to the home and it's at the gym? Would you like pay a couple of cases sent to the house?
Speaker 2: Right, you could send it to the gym. I don't care where. I said, just send it.
Speaker 7: They did. We'll send you more.
Speaker 2: Oh did they maybe? Wait?
Speaker 7: I can't usually get it when they say like please first.
Speaker 2: Wait that first ship in we going back to that.
Speaker 7: This guy anyway.
Speaker 5: So but in all seriousness, let me get a little serious one. So you go get a black coffee, but you don't necessarily know what goes into that black coffee or how well it's being made. Throwing sport coffee is functional, better for you coffee. It's made for active on the go lifestyles like longos. Each can one hundred and fifty millions in natural caffeine, natural sweeteners, one hundred percent of your daily b vitamins. Lattes if you like those ten grams of proteins in there. Cole Bruce low sugar, Dear free today, We're rocking the vanilla bean. Throwing Sport Coffee also NSF certified for sport. You can find it in retailers nationwide including Casey's Quick Trip and Whole Foods, or just online on the fucking internet on Amazon, Walmot and their website directly Sport Coffee dot com Thrown Sport Coffee, Get going, keep going.
Speaker 7: So have you not had any coffee today? Red? Right now?
Speaker 2: I just had a I had a Machia tea, so hopefully there's a little little caffeine in there.
Speaker 5: So I did some impromptu referee rankings earlier, and my twin brother Jason text me right away like stop stop with the referee rankings.
Speaker 7: You can get yourself in trouble, you know.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Anyway, so I got a few other things I'd like to talk to you about.
Speaker 2: Before you do, let me just can I give a shout out to Uh. I'll tell you that the trip was very nice this time as your Bijian was great. And there's two brothers, Razula and Aslin, who owned a restaurant. I'm going to try to pronounce a right ect eppmunt, but just so high spittable these people and two great guys you ever and Anazebijan. I swear to God, I know those guys will take care of you. Did that type of people very giving and just beautiful souls and just it was it was a really we had a really good time that way, and uh, you know whatever. So I just wanted to shout those guys out because they're always gracious and they helped out a lot of people on this trip.
Speaker 5: Well, if you ever find yourself in Azerbaijan, go to episode six to oh one of the Antakin Florent podcast and find the ray long a minute. And uh, did anybody in Azerbaijan mention the Anak.
Speaker 7: And Florian podcast to you? That sounds like, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, No, get him out of here, that's it.
Speaker 7: Get him out of man. Oh man. I guess there was a lot of Nazim Sadakov talk. Probably right, they love him, They love nas Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I don't know how much of these other performances you saw. I mean, there's a couple more that I can get into with Kenny on the back end, you know, we can talk about Connor McGregor. There was a Suliev stretch that I want to get into and I don't know if people are mispronouncing Sulyev, but Asu almabayev man and I think it's really a case of a guy sort of using his UFC experience and challenges to his advantage and just getting better. And Kenny this sort of performance and Ray dovetails with what I was saying off the top, like, if you're a UFC fan, if you're a martial arts fan, this night really had a lot of meat on the bone Kenny that I would tap like so fucking fast.
Speaker 7: And if we have my leg in that position.
Speaker 4: Dude, it's a rare one and it's a really cool one and a very painful one if you're in it. Aw, but you know it's great to do against guys with long ass legs like Johnson, you know. So he saw the opportunity to off balance him, got a hold of that leg and the picture that captured it was just amazing, but it looked so brutal. And that's one of those where, yeah, it's you're in the position to choke, but if you see a limb and you see a lever, you scoop it up and avoided all by do that to Charles Johnson. That was nasty. Al Jael had one of those.
Speaker 2: And al Joe hit it headed on Cody Stamen, and then Zabiat hit it after him. Al Joe and Zabat got the bonus.
Speaker 7: Let me let me hit her pill.
Speaker 2: Let me just stop. We know. Me and al Joe talked about that. I mean, it's really is whatever is what? But that thing looked like it was stretched. Really that one. I caught the end of it like a holy crap.
Speaker 4: That was involuntary.
Speaker 2: Yes, talk about stretching your hamstring.
Speaker 7: If you're still watching, send me the quarter two payments for Longo and our.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get I think I'm getting fired after this.
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: So I got a lot of things in my notes that I would like to get to in these final few minutes with Ray Longo. So we talked on this show about Connor McGregor's return for the first time since twenty twenty one, and if he looked like he was all shredded up and was showing you all of this training footage, you know, maybe you would lean more into.
Speaker 7: Your expectations that he would perform well.
Speaker 5: So, as we sit here, Ray, less than two weeks out, you've seen a little bit more from Connor. You've heard a little bit from Connor. I have my opinions as to what I'm seeing and I'm hearing. I'm curious how you feel about his chances now that we're, you know, less than two weeks out.
Speaker 2: I think, listen, this is a guy that and as much as I'd grown to kind of like him and the way he speaks, this is a guy that's really abused his body last five years. So the body is resilient. It could look good, but he's got his work cut out for him against Holloway. I'm sure he'll have a power advantage, but you know, eat and uh, you know, uh, combinations are gonna be. I think he's just gonna it's gonna He's got a big ask in front of him. And I think it's the way he's lived his life the last five years. That's a hard life to live, and some guys could do it, man, I made some guys can do it. I've seen guys that can drink and go in and fight like it's nothing but age plus that tends to catch up with you after a while. But uh, I don't care what I'm looking at. I go back to the previous five years, Like you're seeing the tip of the iceberg below. That is a lot of debauchery and uh, let's see if he could he get pasted it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kenny, it doesn't necessarily seem as though this return has been preceded by twelve months of the most rigorous, intense training you've ever seen in your life. Right, I don't know what condition Connor McGregor is going to show up, and I know he's full of pride. I know he still feels as though his MMA legacy deserves to be bolt both. What do you think based upon what you're seeing in here at kept flow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously this is not an easy fight for him at all, no matter how he's treated his body over the last several years. But I do think he's made it a concerted effort at being diligent with his mind, body and spirit. And when Connor McGregor has traditionally done that, we've seen the best version of Connor McGregor. Now, I think Ray's bringing up a great point. Now, you know, is it enough to do that over the course of three months, six months, even a year, when say, the majority of that time frame over the last five years has been maybe not treating your body that great. I don't know, and I think raised you know, smart to point that out. It's like everybody is different and how they can treat their body and how they can come back to those certain things. I think what's probably even more worrisome in some ways is being out of competition for that long. The sport will pass the if you're not keeping up and evolving. However, I think Connor McGregor has been very honest in his assessment in himself and how he's approached the sport, how he's approaching the sport now. I think he's way more mature in what he's saying, and those are really good signs it's gonna be interesting. I also think that if you're gonna fight Max Holloway, you're fighting him at the right time, and you're also fighting him in the right way class at one seventy, especially given Connor size versus Max Holloway. Not that Max Holloway is small at all, but I think those are things that are slightly in favor of Connor McGregor. And guess what, he's also coming in as an underdog in this fight, which is also kind of a good position. To be in because I think Connor loves surprising people as well, so I think he has all those things going for him. I do think it's a very difficult fight for him. I think it comes down to how Connor is coming into this fight on a technical level. Is he forcing the knockout? Is he believing in his power alone? Or do we get the vintage Connor McGregor that realized that it's his creativity and offbeat rhythm that made him special. That's that's what I'm most interested in seeing this version of Connor McGregor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I just think he always kind of struggled with endurance a little bit, and that that can't get better as you get If anything that gets, that's one thing is hard to keep up as the endurance part. And and I think Callaway's got a good guess tank. If he could throw a lot of volume at him and make him react like he's just I think that battery will go down on him. And I don't know that's the way I'm looking at it, but who knows. It's a tough call. When was how long ago was the Dustin fight? How many years ago was.
Speaker 7: That twenty twenty one. I mean, that's a long time ago.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, remember in boxing, if you took off a couple of years to come back, even what Lennon did with Hagler, like those kill this man, but I do. But look that both were forty five is so I think it's going to transfer over good for both of them.
Speaker 4: Devil's advocate over here right now.
Speaker 7: So what if?
Speaker 4: What if maybe Connor wasn't taking his training so seriously back then, and and what if some of it has to do with the way cut and at one seventy maybe he'll be at full power. I'm not saying that's the case, because it does look like that.
Speaker 7: Seventy right, he hasn't cut weight in ages, you know, Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look look if I'll say this, if anybody could do it, it's kind of McGregor. I mean, he's proven. I mean he always, you know, more or less backed up whatever he was saying. And but you know, your brain starts to think you could still do things that your body just isn't in agreement with. And I think that's where he's at. Sure, Like he's a proud guy, and of course he's going to say the right things and he was always what I always admired about him was he was always gracious in defeat or winning, like he always had a realistic approach. I think that'll help him. I don't think he's you know, stupid any means. I think he understands it. But Kenny, there's so many things that come in. Is it a payday? Is it?
Speaker 6: This? Is it that?
Speaker 2: What's the real motivation? It's it's I can't get inside, everybody says. I'm sure his coaches know exactly where he's at, you know what I mean, they've seen it. But you know, for us, we're outside just looking in, guessing and pontificating or you know what, what's gonna happen here or there, or how he's gonna feel. But I just think a general in being general is that that's a long lay of five years. And it wasn't like.
Speaker 5: The Dustin't counterfight was a lightweight John No, No, he hasn't fought a light light scen twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: Oh I see a lightweight fight here, Okay.
Speaker 5: No, he fought Serny in twenty twenty at welterweight, and then he fought Poury a twice at welterweight so last time he cut wait was twenty eighteen against Kabbe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's coming off two losses. A long time. The Seroni fight was over kind of quick. I don't know he's got it. He's literally got a big mountain to climb. He yeah, but I will I will say this. What I really agree with is he's fighting Holloway at the right time.
Speaker 5: Well, we said, I said when we first had a betting line and Connor was plus three ten, that there's no world in which he closes there. And right now he's plus two oh five on Draftking sports books. So it seems as though some money has come in on Connor McGregor. Ray, you headed to the gym right now or what?
Speaker 2: I'm actually taking off for a while, And I'm really was kind. I didn't think I was making the podcast, and I got up and I go, geez, I feel pretty freaking good. But you know, two hours from now, with tomorrow, I could be sleeping in the middle of the gym, I don't know. So I'm gonna go in later and teach, but right now I'm gonna chill out and try to decompress and get my body back to where it should be.
Speaker 7: What's for lunch?
Speaker 2: Ray, I'm gonna go out with my friend John montalone to go get something a nice. I forget where we're.
Speaker 7: Going, but we're going somewhere, all right, have a great day, all.
Speaker 2: Right, guys, gat to see you. So And if everybody is seriously, I can't be held responsible. I'm fucking it might not come across like that, but I'm fucking delirious.
Speaker 5: But hey, and I can't be held responsible for suggesting that the McGregor fights against Pourier were at seventy because some sites are saying fifty five. Wikipedia says seventy, but it looks like they were at fifty five fifty and really, and.
Speaker 2: I'm really impressed with au j Cliffe because I saw him in Baku, so I know he would through. Where does he live?
Speaker 7: California?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is that a quicker ride than the New York For that was?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: I think a lot of us talking heads are just conditioned to grabbing a mic when our heads are I think, you know, I actually think if you were to watch this back and self critique, you'd be pretty satisfied.
Speaker 7: You know, I have you killed it?
Speaker 4: Ray, You're the man, dude.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks funny, take it easy, guys, you.
Speaker 5: Too, Ray Long a minute every week here on the Anakin Florian Podcast. So yeah, So Connor McGregor, my apologies. Ken Flow did cut to fifty five twice that year, and now when I think about him, you know it was a smaller version. He has said that he's a welterweight now, so if he wins this fight, right, and Islam Makasha were to still be the champion, right. I mean, it's crazy to think about Connor beating Max Holloway, the former featherweight champion at seventy and somehow passing the Michael Moralesis and Carlos Protests of the world.
Speaker 7: But you know it's going to be interesting. It really is.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean, we told you that plus three ten betting value was gonna go away, and it's gone away considerably. A few other things I want to get to before we open some cards, Yes, and let us know how you feel about the card opening, because I absolutely love it. We save it for the end of the show, but if that's something that is somehow off putting to a whole bunch of you, then let us know.
Speaker 7: I think it's fantastic, Kenny, So a.
Speaker 5: Boost Magametov beat mikhal Olikshiguk with a guillotine and nice showcase of a Boost's skills.
Speaker 7: And I just wanted to say this.
Speaker 5: I don't necessarily need a response of any kind, but when I look at Sean Strickland, and I mean I found myself on fucking Liz Carmush's Wikipedia page today, Okay, but when I look at Sean Strickland in some of these non title fights wins over a Boost, Magametov on short notice, nas Ordini Mavov without a full camp in a main event, you know, and I look at everything that this guy has done against everybody not named Dricus du plus c right, she might have an adas sonia. I mean, dude, it's just impressive because a Boost is a middleway who I think is really really good.
Speaker 4: You know, He's built different, man, There's no other way to say it. The way that he goes out through and competes. He's very unique style.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: He shows up pretty much every damn time, dude. So yeah, I think when we look back on aside from Sean Strickland outside of the cage, when you look at what he accomplished inside the cage, I think, but we'll look back at his career fondly and go, Wow, that dude was something else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no bonus for a boost, but a great performance, just the way he snatched that guillotine and then modified it a little bit. Just wanted to acknowledge American top teams a Boos Magametov. All right, So yeah, I've been spending a lot of money on cards, basketball cards, football cards, baseball cards, mixed martial arts cards. I've been buying these UFC tops chrome Right, maybe I should reach out to somebody. I'm not good at asking for things, but this is Homa Fight Repacks. And if I told you a sixty dollars investment could land you a sixteen hundred dollars UFC card, perhaps you might be interested. It's powered by Collectibles dot Com. You can download the Collectibles app, but basically you secure your packet. Inside is an already graded authentic UFC card from there. Depending on the value, some choices keep it in your online vault, ship it home to your collection, or move it instantly right back to Collectibles dot Com Homa Fightcards dot Com. Check it out or download the Collectibles app. Get in on the action, because sometimes the biggest wins don't happen inside the octagon. All right, we're in Ken Flow's account and we'll see how it goes. Homo Fied Exclusive MMA repacks. This is a sixty dollars card. There are one hundred and fifty dollars elite cards. We'll see if Kenny's getting the itch later with his robust balance.
Speaker 4: What we got here, Cody oping, Now I said, we have.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, all.
Speaker 5: Right walka twenty twenty three Pinini Select UFC Sparks Memorabilia Johnny Walker Red Prison PSA seven. They're offering you thirty six dollars and fifty cents back. Kenny, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: I'll take it. I'll take that. Yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 7: Kenny's gonna sell that. It's a PSA seven.
Speaker 5: So Kenny, Nate Bronson, one of our fine producers, he of all the Smoke Fight fame, would like to incentivize you for your second purchase today to buy an elite card.
Speaker 4: I think I should. I got the money, all right.
Speaker 7: He was easy to convince.
Speaker 5: So this is now going to be an one hundred and fifty dollars card and gives Kenny and in theory. His son archer a chance to reel in a big one. So this is one hundred and fifty. It's a Homo fight elite MMA packet.
Speaker 2: It's gold.
Speaker 7: It's as gold as gust the gorilla. Kenny, let's see wow do it?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 7: All right? So Kenny, I like that gold. Imagine if you get herb Dean. Oh no, you won't. You won't with an elite, you won't get a referee.
Speaker 4: I mean he's not in the annek power ranking, so.
Speaker 7: I have to he's not on the top one, no.
Speaker 4: Leading lion.
Speaker 5: Okay, So twenty twenty two Panini Don Russ Optic UFC number one thirteen. Lee jing Lyong Signature Pink PSA ten. They're offering you seventy six dollars, which is half of what you just paid. So this is a rated rookie Lee Jinglyong in the Pink PSA ten.
Speaker 7: That's a cool card. Uh, you do what you want. It's your account.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a it's audio.
Speaker 7: You have to keep it. You have to keep it. We keep autographs with the fans. So you let's do it. You don't have a choice. Thank you for letting it. That is cool.
Speaker 5: That is a rated rookie pink auto Lie Jing Leon Amazing China.
Speaker 7: I'm old. I know Ray Longo is old er. I'm old.
Speaker 5: I did not see the autograph. I saw the little rookie car thing up in the corner. I saw the beautiful PSA pink ten on the leach, but I did not see. Yeah, the Chinese autograph. That's sick. I would give that to Archer and not an MMA fan if it were me, But you know, I mean the lea.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 5: It's it's just gonna have value for a UFC fan. I don't think it's gonna have great monetary value. So I'm gonna open up a couple of cards today of the sixty dollars variety, and we're looking for either a card that we can add to our collection, a card that we can give to a UFC fan who listens to the Anakindfloring podcast, or potentially one that is of such value that we keep longer term. So here we go, home of fight Repacks. Here live on the Anakin Floran podcast. Come on, man, set the tone for the rest of my day. Twenty twenty three, Penadian instant UFC Jung Yong Lee PSA ten. We will sell that back for forty four dollars and fifty five cents. If I have called that man's fight, I apologize. I don't remember junk yong, all right, So we get forty one dollars eighty eight cent payout. So I lost nineteen dollars on that exchange, and that's okay. We're right back at it, right back at it. We got one more purchase for today that says nothing of what I might do personally on the back end of the program.
Speaker 4: He's very exciting.
Speaker 7: Dun dun, dum oh.
Speaker 5: We're keeping this one because this gus is going to be on the Anakin Flooring Podcast next week twenty twenty one, Panini Prism UFC premium box set Brandon Royval PSA ten.
Speaker 7: We're going to keep that.
Speaker 5: Brandon raw Dog Royvall likely to join us as part of our UFC three twenty nine preview coming up next Monday. We'll talk to a few UFC three twenty nine athletes and we will get you. I think it's eight or nine predictions from Ken Flow and Yanni the Greek for UFC three twenty nine. McGregor the Holloway to Yes Connor McGregor has the red corner if you are scoring at home, thanks to our Jay Clifford, thanks to Ray Longo, Nate Bronson, our fine producer Code Merrow, and we are right back with you in less than seven days, Conley. Subscribe to the Ana Comploring podcast YouTube channel. A lot of exciting things to come over the next few months, but we got one of our biggest and baddest shows next Monday for UFC three twenty nine, and we look forward to seeing you then. Have a great data, better evening for kem Flum, John Anak. Until then, you'll fuck it later.