Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm Strong and Gatty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: The other day we talked about how America's government schools are failing and read a fair amount of an unbelievably good, shockingly good piece from The Atlantic entitled America's sliding toward Illiteracy. And as Greg Guttfeld points out here, the philosophies that have ruined American schools are operating above the border as well.
Speaker 3: It's far worse in schools.
Speaker 1: Listen to this Canadian professor.
Speaker 4: I have worked with four and five year olds in schools who have genders that their parents don't want them to have. Parents' rights have suddenly been weaponized against trans and non binary and two spirit youth. I want us to get really comfortable with challenging right wing Christian patriarchy. I want to say things like, you can do work around sexual orientation and gender diversity with children of all ages, and so I want us to think about these conversations in kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Of course you do you sick, repulsive, repulsive, repulsive, Yeah, it is absolutely repulsive. That is a dedicated Neomarxist because they want to erase all of the.
Speaker 1: Binaries.
Speaker 2: It gets into political theory, but that's somebody wants to sexualize children early and then convince them that they are an oppressed gender. Sexuality because Workers of the World unit turned into we actually got an email saying, Joe, what do you mean by neo Marxist. I've explained this many times, but I'm de lighted to explain it many more times.
Speaker 1: If that's what it takes.
Speaker 2: Workers of the World Unite, and Greg Lukianov actually referred to this Last Hour didn't work because the workers of the World are like, you know, I'm getting paid okay, and I'm up for shop foreman next month, and you know, honestly, I'm starting a side business, so thanks. I'm not going to throw off my chains and embrace communism. My life isn't that bad. So when that failed in the twentieth century, the dedicated Marxists thought, okay, what do we do now, And some of those French guys we were mentioning Last Hour came up with every minority of the World unite. Racial minorities weren't quite enough, so they started to invent sexual minorities and to spirit and all sorts of queer theory and gender theory and all this trying to convince everybody that they're an oppressed minority. That was the plan of Neo Marxism that came out of the French intellectual salons in the twentieth century. Like the sixty I think was the real hot time of it, and this seventies, these guys were celebrated as great thinkers, including by the left in the US anyway, So that's what I'm talking about. We got a hell of a lot of reaction from educators to our discussion of the Atlantic piece and some of the miserable, miserable stats going on.
Speaker 1: In American education right now.
Speaker 2: The lead of the Atlantic pieces the past decade may rank is one of the worst in the history of American education. It marks a stark reversal from what was once a hopeful story. And if the Atlantic is saying that, babe whoo, things are bad.
Speaker 1: So onto the reaction.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep everybody anonymous here, but Aleen Anonymous is from a fairly small town in Idaho who says I'm an avid listener.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And wanted to share my experience of teaching in a small town, very red North Idaho. You are correct in saying that education is liberal everywhere. What I said was, I don't care if your state or your town is ruby red. There is a sapphire blue patch. It is your local schools anyway. She goes on. The kids in my school are allowed to wear tails and ears. They identify as animals. Teachers openly discuss their contempt for conservative values and traditional families. They mock parents who have chosen to pull their children from schools to home school. They find it ridiculous that parents are allowed to see the curriculum at all, and to see all the curriculum that we use. When we moved here six years ago, I naively thought I would be entering a place where we would encounter like minded educators.
Speaker 1: I was sorely mistaken.
Speaker 2: I will say that the indoctrination is more subtle than the parents are watching for it. But even in a county that went seventy six percent for Trump, it is alive and well in the schools.
Speaker 1: Keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: It's because the critical theory stuff I've been talking about caught hold first in the colleges of education in the United States. That's where the infection established itself before it spread. I won't bore you with the history of it, but trust me when I say that it's true. Long note from anonymous here. We'll see how much we can get to. But it's absolutely fantastic, and now we thank you for it. It's spring break, so I'm listening in real time. Everything you too are saying about education is one hundred percent accurate, and you may even be underplaying it a.
Speaker 1: Bit aka under egging the pudding. Appreciate this sense humor.
Speaker 2: I'm closing in on twenty five years in the classroom, and I have seen the decline happen in real time. Most of us could see it coming as policies were being implemented but were powerless as the Unions, government and education schools have created an unholy alliance of far left training grounds in our public charter and in some cases private schools. Yeah, we're aware of that. Some of those high dollar schools in Manhattan or are as insane as anybody. These policies were implemented behind the buzzwords equity, inclusion, belonging.
Speaker 1: We're all aware of that.
Speaker 2: Have acted as a trojan horse into the mainstream of public education. I can even nail down two points in time when the changes started. Older teachers may have conflicting timelines, but the first was in two thousand and seven when our superintendent at the time decraded that there would be no more f's as grades and no more suspensions from school. That was prime Obama philosophy time. That's when that philosophy that he espoused started to take hold in schools, before he was pushing it audibly anyway. The next major change was spring of twenty sixteen, when our professional development began focusing on pronouns and seeing everything through the lens of race rather than teaching practices.
Speaker 1: That's phenon in FUCO and critical theory.
Speaker 2: UH do because the way you wake up quote unquote, as the Marxists would say, the races to unite and throw off the change of capitalism in Western civilization is you've got to convince them they're oppressed, even if they have good lives. Hence seeing everything through the lens of race. Right back to the email. All of this was set up around the goal of no dropouts and one hundred percent graduation rate. As you two have pointed out, many times bunch of measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure. These two major shifts and resulting goals have acted under as umbrellas under which a myriad of changes have occurred. I'm throwing this together off the cuff, but I could literally write a book about this topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and, as he points out, no dropouts, one hundred percent graduation sounds wonderful unless you throw away all of your standards to get there. Right back to the email, what happened next was a slow burn, but to no one's surprised. Once students figured out there were no consequences for anything, behavior gradually became worse in grades plummeted. Once the grades plummeted, administrators began pressuring teachers to inflate grades, not just f's to d's, but fs to at least c's are better. If you pushed back, life could get real uncomfortable very quickly. If you really dig your heels in, a counselor or admin will just change the grade, and now you're seen as a troublemaker. If building principle went against these policies, they were either moved or nudge toward retirement. District administrators were subject to gatekeeping regarding their beliefs, meeting decision makers who matter. We're all soon on the same page. That's the DEI. DEI doesn't mean diversity, equity and inclusion. All it means is more neomarxists. And do you notice how is never a black conservative, for instance, who is included in the eye of inclusion?
Speaker 1: Never? Never, never.
Speaker 2: Some of my colleagues enthusiastically jumped on board well. Others went along just to get along. Some of us complained under our breath, but decided to try our best. Is still teach our butts off every day and do what's best for students. It worked for a while, but it's caught up to us now. All the veteran teachers I know with more than twenty years of experience are tired, beaten down, and miserable. Those close enough to retirement are lucky, but many, like myself, are too far away from the end to take solace in knowing we'll just have to make it another year or two. It's like swimming across a river when you're too far away from shore to get to the other side, and too far away to go turn back. Here's what I'm seeing every day that most people don't understand. I teachap classes with upper grades of high school. These are kids who are applying to in and often cases getting into good universities. Most of my students are nice, polite kids who mean well. In some cases, they are eager to learn, but they haven't been conditioned how to be students in the sense that their attention spans are very short and they don't process information well. Some people may take issue with the term conditioning, but there are parameters of behaviors and skills people are expected to work within in any given situation. Some may call it professionalism in the workplace, as no job allows you to behave like you, do like you and only do the tasks you feel like doing. Okay, we don't even do that in our own homes, feeding ourselves and doing laundry or required. Students are allowed to show up to whatever class, whenever, say whatever, and do whatever they please. The students with self discipline stand out. While most students don't complete assignments and have no idea what it looks like to study. They fall apart if subjects get difficult and it's almost impossible to approach a nuanced discussion around a controversial topic. Students no emotion and feeling. But that's about it. Education has never been perfect. I didn't get the greatest high school education. But kids are getting screwed now between low skill level and an increasing inability to think, we are dooming these young people to a difficult future. We got here via many of the policies you too have talked about on your show. Equitable grading practice is requiring a fifty percent grade for a missing assignment rather than a zero. Every examine. Assignment is allowed to be taken over and over again. Restorative practices and conversations when students break the rules. There is a very good chance your child is sitting in a classroom with another student who everyone knows is committed a violent crime at school, and they still get to be in school. Kids will sometimes take honors or advanced classes way above their skill level so they can be in a safe environment. Funding is going to administration rather than into the classroom, where more staff and materials are needed. Teachers often have to spend a ton of time cobbling together material and curriculum to survive the disciplinary tasks, writing referrals and calling home to an unanswered phone. Those things take a back seat. This is just scratching the surface of issues. Like I said, I could write a book. Public education is salvageable, but it's going to take an army of dedicated parents, teachers, legislation, and community members, and it's going to be a fight, requiring years of patients and hard work. First, and most immediate for parents, help us out with the phones. No kid in elementary school needs a smartphone. I may even suggest no kid under the age of sixteen needs one. It's only necessary now because we've allowed it. And then he says, I get it. I understand why people have them, but we've got to stop. Second, pay attention to who is on your school board. This is the most important elected position in your life right now. The activist groups are pouring truckloads of money into school board races because they are vital, and no one pays attention. Go to meetings, listen to what they say. Your school board member impacts your way of life more than Trump or AOC. It's not politically sexy, but make it that way. Pay attention to who is getting the admin jobs. Never vote for a school board candidate who is an activist. Never vote for a candidate who is a union member teacher in another district. Never vote for someone who has crazy crap in their social media. Never vote for a candidate who uses any of the DEI buzzwords, even if they don't know what they mean. If there is only one candidate on the ballot and they fit one of these categories, run against them yourself and make them publicly take a stand on grading behavior and where the money should go. Also feel free to stay away from crazy people on the right as well. And you lists some same ghost for a city council, But the school board thing is incredibly important.
Speaker 1: It goes on for several more paragraphs.
Speaker 2: It's beautifully written, mister anonymous, thank you so much for taking the time.
Speaker 1: We're going to check in with Jack.
Speaker 2: Any reaction to that drop is a note mail bag at Armstrong gamgetty dot com.
Speaker 5: The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that prices for nearly everything rose by nine tenths of one percent between February and March, and three point three percent from last March to this with Iran closing down a crucial supply channel for oil. Gasoline was a major driver of last month's increasing consumer prices. Energy costs are up twelve and a half percent in the past thirteen months.
Speaker 2: When energy goes up, everything goes up up. Is it a trend or a blip? Nobody knows. Please welcome the co host of the show to the show live from the Heartland, Salana, Kansas, not Selena, not Selena's Salina, Kansas.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong, Hello, Jack.
Speaker 6: You know so in places up three point three percent. What are people saying about that? That's the most in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's all Gulf related. Yeah, I ain't good. That's not good.
Speaker 6: I was just reading an interesting thing about, uh, how difficult it is for the Secret Service guarantee the security of JD vans over there in Pakistan doing negotiating because that government is very shaky in terms of their ability to control things. So, uh, Islam as fundamentalist nut jobs could make it very dangerous for our legotiating team to be there.
Speaker 2: And the government plays foot seat with various radical groups just to keep them from taking out the government.
Speaker 1: Boy, that'd be a he kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Suddenly, something to keep a person's eye.
Speaker 1: Tell you today, it's been great fun.
Speaker 2: We had a hell of a nice conversation with Greg lukianoff from Fire and I read and I'm sorry you missed this. I read a couple of emails from educators reacting to our segment on America's sliding into illiteracy, worst decade in American education from The Atlantic.
Speaker 1: Powerful stuff. I will just tell you this.
Speaker 2: Everybody said one hundred percent right, and you guys may have underplayed it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, wow, up.
Speaker 6: Against a pretty powerful force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but near once. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the teachers' unions and the teachers colleges which are radical left and uh and uh and government too. But one thing, one thing that several emails had in common, including the one I'm holding in my hand, is calling out the parents.
Speaker 1: Where are the parents?
Speaker 2: Know what's being taught, Know your teacher, Go to school board meetings, figure out who running, and vote accordingly.
Speaker 1: Don't vote for activists.
Speaker 2: They're all crazy, they're well, they're Marxists, or they're well meaning softtheads who don't realize.
Speaker 1: They're doing the works the work of the Marxists. Anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it seems like the whole country, or half the country anyway, to sleep the switch on the whole public education thing. For many decades now, just assuming that it would be, you know, just cruise along the way it was years ago.
Speaker 1: But clearly enough case.
Speaker 2: Are you going to get a cozy berger as a gesture and support of free speech?
Speaker 1: We were talking about that yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is gotten national attention and a number of major litigation groups who fight for free speech or fighting for the freedom of this burger place to have a mural on its side.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you short.
Speaker 6: Answer the questions, yes, I'm going to get a cozy Burger?
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent. What else is on your mind news wise this morning? Anything in particular? Are you just doing the family thing?
Speaker 6: I'm just doing the family thing, really and realizing what it's like to live the way most people probably do. They don't, you know, pay attention to the news on a twenty four hour news cycle, and surely not on your mind that much. Yeah, in in the airport yesterday and hang out on planes and you know, nobody's talking about the news of the day at all.
Speaker 2: Right, was Traffle not a nightmare? Because if it's not a nightmare, you've won the lottery.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 6: It couldn't have been easier. Nothing was crowded anywhere, and no delays of any kind or anything like that.
Speaker 2: So we're joking that this segment would be a little short, and I was going to bump you like a guest who didn't quite get on the tonight's show. But we'll read books, Jack Armstrong, Sorry we couldn't get to you, but boy, what a show we had.
Speaker 1: Blah blah.
Speaker 2: Mike Lyons is coming up next segment. We're going to figure out what's going on. We're going to figure out what's going on in the Gulf.
Speaker 1: No we're not.
Speaker 2: We're going to try to figure out any aspect of what's going on right now and comprehend it.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to figure out how to listen to that because I'm pretty interested in myself.
Speaker 2: All right, go enjoy the family and beautiful Salina and tell the town I miss it, and thanks for launching our careers.
Speaker 6: Talk to you like myself to the cozy Berger.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, ship me a bag of them before you do. All right, much more to come. If you can't stick around, grab the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: If Iran wants to let this negotiation fall apart. In a conflict where they were getting hammered over Lebanon, which has nothing to do with them, and which the United States never once said was part of the ceasefire. That's ultimately their choice. We think that would be dumb, but that's their choice.
Speaker 2: The dizzying situation in the golf and straysa herle mooz, the US, Iran, Israel, Lebanon and all the players. Let's dive right into it with military analyst Mike Lyons. Mike, welcome, how.
Speaker 1: Are you today?
Speaker 8: And Jo Great to be back with you.
Speaker 1: Great, always good to have you.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think both of us have probably read about studied various peace agreements through history and how some of them were a bit rocky or you know, there are hidden elements that the layman didn't learn about until many years later. But I don't recall anything as wobbly and complicated as this in recent memory.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've never seen sides so far apart. I mean, I guess the fifteen points on our side versus the ten on their side. They are the most maximalist demands you've ever seen coming from Iran or from really any country, basically saying that they could do whatever they want, whenever they want to do it, and they'll do whatever they want to another country whenever they want to do it to them too. So I don't know where this will start, you know, Trump, I think originally the beginning of the week with a lot of his tweets and comments where he's just trying to out crazy the crazy people on some level talking to the Iranians and language they understand. I'm just not sure they understand any language. I'm just not sure this is going to go anywhere. They just don't have a history of negotiating anything, any you know, giving in on anything on whatsoever. I think the Obama administration was completely you know, taken to the woodshed by these guys, and they're going to try. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: So is that line of thought leading to the conclusion that the only thing we can do is so reduce their capabilities that the intransigent maniacs that run around just won't be as dangerous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's really where we are. We're back to a containment foreign policy. If we can't you get some kind of resolution within the next fourteen days, I don't think it's going to take fourteen days. I think we're going to draw this conclusion that they're not going to give in on anything before that. The Vice President's comment about this being linked to Hezela is exactly the point. I mean, Israel has its own security concerns, and you know the fact that the country with nine million people still punching up against the country with ninety million and doing pretty well. You know, there's a lot of other potential solutions there. The French could get involved with Lebanon and help the Lebanese government disarm Hesbela.
Speaker 1: That's there.
Speaker 8: I mean, think about Hesbela. It's kind of like a cancer or kind of you know that that infected US country for so many years, and and and the the civilians and the government does nothing about it. Well, the French, which was what, you know, their influence was there, if they'd like to get in the game, they could, They could possibly help the Lebanese government do that has blows never been any weaker. But they don't have the military. They don't really choose to do anything. They just continue to send virtual signaling statements some from Paris and and hope the United States continues to get the job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw the quote from Norman Schwartzkop recently that I love that going into battle without the French is like going hunting without an accordion.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, he yeah, you know again these countries, their perception of their strength and reality versus the actual reality of it real politic is just you know again the Grand Canyon, it's iss. Why does this un or on debate right now? And so in the UK is the same way. I mean, there's there's going to be real consequences over their actions within the NATO alliance. You know, the NATO Alliance is not going away. I think that it's going to be strong to have. But there again, their perception of their reality and their actual strength that remains to be seeing. Look, the French have nuclear weapons though, that's the other thing to this. I mean, so they can decide to maybe back off and that men then control Spain, but the Germans don't. The Germans, we don't want them to have nuclear weapons. We don't know. There's there's other issues about that nuclear non proliferation that we want to keep and that's one of the things that ties NATO together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to feature a little bit later on the show an absolutely terrific piece of writing. I came across by a woman who's an author and commentator and thinker on this sort of issue, and the piece is entitled why the West won't call this a Holy war? And I'm thinking about Hesbelah in Lebanon, which, if people aren't familiar, it's a it's a heavily armed political party that's also an army.
Speaker 1: If you can picture the insanity.
Speaker 2: That Israel quote unquote coming to an agreement and a peace agreement with Hesbela at this point, that just that's fantas a sea land, isn't it, especially from the Israeli perspective.
Speaker 8: Exactly, this is not you know, the ira that years ago decided to put its arms down to become part of the political process, joined the current government there and had a representative and the like. But this is not this is this is a fight for survival on their side. This is die to the death.
Speaker 1: This is there.
Speaker 8: This is how they operate, and it's you know, similar to what happened in the Second World War in terms of how how badly you know those countries at the time looked Japan. Japan had a tremendous tactical victory in December seventh, but look where that ended up leading to it ended up being to the fundamental demise of their country back back then. And and I think that's the same historical analogy taking place right now. The the Arab nation or the you know, the the terrorist organizations has Blahamas and Iran has this great tactical victory on October seventh, few years back then, but it's going to lead to their downfall for sure.
Speaker 2: I certainly hope it does. More on that to come. We're talking to military analysts and Mike Lions. So Mike, let's say, get down to brass tacks. Is there any opening the straits of or moves without the consent of whoever is running Iran?
Speaker 8: Doesn't look like it looks like the IRGC still controls it because the threat is still coming from a military perspective. It's those coastline batteries that could potentially fire on a container vessel or a ship that's going there, and ballistic missiles. There's still minds there. We could we could use the help of the British and other data countries that have some capability with some of their mind sweeping and then also some of the asymmetrical fast boating that takes place, and so no insurance company is still going to get involved right now. So I think I think the next military mission is going to be looking for the Navy to really force that issue and protect carriers and protect protect the container ships going through there. You're going to see possibly a step up escort mission. I know the Navy's been hesitant to do that from ICE sources, but I think that's what the President's going to ask the Navy soon to do.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, it changed topics completely. Another really interesting piece of journalism I came across was a gal whose name I don't recall, but she was embedded with the NATO troops as they were doing drone training in Estonia.
Speaker 1: I think it was last week.
Speaker 2: And that's obviously a fascinating topic, and it was David Petraeus was over there at least commenting on it, and he said, look, you need to understand this is changing the face of warfare completely.
Speaker 1: How do you think.
Speaker 2: We're doing on that learning curve the United States and our allies.
Speaker 8: Well, we're hanging on to it. We're watching closely and we try to import some of that technology into what we're doing. I mean, you saw for example, the fact that we're locating this pilot using some heart murmur technology that can pick him out forty miles away based on AI.
Speaker 1: So was that right? I hadn't heard that. Yeah, to ask more about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I mean again, with these kind of conflicts, all this technology comes off the shelf, and this technology was able to find him, help locate him using AI by it is heart rate by his heart marble and so yeah, I mean so again this and so now bring that same mentality. Ukraine gets up every day and figures out how it's going to survive. So they have to figure out how to close the kill chain right this time and distance between when they know there's a target and when they can kill the target. And what they've done is just phenomenal. They're industrial military complex in terms of building the drone technology, the software, the implement in it, and then once it's uh faces off to the enemy and they see the reaction to it, changing the software so it becomes more survivable. Ukraine has been incredible in terms of that that kill chain from a military's perspective in helping them survive and it's it's definitely the future of warfare.
Speaker 1: And you would know this a lot better than I would.
Speaker 2: I've told the procurement process has in the past been well, it can make a person insane, whereas now you know it's got to be If I need a certain drill bit, I run to the store. I've got that drill bit in twenty minutes. Now that's not practical. But what about that topic and how we need to change your procurement give.
Speaker 8: You a shameless self promotion. A couple of months ago, I wrote an article for Real Clear Defense on the new systems, the new playbook in order to succeed in doing that if you're a startup innovative company, because Pete Haxsett has changed that. He's changed the entire process of how you can bring this lethality to the war fighters. And it's all about taking things commercially off the shelf and getting them quickly to the hands of the war fighters. Innovation centers like Softworks in Tampa, Florida, working with special operators and again shrinking that that this this distance in time between when when they need something and ten well actually shows up on the battlefield. So I urge your listeners to go take a look at that article. If they if they're doing an innovative startup company and help them to get to get to do government work, because that's what this is all about. They're trying to break that cycle of these long acquisitions. It's called the value of death when you have a good idea and it dies in between what you get funding for it. This, this Trump administration is trying to do that, and I think that's a that's a really good move.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thingly enough, my brother is in that very line of work. Mike, send us a link to that article. Why don't we we post it so everybody can can flock to it and read it.
Speaker 8: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Military analyst Mike Lions Mike, as always, we appreciate the thoughts and the wisdom. Great to talk to you, and have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you.
Speaker 2: To have a great one, all right, thanks thanks. Uh Yeah, where this goes? Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Maybe I lack imagination, but I'm using my feeble brain power such as it is, to try to figure out how we get from this side is on is saying these things and demanding these things, and this side is you know, got its own set of demands and they are utterly incompatible. Uh, the Iranian regime is completely intransigent. They're either religious fanatics or dead enders because they will be, as Jack likes to put it, hung upside down in the town square as the end of their days. If they don't hold on to power. There's there's gonna be no saying, hey, I said some harsh things. You said some harsh things. I tortured dissidents. You know, we all make mistakes. You can have power now. No, these people are gonna be killed, so they are dead enders. On a lighter note, we all love our dogs, don't we, and rough Greens could be a great thing for your pop as it ages. Rough Greens is not a new dog food. It supplements your dog's diet, which I assume is already pretty good because you carry about your pet right. Supplements the diet with natural antioxidants and anti inflammatory compounds that help produce oxidative stress. Look it up, support immune defense and slow age related decline, helping dogs stay active, mobile, and alert as they age. And in short, it promotes the longevity by addressing common nutritional deficiencies found in processed dog food. So don't change your dog's food, just add rough Greens. Rough Greens is offering a free Jumpstart trial bag. You just cover the shipping. Use the discount code Armstrong to claim your free Jumpstart Trial bag at rough greens dot com. That's our uffgreens dot com. Use that promo code armstrong one more time are uff Greensroughgreens dot com Use promo code armstrong. So you don't change your dog's food. Just add rough Greens and watch the health benefits come alive. Got a couple of things I want to shoehorn into the next segment, including one of the best examples I've ever heard, straight out of her own mouth, of the way liberal Supreme Court justices think and the difference between that way of thinking and a conservative justice thinking.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Plus, Katie Broughts is the headline an hour or so ago, an hour and a half ago about if you're not doing well on dating sites, it might be because of your quote unquote digital body language. I've got to known, I gotta know what that is. I know less about dating websites than astrophysics other than you know just what I've heard and read, so I can't wait to hear this, among other things.
Speaker 3: Oh and I'll let you know. And it's it's shortened to the DBL.
Speaker 2: There, Joe, Digital body language is DBL the DBL.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, is it a trend? Are we going to talk about a trend?
Speaker 2: No, the word trend is not in this article. I promise trend is not trending. That's interesting. Makes you stop and think?
Speaker 1: All right? That he more? Oh, you know what I ought to tell you is next hour?
Speaker 2: Really looking forward to a conversation with Tim Sandefer about his brand new book about the Declaration of Independence.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that, So hang around if you can back in moments.
Speaker 2: How's your DBL? Check your DBL talk about that in a second. First, this though, this is so interesting. So Justice Soda Mayor, one of the liberals who famously said in a speech that she hoped a wise Latina woman would produce better at judicial outcomes than white males who haven't lived that life. She was given a speech at the University of Kansas the other day and she's talking about a court decision last year related to the reasonable suspicious suspicion that federal agents need to question someone because they think they might be an illegal immigrant. And she said, I had a colleague in that case who wrote, you know these are only temporary stops. And she was referring to Brett Kavanaugh. Okay, so she's I'll just tell you what she said next. This is from a man whose parents were professionals and probably doesn't really know any person who works by the hour. Even if somebody stop by immigration gets released quote those hours they took away, nobody's paying for that person. And that makes a difference between a meal for him and his kids that night and maybe just cold supper, which is, you know, empathetic and true. But what does that have to do with the law. Federal judge ordered immigration agents not to form reasonable suspicion.
Speaker 1: Based on any combination of.
Speaker 2: Four factors that they go into, but the Supreme Court stayed that injunction, and Kavanaugh explained, under this Court's precedence not to mention common sense, those circumstances taken together can constitute at least reasonable suspicion of illegal presence to be clear apparent, ethnicity alone cannot furnish reasonable suspicion.
Speaker 1: It needs to be four of these factors.
Speaker 2: Sodomoor dissented and was joined by two other liberals. Blah blah blah. She said, that's not good enough. We can't live in a country where the government can seize anyone who looks Latino, speak Spanish, or appears to work at a low wage job, which is a little overheated, as they point out, But as they point out in this article, that was overheated, and this week the Justice underscored how much your jurisprudence is based on identity and political results, not law and president. To spell that out for you, there would have to be a different standard for hourly workers than professionals, in her opinion, and that a profession a judge who has a professional background, can't decide the case for working class people. There can't be equal treatment under the law because of the differences in those two sets of people's lives.
Speaker 1: So she doesn't like the results.
Speaker 2: She doesn't like the right result for certain individuals, so she's like, this can't be a law, and Kavanaugh's like, no, no, everybody's got to be equal in the eyes of the law. So if equality equals something Sodomayor doesn't like, she says, well, we're not going to have equality under the law. Then that's a results oriented liberal justice as opposed to a law and president oriented justice.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, Katie, what's that headline you hit us with?
Speaker 9: The headline is struggling with dating apps? It might be your digital body language?
Speaker 1: All right, help us out. What's the DBL?
Speaker 3: Okay, the DBL.
Speaker 9: The article states, before texting and dating apps, the only body language the daters really had to worry about was their real life interactions. But now experts say body language involves much more with your digital body language and the way you come off through messaging.
Speaker 3: I love this Logan.
Speaker 9: Uri, who is the director of relationship Science for the dating app Hinge, says the DBL involves the nonverbal subtext of online conversation. Think emojis, punctuation, word choice, length of messages, and how quickly you do or do not respond.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Punctuation and word choice.
Speaker 9: Absolutely totally lost interest in a guy because he didn't know they're there and there and didn't capitalize his words.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I hate no capitals too. People don't understand the conventions of language. Written language exists, so it's readable. Yeah, it's not because we're picky. It's because people write us emails that are like twenty seven lines of type, no paragraph breaks.
Speaker 1: It's nearly impossible to read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes a different O cult.
Speaker 9: So he continues on saying, on a date, you can read somebody's body language to figure out if they're into you. But when you're still in the texting phase, daters rely on the DBL to read between the lines to show someone how you're feeling.
Speaker 3: It's about how long you take to.
Speaker 9: Reply, whether you put any effort into your messages or not, if you ask questions and initiate, or you just react to what they're saying, all of that creates a subtext, and that subtext is what people are using to figure out how interested and invested you are in them.
Speaker 1: This is not bull cramp m M. It's not.
Speaker 3: So it just kind of goes.
Speaker 9: It stays along that line of you know, it has a lot to do with the effort that you put into your messages, meaning you know, you could send just okay or okay and say a couple more words to make it seem like you're taking more time for them.
Speaker 2: By the way, somewhat related, I have a couple of friends now who have embraced don't text, call.
Speaker 1: Or text and say hey, we need to catch up.
Speaker 2: You got a couple of minutes because they've realized that the text only staying in touch quote unquote is just not nourishing in the same way that a conversation is. Yeah, and I should be a leader on that, and I'm not. I've kind of been a follower.
Speaker 9: But I responded to a myst call via text yesterday. Oh I just didn't have it in me, man. I knew it was going to be a thirty minute phone call.
Speaker 2: Oh well, a special exemption for that one, all right, Stay tuned Tim Sander for next hour.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty