Speaker 1: The following He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at.
Speaker 2: The Star in Frisco.
Speaker 1: Touch six SEGMENTUS dot tixis any pain today, touchdown.
Speaker 3: And now your hosts Isaiah Stanback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the SWBC studio. Today we preview the Dallas Cowboys defense taking on the Atlanta Falcons as we officially turned the page to Week nine of the NFL season, alongside Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back, I'm Kyle Yeman's glad you're with us, gentlemen. How are we doing today? We're doing, We're doing, We're doing up. It's Wednesday. Let's see.
Speaker 4: Uh, let's see who practices for the Cowboys today and let's see who doesn't. This is the first day we start to figure out on a weekly basis. This is the latest week we start to figure out if guys like Dron Bland have a chance, if Michael Parsons has a chance, and we'll kind of go from there.
Speaker 2: Do you think anybody has a chance out of those those two?
Speaker 5: Specific walker Michael Parsons better in this game.
Speaker 2: I'm for you. Oh hey, listen, I'm coming for you. I do what I can.
Speaker 6: I've saved, I've hit them with Miyagi.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. You have done like I've done all of this. At least you're doing it. I'm doing my part.
Speaker 4: But no, seriously, man, I'm right there with you. Michael Parsons absolutely needs to be on the field for this game. If he if he can go, then you know, we'll see how it goes. But I mean, Darn Bland is a little bit of a different story in that Whereas Michael Parsons is not on injured reserve, so there's not that decision to be made. The decision has to be made today on if ter Ron Bland is going to be put on the active roster, and if he's not put on the active roster, then he reverts to season ending IR so kind of a massive day in that regard. You would anticipate he would just anticipate he's going to be at a fifty three man roster and then from there he can be inactive, right, but he has to go on because the twenty one day windows started three wednesdays ago, literally twenty one days ago. So now and that Cowboys can't continue to slow play it, like you said, if they want to with dron Bland and you know, but what you don't want to do is have him become ready at some point in the season, and now he's on season ending ir so the smart thing to do would be the obvious thing, and you put him on the active fifty three man roster. We'll see what the corresponding roster move would be in that they.
Speaker 2: Moved John Stevens. They did this past week over wa signed Over Warre and and that was a corresponding move.
Speaker 4: So we'll see presumably Deron Bland goes to the fifty three, who comes off with the fifty three as a corresponding But that doesn't mean that Duran is going to play against the Falcons. What would indicate that is if he returns to practice, like actually returns to practice, because he was d and p all last week.
Speaker 7: So at this point we got to see the Friday practice report right, because Thay.
Speaker 4: Three weeks ago before the try, he was full full and then DMP and he's been Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there was I think there was a setback because everything was pointing in the direction that he was gonna play. He's gonna play.
Speaker 5: People were talking frobout the building, every indication.
Speaker 2: With every indication, and sure enough, not only did he not play, but he goes d n P on Friday, goes into the bye week. Everybody's like, ah, he'll be good after the bye week. D m p'd all last week and it's just I think something they said it was soreness there. Stephen Jones reported it as soreness as the setback.
Speaker 4: I think it may have been something in itself. Hindsight feels as if that was downplayed.
Speaker 2: I think so too, so I think so so.
Speaker 4: Transactionally, I expect that to be a thing for Deron today.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask a question on that too though. But uh, if they were to put him on the active roster, and in order to do so, you would you would eliminate that twenty one day practice window. He does not have to revert back to season ending. Ir correct. How quickly. If let's say worst case scenario happens and it was a significant setback, how quickly could they turn around and put them back on IR for four weeks? If you put him back on IR, he's done. You can't do it twice. You cannot do it twice. Cash.
Speaker 4: That's to keep teams from doing that, Yeah, from going correct back and.
Speaker 2: Forth, fifth teams from hustling the system.
Speaker 7: That means if he is on the active roster, then at least you know he will be back at some point this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Yeah, so's wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Transactionally, I expect he'll be back on fifty three man rusted.
Speaker 2: It's not like fantasy where he can put him on IR every since. Not Yahoo, This is not. So We'll see.
Speaker 4: I mean, today's first at practice day. They'll be on practice field at twelve fifty today. Mike McCarthy will talk at twelve noon today. We'll see if he gives any insight into you know, Yale green light the transaction or if he slow plays it. But I still expect to be done even if he doesn't, you know, show the hand. See if Mike talks about Micah and the status of Micah and you know, if there's anyone else that he's looking to help contribute in a big way that just has not been able to.
Speaker 6: However, that might be practice squatter.
Speaker 7: Otherwise, magic wand you could heal any player.
Speaker 5: On the roster. Who would it be at this point.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say DeMarcus.
Speaker 2: I thought about that too.
Speaker 4: The reason I said DeMarcus is because Micah should be like right there, DeMarcus is still on IR. So if I got it, if I could waive the magic wand and like delete him from IR and put him back. Anybody back on the field, the elite, delete the elite, it will.
Speaker 2: Be DeMarcus Lawrence. You need, you need, you need to improve this run defense. My first thought was DeMarcus Lawrence run defense. That, yeah, I need some help because we've got a guy called Beijon Robinson coming up this week. That's he's pretty decent. Who was that he's pretty good running? Say fewer things like that. I'm sorry, I don't like I don't like what you're saying, pure and simple. That's that was my first thought. Is give me the magic wand come on come on back, Dlow, come on back, buddy.
Speaker 5: I'm still I'm still with MI on this one.
Speaker 7: I just feel like you have to account first what he's doing.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not going to say assuming, but I'm optimistic he's Mikey is back this week. So because I'm optimistic about that, I'm going d I'm not going to waste yeah, over your shoulders. I'm not going to waste my magic wand on a guy that I presume we'll be back this week.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I waste your wish.
Speaker 2: This is a situational hypothetical, is what is happening? Right? We're making your hypothetical situational?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Any other news and notes before we move on to the not.
Speaker 4: At the moment, because they're coming off of a Tuesday with no activity, no transactions or anything like that. No one spoke on the radio. So yeah, we're rolling right, No right, chuckle, we're rolling right into Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Let's start this defensive preview by looking inward at this Cowboys defense. Of course, across the board, it hasn't been pretty. There hasn't been one specific unit that has stuck out more than the other. Which unit right now needs the most help going into this week against Atlanta. Defensive line second level with the linebackers or the secondary with the corners and the safeties. Which one are you going on.
Speaker 7: I'm kicking off with the secondary. I feel like the weapons that the Falcons have wide receiver wise, I think that test will Obviously the defensive line needs to be good because they could just run the ball, they could stick with it.
Speaker 5: But I think at least with Kirk Cousins on.
Speaker 7: The other side of the ball having an MVP like caliber season, the weapons are just too great in my opinion. And if you have an AO out there who has been serviceable in that role, but without Bland, without Carson, it's a tall order. And especially with Trayvon Diggs, who's you know, played relatively well, I think that the orders a little bit too tall.
Speaker 5: As far as secondary goes.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go with the defensive line, and I'm going with this run defense. Specifically, you're going up against b Jon Robinson and Tyler Algier. They combined for more than nine hundred yards on the ground and five rushing touchdowns. That's not to mention what they can do as receivers out of the backfield. You're going to have to level up your run defense and also seal the edges, and that goes to linebackers as well, covering those two guys coming out of the backfield to prevent them from beating receivers. So yeah, I'm going with the defensive line with kind of a little bit of a plus to the linebackers. So let's say defensive front front seven front seven.
Speaker 2: For me, Atlanta has the best duo of running backs except for Detroit.
Speaker 6: That you say so far this.
Speaker 2: Season, Detroit's the only other team that has that type of weaponry with two backs. And the thing about it is, it's just like Detroit that complement each other. It's not just Montgomery and Gibbs. Montgomery's kind of the bulldozer bell coal over and over again. Red zone back Jumior Gibbs is that speeds through with some elusiveness and some lateral ability. You've got two guys in Bijon Robinson who can do a little bit of everything. Bijeon's a complete tailback. He can do it all. He can run heavy, he can run quick, he can run lateral, he can block, he can do all of it. That's why he was a top pick in the drug correct.
Speaker 7: But you look at the two headed monster of Darnell Mooney and Drake London and I think it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not there yet. I'm not there.
Speaker 5: Sorry, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But then you've got Tyler Tyler Algier behind them behind and he's a bowling ball. He's a guy who's going to run the football. So you look at that in terms of the weaponry that Atlanta has, and then you look at the wide receivers and you say, okay, you've got Mooney, You've got you've got Drake London. Yes, then you've also got Kyle Pitts. This is the closest offense in terms of Atlanta that Dallas is faced to Detroit so far. That's the close This is the closest thing. Kirk Cousins is a game manager to a point where he can just kind of think it, dun'k it, toss it around. But that's not all he can do either. It's kind of like Jared Goff.
Speaker 5: No, well, look at his last game.
Speaker 7: He averaged nine point five yards, four touchdowns, four touchdowns, no interceptions, eighty percent completion percent.
Speaker 2: No, he is a that's that's.
Speaker 5: Arguably pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's I'm comparing this as this is Detroit Junior. It's not Detroit. It's not the Lions offense, but they're very comparable in the way that they're built and the way that they're managed, and they're going to try and do the exact same thing Detroit did to you, which is run it, run it, run it, and then big bomb over at the top. The guys like Sam la Porter, Kyle Pitts, guys like guys like Jamison Williams, Drake London. I mean, they've got so many different guys, Miners, Saint Brown, You've got Mooney, I mean, all of it.
Speaker 7: That is a scary comparison. If you think about it like that, that's actually like scary accurate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like I said, it has to start with spooped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he shook it before Halloween tomorrow, shook it spooky season. But yeah, I mean that's why for me, it has to be the defensive line, in the defensive front seven, because if you can do your best to bottle up that run rushing attack with Robinson and Algier. And that also goes to, like I said, the linebackers keeping them in the backfield from being receivers, because the Falcons' third leading receiver is b John Robinson, so.
Speaker 6: Hate that yeah he can.
Speaker 2: I don't like that, right.
Speaker 4: So if you are not able to stop that two headed rushing attack slash receiving attack out of the backfield, your cornerbacks are going to have a much longer day because now they're going to start thinking, should I when I when they? If I'm Trayvon Diggs, I would like to be purely thinking about coverage. But if my front seven isn't playing effectively, then now I got to start thinking, well, maybe if I see Bejeon coming out on the edge, maybe I need to crash down. Well, guess what as soon as I do that over the top of my head to Drake London or whomever Kirk Cousins chooses on that particular play.
Speaker 6: So, I don't think it works in the verse.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's a situation where, oh, if you stop the pass, then this Cowboys defense has shown time and again that they struggle stopping the run, and then that leads to them being unable to consistently stop the pass.
Speaker 2: Atlanta has scored twenty nine point eight points per game, so nearly thirty points per game over the last four games. It's the fourth most in the NFL over that span. And they scored, of course, thirty one points last week in the win against Tampa Bay. They've won four of their last five games in order to take the lead inside the NFC South, We've got more on the Atlanta defense. I want to take our first break because I want to leave enough time in the final segment for my guy Patrick. No c Walker hit some lab coat. So when we come back, we'll take a deeper dive into this. Which weapon from the Atlanta Falcons worries you the most going up against this Dallas defense? Plus what's the Dallas percentage to make the playoffs? Now at three and four, I've got a number for you when we come back right after this with more talking cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission, head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee.
Speaker 9: Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eight miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 2: At and T five G.
Speaker 9: Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 5: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 11: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flame. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by a Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Appreciate you guys joining us as always. We had some great calls yesterday.
Speaker 6: I'll talk fantastic.
Speaker 5: I love it when we get quite a few in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and spread spread the love, you know what I mean, new people calling and old people calling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love. There was a lot of hopeism, hope kind of throwing out there. And that's one thing I've noticed about the Talking Cowboys viewership is there's still certainly the the frustrated fan, and there's probably a lot of them right now, because I think all of us are a little frustrated at times with this football team. Me, oh yeah, what are you talking about. But a lot of times the callers specifically are very optimistic, and I enjoy that. I think it's great. It provides a new perspective. And I thought yesterday, right at the end, we had a very good call down the stretch that was all about optimism. I believe it was Gavin that had the optimism.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you had me ready to run through a brick wall, Thank goodness Gavin did.
Speaker 2: But what have you seen? Yeah, not the same today, not this march, Gavin, Go ahead, give it a call.
Speaker 6: Recent when you went to sleep, Yeah, I've slept since then.
Speaker 2: Uh, Cowboys at three and four? Do you know the percentage off the top of your head of how many three and four teams have ever made the playoffs in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Top of my head, if you had a guess three and four, I'd say twenty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, twenty nine percent, would you say, Pat, I go thirty five? Thirty five? Little bit bigger three and four teams that have made the playoffs nineteen point two percent m GB not good, right, not great? Ball not great, but not great.
Speaker 5: That puts us in a pickle.
Speaker 2: Forty four times in NFL history that a three and four team has made the playoffs forty four. So Dallas could be number forty five, could be a nice round number forty five. Dallas has done it before. By the way, they were three and four back in twenty eighteen. Turn Around made the playoffs. They won seven of their last eight games in order to do so a little bit of a tougher schedule this time around than it was.
Speaker 4: Also eighteen at the trade did they did a thing?
Speaker 2: A thing? Winton got a guy named Amari Cooper that helped you kind of turn things around. So might it take doing another big thing?
Speaker 5: I mean at what position? At what position?
Speaker 2: What would Yeah, that's a great point. What would you do it at?
Speaker 3: MM?
Speaker 2: Well, assume because we can't talk about players specifically, but we can.
Speaker 5: Just a guy, just one guy, one position.
Speaker 2: We can't talk no, I mean like yeah, like one spot.
Speaker 5: In theory, it would be a man.
Speaker 2: Theory would be.
Speaker 4: Like the guy on that shirt, you know, man, Just just just drop a guy right next to Osa. Just drop a guy right next big body defensive. Just drop a monster right next to Osa. And let's really get this cooking.
Speaker 2: And I mean scrab Aaron Donald off the what not? I mean, Maus Smith.
Speaker 4: He's he's shown progress over year one most certainly that is, you know, not even arguable.
Speaker 2: He has shown progress.
Speaker 4: Is he where you would like him to be at this point as far as mauling guys consistently every single rep?
Speaker 6: He's not quite there yet. He's getting there, but not quite there yet.
Speaker 4: And if we're talking about potentially saving the season, trade for just an absolute monster. Put him in between Tank and Osa and Micah and uh and in front of Kendrickson and was shown and go eat these.
Speaker 2: Numbers, by the way, these percentages, I just looked at it again. Since nineteen ninety, thirty twenty percent, twenty percent. Since nineteen ninety, I have made it only one team out of two hundred and twenty nine teams that have started three and four have won the Super Bowl, and only twelve or only twenty one of those teams have won their division.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got some pretty good teams in this division.
Speaker 2: There's some decent teams. So this one you're gonna play four games against two of the good teams in the division, Washington and Philly, and kind of go from there.
Speaker 5: Who's your guy, though, are what position group?
Speaker 2: It's tough, it really is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it's not just one position.
Speaker 2: No, you could make a move anywhere and feel pretty good. I still would go get an impact wide receiver, even with Cooks coming back, even with Trucks coming back, even with Cooks coming back. Because my thing is Cooks is at the end of his contract at the end of this year. Outside of the final eight games last year, I don't see anything from Brandon Cooks that would encourage me to possibly re sign him and move him further into the Dallas or bring him back to Dallas next year and beyond. Right this second, while he's the number two guy, I would do it. But if you had a guy and you could bring him in and it's an impact player on the opposite side of ceedee Lamb, and you could sign him for a long term deal, even if it's not necessarily a huge contract. I would rather do that, man. I feel like Brandon Cooks can no punt attendency. I love.
Speaker 4: I think he can cook up when he comes back fully healthy, I'd be okay with that. Fully healthy.
Speaker 2: I think he just didn't see it before the injury, and I'm skeptical when he comes back that it's going to be better than it was.
Speaker 4: Before the Yeah, and I know he said in the locker room, just on some in some off the cuff conversations that it wasn't something that lingered from training camp, but players say things around and there was some soreness in training camp that caused him to miss some practices and just the I don't believe in coincidence. So the timing of it right, So that leads me to this statement, which is Brandon Cook's coming back from ir completely healthy on the back end of a season. We saw what he can do with the back end of last season. Right when they get him involved, that's gonna be key. Get him involved, get him the targets. You do that, I think he can keep you off of that trade for wide receiver conversation.
Speaker 6: But that's just that's just met.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I think he's a good receiver. The one thing about this receiving room, it's not I'm not making a trade based on Brandon Cooks or not making a trade based on Brandon Cooks. I'm making it because I haven't hit in any of these other guys. Jalen Tolbert's been such a flash in the pan. I wish he would be more consistent, if he could be more consistent than great, but the film is telling me otherwise.
Speaker 4: Wishman would bring in that catch, this same thing turping his run blocking too.
Speaker 2: He has zero confidence in his hands. Run blocking has always been a problem across the board for the wide receivers. I mean, Jalen Brooks has been inconsistent. There's nobody outside of Ceedee Lamb right now that I trust to throw the football too in a big time scenario. And we showed that again this past week. Whenever on third down you go to Kvanti Turpin and complete pass. Best ball that Dack threw all night right through his hands incomplete. Another one was into double coverage against Jalen Brooks. I don't know why We're throwing to Jalen Brooks and Cavante Turpin when the game is on the line to try and get a first down in the final waning moments. And the reason why is because you can't. You don't have another.
Speaker 4: Target in that instance that would rather be Jalen Tolbert as the target. Because that's at least something I've seen from Jalen Tolbert over the course of these first seven games. He's come up with some big throws when he's been targeted in a big situation.
Speaker 2: I'm at the point where if Ceedee Lamb is triple covered, still try and find a way to throw it. Throw in the football because I don't trust anybody else on the offense. I don't trust anybody in the wide receiving room.
Speaker 7: And as far as Tolbert goes, I think outside of his targets, I don't think he's doing a great job as far as run blocking, Like I really think that that is a huge lacking well.
Speaker 2: And if you go and look at Troy Aikman's comments last week when he was talking about the wide receivers and the lack of effort, that's not necessarily pointing fingers specifically at Ceedee Lamb. There are a couple of times. There are a couple instances it's really pointing fingers at the other guys. Yeah, looking pointing fingers directly at at Jalen Tolbert, who takes plays off from time to time. You've got Cavante Turpin that takes plays off and just doesn't have the confidence level. And then Jalen Brooks, who is just too inconsistent in what he's doing. Period. So I would trade for a wide receiver. That's not the only position I would trade for. I would love a big body defensive tackle, but the one option I think I would rather have Brandon Cooks come back and he's not forced, kind of like the Michael Gallup situation where he's not forced to be your wide receiver too. Is he good enough coming back from injury fully healthy to be wide receiver to absolutely? I think Brandon Cooks can help your offense, But I just don't think I want to put him in that that peg. And that's exactly what he's gonna be whenever he comes back, regardless, right this second, without another wise.
Speaker 4: Especially considering he will be a free agent next year, so he's going to want to prove some things which he could work in the Cowboys favor.
Speaker 2: Who you get now? Who you got? But what position you get?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 5: Okay it I've changed my tune on this because it used to.
Speaker 2: Be wide receiver. You were a wide receiver.
Speaker 7: Wide receiver. I was a wide receiver guy before. At least for me right now, I think you need juice in the backfield. The fact that you don't have a running back that anybody's afraid of. You know, at one point I didn't one point nine did not do it for me. Like we saw the experiment.
Speaker 2: I love that they tried it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at least they tried it. You know, you can't.
Speaker 7: It's the definition of insanity, right, doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. At least for me, you need juice in the backfield.
Speaker 5: You need some youth.
Speaker 7: You need some speed, someone that's going to be an actual threat for you backfield in the backfield, someone that can actually help on screen passes.
Speaker 5: That you like, you're afraid of. To me, it's a running back.
Speaker 7: I would really, really I would love to see what they do with with some youth back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a couple of teams that could possibly throw some running backs on the trade trade.
Speaker 5: Don't you name names, Kyle.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to, but there's a couple of them out there. I'm just saying, Derek's listening, don't you do. I'm not gonna do it. We're gonna hear all which weapon on the Atlanta defense worries you the most going into this weekend.
Speaker 4: I kind of took my hand on it when I said, when I talked about the defensive line, of the defensive front, it's b Jeon Robinson for me, for miss b John Robinson. He's he's a game wrecker if you allow him to be in sometimes even if you don't allow him to be a game rerecerd he's going to wreck your game. This is a guy, you know, one of the top overall picks in the NFL coming out of Texas, and he has done nothing except prove why he was one of the top overall picks coming out of Texas. So five hundred and forty six rushing yards, four rushing touchdowns, showing it as a receiver as well, two hundred and forty four receiving yards averaging seven point nine yards per reception. Those numbers that are better than a lot of wide receivers in the NFL, So you don't have to You said it eloquently earlier, Kyle. He can do it all. Oh yeah, right, so not only because he can pass pro as well. So he can absolutely so he can pass pro. He can be a receiver, not just a receiver that oh well, he's a press button in case of emergency with a dump off and maybe he gets you at the line of scrimmage. No, if you get the ball in his hands in space, it can easily be a first down conversion. Again, he's averaging almost eight yards per catch, and not all of those are eight yards of depth, right, Those a lot of yak yards for b John Robinson.
Speaker 6: So that's as a receiver.
Speaker 4: As a running back, he's powerful because a lot of people think because he's so shifty, because he's so quick, because he has that speed, that he.
Speaker 2: Won't just run right through you.
Speaker 4: But oh, you would be incorrect in that assessment, because he will run right through you as well. So for me, it's b John Robinson. He can be an absolute terror for the Falcons and against the Cowboys, who I mean, even if they had solid run defense, I would still say be John Robinson. But you don't have solid run defense. You have run defense that's been struggling weekend, week out, and now it's going up against one of the best running backs in the league in Bjon. So I think this game will go as the Cowboys allow Bijeon to go if they can, and this is going to be a tall ask. If you can shut down or contain Bijon, the rest of the game doesn't become easy, but it becomes easier.
Speaker 5: That's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 7: But okay, these are the Atlanta Falcons, man, and I think one of the things that they've had consistently throughout the years, and I'm gonna cheat just to go for it, tiny bit. It's the dual threat of Drake London and Darnel Mooney. If you look at the history of the Atlanta Falcons, they've had these tandems a lot. I mean, if you think of Roddy White and Julio Jones, I mean, they've had the wide receivers that are basically polar opposites of each other. One is a possession guy, tall, the other is short and speedy and quick. With Drake Lennon Darnel Mooney, I think that tandem, especially going up against a uh some holes in the secondary.
Speaker 5: I think you're gonna have you hear.
Speaker 10: How who are the.
Speaker 2: Uh it's gonna be yeah, all right, Mickey, Mickey Mouse not Mickey's back.
Speaker 4: There's an episode, there's an episode of Family Guy with Stewie does that. And if you know, you know, I'm not gonna go out into just YouTube. It's just Stewie high pitched voice. He keep with every question in his paragraph, he keeps going higher and higher.
Speaker 6: Is that what we're doing?
Speaker 7: It is the tandem of Drake Lennon learning for me with a yeah, banged the backfield. I think that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Forty eight receptions, five and twenty five receiving yards and uh touch or five touchdowns for Drake London, time for fourth in the NFL with five receiving touchdowns. Darnell Mooney has four touchdowns as well. So can't count those guys out. I'm gonna go with Patrick here specifically because b John Robinson and Patrick are like this. It's October, right it is, which means the Fall Classics going on. There's a little baseball happening. You hear about in baseball scouting A five tool player. Oh yeah, five tool player. B John Robinson is a five tool player, and in baseball specifically, it is hit for average, Okay, four point seven yards per carry. He's efficient as the number three receiver overall on this Atlanta Falcons team, behind the two guys we just mentioned in Mooney and Drake London. So there you go, hitting for average, hitting for power. Dude, he's just straight power, that's all he is. He's rocked up as an individual. You can use him as a bell cow back. You can use him as a don't start, don't start with me. You get He's a great, solid, powerful player. Yes, whenever it comes to bell cow back explosiveness, you can do it either way. Then you got speed. There's the explosiveness. He's got the speed to get through the edge. He's got the latteral ability arm strength. Of course, you're not throwing the football at all, but we'll just equate it to overall strength and being able to push the pile. He's got that. And then fielding ability. I'll equate fielding ability to pass pro. Yes, in terms of a running back, Yes like it, And so I would say pass pro is exceptional for B. Jhon Robinson. Is he top five in the league in that category now? But I would give him a plus grade in doing so, and so across the board. B Jon Robinson a five tool player and players like that have given problems to Dallas this season. I'm gonna name the four guys, top four guys in the NFL right now in terms of scrimmage yards. It stopped me. If you've heard of these guys so far this season already? Number one, Derrick Henry, seen him already. How did that go for you?
Speaker 12: Great?
Speaker 2: Not great? Not great? Number two, we haven't seen him yet, but you'll see him twice. Saquon Barkley, who's had a great year so far for the Philadelphia station. You'll see him twice.
Speaker 13: Go.
Speaker 2: Number three on that list, Alvin Kamara, you've seen him before.
Speaker 6: He had a daw did that show?
Speaker 5: He heard it?
Speaker 2: Hi can go well. Four touchdowns for Alvin Kamara against you. B John Robinson's number four on that list, and he's not far off from Derek Henry, Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara. That's the type of individual you're facing this week against the Dallas Cowboys. I'm worried. I'm worried about it, and they've got to change a pace back to Tyler Algier, who I think does a phenomenal job. He's kind of one of the more underrated backs in the NFL right coming out of BYU. Just a guy who does it all right.
Speaker 7: Not quite the Detroit tandem, but no, I think Bjon is taking over a lot of those responsibilities.
Speaker 2: Where the Detroit tandem is very, very subjective, and it could go anywhere from fifty five to forty five percent between the two on a day to day basis, and it kind of fluctuates a couple points Bijon, it's really seventy thirty or seventy five to twenty five. Like they they rely on Bjhon heavily because he's a complete player, because he's a five tool guy. When we come back here on talking Cowboys, we've got Patrick Noci Walker with some lab coat. What do we got today?
Speaker 4: We're going to use this lab quote as a segue to tomorrow, which tomorrow we will talk about the Cowboys offense, yes, sir, versus the Falcons defense. So there's a couple figures here that the Cowboys have no choice but to stay clear of. In Atlanta, or it's going to be a long and awful day.
Speaker 9: Right after this, with more talking cowboys, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for d deals.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yetie's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime. Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 13: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very Digital tools speak required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored forquality assurance. Message dat ate and additional terms may apply. Thank with America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys, this segment is brought to you buy in Visilne the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. It's time for some lab code, sir, bring me in Beamer.
Speaker 6: Yes, science, yes, science all right.
Speaker 4: So, like I said before the break, we are going to use this as a segue to talking about the Cowboys offense versus the Falcons defense, which will be tomorrow and you'll be tuned in, Yes, you will see what we're talking about there.
Speaker 6: Sick all right, So Sick, let's talk about.
Speaker 2: The number one Numero Uno.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys have had an issue this two issues actually this season on one issue being their inability to take the b all the way, the other issue being the willing not willingness, but the inability to not give the ball away. Okay, Dak Prescott has his past three games two interceptions a piece, first players since Troy Aikman did that in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Troy Aman did go on to win the Super Bowl that year. So I don't know, but.
Speaker 6: There's there's some historical that. Good, Boby, that's great, Bob, do that TGV. Dude, you know what.
Speaker 2: Let's just let's let's make sure and repeat history this time, Dak, what do you say about it? Let's let's go and do it all right.
Speaker 4: So, going back to the numeral uno, when Dak throws no interceptions, When no interceptions are thrown in the game, he is fifty one and fourteen. Fifty one and fourteen. That changes wildly once he throws an interception. Wow, Okay, when one interception is thrown, he's seventeen for sixteen. So he's just he becomes a five hundred quarterback. Now, when we're talking QBU records, let's all the science, all the variables matter. What is your defense doing? Again, defense is unable to take the ball way to wash away that giveaway that you just had. Are you able to score more touchdowns than the interceptions. That's also one problem that Dak Prescott is having. He's not thrown for more touchdowns than interceptions in any of the games this year in which he has more than one interception, right, so he has two interceptions. The max that he's had for touchdowns has been two. So it's just the math Dame math in there in his favor. Right when he throws two or more interceptions in the career, as he has over the past three games, and in four games this season he's seven and sixteen, So there is this event horizon all things.
Speaker 2: That's seven number is actually a little surprising that it's that high.
Speaker 6: Well, that's fair, but then I.
Speaker 2: Figured it would be lower and more losses two things.
Speaker 4: When your defense is taking the ball away as it has been in seasons prior to this one, and when you're out throwing the interceptions with the touchdowns as he has been doing in seasons prior.
Speaker 2: To this one, you can't have like a four touchdown game two interceptions.
Speaker 6: Rh late thing exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can't have a two touchdown game with one to a two interception game with one touchdown or two interceptions with two touchdowns and no takeaways from your defense, All those things work together. But the fact is the fact when he throws one interception, just one, that Winnie percentage drops quite a bit, and it has to be bullied again by things that are not happening. Where's your takeaways? Where's your touchdowns? When he throws two or more, it really goes in tailspins. There the point differential this season, in the four games in which Dak Prescott has thrown a single in at least one interception and he's thrown two four times, that's what it has.
Speaker 6: Eight seventy two.
Speaker 4: Points for the Cowboys, one hundred and thirty eight points for the opposition. So again, it's not simply that the interception was thrown, it's that the touchdowns are not being thrown to counteract those. Okay, point differential is wild. But when he commits no turnovers whatsoever, that includes no loss fumbles, Cowboys are back in good space. Forty three and ten as a career record for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: So I say that to.
Speaker 4: Say you need to do two things, three things. Actually, Okay, we all know you need to score touchdowns. You know you need to score touchdowns, make it happen. But if your defense is going to continue to struggle with taking the ball away. That means you no longer have that eraser. You cannot throw interceptions.
Speaker 6: Not even one.
Speaker 4: So now we're approaching perfection, daph and that's dangerous air because how often is it that even the elite quarterbacks in the league, how often is it that they have to play perfect football to win a game? And maybe you can get away with that for one game Jered Goff had an eighteen for eighteen. Maybe you can get away with an elite quarterback having a perfect game once, but if you need him to do that seventeen times every game, you're in trouble.
Speaker 7: It also doesn't help, Like you don't want Dak to be throwing thirty eight times in a game, And that leads me to there you go, the running game, like the fact that it is there you go, it is not non existent. It means you have to lean on Dak throwing the ball thirty eight times a game, which is not what you want. You want him at twenty five, Matt.
Speaker 4: The only way you would be okay with Dak Prescott throwing down there forty times a game is if the touchdowns were coming with that right, and they're not because the more you throw, the more opportunity there is for a mistake.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the Kellen Moore offense at that point, Yeah, at that.
Speaker 4: Point of time, if you're right, if you're talking about throwing consistently, that you got to know every time you put that ball in the air, that's an opportunity for something to go wrong. That's first and foremost, and then the only way that you can watch that forty times I would take I don't want this to happen consistently, But if he had to.
Speaker 2: Outthrow Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 4: For example, if after the game, I looked at that stat line and it was Dak Prescott threw forty one times for three seventy five he had, you know, two interceptions, but he had touchdowns.
Speaker 2: I'll be down for that.
Speaker 6: I'm taking that. I'll take that.
Speaker 4: However, if he throws forty one times and it's two interceptions and it's one touchdown and it's two hundred and seventy five yards, that's probably a loss. So it's it's all contextual. But until the Cowboys get their offense humming in the end zone, or until the defense starts humming and taking the ball away, Dak Prescott really kind of has to play perfect football.
Speaker 2: That's tough. I remember seeing and I wish I remembered off the top of my head, who includes running, Yes, who tweeted this out after the game, But it was the tweet red Dak Prescott's second interception broke this football team. And this was this past week against San Francisco.
Speaker 5: It was the backbreaker for sure.
Speaker 2: It was in that game, at least in that game specifically, it absolutely was. And then that's that's not all on Dak. It is on Dak specifically because he threw the interception and that number back count to the quarterback. It was a bad pass, but a lot of it is kind of in that mindset like you're talking about, of him pressing, of him trying to do too much, of him not having the help of play action. We talked about it last week. They've run how many players of play action? Twenty On the entire season, they've run twenty snaps of play actions. And that is the threat because you have a zero running attack, zero And this is kind of what I'm gonna go all the way back and if I need to go get the receipts, I will go find the receipts find them. But in training camp we talked about it. Man, we talked about it, and I said, I'm worried about the running attack. I'm running worried about these running backs. I'm worried about the effectiveness that they're gonna have because not only does Dak Prescott need a rushing attack to throw the football effectively out of play action, he needs it to throw the football effectively period, just because of the threat that it gives. Teams are daring Dak Prescott to throw it into coverage and they're gonna they're gonna unload the box, they're gonna drop back, and they're gonna let Dak try and pick him apart and try and be perfect to go along with what you're saying. So the film backs up all the numbers that you just gave, and it just continues to snowball as the season goes on because teams they see the answers to the test before they even take it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're doing.
Speaker 2: Their study in and they're like, oh, okay, we'll just dare Dact to beat there.
Speaker 4: And I don't think people understand how concerning it is for you to have to have your quarterback play perfect football every single week, like it's hyperbole to say, well, that's the goal. Of course, that's the goal. That's the goal for every quarterback for all thirty two teams.
Speaker 2: Just to go on there every single time.
Speaker 4: Right, But the reality is is it's not going to happen often because those are other NFL players that you're going up against. They get paid to, they most of them got drafted to, They have contracts on the line, yeah, you know, and then they play up to the.
Speaker 6: Cowboys on top of all of that.
Speaker 4: So when we talk about Dak Prescott would have to play perfect football weekend week out until the defense gets it figured out and until the other thing gets figured out. That also goes to using his legs as well, because with the pressure coming from his offensive line, he can't stand there and be.
Speaker 6: A statue and take sacks.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys and Dak Prescott's record when he sacked one time or fewer forty one and eleven, when he sacked one and a half times a greater thirty five and thirty four don't just stand back there and move around, but create the threat, even if it's just the illusion. But in order to create the illusion, you have to first create the threat. Okay, so we talked about it yesterday. For his escapability. If you're going to roll out left or right, which I highly advise, if you never crossed the.
Speaker 6: Line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: If I'm a defensive back or a linebacker, why would I care that you rolled out. I'm just gonna stay in my coverage. I'm gonna stay in my lanes. We're gonna stay with my keys and my assignments. Every once in a while, you got to break that plane and line of scrimmage, and you got to get those yards at least once or twice in the game so that the next time you roll out, which you probably will have to until you get consistent blocking up front. Now they're thinking, make them think. Linebacker comes off of his key, middle of the field is open for Jake, defensive back comes off of his key. Well there you go for Ceedee Lamb right there. So you have to make them play. So when I say, Dak Prescott right now in this version of the Cowboys has to play perfect football.
Speaker 6: I am not exaggerating. He has to.
Speaker 4: But the problem is is, how likely is it, Excuse me, how likely is it that he or anyone can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to take positive yards.
Speaker 7: When you can take what you can, it will take what they're giving you. I mean, if if the scramble results in a two yard game, that's better than two yards. It's better than throwing on second and ten.
Speaker 6: Or getting sacked for a loss of five.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: That uh, cleaning cleaning up. A stat that I just mentioned, twenty percent of snaps is play action, not twenty snaps. I think I was going to say, down, yeah, now it's fifty four snaps. Totally, it was twenty percent of snaps. Fifty yeah, only one out of every five players you're going to play of action? No, correct. I'm want to play Devil's advocate, and this will be my final question of the day. But Devil's advocate here. I can just hear you're talking about it's impossible to play a perfect quarterback weekend week out. It's impossible to do so everyone. I can just see the comments. But he's getting paid sixty million dollars a year. He's the highest paid NFL quarterback in history, of highest paid player in NFL history, all of the people there, And I'm not saying I believe this because I think realistically, you know what the quarterback position entails, and it's there's there's room for imperfection and you can't do it all yourself. But what do you say to people like that that are saying, Hey, the contract doesn't matter. He has to play perfect.
Speaker 4: Football Mendoza line. Okay, think about it, and in terms of their baseball reference. Yeah, think in terms of Mendoza line.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: The reason players like Ceedee Lamb get paid as they do, justin Jefferson gets paid as he do as he does Joe Burrow in those guys Josh Allen's and Dak Prescott's is because they more often than not play so consistently above the Mendoza line that their value dictates that they get compensated as such versus Ben Denucci and Matt Cassel and who else right.
Speaker 2: In the NEUCI catching stress, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you know, I'm just saying. But that being said, it's none of those players that I talked about this. Josh Allen played perfect football every single.
Speaker 2: Day, absolutely not right.
Speaker 4: He led the league and turnover he said. I don't know if he still does, but over the past three seasons or so.
Speaker 5: But that wasn't on ESPN for four hour cycle.
Speaker 6: That's a whole different story. But you're right.
Speaker 4: So, josh Allen, does he play perfect football? Has he ever had a perfect game?
Speaker 6: Never?
Speaker 2: Never? Not ever?
Speaker 4: Okay, Aaron Rodgers, but that's why he assumed joshna perfect game. But even Aaron Rodgers first future, first Battle of Hall of Famer. Has he always played for perfect football?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Even has it often?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 6: Okay, Troy when he plays the Cowboys, joh one.
Speaker 4: Of the most accurate quarterbacks in the history of the sport, one of the most decorated in the history of the sport. Has he did in his time with the Cowboys? Was he perfect? Weekend and week out? Now even half of the time?
Speaker 2: Was he perfect? No?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's mendoz in line. You pay those guys who are consistently in a certain air, but them being compensated as such doesn't suddenly magically make them perfect just because you pay them that amount, You see what I mean. So there are levels to this, and you pay for the levels. That's all I'm saying. Dak Prescott, he's an MVP candidate last year, All Pro last year. He's shown you that he can be in this air in the regular season. Yeah, postseason is still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brandon Aubrey is still like that. That Yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Kirk Cousins has had a lot of big contracts, fully guaranteed, fully guaranteed, has he Ever, kirk Cousin has never had a perfect exactly my point.
Speaker 2: Josh Allen, by the way, I think he needs to be more so in the MVP conversation with what he's doing right now. He has fourteen touchdowns in one interception. That's incredible. Ye, he's different, that's different, But just a sidebar to what we were talking about. He led the NFL last year, the same kind of thing led the NFL last year in turnover. It's just as Dak did two years ago. Turn around. Dak Prescott was second in MVP voting last year, had a phenomenal campaign, was one of the best quarterbacks in football in twenty twenty three, and then now it's kind of an up and down.
Speaker 4: That's where And I'm I won't even pretend to be naive and anything. I'm not naiven this. It's the timing and the optics. Yeah, right, Because if this contract didn't get done quite yet, if it doesn't get done until next offseason, then they're not talking about the fans are not talking about, Oh, well, he's the sixty million dollar guy. He shouldn't be playing like this. The narrative would be different. It would be saying, well, he needs to play better if he wants sixty million dollars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: But the fact that he got paid and then that time's up with the poor play, it's a perfect storm of ungreat things, Bob. So that's kind of where it is. I My thing is because I've seen Dak Prescott cook up in the regular season time and time again, I'm detached. That's what earned him the sixty Now you need to work on justifying that this team and that you can make a postseason run. But as it stands, the Cowboys are playing for football, So right now you need to justify the ability to get in the postseason so that you can possibly make a run.
Speaker 7: Twenty Yeah, I think a simple answer. As the market is the market, the quarterbacks are going to get paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll be the seventh highest paid quarterback in two exactly exactly that.
Speaker 6: So like you, he brought you paid for to get.
Speaker 2: His now, so you pay for what you need, I guess.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, the money is the money, and that's another man's bag. I'm not going to have. That's none of my business, you know what I'm saying. Like he got the money that he deserved because of the contract.
Speaker 4: That he is the football on the field, and right now focusing on that, it's not Dak Prescott. Excuse me, Dak Prescott, and he knows it. He needs to play better football on the field, period, point blank.
Speaker 6: And let's go from there.
Speaker 2: That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys for Patrick No see Walker, phenomenal job on lab Code as always, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back will be the to be back tomorrow. Isaiah Stanback will be back in the building as well from his ventures on Good Morning Football, will preview the Dallas offense versus that Atlanta defense with a little QB vision in there as well. That does it for us. We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.