Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we were smart enough to draft Jordan Mason in our fantasy league, but not smart enough to play him on Monday Night. I am Greg Rosenthal. I'm here in the Chris Westling podcast studio late at night, but not as late as it is on the East Coast, where it's already Tuesday. The first week of the NFL season for twenty twenty four is over, and I'm so happy to be joined by Nick Schuk joining me straight after writing up the Jets loss to the forty nine Ers on Monday Night Football, and sorry for framing it that way forty nine Ers fans, but it's Aaron Rodgers and his return from an Achilles' injury. The Jets were the big story here, Nick, but pretty disappointing in a thirty two to nineteen loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of those rare instances in which, in my five points on what we learned to usually try to give three to the winning team into the using team.
Speaker 3: I got done.
Speaker 2: I looked up and I went, oh god, there's three points of the Jets and they got beat this game pretty soundly. But you're right, that's the way the narrative goes, and it doesn't overshadow a great knighte for Jordan Mason, but the Jets are going to be a story for much of the season because of Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the Jets, you know, with Rogers, it was just very interesting to see him back on the field after so long. And the score was what thirty two to thirteen late in this game before Tyrod Taylor attacks on some garbage time, and yet, yeah, let's give jan Mason some love. So if you're listening to this, and I don't know, you went to bed, maybe over in the UK, you didn't stay up to watch the Channel five coverage with yours truly on Monday night, you might have thought, oh, am I going to get my Christian McCaffrey fantasy points. Nope, nope, Christian McCaffrey was out and it was a surprise. We'll get to kind of the I don't know whether the forty nine Ers acted honestly by keeping him out in this game or not in a second, but Jordan Mason looked freaking awesome in this game. And that's my biggest positive takeaway before we get to the Jets, is that the forty nine Ers offense had a three and out on their first drive and then scored on nine straight possessions and most of it was just with bullyball inside runs. Mike Golik put out on Twitter that last year, the forty nine Ers are actually the team that ran on the inside the fifth least of any team in the NFL, and tonight it was all about those inside runs. Jordan Mason winds up with one hundred and forty seven yards on twenty eight carries. He also had one really nice catch. I didn't think he had good hands, but he had a nice third down conversion. There were a lot of nice third down conversions from brock Purty. But this was about one team in the forty nine Ers just saying we're tougher than you, we want this more than you. This is going to be a little easier than we expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eight carries is the most by any running back in the Kyle Shanahan era, according to NFL research. Consider consider all the running backs that have occupied this back field, not just Christian McCaffrey, but Matt Brida and Rahee Moster and Jeff Wilson and Elijah Mitchell. You can keep going down the list, and that's the beauty of this really is that no coach can be trusted better than Kyle Shannan to get the most out of a running back. You've never heard of. How many of you paid attention to Jordan Mason before tonight.
Speaker 3: Not many.
Speaker 1: I just told you I drafted him and I got my I think it was my daughter. No, she doesn't draft forty nine. Its must have been my son to draft him too, because I just saw when I saw that caff injury from McCaffrey early on, I was just like, oh, that's alarm bells. And then Elijah Mitchell got her and supposedly Mason had a great camp and he backed it up. He's actually been with the team since twenty and twenty two as an undrafted free agent, and this is a good example the forty nine ers are good at developing players. He gets a chance, and he looked like vintage Chris Carson to me, you know, the old Seahawks running back, Just a rugged guy you do not want to get in the way. There was a play where he ran over Chris I mean Chuck Clark of the Jets and then kind of stepped over him and he was punishment. Tonight, Jordan Mason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Troy Aikman described him as a violent runner, and I thought that was accurate and no offense. I think can scheme up better to take advantage of a violent runner between the tackles like the forty nine ers. And the great thing about this was and there was one drive in particular where I'm sitting back just watching Kyle Shanahan deep in his bag just whipping out different plays, different run concepts, and they're executing all of it almost flawlessly. You got a little split zone inside, you get a little bit of some classic pulling and guys moving around outside of his zone concept, and they're just mowing through the Jets defense with Mason leading the way. And I think in a game like this, if you're going to establish control of the game on the ground and in time possession, which by the way, thirty eight minutes and forty seconds to twenty one minutes and twenty seconds that's dominant, then you need a violent runner, a rugged guy like a Chris Carson, like this player right here, Jordan Mason, and I think it worked out to near perfection for them. You could really ask for a better start for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at one point in the game because the Jets score. The first touchdown of the game was a really nice drive Aaron Rodgers, and you think, okay, this is going to go back and forth, and then you look up in the late third quarter at one point it was two hundred and eighty five yards to eighty seven. Yep, you know, twenty five minutes of possession to like twelve, and you were like, wow, this was an absolute beatdown. And getting to Rogers, I had a hard time evaluating this game. I would give it like a C plus bns for Rogers specifically. I actually thought, if you're listing the issues the Jets had tonight, Rogers was relatively low on it. Some nice throws, a touchdown pass where he gets the free play. They somehow have a stat that he has three times as many free play touchdowns as any quarterback in the league. Another nice throw to Lazard actually earlier on that same drive. Some other decent throws, and then a couple times where he looked a little panicky against pressure, maybe didn't look quite as athletic as he used to. His accuracy just a smidge off on a fourth down throw late in the game. He was a little late on a throw that ends up getting tipped up and intercepted in a nice play by Lenor. But then you look at the drive chart and it's like they just I know, there were a bunch of three and outs and there was a fumble forced by Fred Warner early in the game, but also they just never had the ball, so like they had two pretty good drives in the limited amount of drives that he had. To me, it really wasn't about Aaron Rodgers in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a buddy text me, seeing the Jets don't have any weapons. I said, they got weapons, they just haven't had the ball all night. I mean, you talked about the three anounced. Look at some of these Niners possessions, nine plays, twelve plays, twelfth plays, eleven plays, eight plays, eleven plays, Like that's all in succession. That's how you just dominate a team. You play keep away and you keep the ball out of a future Hall of Fame quarterback's hands.
Speaker 3: And it was as simple as that, really.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's actually take a listen to that interception, which came at a point that the Jets are trying to make a comeback in the second half.
Speaker 3: East you have to have a catch.
Speaker 4: Play action from Rogers. Again pressure off the edge and the pass is broken up and now picked off intercepted by planning in fowls after the chip by Lenore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like I said, when you watch that again, I think inform Aaron Rodgers, ideally, let's go of that ball a tick faster. There's a little bit of pressure on the edge. Leonard Floyd had four pressures in this game. Had a nice night. I mean Aaron Rodgers who got injured against Leonard Floyd last year, Like he does not want to see that dude anymore. He must be given him nightmares. Nick Bosa also had a good night, so the protection was not great. His numbers against pressure actually were terrible. Two for five with an interception, four yards per attempt and a sack and yet or no, rather a three for seven for thirty six yards. And that was when he held the ball more than two and a half seconds. So if he was holding the ball, it did not go well. When he was under pressure, it did not go well. When the ball came out on time, he looked like Aaron Rodgers and I'll give him a little bit of a pass that maybe that's just a little bit of rust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it was the pump fake there, which kind of gave away where the ball was going. But I really enjoy a lot of these games, especially against you know, between two teams that are expected to do, you know, significant things in NFL seasons, the chess match that goes on between you know, series and everything else. Because early on that touchdown drive, the Aaron Rodgers was taking advantage of linebackers in coverage against Garrett Wilson. You had a moment there where one linebacker came down and basically was playing in the slot over Garrett Wilson and got lost, kind of peeked in the backfield. He found Garrett Wilson right behind him for a first down. And then there was another instance where Fred Warner drops back in coverage and chases the tight end down. The center of the field opens up underneath for Garrett Wilson to catch Paul get another first down, continue to drive.
Speaker 3: They end up scoring a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Then the Niners said, screw it, We're not going to cover you with linebackers anymore. We're not really worried about the run. We're up by multiple scores. Just put corners on him and guess what, diamond, Leanor is right there to close the window, tip the ball up in the air and pick it off.
Speaker 3: It was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Leonor is a nice player. I don't think people know a lot about him, and he get paid sooner than later. Tarvarius Ward and him are a nice cornerback duo. I kind of agree with your friend though, that they don't have enough weapons. They have two, you know, Bristol and Gary Wilson, and Wilson goes six for sixty, but the offensive line did not play well and that would be the concern for me for the Jets was it wasn't really about Rogers, but Jonathan Franklin. Myers gets hurt early in this game, and the defensive line had very little pressure. They missed to Son Reddick. So we talked about how they got pushed around in the running game, which if you had six success against Roberts solid defense, that's how you did it in the past was run the ball. That's not as shocked, you know though the amount of you know, big runs that Mason made was a little surprising. But to not have any pass rush he as well, and then the offensive line not really blowing open any holes. In the running game either. I think of the sequence that ended the game. The forty nine ers are down sixteen points twenty nine to thirteen after Kyle Shanahan kind of whims out and kicks a field goal on four than one inside the five yard line. Considering how well Mason was playing, it's like, just go for it. You're up thirteen. But he lets his kicker get a sixth field goal. I believe on the night at the time, maybe that was the fifth. And I guess he knows his team because they weren't gonna do anything. The Jets run the ball on third and one, they get pushed backwards. Then Aaron Rodgers, you know, gets everyone spread out and he throws a bad ball to Wilson on fourth down. That basically ends the game. So I would say uneven from the Jets offense, yep, and just pour from the Jets defense. Let's listen to Aaron Rodgers after the game, and he was asked if the Jets not playing together in the preseason contributed to tonight's loss.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's an excuse for sure. I mean, I'm not gonna use that. I don't think we should. You know, we expect to greatness when we step on the field. There were moments, for sure, the moments have felt really good, good, but not sustained, you know. But like we could just get a first down, we'd be rolling. And we had those three and ounce, which really hurt us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they finished with two hundred and sixty six yards and that's after. Like I said, Tyrod earned himself one more year in the league with a nice touchdown drive at the end of the Who knows. Hopefully Rogers can stay healthy and we don't see more of Tyrod. But if that's the only thing you see this year that officially gets a twenty twenty five contracts, as it should, I love me some Tyrode. Like I said, I'm I'm a little concerned about this Jets team. And one thing that made me more concerned was was just this exchange with Robert Sala in the postgame press conference.
Speaker 5: We'll be better one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I'm not worried. I mean, give like I said, give San Francisco a lot of credit.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried offensively, I'm not worried. Defensively. Well, we'll get we'll get it fixed.
Speaker 1: I don't know something about I'm not worried and we'll get it fixed after one makes me.
Speaker 2: Worried, well, I mean it worries me because of the personnel. I mean I was keying on Jermaine Johnson against Tret Williams for a little bit in this game tonight. Tret Williams, by the way, went without allowing a single KB pressure in a game tonight, the first time since Week three of twenty twenty two, according to Next Gen Stats, and that's without training So feather in the cap for those who think training camp's overrated. You one tonight, congrats have one on me. But yeah, it was concerning because they just weren't generating in a pass rush rock pretty at all time all day. To throw and you're getting gashed on the ground, you think you might stack the box and maybe incorporate some guys with blitzer. Maybe it's a run blitz and ends up being against the pass. It just didn't work. It just didn't work. They didn't generate the natural pressure that they've gotten in the past, and that's what they've hung their hat on as they've gone through all these quarterback struggles over the last few years. Into Robert Salad is well, our defense is going to show up. It's gonna keep it closed. It's going to keep you competitive. They couldn't get off the field. So as much as Aaron Rodgers sits back and thinks, yeah, you know, we missed some opportunities here and there and we just couldn't get a first down, well, it hurts that much more when your defense can't get off the field because instead of going and sitting down for five minutes, you're sitting there for eight nine minutes watching the other offense dominate you and run the ball down your throat and just makes it that much more painful.
Speaker 1: Now, the good news for the Jets. The schedule to me is difficult in terms of having to play another road game, but it's against the Tennessee Titans, and then you're on a short week, which isn't great, but it's against the New England Patriots. You have the Vikings coming up. It's not the toughest of schedule. Like you look at everyone on this schedule and you think the Jets are either favored really in all those games. They also have the Broncos at home before that Vikings game, so the schedule eases up. You got to get some wins, but it's just every zero to one team, and we'll get into it during the week. It just Week two just feels all the bigger, like Week two at Titans feels not must winish. But then it gets a little panicky, and it's in New York and there will be some panic, and there will be some pressure to get Hassan Redick into the building and get other things done, and there probably will be some attention on this priest Halk quote after the game where he just said they just played harder than us, which I kind of hate it when players say that, because like, yeah, couldn't you say that about any game, But I get it, like they were just tougher upfront to give the forty nine or a few more flowers. You mentioned it. Perdy had plenty of time. I thought he was uneven, like he was playing out his preseason in the first quarter, and then he got into a rhythm. Brandon Nyuk had a drop in this game, had another pass that was deflected. The drop came on a beautiful throw by by Brock Purdy when he really started hitting his targets. They tried to get Deebo Samuel the ball a ton. When they do that, it doesn't tend to work that well anymore like it used to. Deebo gets nine targets, but only five catches for fifty four yards eight carries for twenty three yards, so that was inefficient. That's what like impressed me the most shook about this game is like Ayuk didn't look right. He ends up with two for twenty eight on five targets, a couple you know, not great plays from him. Deebo was fine, juwan Ja a little banged up, but he goes five for sixty four. McCaffrey doesn't even play and you stomp like a pretty good Jets team or what we think is a good Jets team like that. That really shuts up the people like me that were thinking like, oh, there's gonna be this hangover and it's only week one, but they look damn good.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's what happens when you run the ball well and when you dominate the trenches. Because they dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can talk about weapons all day. I know it's a quarterback league and everything else, but it starts and ends in the trenches.
Speaker 1: And if you win, what are you madge from NFL.
Speaker 2: My extremely wide tie. Not yes, that's me. I'm Meryl Hodge. It's it's an NFL matchup. It's two thousand and four on a Sunday morning. Yeah, that's who I am right now. Look, man, you gotta win up front. If you don't win up front, you don't have a chance. I don't care how good your quarterback and your wide receivers are. And the Jets got beat on both sides of the ball and the trenches tonight.
Speaker 1: Now, I remember a question I meant to ask you on Sunday Night's recap. It feels like we just finished that recap. But he didn't want to cut you off because I'm really trying to improve as a as a human, as a host and stop cutting people off so much. But the question I wanted to ask you last night and then I forgot, forgot it was what position did you play on the offensive line?
Speaker 2: I played guard in high school, and then in the brief amount of time I played in college, I played tackle because I went to a Division III school before I transferred to Kent, and I was large enough to play tackle in Division three where I played in high school. I played next to a six to seven tackle, So that wasn't going to work for me. Okay, impressive guard tonight.
Speaker 1: By the way, Dominic Pooney, I'm not going to say I'm a you know, grinding the tape on the guards. But Brandon Thorne, who does a great substack on offensive lineman, says he was awesome in the preseason. Troy Yikman called him out tonight. Looked really good in the running game. So it sounds like they found a good rock. Yeah he's just stud Yeah, guard there, and what can I say? They were impressive? They did play harder. Hell, let's play at Jordan Mason touchdown. We didn't hear a positive highlight after all that negativity about the Jets. I feel like I want to end this reec up on a positive.
Speaker 4: Second of goal. Mason bottling it but a touchdown. What an impressive night tonight for Jordan Mason.
Speaker 1: That kid can cut when he sees a hole, and he had holes tonight. He doesn't hesitate. He hits it like that is a perfect Kyle Shanahan backup. So the Jets leave this game wondering, and I tell you what shook. You prefer the game, you know, to be one in the trenches and for people like you who just always talk about the running game, your time is coming. The NFL is pretty cyclical. We're going to get into this more on Wednesday's show. But because brock Perty didn't go over three hundred yards, and yeah, Aaron Rodgers didn't have a chance to even get close, there's only two three hundred yard passers. That's the lowest since two thousand and ten. I believe it was the most one hundred yard rushers now that Jordan Mason topped it in a Week one since twenty fourteen. You can just roll out all these different stats, whether it's passing yards like EPA, if you take out scrambles like, if you include scrambles, running was more efficient than passing like. I don't know if it's gonna keep going this way, but you do see a trend with two tight ends, two backs on the field that the league is getting heavier. And somewhere Bill Belichick is sitting either in an Underdog studio or the inside the NFL studio or the Peyton Manning Show studio, whatever job he's got today, and he's saying, I can't believe I'm missing this season of all seasons, I've been trying to push it back this way for years.
Speaker 2: Two things one very popular college football podcast to listen to and mentioned, I think was Maryland, who just their coach said straight up, we're gonna run the We're gonna run the IE formation this year. And Defense is saying we don't know how to fit the I formation in college football.
Speaker 3: So that's a sign.
Speaker 2: But the bigger thing for me that makes me happier is about five or so years ago, there be a couple teams that ran the ball well, usually like the Titans with Derek Henry or the Ravens with the Greg Roman offense. And I think it was a Titans lineman back then would wear a hat into games that said run the damn ball on it. And I would like to see everybody start wearing hats to say run the damn ball. And I would like to be the face of that. So if anybody wants to get involved, let me know.
Speaker 1: And what a beautiful face it is. Yeah, like I said, we'll get into it more on Wednesday. That's gonna be a fun show with Jordan Roudrieg and Colleen Wolf. But you know what, we got more than just a recap. We got a lot of show left on this Monday Night recap show. What we're gonna do each week introduce a couple segments along with the news, and we'll get to that right after a quick break back on NFL Daily. And yes, it's the Monday Night recap show. We bring you a recap, we bring you news, We're gonna bring you our favorite players of the week. To wrap the show, I wanted to hear Nick to just clean up some loose ends. We do this big recap show every Sunday night, and I'm so excited to get so much information out, and then there's just things we forgot to say. And I'm now introducing a new segment. We are gonna start right now. Eric Roberts, put two minutes on the clock. I introduced to you the things we wish we had said on the week one Sunday Night recap. Start the two minutes, Eric, Nick, you start all right.
Speaker 2: First off, after watching Arizona and Buffalo play Kyler and the Cardinals are fun. Okay, I know they lost that game, but the way they operated that offense early in that game really fun to watch.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see how they grow.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, that was definitely pass interference on that ball to Greg Dorts and fourth down.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can.
Speaker 1: I know it was, and you're right. Think about that three man backfield, James Connor, Trey Benson, who looked pretty to Mercado No, and Kyler Murray. Kyler Murray looked awesome running in that case. Wait, I can't comment on yours or us.
Speaker 3: We're gonna look out. This is my part of this. What are we doing?
Speaker 1: All right? One thing that was absolutely disrespectful was the way that the Seahawks defense approached bow Knicks, lining up and cover one playing press coverage on third and five, saying, our cornerbacks are better than your wide receivers. We know bon Knicks hasn't gotta throw deep.
Speaker 2: Incredibly disrespectful, yes, but also Bonnicks will get better.
Speaker 3: That's my next point.
Speaker 2: I promise as long as he stops being Charlie Frye and locking onto one receiver because of his pre snappoint. Team needs to learn how to adjust after coverage changes. If you disguise against him, you're going to stop.
Speaker 1: Him, all right. My next one. NFL teams who were trailing by at least seventeen score seventeen points and scored no offensive touchdowns in a game. We're three and five hundred and nineteen since two thousand. The Bears are one of those teams. Now. They were also involved in one of those games, and it was the Dennis Green They are who we thought they were. A game where the Bears came back from a similar game. So very interesting. There go ahead, Nick, you the Bears.
Speaker 2: Tory Taylor, the punter has a hammer for a leg. Ryan Stonehouse, you better watch out. You got somebody coming for your job, your title as the you guy with the biggest leg in the NFL because he booms some punts in that game.
Speaker 1: Ramandre Stevenson awarded twelve tackles according to True Media. His season high last year was six. He looked like a different player. Veterans can suddenly get better. Nick Suk a.
Speaker 2: Clip I wish we got from the Bears game. Caleb Williams drops back to pass. He throws the toward Romo. No, he actually throws it over the middle.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm out of time. It gets deflected Romo Dunes.
Speaker 2: He catches it, he fumbles, and Tevin Jenkins the man following the ball like you're following your shot in basketball recovers to preserve possession. It was beautiful, it was chaotic, it was calamity.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad we got that in two minutes of great nuggets that we couldn't get in to the week one recap show. And so all the regrets that I'm filled with as I leave the Chris Westling podcast studio, I can now fill them up the next night. So that felt good to me. Let's do some news, all right. We're gonna start the news with something that seems familiar, serious, and we'll see where it goes. A lawsuit was filed on Monday in Houston, Texan that alleged that Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShawn Watson committed sexual assault and battery while on a date in October twenty twenty. The suit claims Watson exposed himself, requested a massage, and sexually assaulted the victim before she was able to resist. That was back when he was with the Texans. A league spokesman declined to comment on Monday. Of course, the NFL suspended Watson for eleven games and find him five million dollars for violating the league's personal conduct policy. This allegation is different in scope and exactly what it alleges. It puts it in a little bit of a different category, and there's no sense in speculating what this is all going to mean. I tend to think I think it has a chance to have lasting repercussions, not just because of Watson's history, but also because of where his career is right now as a member of the Cleveland Browns, and just wondering if there's a possibility that they look to see what sort of recourse they could have if he ends up being away from the field. But we will see. We really have no idea at this point in terms of injury news. Well, just while we're on the Browns, we're here with you it chok So, I like keep it at to the one team. It's like David and Joku high Inkle Sprain and they signed Kadarius Tony. That's a big loss though Nijoku is a big part of that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they like to rely on him. They're letting him a lot.
Speaker 2: With Joe flaccol last year they tried to on Sunday and it didn't really work out well, and then of course he gets hurt. So interesting to see how they rebound He is not the only tight end on that roster, of course, but he is their best. So after a rough start, things get a little bit rougher for them.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I unfortunately only had a lot of injury news, Like, as I'm filling out this running now, I was like, oh, there's not much news on Monday. And then one more thing gets announced that we didn't even know was a problem. Then another thing, and then another thing. One thing we did know was was Pukainakua got hurt and he is going to injured reserve. That's not the only bad injury news for the Rams. Joe Noteboom, who was in as their swing tackle replacing their already missing left tackle who's on suspension right now, is going to be out likely multiple weeks. And Steve Abula, who is a great guard center young player for them, also likely to be out a few weeks. That's tough. They're heading to Arizona this week. That's maybe a game you could pull out without all these guys. But they are the team I think most impacted by injuries in this young season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially with a guy like Matt Stafford who's not young and he has battled through his own injuries throughout his career, even though he started last year healthy. Keeping him protected is key. And right after that Arizona game, they play against the Niners, and they play the Bears, whose defense more than their Week one game, and then they play the Packers. So it's not going to get any easier. So hope for a speed of recovery. But not looking great right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they showed Look they played so well in that Sunday night game despite all this happening, and now they can plan around it for a week. But yeah, if you're the Rams, it just makes this game huge. You really want to get this game so that that forty nine Ers game in Week three doesn't feel like a must win when you're not really fighting with all your guys. So they could be short three to four starting offensive linemen. It's just a lot at one time. In addition to losing Pokin Cool, I will say, like the receiver depth is better than I would have expected a month ago. Jordan Winnington and then Tyler Johnson showed up in that game, which which surprising to me.
Speaker 2: You have DeMarcus Robinson on that roster as well, and he made a few nice plays in that Winter or that lost the lines.
Speaker 1: Too to at well the world's fastest and smallest decoy but makes a big play every once in a while. But yeah, it was more Tyler John and Waitning Tod. I just didn't expect them to be factors, so I would not count this RAMS team out. Let's actually dive just let's take a step back from like the news of the day and dive a little deeper into the Jordan Love situation, just because we haven't hit it in depth on NFL daily since we found out the timeline of how long he's going to be out, so they're not putting him on injured reserve. That was the news on Tuesday. On Monday rather In addition, Matt Lafleur says Malik Willis will be the starter, which I suppose we could have assumed they hadn't signed anyone, but I don't know. John Clifford had been on the roster last year and literally was their game day backup for all of last year, so I didn't assume it was going to be Willis, but it will. What a fascinating challenge this is going to be for Lafleur, who's a really good coach, but now has to navigate a significant part of the season. But if you can just get one win with Malik Willis, if you could, if it ends up, then maybe you buy Love an extra week to come back. If you get two wins. I mean, you know, Matt Lafleur Coach of the Year, Candacy start starts picking up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that kind of speaks to what we think of Milie Quillis. Unfortunately, like, this is a guy who was drafted by Tennessee and never got any better to the point where they were like removing on from you. I don't feel confident about their potential offensively with him, even if they have Josh Jacobs and a bunch of talent around him, just because I know that this is a quarterback who has never really shown me anything. But if you look at their schedule, they play Indianapolis at home, they go on the road to Tennessee, they play Minnesota at home, they go on the road to the Rams, and they play the Cardinals. And that's like roughly that three to five week range that you're thinking for Love. But we'll see how how long it actually lasts. I'm just glad, honestly, Greg, after watching that replay you see it in slow mo. You see his knee pop, and I thought in that moment, he's done for the year, because anytime you see something like that pop usually it's pretty devastating in terms of injury. So to find out that he's not out for the year at this point is positive news. It's just that you're now going to have to soldier through this next month or so and try to scrape by and maybe get a win or two just to stay afloat. It makes that Eagles loss a little bit more painful.
Speaker 1: It really does. But they were sloppy in that game. They defense, yeah, defensively. I was almost a little more disappointed than even on the offense because Jordan Love didn't have the greatest of games. But their running game was good. They you know, they had a lot of big plays in the in the running game overall, and I like the weapons. Jayden Reid obviously was good with a run and a catch, and I think the offensive line is okay. Milik Willis is playing with a much better group of players around him and a much better coach than we've ever seen. You figure they build it around the running game. The home game against the Colts this week it's compelling. I mean, it's not as compelling as if Jordan loves the quarterback, but it.
Speaker 2: Just concerns me. It concerns it because you lacked time more than anything. You lacked time, even with the coaching, impact usually is seen over time, and they just got him and now he's thrown into the fire.
Speaker 3: So I'm worried about that.
Speaker 1: I am too. It's this season gets late early for some of these teams, like the Packers, not quite the Rams, but all these injuries, you just suddenly feel like, Okay, this we have to navigate this portion of the season if we want to get to where we need to be. Just get us to one and two. Get us I guess Love wouldn't be back by then. Get us to two and four, Malik Willis, get us to two and three. Maybe Jordan Love can be back by then. And yeah, I'm thrilled that he is coming back, but still pretty disappointing that he's not going to be in our lives selfishly over the next few weeks. All right, let's talk about other surprising injury news and the day Derek Brown is out for the season, the Panthers defensive.
Speaker 2: Line well, potentially he's got a meniscus issue and they have to have surgeries. They don't quite know yet, but once they get in there, they'll know, and if it goes like it did with JJ McCarthy, he'll be done for the year. We just don't know definitively at this point, but it's trending toward that, which is not good news.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the guy who just got paid.
Speaker 2: He had a breakthrough year last year, had his first Pro Bowl nod with a bad Panthers team, and this is the guy that you were counting on, and it kind of explains why they got bludgeoned so badly by the Staints. You take away your best guy up front, it's gonna get pretty tough.
Speaker 1: That was potentially the thinnest defensive line in the league because Derek Brown's really good, but more of a run stopper than a peer pass rush. Sure that he gets some good push last year, right, he really improved it. He's an example of how those interior guys tend to get better year three, year four. Sometimes it takes some time to develop. He was a guy they were disappointed by it as a rookie, I remember, and then he just got better and better and better. So now you have Dedevian Clowney and one of the thinnest defensive lines in the league. I think this could be the worst defense in the league, which is crazy because they were the worst offense in the league last year and they're hoping for improvement there. We didn't see it week one, but the talent on defense is rough, So that was surprising news. We just had no idea that it was going to be that serious when it came to Derek Brown Bucks a bunch of bad injury news. Antoine Winfield there, they're great cornerback out two to four weeks according to Todd Bowles, Bryce Hall, which you know, not a not Brice Hall, Bryce Hall, but who is getting significant snaps for them at cornerback, in part because another one of their starting cornerback, Zion McCollum, has been hurt. Bryce Hall, is out for the season. McCollum's still hurt. Elijah Canty missed their Week one game, and so that's just a team that I think right now, three of their top four cornerbacks are out, another safety is out, and another team is just gonna have to manage injuries at this point in the season, hope to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's gonna be tough for them because you know the Ryde and High after this dominant went over the Commanders. But they're facing the Detroit Lions in Detroit in week two and they're gonna be thin up front, and then you go and play Denver and Philly at home, then you go on the road to Atlanta, and that's starts off your divisional slate, like it's not gonna get any easier. So you got to hope that those guys come back, because what you don't want to get is dominated up front and on the ground, because then suddenly you're asking a lot of Baker Mayfield, who had a great first game, had a great year last year. But you don't want to put too much pressure on the quarterback to try to keep up in a shootout if you can't stop a nosebleed. So you got to hope that the guys they replace them with play pretty well in their absence.
Speaker 1: They've been very good at beating the teams that they should though, And that's what I talk about. What I'm saying managing the schedule. Okay, Antoine Winfield is to me, the most important safety in the entire NFL. But they managed the schedule by dropping a hammer on the Commanders, you know, to open the season. Then maybe you lose this one to the Lions, but you had that win in your pocket. And then you get the Broncos week three at home. You have another home game after that, and you know, maybe you can manage it. And it's two and two and Winfield's back. But yeah, bad news for Antoine Winfield. There just a bunch of cornerback news today. Dyson Campbell's going to be out for a little while with a hamstring injury for the Jaguars. That's bad news for them. Jordan Addison is very iffy to play this week with an ankle injury. I feel better about the Vikings receiver group because of Jalen Naylor than than I would have a year ago if they lose a starting wide receiver. But that's big news. And then in receiver news, that's off to the side. Here this this Tyreek Storre Tyreek Hills story. It's pretty crazy. The body cam footage from when he was dragged now we know for sure out of his sports car was released on Monday, and it showed there there was kind of an altercation between the Miami Dade County officers in Hill and watching the video, the officers cursed at Hill. He did not really resist them at all, and he drags them out and strikes them. And the Dolphins released a statement on the encity incident on Monday, and they said, uh, they condone and want strong action against the officers involved. We are saddened by the overly aggressive and violent conduct directed towards Tyreek Hill, Kalaius Campbell, and John new Smith by police officers, but for yesterday's game, the statement read, it is both maddening and heartbreaking to watch the very people we trust to protect our community use such a necessary force and hostility towards these players. Yet it is also a reminder that not every situation like this ends in peace. As we are grateful this one did, what if I wasn't Tyreek Hill is a question that will carry with resounding impact. They go on to say that they have a strong and proud relationship with the police department and that they basically recognize that there are good police officers out there, but then they also ask for this misguided power to have action taken against them. It's a strong statement, and one I'm sure is really appreciated nick by the players. It's hard to be shocked when we've seen worset bodykim footage over the last decade. Unfortunately that this is all too common, but it is striking to see it with Tyreek Hill and then Klais Campbell and Johnny Smith are also involved trying trying to help it in the videos really just say it all. And so if you you haven't watched them, you know, I would say say, and you're interested too, that they will speak a lot more eloquently than I could on the issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we're pretty dessensitized to this stuff by now, unfortunately, you know. But at the same time, there was a moment in that footage where an officer said, do you know who that is? That's one of the Dolphins star players. He just goes, oh, really, and they're still they've got him pinned down. They go to Klais Campbell very aggressively. It was just it was all very startling footage considering that these are guys on their way to work, you know, and it's nothing more than a speeding violation, and it escalated that quickly. So you know, we'll obviously keep an eye and see what type of action is taken. But disheartening to say the least.
Speaker 1: Right, they showed Tyreek Hill at one point putting his window up after talking to the police officer, and I believe he was actually calling his agent at the time, because when they drag him out and put him on the ground, you can hear him talking to Drew Drew and that I believe that's his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. And I know the Dolphins probably had a lot of meetings before releasing that statement, and yeah, I think their fans and their players will certainly appreciate that, and so we'll see what comes of that. Some final just quickie news items hit the music, Eric, just one by one, let's go through it. Lamar Jackson out of practice Monday. We've got another Lamar Jackson missing practice mystery.
Speaker 2: Nick, Yeah, extra apparently I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't know.
Speaker 2: He gets sick a lot, so like, I don't know what it is, but I'm not too concerned.
Speaker 3: They do play Thursday night, so.
Speaker 1: I'm always a little concerned. Jake Ferguson has an MCL spraying the Cowboys tight end, but he could play this week. Yeah, boy, Kadie York missed a couple kicks for the Commanders, and your Browns will not get a seventh round pick. I believe because he did not last long enough. The Commanders have cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he struggled. The pride of Lsu has not had a good NFL career. I thought he was back on track. He was with the Browns in preseason and then it all fell apart.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Romadoonza. He's gonna get his knee tested for an MRIRI. He's believed to be weak to week with that injury. So we will see Toron Johnson, who's one of the most important players for the Bills, is out for Thursday Night football. He is their slot cornerback. And then finally, Kendrick Lamar is the halftime guest at the Superdome. I'm excited about this.
Speaker 2: One, all right, So I don't need to turn this into Shooks music corner, but I'm going to right now real quick.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I got a text today because there's a big discourse online about why they didn't pick Lil Wayne. You know, New Orleans own obviously a legendary rapper, but they didn't pick him. They picked Kendrick guys Recncy. Kendrick Lamar dominated the summer with his disc tracks. Regarding Drake, you know, he hasn't put out an album that's produced a ton of hits in a while.
Speaker 3: But this guy.
Speaker 2: All you need to do is go watch the pop out concert that he put on at the Forum this summer. It was amazing and that's exactly the perfect kind of scenario for a halftime show.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a legend, He's one of the greatest of all times. So Lil Wayne and my prediction will be Lil Wayne comes out and I know he doesn't have songs with Kendrick that would be worth playing there, but he'll just come out and do one of his songs. Yeah, one he had won, I know, but it's not like a song that you would play at the super Bowl. I'm a huge little Wayne fan. I hope they I want a little Wayne to be the halftime guess when the Super Bowl was there twelve years ago, which he could have been an option for that, but that was Beyonce. This is Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick Labar is like at that levels. Even I'm not mad about it. But my prediction is we get some Kendrick, we get some little Wayne.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we get some West Coast guests too. It's gonna be real nice.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for that though, Like, although, is he really going to play not like us? I don't know. That doesn't seem like a super Bowl halftime. Of course, I know everyone would go crazy for it. It will be that will be like the ultimate moment in distract history.
Speaker 2: It really uh being played at the super Bowl, especially because Drake was quoted as saying big as the what big as the super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Except no, Hendrick said the super Bowl? So killer shot fired.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's wrap up this show. That was it for the News. Was something we're going to do every week. It's time for the Captain's Corner, presented by Captain Morgan. We're gonna highlight a player that we believe deserves a little bit of extra shine. As we close the book on week one of this twenty twenty four season, let's.
Speaker 2: Start with you Shuck, all right, So Sam Darnold, raise a glass to you, my friend, because look, people like me doubted you. I've seen you see ghosts many times over your career, whether it was in New York, or it was with Carolina, and then you had that one game with the Niners last year that was all fine and Danny and somehow got you a job. And yet here you are in Week one in the Meadowlands playing the Giants and their crazy throwback uniforms, and you come out you handle the situation like a captain. You go out there, decomplete nineteen to twenty four passes for two hundred eight yards.
Speaker 3: Do you have throw two touchdown passes?
Speaker 2: And even the interception that you threw wasn't really your fault as a deflected ball. You commanded the day and led your team like a captain. So I raise the glass to you, sir. A great job.
Speaker 1: Okay. Reminds me a little bit of this Sam Bradford game that he had in Week one for the Vikings. Am I right? They traded for Sam Radford.
Speaker 3: It was after Teddy got hurt, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was like the best Sam Bradford game of all time in Monday night football. Unfortunately he got hurt after it. I don't want Sam Donald to get hurt, but I just wonder if this is if that's going to be the highlight of Sam Bradford. I mean Sam Donald season or not, we'll see that's fair. I'm going outside the box here. I'm going Chris Boswell. Wow, when your team doesn't score a touchdown and you win the game anyways because your kicker, and this is the Pittsburgh Steelers longtime kicker goes six for six and three over fifty once from fifty seven. We just take these games for granted now, like Blake Group, he's knocking out fifty sevens and plus fifties and it's just like, oh yeah, of course, Like kickers are so much better now. But he wouldn't have gotten this honor for just hitting three over fifty and going six or six, as good as that would be. He gets this honor because he did all that. And then with three point twenty nine left in the game, their punter Kim Johnson gets injured and there's a penalty on the play on the Steelers. Kim Johnson, by the ways out for the season, which is very unfortunate for him. He looks like my boss from my other job at the Justsel Nick. Yeah, at the JUSTL Nick and Rosenthal Vanity Project.
Speaker 3: Yeapy.
Speaker 1: He looks exactly like Bill Burr and now he's out for the season, so I'm very sad for him. And what does he have to do on no notice. It's not like Boswell had any time to prefer it. He got hurt and then he had to run out onto the field immediately because they had to run the next play because there was a penalty on it. And Boswell goes out there and he hits a forty three yard punt, nice hangtime, and it's forty three yards net like no return because it was such a good punt, like that's just a good old punt, and he did it under adverse situations. And then just a minute later they bring him on to have another kick to make it an eight point game. To me, that is that's a hell of a performance by Chris Boswell. He did.
Speaker 2: He did it effortlessly, He really did. He came through in the clutch in a day that they couldn't find the end zone. So you know, typically Captain Euster, I'm gonna give you a bonus one. I'm breaking the rules, but I'm gonna give you a bonus one because I to prepare in case you went Sam Darnold, just because who knows Darryl Taylor gets traded in August to Chicago and in his first game with the Bears, records two sacks, including a huge stripsack of Will Levis that helps them swing the game. They kick a field goal afterward at seventeen sixteen, and we know what happened after that with the pick six.
Speaker 3: Hats off to you as well, Darryl Taylor. Great debut for the Bears.
Speaker 1: There are no rules in the Captain do whatever you want, but I can promise you one thing. I will never ever you Sam Darnold in this spot. You can be assured that is not coming from me. That was Captain's Corner, presented by Captain Morgan. It's the Listas and Chris, perfect for Game Day and friends. Spice it up. Visit Captain Morgan dot com to find a Captain near you. Please drink responsibly. I am getting out of here, Nick Schook. I appreciate you. And this is just the first of eighteen times. We're gonna go Sunday night and we're gonna go Monday night. So you better not call any of them off because I just committed you to each in everyone, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: As soon as the season arrived. I spent last weekend having some fun because I knew that football time from here on out, baby, So I am gonna hydrate responsibly with some water tonight in celebration of our first week tell season.
Speaker 3: We're done.
Speaker 1: It's nick at Night, Sunday nights, and Monday nights. As I mentioned, we'll be back on Wednesday with Jordan Rodrigue and Colleen Wolf. That is going to be a fun one. In the meantime, it's confirmed football is back.