Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode Candad spoilers for the first two episodes of Alien Earth on e FX be warned Oo it was Jason good zepsion and on Rosday Night And welcome back to Xtra Vision of the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture. Coming from My Heart Podcast. We're bringing you episodes every Tuesday and Thursday, plus the summer's biggest movies every Friday.
Speaker 2: And in today's episode bad News, Guys, Aliens coming to us. It's happened and Mason's begun and what surprised it was the once again the absolute machinations of the corporation that have done it as a but the entire story of the Alien franchise and guys, something creepies happened to the children. So we're gonna be talking about.
Speaker 1: But first stay away from are you since okay? Alienor of episode one Wow. We open uh contemporaneously just just a few years before the events of the first Alien movie, and we get this epigram to start off with. In the future, the race for immortality will come in three guys, cyborgs haven't seen those yet since we've seen them, and hybrids oh, sounds like a weed dispenser.
Speaker 2: Everyone does at g light, No dro What do you so when you.
Speaker 1: Come home, like after screening and you're looking to relax, do you like to hit the hybrid or do you like to hit the synth?
Speaker 2: Are you a cyborg person? I got to like which one is the sleepiest? So I'm going for cybal because it's probably like mostly humans.
Speaker 1: Thill we open in space, the is sc SS Magino. The year is twenty one twenty. The crew is waking from cryo sleep, and it's all the cinematographical moves from Ridley Scott's masterpiece Alien. You're seeing the crew getting out of their pause. You're seeing them shake off the effects of cryo sleep. You're seeing them having their breakfast after the cryo sleep.
Speaker 2: And smoking a cigarette after the cryo sleep got to be the first thing that you do.
Speaker 1: Right this timeline, we notice that one of the crew members, who I think we all expect is probably the synthetic as mister is being very strange about he's creating. He's he's like reaching out towards one of the crew members who still in cryo and like kind of like gesturing towards the glass being very very strange. We get some very well executed exposition about the current corporate governance structure of Earth and its colonies. Wayland Utani, of which this ship is property of, owns North and South America, as well as Mars and Saturn. The other companies that dominate the world are Dynamic, which has the Moon Prodigy, which is the newest of the big companies that makes synthetics and does ai stuff, and the other the other ones we don't get.
Speaker 2: Are they as important?
Speaker 1: Probably not, because we haven't Probably not, or maybe eventually, but not right now. Mister Tang, the weirdo, shows up to the breakfast in his bathrobe, and he's like invading, particularly the women's space, like sitting right. You know, there's many seats, but he sits right next to this crew mout and makes her uncomfortable. She moves away. The captain shows up and is like, hey, we have issues with the ship. We're burning too much fuel all of this other stuff. You guys need to go work on this. And we also see in these kind of snippets of intercut scenes that the ship is carrying specimens of various alien races, including face huggers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with mister tens Well, like they there is this feeling that sure, he is probably a sin. He's got a weird vibe. And they keep saying like he was looking over the women and like, but I'm thinking probably because he's implanted some aliens. That's like, let's be real, like he's the babies inside the bellies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably always.
Speaker 2: Doing that kind of snat.
Speaker 1: So we get these flashes of violence as we as we blatantly rip off Ridley's kind of dissolve cuts and pans across the crew, and we see.
Speaker 2: They want you to feel that you are really watching and alien movie from the seventies, which I will say the retrofuturist petrology, the production, You really do feel like this just instantly fits in in a way the other movies, haven't.
Speaker 1: I love that the tech is is feels concurrent with the tech that exists in the In the first Alien film, we go to Earth the Prodigy Research Island. It's a collection of islands somewhere tropical. There is a tremulent ill child who is asking mister Kersh about a scorpion. They have this little conversation.
Speaker 2: About say by Timothy Oliphant.
Speaker 1: Mister Timothy looking looking somewhat menacing but still very handsome, and she's concerned about this scorpion. The child, she's afraid of it, but then you know he's mister Kirsch is basically like, oh, don't you know, it's no reason to kill it, because if you kill it, then another one might bite you. Just leave it alone. Then this woman, Dame Sylvia, comes to take the child to the thing that she's about to undergo, and that thing is a consciousness transference into a android body. The child is again terminally ill. Now she sees her new body for the first time, laying on the table. I would describe the new body as like omily yes, literally young yeah. The girl says she's very pretty. Boy cavalier boy, genius, prodigies, young CEO and founder young, they say, the youngest trillionaire in history comes to tell the girl that, hey, you're going to be the Neil Armstrong of consciousness transference, and he tries to put her at ease in his own kind of weird way, and we get among the first of dozens of Peter Pan references per episode. The child wants to see her mom, but there's very succeeds. This is for why her mom can't be there, and she's clearly scared about what's happening, and we see her memories kind of from childhood flash as the process is underway, and then we're done. She opens her eyes as Wendy. Now her name Wendy another Peter Pan reference, and we flash forward some amount of time later and forget about it. She's like superhuman, post human. She can. She is sitting on the edge of a cliff watching the sunset and she jumps down to meet Dame Sylvia on the beach and it's a drop of like one hundred.
Speaker 2: Feet and she doesn't even do a superhero landing. She just lands straight on the feet, slight knee bent.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, a little flexing of the knees, but that's it, and she's like, hi, okay. Later Damon Kirsh interview Wendy, there is a lot of she's still grappling with how adult her body is. She's I don't know ten or something. Yeah, mentally, and we discover that, you know, there are some obstacles and that's part of what this process they're trying to smooth out. And some of those being that the hormones, you know, that regulate human emotions, human physiology. They don't exist anymore. So the Prodigy team has had to improvise to recreate those things digitally one would expect, and so they want to see how that's going. And that's what this interview process is about. Kersh, who is a synthetic, is completely averse to treating Wendy as a human. She's not that anymore. He wants to just treat her as this posthuman thing that she is. Dame takes the opposite view, seeing as how Wendy has the mind of a human child and she sees herself that way, why not treat her that way because that's how she sees herself. Meanwhile, boy Ceo is like like a total freak, always watching from the other arm.
Speaker 2: This guy's just always creepily watching through like a creepy watching kind of gloss. Absolutely, I will say I do think that something that is gonna feel extra creepy right now about this is like the island set up that they have where it's this rich guy who has an island where he's doing like experiments.
Speaker 1: Let's just say it. Let's just say it. The the FC Pearlols are like, they're they're very much there. They are and and and let's see because you know what, let's table this because it's really episode two where that stuff is like because I didn't pick up on it at this point. Yeah, but it's episode two where you're just like, oh, okay, we're kind of doing that.
Speaker 2: I think something that's interesting is just kind of the idea of eeriness and how to build like creepiness and airiness. And even though this is obviously and in some stories would be promoted as this positive thing that they're doing where they can traanspy these consciousnesses, this episode, in the second episode just plant it completely for creepiness and kind of airiness, which I think works really well. Well, you know what, I would slightly push back on that film in the sense that.
Speaker 1: I almost wanted more drawbacks for Wendy. It's only it's too perfect. It works so well, and we're gonna see that. Yeah, as this goes forward. Yes, clearly the process is unethical. Creepy, illegal doesn't count in this world anymore, in a world in which the globe has been carved up by various corporate states that have their own rules within their own territories, right, so that doesn't count, but it's clearly unethical. But I would argue that, like, if you undergo this process, hard to find the draw back right now.
Speaker 2: Likes positivity in the notion of like who doesn't want to be immortal? But I like that the show always poses it from this kind of creepy space.
Speaker 1: Absolutely the whole thing, Boy Genius is a creep damon. Kursh want to use Wendy as this the kind of kind face to shepherd this new crop of terminally ill kids who are coming to the island, the rich Man's Island, and so she can help shepherd them through this process in a kind of stress free as stress free as ways as possible. When he meets the kids and is like, I used to be sick, just like you, but now I'm super strong and I'm immortal. And we learn that it has to specifically be kids because they haven't figured out how to transfer adult minds. Adult minds are too rigid to undergo the process, to which I would say, how did how did we figure out? What is the process that by which we can guessing that.
Speaker 2: Some adults died baby ye yes, and that multiple adults died Probably whatas because it's Helam.
Speaker 1: So the kids undergo this process and one by one they emerge with their new immortal adult bodies. We get a scene of Boy Genius reading pages of Peter Pan as we get more quick cuts of various experiments that are going on in the island, a scene I'll just say, I didn't very much needed references For me, I don't need an actual reading, but I get it. He's a creep.
Speaker 2: He is a creep also at this point, like his obsession with Peter Pan, and obviously also the fact this was made by FX so they can use multiple clips of the Disney Pea Pan movie, which I think was a big part of this. But like, why at this point, why do you think that Boy Genius Boykavlia is so obsessed with Peta Pan? Like is he already an old man in that body? Is he dying? Like what is it about him that has made him so obsessed with this because he's still so young? So like, does he want to be the pet du Pan to these when to Wendy and her lost boys, Like, well, is his obsession?
Speaker 1: It's a good question, and I think he gives us in episode two a good kind of encapsulation of his core motivation. But I will say at this point that you know, I don't know anybody that's ever been a child prodigy, but like having been a musician, it's something you know, you see like the eleven year old who's like can play all of Chopin and like that's stuff you see, and it's kind of like that. And the visual arts, drawing and illustrating is a place where you see that kind of young genius. And whenever I would read or see like a clip or today's show thing about oh, the nine year old genius who can do this, I was I always felt like that's cool now, but what you know, what you once after you're sixteen or seventeen, nobody's you're just a good piano player. Yeah, nobody facts about it that way anymore. And so I wonder, I did wonder if part of it for boy genius is the fact that someday he's not gonna be a boy.
Speaker 2: He's just gonna regular of being a boy.
Speaker 1: He's just gonna be a regular old genius. And those are a diamond dozen. We go to the ship after nightmare, cuts of various creatures on the loose and arm red lights and just like collision alarms flashing something bad has occurred on the ship as it is wont to do in an alien feature, exactly, Morrow, who is a crew member and a cyborg, so a human with machine parts, is in the mother computer room and he's updating the ship's AI on what's gone on. Specimens are out, crew is dead. There's a crew member who's banging on the door trying to get in. He gets up and is like, oh, you want to come in. He like produces a welding device from his forearm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from his welldic cyborg forum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weld's you know, like like Buck from the from a Daredevil comic. Welds the door shut and then uh sits back at the terminal as this woman is cut to pieces. I felt alien.
Speaker 2: I feel like Morrow is like so extra because there's no way she was getting in that door. But he was like, bitch, I'm gonna weld you out. She was like, I hope you're gonna die just in case. And obviously we get our first real look at the really incredible like classics animal, which I think gives you a hint at how well the creatures are gonna be done in this show. Because this shit is scary as how and the last classic moment of like.
Speaker 1: The entire show looks.
Speaker 2: Looks like a million dollars by may Zing.
Speaker 1: Amazing. So the alien smashes through the door, it gets into the mother room. Uhmorrow again updates Mothers like we're crashing one hundred percent, we are going to crash into earth. And then he goes into like this little safe room under the floor of the computer room, and as the alien pounds on the door, the ship crashes. We go to Moisely.
Speaker 2: Morrow's mission, it feels like to me, was to make sure that the plane crashed on a and and he because he didn't let that woman in, he lied that they were dead, Like what are you?
Speaker 1: I'm eager to discover that because why crash a you tiny ship into prodigy Dodgy territory unless he was like a prodigy spot. I was going to say, maybe we're going to find that out. So we go to New Siam, which is a Prodigy city in this kind of tropical, seemingly Asian belt of Prodigy Territory. Wendy is watching videos of a medic her brother, who you know, was her brother when she was human. She is talking to all her stuffed animals about his history and who he is and how does she have access to all the feeds that pick him up?
Speaker 2: Very interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: We as soon discovered that her prodigy managers have let her do that as a way to kind of, I guess, ease her transition into her post.
Speaker 2: Humanness, and they also like don't It becomes very clear in this episode and episode two like they also don't really know. They have a you know, classic alien technology where it's like they kind of know what she can do, but they also have don't really know what she can do because they've never done. She is the first one as that we see that has you know, been successful. But yeah, she is just like she is doom scrolling on her brother.
Speaker 1: Like extremely hot.
Speaker 2: She just can't stop watching videos of him and is very clear that she is not supposed to be doing this. She's not supposed to have this emotional connection.
Speaker 1: Brother is a big baseball fans. He's listening to baseball games on his headphones and he goes home and he watches he's watching Ice Age, which is a movie that he used to watch with his as far as he's considered dead sister. Later, while he's you know, pumping iron with other colonial marines. Seemingly, the ship crashes like right above their heads in an amazing and crazy sequence. It just like flips the buildings that are around them and crashes into these huge, like residential mixed use towers across the city. So they are a search and rescue team clearly modeled on the colonial.
Speaker 2: Very colonial marines, like no question.
Speaker 1: And they go in. Yeah, because they don't just search and rescue team, you figure, Okay, the dogs, they've got the flashlights, they've got these guys have fully like assault rifles.
Speaker 2: Just like going. Guys like have a good time.
Speaker 1: So they go in and they hit the crash site and they start, you know, going through these buildings looking for a place that they can one they can rescue people out of the various floors of the damaged building and also go into the ship which is part way embedded into the buildings and see if there's anybody alive in there. Meanwhile, Marrow emerges from his safe room. Crewe is one hundred percent dead now. He tells mother, Hey send a message to Corporate HQ. We lost the ship and also appears that we've crashed in competitor territory who appear poised to steal our alien ip. Let's take a quick break, and we were right back to and we're back elsewhere. Wendy is still being tested alongside the new machines. She, we learn, can hear frequencies way beyond human hearing, and as they're testing her, she looks up at the screen, sees the news about the crash and is like, search and rescue. My brothers, search and rescue. He's got to be there. And in fact, we see her interface with the screen somehow and like flip through the different camera feeds and she sees him, and she's extremely troubled, as one would guess. Meanwhile, Boy Genius gets briefed on the crash by his butler, mass casualties, blah blah blah. But whyland Utani ship with potentially some top secret and very expensive whyland Utani ip on there? Boy Genius is like, that's great, So sad about everybody who's died, but we're keeping that fucking ship, no question of no.
Speaker 2: But it's not going back, baby, this is mine, not that is.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Wendy comes in and is like, hey, I'm going on the crash site. I want to get my brother. I want to help him, and why not? Why can't I go? I'm can't be hurt, I'm immortal, I'm super strong.
Speaker 2: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Like, let's see the Lost Boys. We can help. Boy Genius is like that sounds dumb, but like whatever, yeah, let's go. You know we're gonna be monitoring you the whole time. We later find out that Boy Genius can actually see through their eyes, like he has camera shots where he's like literally looking through their eye holes and he says, curse, you go with them and you make sure they don't get any trouble. So meanwhile, the Lost Boys are sitting around, they're they're getting to know each other, talking about like how strong their bodies are now and they're immortal. They're wondering like, okay do we die? Like what happens when our batteries run out?
Speaker 2: Also clearly like ten years old, Like this is such a good seats to show, like how acting.
Speaker 1: The acting, yeah, very very good. When he comes in and is like, hey guys, mount up. I know we've only been in these bodies for I don't know, a week, two weeks or something, but it's time to rescue people. So Meanwhile, the actual search and rescue team that's on site, they get into the lab of the ship. They see all the weird specimens in their glass cases. They're like, what the fuck are these? There's a body on the floor. This guy's been shot. Meanwhile, the gross some of the gross insects that were like in one of the pods and being fed earlier in an earlier scene, dropped from the ceiling onto a guy's shoulder, full spider kind of Oh, I call that the the I A puss? Oh?
Speaker 2: I like that, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an I A puss running around, which is yes, it's like an octopus with an eyeball head. And they it freaked out by all these gross things. They're like, let's okay, let's leave. Morrow just gets flat out gets to drop on them. Oh. He makes them drop their guns, he makes them cuff themselves to a pillar. He uh disarms them and is like, where's boy Cavalier. They're like, how the fuck? What do you think? We updates us where he's going, Like, how the fuck do we know?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: And Marrow's like fine, he goes off to update mother again. The rest of the search and rescue team gets the crier room. No survivors, but there's weird stuff. You know, there's a blood trail, there's evidence of what we know as a chest burst, but like they don't know what that is. There's a dead face hugger nearby. All of this stuff is very mysterious to them. Meanwhile, that gross alien insect thing, now that's like a it's like a slug beetle, Like.
Speaker 2: It's really creepy stuff.
Speaker 1: It just absolutely sucks all the blood that it can out of this guy as juggular and he dies, while the other guy who's like cuffed to his back is like freaking the fuck out, and you know, it crawls onto a new one, crawls onto the still living guy, and that guy does on the way in. Meanwhile, Kersh tells Wendy.
Speaker 2: This is Sacha, like synnis the conversation.
Speaker 1: I mean, because Kirsh is all the time. Kirsh is a synthetic. Here's my as a synthetic and a living sentient thing. Kersh is like wants to like rip the band aid off. He wants to be like.
Speaker 2: Listen, they're not actually you need to get it.
Speaker 1: Like, here's what animals. Human animals are like they used to live in fear because they were eaten by lions, tigers and bears. Oh my, but then you guys evolved in order to make tools, and then with those high tech tools, they made cool stuff. And you're one of the cool things. You're not one of them anymore. You're not gonna run around wondering if you're gonna die or get eaten by a thing. Okay, your brother will though, because he is still one of these like meat things, he's still a person. He's he'll die one day. And when he's like put off by this, she's like, no, he won't, just like, yeah, he'll get sick, You'll get injured, so he'll die, and she's like, no, I will save him.
Speaker 2: Oh really equally as like also creepy because you get to see that like ten year old kind of stubbornness coming out of like an inability to understand the difference between humans and sins and hybrids. So she's obviously a hybrid. So yeah, very interesting fast episode, and that is.
Speaker 1: The end of episode one. Let's take a quick break and go to episode two and we're back. Episode two. Joe Is aka Hermit code named Hermit is continue his search of the ship, but of course there's something else fully running around in there, stalking him, stalking everybody. We know it's a xenomorph, but they have no idea what that is. They find other dead bodies with signs of strange injuries, signs of surgery, signs of hemorrhaging, signs of gunfire. It's very creepy and weird.
Speaker 2: Also very clear that these people did not die in the crash, but it's very clear that they were killed before the crash. So that's just starting to pick up as a medic that maybe this is not a good place to be.
Speaker 1: Hermit and one of his compatriots, Rashidi chat. Apparently, according to the logs, there were one hundred and sixty two alien biologics on the ship and unknown how clearly some of them survived, and we don't know what's where they are, all of them. And also they don't know this, but there's a fully adult xenomorph now lurking around. We go to Research Island where Dame is watching the children's recruiting videos. Boy Genius comes in and he doesn't care about the kids at all. He's just like the technological breakthroughs. I can't wait for the technological breakthroughs. I am so excited about pushing the potential of the human race forward by merging Man a machine. And he says, it's not about the money, it's not about the ego. It's about he's so exhausted by being the smartest person seemingly in the world that he's hopeful that by merging Man a machine like this, they will unlock a different level of intellectual potential where he could finally have interesting conversations with people who are smarter than him. Now so outrageous, it's outrageous. And I'll say this, My read on this is he doesn't really want that.
Speaker 2: No, he even kind I kind of says it. He's even kind of like, She's like, so, is that what you're doing with the kids, And he's like maybe, he's what, huh, maybe that'll be what happens.
Speaker 1: I don't flee. I've never in my life seen or read about a competitive person who is elite at what they do, who wants to be Oh, I would actually like to be around people who are better than me. No, I still want to be the best. What he wants to happen is, I think, is to be challenged by much smarter beings so that he then can like raise his he the smartest, still be the smartest person, and still be the smartest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a really good way of looking at I also think I'm guessing because this is a now Horley situation. I find the boy, I find that boy genious conversation. I find the boigenious character is like so just outwardly obviously like sucks that I'm just very interested to find out, like what really drives him or what is really going on because I think there is more to it.
Speaker 1: And I say, yeah, I feel the same way, like there must be a subversion coming right, because he's so almost cartoonishly the vague.
Speaker 2: You know what. I think it's interesting though, is like again if we're we you know, we were talking about in episode one about the kind of obvious Epstein kind of the Lost Boys Island, the you know neverland obviously with like the Michael Jackson stuff. I'm like, also, there is obviously an Elon Musk element here, but it's more like, what if Elon Musk actually invented everything and was a kid, So it's kind of he was a genius. What if he was a genius. It's this interesting kind of hypothetical of the future that is Yeah, it's also like painfully painfully yeah, it feels prescient while you're watching it, even though it's new and is made. It feels like it's in conversation with the world we're living in in a way that just kept to me hooked, even though I've seen, you know, ten alien movies in my library.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a quick break, and we're back. I also think that here's the thing about being one of these rich freaks. I also think that boy genius wants to put himself in a and probably the best possibly manufactured and produced hybrid bodies.
Speaker 2: Of course that's really what it's about.
Speaker 1: But for a guy like this, it's like the It's like the billionaires who like have the bunker in New Zealand. It's all well and good, but who flies you to New Zealand?
Speaker 2: Who gets you that exactly?
Speaker 1: Who's to Who's to say that the pilot doesn't just like put two in your head, leave you on the tarmac and fly themselves.
Speaker 2: They want to fucking crash the plane, so you.
Speaker 1: So, I think that what going for is the loyalty of these hybrids so that they can do the process.
Speaker 2: To him put him that is so smart.
Speaker 1: Or or you know, because I think, like, listen, if it's going to be Dame or any of these other people who kind of like argue with you a little bit, do you trust them to even sleep?
Speaker 2: I don't try.
Speaker 1: You know you can, because you'll be like when the boss is asleep, aren't you going to look at each other and go, let's just fucking unplug it? Do it exactly?
Speaker 2: Like no joke, because this guy also like doesn't treat people well, which I think is the classic corporate thing. Also, I found this so I'm very interested generally about the notion of introducing these new like Prodigy and Dynamic and boy Cavallet, because it would have been very easy for them to just make this character, right Whalen, because we know through the movies that Ridley Scott returned to with Prometheus and Covenant, that Whalen's been obsessed with like extending the life of himself, of other people, of humans, of meeting God, of all this kind of stuff of like how can you live as long as possible? So I kind of love the Instead they were like, no, here's this child who is maybe already doing it better.
Speaker 1: He's scared of growing old, growing up, Yeah, because then he'll be like a normal smart guy. He wants to be like the most genius like man the young.
Speaker 2: Guy forever realized how the cuse of the gifted and Talented section. Yeah, it's like and guess what, when you go to he'll always be people.
Speaker 1: He'll like, always be on the thirty under thirty list forever for the next hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, that's his dream.
Speaker 1: So Kirsh and Wendy and the other hybrids are on the way. Wendy tells one of the lost bies Slightly that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that all named doctor Peter Pan characters too.
Speaker 1: Yes, She's like, I can't wait to my brother is there. I want to see him. He's a regular human and I'm going to go there and I'm going to find him. Slightly talks a little bit about the fact that his dad passed away of an illness and how hard that was for him, and then kersh. Finally, when they arrive on the scene, is like, Okay, let's get ready to go in. In the ship, Joe has met up with you know, two of his other search and Rescue team members, Rashidi and Siberian. There's a big gap between like where the ship crashed and the infrastructure of the building, and so they're like, let's just like jump it. Siberian jumps it. Then it becomes Joe's turn to jump it. And as he's jumping about to jump, like the saliva drops on his shoulder and you all know what that means. He looks up. The Xenomorph is there looking at him. He goes to jump, but the Xenomorph, you know, goes for him, and they end up falling together into like the lower level halls of this crash site, and Joe's down there. He's trying to call for back up. He can't get back up. He tries to gain it, and he gets on an elevator and manages to escape for a moment, and he's bleeding from a gash and it's bad. We flash back to yesterday. Hermit goes to the Prodigy DMV to try and quit his job as a search and rescue guy, but they're like, no, you have seven months in your contract, which means very basically an indentured servant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very alien coded. If you weren't aware that this is kind of the ecosystem that the Alien franchise exists in and is why the First Alien is so beloved as this kind of like unexpected kind of pro worker movie. Alien Romulus got back into that with the kids who were on mining contracts who couldn't escape. And I think it's really interesting to see here that even you know, these other corporations are also doing this. It's not just wailing you, Tani. This is how basically everyone exists. And honestly, you know, when he's like, I'm gonna leave to go to medical school, They're like, no or not. You've got seven months left on your contracts, right, And isn't that all of us just trying to afford to go to college?
Speaker 1: Like it's actually extremely bleak.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just a it's just like a faceless, non humanized robot, which I find really interesting because it's also introducing like a class system within robots. This is just kind of your face. This is just like a ball but like a camera looking at Yes.
Speaker 1: You don't even get to talk to the robot with the face. And meanwhile, Wendy, who is you know, watching her brother on cams back on Research Island, manages through her tablet to interface with the robot clerk, and she begins like.
Speaker 2: Saying lines from Ice Age Ice.
Speaker 1: Age to her brother, and he's like, what are you talking about. Meanwhile, you know, all the Boy Genius people, all the managers of Prodigy and Boy Genius himself are absolutely bricked up.
Speaker 2: Boi Genus is like, yeah, and I kind of love this too, but because they basically like how did she do this? And then they go, well, you know, they're like kind of like they're like, well, you know, the Internet kind of runs through her, but we never imagine that she would be able to kind of like run through the Internet. And I'm like, maybe you should have thought of that when before you made this robot that conceeemingly just like touch any screen and interact with the people on the other side of it. That seems like a massive amount of power.
Speaker 1: Back in the present, they arrive at the crash site and Wendy immediately begins like picking up some high frequency like interference that is messing with her sensors and it's kind of interfering with her hearing. Nobody else can pick it up. Boy Genius is of course watching it all from his office. They Kirsh goes to talk to the chief of the Search and rescue, the guy who's like running the whole thing, and it's like, what's going on. The guy's like, okay, well we're concerned about radiation. They're like we're not because we're not human.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh well.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Wendy just like walks up to their computer system and is like scrolling through their database and all their feeds and finds her brother and she just leaves. She doesn't even say she heads off to go find him. Kersh is like okay, fine, lost boys on me, let's go boy. Genius meanwhile, is just so jazzed about like everything happening around the ship and the until they're getting from the ship and Utani calls and Utani's like, hey, so obviously, like we fucked up, very expensive day for us, So sorry about the loss of x amount of.
Speaker 2: Definitely at least one hundred thousand people like this crash really absolutely.
Speaker 1: Because so sorry about that, but we do need the ship back and we'd love to send a team to go and just get some of our important ip back. And Genius is like, speaking of that, like anything we should know about this did crash on my territory and lots of people down here like should should I know about any weird stuff on there that could possibly pose a threat, And Utani is like, well, you know, I can't talk about.
Speaker 2: That proprietary baby prot Sorry.
Speaker 1: That's all whyland Utani the ip, which again is why we must send a team to get that. And boy Genius is like, no, I have your lawyer, call my lawyer and we'll work it out. Okay, that's why we have lawyers, and goodbye, And it's very clear that boy Genius is not going to give back anything at all. He wants everything on that chip. The Lost Boys get into the ship. Wendy senses, whether it's the interference or the alien that's running around, she senses something. She knows something's happening on this ship. Kersh tells all the you know, these are kids again, don't be afraid. We're gonna be fine. You're immortal, you're very strong. And then they come up across this weird like plantinus clear like straight out of Prometheus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like really horrific kind of it's like a gland like full of something. It's just, you know, nothing good is coming out.
Speaker 1: It's making moist sounds. It's hanging from the ceiling they're studying, and they begin to study it. Kurseh is like be careful. He realized is that it's not of earth. It's an alien. Meanwhile, boys watching all of this and just absolutely salivating, you know, So they decide to try and capture this glandular alien. Kersh is like sense one team led by Curly to go, Hey, go find a lab where they have equipment where we can like scoop this thing off the fucking ceiling and we can capture it. They go there, they find more dead bodies and more disgusting aliens. They find a cat that's injured that suddenly disgorges this parasitical the spider octopus the iOpus rather and the iOpus attacks them, but they managed to capture it in like this metal tin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also I have to say, I really I love that. I think that something that this episode does. First episode establishes a lot of like Piapan references and this idea of the Lost Boys and stuff, which you know, your milech may vary, but what I think that they do in this episode that is so unbelievable with the Lost Boys is like every single one of those actors who, by the way, many of you, like there's Jasper from Six of Crows and you know, Shadow and Bone and stuff. These are people you recognize. The absolute belief that you will have that these are ten year olds is.
Speaker 1: Just so excuse.
Speaker 2: The acting is unbelievable, and the way they react to these scary things adds a whole different layer than we've seen before in an alien movie. So they were really starting to lock me in at that point. Especially Yeah, they're like, Okay.
Speaker 1: There's an openness of emotion on their faces on all the actors who play the Lost Boys, including Wendy Y faces they're just you buy you really, you asolutely buy it. You buy it. So Wendy and slightly find her brother's like vest and they see scratch marks all over the walls, so they go off in that direction. Hermit, meanwhile, is now in part of the residential tower and he runs into another Search and Rescue member. He's like, have you seen like any weird animals? Like I was like, what, Like, what are you talking about? You forget about that, Let's just like get everybody out of here. They knock on a door and they find like people having like this eighteenth century.
Speaker 2: This sh it was so creepy giving. It's very much exchanging ballad. It's giving. It's definitely giving, like high Rise, it's also giving, you know, all the worst things you imagine about rich people and what.
Speaker 1: It's a very pre French revolutionary kind of let them eat cake vibe in there and they're like, fuck you what, Oh a big ship crashed into our building. You know, we have boy genius call me. We go to the same golf club. Okay, so by and closes the door. You know, as the door closes, the alien comes up behind and the other guy immediately kills the other guy, and you know, while the killing is going on, the eighteenth century people are like, what's that sound outside? So they open the door to see what with the rockets is outside, and the alien immediately is like oh meat, goes in there and just cuts everybody absolutely to pieces. Hermit is you know, kind of not silly, but manages to push the bisected corpse that landed on top of him off of me. He picks up a gun and he goes into that room, to the eighteenth century party room to like, I guess kill the alien.
Speaker 2: Something that I love here is that one, this is giving you know, common in the group chat. I mean in the in the chat is talking to us about like kind of the mix of like the high tech and then the eighteenth century kind of aristocrats. Really cool. I just also want to say it's giving hell. Ray's a full bloodline where this is busy exact combos. But this also is a great moment if you are someone who's not one hundred percent sure how scary this show may be. The show is really scary, but Noah Hawley has multiple moments throughout this where he chooses not to show you stuff, and at first, when you are hearing them get killed, you are not seeing it. You are just seeing the blood. Later on you will pull out and get to see it. But there are multiple episode There are multiple moments in this where Harley decides, hey, you've kind of already seen that. And something that I think is really interesting about this episode is when the Lost Boys are going through the crash Chip, we are essentially getting in a retroactive sense, what we usually get from an alien movie, which is you meet the crew, then we see them all get killed. Here we don't see that first crew get killed. We go through and pick through kind of the wreckage, and I think he does so many different interesting makes so many different interesting choices like that that make it feel like you're seeing something you haven't seen before. And this is one of those moments where you really.
Speaker 1: Get that it's really cool. Well, Hermit gets into a fight with an alien and it basically takes him out easily, and it's about to minimouth him when Marrow shows up and zaps it with this big bug zapper so sick like a Ghostbusters type gun. And when it's down and it's totally down in a way we've.
Speaker 2: Never seen it looks it's like culled up in like a fetod.
Speaker 1: It's position down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He then takes like a spray gun and sprays it with this like glue that turns into like a sack, and then he starts dragging the sack.
Speaker 2: But he also does he also does shoot Hermit with that same Ghostbuster's gun, which I thought was really fine. He can say it's like yay, thank you, and he's like nope, no, like I get bugs apps too, like I've hopefully turned the.
Speaker 1: Volume down or like the zapp down. Back at the plant, Anus curshes, Liken, what the fuck am I looking at like this thing is so insane. He hears the other team yelling from the other room, yelling for him. He goes in there and Smee and Nibs are like, hey, we captured the Ioplus, this crazy Ioplus thing, and we have it in this bin. And curseh is like okay, and he goes over to there. He's like, oh, good to terminal. He interfaces with mother and basically gets a ton of information about like what is on this ship. Let's go to break and we'll be right back to that. And we're at So Marrow is dragging the aliens of the elevator when another search and rescue team arrives and they're like, stop right there, sir, where are you going with that bag or stuff? Drop that bug zapp or drop that bag. Hey he's a cyborg. Okay, don't make any funny moves, buddy. And he's trying. Marrow is trying to be like, listen, it can it senses your fear. Don't be afraid of me. Chill out because it can sense it. Like what are you talking about? Shut up? And meanwhile, like the bag is starting to ripple and tear and the thing is coming. He's like, okay, well I warned you, and then the alien bursts out kills all the people.
Speaker 2: Behind me again, kind of in this way that you don't necessarily see but you hear.
Speaker 1: So well done does the ripley in the alien like it's right behind me, like breath on my shoulder thing, and then it runs away to go kill other people.
Speaker 2: Okay, very important moment. I fail. But because Morrow is a cyborg, Morow is also at this point handcuffed, so he could he had no They do this great shot where his face just starts dripping with sweat the closer they get in, because he knows. And then the next scene I think inspires an interesting conversation following that up.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I I've been thinking about that as well.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: So we go to the plant sphincter and it releases like a tentacle phallus thing like in Prometheus.
Speaker 2: It kind of splits into a plant.
Speaker 1: Right that wants to clearly face hug, but it doesn't because my guess is Curly is a machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, Curly is at least a hybrid. And I think the fact that the xenomorph also did not strike Morrow, who is a cyborg is leaving us with some interesting questions about this, like do the aliens and do the xenomorphs and do all the creatures you know that Michael created as we know and from Prometheus because he created them, Like do they have a version to getting like attacking us in or something that's not organic? Or is it because they need the organic nature to implant the egg I don't know. I think they want us to know that it is.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it's not because in a new environment, they're in reproduction mode now they need meat for the eggs, and so they're looking for egg stuff. Maybe, but it's like the alien was just like killing So I don't know, unclear right now. Meanwhile, Kersh on the Terminal locates a storage bay with eggs with alien eggs in it, and he's like, Smeek, go down there and take a team, go down there and secure that. I Meanwhile, you know, the ioplus, I guess.
Speaker 2: Will just like what you just hope.
Speaker 1: That it doesn't jump out of the bin it. Yeah, Wendy has slightly come to the eighteenth century party, which they're like a bear must have done this because it's fucking crazy. Meanwhile, hermit, who is you know running around now in the back hallways of this weird residential tower, comes to like a museum where he finds Reggie Jackson's nineteen seventy seven World Series Game six home run ball, which he knows everything about because he and his dad are huge baseball fans. Now they are fans of a sport that's like three hundred years in the past now, and this is a game that's like three hundred years old.
Speaker 2: And his dad used to watch, like they used to watch three Buns together while they were drinking PiZZ when they would and he was like.
Speaker 1: His dad, by the way, in the flashback Ryan Murphy, Yeah, And when he when the TV presentation of what the historical significance of this ball turns off, Wendy is right behind him and big smile on her face, like again this incredible face acting, And of course he doesn't recognize her to know who she is, and she he wants to know, like, oh, who are you talking to? And he's like my dad and he's explaining, Oh, my dad loved baseball. I love baseball. There's this whole thing like when you come back then, like when you came through in the World Series. They called you mister October, and Reggie Jackson was mister October. And Hermit sees that these two people are covered in like blood and he's like, are you okay, Like, oh my god, He's like no, it's not our blood. And he's like, oh my god, you're synthetics. Wow, And they're like no, we don't like that word, but we don't, you know. And you can see them trying to struggle with how do we explain what we are because we're not synthetic?
Speaker 2: And then allowed to talk about it, allowed to talk.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Wendy's absolutely buzzing because here is her brother. She found him. Meanwhile, Kursh calls and is like, we're sending you to the loading bay with the eggs. Wendy go there, and Wendy's like, oh uh, Search and Rescue guy come with us because they probably be like hurt people down there.
Speaker 2: Many of them. They're just arms are chopped off every leading.
Speaker 1: Like gonna need you.
Speaker 2: Sydney Chandler, who plays Wendy, is unreal in this role, like going like this, this is emmy city.
Speaker 1: This is a good They make a really smart choice here because there is a moment where you know, Wendy has met her brother and she's treating him like her long lost brother, but he doesn't know what's going on, and she's asking him to come to this thing. And I think there's a reasonable version of this where Joe right now is thinking, like, is this woman hitting on me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: Luckily, they resolve that right away very impressively expressively, because.
Speaker 2: They like usually to do a born sexy Yesterday trope and have like a weird There's been a lot of shows recently that have been, you know, getting critique for kind of like having weird, like sub incestuous, like implied plots and like ya romance and drama and TV and stuff. So I think that they do a good job here of.
Speaker 1: Just killing and smartly they immediately resolve this by having the kids Wendy and slightly basically spill the beans like, oh, we're kids. Hermon's like, what do you mean you're not? Your kids are used to be kids. He's like, well, we were dying kids, and then they put our brains into these machine bodies, and Hermit kind of immediately makes the connection with like, oh my sister was like terminally ill. That's interesting and so she immediately just leaps to the and is like Joe, it's me and Joe is like flipping out. She's like, I've been spying on you. And this is a lot to take in for Joe. She's like, I've been spying on you. That I didn't die, I'm still alive. And he's like, but there was a funeral and we learned that clearly everything that happened is a lie. And this is where it really gets into uncomfortable, like, yeah, Epstein Island territory because Wendy is like, well, Dad took me there and he told me that it has this has to be a secret and not to tell anybody. It had to be our secret that I was going to the Prodigy Research Island. And when this is unfolding, I was really like wow, okay, I know.
Speaker 2: I was like, this shit's like really brutal, like they do that, like he creeped out as possible. And honestly, I actually think it works really well because something that was kind of blowing my mind. I think it works throughout this first two episodes, especially when I rewatched them, was just like, there's this show has so much to say about, like the bodily autonomy and kind of the way that they feel like they can just do whatever with these adult bodies, and the way that these you know, for Wendy, it's like they essentially created her to then, you know, be the be the safe face of taking away these other kids bodily autonomy, which.
Speaker 1: Is very part.
Speaker 2: Exactly like so I think they do. They have something to say with it, which I think is really interesting. I'm excite see how it goes.
Speaker 1: So they arrived down at the loading bay with the eggs in it, and and Hermit is like, fully, he's like unable to grapple with this information. So finally he like is like, okay, Christmas morning many years ago, and this feels like a line from something clearly a line from something that I did not recognize. What did you say to me? And then she says the thing for ice age and he absolutely is like, oh my god, it's you. He can't and I can't believe it. They get in there and.
Speaker 2: It's eggs, eggs.
Speaker 1: You know. Back at the research island, boy Genius is boy genius. Epstein is like absolutely going nuts.
Speaker 2: He's just love nature has led to finishing. He's he could be happy yeah, he's so happy. He's like so, which is also so funny because I'm always like, why do these like they're so excited to have this new terrible thing on earth? And I'm like, guys, why, I guess because they hope to make money from it. But I'm just like, this is never gonna end.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, any biological controls quarantine, like don't have to like at least be careful.
Speaker 2: Aren't you? Aren't you in charge? But maybe this is going to be part of the show's commentary is like, well, a corporate state is not.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that. Yeah, the people is, let's talk about it in the conversation because I thought about that as well. So they get to the eggs, and you know, it's the classic kind of like laser beam film over the top of the eggs which breaks when you walk close to them. Wendy can is hearing this interference. To me, it's unclear if it's the eggs or something else, but she's really hearing it, and she's like, do you guys hear that. Meanwhile, the eggs begin to, if not stir, rustle a little bit in that way that makes you feel like, oh face hurger is coming. Hermit meanwhile, not knowing anything about these eggs, gets into that face classic face.
Speaker 2: Hugga hugged just gonna be looking in an egg, gonna face something right off.
Speaker 1: But before that can happen, the xenomorph shows up and says, you know, get away from my eggs, you bitch.
Speaker 2: Also as well as like this fucking motherfucker hummt like this, I thought I killed this bitch, and the atheen Century room like I got to get him.
Speaker 1: This alien loves Hermit.
Speaker 2: He's feeling, he's feeling something.
Speaker 1: And it tackles Joe and they fall together again deeper down into the superstructure of the ship and when he's like, I'm going after him, and we cut there. Okay, let's talk about some of those I think that you know, one of the things that I found really you mentioned the corporate governance space and what that would mean for laws and for corporate risk, you know, because one of the things I was like, really, would would boy Genius send these like highly advanced but like basically one of a kind prototypes like into this crash site? And then I thought about it more and I'm like, well, that's why you have an entire like corporate city is who cares, No one's going to steal it. This is your island, like it can't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: To him, he's like, you know what, I have already made these ones, like I'll just make them again.
Speaker 1: And yeah. And I think the fact that this city is like separate from where he lives on the Research Island by like, I mean the flight there seemingly took several hours, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is ter also called Nabalande Island, so.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and so I think for him, of course you would want to put up a quarantine. But also I suppose he's thinking, well, let's see what happens a little bit exactly a little bit of a breakout. I live on Research Island. I'm fine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that. It reflects the real recklessness that we have seen from like real CEOs, where it's like, yeah, let's see what happens. It's not really going to impact me, Like what happens if I create a social media platform there's just nothing but disinformation. Well, I'll be okay in my bunker or whatever, you know. So I think that you're right. I think that's probably going to be one of the big through lines, especially because Noah Hawley is He's no like Slump, He's he's a serious person. He loves to put a thematic storyline into a genre program, as you will know if you watched the very controversially ended but I think incredibly powerful Legion television program. So I'm very interested in that. I love that we're already getting these kind of questions of corporate ownership over the body. And in a way, this is really just taking what Alien has already done with the notion of workers and worker protections and how in the first Alien movie they don't have a choice, they have to go on this mission because they are essentially owned. Now we are in a situation where Noah is saying, okay, well these kids are literally owned, like their body is company property. You put a great there's a great question that you popped in here that I want to ask you, like, how do you feel about the idea of like transferring your consciousness to it? Because let's be real, when Wendy, they do a good job of shit, Like Wendy's powers are sick, Like who wouldn't want to be able to jump, you know, the tour building. It's essentially superhero powers. But how do you feel about the ultimate question of like, when you transfer your consciousness into that body at this point is essentially company property rather than you know, dying in a body that is free. I think that's like a big question.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, listen, we haven't seen the drawback yet, but there clearly must be drawbacks. Among these drawbacks is the fact that in a in a real sense, Wendy died and this is like a conscious mission exactly because it's not like when you as a person like move into a new apartment and you go there and you've left your old apartment and now you're in this new apartment. They made a copy of her brain waves, she died, and they put the copy in something else. So yeah, I mean there's a lot of there's a lot of things to mull over. And clearly, I think if you just look at the scope of human ambition, there are people who want to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like something that people are walking towards now.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think what's interesting is the fact that by trying to escape death, you're essentially hastening it. I think that there's a lot of there's a lot of things to talk about here and the effects of a completely governed, autocratic compt space I think is that in which no private property exists, Like you don't even again, like as you said, you don't even own your own body.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even the rich, even that rich guy who lives in his you know, high rise style eighty fifth floor apartment, even he to the point where, like he believes if something goes wrong, boy Genius will call him and let him know, even he doesn't have like full autonomy over his home, or his safety or his situation. Because in that moment, despite being rich and doing whatever weird creepy shit he wants to do, boy Genius is like, well, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. So essentially everyone is a sacrifice that he can make in this situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm very intrigued to see where the show goes from here, and I'm especially it's been you know, it's kind of rare that we get two shows in a year where every single review is like nine out of ten, ten out of ten. And that was really and Or first, and now we're getting that with these reviews. We are just doing as we always do. We're going as we go. So these are our two episodes that we've seen, but Jason watt'sake, what would be the biggest surprise for you as we head into the surprise?
Speaker 1: I guess the thing that I'm most wondering is are we going to witness the downfall of the Prodigy Corporation? I feel like it just right? How much does the lure established by Alien and Aliens in which Prodigy does not exist? Right? Or like, certainly by aliens we never hear about it. You only hear about wheland U Tani, and there's like illusions to other corporations, but you don't really hear about it, and certainly you don't. There are not even hints that anything like a hybrid exists. So is this the downfall of that corporation? Is that what we are witnesses? Or is there going to be a way for the lure to expand around what was established by those first two films? That's my question? What about Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's I want to know how Prodigy goes so wrong and how Prodigy ends up in a situation where whaling Utani is the only kind of corporate overlord that we know of the planet by the time you know, we get to Alien. Also, I am really interested to see where Noah Howley takes this exploration of childhood and Peter Pan because you know, it's very heavy handed in the first episode. It works for me because I generally enjoy a show that can do an interesting version of a story about children. And I feel like, so far, especially with episode two where we get the adult actors really embodying that childishness, I think this is a very interesting take, but I want to know ten episodes in what that really means. I want to know the mystery box kind of reasoning for that. And I'm I'm also like, I have to say Boy Cavalier, like is such an easily haterable character, which is always fun to have, But I have to say, like what else, as you feel Samuel Blankin is like such a good actor. But yeah, I also don't believe in any way, shape or form that Noah Hawley ever just does a simple, like MS bad character. Like I want to know the truth about him. I mean, is Boy Cavalier a synth who was created by Waylan Utani? Like I don't know, you know, Like there's I'm just always interested to see where we're going to go, and I do think surprising synth and who is a surprising synth that could be a very big twist headed into the later show, simply because that's something that all alien movies always have, and I kind of think that we are going to be on the lookout for, like, you know, is it is this the new David? Is this the person who you know has that twist behind them? Who's really being controlled? The kind of notion of the freedom of Well, you've got choices of which corporate state you live in. Maybe there isn't really five, maybe there's three, maybe there's one, and this is the illusion of choice. I'm excited to see where the threads and seeds that are set out here kind of lead as we head in. And I'm also just like really excited to see more fucking xenomorphs, because like the aliens look so good in this show, Like they look money, money, money. This isn't better than like fifty percent of alien movies visually.
Speaker 1: Can I yeah, please this with something ominous? Yes, I see the human body like bodybag gets zipped up, but like once they're transferred and thought to be dead, they kind of don't exist anymore, and we don't know that the rest of them are dead. Hm hmm, you know, like they could be somewhere. This could also be a I mean, these kids are off the books anyway.
Speaker 2: Maybe the kids don't even say off.
Speaker 1: The books are like, how do we know that? Yeah, like they're not still alive somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh so ominis and I love it. That's horrifying.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to see where this goes. Yeah, really fun show Friday on Extra Vision. It's another episode of Popcorn Pop Out with Nobody Too. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosy Night and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joe Alminique and Aaron Kolefman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusa.
Speaker 2: Part All produces are Common, Laurent Dean, Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: The theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.