Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iheartradiooo oo. Hello, I'm Leanna Holston and I'm Sienna Jacob.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the Very Slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary Edition, and are now shimmying our way down a list of films directed by women.
Speaker 1: Oh ooh. This podcast is a safe gym for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching stick It.
Speaker 2: If you like falling, then gymnastics peace or for you you get to fall on your face, your ass, your back.
Speaker 1: And your pride.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Nothing else to say about that one. I don't know who put it on here. It's directed by a woman.
Speaker 2: That would have been me, Thank you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guess if it wasn't me, it was probably you. Warning there will be spoilers about this Limber two thousand's film.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, Ciena, may I please play you my prediction? I would like for the film stick It?
Speaker 1: Your prediction?
Speaker 2: Okay, Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I am about to watch stick It, the two thousand and seven hit film. I don't even know if that's what year it's from. But it's got two seven energy. I've seen this from me so many times because every time it was on TV and I was sitting on the couch in my parents' house, I would watch it. Ah, with a full bag of hint of lime chips. I love this. I predict a bad ass energy. And if you're gonna eat Matt, you eat Matt hard and anything to get out of this tar that's leotard without the leo. In case you were wondering, I'm gonna have fun and good for me.
Speaker 1: Love you, okay, love this. First of all, I had no idea you were into the hint of lime chips for that long in your life.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes, it's most of what I've eaten. I think my body is like arguably two percent tostitos hint of lime.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a hint of lime about me?
Speaker 1: A brand ambassador and uh well that's so exciting. So you're you've seen it many times? Yeah, great quotes, great quoting.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, thank you well, Leanna. My prediction forced.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hi, Leanna, this is Ciena. I'm about watch stick it. I can only assume this is a cheerleading movie question mark, Oh my god, is it in my mind?
Speaker 1: That means it's from the two thousands, But is it more recent?
Speaker 2: Question mark? I can't wait to find out.
Speaker 1: I Love you goodbye. Okay. So I assumed it was part of this this world of cheerleading and athlete movies, but I'd never seen one before.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god. I told a friend that I was watching it, and she said, oh, is it like Bring It On? And I was like, I have no idea. I've never seen Bring It On? And she was like, me, neither. And then it turned out it's it's from the same people who made Bring It On.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. This seems like it's the first of the world of that I've heard of that I remember being I think you said these were on TV a lot. I remember them being on TV a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Remember ever watching them. Well, Theanna before we get into the movie, Hey.
Speaker 2: Girl, Hey girl, oh girl, I've had such an afternoon.
Speaker 1: Oh tell me about it.
Speaker 2: I had to mail another laptop. What for my day job today? Do you have to mail laptops office? This has now happened three times. I go to the post office. I say, hello, I need to mail a laptop. They say what. I say, a laptop please to a different country and they say, oh my god. I say is it allowed and they say I have to look it up. Yes it is okay. Well, I feel like we could have relaxed our energy up top.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why do you have to send these laptops? Does it have now?
Speaker 2: No, we have employees in other countries and it is more cost effective to ship them laptops that we have at our office that are not being used then to get new laptops.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And today was no different. Today. I went I said hello, I need to ship a laptop to India and they said what I said, listen And then they said, oh, you're going to need a box and I said, well yeah, And the frazzled man ran around the post office looking for specifically a box. He was like, I just saw it. Where was it?
Speaker 1: I just saw a box.
Speaker 2: I just saw.
Speaker 1: Over there.
Speaker 2: And he came back and then he gave me a roll of bubble wrap. He was like, you're going to have to buy this. I said, okay, it's not my AMEX, not my problem. And then he had to ask a colleague of his Can I can this laptop? Can you ship laptops to India? And the colleague was like, oh, you have to check with each country. And I had googled it yesterday and India was like, yeah, sure, send a laptop over, we don't care. But he sat down at his post office desk and looked it up for like ten seconds and said, oh, you cannot ship this what? And I said okay? So I left the post office with a free box slang. I went to the library to drop off and then pick up a book. I got a lot of emails from our property manager about our lease and felt really overwhelmed. And then I went and I bought myself a small and overpriced cake.
Speaker 1: Love it?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the and that was my afternoon. So I came home with more many more items than I thought I was going to because I left my home. I left my home with a laptop and a book. I returned home with a laptop in a box, a different book, and a box with a cake in it. I was very sweaty and upset, and there were so many small bugs on me. What well, I was really sweaty and it's like a really hot day and I walked through a lot. I got lost. I get lost in my own neighborhood all the time. I don't know where I am, and I always end up in this rock garden. Hum, there's this long rock garden in my neighborhood, and it's somehow my feet. I think my feet are taking me to a road, and I end up in a rock garden.
Speaker 1: So it's not even that you're trying to walk through it as a shortcut. You're trying to get home, and then you go, oh, no, damn, I'm at the rock gardens.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: These are rocks.
Speaker 2: That's my my most recent update. Objectively unsuccessful. But it wasn't your venture. Really, you know, it'll it'll just have to wait till next week and we'll try again a different way, and I don't think it'll work, and who cares. Fantastic Here you go, hey.
Speaker 1: Girl, Hey girl. Well I also got law yesterday. Oh because I went I said I'm going to go on a date with my boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: First second, I was like, with who it sounds really what? It sounds like, I'm just preparing to openly cheat to say I'm.
Speaker 2: Going on a date, bye, sweetie, I'm going on.
Speaker 4: A date.
Speaker 1: Called me back after my date what But we went to a mall that's sort of near him, and I I guess I've been there once. My phone just did a thumbs up, even though I didn't even know I even had.
Speaker 2: A thumb on the screen, not even in frame.
Speaker 1: We went to a theater near him that I've been to before. Didn't worry me to go to a new theater. I mean, I guess it's not new since I've been one time, but I don't have I didn't have any space in my memory for going to this theater before. It just became one of those situations that everything became one hundred times more stressful than it needed to be, don't I don't mind. I'm not pressed about getting to a movie like right on time because there's trailers. But it was just like, okay, I'll turn in here. There was a sign that said like theater parking and you turn and then as you drive like around a block and go into another parking lot, I was like, how is this The theater is back there? Why would you make me go here? I'm leaving, So the theater is exactly so the theater is like as far as possible from the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know where I was and it said it was on another floor, but I couldn't see any other floors. I'm like, there's only one floor, because apparently that other floor was at the end of this floor. There was a set of escalators, but I had to walk all the way first. But I was just looking at the map, like, how am I supposed to get to level two when I can't even see any levels above me right now?
Speaker 2: I'm on the ground floor.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I ended up getting there, and then I saw Sinners and I will can you spoil anything about it except for that feeling stressed? Well, going into a movie like that, Oh, I was just so stressed. Oh god, so it was kind of failed.
Speaker 2: Damn, I get that. I think one of one of the most scared I've ever been times in my life. I really couldn't figure out how to word that sentence, but I understood. I don't think there's a way to do it better. I think that's it. One of the times in which I was the most scared I've ever been in my life was in the parking garage of the Westfield Century City Mall, trying to get into their movie theater from my car, and I kept being in different elevators. Have been multiple times, and every time I've not managed to find the same elevator as before. I also know that there's a part of the parking garage that's really close to the movie theater, and I've never found it from within my car. Yes, yes, And then leaving the movie theater and having to find your car. It's impossible to be asked that mall. It's impossible to leave that mall. Oh.
Speaker 1: I It's like a stress stream, it really. It was so yesterday I was like, I can't do this. I almost scream oh. And I ended up calling Kelsey. I was like, I don't know where I am that. The ironic thing is that Kelsey has this like insane sense of geography. He's one of those people who can just be like, oh, I remember where we parked, and walk us all the way there, even if he's never been to the place before. Like part of this is that he was like, wait, you couldn't find it, but we've been before. And I'm like, I don't form a mental map of every space I've ever been in. I have no memory. I don't I can imagine being in the theater. But other than that, I have no I've never seen this place in my whole life. And he was like, well, up the escalators and I'm like, escalators, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Escalators? What escalators could you possibly be talking about? But yeah, but we've been here before. Can absolutely suck my ass. It's a phrase when it comes.
Speaker 1: To that means nothing. On the bright side, I ate some delicious chocolate popcorn combo, so that was good. I love to mix the candies so that I was really like chowned down.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, yeah, you'd have to after a stressful afternoon.
Speaker 1: Well should we talk about the movie?
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of feeling like you can't do this? Uh huh, Sienna, could you please give a synopsis of the movie stick It?
Speaker 1: Yes, I will do that for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's like we're on a It's like I'm on a call with representative.
Speaker 1: Representative.
Speaker 2: I can look into that for you.
Speaker 1: Look into that, Okay, stick It. Haley is an athletic skater type who has a kerfuffle with the law and his sense it and is sentenced to a hardcore gymnastics program out of state. Turns out she used to do gymnastics but famously quote choked at worlds On. She begrudgingly returns to the gymnastics world and ends up shaking things up, inspiring her uh, inspiring her teammates, watching her own practice sharpen, and pushing back on antiquated judging standards. It is a fun athletic romp.
Speaker 2: The end, yay, yay, Oh, I can't wait any longer. Cianna, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 1: This movie was lit lit when it started. I was like, Okay, I'm gonna be entering somebody else's world. This is like the whole bring it on world, and we'll see. I cannot believe the things that these women were doing. It was amazing movie.
Speaker 2: So the story was so good.
Speaker 1: They were amazing at raising the stakes in another movie. If they kept having championships like this and challenges, I would have been would have been like, Okay, let's wrap it up. They were doing an amazing job. And it's so two thousands, laughably so, but then also very fun. There's time to turn around, and they're all such good friends and they're supporting each other, and the things that these people were doing with their bodies was insane leaps. Yeah, I loved it. It was I really also made me emotional. Oh my god, I had a great time.
Speaker 2: Oh oh fuck yeah, okay, great, let's get into our phone notes, her phone notes, where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film. Oh my god, I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: Oh boy. Starting off with a name that Nastia.
Speaker 2: How do I say this, Nastia Lucan.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna, your first note is Nastia Lucan is literally in this now that a famous gymnastics person.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How much of the Olympics do you watch?
Speaker 1: Certainly not enough to know people's names, Okay, but here and there, here and there, Like the last Olympics, I caught some. I enjoy it quite a bit. But you know, I would say it's a recent development that I've even been aware they were occurring.
Speaker 2: One of the most ancient events I've never heard of that what they start did where?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Because my family, my family was big into watching.
Speaker 1: The Olympics makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: It was like our religion. Every summer, particularly Athens two thousand and four, every summer and Beijing two thousand and eight. Oh yeah, great point every four years, every summer.
Speaker 1: Olympics.
Speaker 2: We watched some every summer we'd tune into some Olympics because Ben was a swimmer and dad played water polo growing up, so they we really were keeping tabs, particularly on swimming. It was also the era of Michael Phelps. It was an exciting time to be keeping tabs. And the Women's Olympic gymnastics team I think two thousand and eight, Yes, had nasty A Lucan on it, and she was like famously excellent at Bars Bars, the uneven Bars Bars.
Speaker 1: Who was in this or who was she?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: She one of the girls.
Speaker 2: She played herself. Oh, she plays Nastya Lukis and she does and everyone goes, oh, my gosh, I love this movie so much. Okay, Siana, your first note is what is she doing here?
Speaker 1: What is she doing here? Mm hmmm. I just marked that because we entered it was like walking through a vortex of walking through the space time continuum and entering the two thousands. It was the music, the style, the comedy, phones, the cell phones, the comedy being like diva girls, mean girls, the girl is mean and spoiled, is so two thousands?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, swoopy hair on a boy, the ponytails.
Speaker 1: The ponytails in this movie were oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a little thief of hair in the front of a ponytail.
Speaker 1: They looked, they looked amazing.
Speaker 2: I yeah, elaborate ponies. M I'm just huh. I'm just laughing because I saw your later note, which is in my mind, I'm strong like this, Leona, I get it.
Speaker 1: Like watching the things they were doing. Hayley, who is.
Speaker 2: That busy paragram? I love her so much?
Speaker 1: Amazing, wow, Wow, she was really doing these stunts right, like they were all stunt women and the actresses, at.
Speaker 2: Least I know she and the actor who plays Joanne were both actors who got hired for the roles and then they trained, like did gymnastics training for like two months or something before the film, So they aren't doing the actual like flips and routines too much. I think maybe maybe six I don't know. I think the other characters are gymnasts.
Speaker 1: They did a really really good job of faking it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But she was still doing flips and stuff. That's insane. That's just insane. I really like she does that handstand.
Speaker 2: Oh I know.
Speaker 1: Who Anyway, I in my mind, I really am like, I feel like an athletic person. I feel like I'm strong. I really value that, but I don't. I'm not like, what's funny is I worked out maybe right before watching this.
Speaker 2: So I kind of had a pump on. Oh yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was feeling amazing the whole time. And then today I did a bunch of apps. So today my abs or so and I'm like, yeah, I'm so strong, But am I trying lifting anything? I wouldn't be able to. I know that I've tried it.
Speaker 2: They make it all look so easy.
Speaker 1: They make it look so easy. I was watching, like, what if I could do any of this with my body? Now, in my mind, you can do all of this.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you for thinking that. It was quickly discovered at age six that I was way too big for gymnastics. We never could have made it in that world. I was so big. I was just the tallest. I stood out like like a tree in a field of grass is what I looked like. I also remember one of my first social flops happened at gymnastics class where I was saying something and in a combination of my anxiety and perhaps accurate perception, the tie girl I was talking to got visibly bored, and I said, Oh, you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. Oh how old were you six?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. That was the beginning of.
Speaker 2: Really quite something.
Speaker 1: Lifelong self deprecation to come.
Speaker 2: I think so. But now I do stand up where they have to listen to me even if they don't want to. In a lot of ways, stand up comedy is the opposite of gymnastics.
Speaker 1: Tell me more.
Speaker 3: You don't have to.
Speaker 1: Actually, there's you know what's crazy, I don't have to. There's a Seinfeld episode about that. Oh my god, Oh no, yeah, no, it's literally it's stupid. It's like it's like, oh no, thigh is original. The perfect woman is a gymnast sort of, but then she's like, from my country, the perfect man is the comedian or something. Yeah. Ew, that's insane. Yeah, it's a really bad episode.
Speaker 2: Did you just get sentenced to one month's of hard time at a gymnastics academy. You're gonna want to start collecting ice for the ice math. We'll be right back, Sienna. You noted, okay, that was comedy.
Speaker 1: Okay. I first noted that this was going to be comedic when she flops herself when she's like, Okay, I'm gonna do the routine and she.
Speaker 2: Flops her arms all around. Yes, I was like, I noted physical comedy icons, even paragrams.
Speaker 1: I really liked her when it started. I was like, this person is too beautiful to be funny on this screen. There were times really tried to have her like I literally went back and rewatched. They tried to have her make like, uh, goofy ugly faces to stick it to sticket, to stick it to her coach. But her face can't really warp in that way because she's just so beautiful, Like her face is like still and and and cemented in this beautiful So she tried to kind of go like, uh, but it's it looked it just gorgeous. It just looked like she had like art smelled a flower or was being brushed by a spring wind? Did you just get brushed by a spring was trying I was mocking you. So I wasn't trying to so beautiful. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I just assumed this was like an a beautiful athlete. And but that was hilarious. And I was like okay, and I loved her. I ended up loving I loved everybody. Yay, Leonna, you've said this is the only film that's ever made me want to take up running.
Speaker 2: In the way that you, in your mind are strong like this. Yes, yeah, in my mind I can run like she does in this. She makes it look so easy. She's enjoying it. Ah A not a glimmer even of sweat on her, her luscious ponytail flowing behind. Whereas me, every time I do a workout class that's cardio, the instructor comes up to me because my face gets so red and asks are you okay? It happened to day A Mirr four hours ago, a young young man had to ask me if I was okay because I had gone tomatoes own.
Speaker 1: Again. That's insane too, because you are you live in England, Yes, you live in England. Like of all the places where there's supposed to be other people.
Speaker 2: Who like oh, who experience this.
Speaker 1: Who have white faces that become red while working out, it should be in the UK.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I think I wear my emotions on my sleeve in a way that the the English do not. So not only am I beat red, I'm also like visibly downtrodden at the end of a hard workout in a way that others are kind of stiff upper lipping it.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said zodiac sign, bitch.
Speaker 2: I loved that.
Speaker 1: Did they say that?
Speaker 2: They were so many things? There were so many zers I couldn't It was constant, absolutely, one hundred zings hours.
Speaker 1: May I say, I wonder since this is formative for you. There are a lot of puns in this movie. It's extremely punned forward. I mean they're stupid puns. They're like, they're like very two thousands puns. Are you thinking of like when she calls her pariah carry yeah, I mean like mble without applause. Yes, anytime they have a choice they get their default line is like, well we need to think of a pun here. Oh yeah, oh my god, without applause. Why don't you take it like that's ridiculous. It is a very funny film, Geez.
Speaker 2: I think you really are onto something there because I was thinking just in terms of like bisexuality question mark huh. I think this film made an impact, but damn also in terms of never having sex because I am instead making puns. Oh ah.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was also because they were twenty four hour gymnasts, as they said, but I guess they were just like making puns.
Speaker 2: This is a Greek prophecy. You will be bisexual, but you will never get laid because you're always making puns, like Cassandra from from Troy, where she would know the future but no one would ever believe her when she told them, Oh, damn it, stick it, damn it have you done to me? And if anybody's like, are you coming out on the pod by now? I don't know, Mom, Dad, I don't know. Listen, I don't know. You'll get an email when I figure it out.
Speaker 1: I did love you. I liked that this movie. Also. I always respect when movies are able to not have like a romance be one of their main oh sort of truths, because that's kind of an any one, but like that's just not what their life was really focused on. So like, yes, the boys are in the periphery kind of, but.
Speaker 2: They should be where they should be keeping there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also loved these guys were like you know boys. I know that it'supposed to because they're twenty four hour athletes, but like that's also so real about high school you know boys, it's called having friends. Okay, Leonna, I need to read some of your notes, you said, Sienna, I really hope you like this movie. I did. It was little.
Speaker 2: I felt a little vulnerable. I didn't realize why watching it. I think this is one of my favorite films.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is a great favorite film. It really was really good. I mean I thought, yes, I thought it would be. I was imagining again the cheerleader vibe that which is, you know, people doing a lot of uh flips and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but being being thrown.
Speaker 1: Mostly being kind of like mean to each other.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't like that at all, no, I know. I also learned so much about the gymnastics world and what's antiquated and like the fans. I also loved the boys who were watching, and they were like, holy shit, this sport is amazing.
Speaker 2: Loved it. I will point Eliza was like this was written by a woman because one of the boys said something that was so oh. When one of the guys was like, she's got you totally whipped man, and the other guy's like, okay, so since when it's been whipped a bad things like ever, and the other guy's like good point, good point was like, okay, a woman did right.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I was like, is it in some ways a fantasy? Of course, but it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Leonna, you've said Academy Award for Way Way. Please?
Speaker 2: Oh did you have any favorite characters? There is pretty obviously a correct answer here.
Speaker 1: Ah, To be honest, I loved them as a unit.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. The correct dancer is way Way.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've only seen it the once. Sure, I did love but Way Way. Oh oh, you mean when she does her whole dance routine on.
Speaker 2: The I mean every moment of hers in the film, but especially her routine on being that was awesome. Oh, oh my god, I'm oh my god.
Speaker 1: There was a moment that really struck me in the film when yes, well.
Speaker 2: It's I shouldn't say it like that time for our segment, a moment that really struck me.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a bad example of there were many many moments that were very emotional for me. This one wasn't emotional. It was more I went what but in a way that I enjoyed, which was do you remember when they have a it's way Way and Mina. Do you remember when they hold like a shot of them for a really long time while they're.
Speaker 2: Thinking, yes, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: It was one of the longest thinking shots I've but it was long enough for me to go, oh, yeah, there was.
Speaker 2: I think that may have been where I wrote down Academy Award for way Way Please really, because I could totally see it being like the director's like, okay, and then we'll just get like a reaction shot of you, like thinking about that information that you've just learned right there.
Speaker 1: It's when there, It's when they are wondering if Hayley actually was sabotaging them instead of trying to encourage them to try more ambitious.
Speaker 2: Ducks, and Wayway just keeps giving amazing reaction faces.
Speaker 1: It was such a long reaction shot, but it was went for long enough that it was like it was gold. It felt like art where I was like, oh my god, I'm going through I'm going through this spectrum of emotions that they're experiencing right now.
Speaker 2: Of I loved it.
Speaker 1: Did my friend really betray me? No, she can't, but it would make sense. Maybe I don't know her as well as I think I did. But was it worth it? I got to try something new?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm being, and it's like taken advantage.
Speaker 2: Of in the edit you think about cutting it short and you're like, unfortunately I cannot, because all of this was gold. This was way too good to cut.
Speaker 1: Directed by a woman. That's all I can say. Oh, Leona, you said, may I accompany you to the jelly beans?
Speaker 2: The seven words every girl wants to hear. We just really love I love that vibe on a person. Yeah, like goofy but polite and kind. Yeah, that's silly. That's so fun that it was fun.
Speaker 1: Like they were just too cute, that dating thing, Like they were both interested in each other. He thought she was cool and was into her bitchy vibe and yeah, and you think.
Speaker 2: I'm a bitch. She like literally would go out with either.
Speaker 1: Of them, but then likes him, and like they both want to go to prom with each other. It's just that was cute. And she gets to go out with a boy. She's like, that's she really wants to try going out with a.
Speaker 2: Boy, and yeah, going to prom. She just wants to go to prom. Actually, I think I'm going to go to prom first. This movie is very, very very good.
Speaker 1: It's very very good. And Lea, you said the biggest demonstration of kunt in history that Haley's performance.
Speaker 2: It's when Haley first scratches vault and she takes out each brastra app ah, oh, I have pumps. I have goosebumps right now.
Speaker 1: Mina's talking amazing. Oh, Mina did an amazing performance.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And she got marked down for having her bra strap out, which nobody even freaking noticed. And everyone's like, are you kidding.
Speaker 2: Doris, She's she's flipping through the air three Doris. Of course her BRA's gonna pop out, Doris, Oh my god, we haven't even mentioned that. That's Jeff Bridges.
Speaker 1: I saw earlier that you said, this is the main thing, you know Jeff Bridges from Yeah, he did great, he did.
Speaker 2: He was I don't think I've seen him in anything else except for that insane movie we had to watch that was on the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, the naked movie.
Speaker 2: The naked movie.
Speaker 1: The film. This is the opposite of No, it wasn't Nashville. I don't even it was the Last Picture Show. Yeah. This movie is not only rebelling against antiquated gymnast judging gymnastics standards, it's also rebelling against all cinema ever because this is justice. The only thing that makes me feel better about those horrible movies that I had to ever look at it and that people still talk about, is that Jeff Bridges ended up being in this movie. Yeah, which is showing you how far yes, these are stakes. They did such a good job at raising the stakes. What what I've just seen your notes.
Speaker 2: I have tried to do a handstand and the splits and I have cried.
Speaker 1: Leona while watching this movie. And we have to remember I had a pump on to begin with, because I have, of course, but there was a moment let's we forget see I had a pump on. I didn't really even process what I was doing, but I had a moment when I realized if any of my roommates came in, I had gone to my couch just to see. I'm like, I want to feel what it feels like to do a handstand, and I knew I couldn't do one, despite my intense core strength, At least as I imagine it, I don't have the capability of doing that. But I sort of stood on the edge of my couch and put one leg up and was trying my darn best to feel like I was doing a handstand because it looked like it felt amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and in your mind you are strong like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, I wonder how close I could do get to doing the splits. Anyway, it really was inspiring to me while watching it. I felt like a child watching a it's so fun a dance routine or something and being like, y, yes, do you.
Speaker 2: Want to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I totally. It made me want to do an across the floor elaborate set of flips, which would kill me.
Speaker 1: Leanna, your final notes are a healthy bit of rebellion. So true. All gymnastics routines should be said to music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that beam routine was everything to that beam routine.
Speaker 1: And then finally you said slay mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And your final note, your final note is stick. It has me bawling.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there in broad daylight, just like, oh my god, so important.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's really. It's also about like the people have the power, like power to the people, like you can overcome a fascist rule if you all stick to, if you band together and rise up.
Speaker 1: It wasn't fair. I may not know how to do the splits. I may not be able to do a handstand. But god damn it, I can take my bra strap out.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Oh my god, I'm so glad to hear it all landed as well.
Speaker 1: Women. It was. It was just really good. They did it really.
Speaker 2: Because it's hard to tell. Like you know, when you've seen a movie a billion times, you like, well, this makes sense to me, because I've seen it a billion times. You never know if it's all gonna make sense. The first time, I felt.
Speaker 1: So welcomed into the gymnast world, like they explained it all very well. It felt like there was a real love for the sport.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I might watch it again tonight.
Speaker 1: We need to do badges and trages because oh shit, I'm just thinking of all the things that.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. Welcome everybody to our segment Badges and Trages, where we award badges for backflips and trages for triple backflips.
Speaker 1: Perfect. My first badge is for all the badass montages. Oh, there were some amazing, extremely fun, extremely unique beautiful montages or birds. I viewed scenes of these women doing all sorts of things with their legs or or it would be a montage like time lap sort of thing of everybody on the team. Are you kidding me? That was so so fun and amazing, amazing, amazing displays of athletic feats.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I have a badge for the visual storytelling, especially the cinematography during that in house match that they have.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I don't think I wouldn't have trusted a man to do this. I'm sorry. There's so many women's body on the screen.
Speaker 2: And they just that's very true.
Speaker 1: Actually when a man puts a camera on a woman's body, he just it just is it wrong. It's gone so wrong. So many are disrespectful. You can just see it.
Speaker 2: That's so true. It really is, like it's a portrayal of athletes. Like even like there's a close up on a woman's butt where she's spraying her leotard to it, and it doesn't feel it's not uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's it's it's women making it and it's uh, it's so respectful of the athletes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Badge for all the puns, very punny. Ye.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for the font, the sort of graffiti ish font yeah in the opening credit. Mm hmm. Badge for dogs are people too?
Speaker 1: Hayley.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I love flying.
Speaker 1: The writing makes no cardioectomy.
Speaker 2: I will have a cardio ofseectomy. Badge for the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, the soundtrack was really fun.
Speaker 2: Oh it just slapped.
Speaker 1: Badge for the athleticism. Are you kidding? You don't get to see this In most movies, you don't get to see this most of the time.
Speaker 2: It is so rare that you get to see this. Oh. A little badge for Greg slash Gary from White Lotus. Hello. Yeah, he was there for like a second, right mm hm he plays her dad and everyone's.
Speaker 1: Like what Hello, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: It was a different time.
Speaker 1: Badge for rooting for the other girls. Yes, yes, I love women supporting women in a real way. They changed They changed the world, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A badge for that running bit of talking over the phone. But you're making a phone out of your hands. It's like mina, right, yeah, tell Joanne blah blah blah, mina put down the phone.
Speaker 1: That is when that is early on when I first became shocked, being like, is this movie gonna be really funny? I didn't expect it to be a comedy film.
Speaker 2: Yes, this might be a perfect film. It really really kind of has everything I want. I guess it's super white, but it's actually it's not that white. It's pretty white.
Speaker 1: It's pretty white.
Speaker 2: Which is also like an indictment of the world of elite athletics, but also especially now, particularly with like Simone Biles Gabby Douglas, like, yeah, we we have seen non white people really slay in the women's gymnastics department.
Speaker 1: I noticed that. I hmm, I noticed that in my trage is sorry, okay, yeah, I'm sorry. It was just so boring. Oh no, no, no, no, no, Badge, that's not true. That's not how I feel, Badge for I actually loved this, the boys being obsessed with the sport. This it being a two thousands movie. I just completely assumed and wasn't thinking much of it that the boys would get there and be like, WHOA, so many hot girls. Hi five. Yeah, but they actually don't do that. The bit about the guys seeing gymnastics is that they kind of came to save Haley and they they're kind of skater guys, and but they got there and they were super invested in the sport because it was so amazing. They were just.
Speaker 2: Amazing metal and they really respect a wipeout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, there was a great.
Speaker 2: Respect, great respect a badge for. I love a we gotta stick together moment in a film, and this one's was when the judge was like a lot of great people had crappy parents. We got to stick together, and I said, they have something to come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that judge was awesome.
Speaker 2: Oh, also just fun that they don't have had the parent trap.
Speaker 1: I always respect when there's like a little character who doesn't do much and they decide to give them like a strong character sort of POV thing. Yeah, like that is writing with care. I know, because if I had to write a thing right now, I wouldn't do that because I would lazy. That's how I know they did a good job, uh badge for As I've said, this movie is so good at raising the stakes in interesting ways. I forget. I think it was once they were scratching and stuff, I'm like, I didn't even know that's where this movie was going. I knew about all of their personal issues that were gonna get resolved. But now the final beat of the movie is them fighting this world together. I didn't predict that.
Speaker 2: Totally, especially with like a sports film. You expect it to end with the big need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was gonna end with a W and we find out different exactly. We find out that she, you know, left worlds because of this emotional stuff, but there was so much more movie left and I was grateful for it, which is so rare.
Speaker 2: My final badge is a badge for I love these judges. The character actors who played all the judges were so funny, I wrote down.
Speaker 1: I wrote that down too earlier. I loved the woman, the woman.
Speaker 2: The woman I loved. Well, there's two the woman with long bangs with the long bang so funny.
Speaker 1: And then the guy who he's the one who in Parks and rec plays the guy who the math guys who remember when Ben keeps going to work at the ex Yes, and they're obsessed with him, the lead nerd.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that guy. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: You're not going to tell me you.
Speaker 1: Such a genius placement of character actors. My final badge is for a movie where the main relationship character is a coach.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually like like a mentor character, Like they didn't have like a best friend who she like was fighting with or a love interest or you know, it was this coach thing, and she didn't. He wasn't necessarily it wasn't like he was like, you're a daughter to me, and so it was just a your father replacement. It was just you know, he's like, I'm proud of you as my mentee.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Anyway, perfection trages. Trag is trage for I'll just say a trage for the two thousands trope of the women hating women thing. They ended up loving each other and so the actual essence of this film was love. So I didn't feel that really coming from the as much as it's a a trage for that being sort of the essence of the time. Yeah, at this time, there was sort of a need to make girls be mean to each other or judge each other or be quote unquote divas you know.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, devo.
Speaker 1: But again, that's not I didn't feel that energetically, spiritually, spiritually, I have a trage for I never understood why her friends couldn't be at the final meat in the film, But I think it's literally just like it was an out of town meet, and I bet there was a scene that they cut that was like, oh, I'm sorry we can't be there, ye, because they don't say why, they're just not Yeah.
Speaker 2: They don't say like I wish my because she has that final narration that's like I wish I had better parents, I wish my friends were here. And whenever I was a kid watching it, I was like, Oh, why aren't her friends there? But I think it's literally like they couldn't take the same bus to where else in Texas? At what the meat was? You know?
Speaker 1: Good point?
Speaker 4: Uh trag for the scene the scene where the boys call, uh, what's your name again?
Speaker 2: Joanne?
Speaker 1: The scene where they called Joanne a bitch is just so confusing. Every line that came after I just kept being like, whoa what ah. The writing of that scene confused me so much. So one boy says to her face, you're a bitch, and it feels.
Speaker 2: He says to his friend in front of her, she's.
Speaker 1: A bitch, Jude, she's a bitch. I don't want to hear about that, miss prissy whatever. So I understand that it was the scene trying to achieve. There's often a scene where a mean character gets their comeuppance, where someone's like, I don't like your attitude, but calling her a bitch wouldn't be as tolerated now and it felt very violent. But fortunately the other boy was like, yeah, I like that you're a bitch, which I kind of like that. He's like, I know what your vibe is and I'm into it. But it was just resolved in a weird It didn't have a lot of feeling of resolution. It was very strange, and she's like, yeah, I could only take away that she maybe wasn't super offended, but it was super disrespectful. It was a very strange scene. It made me feel confused, but I guess when it ended, I was like, oh, okay, they're okay.
Speaker 2: I think that was the most two thousand and six the dialogue was in the film.
Speaker 1: I feel like since it's two thousand and six, that was like that was how they translated, Like this is through their the language of two thousand and six. This was a feminist scene. Yeah, this is them doing their best, Like it's just they didn't have the technology. They didn't have the technology. That's exactly what it felt like, like, you only have you have to use the word bitch.
Speaker 2: And you have to use gay as a punchline.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Also, I was like Yeah, is he gay. That's that's what the other part was.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh cool, he's gay.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: It was so amusing. Yeah, anyway, two thousand and six. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I My final trage is a trage for Unfortunately, any choreography after Wayway's balance beam routine will seem lame. So Hayley's floor routine is the last routine that we see in the movie. And it's, of course, like you've been building up to this the whole film and you want to see this really like badass Hella sleigh floor routine, which it really is with the actual skills that she does the flips et cetera across the floor, But unfortunately the choreo in between I've always found like a little lame. And I still feel that way. She's not a dancer, you know. And again it's that thing of like we now in modern times are c and gymnasts really stray choreo, Like we're seeing people who can actually dance dance. That's so in the bits between the flips, Yeah, and way Way had so she was so good at dancing, she does a full hip hop beam routine, and then this in comparison always seems a little bit like well.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, you're okay. What Way is doing?
Speaker 2: She was like shadow boxing and I was like, that's a good trage.
Speaker 1: My My final trage is for yes, I did notice how white this was. The good thing is is because I notice how white it is because the gymnastics we see these days, there's so many more black women involved.
Speaker 2: True, so there has been yeah, aggression.
Speaker 1: So the trage is probably for the sport itself, and like it's because I didn't even tune into the sport until they've started making this progress. Like I know, it's like this is huge and historic, you know, to have some miles here and to like be like breaking so many records and things like that, and mm hmm, I did. I did notice it when they were some of those montages. I was like, whoa, this is this is a white sport. But yeah, that's yeah, that's the Olympic track.
Speaker 2: And it's also you know totally and.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to a raceway because Waywa was there and slang Waywe was amazing the way for so much.
Speaker 2: I really think she was my favorite. I just I watching it this time around her facial expression, uh huh throughout.
Speaker 1: I love that and Mina, we're besties too, a little like there's like when there's like a little pair in the movie and then later when they're like hanging out of the mall, like they're hanging out with each other and feeding candy to each other because they're besties.
Speaker 2: Besties.
Speaker 1: Yay. Well, shall we move on to our next segment of the podcast, which is, of course, h how to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you.
Speaker 2: Are at the concession stand, at the concession stand, a gymnastics me looking for a new for food. Oh yeah, and coach comes up to you and says you're popping the clutch and you say, so what what?
Speaker 1: Hello? I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm literally here for nachos.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Come on, huss huss control your tricks.
Speaker 1: That's in my softball coach, my terrible softball coach in high school would say instead of hustle, he go.
Speaker 2: Huss huss hussh god, huss huss huss. My dance teacher was always like, help me, help you, which was just her way of saying like be better.
Speaker 1: So coach is saying all this stuff to you, you go no, No, I'm done with that. I'm done with all that. I just want to I'm left that behind.
Speaker 2: I'm not an athlete anymore.
Speaker 1: And in order to Stumpy Coach from screaming at you about this film and other things and your form, here are a few things you can say to pretend that you've seen the film stick It.
Speaker 2: Yes, Coach, I've seen stick It. And unfortunately, I actually can't continue this conversation because I accidentally burned all my leotards last year, so I need not chose.
Speaker 1: I don't know who these people are.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just.
Speaker 1: Weird that it says originally there were two sisters on the team, played by Courtney and Kim heroes.
Speaker 2: Okay, hero say.
Speaker 1: But Kim decided her senior year of high school would be more important, so the sister characters were removed. I wish I knew who those people were, because I love this fact that somebody involved with the taping was like, I actually want to go to high school because.
Speaker 2: That's like the point of the movie.
Speaker 1: That's true, choose your destiny. But I have no idea who that is.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to look them up.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm like, is it a gymnast or an actor. Okay, well, sorry that I can't help. But they took people out of this movie because they were because they decided to go to high school, which is the point. If that's not the moral. If the moral of the story isn't just go to high school, then I don't know what is Yeah? Yeah, yeah, literally, who is that?
Speaker 2: Yes, coach, I've seen. I really think the way that Jeff Bridges says the word proud in that film imprinted on my brain. I think I hear it all the time. But it's something about his small mouth with no lips and kind of a Texan accent and a bit of emotion, so it's a little husky coming out.
Speaker 1: Proud, Proud.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud, pro. I can't even do it. My lips are too luscious. I can't do it proud anyway, Back off, coach, I need my nachos.
Speaker 1: I also don't know who this is, right, is it Carly Patterson? No? John Patrick? Amadori?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's one of the besties. He's the non Kellen Lutt You's the floppy haired guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. In this movie, Haley says she got her ged when she was fifteen. In real life John Patrick Amadori graduated high school at age fifteen. Okay, cool, And then I clicked on him. Okay, I can see that now. I clicked on him to see who that was. And the first thing it says, oh my gosh, yeah, he's the older version of that boy. Now it says that you can soon see him.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yep, he aged aged, but what an old boy.
Speaker 1: When I clicked on him, it says, in twenty twenty four, you can see him starring opposite some of these actresses in the upcoming drama series three Women. Oh, it sounds like a drama series we would come up with, Okay, get this, three winny women? Whoa and it sounds like hell good green light starring with in all these women films.
Speaker 2: Three women. That's way too many. Three women. It's like the men's equivalent of Handmaid's Tale, Like losing all bodily autonomy in the Handmaid's Tale is to women's experience of the world as there being three women.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's so.
Speaker 2: Dystoping at once. No, no coach, stop talking to me about a film. You're gonna hurt yourself. Think about your weness. That was so period piece because everybody learned the word ween around two thousand and six and was having a giggle.
Speaker 1: It was excellent news for four tweens and teens everywhere. Mm hmm, yes, coach, I've seen the film. I have seen the film. Stick it. Uh. Both Haley and Joanne, both actresses were born in Montreal, Okay, Canadians being good at gymnastics. Also, if I fact is that I'm just realizing right now that almost all of Hayley's tricks were either really fast or from the back.
Speaker 2: And that's why I thought.
Speaker 1: I completely thought it was her. I've never been so effectively tricked by a movie. I was very, very effectively. I was living the fantasy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and they did so much training that they really had the bodies of gymnasts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it felt interchangeable when it was them versus a stunt double.
Speaker 1: They really found good.
Speaker 2: That must have been really hard to do. Yeah, because I feel like with a lot of stunt doubles, you're at least wearing pants.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. There's not so much that you have to like match exact need to see every contour and muscle, musculature, makeup.
Speaker 2: Oh, Siena, let's move on. Let's move on to our segment should you watch this or in which we tell you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your training.
Speaker 1: Would I think you should watch it? I actually really thought it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I agree. You actually must watch this film. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It was fun. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Don't speak to me ever again, because you are wrong.
Speaker 1: I felt like I was engaging with my two thousands community as well. Yeah, yeah, well, Leanna, what would you rate the film?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, I would give Sticket five tards. That's Leo Tard without the Leo in case you were wondering. Out of five. I love this movie. It has almost everything anything ever should have. An amazing soundtrack, a badass incredibly hot yeah, and incredibly physically strong woman. Everybody being silly but also supportive, and friends. And it's about fighting fascism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: There's so many colors. I love their leotards at the end with the flames, but they're all in different colors because they're individuals.
Speaker 1: Because they're individuals. Oh, I love those flame costumes. It's so when everything's like the same but different I know, I know, it's so good when they have customized colors.
Speaker 2: Loved Cianna. What would you rate the film?
Speaker 1: I will give Sticket four point three leos out of five. The writing is insane, the language used is crazy, but in a way that I loved. All the puns and stuff, it's insane. It's very two thousands.
Speaker 2: I didn't even notice there were puns.
Speaker 1: Boy, So it's really like it's like a culture shock, but in a way that I loved. And uh, it was lit. This movie is absolutely lit. I loved it so much. Really, he can can can confirm it was amazing. Well, everybody, thank you so much for listening to this episode of Toss Popcorn.
Speaker 2: What a successful film. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That's a shimmying If it wasn't clear, yep, uh we have been toss Popcorn. You can follow us at Toss Popcorn on Instagram dot com and uh and follow us on Patreon at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We just put up some brand spanking new uh monthly tosses, well, a monthly to night.
Speaker 2: Describe it as a little gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: The most recent.
Speaker 1: One, honestly, this one was really good. You could sign up just to go watch this one. Leon did an amazing editing job that quite delighted.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you, and.
Speaker 1: Join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 2: A league of their own ooh, back to backs athletes. This will be less athletes, like how they call us comedians athletes.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Athleta's thank you, we love you.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. My high school was like kind of a cross country was a big thing there. So we had an ice bath at the school and one time I remember one of the boys coming up and being like, Oh, I'm going to take an ice bath right now, and me and some other girl were like, we're about to do it. We're already taking one. Yeah he was. He looked at us like huh, because he took us. He so didn't take us seriously. He's like he was a more serious runner, and I remember in that time being like, oh, this is entitlement. Ah, boys are very entitled. I'm gonna take them down.
Speaker 2: And we stay on Siena for a long reaction shot of her learning this as his thoughts about it.
Speaker 1: It was one of the I remember this solidifying in my mind as being like, I need to be mean to boys for the rest of my life. I'm gonna bully them, I'm gonna kill them, I'm gonna kill fast forward to this podcast et.
Speaker 2: Cetera, where we kill one boy a week.
Speaker 1: Did we not mention that part?
Speaker 2: Oh, wait for seasons and we forgot to tell you we've killed like two hundred guys. We always forgot to do it on Mike