Speaker 1: Maybe go over the timeline of how that it might have been celerated today when more teams gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know when I guess that was Wednesday when Kyle uh informed uh Tray of of the decision with Sam being the number two, and you know, I think that led to just some organic conversations between them, and Kyle came up to my office and just said, hey, you knows, as we started talking, you know, trade, Trey's like he always is, he's all in, but he but he you know, he did suggest and ask, you know, hey, if if we could find the right opportunity that that he would appreciate that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He also said he'd be here and and uh and continue to compete. And uh, you know I had a chance then to talk to Trey, talk to Trey's agent, and you know, I gave him my word that, you know, I'd look and see what's out there. So we started that process, and you know, it culminated today with with Dallas happening and and uh, you know, it was it felt like a long time, but it was really a short period of time.
Speaker 3: A couple of days.
Speaker 2: Where we're talking to teams and teams are reaching out to us and you know. The the end result was what we ended up with.
Speaker 1: Give them permission to seek a trade is what happened.
Speaker 2: We kind of worked on it together and I told Patrick Collins is his rep. I told Patrick, you know, feel free to go out and you know, find find teams if you want. So we kind of kept in communication during the process, and uh, you know, I want to let you guys know, Trey was Trey was tremendous during this whole thing, handled it, you know, as well as you could, and just asked if there if there is a good landing spot, you know, I'd be appreciative of that. But if I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 4: It's traded up to get them gave them all these picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I give up.
Speaker 1: On a guy who's only twenty three years old and only halfway through that contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fair question, and it's something we talked a lot about internally, you know. Ultimately, uh, you know, with Brock being healthy, number one and you know, we're excited about that. Sam being the number two. The reality it's not the way everybody works it, but with our system, the number one takes a lot of reps, the number two takes the Scout team reps. It's just not a whole lot of opportunity.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I heard Kyle talk about it to get better, and that's what he needs to do. It needs to play to get better. I think that's that's going to be his opportunity. And play, I mean ideally games, but play is running scout team, play is doing all those things. We weren't going to have that. And so how do you how do you allow a player to grow? And so, you know, back to what we put into them. You know, we take believe me, you know, we take full accountability. We own that and you know, but as I said, you know on TV today, I think his story is very much unwritten.
Speaker 3: I've got a.
Speaker 2: Lot of belief in the kid, and uh, you know think with his talent, with his work ethic, he's gonna forge a nice, you know, career in this in this thing. And so love the kid, you know, Kyle and I when we broke the news to him today, saw him light up a little bit. And that's he loves it here. He was very appreciative of the opportunity, you know, like Trey typical tray. He apologized to us and there was nothing for him to apologize for, and we're just we're happy that that he's got a spot. And uh, you know, the Cowboys came up big, and I think that's an indication that they that they're excited to have him and and we're excited for Trey's new opportunity and we'll always be big beans. It's time to have to trade someone not I mean, are you pleasantly surprised that you got for under these conditions? You know, I it's not what it looked like when we first started having conversation when anywhere close. So it did advance in a hurry today, you know, and so you know, not doing cartwheels over it, because my preference would have been that it worked out and it didn't, and there's circumstances for that, and we can explain them away, but the reality is the reality. He had a couple opportunities. I think injuries played a part, and you know, where we're at as a team, we felt like this was the best situation for us, also the best situation for.
Speaker 1: Him behind Rock, which is understandable.
Speaker 2: But I think a lot of people don't understand how Trey fell behind Sam Donald, especially we were there.
Speaker 4: We watched every snap, and I don't think it was clear to us that Sam was clearly better.
Speaker 2: What happened. I think it was a tight pattal grant and I think kle would would say the same thing. But ultimately, you know, coaches are paid to make those decisions, and they felt collectively that Sam had separated himself and uh that wasn't lack of uh for lack of Trey competing his tail off and competing his and he he improved greatly. So you know, I think, you know, we we were real proud of the effort he made. Sam has had a really good camp and you know, you see Sam's arm, talent, his abilities. I think he's a good you know, the same reasons why we were interested in bringing him here have kind of come to fruition how it's gotta go happen. But uh, ultimately we felt that was the best decision. And and then you know I explained from.
Speaker 3: There, go ahead, Eric, Yeah right right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, try not to look at things like that.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 2: This thing's not an exact science, but when you put that much into a player, you know, you're you know, it's it usually is you know, really tough to rebound from. Fortunately, we've been able to continue to grow this team, to make this team better. And you know, we we were very fortunate for Brock to become what he's become. Now he's got to continue to do it. But you know, the early returns are good, and you know, everything from from his rookie year to the somewhat I won't say miraculous, but he made a hell of a return, you know, and with some hurdles in there, starting surgery late and all that, for him to be where he's at and we had to open our eyes and say, okay, he's cleared, but is he ready? And he kept showing us that he was, and then the other things transpired that led us to where we're at.
Speaker 1: Calf Sport. How much did the salary cap ramification of the average quarterback makes a million, third string quarterbacks making nine his cap figure? How much did that cap figure and the cap implications.
Speaker 2: I think, I think in future years Tray's on the minimum this year. You know in future years, next year it kicks up quite a bit. And so and that kind of coincides when when our stuff is going to get tight. So you know, of course that that plays a factor. As Kyle said, we would have loved to kept all four of those guys.
Speaker 3: In the building.
Speaker 2: Uh, and Tray is a you know, I think everyone should know. He's a tremendous teammate. He's a tremendous human being. And so never was it like we were worried we're gonna have a mal content. Trey told us that that, hey, if i'm here, I'm here and I'm rolling, but if you if you could find a spot for me. And so there was some level of that, and uh, you know, finding a nice landing spot for him, and I think we did that.
Speaker 4: Going back to the process that led you to trade when you drafted him. This is hindsight, but how much do you think maybe you've underestimated the gap between where you were as a team, what you needed from quarterback versus how much he needed to develop and time.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, he hadn't played a ton of football, So we knew we were taking, you know, somewhat of a chance. But you know, I believe to this day, if we hadn't taken them, someone would have right behind us. I mean, I think the next pick, and so I don't think we were the only one seeing it. He's a very talented young man. Uh, he's got a lot of qualities in his makeup that that lead towards and like, believe me, I still think that story is unwritten. So it didn't work for us. But I think I mean, you know, one of the things we've been talking about and thinking about. I mean there's all kinds of stories from you know, Steve Young who sat for a while, Warren Moon up in Canada, to Kurt Warner, you know, working in a grocery store. So like, I still very much have belief that he's going to become a player. Now, it's just not going to be for us, and we take full accountability for that. And you know, and in some way, yeah, we got lucky on Brock, but sure that set back our team. It would have been nice to have those picks and all that, you know, So we do own that. And fortunately we still have a really good football team that I think Scott is uh, you know, a legitimate shot. We're focused on Game one, but we we have a championship level roster. Now it's what we make of it.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: And you know, we got a lot of work to do and we'll continue to do that, you know, he's a great player. We want him here, we need him here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.