Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. A listener mail. This is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And this is Joe McCormick. And it's Monday, the day of each week we read back some messages from the Stuff to Blow your Mind mail bag. If you would like to get in touch, and you've never done it before, why not give it a try. You can reach us at contact at stuff to blow your Mind dot com. All kinds of messages are fair game. If you have corrections, suggestions for future topics, feedback on a recent show, whatever it is, send it on in. Let's see rob Do you mind if I get started with this message from Stephanie about our episodes on whale spouts, Yeah, let's have it. So this is responding to a couple of shows we did based on a chapter in Moby Dick where the narrator describes the whales blowhole and what comes out of it. Among many strange claims made in that chapter was that whale blow was poisonous, that if it went in your eyes it would blind you, and in some cases if it touched the skin of say the arm or the hand, it would cause your skin to peel off. In short, none of this is really true, but after some research, we did wonder if these claims might be based on stories of people having skin rashes, conjunctividis, and other topical infections after exposure to whales, which is a well documented phenomenon among people who handle marine mammals directly. You can get zoonotic infections, skin rashes, and so forth from them. Stephanie says, Hi, Robin Joe, thanks for another series of fascinating episodes on whales. I'm no biologist, but an alternate explanation for Ishmael's suggestion that whale blow is poisonous occurred to me. Could it not just be the extreme pressure of the air slash mucus expulsion that caused the side effects described? According to this Quebec research bureau, and she includes a link, whales can spout air from their lungs at a rate of seven hundred and twenty kilometers per hour. I can imagine that sticking your arm into a seven hundred and twenty kilometer per hour jet of air could give you some pretty serious road rash or air rash. Sticking your eyes directly in front of this jet of air seems like it could lead to temporary or permanent blindness too. Thanks as always for expanding my horizons of interest, Stephanie. Well, thanks for the message, Stephanie. Yeah, on that question, I really just don't know it. That does seem like very you know, that would be an extreme blast. It does, you know, it exceeds hurricane wind speeds. But there are also plenty of modern day accounts of people who take whale spout blasts to the face or to the skin, and it doesn't usually seem to cause immediate physical injury, at least in the cases we've seen or read about. But on the other hand, yeah, it's hard to say for sure, Like this is a case where I would love to hear from somebody who does have a lot of direct experience working with whales or handling marine mammals.
Speaker 2: All right, and now we're going to get into some of the listener mail that we've been receiving regarding our episodes on the moons of Uranus. So yeah, let's see where should we start with these? I guess I'll start with this one from Joseph. Joseph writes, I first found your podcast in twenty fifteen due to Your Saturn's Brood and Children of Jupiter episodes. Great episodes, and I was very excited to listen to this week's Uranus moon episode. The Greek god is pronounced your anus. The NASA official pronunciation is your anus. I should add this Joseph is spelling this out as your anus. Most people, including myself, say urine us spelled out as in p and us to make it more palatable in the English language. The true proper pronunciation is your anus according to NASA scientists, but most folks just say 'in US. German scientist Johann erleit Bode proposed the name to name the planet Uranus, and his associate Martin Heinrich Klaproth named the element uranium in solidarity with him as a way to push the establishment to accept the name Uranus or Uranus, which has a near identical pronunciation in German, Uranus does not have the same connotations as in American English. Can't wait to listen to the rest of the episode. Keep up the good work, best regards, Joseph.
Speaker 3: This is interesting because this is in direct contradiction to stuff we have heard from other listeners or stuff I've read on the internet, so I don't know. People just seem to be all over the place on what you're supposed to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm staying in the in the Urinus camp, though firmly positioned there.
Speaker 3: Yes, but thanks nonetheless, Joseph. We got the following message from our listener Constantine about the pronunciation of the name of the planet Uranus. Constantine says, Hello, gentlemen. Let me begin with a simple thank you for your hard work in putting out an informative, entertaining and addictive podcast. I've been listening to you all since back when you were a threesome, and your show continues to be on the top of my weekly rotation of podcasts. Oh well, thank you, Constantine. I recently heard your Moons of Urinus podcast, and once again you fell into the rabbit hole of proper pronunciation. The word Urinus does not even begin with a you, but with an O in the original Greek, so the pop popular English pronunciation is certainly questionable at best. As a native Greek speaker, having been born in French Canada, let me provide you with an official, bonafide, definitive opinion of an answer as to how to best speak Greek in English. The answer is do with it as you will, ah, the Satanic maxim of pronunciation. I like this level of license, but constantine goes on. Much of Greek came to English via those grand cultural appropriators, the Romans, and then back in the eighteenth century or so, English intellectuals decided to standardize English Greek with novel grammatical protocols. Not to bury the headline, but this game of telephone went badly. To begin with, Greek is not even a thing. The name came from the Romans. There is not even a G in Greek. We call ourselves Hellenes, and Greece is Hellas. Wait, it gets worse. There is not even an H at the start of the word Hellenic. Remember those English intellectuals I mentioned earlier. They decided that words that begin with the Greek epsilon or e will have a leading H in English for reasons unfathomable. That's right, it's not Helen of Troy. It is Ellen of Troy, speaking of H. The Greek H or it's spelled chi. Here is that chai or I don't know how to say that is turned into a k sound in English. Yes, it is pronounced character and r chitecture, not character and architecture. It goes on and on like there are no d or J in Greek. So it is not Delta or Jesus christ either. It is thelta and eosus Christos. Yeah, you can look it up while we're The real plural of octopus is octopodia. So if all that got jumbled up, what chance is there that Uranus's original Hellenic pronunciation of uranos could possibly survive through Roman transmission and English quote greekification. It can't. Don't fight it. Now more people pronounce it Uranus than Uranos, and such as life, and if pedants come along with an alternative pronunciation, tell them to quote stick it up. Let's say Uranas, stick it up Uras. As for us Helenes, we're just happy to be invited to the party. Cheers, good folks, Constantine, Well, thank you, Constantine. I'm sorry I probably also pronounced some of those Greek words in your email wrong, but yeah, we're doing our best here. There's there's a whole mess of trouble leading up to everything happening with these words in our brains today.
Speaker 2: All right. Constantine also adds ps monster factor is fund short up your game people. Well, thank you. I'm glad you enjoy it. They are short by design, but we're going to continue to experiment with putting out omnibus episodes, which take multiple related episodes from the past and cobble them together into one episode. In fact, next week there will be an omnibus episode of Vampires.
Speaker 3: Ooh nice. Well, actually, so since we did that, Constantine includes several PS's, so we've got a PPS and stuff. The PPS that he adds is that Urinus is simply the word for sky and is still the word for sky in modern Greek, and Guya is still our word for earth, and yes, you spotted it. There is no g in Greek. Are you ready for this? Gaia is the poetic form of gamma eta and is pronounced ye okay, I think poetic means quote, getting it wrong, So it is Urinos and ye not Uranus and gaia, all right, And there are several more yes as actually, but I think we'll cap it there.
Speaker 2: All right. This next one comes to us from Jared another one responding to our episode on the Moons of Uranus. Jared says, hey, guys really enjoyed these episodes and looking forward to more like them all right, well, we'll have to come back to Neptune in the future. And then Jared goes on to a comment about the Shakespearean names. They write, quote, it was a compromise between Great Britain and the rest of the European astronomers. Since they couldn't call it George, it was agreed the moons would all be named for British literary characters, at least according to what I heard on doctor Neil Degrass Tyson's podcast, Keep up the good Work.
Speaker 3: Jared, Yeah, I've read something similar. So the idea was that when William Herschel, the English astronomer, first discovered Uranus as a planet, he wanted to call it, what would Georgium seed Us I think, meaning the George Star, named after King George of England. Which we found that idea quite amusing. It's like, hey, let's you know, let's name the planet Neptune Millard Fillmore Star or something. But yeah, so it was agreed instead that the names would come from from mythology instead of from you know, political figures, to avoid having national rivalries appear in the heavens. And yeah, that does seem to be the case, but I guess it's maybe somewhat of a concession to Herschel's desire to name it after the English king, to name it after characters by an English playwright and poet, or not the planet. I guess the moons. Okay, I think we're going to cap the Urinus messages there. But we've got a whole bunch of messages on hand about weird House cinema, so maybe we should try to read some of those, including some messages in response to Time cop So Lawrence writes, Hey, guys, just listening now to your episode on time and you said it's your fourth time travel film. Not to jump down your throat or such, but you're not counting Santo in The and the Treasure of Dracula, and I think you ought to. Thanks Lawrence, Lawrence, Oh my god, you're correct. This must have been I don't remember which one of us said that, but this must have been an oversight, because it is true. Santo not only has a time machine in that movie, I think he invents the time machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, my apologies to the Saint. This was me forgetting that Santo and the Treasure of Dracula was actually a time travel film. Now I won't say it's one that really does any hard thinking about time travel, but there is a time machine.
Speaker 3: And you know, thinking on it, somehow, that movie doesn't really fit any of the story the main story categories we talked about, or if it does it, it's not really the main use of the time travel in it is just like watching videos of the past, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? But wasn't there also some like theft via time travel. Wasn't that part of it? It's like we have found Dracula's treasure in the past, we can steal it.
Speaker 3: Maybe they saw where Dracula left his treasure in the past which allowed them to go there in the present to retrieve it. Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, it's it's been a while. I could be remembering it wrong, but I thought it was just like their time machine. Was you were allowed to watch the past on TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, all right, we're gonna have to revisit it, okay, But you know, it does make me wonder if there has been a if there been any other Dracula time travel stories out there. It seems like there has to be, and Dracula is a pretty popular character and for crying out alloud Dracula is a character in Marvel comics. So yeah, so, I mean that's how Blade started out battling Dracula.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: Given all the time travel, space alien stuff that goes on in Marvel comics, there has to have been some time travel with the old Drack at some point or another. So comic book fans write in let us know. Yeah. This next one comes to us from Thomas Hi, Robert, and Joe. Your layout of time travel types in the recent episode had me thinking. As you explain the arms race time travel theme, it reminded reminds me of one of my guilty pleasure films, the one well, not time travel, but multiverse travel. It fits that core theme jet Lee, as both protagonist and antagonist gets more and more powerful a Lah Highlander quickening style, and with the killing of their parallel selves across the multiverse. It's from the early two thousands, but would not be out of place in the eighties with some of the bright colors and comic book darkness, fake grime, and spotless street scenes juxtaposed, and also early though not young Jason Statham before he learned to speak out the front of his mouth. I think it fits Weird House Criteria. Check it out, Thomas, and then there's a follow up. Sorry about the split emails, but clearly I jumped the gun in my excitement. You later in the episode ask about twin films, jet Lee plays versions of himself matching up against each other. Does that sound tempting? Three question marks.
Speaker 3: I've never seen the one, but I've wanted to for a long time. People have told me I would like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everything lines up here on paper for me. Multiple jet Lee's love jet Lee, some sort of wonky multiverse Highlander esque theme, and I'll take Statham as a side. I guess I've enjoyed some State of the movies. Some of the earliest States of the movies were at least fun. And he was in John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're right. He was in Ghosts of Mars in two thousand and one, the same year he was in The One.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a big year. He was ascending but had not yet reached that point. I remember reading that, like John Carpenter was impressed by him, and it was like, you know this, we need to we need to be in the Jason State and business and they were like, well, he's good, but we're in the ice Cube business on this film.
Speaker 3: I really wish I could. I could love Ghosts of Mars more, either genuinely or ironically. Truth be told, it is not that fun of a watch. It's kind of dull, but there's stuff about it that just I wish I could see it in a different way and love it more. Like the thing. So, first of all, like, yeah, I do love some of the cast. Ice Cube is in it, Jason Stathum, Pam Greer, Pam Greer is in it. Yeah, But the main thing I always remember is that ice Cube's character is named Desolation Williams, and people refer to him in the dialogue as Desolation, so they're just like, hey, hey, they're Desolation. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I've mentioned this perhaps and we've had this exact same exchange before. But Alien Covenant, which there's a lot I like about it, but there's a character in that whose nickname is Tennessee. You can't have a nickname with three syllables to it like that, dude would be ten that would be his nickname, not Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Right, Desolation has four.
Speaker 2: Yeah too much? But yeah, I don't know. I haven't revisited Ghosts of Mars in a long time, but I mean, on paper, yeah, good cast seems like a good concept. The artist Gerald Brahm did some of the conceptual designs, and I've always loved Gerald Bram's art. But yeah, I don't know if it's aged enough for a revisit yet.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm just over here dreaming up character names. I'm gonna make a space action movie where the hero is called di Apocalypticization Jones.
Speaker 2: I like it as long as it's not his nickname. I mean, according to the credits, Desolation is his first name. It's not like he's Mike quote Desolation Jones. He's Desolation Jones, Desolation William. Sorry, I'm getting to know.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're wrong, I think, well, I just looked at Wikipedia wiki claims he is James quote Desolation William.
Speaker 2: All right, IMDb has it wrong, then, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe the wiki's wrong. Who knows. I don't know who would just make up James though. Yeah, Okay. This next message comes from Chris. Chris says, hello, Rob, Joe, and JJ. You will never guess who I saw staring back at me from the arts and Entertainment section of the Chicago Tribune today none other than the one and only bert I Gordon in all his mustachioed glory. This must have been a response to when we did Attacking the Puppet People the bert Eye Gordon Shrink movie. Chris says, this is definitely a guy I would want to have a drink or three with. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this weird bit of print media overlapping with my digital media world. They did a great job sharing some night color prints of his various movie posters as well. Please see attached. The movie posters will have to be in a separate email due to size constraints regards Chris. All right, so Rob, I've attached the screenshots Chris took here the photo of Bertie Gordon. This doesn't look anything like the photos of him I'm familiar with, but he's much older in those, so I guess when he was young, he was a skinny guy with sticking out ears and a big funny mustache. And the caption tells us that this is him playing a character called the Mad Russian, who was a regular on CBS Radio's The Eddie Canter Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is the look of a guy who makes weird pottery. No disrespect to weird potters. I love weird pottery.
Speaker 3: He looks like he would be cast as a scientist in an Abbot Castello movie. Yeah. But I want to read the beginning of this article because while it does look like something I would I would like to get into in full that I have a bone to pick. So the article is by Christopher Borelli, and it says Bert Eye Gordon, who died earlier this spring at the age of one hundred, was the absolute worst filmmaker who ever lived, or so some might argue. You've heard Ed Wood was the worst, or Roger Corman, or maybe Michael Bay. But Gordon was not lousy for one or two decades. He was a terrible filmmaker for about sixty years. And when he got around to writing his memoir in twenty ten, called The Amazing Colossal Worlds of Mister Big and Autobiographical Journey, it was the absolute worst book ever written by a filmmaker. To borrow from the lurid posters for his movies. His talent, such as it was, screamed amazing, towering, beyond description, just not in a good way. Now, I do appreciate the nod to how like the lack of modesty in the bad movies of the mid century, Like how movie from the fifties that were some of the worst ever made, would say in their advertising like a film unlike any other will change your life. You are not prepared for the most spectacular movie event ever created. It is Attack of the Puppet People or whatever. But I also just want to go back and say, you know, Roger Corman made a lot of slapdash drive in cheese, but I don't know any reasonable observer who would say he was the worst filmmaker who ever lived. I get why Edward is in the running, but come on, Roger Corman made at least a half dozen movies that are really good, and a couple you could say are great. A Mask of the Red Death comes to mind, So I don't know why he's included there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Plus, I mean I would not say bird Eye Gordon was the worst filmmaker that ever lived. I mean, there are various ways you could determine that classification, but you know, I wouldn't say he's the worst by any stretch. Does his work bring me pleasure?
Speaker 3: Yes, So let's look at these posters here. So we got Empire of the Ants.
Speaker 2: This is great stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lady in jeans on the cracked desert ground and there's just an ant getting ready to it looks like bite her leg off. Basically. The poster for the amazing Colossal Man actually just looks great. I love this poster and it's a shame that there is not a good disc of this movie out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I really want to come back to this one at some point, because this is a movie that I genuinely enjoy and I think is trying to be something more than just just schlock.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's an ambitious film in its own way.
Speaker 3: Agreed. On the other hand, you've got The Spider, which I think that is just schlock, but it does have a pretty good poster. It's like it's got a cop shooting a machine gun at a giant spider and somehow they just managed to like slip like a screaming horizontal woman in there. She's just lying there on like a red rectangle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they went for something different here. The Spider's not carrying the woman, but the woman is still horizontal and laying on the ground. And having a machine gun fired directly over her body.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it looks like the cop is using the woman for cover.
Speaker 2: I guess it does kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's popping out over top of her to shoot at the spider. All right, should we cap it there for today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds good, sounds like a good place to cap it off. But we'd love to hear from everyone. Keep the listener mails coming in. We read all of it. We don't have time to respond to all of it, and we don't have time to feature all of it on listener Mail, but we do what we can. So it's always great to hear from all of y'all. So keep it coming. The reminder that Listener Mail episodes they publish on Mondays and the Stuff You Blow Yourmind podcast feed core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednesday. A short form artifact or monster fact episode except when it's an omnibus episode and then it's longer as previously described. And then on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.