Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody on dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth podcast The Let the Golden Age begin. Addition, as I go in depth with the Bengals new defensive coordinator, Al Golden, The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by Paycore, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber, future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since a pair of rock legends coming to pay Core Stadium this year. In addition to announcing the hiring of Al Golden on Thursday, the Bengals also shared the news that Billy Joel and Rod Stewart are coming to pay Corps Stadium on September twentieth. I'm a sportscaster, so I like stats. Billy and Rod have won a combined total of seven Grammy Awards. They are both in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and they have combined to sell more than two hundred and seventy million records. Tickets will go on sale next week, Friday, January thirty first, at ten am, and they will go fast. I've got my fingers crossed and my teams will be home that weekend. If so, I will definitely be at the show. Now let's get to my guest. Al Golden was the Bengals linebackers coach in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, leaving after the Bengals played in Super Bowl fifty six to become the defensive coordinator at Notre Dame. His three years in South Bend ended with a trip to this week's National Championship Game with a defense that finished number two in the country in fewest points allowed. Now he's returning to Cincinnati with the task of building a solid defense to go with one of the NFL's best offenses. After three years said Notre Dame, Al Golden is back here in Cincinnati. Is the Bengals defensive coordinator? Does this feel like a homecoming? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: This is really the only home my kids know, you know, my son went to Saint X. My girls are at Summit, you know, And this is the community that we didn't want to move them out of when we did take the new opportunity.
Speaker 3: So I don't even have to relocate.
Speaker 2: I'm the cheapest relocation in the history of coaching here at Cincinnati. But it's a blessing to be home and be surrounded by so many friends and family.
Speaker 1: Well, it certainly suggests how much you and your family loved it here. Why What was it about Cincinnati?
Speaker 2: The community, the relationships starting with this building, starting with Zach, and obviously the culture that he's created, you know, the Brown family and certainly the tentacles that you know that reached out to my kids, friends, their parents, you know, all of those things, the high school relationships, all those things. So it's it's a blessing to be back.
Speaker 1: What about the job itself. What appeals to you about being the defensive coordinator of the Bengals?
Speaker 3: Well, Number one, the organization.
Speaker 2: I loved the organization when I was here, and the family atmosphere of it, the leadership of Zach. I enjoyed going to work every day and working with Zach and working with Darren Simmons and some of the people that I'm I'm seeing already today upstairs. Duke and I can go on and on, but that you know, at the end of the day, everything's brick, brick and mortar, but it's the people that endure in your mind and the relationships and and for me that was a big part of it. And obviously to be be here now with what's already here and what's already set up, and obviously having somebody like Joe being the leader of the organization and being your quarterback makes it makes it ultra attractive.
Speaker 1: I've seen some of these words associated with you as a football coach, flexible, energetic, collaborative. What are the core principles of an al golden defense.
Speaker 2: Well, it all starts with the acronym best, right, So number one ball disruption. Put a premium on that. Our number one job is to support our quarterback. And people are like, you know, what does that mean As a defensive coordinator, We've got to get him the ball.
Speaker 3: So that's our number one job.
Speaker 2: Give him opportunities, the e and best his effort and attitude and finish s is.
Speaker 3: The situational masters.
Speaker 2: Just being great in the red zone, being being awesome on third down, understanding how to conduct a two minute drill, and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: And then t is tackling.
Speaker 2: So those are the things that we really private ourselves on. More than that, the overarching theme of our defense is empowerment. So at the end of the day, whether it's Logan, the safeties, whoever it is, they have to make, you know, the decisions on the grass, and we have to empower them as coaches to make the decisions and get us in the best defense and make sure everybody's playing.
Speaker 3: You know, one unified call.
Speaker 1: You were here when the Bengals drafted Logan Wilson and obviously helped develop him. How significant is it to have him still here to incorporate your defense.
Speaker 2: I just can't wait to see him, to be honest with you, he was one of my favorite players of all time, just the way he conducted himself, the pro that he is. I know he got banged up a little bit last year, so I know he's gonna have a little edge to him, and and I want to help him every way I can maximize and become, you know, the best player that he can possibly be, the best leader and I just can't wait to get to.
Speaker 3: Work with him.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame was number one in the country each of the last two years. And pass efficiency defense that is obviously so important in the NFL right now, What are some of the keys to defending the pass?
Speaker 2: I think you have to be flexible. You said it earlier. I don't think you can be rigid in your system. And you have to have a you know, an offense. You know, you have to have a defense that looks at the offense every week and says who and what can cause you to lose, and then obviously be malleable enough that you can adopt and adjust to what they do best and try to eliminate that. So part of being really good in past defense is you're not a flight afraid to play different coverages. It can't just be locked into one thing. But give the quarterback different looks pre snap, change the look post snap, and just make sure you have enough that you're trying to direct the ball away from the things that they do best.
Speaker 1: How do you do that and be complex for the opposing team's quarterback but still play fast?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think the biggest part of that is to understand that the off season is critical. If you want to play fast during the season, you've got to push yourself through the off season. So the teaching, the OTAs, the mini camps, all of those things are going to be critical. And I'm a big believer in not walking in on a Tuesday and creating something, but rather drawing from the reservoir and saying, Okay, this is why.
Speaker 3: We put this in.
Speaker 2: We put this in for this quarterback and this wide receiver or this tight end, and this is the week we're going to use it. And now all of a sudden, the players have recall and that's what breeds you know, confidence, that's what breeds success and ultimately allows them to play fast.
Speaker 1: How valuable is your time in the AFC North.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's really I think it's really valuable. Everything that we're going to do is on the backdrop of the AFC North. So you know, how we take the ball away, how we tackle, the drills that we do, the things that we need to you know, defend are all going to be on the backdrop of of the AFC North in the off season. So everything starts with with the division. That's how we got there the last time. And you know, once you get in the tournament, we're gonna be tough to beat with the quarterback that we have.
Speaker 1: How close these days are coaching at college defense and coaching an NFL dese?
Speaker 2: I think that's that's a great question, because it's really it's blurred a lot more than it was a decade ago. You just see, you know, more quarterback runs now, more RPOs, And I think the biggest thing that college teaches you is you have to have a very very flexible system because you could be playing Navy one week and and then you know, Florida State the next week or USC so every every every offense is is of its own DNA, you know, and you've got to be able to be flexible enough and have a system that that you know, can bend and contort to solve the problems that each presents.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Joe Burrow earlier. You've got Joe, You've got Jamar. You've got tremendous players on offense that are obviously well compensated as they should be. They're worth every penny, but that means there's less money to spend elsewhere, and the Bengals are going to have to have young players on defense that's just the way it works. Is your college experience helpful in developing those young guys?
Speaker 2: I think development is at the core of everything that we do on defense and making sure that we're great at you know, ball disruption, we're awesome at tackling, and that we understand the situations.
Speaker 3: And then once the guys.
Speaker 2: Understand that this is what we want, how do we refine it and quality control it and get better And ultimately to empower means to give them the culture so that they're handing it down to the next group, or you know, if the veterans come in and they're learning it now, we draft some guys or bring some guys in that they can manage it in the locker room, and that's how it catches fire. And so I think if we're going to be young, that's great, but it doesn't mean we can't execute a really, really high level. And there are no excuses at this level. Certainly, you know, we're on the clock and we got to get to work.
Speaker 1: As you know from your previous experience here, the assistant coaches have a significant voice in the drafting process and in the free agency process. Is that's something that appealed to you about coming back.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 2: I think it's a very very collaborative, you know system in terms of that process, you know, the free agency and then ultimately the draft, and I love to be in a part of that. I loved having a voice and more than anything, just share the vision. It was the vision of the linebackers, you know, four and five years ago, and now it's more just the vision of how we see the pieces coming together and what we need to you know, to really operate.
Speaker 3: You know, for a twenty one game season.
Speaker 1: What are some of the biggest things you look for with evaluating defensive talent?
Speaker 2: I think football IQ is really important, you know. I always say, like it's pretty easy to see guys that are outstanding on tape. You can look at them and see that they're they're just different athletically. But what's going to endure in in this locker room and in the NFL in general is the process?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You know, do they have a process? Are they jim rats? Do they love being around the film room? Are they are they hanging around the weight room or it's trying to get extras, uh, stretching and things of that nature. What's their football IQ like? You know, are they audible, are they demonstrative? You know, did they lead their defense? You know, if you're looking at linebackers, did you run your defense? It's really important.
Speaker 3: Safeties, communication, Those are just some of the things.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can go on and on, but I think ultimately, you know, you have you have to have one, you know, a bunch of guys that are confident, that are that we're leaders in their organization, that are verbal and can solve problems on the grass because the way offenses these days, a lot of you know, you can't have the perfect call. You got to get us into a call that everybody's on the same page and we can operate as one on.
Speaker 1: With all in a moment. But first, a quick reminder that the Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. You've got the NFL SAC leader on your defense in Trey Hendrickson. Obviously you worked with Trey in the Super Bowl season in twenty twenty one. What's he mean to the Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: D fierce competitor. I just remember what a fierce competitor he was and how much it meant to him. And ultimately, you know, our job is going to be just you know, number one, get them into passing downs, get them into throwing downs, get them into third and longer so that we can use his strengths. And then from there, our job is to get him the matchup that we need for him to continue to play at a really, really high level. And I've always admired him from day one, just how explosive he was and how tough he was and how competitive he was. And you know, the one thing about that Super Bowl year, Trey, you know, played his best when his best was needed, and he he was, you know, awesome there. And I can't wait to be reacquainted with him.
Speaker 1: Is it a priority to add pass rushing help?
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 2: Always, if you have an offense that scores, uh, and you could take the ball away and and and be good in the red zone and be good on third down, you know, you hope you're playing with the lead a lot, and uh, if you're playing with the lead, you got to have pass rushers and and that that that doesn't just mean the four down pass rushers can come from anywhere in terms of the linebacker group, longer linebackers, guys that can move to the edge or move around and give us rushes anywhere. But it's all about finding the matchups that you need on third down and and obviously make making sure that everybody that contributes on defense is doing what they do best.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like it's important to add size inside, particularly playing six games in the AFC.
Speaker 2: North, no doubt, especially with the running attacks that we'll see. I haven't looked at the schedule yet. Overall, that's something we'll do in the off season. But obviously if you can stop the run, and more importantly than that is you can't always play an out number box in this day and age in the NFL, and so you need some guys that can gap in half or get the ball on the ground without having an out number box. And I think that's where the scheme is important. That's where having that size and strength and you know, those are the guys that you know we're hoping to move forward with you know, in the future, what's your base, Well, for two nickels, the base if it was twelve or twenty one personnel, probably four to three.
Speaker 3: But it's going to be flexible.
Speaker 2: It's not just you know, this is you know, we're not just wooden statues.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We we try to provide different looks and be crafty with that. And I think once we get in here and we see our personnel, we'll go We'll do it our what our guys do best.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame had viper position. What is that? And is that something you will try to incorporate?
Speaker 3: And since it is, what do we call him here? The rush or what's he called here?
Speaker 2: Do you know the combination kind of outside back rush and yeah, so it's uh, I think that's what it was called here when I left.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing. It's just different nomenclature.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, somebody that has the flexibility to you know, rush the pasture, but enough athleticism to drop and obviously enough length to set the edge when when called on.
Speaker 1: It's been reported that Jerry Montgomery is going to be the defensive line coach. Do you have a pre existing relationship with Jerry and what can you tell us about.
Speaker 2: Him just going against him when I was in the NFC North with the Lions, just going against him, how much respect we had for him, obviously had Mike Daniels back then and Mike's hey day in his prime.
Speaker 3: I know Mike thinks the.
Speaker 2: World of him, and and I've had some interaction with him and just really really impressed with the way he operates his room, and and you know what he believes in and how he operates on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: So excited to get going with him.
Speaker 1: Any thoughts on how to try to avoid a slow start, Well, I think, you know, when you talk about something like that, I think that's more we get together, you know, you know, pitch coach Simmons, myself, Zach, the staff in general, and and that's kind of an in house thing, like what do we need to do in house wise to solve that problem because obviously that that's that's a sensitive subject in terms of you know, we all know that that's.
Speaker 2: Something that will be on the dock at this offseason in terms of starting faster, But in terms of giving you ideas, I think that would that would you know, it's it's best to keep that in house and and work through Zach on that.
Speaker 1: What are some of the first things on your plate for this job.
Speaker 2: Well, take a deep breath, you know, make sure we get we get the right guys on the bus in terms of hiring, and make sure everybody's compatible with what we want to do.
Speaker 3: That's really important.
Speaker 2: There's so many great coaches in the NFL, and the most important thing is compatibility and supporting each other and making sure you're all on the same page page in terms of what you want to teach. I think the other thing then is you know, the acquisition of talent. You know what where do we need to go, and you know whether it's the retention of certain guys. But those are all the decisions that are going to be made here in the next month, and I'm looking forward to getting to work on that and obviously getting reacquainted with so many guys that we shared great things with a couple.
Speaker 3: Of years ago.
Speaker 1: How closely have you stayed in contact with Zach and how closely have you followed the team.
Speaker 3: I'm not a big.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not a big phone guy or whatever, But I think the one thing is just how much respect that I've had for Zach and just wishing him good luck and then he doing the same. Or whether you know Darren Simmons or Joey Bose or whoever it is, you know, just guys that I have an incredible familiarity with respect for. And then just knowing how hard to is, you know, to win and win consistently, and and just making sure those guys know we're always We're always thinking of them. We were great fans when we weren't here, and uh, just an honor to be back and uh and and call ourselves Bangles again.
Speaker 1: What are your most vivid memories of Super Bowl fifty six?
Speaker 2: The probably the most vivid memory is probably not a great one.
Speaker 3: It was when the confetti was falling.
Speaker 2: Just it was surreal, you know, uh, that that it was over and we and we came up short. And I think, you know, having been in the last game of the year, you know, three years apart is something special. And uh, I know Zach feels this way. You know, we got to do everything we can to get back there and and hopefully rewrite that last little script.
Speaker 1: You came down to meet with me right after being upstairs and meeting with Mike Brown. What is it about Mike that allowed you to develop a tight bond with him?
Speaker 2: Number One, He's so easy to talk to. It's like talking to your father or grandfather. I just think he's a people's person. You know, he's part of the fabric of the community. And that's the thing I think, just the family just you know, you're walking in you get hugs from Katie and Troy and Elizabeth and Caroline and PB and just it's just it's a you know, you feel like you're part of a family and it makes you feel good because you feel like that in some way, maybe you improved it the last time you were here and maybe that's why this opportunity was available now.
Speaker 3: But mister Brown is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's amazing for him, you know, to be you know, still hands on and it means the world to him.
Speaker 3: And what would be what.
Speaker 2: Would be more meaningful for all of us to bring a championship to him.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of Cincinnati connections on the Notre Dame staff, Marcus Freeman, obviously, Gino Goodueling, Mike Nickens and others. Did you guys talk about Cincinnati frequently?
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 2: We're all fans. I mean, we're all no, we all wanted the Bengals to win, you know. And uh, you know Doug Rossfeld, you know, he was coaching at Moeller when I was, you know, head.
Speaker 3: Coach in college.
Speaker 2: You know, so I would I would you know, go by there or he sent us some players and that kind of thing. So just that the connections are are. There's no escape in those connections. And the one thing that everybody says is the same thing, the sense of community here, how special the place is. And uh, it's a place that a lot of people love to call home. You know, these these high schools in this area. This is like colleges in other places. The alumni, the sense of family. Uh, and it doesn't matter, you know, where you go in this area. It's just amazing how proud people are to say that I went to mol I went to say An, Next, I went to Elder. You know, I can go on and on, but you get the idea. It's just a it's just a really special place.
Speaker 1: He been very successful college head coach at Temple in Miami. You coach offense and defense in the NFL. You've been a defensive coordinator at a couple of stops in college football. How have all of these experiences added up to make you the person that can help take the Cincinnati defense to the next level.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know you talked earlier about being flexible and being collaborative.
Speaker 3: I think those are those are.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody wants to be empowered, And how people work best is when you give them a job to do and then you give them all the resources, time, energy they need to be successful on it. And for me, I think I do a really good job and plotting the course and then letting the guys work, you know, and being there to support every every you know, every step of the way. And I think whatever it takes for us to add up to more. Like at the end of the day, that's what the NFL is. It's like Nascar, right, everybody's got the same car, everybody's got the same tires, everybody's got the same gas. You know, how do we how do how does our you know, our culture to collect capacity of our people create more value on any given Sunday than our opponents. And that's what we're trying to do. And I think that starts with our leadership in Zach and Darren and Pitch and myself and obviously if everybody on the staff feels like they have a voice and they feel like they have something to contribute, then man, I'm going to you know, ideas, ideas are important.
Speaker 1: Great to have you back, Appreciate your time to work with you again.
Speaker 3: Great to see you.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth Podcast, brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans by us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to The Bengals Booth Podcast.