Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome, It's Sunday.
Speaker 2: Here's the Sunday sampler from the Nashville Podcast Network. We're gonna start with Take This Personally. It's from Morgan number two. She talked with a friendship coach. Never heard of this before. Danielle Bear Jackson is her name, and she shares her expertise on how to make friends as an adult and how it's hard to maintain friendships when life gets super busy.
Speaker 1: So we'll hear this.
Speaker 2: We have four things coming up with Amy Brown, Sore Losers movie, Mike the Bobby Cast, all of that on the way. Hopefully, if you hear something you like, you go and subscribe to the podcast. But here's a clip of this week's episode of Take This Personally with Morgan Hulsman.
Speaker 3: Personality, Let's get duels Man.
Speaker 4: Danielle Bayer Jackson is a female friendship coach and educator who speaks nationally on the subject of friendship as a wellness imperative. Her business, friend Forward is dedicated to teaching women how to create and maintain better female friendships. Danielle, how are you doing today?
Speaker 5: I'm doing okay. I'm really glad that you brought me on to lend my voice to this conversation because it's so important.
Speaker 4: Say you have a client who is nearly starting from scratch with female friendships, what would the beginning process look like for them to start finding some really solid friendships.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a great question, and I'm so glad you asked it, because, as you can imagine, hands down, that is the number one question. It's always how do I make friends? But it typically comes with some kind of qualifier. So how do I make friends? As a woman with social anxiety? How do I make friends? As a woman in a new city? How do I make friends? So I hope it shows us that we'll always be making new friends. And so the first step is more of a mindset, and it's to shake off any shame you have about having to start from scratch, that it's not something you should have figured out by now. You're not behind. There's not something wrong with you if you look around and you're like, oh my gosh, I don't have people. In fact, research tells us that on average, we replace about half of our friends every seven years. And so you might be in a season where you're like, oh gosh, I'm in a pruning season. And I have space to invite new connections. So the first step is to shake off the shame. The second thing I'd tell you is to look at the people who are already in your life, because research also tells us that a lot of the friends we have are also serving in some kind of other role. So they might also be your cousin, They might also be your hairstylists, they might also be your coworker. So if that's the case, look around at who already exists and you've dismissed them for whatever reason as a potential friend. And what would happen if you looked at them in like a new way? Is the first thing. Then I like to say, become a regular somewhere because that familiarity makes it more comfortable for us to start a friendship. And so especially those of us who are working from home. A lot of us are in the house all day. We don't get out and about maybe you can commit to like working from a coffee shop every Friday at the same time, or walking your dog at like the same time, you know, every day. I'll pause here because I know some women are like, we can't have routines. We have to be careful and I heard as a safety precaution, and that's true. So you know, adapt this is to fit your lifestyle. How can you become a regular somewhere? How can you breathe familiarity with the people who work there and the other people who come there every Friday morning to work out of their house too, So bringing that familiarity. And then the last tip I'll give, because I can do this all day, is to make your desire known and so use social media to say, oh yeah, moving to Austin and looking to see if anybody has any recommendations, or text a friend or an acquaintance who's a super extrovert and just say hey, I'm just trying to get more plugged in. I thought of you because you're always out and about and doing some cool stuff. Is there anything around town we're checking out? Because they're either going to give you recommendations or they're going to invite you to be there. Plus one, they might say, oh my god, yes we do happy hour every Tuesday. You have to come. But no one's going to be able to meet your need for new connections if you're too embarrassed to let people know that you want new connections.
Speaker 4: I feel like, that first step is so important because if you just live in that shame, you're never going to do any of the other steps. You're just going to sit there and say, I'm too embarrassed to try this, so I'm just going to be alone forever, exactly. And there's finding friends, and there's also finding friends who lift you up, add to your life, empower you. They're what I like to call my deep connections versus my surface level friends. How do we ensure that we can find and cultivate those kind of friendships that are empowering more than they are surface level.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm so glad you asked that, because sometimes the conversation does become about like finding new people, which is so great and you need to have that skill. But then sometimes I'm like, well, how are you going deep with the friends you already have? How can you make that more meaningful? Right, because some of us feel a sense of loneliness because all our friendships are superficial in terms of creating more depth. The first thing I would say is look at how vulnerable you're being. And I know vulnerability is like a hot topic, but I do want to correct one misconception. I think people think vulnerability means let me tell you about my biggest trauma. Let me tell you about this big thing and self disclose. The best way I've heardlnerbility to find is you are willing to take a risk of rejection. And so I'm going to tell you something. Oh, I know, I might look weak, I might look weird, I might look I'm gonna do it anyway, because research shows that we tend to like people who are vulnerable with us. It kind of humanizes them, It's kind of endearing, and so open up a little bit appropriately, especially in the beginning, to go a little bit deeper. Also, try to take your relationships off auto pilot. Sometimes with the same friends, we do the same things, we do the same happy hour at the same place. It's okay, the same way. In a romantic relationship where it feels kind of dry, you're like, we need to jazz this up. Same thing. Maybe you're on default with your friends. Can you infuse new life by operating on a different social backdrop or trying something totally out of the box together, because those shared experiences genuinely do really connect you. And then the final thing I'll say, and this is going to sound so from left Field, ask your friends for help.
Speaker 2: We love talking about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And I think I'm still a voting member after this second that we did where I probably revealed too much about the voting process.
Speaker 1: Thank god, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I didn't get a second voting slip for the year. But I also didn't get told I'm not so I don't know. Oh, but I was never told I was kicked out. Do you normally get your voting slip by now?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've only ever had it once.
Speaker 6: Everyone it was, But.
Speaker 2: They now are doing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Voice your choice, And I don't think if you win it you get in, but I think it factors in, like it's part of.
Speaker 1: Like a percentage of the overall.
Speaker 6: And anyone can vote. This is just anyone in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, because you.
Speaker 2: Can do it by visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm just going to read some of these here, so the raw. Okay, here's what the deal is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you vote on that website when they do that, that is a percentage this that you do. There is just them kind of wanting to know. But I think it could also like secretly affect the people that are making the decisions. So there is one online pull the matters.
Speaker 6: But here you go.
Speaker 1: I'll read you a person, and you just tell me if you think they should be in the rock and Wall got it, And it's like do they deserve to be in there now?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, because well, you can only get in if it's like twenty five years past your first album. Okay, and these all these people meet that required it, maybe twenty I should know this as a voting member, you should.
Speaker 1: I only look at the people they give me and go, do they deserve it? Mike?
Speaker 2: Will you let us know when you figure that out it's either twenty after their first album or twenty five.
Speaker 8: But okay, here we go. The Cranberries, Yes, no, I don't think that I have a body big enough. I answer it way too quickly. I mean because they got they got jams and they were a staple. They got like three bops, like Dreams, they got like Zombie, hold on, hold on, hold on Linger that's it.
Speaker 1: Shoot, those are the only three bangers they got.
Speaker 6: Do you have to let it? Lingers a bit.
Speaker 1: Some by interesting dreams.
Speaker 6: My love.
Speaker 1: Every way got it? That's dreams, Mike. We cranberried up. See what they're fourth? There's one more.
Speaker 2: But even if it's four, I don't think that's enough to get in the Rock and Hall.
Speaker 1: And it is twenty five years by the way. Okay, okay, I mean that works. But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 8: I may have answered that one way too quick because I do like the Cranberries. But you're you're talking like maybe two albums that I remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there. But to be fair, if you have an album that.
Speaker 2: Is transcendent, for example, Oasis, like I think Oasis should be in the Rock and Hall of Fame, and they really only have one massive album, their second album.
Speaker 1: Okay, the fourth list that is Oh to my Family.
Speaker 6: My father.
Speaker 1: You're making that up, my mother? Are you making I swear that's how it goes. I'm swhere that's how that song goes.
Speaker 6: Are you making that?
Speaker 7: Nope?
Speaker 8: You think just because I said I heard family, Yeah, I went right to father them.
Speaker 1: That's what she says.
Speaker 2: That's a jam number one, Linger too, Zombie number three, Oh to my Family, it has.
Speaker 1: Oh I know this song, dude, dude, you remember.
Speaker 9: My father.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 8: I'm telling you man, okay, but you know what, now that you say that Oasis with one good album, I'm want to put Cranberries in.
Speaker 2: This is Sunday, I remember this one. I don't think they can't because the lead sing or die. But I don't think if the Cranbers were united right now that there would be like a oh my god, everybody guess what they're back together. You're right, I do like Cranberries, but rock and Hall of Fame I don't think so. Okay, but it's not saying you're wrong, yeah, nor is it saying that I'm right.
Speaker 8: I did answer it very quickly, but I'm going to stand behind it.
Speaker 2: Smith's I don't get the smith Why are the Smiths so popular in Mexico, in southern Texas and Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very Latino, extreme huge in California. I don't know why. I just always loved him and I don't know why. I guess because of Mexican.
Speaker 6: Who are the Smiths like?
Speaker 7: Give me a morrisey?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Why is Morsey so loved by Hispanics, Mexicans and Latinos?
Speaker 1: I think it's his voice, just that suit because he's not he has kind of like that old school vibe to him. But he's not Mexican. No, he's white.
Speaker 9: He's like white.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I never knew, and I was never like a I'm not a hater. I was never a fan, but I remember my friends being like, yeah, Mexicans love him, Like really, I say this as a Mexican big in like the Trolo community. Well I'm not crazy for saying that, right.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, wow, cast up little food for yourself.
Speaker 7: Life.
Speaker 6: Oh it's pretty bad. It's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 9: Thing beautiful that for.
Speaker 6: A little more said he you're kicking with full with Amy Brown.
Speaker 10: All right, So I'm going to talk about hate following. This could be a hobby that you are participating in and you don't even realize it. Now, after I tell you about hate following, I'm going to share with you a hobby that can make you happier, because hate following definitely does not. But I did see the happy hobby situation multiple times this week. I saw articles when I was on social media when I was searching news prep for the Bobby Bone Show, and I was like, oh, this could be worth noting because this type of hobby might be something we could all do, and maybe it's just the nudge you need to finally do it. I will give you a hint. Therapy Cat has already started something like this, and who knew she was onto something?
Speaker 11: So hate following is a thing.
Speaker 10: Again. We may not know that we're doing it, but it's a social media habit that we fall into. If you follow people with perfect photos or someone who posts offensive political things that you don't agree with, you might be hate following. A behavioral psychologist named Denise Dudley was talking about how you don't know you're doing this destructive behavior, but when you hate follow, you're secretly hoping for a politically incorrect slip up or a bad hair day to make yourself feel a little bit better about your own life. And sometimes we hate follow people who seem to have it all just to remind ourselves why we.
Speaker 12: Don't like them.
Speaker 10: And the problem with that is hate following creates stress, anxiety, low self esteem, or even depression. So experts suggest to unfollow the people who fit the category and move on. I will say that I went through my feed and I couldn't say one hundred percent I was hate following, But when I used some of this article to assess like, do I really like this person? Do I align with this person? How do I feel after I watch this person? And then I thought, oh, sometimes when maybe they mess up or it seems like their life isn't as perfect as I thought, do I feel a little bit better about my own life when I see that happen? And I was able to answer yes to that. So being honest here, I unfollowed someone that fit that category, So make sure you're not hate following. I didn't realize I was doing it, and experts say a lot of people are doing it, and yeah, we don't even realize it. Now on to more positive hobby news. Taking up arts and crafts could be a game changer in your happiness. So if you want to lower cortisol levels and have overall better well being, simply take up an arts and crafts hobby.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: See therapy cat. She's been onto this with her painting. Like if you go over to her house at her kitchen table, she just has this whole arts and crafts bin in the corner now and then on the table she'll just have a blank canvas and some paint so she can bust it out at any time. But it doesn't have to even be as complicated as paint and a canvas and all the things like you can just draw if you want to. Doctor Helen Keyes, a cognitive psychologist, just released a new study talking about this, and she said that engaging with arts and crafts is accessible and affordable, and options such as knitting and drawing require very little tools and can be so engaging and creatively fulfilling. And people in the study reported more happiness, better life satisfaction, and sense of lives being worthwhile if they were participating in an arts and craft project. So, guys, this is really simple. I think we can all do this. And you know, I was talking about that event I went to last night for music teachers and hearing all the stories and seeing all the kids play their in instruments. I got a little annoyed at my mom that she let me quit piano when I was a kid. And I was encouraged though that even at forty three, I could start taking piano lessons make that a hobby. It's not going to be guitar for me. I took lessons several years ago and my fingers hurt so bad, Like I just don't know that that's gonna be a thing for me. But piano I think I could get into. And I looked up some of the benefits of playing piano. Stress management came up, creativity in the brain, improve coordination, self esteem, improves concentration, enhanced memory, math improvement. I mean, the list goes on, improved mental health, neuroplasticity, focus, goal setting, cultural enrichment.
Speaker 11: Why would my mom take me out of that?
Speaker 10: So now at forty three, because I have a keyboard at my house, I don't have a piano, but I do think I could start taking some piano lessons and.
Speaker 11: Add that to my hobby belt.
Speaker 10: But if you have ADHD like me, you know that we like to start a lot of hobbies and not necessarily complete them. But I'm working on that maybe this could be something that I follow through with and I do. And so I'm going to get my arts and crafts little section at my house set up, and I'm gonna get my little keyboard set up. And these are to be some hobbies that are going to add to my life. And I still want to add my garden to my backyard too, which I've gardened before and I loved that so much that I can't wait to bring it back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do it live.
Speaker 9: We are the one, two, three Sore Losers. What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 13: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife.
Speaker 6: We do have a farm.
Speaker 13: It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 9: Over to you, coach, And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. My dad has a tendency to get lost, and so we do the pod on Wednesday and he's like, man, I need a cigarette. But he's like, I left the cigarettes at the house. I was like, well, I got to record some commercials. You want to just hang out? Why record commercials and then we can go get your cigarettes. He's like, no, where's the gas station around here. I'm gonna just walk and get cigarettes. He said, all right, you're gonna walk out the back alley right, hit that street, take a right, and you walk go down to the end of the block inside on your left hand side on the corner.
Speaker 13: I don't know about the take a right from the alley. You'd actually want to take a left. No, no, no, if you walk straight out here, straight out of here, straight out the back door, straight out the back door, and are we in the alley or I'm making a right on the album.
Speaker 9: Now walk through the alley till the next street, Like, buy the parking garage in the street, and you would take it. You take it right, walk down gas station on the corner, no problem, Send him on his way, Send him with my wallet because he doesn't have his wallet with him. And I get done with the commercials and he's not back yet, and I'm like, you know what, I'll just drive down the road and I'll see him walking.
Speaker 13: He's playing dice with a couple of hoboes.
Speaker 7: There was a nice looking lady that wanted to talk.
Speaker 9: I was like, Okay, he'll just be walking back, you know, smoking a cigarette. And I drive from here to that little convenience store no toolbox, oh no, And I'm like, oh god, where could he be at this point? Did you think he died? I didn't think he died. I just thought this dude is way lost. He could be. You know, I'm worried he's near the Cumberland. I don't know, too soon, too soon, And so I call him. I said, where are you? He goes, I don't know. I'm at some shell station.
Speaker 13: Ah, I know where he went.
Speaker 9: And I'm like, shell station, How did you get all the way over there? That's like a mile from the STATIONE blew.
Speaker 13: Through the closest gas station and Jeff dog golling and found like three blocks.
Speaker 9: Oh you know, he went like a mile. I'm a long sixty five.
Speaker 7: He goes. He goes, I'm at sad to get my steps in.
Speaker 9: He goes, I'm at seventeenks had to get your steps. Did you check them on your watch?
Speaker 7: I checked him on my wife.
Speaker 9: He goes, I'm at seventeenth and something. I was like, I know where you're at. He goes, oh shit, I just walked out of the store with a drink. I gotta go back in armed raw.
Speaker 7: I was trying to find the street sign and he was in.
Speaker 9: The middle of drinking his drink while he's getting cigarettes. So then I I'm like, I'll be there, and he goes, I'm gonna get charged for shoplifting. I'm gonna go back in the store. I said, I'll be right there.
Speaker 7: I thought I was ray there. I was getting all nervous. Ah, you weren't parked though, You're good.
Speaker 9: So I pull in the parking lot and he's just standing there with his arms folded. And he gets in the car and I said, fold it in front of him or behind him? In front of him? I said, you get your cigarettes. He goes no, and I said, well, where's your drink? He goes, I gave it back to him.
Speaker 1: I was like, what do you mean.
Speaker 9: He goes, well, I tried to buy cigarettes and they asked me for my ID. What a disaster, he goes, and I didn't have my I D. So I said I don't have my idea. He goes, I can't sell you the cigarettes, and.
Speaker 7: I said, I got my son's and he goes, no, you gotta have yours.
Speaker 9: And he goes, if my son's forty three, you think I'm older than eighteen. And the guy goes, can't sell without your ID. And then he goes, you want to buy that drink. My dad goes, no, you can keep it. He'd already drink half of it. What a company man, he had drinking half the coke. And he was so pissed off that he just left the coke there and said.
Speaker 7: No, you can keep it. Ridiculous. Yeah, that's I said, can I buy a gun?
Speaker 9: And they said sure here, and so I said, do you want me to go in and get your cigarettes? He goes, not at this place. I'll just go when we get home. I'm all right, Well that was fun.
Speaker 13: Ah there, I'll take some Virginia slims.
Speaker 9: So no, it's Marlboro lights. Soft pack. No, no, no hard pack. I don't know if they do soft pack. But yes, that was my dad's adventure. He ended up. Instead of going one block to a gas station, he walked one over a mile away.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I still don't believe there's a gas station there. It didn't look like one to me.
Speaker 13: I heard the directions in the hallway, and he just didn't give him as emphatically as he should have.
Speaker 9: You know, he was right past it.
Speaker 13: It's right next to us. It's him, though anybody could miss. It doesn't look like a gas station. It looks like a house without a gas that would be it.
Speaker 7: I'm sitting there looking for seven to eleven shell whatever.
Speaker 9: He was looking for gas pumps. There are no gas pumps at this place.
Speaker 7: Well then, how's it called a gas station?
Speaker 13: But you'll know when you get in there, because the guy's always got horse racing on and he's betting it.
Speaker 7: Woh oh.
Speaker 9: He's got that newspaper rolled up and he is looking at the Oh, we're going to start.
Speaker 7: He told me it's a convenience store, and he told me a gas station, So I mean, what are you going to look for gas pumps out front?
Speaker 9: But then I'm shocked he was able to find the shell because he had walk through the hotel like parking lot all the way across two blocks. See the a loft, look up to your right. Huh, there's a shell. Then he has to cross Broadway. I mean, how many streets did you curs? That's what I'm saying, is all to get turned down for the cigarettes because the guy was a jack. And then that's the problem. That's the problem. What is the big deal? Like he obviously is older than eighteen years old.
Speaker 7: Some people think I look young enough. I'm eighteen.
Speaker 9: Okay, it's obvious you're eighteen years old. It is obvious when you walk in there that you are eighteen years old. Why do we waste the time of Oh, I need to see your ID. I can't sell you cigarettes. It is so stupid.
Speaker 7: Agreed?
Speaker 13: Well, I took the alcohol and tobacco class. And actually the loop around with that is maybe the camera has to see with the ID. But if you say how old are you? Or are you eighteen? And they you can't lie if you're a sting operation. So that's all you have to say. So dude, when I was at Texas State, hey man, uh yeah, cool, you're good to go. That's how I saved every time ten seconds. I never scanned an ID in two years.
Speaker 9: When I was in Dublin. Guess how many times they asked for your ID? Zero.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't think there's a age for drinking or anything there. I think you can drink as long as you.
Speaker 9: I don't think a twelve year old can drink.
Speaker 7: Well, I think if you're with your parents, I think it's okay.
Speaker 13: I don't I have no idea, I don't know. I just I'm just saying the whole time. The whole time here in Dublin. You didn't ask the one question that was mind boggling us all, how old do you have to be to drink? When there's a kid that's eight years old drinking.
Speaker 1: Next to you?
Speaker 9: I didn't see an eight year old drinking next to me, and I said.
Speaker 13: You'd rather hear about the man you rivalry. How the guy turned to Dublin. My dad slapped me and said.
Speaker 9: You're never rooting for them, they're the bad guy.
Speaker 13: I'd have been like, shot the fuck up? Answer my question? How old do you have to be to drink here?
Speaker 7: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Instead, you went on.
Speaker 13: A whole diatribe about why the guy rooted for somebody else because his dad slapped him with his belt. As a kid, who gives a hell buddy? Where's the hot chicks? And how old do you have to be to drink? I get what I want when people start talking gibber jabbern and I get my information. I don't give it.
Speaker 7: But you were twelve and you got hit with a belt. Awesome, cool, go maze gibber jabbering.
Speaker 9: Now do you think man, you's gonna win today? That's all I care? What are the bud guys?
Speaker 7: That's how we left England.
Speaker 9: Shut up, who wins the game tonight? I need some skag?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's what I was looking for. They didn't ask for an ID for that, but.
Speaker 9: It said, hey, do you need an ID for skag?
Speaker 1: Hey it's Mike d And This week a Movie Mike's Movie Podcast, I gave my top ten examples of the best work in voice acting when it comes to animation. I think voice acting is far underappreciated. When on a giant ran about why it should be included in the oscars and included some of my favorite moments in movie history. I'll share a few with you now, but be sure to check out this full episode. Here's just a little bit of Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. At number four, I have Tom Hanks voicing Woody in the Toy Story franchise one, two, three, and four and soon to be five, six, seven, eight, nine, and ten. And Tom Hanks is one of those people who, unlike George Clooney, I do watch him in movies and thinks, man, he has just a great voice. Because not only does he have great facial expressions and mannerisms and just a great presence on the screen, he has a voice with a lot of range. Particularly when Tom Hanks gets excited is my favorite thing, and not often do we get it. But when he gets angry is also really great. But he usually doesn't really play characters that get angry a whole lot. He is primarily the good guy in movies. Whenever he is a villain, it's like, oh, weird Tom Hanks as a villain. But I think this particular moment in Toy Story one where he is fighting with Buzz Lightyear and shows how much control he has with his voice to really make you feel that emotion. Here's the scene I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: What what are you talking about? You are toy?
Speaker 9: You weren't the real buzz like you're You're an accent fig yard.
Speaker 7: You are a child plaything.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, good written Sillney, because you hear him getting mad, but it also has a comedic tone to it.
Speaker 9: I love what he gets really frustrated.
Speaker 1: That is just voice acting at its finest, and the range she has with what you Loan to make you laugh, to make you feel something there that he has a little bit more of a tone of anger, but then also to make you feel that sadness. The ending of Toy Story three, so long partner.
Speaker 7: Ah, that is so good.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that they almost made Woody a ventriloquist doll in Toy Story. That was the original design of the character. Then they thought, oh, this looks a little bit too freaky, and they decided to change Woody and make them a cowboy instead, because, Ah, kids would probably be more inclined to want to play with a cowboy than a creepy ventriloquist doll. I think if you would have been the ventriloquist, it would have reminded me of Slappy from Goosebumps, and I would have been terrified. Every kid in the nineties would have been terrified, and Toy Story probably would have tanked. So I'm glad they switched Woody to be a cowboy at number three. I have Eddie Murphy voicing Donkey in the Shrek films, which they are coming out with a new Shrek movie, not for a couple of years. I think it's supposed to come out July first, twenty twenty six. I kind of forgot about Shrek four, one, two, and three were so big. Four came a little bit later, so I feel like my excitement was a little bit watered down to the fact that Shrek four did exist. But even more so than Mike Myers's performance as Shrek, I think the true standout star is Eddie Murphy. Along the same lines of Tom Hanks. Eddie also has such great control over his voice. But the reason I rank him just a little bit higher is because I think Eddie Murphy on his own is just funnier. He has the stand up experience, he has all the characters he played on SNL, and I think he was born to do comedy. And I wouldn't have thought that his best work would come in the world of animation. But he is just so dynamic as Donkey. This is still hands down my favorite performance of his out of any of the movies.
Speaker 6: Night Only.
Speaker 7: It's Gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: We can see him late swapping manless stars and in the morning, I'm making waffles.
Speaker 9: We do I sleep outside?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's cool.
Speaker 7: I mean I don't know you and you don't know me, so I guess outside is best. You know, here I go.
Speaker 1: That clip right there encompasses everything, the comedy, the sadness, the range of Adie Murphy. Steven Spielberg actually bought the rights to the book that Shrek is based on, even though Shrek is just a big parody of all the Disney fairy tales and that's kind of what these movies served as in the two thousands, But he originally wanted to make a little bit more of a traditional animated film, and he wanted Bill Murray to be the voice of Shrek and Steve Martin to be the voice of Donkey. I think that would have been fine, but it would have had a much different just overall feeling, and no way that Steve Martin would have done as good a job as Donkey. And the other casting change that they had was Chris Farley was actually originally going to be Shrek, and there's test footage with him. Even the character of Shrek is modeled to look like Chris Farley. If you look at them side by side, which the design did change from the first iteration, it kind of resembles what Chris Farley look like. And I think it was a role that Chris Farley was really interested in doing because he was seen for the majority of his career as being the big dumb, fat guy, and as a former big dumb, fat guy, I know what kind of an impact that can have on you, where you have been celebrated for all the wacky things you do, falling down, getting hurt, saying ridiculous things. Sometimes you just want somebody to take you seriously. And I think Shrek was going to be that for him. And if you listen to this clip of him and Eddie Murphy doing some early lines with some very rough animations, you can really hear that in his voice.
Speaker 7: Oh this is one of those onion things.
Speaker 1: No, this is one of those drop it and leave me alone things.
Speaker 7: Well, why don't you want to talk about him?
Speaker 1: Why do you want to talk about it?
Speaker 7: Why you answer the question with a question?
Speaker 6: Why are you asking questions?
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer.
Speaker 7: Why are you blocking?
Speaker 10: I'm not blocking?
Speaker 7: Then why do you have problems expressing your wonts?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 9: I want you to shut up?
Speaker 6: See no problem.
Speaker 9: You're just displacing your anger.
Speaker 1: Believe me, it's properly placed. You're really mad.
Speaker 7: Whoever did this to you?
Speaker 6: No one did anything to me?
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, someone hurts you so bad.
Speaker 7: Someone hurts you many years ago.
Speaker 1: Beat my parents out of this right through. And I would have paid to see that movie more so than I would have paid to see Mike Myers version, even though that is the version we know and love, but he has like this weird iron accent that I think is still an interesting choice on Shrek. So that's why I didn't include Mike Myers on this list. I included Eddie Murphy. But if you would have had the version with Chris Farley and Eddie Murphy, I think Chris Farley would be on this list just from that performance alone, and again that is very raw, but you hear that real acting ability in his voice and also him getting angry there is like classic Chris Farley. I think that would have been a but on the list at number three is Eddie Murphy as Donkey in Trick.
Speaker 6: Cary. She's a queen and talking and she's getting really not afraid to fas so just let it flow. No one can do it quiet car Line. It sound like Caroline.
Speaker 3: She is a magical little girl and like we we call her the Fomo baby because she just really wanted to be here, her girl.
Speaker 14: But it's crazy a thought, how fear and faith are just such a close line after you know, like it's like on that they walk the same line exactly like I.
Speaker 12: Felt like God took me to literally the edge of my tolerance.
Speaker 14: Like you said, I'm gonna broak in all your like I'm gonna push you as far as you can with your fear, the worst, like the.
Speaker 12: Worst version of me, like the most broken version of these where I got taken to and then the redemption ever since then is just incredible, like joy, love like tenfold. It trumps the fear, brokenness, pain. Yeah, it makes me like want to do that again. I would even go on bed rest again for you.
Speaker 6: Would I would?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would?
Speaker 14: Do you feel like going to that dark place so opened you up to a place of love that you couldn't have experienced otherwise.
Speaker 12: Yes, it opened me up to connections with people. I finally learned how to like lean on people because Maddie knows I'm a very guarded, reserved person. It's hard to pull the layers out of it.
Speaker 11: I'm like an onion.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, every five years I get like I go in the Tay friendship bomb where she's like, yeah, so I got to tell you about this thing, and I'm like what, And it's just like I should know everything by like this truth bomb.
Speaker 14: But no, it's it's like the best though, because our personalities. It's we are you an open book and you're a shot book.
Speaker 11: Yes, absolutely, it's.
Speaker 3: Perfect, like and she kind of has taught me how to like, hey, we don't.
Speaker 11: Have to share, you know, and that's key. I'm the same as you.
Speaker 3: Overshrry over shary is actually a little milky boot.
Speaker 14: And I don't know if that's lying, but over sharing it leaks your energy out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 12: And I'm I'm a minimal energy kind of gal, so I can only give when when I can.
Speaker 11: But I think that clo being so close came from.
Speaker 12: I think it's just my nature. Like I'm again just like a minimal I'm not low energy because I.
Speaker 11: I've got high vibes. Vibes minimal energy. Okay, get your energy rested.
Speaker 9: And I have this phrase that we use.
Speaker 12: Like it's called coins, and it's like how many coins do you have today?
Speaker 5: And it's like your energy.
Speaker 12: So you look up with five coins and then interactions take one coin, and then a bad traffic stop takes another coin and all that stuff, and I probably wake up every day with like three coins, so.
Speaker 11: You're tired every day.
Speaker 12: I'm like I relate to you on that yeah, always tired, You're just like vibeing, Like are you.
Speaker 11: Just always kind of observing people?
Speaker 14: Yes, oh yeah, and like kind of like taking it all in, yeah, and like assessing the situation. It takes a lot of energy to constantly be assessing the situation too. And I love as you're feeling the energy out. Like I can walk into a room and immediately I'm like, I feel the vibes. I'm like, I know exactly where someone is on the frequency level of like totally what we're going to be dealing with.
Speaker 3: I can tell if I'm going to like someone, like by the minute I lock eyes with them, I'm just like and not in a bitchy way, but just like if you're a match mm yeah, an energy mat Yeah. Like, especially in this business, we we have found like there's a lot of people with like a.
Speaker 11: Big lot of egos and just from everything in this pain.
Speaker 14: And be around egoy people is exhausting and it's like to be and that takes all your coins, all the coins exactly.
Speaker 1: You get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they're like there's times where T and I just like go in our little corner and we just like and then it's funny because like other people will start coming to our corner and we're like, hey, this is.
Speaker 11: The safe corner. You may not come to a corner you're going to bring your bad energy.
Speaker 6: You got bad energy or.
Speaker 11: An ego problem, you gotta go.
Speaker 3: But if you don't, come on and we're just chilling. Yeah, But the the like big personalities and stuff in this business. Sometimes like we will be the artist that will like sit back and let the other like bigger personalities kind of just like run the thing and we'll just kind of even though I'm extroverted, I ain't trying to put that much energy into like commanding a room.
Speaker 12: I'm like, you know, we got to do that on the stage.
Speaker 11: I ain't got energy for that, just like regularly.
Speaker 14: But learning or to distribute your energy. How to distribute your energy is like a fine art that you have to craft. It is a craft of her superpowers.
Speaker 11: Is okay? Talk to me about that?
Speaker 14: Because crafting that now you got kids, Now you got husbands, Now you're you know, you've been running a successful business now for like a decade.
Speaker 11: You know your women in this business.
Speaker 14: You have a lot, You've got employees, you're putting on shows, you have tour buses. There's so many people like who are relying on y'all, So how do.
Speaker 11: You craft it?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think it just is like a daily conscious effort. I think it was a really big struggle for me in the beginning of our career because I knew that people wanted like more of me, like they kind of expected this bigger personality out of me, and for a while, I like faked it and I was like, wow, like lovely, outgoing, talkative, and then that's what landed me on antidepressants at eighteen. And really, yeah, I was on antidepressants during radio tour, but because I'm like, damn it, I should have done that too.
Speaker 14: Survival tours no joke, no jokes, and especially when we're eighteen.
Speaker 11: Especially back then, you know, there's yeah, we'll write a book, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: But I think that just like that experience really showed us like, Okay, all we have is each other in ourselves. Yeah, no one is going to protect us at all, and so we just like really, you know, I think it kind of turned into a blessing where we just like really went inward and we're.
Speaker 11: Like, Okay, we just have to like we talk to each other through our eyes.
Speaker 3: Like if we're doing an interview and someone has said something that we don't like, whatever, we just look at each other and she doesn't have to say a word, and I just shut it down or she shuts it down.
Speaker 11: It's like, now you have the confidence to shut it down.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, but how empowering that you'll have each other just like it would be kind of terrifying to be at it alone.
Speaker 12: And I don't think I could do it the same. I wouldn't want to do I have gotten ran over.
Speaker 11: And I would have destroyed.
Speaker 6: Should i'd be like.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 11: I was just rid in the corner cry.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to this week's Sunday Sampler.
Speaker 2: If you heard anything you like or you want to hear more, go check it out on the podcast feed just search for the show. New episodes are out weekly, so there's always something to listen to. You guys, have a great week.