Speaker 1: Glad you're here for Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by fand will make every moment more coming up. The balance between free agency and the draft. Is the equation different for GM Brandon Bean this time around? And why how much of the cap dollars have to go to the.
Speaker 2: Defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: And we'll have our one burning question, can somebody get cap compliance online? One? Please to have you listening to us here on Bills by the Numbers. He has Bill's Wall of Fame re Steve Tasker on Bills play by Playman Chris Brown. And as we approach the NFL Combine at the end of the month, this is where the rubber meets the road for all NFL club decision making with respect to the roster, the free agent plan comes into focus in terms of a budget and player targets to sign. It's also where the final stage of information gathering happens on draft prospects, whether they have a clean bill of health and most importantly, are they a fit for the Bills. But despite a change made a head coach this offseason and a scheme change on the defensive side of the ball. A step back in twenty twenty six from where they've been the last seven years running is not an option. How might that mandate change jam Brandon Bean's approach in improving the roster this offseason.
Speaker 3: You and I've talked about it a little bit on the Daily Show. I think the trade market is going to be a little bit juiced up this year because of ten head coaching vacancies, a large number of teams going from four to three to three four and three four to four to three, vice versa. There'll be players on those ten rosters on the defensive side who fit or don't fit. If they fit in a three to four and they're not running a three to four anymore, you can trade that guy, and vice versa. I think there's gonna be more lateral movement for players and gms in this season than there has been, just because of how many regime changes there are and the scheme fits. The cap continues to go up, so they'll you should be able to kind of squeeze a more expensive player under your cap if you've got the room. Teams have known this is coming. The Bills are in better shape than they have been in years past. At this point, it doesn't mean they'll get to better shape than they need to get, but so I'm I really think this year, as far as philosophically changing your roster, I think the trade route is gonna be I think a little bit more juicy than it has been in years past.
Speaker 1: Sense to think that the trade market would be more robust, and then you couple that with the teams that are typically in need of making moves just to become cap compliant, and then on top of that salary structures on players that have just gotten too fat to justify the expense, and those players getting pushed potentially into the market. I think it's going to be a very intriguing off season for the Bills, knowing what has to change and the degree of change on the defensive side of the ball, and how the Bills are going to find the financial space to address all of that while also entertaining a draft shortly thereafter. I think it's going to be a fascinating offseason for this team because of how much has to change so as to adjust to the new scheme defensively, while also not losing any ground in their contender status. If you will, taking a step back really does not sound like an option here, even though when you make a change like this, there is a chance you slide back a little bit from what you've been the last several years.
Speaker 2: As we know, job.
Speaker 1: One will be for the Bills to become cap compliant. Even with a cap set to go up between twenty to twenty five million dollars, Buffalo still has work to do to not only get under the cap, but create enough space to fortify the roster in some capacity in free agency. In years past, we've largely seen Brandon Bean's swing for value in the free agent market rather than go big game hunting, and with cap constraints, they're likely to do the same this offseason. The question is what percentage of their free agent budget do you believe goes to the defensive side of the ball, knowing that's where they have far more holes, at least on a surface look.
Speaker 3: I was gonna kind of do the obviously, certainly they're going to spend more money on the defensive side. I don't know that those guys are out there. I think it probably be fifty to fifty. I think if they're gonna spend money, it's gonna be on a high end wide out, which will you know, balance out the ledger of the guys they don't need they're gonna try and get on defense that aren't available. I mean, you're not gonna get Miles Garrett on the free agent market or TJ. Watt or Kyle Hamilton or some of these guys. Right, Defenders are more valuable and are more costly. So I think Brandon Bereen's probably gonna continue to go value on the defensive side, particularly in this first year of a new defense, rather than go all in try and get a you know, swing for the fence on a home run. Now, there may be one that's presented to him by another team that we don't know about. Maybe, but I would think there's gonna spend more on fewer guys on the offensive side of the ball to make sure they can still keep scoring touchdowns even if it takes them a minute to find their their legs.
Speaker 1: On defense, Yeah, if you're talking dollars in cents, I would tend to agree it's probably going to wind up being balanced when it all comes out in the wash. If you're talking bodies though, right, it's probably eighty twenty defense.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, by sheer number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Think there are going to be some players on that side of the ball that just flat out don't fit.
Speaker 2: Anymore with the new scheme change.
Speaker 1: And even if they're under contract, you know, they might be a cap casualty or just deemed not a fit and moved via trade, you know, to get back to your earlier point. And so I think, if you're talking in terms of bodies, the defense is going to endure far more change over than the offensive side of the ball. This offseason we have often seen being fill as many perceived roster holes as possible with free agents, so his hand is enforced in theft and more often than not, he's been successful in doing that. But knowing the pressure is there to get over the playoff hump right now, does Bean have to acquire more proven commodities in free agency to improve the roster rather than drafting players and hoping a few of them are starting caliber anthers answers for their offensive or defensive lineup.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. H No, I think they're gonna do both. I think they're gonna draft guys and they're gonna try and get as good a guys as they possibly can, and I think they'll probably lean on their coaching staffs expertise about saying, what about this, particularly in the free agent market, but what do you think about this guy versus this guy, that guy versus this guy. I think the coaching staff will have a large, a loud voice in the guys they pluck out of the free agent market, and I that's the way it's always gonna draft. Now, the draft may be a different story. It may be the college scouts who have the bigger voice. The coach will say I like this, you know, they'll say I like this type of guy. The scouts will say, this is that guy. So that's what I think. That's how I think it will go. But I they'll get as proven of players as they can and fit them under the cap. But I just don't think there are gonna be any elite players available on the defensive side.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm attacking this question from a different angle than you are. I don't think they're looking for elite players per se on the free agent market. They first of all, they can't afford them. But I think more than in recent years, they are looking for known fits in this system. Because as much as their coaches watch the guys that are under contract on this roster and deem them a fit for this defense.
Speaker 2: It's still a projection.
Speaker 1: Now, you might have a more accurate projection on a guy like Terrell Bernard who's played in a three to four in college and was very successful, or a Landon Jackson who played in a three man front at Arkansas and you've seen him in this role, and so the projection you feel better about. The vast majority of these guys are projections. So knowing you have players under contract from previous years that you're projecting into this scheme, and then everyone you draft might be a projection into that scheme on the defensive side of the ball man, you need some sure things and so I think this offseason even more so than previous ones, you need more sure fire fits that you know can line up and play and be productive for you in this system in the free agent market than maybe in the last five years, because you already had guys in your pipeline on your roster that you knew or fit. You had Matt Mullane, you had Jordan Poyer, you know, you had Taron Johnson, you had Tredevious. What you had Christian Beffer. You had defensive lineman. Whatever it was that you knew fit this system, that's all gone. Now you're starting fresh, and as convinced as you might be that Dion Walker can be a nose tackle in a two gap system, I'm still finding myself a nose tackle on the free agent market that I know for sure can play nose tackle.
Speaker 2: I'm not like, I gotta have that.
Speaker 1: And so I think because of and desperation is not the word I'm looking for here, but because you have to have positional certainty at some positions in this three four defense, I think you unequivocally have to find free agent answers.
Speaker 2: They can be budgetary, but.
Speaker 1: As long as you know day one I put the ball on the ground that guy can play nose tackle for me's have to have answers.
Speaker 3: That's the gray area we're talking about. If you've got a guy like an Ed Oliver who's a first round draft pick, he's got first round capabilities, and when he's out there and healthy, he's a difference maker and a real, you know, kind of a problem in a four to three and you pulled them over to three four and you think, okay, it's gonna take some getting used to it. But his athleticism and his traits are better than Joey bagg of Donuts, who his traits whatever they are, and his gifts are which are not as good as eds. But he's built for the four three three four. I mean, he's built for the system. That's the gray area. You have his ed with his gifts and maybe not exactly what you want, but his athleticism and his skills allow him to figure it out and be productive. Or is he better as a guy who doesn't fit but is a better athlete than a guy who does fit who's not as good an athlete. You know what I'm saying. That's the gray are the call you got to make. That's the call you got to make as a as a coaching staff. It's it's not easy until you actually you know, because you don't get a chance to line He's get in a game and find That's.
Speaker 1: Why I think Being's gonna lean toward guys that he sees on film being productive in a three four scheme. Oh and we can get him for six million a year. Done get him in here, like you know what I mean, Like it's that kind of you. I think that's the scenario. He's gonna put himself in more often.
Speaker 3: The problem And as crazy as it sounds, you're gonna pay the guys six million a year, You're gonna get six million in value when everybody around him is making twenty and they're getting twenty million dollars in value. That's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I just think they gotta find that kind of value.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're looking for different types of athletes, now, no question about it.
Speaker 1: Affordable but proven productive in this kind of a scheme is the highest of highest priorities. All Right, we just we discussed this and broach this subject a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tweak it a little.
Speaker 1: But knowing that cap constraints could make the ability to sign a higher number of free agents difficult, do you expect the Bills personnel department to be more apt to execute a few player for player or player for draft capital trades to move money out and create more cap space.
Speaker 3: It does open up a logical window for players rather than draft picks to go out to go out. It opens that up on all ten of the new regimes, and with that many teams moving around like that, it will also kind of reach out and make its way into other teams who aren't making regime changes but have guys available or who they're deep at this position or shallow at the position and they need the guys. So, yes, I do. I think it really widens the market for players to be available in trades rather than draft picks. Now, certainly we're going to see the same number. Listen, we're going to give you our one this year for your one next year, and you can pick your guy, will take your one for next year. We're seeing that all. We see that all the time. Right, we'll move back fifteen spots, but you're gonna give us your one next year and a two next year or a three next year. That's always happening, And that's gonna that's gonna be exactly the same this year as it always is, because it's draft picks for draft picks, and they're all unknowns. This year more so than any other. I believe it opens up the possibility that players that you love and respect on your respective teams are around the knee league, they're up on they're on the block.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Bills, because of their cap constraints, are in a much different position than a regime change in Tennessee or in Las Vegas. They're tight against the cap and they're making a scheme change. They want to move players out. The Titans and the Raiders lead the league in cap space this offseason one hundred and four million, ninety one and a half million. Those are teams that, just by virtue of example, Brandon Bean could call and say, Hey, I've got player X is their interest. I know you can stomach the salary. Either give me draft capital back so I have dollars out, or give me a player on his rookie deal so I can have dollars in that I can absorb. And I'm giving you a frontline player for your new scheme because you can stomach the money. Those are valuable potential trade partners. Titans with almost one hundred and five million in cap space, you can give them a fifteen million dollar a year player.
Speaker 3: They don't even blink, right, and the thing that you'll get back is something. But you have to get something back that they don't value as much as the player.
Speaker 1: Or is it to Andre Sweat, I'm gonna keep talking about that guy until we land them in a trade.
Speaker 3: The more you talk about the less likely this might be.
Speaker 2: That's like, that's a guy in his rookie deal. That's why I was.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's yeah, but yet easier said than Doe is. I get it, but you're right. I do think players will be more available to move teams this year in the trade market rather than draft capital and cap space than all of that. I just think that's more likely this year.
Speaker 1: We move along to the numbers game where Steve is going to be quizzed on NFL Combine history. It is on the doorsteps, So why knock?
Speaker 2: Question number one?
Speaker 1: Steve Max Harston had the fastest forty time at the combine last year. He clocked a four to eight. Where does his forty time rank in the history of the combine since two thousand and six, when the modern timing system was implemented.
Speaker 3: Top ten?
Speaker 1: You are correct, he is exactly tenth tenth fastest time since two thousand and six, fourth fastest corners.
Speaker 3: That listen, that's four to two.
Speaker 2: That's moving.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, he's fast.
Speaker 1: So he trails only Kaylon Barnes, DJ Turner who's with the Bengals, and Riek Woolen of the Seahawks in fastest forty times among quarterbacks since cornerbacks since two thousand and six. Question number two, what Buffalo Bill's draft choice holds the team record for bench press reps at the NFL COMBA bench press rep? Oh, yeah, not really done that much anymore by a lot of prospects at the combat.
Speaker 3: What year was it done? Can I ask her?
Speaker 1: I don't have it my era or was it somebody else?
Speaker 2: It's after your era.
Speaker 3: Bench press reps Kyle Wood, It is not Kyle Williams. All right, I'll say Quiat Teller.
Speaker 2: It's not Wyatt Teller. It's a little bit earlier than that.
Speaker 1: All right, give you one more US reps.
Speaker 2: It is a big guy as you would expect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll say Dion, No, it's before deal. Hold on, that's not guess uh. I put the card down, but I didn't take my hand down. I will say, let me think, boy, I couldn't tell it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It is life Larsen, Remember I do remember him powerlifter.
Speaker 2: Forty five reps on.
Speaker 1: The bench, the five That is a fat number. Question number three, how long did Dion Dawkins arms measure at the NFL COMBA.
Speaker 2: You had to guess? What would you say is arm.
Speaker 3: Length was between thirty four and thirty five inches.
Speaker 1: It is exactly thirty five inches for Dionda Hawkins thirty five inch arms. That's why he's getting it done at just six foot three. He's got vines for arms. Kidding and question number four, what Buffalo Bill's draft choice holds the team record for highest vertical leap at the NFL combine?
Speaker 2: Do you wonder what the number is?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Forty one and a half inches? Aaron who got forty one and a half inches between the bottom of their shoes and the floor.
Speaker 3: It's not Aaron, it is not. I will say I'm leaning towards as an offensive player.
Speaker 2: It is not.
Speaker 1: I will tell you it's a defensive player.
Speaker 3: I'll say Tredavious White.
Speaker 2: It is not Tredavious White. But your position is correct?
Speaker 3: Right now? Is it like post two thousand, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: I'll say it's within the last ten years.
Speaker 3: I'll say, uh, if you wouldn't say Max Harriston all passes, it's not Max.
Speaker 1: Right, No, he is third all time thirty nine and a half inches.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, I sure know I knew this.
Speaker 2: Trel Bernard. It is not Terrell Bernard.
Speaker 1: It is Ronald Darby forty one and a half inches, the first pick in the twenty fifteen draft. In round two, Saran Neil second all time at forty and a half inches, and Max Harrison third all time at thirty nine and a half. The DB's holding it down on the vertical.
Speaker 3: Eat those guys or they're different cats, man. I go on and on telling story about it. The dbs in the NFL are faster than anybody you've ever you've ever competed against, and they're better athletes anybody you've ever competed against.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Play the whole game in reverse there. They're unbelievable. Yeah, unbelievable athletes.
Speaker 2: Bill's fans.
Speaker 1: Get in on the action with FanDuel, America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app today to play anyway you want. Plus, with live betting, you'll get updated odds on games that have already started.
Speaker 2: Best of all, you get paid your winnings fast.
Speaker 1: Make every moment more with FanDuel Official Sportsbook, partner of the Buffalo Bills. Time now for our one burning question in the twenty twenty six NFL draft. Do you expect Brandon Bean to be more aggressive and part with draft capital to move up the board, or do you think after possibly being somewhat limited in free agency, that Bean will be more app to trade back out of positions to acquire more draft capital and take a volume approach.
Speaker 3: I think think it's more likely that it takes a volume approach because they're picking twenty sixth overall. Now, I don't know how many guys they have a first round grade on, so nobody does. They probably haven't even decided that themselves. But if there's like thirty, maybe they do move up. If it's you know, twenty or fifteen, then they'll probably move back and get more picks. Last year, it was one of those drafts where most of the value is between the second and fourth round. There was a ton of players in that spot there, which meant, you know, that's where you want to pick. I think it's more I think it's more likely this year that he drops back, grabs a bunch more picks, and makes selections.
Speaker 2: I think volume is the way they're going to go.
Speaker 3: Only because they're picking twenty six to begin with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be hard to move up to get somebody, so I think he's more appt to go with the volume approach, especially with cap constraints. Odds are not as many free agents coming in, so your numbers might be down there. So you've got to increase your numbers in the draft, move back, add picks. I mean, they only have seven going in and it's it's all their own through the first five rounds. They're gonna be drafting low every single round. If you move back, you can at least get higher in a round or two with extra picks that you acquire.
Speaker 3: And also this is the pick, the pick that you get, the twenty fifth pick or whatever, twenty six, twenty sixth pick. There's just there's just it's a quarterback week draft, so there's not going to be teams wanting to get into the end of the third first round so they can grab a fifth year on a quarterback. There's just you're just not going to be able to You might be able to move back, but only I don't even know, because there's no like, there's no Lamar Jackson in this draft where a team might say, you know what, we're going to take a flyer on this quarterback thinking he's and we're gonna get an extra year on his contract by picking him in the first round. Kind of thing. So I think the Bills will probably market that pick big time and see what they can get for it. You can just see teams going, yeah, we'll give you a pick, like a really good pick next year. Yeah, you know, we need our picks this year. I don't know that I'm gonna go. Look, we'll start getting into this more and more as we get through this. But I want to know how many teams have like twelve picks in this draft, right, I mean, how many teams have eleven picks? How many teams have ten picks rather than just the seven or the six that some teams have. Yeah, that'll tell you how which teams will be in the market.
Speaker 1: If the Bills only have seven, they've got their own one through five, and then they have two sevens which came from trades the last couple of years from the Jets and the Dallas Cowboys. So you gonna be picking late through the first five rounds. Might behoove them to move back add a few picks, picking the high or middle stages of some of those rounds, and scoop up some quality talent for their offense or defense, respectively. So I mean we've seen them go both ways. I mean, Brandon Bean has gone both ways in the draft in his you know, eight drafts that he's presided over for the Bills, so nothing would surprise me coming from him at this point. Our closing figure takes a look at Buffalo's top pick, which hasn't always been in round one. Since the twenty eighteen draft when Brandon Bean took over, the Bills have taken a defensive player five times and an offensive player three times with their first pick, and we are counting second round picks aj Epanessa and Keon Coleman since they were the first picks taken in those respective drafts. So pretty balanced all things considered. That's all for this edition. Make sure you subscribe on your podcast platform of choice so you're notified when our next episode is out, or watch us on the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers for Steve Tasker on Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 1: Everybody,