Speaker 1: Pushkin. So how long have you been trying to make a robot walk?
Speaker 2: It's been my entire career, starting from why I went to college in the first place.
Speaker 1: Why why that particular problem? Why is that your life's work?
Speaker 2: You know, there's few things more interesting and more dynamically complex and more elegant than the way animals move in the world. And to be able to get machines that can move that way, they can interact physically with the world the way humans and animals do. What a fun and interesting thing to work on for a career.
Speaker 1: I'm Jacob Goldstein and this is What's Your Problem? The show where I talk to people who are trying to make technological progress. My guest today is Jonathan Hurst. He's a professor at Oregon State University and founder and chief robot officer at Agility Robotics. Agility Robotics has built a robot called Digit. Digit looks kind of like a person. It walks around on two legs. It's got this flat, rectangular head, and it has two arms that it can use to pick stuff up. Jonathan's problem is this, how can you make a walking robot that can do useful work and that companies will actually pay for. Jonathan says that robot Digit is already being tested out in warehouses in the real world.
Speaker 2: We are deploying robots with cost We have two announced. We've announced a couple with Amazon and with GXO. You know, you place an order and Digit handles that order as part of the workflow that has happened is happening right now, and.
Speaker 1: So specifically, what are your robots doing well? First at Amazon, Yeah, the first use case or the first class of use cases that works for us is picking up these plastic tote plastic bins and putting them somewhere else. And then in warehouses, Yeah, but anywhere warehouses, in logistics, in manufacturing, you know, the whole environments like that that are a bit structured. They're kind of like there's these islands of automation they call them, you know, where one machine is putting things in a bin, another machine sorts bins and sends them different parts of the warehouse. Right now, sometimes a person will stand there, the robot will tell them which bin to pick up, and then all they are basically is a manipulator for the robots system. They pick up the bin and put it on the conveyor belt and wait for the robot to tell them the next thing to do. And it's really hard to hire people for that. There are a lot of open jobs in that, and so it's kind of a perfect place for Digit to walk in in this relatively structured first use case. Now, digits of course going to evolve towards picking up boxes, depalletizing, loading and unloading you know, tractor trailers and eventually getting out to things like retail and stocking shelves and you know sticks in hospitals carrying things around and eventually become a consumer product. So that's where you are today and where you want to get. I want to talk now about how you got here. Sure, and there's this really basic set of things you had to figure out just around how locomotion works, right, how people walk, also interestingly and sort of surprisingly, how how birds like ostriches walk. So I know there is this series of robots that you built on the way on the way to Digit, right, they were two before and then Digit and it seems like going through those and what you figured out the sort of key insight on each one is a really nice way to get a kind of deeper insight into how it works and what you had to understand to make a robot that can walk great, just being a really hard problem, right, Like there's like lots of robots that we don't even sort of think of as robots arms, and you know, self driving cars are arguably a kind of robot and whatever, but like getting a robot to walk is clearly a very hard problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, So where I started in trying to understand how to make a machine work is on the biomechanics, try to understand how animals work. And a lot of biomechanics is about specific muscles and muscle groups and joints, and we're instead looking at holistically from a big picture, what is the center of mass of an animal doing? What are the forces happening on the ground. I did this collaboration with Monica Daily at the Royal Veterinary College and we looked at guinea fowl and ostriches and turkeys and you know, a whole bunch of different sizes.
Speaker 1: Why birds. It's really interesting to me that you did that.
Speaker 2: Why because humans are weird? How many other bipeds are there? You know, all the evolved bipeds, all of the extant existing bipeds in the world.
Speaker 1: Everything that walks on two legs. Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: Those are all theropods. They're all kind of more like a bird than they are like or a monkey. They have evolved far longer than we have. You know, we've been out of trees for a very short period of time. Compared to all of the other existing bipeds in the world. They can all run much faster than we can for you know, very efficiently using less energy insul So.
Speaker 1: Like an ostrich is a better model for just abstract walking on two legs. Oh sure, I mean, yeah, I love that, But I want to be clear.
Speaker 2: What we're not trying to do is study how it does an Ostrich run versus how a human runs. What we're trying to do is study what is a fundamental truth between all animals in how they run, so we can try and weed out things that have to do with the size of the animal, or things that have to do with where exactly the ankle joint is or how long this joint is or that one. We want to know what is the same amongst all animals to walk and run.
Speaker 1: It's like the Platonic ideal of bipedalism. The sort of the fundrationing theory of it. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so biomechanists have been looking at this since the seventies and thinking about this in terms of spring mass models of locomotion. And it was only in like the two thousands sometimes that I think it was Hart McGuire and Andre Seifarth put together a paper that showed, hey, this spring mass model reproduces all of the behavior we see for walking and running and transitions between these gates.
Speaker 1: When you say, when you say spring mass model, that sounds big and exciting, But just to be clear, what do you mean when you say spring mass model.
Speaker 2: I mean a mathematical representation of a pogo stick. Go on, Okay, So a pogo stick is basically the simplest thing that can run, and a kangaroo looks a lot like a pogo sticky. Now, if you just stick a pogo stick on each leg, now you're bipedal running, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then if you add a whole bunch of complexity to it, you have heel toe and you know, knee joints and all this other stuff. But if you really boil it down and try and make it as simple as possible, you get to some pretty basic math models that do represent how the progression of the center of mass of the animal moves, and how the ground reaction forces progress and so on.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so if I picture just like a lump of mass on top of two pogo sticks, you got it. I'm kind of in the right.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're absolutely okay. So that's a roughly a math model that at least gives you a very good concept of how do all animals run, horses, ghost, crabs, humans, ostriches, whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, So this paper comes out, this paper that says, think of a lump of mass on top of two pogo sticks. You you know about it because you're in this world? What do you What effect does it have on you? What do you do as a result of this.
Speaker 2: What I was looking at? And here's the argument at the time. Do these spring mass models simply seem to describe the things we're observing, you know? Or is it describing core physics of how it works? Like, in other words, if you build a spring mass model and a policy that works, is it going to make a robot stabilize? Or is it simply like a picture that kind of looks like what the animals are actually doing.
Speaker 1: So like if we actually do the lump of mass on top of two pot sticks as a robot, will it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so look the question is, you know, how do you control these things? And then how does that translate into walking and running which had never really been done before that way, you haven't done this continuous transition between walking and running and changing the speed and everything else, and it's unknown how to stabilize that over all kinds of terrain. So that's why we built Atreus. That's why we built the robot Atreus.
Speaker 1: And so what is Atreus?
Speaker 2: So Atreus is it is a bipedal robot.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does Atrius look like?
Speaker 2: So Atrius was on the Late Night with Stephen Colbert and he described it as a microwave on stilts.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good. So it doesn't it doesn't look humanoid at all. It looks maybe like a dancing alien or like a moon lander or something, but not humanoid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely not. So it doesn't look like an animal in any way. But it's designed entirely to be the math model of what we see an animal running. And the name Atrius is an acronym for assume the robot is a sphere, right. The whole idea is the robot is this simple math model.
Speaker 1: Where it's just some mass in the middle and then some very light springy legs.
Speaker 2: That's it. And so what we ultimately showed with Atreus it's the first robot ever to reproduce human walking gate dynamics. The robot walks across the force plate, a graduate student walks across the forest plate. Looking at the data, you can't actually tell a difference.
Speaker 1: Huh. So, like from the plate's point of view, it feels the same whether you're robot or a human is walking across.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: So it's not true for earlier robots that looked like they were walking like humans.
Speaker 2: They would look the same. But if you looked at the dynamics of it, if you looked at the ground reaction forces, they differed quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Why is that important? Why is that important?
Speaker 2: It's just one symptom, right to show that, hey, we've actually captured the physics here. But the other symptom that's important is we are able to walk and run outdoors over all kinds of terrain without any sort of perception. The robot can handle amazing obstacles and it would just soak them up, you know, going over potholes, going from grass to pavement, going over big pieces of plywood we would throw in its way.
Speaker 1: And you're saying it didn't do this because it had like a clever brain. You're saying it was just the physics of the brainless machine was able to deal.
Speaker 2: No cameras on it, It had no awareness of the environment. It was a very simple spring mass model, very very simple control that did nothing but try to balance that. And it was able to just absorb all these kinds of disturbances and just keep on going.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a big deal. I agree.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited about this, right. That is the point that we decided we were going to found Agility Robotics. We said, you know, this was a mission for like years and years and years. That is why I became a professor, is to say, my goal here in academia is to show that this spring mass physics is real and really make sure we understand that well. And if we can show that and prove that and with this ATREUS project, we then can take the next steps. Right, So that's what we did. It was a scientific kind of breakthrough. But the machine could only walk and run. It couldn't stand, it couldn't turn. You know, it breaks often. If it ever fell, it would just be completely destroyed. So it's not a productive, useful machine. It's a science demonstrator.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have a TRIOS that is academically it kind of intellectually a breakthrough, right, but nobody's going to buy it to do anything. It's not useful in a practical sense. What do you do next?
Speaker 2: Okay? So at that point we say, hey, you know, we understand a really significant portion of what does it take to make a robot that can go where people go? And what an opportunity? This is? What are all the things that robots are going to be able to do when they can be coexisting with humans? Right? And the barrier to moving forward on that now is more about execution on engineering and execution on building a use case in a business around it.
Speaker 1: Because you feel like you've solved the sort of core threshold technical problem of a robot that can walk in unfamiliar environments and not fall down.
Speaker 2: Correct, we have the foundation layer of leged locomotion. Now, sure we'd like to add on perception to it so that it can handle stairs effectively and things like that and intentionally handle obstacles. We need to do the engineering of the electrical system and the hardware system that still captures the same physics but can take a beating, can stand, can steer, can start to do things right. So we know we're going to need to build a robot with legs, with manipulators, with sensors. Okay, because so we're kind of going down a path now where we want to take the exact same first principles approach to how do we build a machine that can manipulate things in a human world and get around in it and interact with people. Build a human centric machine. So the first step to doing that was designing a robot that we could sell to other researchers to continue the work on the leg leggs as we then worked towards you know, arms and manipulators, and that was Cassie, our first robot that Agilia Robotics sold. Cassie added the ability to stand in place because it had ankles, and it had the ability to steer because you could turn the legs. But more importantly, it was much more compact and extremely robust, so this robot can fall hard on concrete and you just pick it back up and it can get going again.
Speaker 1: And so, Cassie, I'm looking at a picture of it now. It basically looks like a pair of Ostrich legs. Yeah, it looks like an Ostrich. Does an Ostrich have a wasist? I don't know an ostrich from the waist down, No.
Speaker 2: It doesn't know. Yeah, the pelvis is stationary and a bird fixed rather than a human pelvis, which is mobile.
Speaker 1: So I know it's not technically correct to say that an Ostrich legs bend backwards, but it looks that way, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Their thigh is very short, their knee is up next to their body, and what you perceive as their knee is actually their ankle.
Speaker 1: In designing this robot, how do you get to legs that look like Ostrich legs? Like, it's like convergent evolution, you know, convergent evolution maybe hopefully. Isn't it the case that like cephalopods that like whatever squids have eyes like our eyes, but they evolve totally independently. Is this like that?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of examples of convergent evolution. We can only guess, right because we don't necessarily know, and a scientists only hypothesize the evolutionary pressures that cause animals to be the shape that they are.
Speaker 1: But the pressure that led you you didn't say let's make legs that look like Ostrich eggs. You just did a bunch of math and you wound up with legs that look like Ostrich legs.
Speaker 2: That is correct, and there are a bunch of features on our robot that have gone down a similar path. And I actually love that because when we end up you know, blank sheet, pursue all of the different configuration options and say okay, here's what we think is the optimal choice, and we say, wow, that looks just like a person, or that just looks like a bird or something. It's actually really good. It means we're probably on the right path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's exciting in a way, right, like like you do a bunch of bath and then suddenly you look up and you see an Ostrich.
Speaker 2: But it won't always be that way, right because we're not using muscle and bone. We're using aluminum and you know, electricity, it's a whole different thing.
Speaker 1: In a way, it's surprising that it is right, like you would expect that it wouldn't look at all.
Speaker 2: Familiar, but there are clear differences.
Speaker 1: I suppose I'm projecting this. It's like, whatever is the Ostrich version of anthropomorphizing, right, I'm Ostrich pomorphizing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. And like you said, it's like a cartoon version of an Ostrich leg maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So you've got this robot that is looks to my little brain like a pair of Ostrich legs. It's just a coincidence because it just turns out to be the best way to build a couple legs. And do you sell it to other academics? What do you do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We sold it to some of the top universities in the country and the kind in the world.
Speaker 1: So Cassie is a robot that academics can experiment with and learn from. But it doesn't have arms. It isn't built to do useful tasks. In a minute, Nathan and his colleagues build a robot that does have farms, that can do useful tasks, and that companies like Amazon are testing out in the real world right now. The latest robot from Jonathan's company is called Digit. It has two legs, two arms, It walks around, it picks stuff up, and it looks kind of like a person. But Jonathan says he and his colleagues didn't set out to build a robot that looks like a person.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so like, I'll take you down one of these thought processes that ended up looking like a person. Okay, We said, okay, we need to do some sort of inertial control of this thing because the robot can't turn very well. It's got little feet, and so when you try to turn aggressively, its skids right, okay, and if you look at any other bipads, this is one of the reasons wings evolved. It's because they're running in the stick, going out to catch the air to help them in maneuvering and turn it. You can go in a straight line, but figuring out how to maneuver quickly as hard when you've only got a little foot on the ground. You know, udropeds can really plant all four feet and twist and apply big torchs on the ground, and a biped not so much. You've got one foot at a time. How do you change your orientation?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So we looked at like putting a gyro on board reaction wheels or tails or things like that, because you know, we ruled out reaction wheels because that's just a big thing of brass that has to be mass you don't want in a robot like this. We thought about tails, and you look at any animals with tails, bipeds in particular. Typically that's to control the pitch. In other words, you'd leap off the ground, and then you want to reorient your body and your feet so that your feet land forward rather than you know, just tumbling in the air. Okay, but we don't want to control pitch. We want to control y'all. We want to steer the robot. So what we kind of came up with is that the best way to do that would be a pair of tails that are symmetrical on the front of the back or the side of the side of the robot, so that when you swing those tails, you're controlling exactly down the center line of your yaw, and so that just happens to be where our arms and shoulders are. You know, this bilaterally symmetrical pair of tails that can inertially actuate you around the center and allow you to steer.
Speaker 1: So that's the sort of intellectually elegant version of how you get to a robot that looks like it has arms. You're saying, in fact, in terms of the way you thought of it, it's a pair of tails that happened to sit where our arms sit. I mean, presumably there's a simpler version, which is, you want to build a robot that can do stuff in a world that is built for humans, and having arms would be useful in that context as well. Or no, was it true?
Speaker 2: Member? Yeah, what we're not trying to do is make a humanoid robot that looks like a person. What we're trying to do is on first principles, understand exactly why we do each thing.
Speaker 1: But are you really just adding the arm so that it can turn when it's walking, Like I feel like that's what you're saying, and I'm skeptical.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's also that there were three other reasons why the arms should be there that were all aligned. They were not compromises where you know, putting the arms here is better for one thing or another.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: It's that. Hey, if you go on just the just the path of I want to improve my locomotion capability, you land at the solution of where the arms are. If you go down the path of this robot's going to fall, and we know that it can't just fall and land on its torso it'll break things. How do we put manipulator's arms something on it so that it's going to be able to catch itself when.
Speaker 1: It falls oriented? Okay.
Speaker 2: And then the third one, of course, is picking up things right manipulation in the world and being by manual in your manipulation so that you can basically a giant pincher grass. That's how you pick up boxes and tots and all these things you want to move. That's also the best place for them. So basically, you just set out to build a machine that could go where humans go and pick up things that are the size that humans pick up, and from first principles, with your eyes closed, you wound up with a thing that looks like a guy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so okay, so this is how you get to digit the robot that you're now building and selling to people.
Speaker 2: That's right. So now we're taking this transition right now as a company from that very intellectual and first principles approach that I shared with you to now working with the customer understanding what their use case is, writing down the sets of requirements, like you know, the temperature ranges, the you know, weights of all the things that you're going to be able to pick up, the safety requirements, you know. And it's a massive list, hundreds of things in a list to write down the requirements documents so that we can engineer a system that is a product. Yeah, very different from designing a robot that can do cool things. We're engineering a product, and that's the pivot that our company is in right the second.
Speaker 1: And like I imagine for you personally, that must be a significant shift, right if you spent whatever twenty some years in the kind of abstract academic world of like let's build the thing that works and know think deep thoughts to like let's mass produce a product that people will pay us for. That's quite different.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's fundamentally different. It's a whole different way of thinking. In fact, I changed my title to chief robot Officer, right, and we hired Melanie Wise as our new chief technology officer. She comes out of FET Robotics. She was the founder there and recently sold that company and they were deploying thousands of robots in logistics squarehouses. And she is an absolute expert on understanding customers and product and creating a product. And what we've done is we've shifted our organization. So you know, Melanie is in charge span of that whole product side of the organization and the engineering to make a product. I'm now leading the innovation team.
Speaker 1: So you get to keep doing kind of the stuff you've been doing.
Speaker 2: The things I'm good at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what is the frontier on the innovation side. What are you trying to figure out next?
Speaker 2: It is fundamentally hardware that enables the kinds of physics that we want to achieve, powered by some of these new AI tools. You know, we're getting to a point now where some of these tools will allow us to create behaviors and create things that as an engineer we don't know how to model. Huh, And that's super interesting. So instead you're describing the symptoms of it, and then the system, the learning system, figures out how to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Amazingly different than what you've been describing. You've been describing of like, let's think of you know, first principles, just the physics of the universe, and from that build a machine. And now you're talking about you know, an era when possibly you'll be able to ignore all of that and say to the AI, you figure it out, here's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Well, let me put some caveats on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds ridiculous when I say it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, remember that the AI has to operate on a piece of hardware. Yeah right, And so that piece of hardware we still have to engineer and design to be able to achieve the physics that we want to achieve.
Speaker 1: Though you could say to an AI, here's what we want to do. What should the hardware look like? Maybe in one hundred years you think one hundred, one hundred, who knows one hundred.
Speaker 2: It's fine, fine, three years, you know, future, Not today.
Speaker 1: Not certainly not. So what specifically are you doing today? Are you taking this robot that you have digit and seeing if you sort of put an AI layer in it, on it near it? What can you do?
Speaker 2: Is that what's happening all of the above, So, you know, on the hardware side, So there's a lot on the hardware you do just to make it even possible for the AI to learn. We're building then a whole architecture of a digital twin so that you can learn things in simulation first, and then you know, transfer from sim to reel.
Speaker 1: A digital twin is basically making a version of the robot that exists as software that exists virtually.
Speaker 2: Version of the environment as well that the robot operates in, so that everything can be done, you know, decades of experience on the robot can be done in hours of time through the you know, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So the digital twin is allowing you to try and generate data to train the AI. Is that that's what's the.
Speaker 2: Source of the data, right, A lot of language models and things like that are based on data from the internet. Well, I don't think that that's feasible for robot control because the physics of the hardware is so unique. So even if you're trying to teleoperate this thing, you've got this weird translation between what a person would do to then the robot trying to mimic that, which is probably not the dime of the right.
Speaker 1: Dynamic robot doesn't actually walk like a person, even if it looks like it's.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right, everything's sort of different internally about it. How it would control itself.
Speaker 1: What what what are you worried about? Like you what could go wrong and how are you trying to get it not to go wrong?
Speaker 2: So before I talk about what I'm worried about, let me tell you what I'm excited about. Fair We had ten of these Cassie robots out in the world, and so researchers all over the place for for years and years are working on various kinds of controllers. When we were able to successfully get a learned policy working on Cassie, were to run a five k across campus, we were able to the world record in the one hundred meter dash. We were able to.
Speaker 1: Do for a robot. Yes, and when you say learned, you mean developed with machine learning as opposed to in the old way. Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Correct? It's an entirely machine learned policy that was learned in simulation and then put on the thing.
Speaker 1: What's a definition of a policy? As you're using the word, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, a policy is just a bunch of math that takes as input all of the sensors and then spits out numbers that describe the torques you should apply to the motors.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's sort of if this happens in the world, robot, you should do this set of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're based on you know, but you know it's like the input from thirty encoders or one hundred different sensors, all of that complex input.
Speaker 1: But if this is complicated and the then that are complicated, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you're rreat you're right about that. Yeah, it's an equation.
Speaker 1: Good. So the machine learning basically made the robot work way better.
Speaker 2: It made the robot work much better, and even more importantly, once the pipeline was in place, we can learn new skills and learn new policies much faster with much less engineer time. How we can get there faster and have higher performance using learning approaches to control.
Speaker 1: It's like a productivity like supercharger. It just makes everything go much faster and more efficiently.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a new tool. It's amazing, that's right. Okay, So what am I worried about? Right? What am I worried about? I'm worried that this is one of those kind of black Swan events. Right, this is one of those things that changes everything, and everybody doesn't exactly know what all the implications are yet and what are the you know, the right paths forward, and so everybody's trying everything.
Speaker 1: And this being basically a useful bipedal robot like it, it could be hugely important in ways that we don't understand, and there could be unintended consequences.
Speaker 2: What I actually mean is that this new realization that we can use learning policies to control dynamic robots and machines, yeah, means that the entire way it all robotics controls people have been doing robot controls before is not as relevant. And this new tool that nobody really understands that well yet is clearly the future of how it's going to work.
Speaker 1: So what are I mean? I understand that if it's really a black swan, you don't know what's going to happen, because if you knew, it wouldn't be a black swan, But like, what are you thinking of? What could it mean? You know, plainly, bipedal robots are a very powerful tool, and you could imagine malevolent uses of them, right, I guess, So, I guess we've already got drones. Right, It doesn't matter whether the robot that kills you looks like a dude, right, those things already exist.
Speaker 2: In fact, a humanoid robot is probably the least effective way to do that I think, honestly, my biggest worry about AI in general has a lot more to do with its ability to influence people, its ability to model people's feelings and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So that's more like using large language model for kind of personalized misinformation or that.
Speaker 2: Stat it that's the biggest threat building robots that are going to like take people. I don't know, I just don't see it fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm kind of tired of talking about technological unemployment because the robot looks like a person. It makes me feel like we should touch on it. Do you want to just speak for a moment to the prospect of technological unemployment?
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll say our entire business model is centered around the number of unfilled roles that exist in the logistics environment. It's not centered around how it's going to be less expensive than human Labor's centered around how they actually in geographic locations do not have enough people to provide the service that they're providing, you know, the way they're doing it now, there's no way forward for improved logistics and getting your things in one day and you know, all the stuff that people really really want. There's no path forward to do that with more human labor doing it, it must be automated in a significant way. So you know, that's our whole business model is based on unfilled roles.
Speaker 1: What is your like happy version of the future in whatever number of years seems like the right number of.
Speaker 2: Man These robots are actually safe and smart enough in order to do a lot of useful things in the world. And the relationship with people is kind of like a service animal. And you know, these robots are everywhere and delivering all the packages to your door, and you know, being a telepresence device that you can easily log into and keep in touch with people, and you know, in a lot of warehousing and stocking and you know, doing the dull, dirty, dangerous to classic three d's of robotics. It's we've always wanted that. It's all about improving the quality of life. It's all about letting enabling humans to be more human, letting people do the things that are that they want to do that involve the social interaction and the creativity and the variety that people are so good at, and having robots that can pick up all of the tasks that we'd rather not do, and having robots that can be in environments that are designed around us. Is a really important step to being able to achieve that in a really great way.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: MM. One thing I want to make sure that we get across is kind of the clear argument that the fastest path to general purpose machine that does use full work in human spaces is to do one thing first and then the second thing, and to do it for customers and to get it deployed and to figure out the reliability and the safety and so on. That's the path. There is no good way to just like jump to the answer.
Speaker 1: So basically you're saying, you can't just build a robot that does everything. You have to build a robot that does one thing and then figure out how to make it to a second thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you want to stay on that vision. You want to have your guess of what the everything robot looks like, but you know you're going to be wrong, and so then you start on what's the match to the first thing that it should be able to do, and then you keep on revising and iterating on that path. So I'll give an example. This This is through our entire est then of building the function first and the physics first and the first principles approach to figuring out things like the legs. Right, yeah, I want to point out, like hands, how do you produce a dextrous manipulator? By dexterous, I mean something that can pick up pens and pick up objects and do useful things with the hand, open doorknobs, all the stuff. Right, I don't care how it looks, I care what it does. So what we're doing for our first use case is picking up totes that can have a twenty kilogram bowling ball rolling around in it. That's a very hard thing to pick up. And so now our grippers are these big graspers that can grasp the side of this tote and pick it up. A lot of groups are sort of have these five figured hands on their robots which look like a human's hand, but certainly couldn't pick up those twenty kilogram totes.
Speaker 1: What do you have just done? Pincer sort of basically yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, effectively it's a big sort of four fingered pincher thing that can have leverage on it and grasp the sides of the tote.
Speaker 1: I mean does that mean that it can't do sort of fine motor things. The trade off that you're making this.
Speaker 2: I would say the current pincher design, Yeah, it's not designed to pick up small objects. But you know, we see a vision where that's actually a tool, not a hand. And just like people use tools, robots are gonna use tools. But there's such an opportunity to have the tool be attached at the wrist or the fingers or the elbow or the forearm or wherever. And we don't know exactly how that should be, and nobody does. But one thing I can say with confidence is that these five fingered hands cannot do dexterous manipulation. It's not just a controls problem. They're making the same mistake of creating something that has the same morphology. It looks like a person. It looks like a person, but that doesn't mean it can apply the right forces, or have the right kinematics, or have the right dynamics or the right compliance or anything that. We don't know how to do that. It's one of the grand challenges in robotics. So the fastest path to get there is to start manipulating things and do stuff that has metrics right measures, a.
Speaker 1: Job that someone is actually willing to pay for that's right. So right now it's moving tots around as basically, what's the second job?
Speaker 2: Boxes? Cardboard boxes, huh? And then the third job is starting we want to start doing each picking, you know, picking up things and putting them in the boxes and in the So those are much.
Speaker 1: Smaller things, different than picking up a big punt.
Speaker 2: That's right. And so the question is, and nobody knows the answer to this, is that two different tools or is that one general purpose manipulator that can do both of those things.
Speaker 1: They need to put a different hand on the robot to pick up a little thing versus pick up a big sure, or is it optimal?
Speaker 2: And you know this will be the this gets into customer requirements question rather than fundamental science question. Yeah, that's your that's for your product person to figure out. Yeah, but that's how this is going to evolve. That's how we're going to get to dexterous manipulation in the world in a way that really is meaningful.
Speaker 1: Investors, one job at a ton, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Figure out if you've got the first like you know, the first four or five jobs, and now you've got your requirements, yours of requirements and your measurements and your metrics and now engineers are going to be able to iterate on that really make something work. But just trying to copy a five figure in hand and say now now it's an AI problem completely false, that's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. Let's finish with the lightning round. I've read that you like to jog at night for work, but like, are there specific things that have happened to you or that you've done to try and sort of you know, put yourself in hard walking or running settings and where you've actually had a thing happened and thought, oh, we need to make sure the robot doesn't fall over when X happens.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's more like when you're taking a hike, you know, and you kind of get into the mode of you're just your long day and a long hike and you know, watching and being mindful, I guess, and thinking about what are my feet doing and how is the contact progressing with the ground and how does that feel and why is that happening? And sort of daydreaming while you're thinking that through is a really good way then to start to recognize connections to research papers and connections to things that people have found scientifically, and then start to pull together hypotheses about how you would implement something like this on a robot, or what is necessary because we're human, and what is necessary because it's fundamental to look emotion like why do we have feet? That's very different from bird feet atreus didn't have feet, you know, And then what exactly do we get anyway? Thinking through all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: C three po or R two D two.
Speaker 2: Why that is a tough one. I'm going to say R two D two.
Speaker 1: Not the bipedal one, not because that walks on two legs.
Speaker 2: C three, Well, no, I'm going to change my mind.
Speaker 1: I buyased it. Wait, why were you going to say or two I was going to say to.
Speaker 2: You because C three pos a protocol droid And if it's just about language, why do you have legs? Was On the other hand, you.
Speaker 1: Just you don't need a robot at all, right, you just need a little phone or whatever.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, right, it's a human centric robot. It's a robot that's meant to be a translator and be existing with people in the room and so on, and so actually making something that's more of a humanoid makes more sense if it's basically a social robot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Uh, what's something you wish that a robot could do for you, you know, outside of work.
Speaker 2: Honestly, what I want is for robots to make everything cheaper.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. I love it when technology makes things cheaper. Well, and that's what's been happening for the past couple hundred years, and all of automation has effectively made everybody richer effectively and improved everybody's quality of life because everything is cheaper. And I want to be able to book my vacation to the moon. I want to be able to not really worry about you know, as it is, I don't really worry about how much my phone costs or whatever. If it breaks, it's not an expensive phone, it's fine, it works, and all my software to transfers over. I want everything to be like that. I want my lifestyle to be supported by things that don't really cost a lot. Yes, well, and I mean in the very long run, the sort of technology driven productivity gains lift people out of poverty. Right, everybody cares about our phones, but there are a lot of people who have three dollars a day right now, and it would be great if they could get to three hundred dollars a day.
Speaker 2: Or beyond that. It's just that, you know, all the things that we need become very easy to acquire. Food is no longer, labor on farms is done in an automated way, Labor in terms of logistics and transporting things has done in an automated way, and so all of this stuff becomes so affordable that it's easy to uplift the quality of life of everybody on earth. That is what a lot from Robotics.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Hurst is the co founder and chief robot officer at Agility Robotics. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang. It was edited by Lydia Jane Kott and engineered by Sarah Bruguer. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot FM. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and we'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Problem