Speaker 1: Cause Media.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, and welcome to the podcast. It's James Today and I'm joined again by Kevin McDonald. Kevin is a retired officer fine the Irish Defense Forces with some special forces and peacekeeping experience. Welcome to the show, Kevin.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks very much for having me. And just as a sort of disclaimer at the very start, any viewser opinions that I expressed, the opinions of a retired senior officers from the Irish Defense Forces can't be construed has been in any way the views of the Irish Defense Forces, not indeed that of the United Nations. So I just wanted to but that I was there before we get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not a UN or an Irish Defense Forces spokesperson. Not that we've had many of those suppose on our show, Kevin. We're here today to talk a little bit about the situation in Congo and and perhaps more specifically like how the peacekeeping mission there has evolved and changed and sort of morphed over the years. So maybe just to begin with, I can give an idea that like this city of Goma, which is the capital of North Kivu Province, has recently been captured by m twenty three rebels would explain who they are people who an't familiar in a minute. It's a city of about a million people. I believe that's saying around three thousand people have been killed in this operation, which is I mean, it's a massive.
Speaker 3: Death toll in a short space of time, very.
Speaker 2: Short space of time. Yeah, And some of the other stuff I've heard, like at one point there's a prison within the city which there was a jail break, and they think a hundred of the women who were incarcerated there were sexually assaulted and in some cases burned alive after the jail break happened. Thousands of Congolese military and police have surrendered a contingent of I believe Romanian private military contractors were captured.
Speaker 3: Yes, captured, surrendered either where they went into Rwanda. I think about three hundred of them, which is a significant amount of mercenaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially when we're talking about Romania, which is not a vast country.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Understandably, a lot of things are happening in the US, so people may have missed it, and like I think people in the US, just due to the nature of news being quite naval gazing here may not be as familiar with the conflict in Congo, Like if they know about it, it's from Warren's Evon songs or maybe from maybe from a couple.
Speaker 3: Of films, Lyer's Gone and Money. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the other one?
Speaker 3: Roland, the Thompson Ganna. That's the yeah, Lowland, the headless Thompson.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's the one. Yeah, yeah. Yeah. So let's talk then about the various United Nations peacekeeping missions in Congo. They've been there for since the nineteen sixties, is it on and off?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So the first mission in the Congo was or No in nineteen sixty, and a lot of people would say that that was the first UN mission, but as I think we discussed the last time, the first YU went mission was full scale war in nineteen fifty in Korea. Yeah, and that mission is still in existence the UNC, the United Nations Command. But I suppose speaking about the Congo specifically. So in nineteen sixty there was seventeen newly independent states, of which fourteen were from Africa, agreed to a call from the U went to establish this mission in the Congo, and Ireland answered the call as well, so we deployed it was the first time that we deployed with the UN and we had a battalion there from nineteen sixty to I think nineteen sixty whenever the initial deployment ended, and it was a fairly tough, intense introduction to peacekeeping. In the early in nineteen sixty there was an engagement between an Irish platoon and a large group of Beluba tribesmen and there was nine Irish soldiers killed and twenty six Belubas killed, and that was the first time that Ireland kind of had to deal with that kind of death overseas, so it was pretty traumatic. And then in nineteen sixty one, you've probably seen the film The Siege of Jariteville, but it recounts the true story of an Irish company under COMMONDA. Pack Quendlin. His company was one hundred and fifty eight roughly strong, and they were attacked while they were at mass on a Sunday morning by a group of between three and four thousand Catanganese well armed soldiers backed up by French and Belgium and South African mercenaries. They also had an attack helicopter and they had an attack chest.
Speaker 2: I think he had some of the old Rhodesis in there as well at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well yeah, unfortunately, anything for a fight, but the Irish held out for I think over a week, and they didn't give up when they ran out of water, they didn't give up when they ran out of food. It was when they had no bullets left they negotiated a surrender thanks to the skill of the officers and NCOs and men. Not one fatality on the Irish side. Unfortunately, when they came home because they had surrendered, they were treated like praias. For years it was seen like a state on the nation. Now if God forbid, they had fifty percent casualties that have been treated like heroes. Yeah yeah, and it's only in recent years that they're getting the recognition that they should have got back in nineteen sixty one.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting. I know they've been treated that way. It's quite sad to hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a strange one and a lot of the people that we will say shunning these officers and NCOs and men. It's happened to serve to overseas and like if the UN they tried once to resupply them with ammunition from the year, but it wasn't successful, So if the UN had fully supported that company, they would have held out even longer. But I suppose that's that's the way things things go. So that's the first mission to the Congo, and I could be corrected. I think sixty four or sixty five. It might have sort of started to draw down then in nineteen ninety nine, after it was the first the second war, or the UN established monarch monu See and that lasted from nineteen ninety nine until twenty ten when it was renamed and rechanged into MINUSCO. And the difference between the two is that MINUSCO is what we call an integrated mission, and the three pillars of an integrated mission are the restoration of the rule of law, the protection of civilians, and the provision for long term recovery and democratic governance. So it's combining we'll say, the force of a military presence, but also there's special advises on justice and policing, on governance, all that sort of stuff which you wouldn't have an emission like UNIFILM, which we discussed the last time, yeah, which is the earlier form of peacekeeping. So MINUSCO was supposed to have left the country in twenty twenty four, but they were given a I think a one year extension. Yeah, and unfortunately now with the twenty three rebel advance, the mission is relocating most of its staff evacuating others. The difference between the two terms is very specific. You relocate within the country and you evacuate out of the country. And I also note that the some of the Hybrid African Union peacekeeping operations there was I think thirteen South Africans killed and in the initial stages of the of the onslaught towards towards going. So that that's kind of where we are with the with the I think at the at its height with in twenty one twenty two, there was probably a strength of twenty thousand. But if you think the DRC is the second largest country in Africa, vast and the eleventh largest country in the world, just the size of just phenomenal. So you can imagine what the Congo and this entire no more than Sudan, but what the Congo and its entirety was back in the day. Yeah, absolutely huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's asked. It encompasses different climates, own different ethnic groups, as we're seeing.
Speaker 3: Right, two hundred main ethnic groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's a fascinating place. It's a place I've wanted to go for a long time. I spent some time on the Congo Rwanda border a few years ago. I'm not so far from going er actually like riding riding my bike around, and it's a very interesting place in terms of what Rwanda is a very interesting place in terms of its relation to its neighbors. I think people will probably struggle to conceptualize. I actually saw somebody had posted on Twitter, somebody who talks about Syria mostly like how on Earth is Rwanda invading Congo? And they had like a picture, you know, and the land mass of Rwanda. Ruanda is one of the smaller countries in Africa, and Congo is obviously a vast country. Are you comfortable explaining a little bit of like the Rwandan involvement.
Speaker 3: It's complicated and it goes back to the it is genocide back in ninety four ninety four, I think you yeah. And the the two Kivus, North and South Kivu, which is on the border with Rwanda, there's a large amount of ethnic Tutsis Congolese Tutsis there. I think what Rwanda has always projected force into the Two Kivus and Catanga because like literally that that's that's where the money is. Of course Rwanda would say they don't, but they are actively supporting and empty industry and have and most of the twenty three, certainly the leadership would be ethnic conglese Utsis. So ostensibly I think the raison deaths for Romanda's involvement was to protect the ethnic Tutsis from Hutus that had escaped from the from the the genocide. So it's complicated, but if you kind of part those complications and think of the money trail, it kind of leads to the Two Kivus because seventy percent of the world's bolt, I think, is kind of located between the Two Kivus, and then you have gold, diamonds, all the other sort of rich minerals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible wealth in Congo.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but I was reading that the estimated deposits in eastern Congo is something like twenty three trillion, Like it's off the wall stuff. Yeah, So it's no wonder it's become the battleground that it has essentially since nineteen sixty because in nineteen sixty, after getting independence, the Kivu and Katanga wanted to secede back by belt and that's kind of what kicked off a lot of the conflict in nineteen sixty and the reverberations from that are still are still kind of being felt and been exploited because everyone wants to get a piece of the action, like all the surrounding countries. So yeah, I see, I think it was yesterday that the they're planning a meeting. I think it's this week or this weekend to try and resolve the afflict. And this time they're going to try and include entry twenty three in the in the amazing rather than ex Google. I don't think that the choice. I mean they're heading down to Book of Auso.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean A twenty three have said that they're going for sort of the whole country now that they're not you know, it's not as not a regional or like you know, ethnic movement so much as a and that they will M twenty three would say that they're not like per se ethnic separatists, right, like I think they would claim that they're like a Liberation of Congo force. And then you've Burundi supporting the Congolese government. You know that there's all kinds of as you say, like regional and international actors because of the wealth in Congo, and like let's Congo emerge from the DC emerged from its colonial past. Right, it's always been destabilized by these actors, both regional and international, who who wanted a piece of that mineral wealth, and then they've created and sustained these differences which have become I think there's some evidence to suggest that, like certainly that they're like the ethnic differences have become more pronounced and more like intransigent, I suppose, or like you know, it's become more difficult for those ethnic groups to co exist over time due to decades of conflict, right and killing, and it's a very difficult situation and it leaves people like the civilians living in Goma today in a terrible situation where I think this is the fifth time that people have attacked Goma, Like it's certainly I think the last time was about twenty twelve, was it when the last time M twenty three took Goma?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's when the which we've probably just gossed later, the Force and Invention Brigade. Yeah, we took Goma in twenty thirteen in a relatively shar space of time. Yeah, compared to how long we took to more, they regained it very quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think we break for adverts now. I'd like to come back and discuss the Force Intervention Brigade because I think it's something that people ought to understand when we talk about peacekeeping. And we're back, okay, So, yeah, you mentioned the Force Internsian Brigade, which is something a bit unique within peacekeeping, and there's a lot of like when people talk about peacekeeping, they'll be like, oh, why aren't they fighting? Why aren't they like going and stopping the things? And I understand why people ask that, So can you explain a little bit about what the FIB was and what it did.
Speaker 3: The concept of the Force Interventional Brigade was I think, to my knowledge, it's the first UN mission that developed that concept, and they actually changed the mandate to include an offensive capability for U and troops as opposed to defensive or separation of war in factions. This was full on war fighting and what they had figured out because the DRC is so big, but the footprint even with twenty thousand troops the footprint on the ground was not sufficient to say, as I said, one of the three pillars of an integrated emissions protection of civilians, and they were finding that very difficult. So they decided to use a concept of protection by projection rather than protection by presence. So not alone did they have the force and digans from brigade, they had the joint protection teams and also an idea of a rapidly deployable battalion. So the idea was that the force and Divention Brigade would say, do the heavy lifting, and then when hotspots that flare up, they could choose either the rapidly deployed out the battalions or the joint protection teams. So the idea was that rather than having static positions trying to protect people, they would go where the action was. That was the idea, and in fairness, the FIB had artillery, martor snipers, attack helicopters, UAVs, special forces then retook Gum And I don't know the exact timeframe, but I think it was less than a month of the problems and I think we touched one at the last time we spoke, and I think this was a specific problem to the how the FIB didn't really keep going the way it should have is that two of the men TCCs were Tanza, Vegan and South Africa, and they would have had slightly different agendas in terms of who they should and they shouldn't attack based on the government's position. Sorry, true country from the countries. Excuse me, I should have said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a sea of acronyms here. I've tried to avoid all these faction acronyms, but yeah, yeah, explain that a bit, because when people think of the UN or in peacekeepers or troop contributing countries, the only time it comes on the news in sort of the global north is when people from say Northern Europe or North America are part of these UN peacekeeping missions. So they think of people British troops, America and Canadian what have you, yea in their blue helmets. Right that the vast bulk of TCCs don't come from from Northern Europe. Right in Africa, that the majority of TCC's or other African countries, I think I'm right saying it's a majority.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like like here here in in South Sudan, most of the big battalions are Wanda, Nepal, Mongolia, China. Generally speaking, in my experience in the Central African Republic and and here a lot of the battalions come from Africa, which which is fair enough. I mean it's it's their continent. Yeah, and they should have a they should have a stake in trying to faster piece and develop peace and and and help countries in less or more dire situations than they themselves perhaps are. So it's understandral point about about different countries being aware of what the UN does based on I take, for instance, everyone in Ireland knows about the UN when and then all about the Irish and Lebanon, and in Syria and in Africa. I'm sure in the Nha Kingdom, because you've got a very small UN footprint. Yeah, Cyprus been one, and there's a few of you guys here. Generally people in the UK, I'm sure you'll be able to enlighten me on this wouldn't have the exact same intimate knowledge or even interest in the UN, yeah, because basically they don't have a big footprint, deployable footprint.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And it's the same with the United States. I think it's not something that people think about for the most part, and so like that's this question of like why doesn't the un Certainly I think when people saw what happened recently in Lebanon, they were like, why are these peacekeepers? You know where you had these peacekeepers. And we spoke about this in our last episode, right being shelled being shot at. You know, the people were asking why they went out there fighting, and there are a lot of reasons for that, one being it that's not what they're there to do. But yeah, when we had this Force Intervention Brigade in Congo, they did some good things, right, they were able to retake Goma, and for the people who lived in Goma, I'm sure that was very important, like that meaningfully improved their lives. But like it also comes with these complications that you've addressed, right, Like each of those those troop contributing countries, you need everyone to be committed to like the same mission, I suppose, and like if if your government is giving your armed forces one mission that differs slightly from that which the whoever's in commanded the force into gentry brigade hats, then we get friction, right, or it's not as efficient as it could.
Speaker 3: Be Yeah, I think I'm sure I mentioned this when we last spoke. It's one thing developing a robust mandate, but if the if the TCCs don't have the skills, the experience, the training, the equipment, or the will to enforce the robust nature of that mandate, well then the mandate isn't really worth anything, you know. So it's it's kind of like, yes, the FIB was extremely effective for a while until it wasn't. Now whether that was a lack of will on the TCCs or on New York or mission leadership, I have no idea, but it was a great idea and it worked and then it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Plus the fact that the DOC wanted the mission to downsize and eventually leave, that added to the should we really invest in something when we're going to pull out because the country doesn't want to see her anymore? Which is again it's a fair point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, No one wants foreign troops in their country, right, you know, walking around, especially you know, engaging their own citizens. But I mean it's interesting. I was watching a speaks the current president of the DC, Felix Tishi Sakedy. I've tried my best to pronounce it correctly. It's not that diffrespect. He was saying that the international community is bordering on complicit in M twenty three to advance because of the failure to do anything about it in a speech he gave this week, And it was interesting because it had previously been, like you said, for under very understandable reasons, especially in the DRC, which has this long and horrible history of colonialism, like the terrible things done in the Belgian Congo. We've covered. There's a lot on basketsweenw the show that we do. People can listen to that if they want to. But like now he's asking for more help, which is also understandable because you know, his military is one hundred and twenty five thousand or so like and a large number of that it's not very combat effective forces maybe and they've just been overrun in Goma in a big city, a city of a million people. So like, where do you think we go from here? What's like, we're at a very unique time in world history in which the United States is it's doing some things with his foreign policy. Like I mean, I don't know, I won't really meant words about anything. It's terrible, but if we talk about like USAID, right I was speaking to people on the Thai Burmese border last week who were telling me that USAID has turned off life support machines as part of it to throwdown, and that people obviously directly died as a result of that. There So the US is not necessarily averse to having terrible consequences to its whatever it's trying to do right now, which I don't really have a good word for. So look, where do we go from here with the US becoming more isolationists.
Speaker 3: Well, let's discuss for a few minutes the alternatives to UN peacekeep yep, and there's a lot of them here in Africa. So you have the South African Development Community static, the East African community. There was an African Union stroke un Hybrid mission and therefore unimit which is closing. There was a NEO mission in Somalia. There is the Lake Chad based and Multinational Task Force. There's the Group of Five for the Sahel. Then you had EU four which was an EU force in Chad and in Mali and subsequently became miner Cat in Chad and Minusma and Mali. Then you have the EUTM mission in Mali, which I was part of at one stage and another one in scenario, And of course we have our mercenaries, you know, and when it emerged that there was over three hundred of them allowed into Rwanda, I was reading the report that they were getting something like three and a half thousand dollars a month, whereas the DRC soldiers were getting maybe three hundred dollars a month. Yeah, you know, and these guys were brought in to protect the minds because again it goes back to money.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, platal resources, not people. That's a different thing. So what if those like those African led peacekeeping missions look like like you talked about these various like international and regional groups.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's certainly worth a try, because dun hasn't the ability, need the money izume to keep doing these large, big missions. At one stage, the three largest missions were MENUSCO, which were discussing MINUSCA and the Central African Republic, and MINUSMA, which was in Mali. Mali's gone, DRC is on the drawdown. Central African Republic is still there, but I've noticed I spent four years there and obviously have a keen interest in the place. But there has been a big increase in anti anti French with a Francophone country. Yeah, anti French and linked with a kind of an anti UN sentiment. No, the special advisor to the President is from Russia. Wagner, you had a big part to play when I was there. There were key players.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Most likely they're inter linked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and they've done some things which are horrific in terms. We've covered that as well with the print Derma on the show. I did want to talk about this because the US is talking about withdrawing its sort of what we call soft power assets right around the world, and I saw, like I forget who it was saying, like, oh, let the chips fall where they may. It's very obvious where the chips will fall in this part of the world, right like when I was in Rwanda. Every fancy road in Rwanda they call them Chinese roads because they go from the mind to the airport beltion braces. It's as naked a resource extraction project as you'll see right now. China also does a soft power thing. They'll build hospitals and these. You know, I forget where the quote comes from, but like every time the US comes we get a lecture and every time China comes, we get a hospital. This will reorient the way these countries, specifically in Africa, associate with the world right with the US draw down and the United Nations not capable or willing of sort of doing these massive peacekeeping missions. And I think for very understandable reasons, groups like the EU. You know, it's best not to have large deployment to European and unmour what is in Africa for reasons that are probably quite obvious. So like, yeah, we were likely to see I mean, hasn't Wagner rebranded itself as the Africa Core now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure who who's running it now, but I'm sure the strings are being more closely pulled by by Putin as opposed to having very loose control when Pregosi was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was given him like a standoff capability, was right, This is just a PMC, nothing to do with me. Yeah, but I would imagine after his drive to Moscow and a subsequent demise, I'm sure that whoever is running the Africa Core is much more tightly controlled by the criminal I would I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a British India Company kind of model, like a sort of proxy colonialism, but very tight. Like you say, it's just almost just like a different badge on the same thing there. I think this is one of the things that won't get talked about in the next four years because the US media will talk about the US a lot. Again, I mean they always do. But I think people should be concerned about this about the future for like multi national peacekeeping in Africa, and more importantly, I guess the future for or interlink without the future for human rights in Africa. What do you see as like meaningful ways that people can advocate for a future for Africa which is not just another set of countries extracting resources and leaving very little for the people there, which is something that has happened. You know, I'm a British person. This has happened by British people for a very long time and other European people for a very long time. But like that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to stop it happening in the future.
Speaker 3: That's a difficult one to answer, because yeah, ideally African problems should, in my opinion, be solved by African nations, and that's the reason that the African Union and all these other ones that I mentioned I think are an attempt to do that. Yeah, And certainly Europe and the US shouldn't be dictating how Africans government themselves. They should be assisting in good governance, good policing, good judiciary. But it kind of goes back to money again, because there's so much of a vested interest. I heard a figure that twenty three were getting eight hundred thousand dollars a month from some of the mines in the Kivus. I believe, so, well, get that kind of money floating around, a lot of people maybe don't want to sort things out, and it may suit to leave the mayhem there and use all these artisanal miners who are getting paid a couple of cents a day. And Rwanda has just got a big contract with the EU in terms of diamonds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is the thing, right, we can hell where this stuff comes from, Like there is a means to try and limit the amount of these resources which you can leave conflict zones in a way which benefits belligerent parties. It's where the markets for those resources are willing to do it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And everyone has mistaken the plat whether it's the overseer of the mind, whether it's the company that owns the mind, whether it's the people that move the product from Kivu into someone's neighboring country, and then ultimately the people that bias commercially in Western Europe or around the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's it's not you know, people think of diamonds a lot, and I think people that there's been a kind of movement to purchase diamonds which you're ethically sourced, or to just not use diamonds, to sort of move away from them as like a store of value. But it's also the parts in your mobile phone, isn't it. It's not you know, it's not just like fancy engagement rings because.
Speaker 3: This is it. Yeah, you wouldn't a bit double the price for more ethical mining methods most people probably earn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing, right, and especially when it's out of sight, out of mind for most people, even compared to you know, we obviously genocide Palestinian people or the you know, when we think about these other atrostees, right, like, those have not remained out of sight out of mind, because they're visible in people social media because you know, people in Palestine have phones and they can film, and that's I think meaningfully changed the way. Like I wouldn't have thought American people would care about Palestinian people. I moved here in two thousand and eight, and you wouldn't have found much interest in Palestine.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have expected them to promote ethnic cleansing of guz Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know you well, you wouldn't have expected that either. But the movement like to support Palestinian people from the grassroots and then also the government doing the exact opposite. You know, It's come from the bottom up. It hasn't come from like government advocacy. But we don't see that as much with certainly this part of Africa, right like, and it's I expose it's contro it's goings of like people in Congo maybe aren't able to access those global networks of like social media and maybe to share their stories, you know. And I think it's also a consequence of us in the media not reporting at all, you know, Like I've for years tried to sell stories about Africa to American publications and at best they'll want a story about like the people who are starting like social enterprise European or North American people starting like social enterprises or like sort of beneficial companies. And I understand it's have a role, but like, you're not going to persuade me that there isn't a single African person of interest to you, and that like it's someone who came from North America that is the only relevant story to tell in Africa. And like I've had this falling out with so many editors over the years that like, no, I don't want to tell that story. I want to tell a story about people from Congo and Congo, about people from Rwanda and Rwanda.
Speaker 3: I live in the town towards the west coast of Iland, and there's a guy from there. What I'll do is I'll send you a link. Yeah, yeah, but he's passionate about getting free education in Africa, between online courses and online libraries. Obviously, the more education you get, the better chance you have of having a better life. So yeah, I think of some stuff and I'll send an Auntie and then you can figure out whether it'll be an interesting topic or whatever. But I just literally as we were talking, I was thinking of how one guy is trying to change conditions for younger people in Africa and trying to give it to them for free.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, that's the key. It is like people doing it. One of the things that people did which I thought was really great as an example as a model, is from October about October the tenth of twenty twenty three. I suppose people weren't going to school or university in Gaza, and very quickly there weren't any universities in Gaza because they all got bombed. Right, the colleagues of mine in academic departments started putting on seminars and lectures that Palestinian people, be they displaced or still in Gaza, but with access to internet, you know it's still displaced but internally displaced, could attend and continue with their educations. And I thought that was a really great, like solidarity based way to facilitate access to something that people have had taken away from them through no fault. There weren't by state aggression.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, there's a model for that. I mean, colonialism has done many terrible things, but it's given us a common language with a lot of our African friends. You know, you speak French and English, you can do quite well, So like, yeah, there are things available, and I wish people would I don't think people should stop caring about Palestine, of course I don't, but I do wish they would care more about people in Africa too, because like, they don't deserve this any more than anyone else.
Speaker 3: I was born in nineteen sixty when the first mission went to to the Congo. Yeah, and it's been going on, like I'm sixty four, it's been around sixty four years. Yeah, so no more than the problem with the Palestiniots, I think some people, unless you have a specific interest in it or feel passionate about it, a lot of people just I think, chuwe out and to go to the next pronouncement from the White House, you know, clickbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think it's a sad fact, but it's the factor I.
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah, yeah, it's a shame. And like you know, if there's one thing I'd like to do with my career, I'd like to spend more time in that part of the world and do more reporting. And I think we could do a lot with as a media with just explaining how life is for everyday people, because people think about Congo in terms of yeah, the m twenty three in the Congolese government and who too, militias and this and that, But the vast majority of people are just trying to get on with their day. You know, they want a better future for their children. Yeah, and you know the fact that your mobile phone it's cheap, it's maybe making their children's future worse. And that's something that we need to reckon with. And e cares Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean this is the thing. People don't talk about electric cars. It's so as weird. It's all that stuff come and then even here in America right whether the US trying to mind lithium on reservations where you know the land there's little land it's left indigenous people to have sovereignty on it's where it's now trying to do this very invasive form of mining. Kevin, you've written a book, So would you like to as we wind down here, do you want to expend a little bit about about your books so that if people are interested in your life and your time as a peacekeeper and an archaeologist.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what starts on off as a lockdown Prodridge. When COVID hit back in the day, I decided I would write an account of my weird of wonderful life for my just from my family, and we'll just start writing as or no doubt where you start remembering. And suddenly I was at something like a hundred thousand words and I thought, right, there might be a book in this. And I know, obviously I'm opinionated about my own book naturally, but it's not just a book about some random military guy waffling on about his military career. I've a separate career in mountaineering and kind of nearly a separate career in archaeology, so it's it's a mixture of soldiering, mountaineering and archaeology. As someone said it to me, it's a bit like Chris Bonnington meets Bear Grills meets Indiana Jones, which is a weird and wonderful way to do. So the title of the book is a Lifeless Ordinary, which this was a recruiting slogo in the nineteen nineties for the Irish Defense Forces. I think I'll sent you the link yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If not, I'll do it yeah immediately, so all your viewers can can order the book. You can only get it online at the publishers. It's not on Amazon at first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well maybe maybe fore the best given the way tech people are playing the US economy. Yeah, you can. You can get it online. You can get it sent to the United States if you interest dated. I did. Thank you so much for your time, Kevin. You're insights today. I know we really appreciate it. Is there anywhere else if people want to follow you online? Aside from the book?
Speaker 3: The book is probably the best one. What is probably the best way to get in comment? I'm on LinkedIn and yeah, the normal stuff. Just google Kevin McDonald and I should, I should come up. I was resisting for years and years, and eventually I googled Kevin McDonald and I was surprised at the amount of Kevin McDonald's There is a famous American actor I think called Kevin McDonald. Yeah, yeah, but I just as a small parting shot when when I was in Mali, I was researching the archaeology of Mali, and the world expert on Malayane archaeology is a professor, naturally, Kevin mac donald. So I sent him an am here and I said, by the way, I'm also an archaeologist and my name is Kevin McDonald, and he goes my words. I'd be in Bungi are in Bamaco in two weeks time. Let's meet. So the two Kevin McDonald's two archaeologists met up in Bamaco to discuss archaeology.
Speaker 2: So that's nice when these things kept.
Speaker 3: Again another one of my word and wonderful stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well, thanks so much for joining us to Kevin. So it's nice to hiss me.
Speaker 3: You're more than welcome, Jims.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can now find sources for It Could Happen Here listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.