Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul mission controlled decands. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Weird question came up a little bit a few weeks ago. We were looking at episodes we wanted to cover, and it hit us. We have never talked about the templars for guys who love so much weird fiction and conspiracy. It's kind of strange we never got to this one.
Speaker 4: We did do an episode on the book Holy Grail, Holy Blood, which I think is a very popular, like kind of in conspiracy circles, you know, book about the origins of the Nights Time. But I believe we interview the daughter, but I do believe that might well have covered it, and that was a little bit of a different type of episode. But this topic is such red meat for you know, for people that are interested in this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, and we've covered the Order of Malta or the Knights of Malta or they have so many.
Speaker 3: Names, they have great passports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still in we covered that in video, so if you want to check that out, head over to the YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and today the poor fellow Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, that's her whole name. They're often kind of thought of as legends, you guys. That reminded me of my favorite Indiana Jones film, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, where there's that cool spoiler, there's that cool chase scene at the very end, Indiana makes sudden friends with this guy who was trying to kill him or like three minutes. Yeah, yeah, and he's got it. He shows like a cool tattoo and he says, ask yourself, why do you seek the Cup of Christ? Is it for his glory or for yours? And that's a that's a direct reference to the Knights Templar. That's an English adaptation of their motto. Yeah, and they're not around that well, they're officially not around now, but they're the subject of numerous conspiracies in the modern day. Here are the facts, maybe we start with what we know for sure, because the history is really surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's super it's super cool to look into the history because often you're going to find the history as written by not necessarily the Knight's Templar, but maybe the descendants of other orders that came from the Knights Templar or that were gifted lands and other materials from the Knights Templar. When you see third party history, it does seem to verge a little bit or maybe there's more context right when it's not being written by the order themselves. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is a.
Speaker 2: Weird thing because the Knights Templar officially, as we're going to learn, went away, So it is I don't know, it's just very strange. But let's just talk about how they were formed, why they were formed. They're a military order, like a protecting order specifically for pilgrims who are generally from you know areas in England or you know surrounding areas like that. They were headed towards Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they're warrior monks essentially when they first start off. They are a religious based military orders, so they're kind of like a paramilitary they're kind of like a private group of mercenaries who happened to agree with the state powers and state religion of the day, and they formed during the Crusades, a series of religious wars starting between like ten ninety five and ten ninety nine, so very late into the eleventh century. And like you said, Matt, these folks were part of a larger phenomenon in Western Europe wherein the Christian forces said they were going to stop the spread of Islam and the expansion of Muslim powers. You can see all sorts of heavily romanticized depictions of these crusades and all sorts of social media. I recently rewatched the beginning of robin Hood Prince of Thieves. You guys, remember that one those first ten minutes slap you know what Iri wants, the beginning of Last Night Mennetites, Yes, Sir, in honor of Richard Lewis r I P. But they take very parallel paths. Both deals discuss the Crusades, just one a little more ridiculously than the other. But yeah, no, that movie Robinhood Prince of Thieves was a big one for me growing up as well.
Speaker 2: But the actual Crusades, as you.
Speaker 5: Said, goody sorry, not good YEA.
Speaker 2: Heavily romanticized but dang, just so much death.
Speaker 4: The very delation of a holy war, right, I mean waging a holy war to eradicate a faith that contradicts your own.
Speaker 2: Individual and collective acts of in my opinion, pure evil, of just wanton destruction and violence in the name of good and God.
Speaker 3: It's what we call total war. You know, like civilians were considered combatants because of their religions. Unbelievable, unbelievable, but you have to be right, right, humans human I mean the Crusaders, though, it was kind of like our earlier conversation about calling something the Department of Defense when it proactively does bad things. So the Crusaders said, oh, we're a protective force. We're reclaiming land for our spiritual beliefs. But they, despite the fact that they said they were against Muslim expansion, they actively also expanded sought to expand the rule of Christianity in other non related areas.
Speaker 4: Kind of makes Batman's nickname hit a little different, doesn't it. The Dark Knight, the Caped Crusader, Oh, the capes Crusader. Oh, I just never really thought about the context of that.
Speaker 3: Word before.
Speaker 4: I guess it has gone on to maybe mean more like someone who's trying to right wrongs or whatever. But it was sure very specifically branded around these exact specific crusades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of that is sort of the feedback loop of romanticizing history, which is written by the victors, you know. So to your point, Matt, about people writing with the benefit of retrospect, especially when they're as we'll see, when they're writing about people who are not around, you know, like if you don't want someone to be able to share their side of the story or defend themselves, then you just don't have them in the conversation. And that's kind of what happens with the templars because it's an easier Ah, we'll get into it, but yeah, morals and ethics aside, the idea of the crusade sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 2: It does. I think we have to continue to stress here. One of the primary goals in these crusades is to recapture places, like specific locations that includes you know, let's say a castle or a religious site, or a place that's known to have artifacts of historical or religious significance. Taking taking those places back or defending those places.
Speaker 3: Nice. Yeah, great point and good set up too, because the we're talking about the levant right, the Holy Land sites in that area, or sites that would be of strategic interest between Europe or between Rome and Jerusalem. So Bethlehem, Temple Mount, all the hits, all the good ones, and a lot of the people who served in the Crusades or participated in them from the Western side. They were working for blood and treasure, and they were also working through what they saw as a spiritual impetus. It was your get out of Hell free card. So just like you know, if you have some bad stuff in your past and you join the French Foreign Legion, which I promise I'll stop referencing at some point, please, don't you know?
Speaker 4: Can I just say that you get out of Hell free card is my favorite Monopoly play.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's a very intense version of monopoly from the original Landlord's Game. But the idea was, no matter what kind of horrible stuff you did back home, if you were fighting with righteous cause, then all would be forgiven. And that was kind of the pitch that the Powers that Be made to nobles, tonights, to peasants, to pilgrims. Pope Urban the Second had launched the first crusade in what we say like ten nine five ten nine nine around there, And as you can tell, there were multiple crusades or multiple waves of this phenomenon because the fighting went back and forth.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, the whole get out of hell free card aspect of it is just such a sickening paradox because it essentially empowered folks to feel righteous in their rapings and pillagings and you know, stealing outright of other people's properties and livelihoods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, before we get into this, I have a misunderstanding here. I was looking a lot at some of the other orders. One that you're mentioning here been the Hospitallers or Hospitallers. I don't know exactly how to say it. It's the group that was around for a long time ended up becoming what we know is the Knights of Malta or the Order of Malta. They've they've got a crazy name too, the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta.
Speaker 3: How many of other things can he be of? But that lament.
Speaker 2: In order to gain like the upper levels and some of the like the knighthood essentially those or in that organization and the organizations that came before it, you had to be of noble descent and you had to prove nobility, which is a really interesting thing to me when we're talking about these crusades, right, it's trying to get as much support as you can, get as many fighting men at the time as you can, but you're also being led by people of the upper crust of society who are actual knights.
Speaker 3: Kind of like World War One?
Speaker 2: Is it? How is it? Tell me about that because I don't know.
Speaker 3: So officer class, at least for the British in World War One was often going to be people who were born from the higher end of the socioeconomic spectrum because, similar to the Crusades, it was seen as an ideological spiritual conflict and also democracy famously not really a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put the important people on the ridge overlooking the battlefield.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 4: And I guess my question too has been was this was there a traditional warfare.
Speaker 3: Aspect to this? Like absolutely there was, Okay, so there was like.
Speaker 4: A battlefield and like a front line, So It wasn't literally just people swinging swords at peasants.
Speaker 3: There were folks.
Speaker 4: Defending their faith again the incoming crusaders.
Speaker 3: There were folks defending There were tons of what we will call war crimes, because you know, every war is a grab for resources, right, and you can paint it however you wish. You can believe in different ideologies partastic, right, Yeah, they were. They were definitely hitting what we will call peasant villages or coming in and saying, you know, whatever evil we do is in the service of this greater good. We've got our get out of Hell free card, you know, so even if we die in the pursuit, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I get all that.
Speaker 4: I guess my question is who were they fighting against? Who Maybe we're actually somewhat up to the task.
Speaker 3: Uh, then those would be those would be military forces of on the side of Islam, got it. Yeah, that's a picture different, like caliphates and empires or warlords. But then also, you know, an they thought wasn't Christian? And I love that we're pointing out the different religious orders because the templars weren't the only ones, The hospitallers weren't the only ones. There were multiple orders of Nights, still doing that same hierarchical nobility kind of thing, and they each had their own area of focus or like their spin on the belief system or their expertise. And in the beginning, the Templars were a pretty small group. The Crusades have already been happening. When these guys come into play in like eleven nineteen Common era, we're talking such a small group, like such a small rap crew size. It's like eight or nine dudes. They're all French Knights, and they say, we are going to be a defensive force. We're going to protect all these pilgrims traveling to Jerusalem because, as we'll see, travel was the icy at the time. And they were.
Speaker 4: Almost like an escort like kind of right, like a very evil Triple A for.
Speaker 3: Me, guys keep behind the curtain waiting on Triple A. Not currently. So they also had very interesting real estate. They were given quarters near the Temple Mount of Jerusalem, and that's where their name comes from, the Knights Templar, or their street name, because their other name is just too long to keep saying. And they had these vowels. They had a thing like a manifesto called the Templar Rule capital R, and the Templar Rule would become darkly hilarious and ironic over time because it included things like vows of chastity and vows of poverty, and then really specific rules for how they had to fight wars, and their entire lives were very closely regimented, like even unto how they could dress or when in what they could eat, like were two guys had to share one bowl they got meat every other day.
Speaker 2: It's really similar to Cistercian living. It's spelled cis t e er cia n so like monastic guidance and rules, and it's specifically in that poverty and where basically all your ant chastity, but all you're doing is work and it's not at the time. It's not like you're getting paid a bunch of money for that work, right, you were just doing that work because you were called to do that work and it is your duty.
Speaker 4: Essentially, these guys were almost like heavily armed monks, right, like I mean super devout and evangelical I guess for lack of a better term, where they really took this stuff, every aspect of it to the letter, very very seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all took it very seriously, we believe, especially or at least in the beginning. And about ten percent at its height, about ten percent of the total population of the Templars were actual warrior monks. Again and and that's that sounds like a very small number, but we have to remember, like in modern militaries even today, the bulk of the people working there are infrastructure. You know what I mean. You can't have Uh it's difficult, I should say, to have one hundred percent of your people be that forward line, you know, because it takes a lot to build that line in the first place.
Speaker 2: Can I just say my favorite Diblo three character I ever made was a monk, and I was like a warrior monk, and I just loved that concept. Yeah that's cool, someone that doesn't do anything but meditates and then kicks butt with theirs like the wind.
Speaker 3: Gosh, yes, I love it too. I've always wanted to play a monk in some role playing games, but they're often, at least in the D and D universe, they're super underpowered, which is sad. They should be the they should be Bruce lle right, they should be the most powerful.
Speaker 4: I forget the name of the class. But in elden Ring, which I admittedly never finished, I was the kind of cleric I guess with the that had like a almost like a blind swordsman kind of vibe, like had like the thing. And I really love that vibe too, because that implies like I don't need no eyes.
Speaker 3: I got the eyes of God working on my side. You know that's the the incantation class, right, I believe that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so high des class that had these clause It was so awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I need to revisit.
Speaker 4: I did that dumb thing where I got to a place where I just wasn't powered up enough to compete, and it frustrated me so much that I just gave up.
Speaker 2: But boy am I kicking.
Speaker 4: But at Skyrim now, guys, a ten year old game that compared to elden Ring is like a walk in the park.
Speaker 3: But it's it's a ten year game. You can play for ten years, dude. It's unbelievably modern feeling.
Speaker 4: The only thing that sets that you know, makes it feel older is sometimes the character facial movements.
Speaker 3: That's it. The the what's the word. Environments are unbelievably immersive.
Speaker 4: I'm in winter Hold now, I just joined the college anyway, Sorry, we're nerds.
Speaker 3: No safe travels man. Also, I'm now altern on skyroom just to walk around exactly with similar mission. But the so, these guys, the Templars, they have this amazing real estate. They're pretty hardcore about their beliefs and they they are very very popular with the Christian powers that be, the power structure of the time, and a lot of it, weirdly enough, goes down to a very good promotional campaign. All right, propaganda. I'm making it sound nicer than it is. A co founder of the group is a guy named pardon the French here. Bernard des clare and Claveau is a French monk. He later chieves sainthood. He's canonizes, he becomes the patron saint of to your point, Matt, Sistercians, Cistercians.
Speaker 2: I saw his Cistercians, but makes yeah crustaceans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to kick it with more monks. Uh. So he's also the patron state of beekeepers and candle makers several specific locations, and of course the Knight's Templar. This dude is so good at marketing. He is very successful at making templar membership the thing to do for the noble class.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, okay, so you you want it. You're a noble and you want to be a knight. You gotta do this, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the hot move, right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so hospitallers and templars for minu they have kind of a Pepsi coke rivalry with membership. They kind of have like a Princeton Yale thing going on. But because this guy is so successful at this, and partially due to social pressures at the time, the way inheritance works in these landholding families. Because of all these factors, templar membership explodes. It grows very quickly. Over the next two hundred years, which is a long time, they become an international private fighting force and much much more than that, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a private, private fighting force that has loads of money. Yes, yeah, well okay, So if you look at Cistercian living like right now in twenty twenty four, there are still a lot of monks, this is one way to describe them, who live in monasteries, and those monasteries make money, not the monks themselves, but the monasteries make money by doing things like growing fruit and wheat to make let's say, a fruitcake or something that they sell which is common, or back in the day brewing beer which would then be sold.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, like the monastery itself, the organization ends up making a lot of money, but usually that doesn't transfer to on an individual level because of the vows they are taken, because of the way it's set up.
Speaker 4: You know, it pays for upkeep and such and goes back into the organization, I guess to a degree and probably enriches higher ups, you know, up the chain.
Speaker 2: But it's different with the templars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in the beginning, they're supposed to be individually impoverished, right, like so many other ascetic movements. And you can go to if you are lucky enough to live near a nunnery or a monastery, go check it out. Yeah, get you to it. Yeah. We've got a great one near near Atlanta out in Conyers called Our Lady of the Holy Spirit, and they do not have a loitering law. They have classed it up. They have a nice little bonzeye garden, they've got a gift shop in a museum. It's a great day trip.
Speaker 5: But those we still haven't done it, Ben, Can we go together?
Speaker 3: Can we play this year? Maybe the three of us could go together. I would love that.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely trip. Yeah, I would do that anytime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of fun, and they've got anyway. I don't want to rant too much about or rave too much about them. But the modern monks you see are very much not the templars, very much not. These guys would actually tangle at their height. There were twenty thousand people, of which, as we said, ten percent were what you would call forward line like warrior monks. And for a while, for a couple of centuries, it was pretty swell to be a templar like you were, mister Popular. They, like you said, Matt, they become incredibly wealthy. They get super into real estate because they get a lot of spoilers of war and you'd spoilers of war, which spoils of war, but also spoilers resources. Yeah, holy grail, melted faces. Jeez. So they so as they are becoming more and more successful, their former allies, the the nobility in particular, start to find the nobility and the Catholic Church they find the templars increasingly concerning.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, when you have that much power and maybe as another very powerful organization you're making moves or having to make decisions that aren't popular with this other popular group that is really powerful. That could be that could be bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and think about it.
Speaker 4: I mean this is at a time and history or sure, of course the Catholic Church has been around for a while, but I mean the playing field is a lot more level that. You know, with the templar, they're getting so much power of wealth that they have the potential to even like maybe overthrow the papal See or whatever the Holy See.
Speaker 3: Possible secessionism, right, they could move to becoming a state's power.
Speaker 2: Well, but this is also game of throne stuff, right, Yeah, because you're you're talking about different kings who are trying to put their hands in religious issues that are coming up to control, like everything from where the like pope lives in controls, Like there's a lot going on in history around this time when it comes to the rulers, like the kings.
Speaker 3: Who gets to be the pope? You know? Yeah, and so you're right, let's introduce our buddy heavy p aka King Philip the fourth of France. He's very angry with the Templars. As public opinions starts to sour, rumors begin to spread, you know, like, how did these guys get so successful? How do you become a templar? What are they really doing in there? What's he building in there? And King Philip totally agrees with these rumors, because behind the curtain, behind the throne, he is up to his neck in debt with the Templars. He owes this group money, so when he sees public opinions start to shift in the wind, he leverages it as an attempt to get out of debt the fastest way possible by killing the people that you owe money to.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but but I think his end goal right is to take them out or at least remove that organization to which he owes all that money. But he does it in this political intrigue way. Guys, with this dude, one of the popes, Pope Clement the Fifth, it's a real little finger kind of move right to the way it plays out, And there's so much detail we're not gonna be able to get into all of it today, but we would highly recommend that you check out Pope Clement the Fifths, all the papal bulls he put out and the meetings that he had, because the Templars had a really strong presence in France, like basically looming over the King's shoulder there going you still owes a lot of money, and so he got the Pope to make moves against the organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because they again they are talking the talk right of following the Catholic Church. Therefore, the Pope should be the highest authority on the planet. And if the Pope says jumped, they have to jump. But the Pope is human and is also therefore vulnerable to political pressures or geopolitical pressures, and so heavy p says, we're going to weaponize these rumors, and he goes to Pope Clement in thirteen oh seven and he says, you need to find all the Templars in France, and you need to arrest them, get them to confess to these rumors, and then kill them. And the Pope, by the way later sort of exonerates these guys, but he moves with the wind of King Philip's power. And so it's like a scene in Breaking Bad with all those prison executions happening in two minutes on the morning of Friday, October thirteenth, thirteen oh seven, authorities raid the Paris headquarters of the Templars, arrest everyone they find if they don't kill them there, and then they go to every known member's home at the same time and do the same thing. This is not enough for heavy p We know this because a few days or a few years later, in thirteen twelve, like you said, Matt, the escalation through the pope continues. He says, you, as the Pope, have to officially disband this order. And so thirteen twelve is commonly considered the official end of the Knight's Templar.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, King Philip, the fourth crafty dude.
Speaker 4: On paper though, right, But then the conspiracy thrives that they went underground or that they.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, some survived, right, and the practices and knowledge that was associated with being a templar, right, that kind of secret of stuff near the top. The idea is that that got preserved and passed down in some way and probably absorbed into another organization or organizations.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then with that also is the idea that perhaps some of the mysterious artifacts and relics they found had power, and that those continued so the idea is that Templars went underground, they went off the grid. But we got to think about that for a moment, because imagine you're just the average person living there. Right. Maybe you have done well enough in life and you were fortunate enough to make a pilgrimage to a holy site in the Middle East or the Levante, and then you you were fortunate enough to come back, and you probably had involvement with the Templars if you did those things. And so from your perspective, one of the most popular powerful forces on Earth, as you know it, suddenly becomes public enemy number one and then disappears. As a result, it's no surprise there would be so many bizarre stories and theories about them. Tonight's question, how many, if any of those stories are true.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna get right into that after a quick word from our sponsors.
Speaker 3: Templar pedic mattress.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 3: That's fun, ben, I don't dislike that at all.
Speaker 2: Good does not allow fornication of any sort or marriage. Sex cannot have it on this bed.
Speaker 3: But there's a there is a guaranteed human head in every mattress.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, wow, guys, Before we get into this, I just want to give a couple of things for people to search up. And I want to ask you guys about the papal bulls.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The bulay, I think is how that would be the plural of that. I didn't know much about this, but I think we've mentioned it before in another episode.
Speaker 4: But yeah, because I think I just remarked on what a bizarre sounding thing it is, and it's just it's a declaration, right, a proclamation.
Speaker 2: A decree, right, a public decree by the pope, which is a kind of yeah, but it was always written in like scroll format and.
Speaker 3: These formal language, I'm sure, oh yeah, but the the what is it?
Speaker 2: What were they called? It was the pieces of clay that you would attach or lad that you would attach to like seal up one of these official writings. Some of the history that is so fascinating and I just didn't know any of it before looking into this episode. Look up vox in excelso, which is one of these papal bulls, which is the one that was basically like saying, hey, templars, you're done it. I'm playing Hogwarts Legacy right now, guys, which is another video game. Sorry, but it sounds like a spell that you had cast vox in excelso petronas surrectum.
Speaker 3: Like Cardi B's real name.
Speaker 2: Wait, it's a one, it's a lot, I'll give it to you.
Speaker 3: Cardi B's real name is Bell Callus Marlettas Cephis, which sounds like a Harry Potter spell.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets crazy. There are there's so many theories, conspiratorial theories about the Knights Templar and what happened to them, right, And it's it's kind of like if you have friends and are both fans of a band with a very deep catalog, you end up choosing your own favorite theories or albums, right well.
Speaker 4: Especially if you guys feel like, let's say it's like a David Bowie or something where there are very distinct eras and vibes that like, you know, oh, I'm a big eighties Bowie fan, or some people are more into like the email records or whatever. Not to say they would necessarily disagree over one being better than the other, but a deep catalog sometimes implies blind spots for certain people, and that's certainly the case with these conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's explore some of the biggest ones. As we said, we're not going to get to everything, folks, because it is pretty dense. We would love to hear your own takes on this. It's kind of like the buffet version of conspiracy folklore. So just stroll around with us tonight, add what you like to your plate. I think maybe the first thing we talked about the finance. The finance conspiracies very interesting because at least one is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys, we're fine financial innovators. Think right now, if you have if you use a bank, right, let's say you're in the city where you live, and then you have to take a flight to a different city. Let's say somewhere in Minnesota. You land in Minnesota, your bank probably has a branch in you know, in Minnesota nearer to where you landed, and you could go get money out from that bank, that same bank from you know, in a completely different place where you deposited your money or your company put that money into your bank in some other state. Right, that's a given easy. That wasn't always the case, right, if you had a bank somewhere, that money was in that bank that particular place, if you could go get it. Think of it's almost like a security deposit. It's more like that you can go in and get your money if you need to, but your bank's going to protect it. These guys, the Templars figured out early on that some people might need to get money in a different place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which led to their success to set that up. Let's note this. Here's the real, the genuine, provable conspiracy. It is that King Philip conspired to wipe these guys out. That is true. That is an actual conspiracy. You might ask yourself, how does a king of all people get in debt with a private group, a private military like the Templars. It's because, you know, ten percent fighters and the rest of them are sort of finance bros. Dude.
Speaker 4: This totally reminds me of Game of Throwne stuff. There was the Iron Bank, the Golden Compass or no, that's a different thing, the Golden Company, and they were basically a giant, militarized group of cell swords that are completely in the pocket of the Iron Bank. That's obviously something George R. Martin was very familiar with this type of history.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, like, like we're saying, you could go to their headquarters in England, the Temple Church in London would deposit funds there and they would issue in exchange a certificate sort of a cod a certificate a deposit, and then you could go on your pilgrimage. If you survived, when you got to Jerusalem, you would exchange that piece of paper for the appropriate amount of money or the value of whatever you deposited way back in England. And this was a huge game changer because pilgrimage is very, very popular. After the First Crusade, there's some Christian control of Jerusalem, but it's incredibly dangerous. It's like a two month journey if everything works out.
Speaker 4: Am I being conspiratorial and within the conspiracy to think that there's some inherent grift involved in this?
Speaker 3: Like is this fair?
Speaker 4: Like were people actually getting their money if they.
Speaker 3: Get where okay minus a percentage, Okay, there lies the grit, But that's just the grift of banking, like your banking fees.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, yeah, and you can you know, use all of that money that's in the bank to make loans and all kinds of stuff, which is again feels contrary to you know, the Bible, but whatever.
Speaker 4: Whatever, all that stuff about the money changers and Jesus knocking over the the you know, the tables and the whatever.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: It does feel like this is very contradictory to what the teachings of Christ would encourage.
Speaker 3: And again in the beginning, these templar members are saying, yes, we get a percentage. However, this is not usury because it's not going to us, it's going to the greater goods though.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, like you said, this was set aside, a set apart from the way monasteries worked. The structure of it was much more self serving, wouldn't you say.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair to say it evolved into that over time, right, But in the beginning they were definitely monastic, like you would you would have basic the Crusade's version of paying your household utilities and then all the other stuff doesn't go to you. It goes to build another house or to further your aim. And this is a really great and necessary thing for religious pilgrims, Christian pilgrims going to the Holy Land, because those like the two months perfect journey time from Italy to Jerusalem, it almost never happened because as you traveled you would run into things like sickness, war and the constant threat of robbery, all problems which became more severe and more likely the further you got from home. People got jacked all the time. They got robbed all the time because they had to carry a bunch of valuable stuff with them so that they didn't starve on the way. You know, you have to sleep somewhere, have to eat something, you have to bribe a lot of officials. And these pilgrims they're not badass monks, you know, they're regular people. So they usually don't have weapons. They might not have security, kind of like herd animals. The best safety they have is numbers, so they try to move in a big unit and then that just makes the predators evolve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's lots of opportunists at the time. And also it's been a war torn area that you've got to make your way through to get to Jerusalem, no matter where you're aheading from. So you know, good luck, I guess, very very dangerous.
Speaker 3: Go with God. Literally, indeed, it's a war zone. They are walking through a war zone pretty often. I want to go to Big Think a great piece by Tim Brinkoff. He's got a quote that I think sums up just how genius the idea of this remote banking was so the part of the Templars. Yeah, absolutely, he says.
Speaker 4: For most European pilgrims, getting robbed was simply a risk they had to take if they wanted to reach the place where Jesus Christ was believed to have been crucified and resurrected. British travelers, however, had a way to minimize that risk. In London, there was an organization known as the Temple Church where pilgrims could deposit a portion of their savings. In return, they were given a letter of credit that they could use to withdraw their savings once they reached Jerusalem. So this was literally in response to the rampant muggings, for lack of a better term, that was taken. So this gave people the ability to not have to carry all of their earthly wealth along with them and then it would be waiting for them on the other end, because there was such high demand from making this trip and it was so perilous. So, you know, the more I think about it, it's a pretty cool service being offered, I would say, you know, and it's also a system that is incentivized to be reliable.
Speaker 3: So it's because otherwise it's a heck of a trust fall, isn't it to say, here, I'm going to give you the equivalent of several years worth of everything I've worked for, And I just hope the little letter you wrote me matters when I get to this place I've never visited before, a foreign country. This did make the pilgrimage way safer. I mean, sure people still got robbed all the time and murdered and maimed and assaulted, but there's not really a better defense from a mugging than to not have anything to mug well, yeah, what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you also have the templars who are stationed along the routes there who can actually physically defend you.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like a little part of the service, little perk.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know, they probably didn't call it this because marketing wasn't what it is today, but they definitely had like premium travelers, you know, like pilgrimage plus. Ooh, that's what they would call it. Pilgrimage plus. Where you know you're the child of a noble family or you yourself are an aristocrat of some sort. They want to shepherd you through safely, and then later they want to come back to you and say like, hey, yeah, happy with your service, because we would love to not pay taxes. This is again all for God, right, we would love a donation since we saved your kid right in Jerusalem. And more often than not, the monarchs assented, they said yes, and they.
Speaker 2: Had a really good thing going until as history has shown us, the area Jerusalem exchanged hands again, as it would several other times after this. But it was in what twelve forty four.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, twelve forty four. Some I love that you said self swords earlier. Some mercenary armies from modern day in northern Iraq, they come in and they take over Jerusalem. And this is a bloody battle. Like we said, it had already been fortified by the occupying powers, so they paid in blood to overtake the city.
Speaker 4: So at this point, the Holy Land is no longer under European control, and European pilgrims as a result, stopped making those popular pilgrimages. Without those there was no reason for that system anymore, the one where they placed their savings with the Temple.
Speaker 2: Church, and that caused the holdings.
Speaker 4: Of this let's just call it what it is, you know, Holy Bank, I guess to begin to dwindle. So this began to be the start of kind of some cracks forming in the strength and the armor of the old knights Templar.
Speaker 2: Those those Corasmian mercenaries were the original disruptors.
Speaker 3: Guys. There we go. Yeah, they also I wonder you know, it's funny. I think mercenaries probably did do surge pricing.
Speaker 2: Oh, marks at a premium, Like what's the demand?
Speaker 3: They just set rate. That doesn't make sense. This is what sets us apart a flat fee per city or civilization. No searge priced.
Speaker 2: If I've learned anything from the quests where you have to protect somebody along a route. I hate escort quest I know they're awful, but they do change the price. Your reward changes depending on the route and the length of time and the number of people you're protecting.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, and the health points at the end. Hot take those guys.
Speaker 4: I just don't see anything inherently wrong with quote unquote dynamic pricing if it's done within reason and it's tied to supply chain issues like we were talking, or demand. Of course, you should be able to charge a little more if your services are more in demand, you know, because you're operating at like a premium and.
Speaker 3: It's almost like literally a service you're offering to even be available at that time. Anyway, No, you're right, I mean for pilgrimage plus, I've decided to call it, they have, like the templars, have to be predictable, they have to be reliable, they have to do what they said that were going to do. And so long as pilgrims keep pilgrimming business is good. To be very soulless about it, we're talking about inelastic demand. Right, People are still going to go on pilgrimages. In fact, sometimes the worst stuff gets in Europe, though more likely people are to travel because they want to get right with God.
Speaker 2: Well, so you got to get that emerald status of pilgrimage plus, you know what I mean. Emerald status is that better than diamond status.
Speaker 3: It's rail status is better than diamond status. Yes, there are so without these pilgrimages, they're still making money, just not as near as much, and they still get a lot of sweetheart benefits from different governments and state powers. They still have a lot of people who owe them money. But one guy who owes the money sees an opportunity, and all heavy P swoops in suppresses silences the order, and because they are suppressed, that means it was easy for people to make all sorts of weird claims about them. These claims grew more extravagant and bizarre over time. There was a lot of vilification, appropriation like oh I am actually my thing is the descendant of the Templars. And it teaches us something really common again in human dynamics. If you are afraid that someone will not fall for your propaganda, you're afraid that someone will not stand for, you know, character assassination, then just literally assassinate them or silo them, remove them from the conversation. You can say whatever you want and it doesn't matter whether it's true. And that's what happened with the Templars. That happens all the time, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the time. And just as a reminder, heavy P is King Philip the fourth of y.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so that's a good note. So we see this suppression, like there's a great article in the Conversation by author Patrick Masters and he says, because the Templars were suppressed, there was no one to safeguard their legacy, and then all these other groups came in and said, yeah, well we're actually the Templars now, you know, look at me, I'm the captain. Now of the Templars.
Speaker 2: Were Templars. But we do some of their practices, hold some of their beliefs, and there's a lot of them. And one of the I guess one of the next things we're gonna talk about is some of the weirder maybe religious beliefs and practices of the Templars because and again it's often because of this association with Freemasonry and Masonic orders of the time.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, and a lot of these orders claiming even today to be descendants of the Templars. They're not necessarily sinister, you know, they're not like bad guys or whatever.
Speaker 4: But I mean the Shriners, like you know, basically put all of their efforts into building children's hospitals and stuff that has happened. To drive the tiny little weird cars and wear funny hats. They do a lot of good.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say, I would say, without exception, all of the other orders that you know, in some way absorbed part of the Templar legacy. They are all at least front facing service organizations, all of them right, right, exactly, even the Order of Malta, like it's it's about a hospital, man, It's about providing services and good to the world through our.
Speaker 3: Our faith, really, yeah, through the power of faith. Right, And this idea of faith and religion plays a big role because now society, civilization at the time, is confronted with a murder mystery, Right, what happened to this powerful thing? How is it here one day and then the next. The juicier the story, the better, and that leads us to the moment we've all been waiting for our second ad break. We've returned onward to the occult. So this is the stuff you see about templars and fai, right, this is all the juicy like Indiana Jones, Dan Brown Catholic conspiracy stuff. There are accusations of occult rituals and trafficking with infernal powers. They're saying the people who are on the front face supposed to be godly are actually quite the opposite. There's an enemy within. The call is coming from inside the house. And this just kicks off when they arrest everybody. Because when they arrest all those folks. They get confessions appearing to confirm all this evil, magic, dark sided stuff. You know what you did, you cross piers.
Speaker 2: You guys. This comes from the stuff that Philip the fourth got Pope Clement the fifth to do. And it's that vox and excelsio excelso whatever it is. By the way, my character's name is Duke Wellington in Hardwart's legacy. But can I read just a little bit of this because this is what they were accused of. And then this is, I think, where all of these rumors come from. This is a reading from vox in excelso a papole decree issued by Pope Clement the Fifth on the twenty second of March thirteen twelve. Quote in view of the suspicion, infamy, loud insinuations and other things which have been brought against the Order, talking about the templars, and also the secret and clandestine reception of the brother of this order, in view moreover of the serious scandal which has arisen from these things just going on on a here we go danger to faith and souls, with the many horrible things which have been done by the very many of the brothers of this Order, and it talks about the sin of wicked apostasy, the crime of detestable idolatry, and the execrable outrage of the Sodomites. That that's when he says, it's not without bitterness and sadness of heart that we abolish the order of the Temple. So it's just like the Pope is saying, these are accused of these horrible things, and this is what they did.
Speaker 3: Apostasy is Apostasy is also it's denying the existence of God, and it is still a crime in some countries. Also, like you said, the accusations of having same sex relationships, they got very specific into acts of heresy, spitting, urinating on the cross. So that's uh, but that's it's just contradicting.
Speaker 2: It feels like the.
Speaker 4: Kind of stuff that could be, you know, coerced in during an act of torture.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. It's also you can tell it's a hit piece because it's contradictory. These folks say there is no God, but then they also believe there is a God enough to defame that thought's existence. Yes, you know, it's a very very good point, dude.
Speaker 2: It's a bully move and we talked sping a bully moves when they got arrested right and pulled from their houses all at the same time in that one big move. Uh, it's it's not like they went to jail and they're like, hey, confess to your sense. Well, they got.
Speaker 3: Tortured, like capital t torture. Oh yeah, like this is a little more dark jails, gnarly torture, more fingernails, no more teeth, lead out slowly, kind of gut wound, rack stretching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you ready to confess yet? Of all these things we accuse you.
Speaker 3: Of cross and branding, you know, probably equivalent waterboarding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, we talk about these sort of extreme torture techniques and how they lead to unreliable results, But have you ever really put yourself in that situation?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you not only say whatever they wanted you to.
Speaker 4: Say, but maybe even believe it a little bit, Like when your mind and body are just being twisted to that degree. I think I could honestly say it and make myself even believe that I had done it.
Speaker 3: There are four lights star Trek reference.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're you're right. Psychologically it's a minefield. That's why Confessions under duress are so tricky if you are. It's similar to like cult indoctrination, because we've talked about in the past. If you're just kept somewhere for hours and hours and hours even today, and you're just repeatedly gas lit and told the same things, then yeah, you may end up believing it. And they don't have to put their hands on you at all. These guys are doing both.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, exactly well, and at the hands of a freaking king that owed the group a ton of money, so he wins either way, if you confess or not, because if you don't confess, you get tortured to death. If you do confess, you get sentenced to You know, you're the rest of your life in prison or death, the.
Speaker 3: Most dangerous offer. You are going to die. It's up to you how it goes. You can make it quick if you tell us why you worship a deity called Bapha met shh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I think everybody who's listening to this knows Baha met. The most familiar one you've probably seen, has the goat head right and often is doing the as above so below motion with the hands and fingers isn't that also a.
Speaker 4: Reference to some of the poses that are done in like imagery like of Christ and religious you know figures, or they'll be doing the fingers up like the sort of peace sign, but this one is like one of them is inverted.
Speaker 3: Isn't that right? Are you accusing Christian symbolism of not being entirely original? Well, yeah, you're right, though, I agree, you're absolutely right, Noel. This there's a book from nineteen eighty seven whi's pretty great called The Knights Templar in their Myth and the author Peter Partner, which gave me a hard time. Still yeah, yeah, nominative determinism anybody, he said, yeah, pen name name. He says that in the some of the trials of the Templars, both as individuals and as a group, the main charge, like the big problem, was that they were not worshiping God. They were worshiping a different thing. This is where the idolatry comes in. They were worshiping an idol in the form of a head, and it was called Baphomet and batha Met. Is interesting because the Templars never talk about this before the trial. There's not one piece of writing documentation internal or external wherein they ever mentioned this thing. So the argument then is that they never mention it because it is such a secret, because they are seeing worships washed.
Speaker 2: Okay, but hold on it. There is an intrigue here, well at least I don't know. Look tell me if you guys are intrigued by this. But physical places like Bagras Castle, a place in Turkey. It's literally a castle up on a hill where you can look all the way over into Syria and a strategic position like that, you can see the Mediterranean, see you can see any armies that are coming your way right in this castle that was controlled by a bunch of different groups over time, but the Templars controlled it for a while. There are all of these hidden tunnels and passageways and secret places within that, within that castle that they controlled that it's been I guess it's an accusation. It's a mystery as to some of the writings and carvings and stuff that were found in there, some of the things that were considered secret. A lot of it you can't point to and say, hey, there's definitely this whatever. You can't say there's a baphomet in there in the you know, third corridor from the bottom or whatever. But there is weird stuff with some of the places they controlled that do seem to hint at some different worship than what would be described.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: But our secret rooms and passages sort of a staple of the Masons and of these types of orders.
Speaker 3: They're good for a siege, right, regardless of your belief. It's nice to have a place to squirrel away or a secondary exit that no one knows about, and that's part of it. But also in some of these locations, to be clear, it's like they moved into a house where someone else had lived. So the question is did the worship stay as well? Right did they introduce this? Were they just around it? This leads to what I think too, and I think we're on the same page, is the most fascinating possibility about the occult conspiracy stuff. So first we have to say the confessions that were derived under torture do not seem uniform. Some folks were saying, I don't know what you're talking about. Some folks were like, oh my gosh, leave me my other foot. I'll agree to whatever, and they're like, tell us about the idol. And in each case they told a different story about the idol, about its appearance. It was a cat ahead with three faces, a regular, a regular old severed head. And then it gets even weirder to your point, Matt, because the templars probably did have a couple spare severed heads laying around. That is true, it's just like, how did they treat the severed heads.
Speaker 4: I do also see potential motivation for turning away from traditional Christian beliefs in that they were railroaded by the church in such a hardcore way.
Speaker 2: But again, it's weird because all of that kind of happened relatively at the same time, right, and they were being persecuted for their previously held beliefs, like that's why they got railroaded, at least allegedly according to the Pope and the King of France. So it is weird. It is weird thing about that. But let's get back to the heads bend, because this is I didn't know this, but severed heads, like it was an okay thing to keep them around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you just had to treat them reliquaries. Yeah, like this this saint is very important to us, so we're keeping the head as a object of adoration, right, and still very it's it's still in the milieu of Christianity. It is normalized. They had kind of yeah, or just boil it out until it's until no soft matter remains and it's a skull, and then put some like silver precious metals around it, you know, pop a couple of jewels in the eyes. Just make it, you know, Jude, it up cool, nothing better, nothing weird. They they probably had the head of or the claims where they had the head of a saint, Saint Euthemia. They also quite possibly had the head of their other co founder, the first Grand Master of the Templars. Huge depals. It sounds like huge dependence to us. Uh, but they did. Okay, So here's what's interesting to me. This is a little bit like Heart of Darkness Colonel Curtsey stuff. But did they we know, proximity breeds familiarity in all things. Is it possible that some of these guys spent so long in these other parts of the world that they naturally, through cultural osmosis, began to pick up traditional beliefs. That's not a one on one or that's not a one two switch, that's not a yes no thing, that's a gradual increment, right, because you you know, you're increasingly not practicing your vow of poverty nor of chastity. You're getting a little closer with the local population.
Speaker 2: It isn't there some kind of weird translation thing here? That was all I read. I've read that bappha Met could have actually stood for like worship of Mohammed or turned into you know, converted maybe to Islam, and they were they had changed sides basically in the big religious.
Speaker 3: War, the calls coming from in the house.
Speaker 2: Did you find anything about that, because that's what it seems like it could be. But again, I don't know, And it's.
Speaker 3: Tough because it's under torture, right, But I agree with you, it does feel like a possible thing. There's a book from eighteen sixty five by Thomas Wright called The Worship of Generitive Powers, and I think with a with a quote from this, a quotation from this, we'll see that comparison of bathha Met as sort of a code for worshiping Islam or practicing I should say Islam. And it's it's interesting. I think we can unpack it. Who's got a who's got a good like old timey voice for this let's.
Speaker 5: Seem Desseren de mont Pissent, a nice of province, said that their superior showed him an idol made in the form of before Met. Another named Raymond Rubai described it as a wooden head on which the figure of before Met was painted, and adds that he worshiped it by kissing its feet and exclaiming Yallah, which was he says verbum sacra snorum, a word taken from the Saracens. A templar of Florence declared that in the secret chapters of the order, one brother said to the other, showing the idol, adore this head. This head is your God and your Mahammet.
Speaker 4: Not bathoetlham, but spelled like a combo meal of like Batha Met and Mohammad.
Speaker 3: Kind of it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: And Yallah doesn't that so familiar?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. And it's also like we also know that Mahomet was an old French word that was a stand in for the prophet Mohammed of Islam. So now there's a political as well as a religious bent. The reasoning is, these monsters are supposed to support Christianity, but they've been perverting our trust. They're worshiping the enemy the whole time, and a lot of times, to be completely honest, literacy about other religions was not a thing. So the average person in Western Europe is aware that Islam is a thing by this point, but they don't know what it entails, right, They haven't read the Koran, they don't know about Ramadan or anything like that, so any they just know they consider these folks to be a largely hostile force. And with that preconception, kind of anything bad you say about them sounds really believable, which again happens today all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, But guys, uh, worship ahead as your god.
Speaker 3: This is your god? Now going blue? I see zikes.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you know it is it is. I don't know, maybe it's it's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's all very above board. But uh but yeah, so they're they're accused of, you know, like you said, switching sides, the idea that their long occupation of these strategic sites in the Holy Land had led to them corrupting their own beliefs. And this happens as The weird thing is their beliefs had become corrupted. They were making a lot of money. The vows of chastity were increasingly irrelevant, right, They weren't living the letter of the templar rule. So it's not too far of a jump in the court of public or papal opinion to say what else, what else did they violate? And so we still know there's a lot of mystery around those practices. But I gotta say, confession under torture, Like we have all pointed out at some point in this episode, confession under torture, does it yield results? Yeah, if you're looking for the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh man, you're right. Is it okay to switch to this next part? Is I think my favorite maybe set of theories, and it's something we've talked about before. It goes back to gnosticism spelled with a G.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shout out Yelda Bath and Sophia huh dude.
Speaker 2: Maybe just let's lay down some groundwork here. There's some interesting concepts within schools of narcissism about God that are don't really vibe with maybe the teachings of the Catholic Church and what the templars are supposed to be following. But it does make me think about my own eternal spiritual stuff going on when reading Old Testament versus recently, just looking at the God of the Old Testament as this jealous, dangerous, scary thing that the Gnostics may be kind of agreed with that view a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the spoiler for gnosticism, folks. The idea is that there are two different kind of planes of existence, and the one that you are hearing this podcast in is the crap one. It's the material world, and just like Madata, you're forced to live in this material world.
Speaker 4: Oh there's also a line from a police song called this is We are spirits in the material world, Our spirits and the material I guess that's a I think that must be a reference to that thing is a pretty philosophically minded fellow.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a concept that goes throughout a bunch of Sorry, Ben, it's it's good stuff.
Speaker 3: So if so.
Speaker 2: But this this concept, it goes throughout a bunch of different religions, right, Yeah, all that we experience is one thing. But really your goal and the stuff you should be focused on is in that other realm, the spiritual realm that you get to access once you die. It's where you were when you're before you were born. Very common thing. But just with the Gnostics that it's it's that a lot of the teachings about these creatures, there are gods that are the all powerful ones are actually evil forces, the ones that are trying to make you focus, I don't know, in some way on what you're doing here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're The idea is you're not just stranded in the less cool reality, the material world. You're in a hostage situation, and everybody is being held back in gnosticism, particularly in this kind of the general vibe of gnosta is that the thing you think is god of this material world is a prison Wharton more likely is a false god. His name's Yaldebath, and he's an absolute pill. And you have to, through gnosticism, learn how to get around this dude and lead a better life and then ultimately graduate to you know, the better universe. The Catholics don't like this.
Speaker 2: No, and the Templars got accused of having association with or being secret Gnostics.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, that somewhere, delving too deep into the desert, they had discovered unclean things, and those unclean things had turned them. And you know it's weird because later you see you see this accusation play out in a much more credible way with the Cathers. The Cather's heretical Gnostic movement also brutally supprese and persecuted by the Church. So it's like it may sound, you know, in an increasingly secular civilization, it may sound like these are silly reasons to torture and kill people.
Speaker 2: But yeah, guys, it makes me think about old school invisible college stuff you know that we love in fiction, and that stuff that actually goes back to theoretical secret writings, and it just makes you think about all of the human beings that have existed throughout the rule of these military almost state level hegemonic powers that were also religions, and the just human beings that are exploring the world and thoughts and having individual thoughts that would be considered heresy and then writing them somewhere and keeping them secret because they can't ever, no one can know that you even had these thoughts, right, right, And especially if you find other people that are kind of into your idea, you got to that stuff secret or else your head is literally going to roll. And it does just make me wonder about again, not necessarily even truths, right or actual religious movements or spiritual again truths, but like just thoughts about the world and what it could be and how it could function outside of those rigid structures that these religions have. I'm fascinated by that stuff, and I know you guys are too. I think we should go even deeper into that realm at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it. Because check out our episodes or various things we did on the Illuminati. A lot of the actual Illuminati, a lot of their conversations were about science and spiritualism, like they were hiding because they had to because power structures kill intelligent, innovative people. Yikes, I mean that's true. You know, like there's to your point, Matt. Somebody might write a treatise on gravity, right, or the passage of the heavens, and they're not making any crazy heretical claims, like directly confronting the current view of God. They're just saying, here's my how stuff works article, and I have to hide it because a church will come after me because they feel like what I am saying about physics is contradicting the spiritual view of the universe.
Speaker 4: Heck, we joke about you know, folks, coming after us, or having you know, the interns listening into our calls from the NSA or what have you. But at the end of the day, there's nobody shutting down any of the things that we're saying, and we pretty much are able to have open discourse about and not necessarily tribute, you know.
Speaker 2: From.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 2: Dude, Ben, do you think there's a secret vault of how stuff works articles somewhere that you can access if you had the right url.
Speaker 3: We're talking about how stuff works after dark?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a different thing.
Speaker 3: I thought that's a different thing. It's different thing, but related things get hot heavy. Yeah, we were all very into cinemax for a second. Sting, sting, sting, amass An Edger, What do you think gooning is together in a group? Is it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: That's what Robert Evans told me.
Speaker 4: And he group we were we were recording a show, and he went out of his way to explain it to me.
Speaker 2: But very nice guy.
Speaker 4: It necessarily has to be in a group. I think it's just another form of like tantric. It's it's supposed to result in a hypnotics trance like state. I thought it was in a group too, But then I don't know, it's one of these things that I guess evolves gooning is a form of legal kidnapping.
Speaker 3: That's differ. And also we're looking at weird websites, so again goodbye to our search history. But yeah, folks, you'll have to ask Robert and maybe maybe you know, maybe the meaning is your own to give. I think that's right. Hey, it's a living language, you know, yeah, right in urch ate it. But this maybe gets us too, because we're closer to the modern day. Before you get to that question, I kind of have to ask, Like, I agree, there's much more to get into. But if like I think our mutually favorite conspiracy theories are true, if the Templars really did discover magic, really did traffic with infernal powers, and if they or if they found some genuine supernatural artifact the Holy Grail, head of a deity, arc of the Covenant, et cetera, if that magic worked, then why didn't it save them? You know what I mean? Like, if you have found the spiritual equivalent of a nuclear bomb, why didn't it detonate? That makes me think it's a little more of a heavy p king Philip hit piece but maybe we end today with the you know, the idea that we set up earlier, did the Templars go away? You know, like is there like the Freemasons are often very closely associated with the Templars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one person we can ask you guys, who's that? He goes by Friar John T. Dunlop Dunlap's. He's the grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. I think we can ask him. He's been the Sovereign grand Master since twenty twenty three May twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, he still got that new car smell. Oh yeah, oh yeah, but you know, you know, he knows he knows something definitely, you know what that is. We'll have to figure out how to ask him the right way, you know, so much as in how we phrase the question. But yeah, he would probably know. I wonder if you would agree with historian Frank Sinello. In two thousand and three, Sinello writes a book called The Knights Templars, God's willriors the Devil's Bankers, and he says he says that it goes back to marketing and promo and propaganda because he's like look, if you travel back in time, there's a guy named Andrew Ramsey. He is a high level French Freemason, and he originally says, hey, Freemasons are descended from the Crusades. They're descended from the Order of the Knights, Hospitaller. And then he realizes, oh, that order is still around. They can come back and tell me or tell the public that I'm making this up. So he quickly changes his story and he says, did I say Hospitaller immense the templars, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Nobody can check nobody can check that out.
Speaker 3: And I think that's informing a lot of these, you know, bit more fan full claims. But again because of the mystery, because they were not all individually murdered, we don't know what happened. And I think that's why, like the Da Vinci Code and all these other assassins Creed, I think that's why templars are a regular recurring thing in fiction.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the freemason lore. Stuff that goes back to descending deep into the earth to pull out stone and discovering things within the earth that still stirs something within me gets me all tingly and excited.
Speaker 3: Her medic influences two Bulcane and all that jazz.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it just gets I really love it. And I'd liked the idea that somehow the Templars were connected to that, but this, it's a really good point.
Speaker 3: I do think it's cool too, you know, shout out to Fox Mulder, right, the truth is out there. We want to believe and if you can inform us, if you can, you know, give us this scoop, just like you would with a casual stranger who ask you a question that we would love to hear your take. We also want to point out that there is an official kind of descendant of the Templars that everybody agrees is descended from them. It's the Order of Knights in Portugal, the Order of the Knights of Jesus Christ, created in thirteen nineteen because the Templars played a big role in creating the Kingdom of Portugal, and the Pope approved this. The Pope was like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was in thirteen nineteen, which is not long after the Templars got.
Speaker 4: Right and Michael hag Or Hague basically referred to this as the Templar and under another.
Speaker 3: Name, but loyal to the King of Portugal. That's right, all right, little twist, but.
Speaker 2: Again there's just words. Again it goes back to the Order of Malta for me, just the way lands we have been gifted to some of these orders, and they all feel like political moves because so many of this group, including the Templars before. I don't know anything about the Order of the Knights of Jesus Christ, but the Order of Malta, this is these are people who have to prove their lineage back to the nobility in order to even join often, which just feels like this weird interconnected power thing it.
Speaker 3: Is, I mean very much so uh the you know, it would be while it may not be correct to assume that conspiracy theories about secret cabals are all automatically true, it would likewise be naive to assume that those very connected people don't speak with each other, you know what I mean, Like, you recognize what your neighbors look like, and in the world of power, those folks are neighbors. They see each other.
Speaker 2: Dude, dude. It just it's taken me back to the project for a New American century and feeling like there's some kind of weird crusade things going on in the Middle East again in the two thousands.
Speaker 3: Oh like, when was it Bush who used the phrase crusade and then realized he had to walk that one back real quick?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah to seven years later. Just let's do it again.
Speaker 4: I have no doubt that there are certain members of certain extreme religious communities that would like nothing better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terrorists too, like anders Brevic I think his name was. He saw himself as a new Templar, as a new crusader. But again, a lot of these a lot of folks who are who have some sort of historical association or maybe ancestry, A lot of these folks who are in organizations that claim to have descended from the templars. They're not bad, they're like a good story like almost anybody else. But there is a conspiracy of play, and it's a conspiracy about money. That's why they got wiped out.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's in power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first to get the money, then you get the power, then King Philip comes for you. I think that's how the Little Kins song goes, right, Yeah, that's it. They got ill popd So with that, I think we've set up some episodes we want to explore in the future. We also want to hear from you guys. How cool would it be if a templar wrote to us, like an actual templar, oh from their secret underground bump bunker temple, send a picture of the head. Please do the deityfication.
Speaker 2: We really do want to hear from anybody out there who is a member of an organization that within that organization it finds ties to templars or to orders. Right, Yeah, it doesn't matter if you believe it or whatever. Just does the order find its roots there somehow?
Speaker 3: Is it part of their lore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, we would love to hear that.
Speaker 3: Also, want to go ahead and thank the people who took us up on sending your pet pictures. Get to go through some of those later today. And you know, if you've got a topic in your head, something just burning, that you want your fellow conspiracy realists to learn about, then let us know that too, or just send us puns. We're open. You know, we're easier to talk to than the Templars of old. We try to be easy to find on lot.
Speaker 2: Boy do we ever.
Speaker 4: You can find us in the handle conspiracy stuff, where we exist on Facebook, YouTube where we have video content rolling at you every single week, as well as x fka, Twitter, on.
Speaker 3: Instagram and TikTok. We're Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: We also have a phone number. You can leave us a voicemail call one eight three three std WYTK. When you call in, give yourself a cool nickname. Let us know if we can use your name in message on the air and say whatever you like. You got three minutes. If you don't want to do that, or you have too much to say, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.