Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Tuesday, November the eleventh, and as of this recording, we are forty eight hours away, less than forty eight hours away from the execution of inmate Tremaine Wood in Oklahoma. His family, in particular his mother and his two young nieces, hugged him for the last time months ago. They just had no idea that was possibly going to be the last hug. Welcome everybody to this episode of Amy and TJ. In Robes, I'm speaking in particular about Linda Wood, Andreana Wood, and Brooklyn Wood, the mother and two nieces of Tremaine, who are right now Robes, holding out hope that Thursday.
Speaker 2: Won't be the end, and they aren't sleeping, they aren't eating, and they have experienced every emotion imaginable anticipating what could possibly happen. No one knows what the governor is going to decide, and he has until literally the eleventh hour, moments before the scheduled execution, to make a decision whether or not to grant Tremaine would clemency.
Speaker 1: So you can only imagine, folks, what it's like for that family right now. But we have covered this story. Robock and I have been following this story for weeks. We have a whole episode on the case itself. What we're talking about a man, Tremain Wood, who is forty six years old now, who was in his twenties when he was a part of a robbery that took place on New Year's Day back in two thousand and two, a robbery in which a man ended up dead, stabbed to death. Tremain Would and his brother were the two who took part in this robbery. There was a back and forth about who actually was the one who killed the man, but Tremaine Wood's brother also convicted in this crime. Robes he got life in prison. Tremaine ends up with here we are on death row. There's all kinds of questions and legal questions about the representation that Tremaine Would got, which by all accounts, I think everybody agrees he did not get adequate representation. This has led us now to a clemency hearing that we just heard matter of about a week ago, in which the clemency Board recommended yes, in a vote of three to two, his life should be spared. But that doesn't spare his life Robes. It means then now the governor and that catches everybody up, and that leads us to these three women, these three young ladies that we had a chance to talk to. We've talked to a lot of people over the years and covered a lot of cases. I actually count remember talking to someone this intimately who was this close to having their loved one killed.
Speaker 2: I have never had a conversation like we just had with these three women who are going through something that no mother and no family member would ever want to imagine. And yet to sit down with them and to have the time with them that we had with them, it is impossible to not feel for these women to not feel something for what is state sanctioned murder in this.
Speaker 1: So, folks, we want you to hear from them now. And look, Robot and I we covered this case. We pointed out we're not going through all the legalities in the back and forth and the nuances and the legalities of this case. This was a matter of talking to three women who are days away from losing someone who was possibly the most important person in their lives and one of the most influential. So here now we want you to listen to our conversation with Linda Wood, mother of Tremaine Wood and Andrea and Brooklyn would his.
Speaker 3: Nieces, and I imagine you all have in the past at least week, been non stop. In fact, you were just at an event for Trumont. Tell me how you're feeling, what you've been doing, and what life is like right now.
Speaker 4: Life for me right now is Tremaine's mother is stress level one thousand. It is. My heart is so heavy with the thought that my son could die in less than two days. So that's kind of how my life has been for these last few months. He has been treated so badly at the penitentiary that and you know, as a mother, the only thing you want to do when your child is hurting is make it better, and you can't. So it's been very stressful, very.
Speaker 5: Stressful, madam.
Speaker 6: You say stressful, How does one prepare for the death of their child.
Speaker 4: You don't. You don't prepare. I have tried to play that scenario over in my mind a million times in the last twenty one years, because we knew from the day he was sentenced to death that that was very real possibility. But my mind won't allow me to even fathom him not being here any longer. I always go back to the same thing. This cannot be the end of my son's story.
Speaker 2: You have been sitting with this, living with this for more than two decades. But as we're speaking to you, it is Tuesday afternoon, and in forty eight hours or so, give or take, your sun may be there on death row, his life about to end in these final forty eight hours. How do you exist? Do you sleep? Do you rest? No?
Speaker 4: No, I don't sleep.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 7: Mentally, emotionally and physically drained. I'm drained. I'm so tired, but I can't sleep. It's hard for me to eat. It's just it's torturous. It's torturous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll definitely agree with Grandma and that one. It's definitely it's hard to sleep. It's definitely hard. It's hard to eat that have an appetite when you're sitting there thinking that the person that you love the most and you care about the most is going to be gone in under forty eight hours.
Speaker 4: If this doesn't go the right way.
Speaker 5: Brooklyn, why do you.
Speaker 4: There is?
Speaker 6: You just mentioned him as the most important person and the closest person in your life.
Speaker 5: For folks who aren't aware of.
Speaker 6: That, you as a seventeen year oldly speaking on it, Why is he that much to you?
Speaker 8: My uncle has made an amazing impact in my life. He's helped me through multiple mental health crisis that I've had within myself, and just multiple I used to get bullied all the time in school and he's always helped me through that and taught me that my worth isn't measured by what other people say about me. It's measured by what I think about myself and what I see inside myself. And just because people put in bad and you have to put good out.
Speaker 4: In the world just to receive it back, just because.
Speaker 8: You're not getting it in that moment doesn't mean that you're never gonna get it.
Speaker 4: Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: You have only known your uncle at seventeen as a man behind bars, a convicted murderer on death row. And a lot of people would look at your uncle's story, his name and think they know and may think he's a monster, may think he's evil, may think all sorts of things. How would you describe the uncle you know?
Speaker 8: I would describe my uncle as a loving, caring person. He pretty much puts you before he will put himself. He'll give you what he has off his back like the last shirt he has off his back and give it to you because you needed it more than he needed it in that moment. He's such a giving person, and he'll put anybody before he puts himself, just to make sure they're okay, or they feel right, or they're mentally okay, they're doing good.
Speaker 4: Out in the world.
Speaker 8: He will always put somebody before him.
Speaker 5: Have you and Andreana the other?
Speaker 6: How old are you? Tell me twenty three? Right, yes, this is your uncle as well. Now tell me what year were you born?
Speaker 8: Two thousand and two?
Speaker 6: That was the year this crime took place, is it not?
Speaker 9: Yep, I was born a few months after.
Speaker 6: It's wild that that's the case. But how do you explain to people, Explain to us how you go about having a relationship, much less a loving and supportive one with an uncle that you have never gotten a chance to spend time with outside of a prison.
Speaker 9: I mean it was mostly just through telephone calls and visits. I mean I've been going to visit him since he'd been in like the actual county jail, before he before the trial, before everything. I was she was taking me as a baby to go visit, and so I've I always knew about him, and I always got I always got to talk to him growing up on calls and everything like that, visits, and he just he's never been a bad person in my eyes ever. And I mean even when I got old enough, I I knew, you know, of course I knew that he was in prison, but I didn't I didn't really know what for until I was in middle school. And that's when I really started doing research on the case and and I really saw how how badly everything was handled, and I was like, my uncle doesn't deserve to be here. But it's it's been very easy to have a good relationship with him.
Speaker 8: I love my uncle to who.
Speaker 5: Linda tell me? Why why was that important? She was a baby, she was edny bitty? Why was it important? Will be visiting Carl.
Speaker 4: I've had Andreana since she was one day old. I brought her home from the hospital and I raised her. It's it's funny you should ask that, you know, when before Andrewa was born and before this crime was committed. And I feel like I have a good personal relationship with God. But I felt like God talked to me and said, you know, there's a baby that will need you, and you will need this baby, and people were like, no, you're crazy. You know you didn't have all the kids you're having, And I said, I'm telling you. God told me that. And when she was born, well while her mom was still pregnant, she decided she didn't want her. She was going to give her to my son, and my son gave her to me, and Andreana became the reason for me being able to make it through the trial and the whole horror of them being accused of a murder. This is before they were convicted.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: So when they were in the county jail, I would go twice a week. I would because they wouldn't let me see Jake and Tremaine on the same day. I would take Andreana. She grew up the first three or four years of her life going twice a week to the Oklahoma County jail. And I thought it was important because she needed to know them, and they needed to know her. This was their niece, and almost everybody, given the severity of the crime at hand, had cut Jake off from seeing his kids. Tremaine wasn't allowed to see his kids, and they needed, they needed some hope. I just felt like Andreana was was hope, you know, it was just hope that that we would make it through this. And but by the grace of God, we have this bar. But I thought it was important because every kid has a right to know who their family is.
Speaker 2: Linda, you mentioned Jake, your other son. You are mom to three sons, but I cannot imagine as a mother. Tremaine and Jake both tried and convicted of murder, and there was a headline I read that said one brother confessed to murder and got life without parole. Tremaine would got death.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't even know.
Speaker 2: If you can put into words what that is like to live with, what that was like to experience.
Speaker 4: I tell you, you know, And when you make choices in your life, you know, your choice is your consequences, whether consequences are good or bad. But when your life is forever changed and you don't get a choice, it makes it hard, It makes it difficult, and it's very hurtful. My son Andre and I didn't get a choice in this. You know, nobody said, hey, are you okay if we go out and somebody gets murdered tonight and we go to jail, are you okay? If we get the death penalty, or are you okay if I commit suicide or you okay if the state executes me. We didn't get a choice in any of that, and so those choices were made for us. And it's been really, really difficult when you lose not one son, but two sons to the system, and then the system is so bad, especially for people who have mental health issues like Jake had serious, serious mental health issues, and it just got to the point. He was one of the strongest individuals. I thought that I ever knew, you know, he could do time standing on his head. But when I got the call in the middle of the night that he had committed suicide, it was devastating to lose one child, and now at the thought that within forty eight hours I could lose a second child. You know, one third of my heart is already gone. If Tremaine dies, that's two thirds, and it's hard to live with one third of a heart. That's kind of.
Speaker 6: Maybe all of you right now, what your last I guess most recent interaction with Tremaine was what more interaction you expect to have between now in the next forty eight hours and all of you all's kind of assessment how do you all think he's doing.
Speaker 4: My biggest fear has always been that if they executed Tremaine, he.
Speaker 7: Would be there scared and alone. Now Tremaine tells me he's not scared to die. I don't know if I believe that.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he's scared to die, but I feel like he's scared of the fallout afterwards for the rest of us that are left here without him. Our last interaction before we saw him on camera or on the TV screen at the clinic's hearing, we had went the weekend before that and saw and visited him. They gave us one hour, and well, I think we at an hour and thirty. Actually, no, we only stayed an hour because we had to go oh yeah to the rally. But you know, we never talked about him dying over this whole twenty one years. He just didn't. We didn't talk about me dying, We didn't talk about him dying, And we probably should have had those hard conversations a long time before we had him. And we only had him when his number finally came up and we were forced to have to have him because as the person responsible as his next of ken. You know, I have to know what do you want me to do? What are your final wishes? Just tell me so I can do it. And it's real difficult. And we all get to go see him tomorrow as a family for what if they execute him, will be the final visit that we have. And I don't know how I feel about that. I know that I can't ever tell him goodbye. I cannot leave that visit and tell him goodbye in case he dies. I just can't.
Speaker 2: Brooklyn, do you know what you're going to say to your uncle? What you're not going to say.
Speaker 4: To your uncle?
Speaker 8: I don't really know, because it's crazy to think that it's his last visit before you could potentially be executed.
Speaker 4: Like what what do you say?
Speaker 8: Like like they're like, I don't even know what I would say, actually, But one thing I do know I don't want to say is by to my uncle.
Speaker 4: I do want to sit there and have to tell my uncle.
Speaker 8: By and think that's the last memory I'm ever going to have of him, seeing him just sitting there.
Speaker 6: Andreana, what about you? And also how long Andreana do you all know you all are going to get? And how big of a.
Speaker 5: Group are.
Speaker 7: People?
Speaker 4: And two people get too out hours. Then we switch out with the next two and then the next two, so everybody's gotten to see him for two hours.
Speaker 6: And Andreana, what about you? How do you also same questions? How do you think your uncle is doing right now?
Speaker 9: I mean he yeah, I will say. Throughout all of this recently, you know, you can this has like aged him a lot, you know, and he still he still stays positive, you know. He whenever we get to whenever he gets to call us for the little fifteen minute call we get, he he always tells us to keep our head up and keep the faith and keep fighting because it's not over till it's over. But I mean, it's hard to think that this is this might be the last visit we get. I mean, I I didn't get to hug my uncle until I was twenty I'm twenty three now, and when when was our last June?
Speaker 4: Was our last contact visit?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 9: And I hate that that was the last hug that I got to give my uncle because now we just get to see him through the glass like it started out with.
Speaker 4: I think it's the last one. We'd probably hug him a little bit tighter and held him a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, wait, I'm gonna make sure I got that right. So when you all do this, this plan planned visit is going.
Speaker 9: To be through yeah, through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a piece of it will be a contact visit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we won't get to And I'm.
Speaker 6: Making sure I'll understood you right there, Linda, Is that the last time you had a contact visit you didn't know the execution was coming up?
Speaker 4: Now, we knew the exit. We didn't have a date at that time, but we didn't know that all of this stuff that's been going on. We didn't know they were going to snatch him up and throw him back in H dungeon on H unit and isolate him and take everything from him. No, we didn't know that. Had we known, we probably, like I said, would have hugged him a little longer, held him a little tighter.
Speaker 5: Forgive me.
Speaker 6: I didn't know this, but you will have given and you didn't know it. You possibly have given your loved one his last hug.
Speaker 5: You just didn't know it was going to be the last stuff. I'm sorry I did not realize.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know that there was a specific amount of contact visits you could or couldn't have how does that work? How often have you able to hold or touch your son, Linda, over the years.
Speaker 4: You know he was in he was on h unit behind glass, and we didn't get to have contact visits for sixteen of the twenty one years. And then when the ACLU got involved and said these living conditions are not it, and so then the prison I guess, to avoid any problems with the ACLU, decided to move death row inmates to a unit and decided to let him have contact visits. So for more years than not, I didn't get to hug my son. And then the first time it was amazing. It had been the first time in probably eighteen years, because he spent two years in the county jail where we couldn't have contact visits either. The first time in eighteen years that I had got to hug my son and it was I can't even describe how it felt. I cried. And now to know that he could possibly die, you know, death is forever and we not get to hug him. That the next time I may get to hug my sons in a body bag is very very heart wrenching to me.
Speaker 2: Linda, do you all have plans if this does go through to be there when he is executed.
Speaker 4: Now, I we will be here as a family. Tremaine had to decide he wanted to be there. First of all, he didn't want any of us to be there. I told Tremaine it was his choice because he asked me about a couple of people that he was going to put on the list. When it's thirty five days before the execution, they fill out what's called an execution packet, and they have that on his birthday. Yeah, thirty five days was on his birthday. And you know, he had to put down the people who the people who would witness his execution. You know, who he wants to be in charge of where his body goes. He has to put down what he wants for his last meal, and who'll pick up his property, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: Well, on his birthday, on his birthday, yeah.
Speaker 2: And so who will be there in the room.
Speaker 4: Well, the only person that'll be in the actual execution chamber with him should he be executed, would be his spiritual advisor and whoever's administering the drugs. The other people sit outside. There's a glass window that's open and people sit there and witness it. I think the state gets so many witnesses and Tremaine is allowed I think five witnesses. I'm not sure five or six or something like that. I told him that I would respect whoever he wanted there or just know it couldn't be me. I don't know that I can even be conscious when ten o'clock Thursday comes.
Speaker 6: Did he specifically ask, though, that you that certain people not be there.
Speaker 4: Yes, he didn't want any of us to be, especially me, you know he Tremaine is worried, as are all of us that you know, if you've never lost a child, it is the most heart wrenching thing and you never recover from it. You learn how to deal with it, but you never recover. When my son Jake died, that was just something spontaneous. It's not something that was planned out like this. This has been the most tortuous thing, counting days till you know your son could die. It's just mentally torturous for all of us, so I can only imagine what it is for him.
Speaker 6: But it was in a good day in the midst of all the torture to hear the clemency board at least recommend clemency for him was that a good day.
Speaker 4: It was a wonderful day. It was a miracle that my son was far overdue for twenty one years. They gave a break before they decided to vote, and we all went outside. I could not go back in because I could not stand to hear one more shred of bad news for my son. So all of the rest of my family went back in there, and I said, I'm going to stay out here because I can't if they deny him clemency, they'll have taken me out here on a stretcher.
Speaker 9: And after I at least after I heard that third yes, and the room kind of, you know us at least we kind of just gasped, and some people started clapping, and they told us to quiet down. And then me and my uncle Tremaine's girlfriend jumped up and sprinted out of the out of the building and I straight ran straight to her car. Said they said yes, And then I broke down in the parking lot like it was.
Speaker 4: I broke down. It was a great day.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 4: It was the what we had been waiting for, that the person they had painted him to be through the Attorney General's office. It uh, they finally saw through all that and and saw that this guy got a raw deal. You know, he didn't he wasn't adequately represented, none of that. So yeah, it was a good your reaction.
Speaker 2: So you have Andreana running out telling you, they said, yes, can you tell me what you did, what you thought, what you felt. I mean, I can't imagine the rush of emotions.
Speaker 4: I felt like for the first time in twenty one years, I could breathe, if just for that moment, And it was just for that moment, because it you know, there was a lot of work to be done after that to convince the governor to stay his execution to community sentence.
Speaker 6: Well in the husit, How has it gone on that front? What do you think your chances are now that the governor will decide in your favor.
Speaker 4: I can say that I hope that. You know, this is his last year as governor, and all I can say is that I hope that as a last act of human compassion for a man who didn't kill anyone, for a man who sat in that clemency hearing and admitted I'm a broken person. I've made mistakes. I'm broken. You know, if I could give this mother her child back, I would, If I could have been strong enough to stop my brother that night, I would, but I can't go back it. I just I just pray that as the last act of human compassion for someone that he will he will do the right thing and stand up and grant my son clemency.
Speaker 7: And Linda.
Speaker 2: Much has been made about this law in the state of Oklahoma that if you're a part of an act, a criminal act that results in the death of someone, you are just as culpable as the person who either pulled the trigger or actually wielded that weapon that ended that person's life. Feelings about that law, Well.
Speaker 4: First of all, I think it's the stupidest law that was ever written in the history of the world. I mean, if there are ten of us sitting here and we've all got a gun and we all start shooting, only one of ours bullets can kill somebody. So are we all culpable by being at the scene. Probably? Yes. But if I didn't kill this person, then I don't deserve to die.
Speaker 2: Do you think your son deserves to be behind bars for the rest of his life.
Speaker 4: No. I think my son he was the least culpable of everybody that anticipated in this crime, and I don't just say that because he was my son, because Jake, who did the actual killing, was my son too. I think Tremaine was with the wrong people, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. And I know he has shown great remorse, great sadness, and has just about lost his mind over it at certain times in the last twenty one years. You know, I have always said that my heart goes as a mother, and my heart goes out to Ronnie With's mother, because I know that pain of losing a child, whether you lose him to murder or suicide or car wreck or whatever it is, it doesn't make it any easier. And I just feel like he is so remorseful, And you know, I'm also hopeful that the governor will take into consideration that the victim's family and the living victim they do not want to remain executed.
Speaker 2: Have you been able to speak to the with family at all over these decades a few decades.
Speaker 4: I haven't, and I you know we have. We have tread real lightly as a family because there was so many improprieties in Tremayne's case, you know, ineffective counsel and prosecutorial misconduct, just a lot of things. So we've had to tread lightly on what we could say and what we could do, who we could speak to, because we didn't want to take the chance of messing up any chance that he had for any type of relief. It hasn't been only in the last probably months that we have really as a family gotten to speak out about all of this, because he had so many things still pending in different courts and things like that. I don't know, i'd I don't even know what words I could say to Barbara Withff to even to make it easier, because I know when my son died, there was nothing anyone could say that made it less painful. This situation with Tremaine. People tell me all the time, you know, I am so sorry. I feel bad for you, you know, But those words, and I know people truly mean it, but it doesn't make it any easier. So I don't think there's anything I could say to her. But if there was anything, is that my heart has always gone out to her and I am so sorry for the loss of her son.
Speaker 6: An opportunity to speak to the governor or anybody from his office.
Speaker 4: No, not us as a family, Tremaine's attorneys have. We haven't gotten to speak to the governor. I wish I could speak to the governor because what I would say is, if this was your son or your father, your brother, your uncle, would you want someone to show them mercy and grace or would you be so quick to execute them?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what have What have Tremaine's lawyers told you? Have they given you any reason to feel hope? Have they cautioned you not to get your hopes up?
Speaker 4: I haven't really talked to Amanda since they saw the governor yesterday. I know she's very busy filing stuff and doing this and doing that, and and you know, on Tremaine's behalf and it's a really busy time for all of us. So I haven't really spoken to her. I don't know. Have y'all spoken to you? Heard from uncle yesterday?
Speaker 8: He called us last night and he said that they had called him and told him that the meeting was that went really well.
Speaker 6: That sounded good, right, If the meeting went well, is that a good thing?
Speaker 5: Right? That sounds good.
Speaker 9: It's but we.
Speaker 5: Don't know what that means exactly.
Speaker 2: It went well, Yeah, you don't know what that Yeah, it's pretty remarkable even hearing you say that. I can we can still we're looking at your faces and we can still see your reservations. You're unwilling, excited.
Speaker 6: I only had two more things here. I'll start with actually, because what's going on. When we first started this interview, I'm not sure what happened, but there was something between all of us and you, all three of you all laughed about something, and I was like, wow, I didn't expect laughter this entire interview. My question is, have you found a little moments to be happy or to crack a joke?
Speaker 8: I feel like and not like with anything like going on with the case. I don't feel like we cracked jokes with anything with that, but you do try to find like little things.
Speaker 4: Like in the day that do kind of try to. We do joke with uncle Yeah a lot. Yeah, with our uncle Al, and they try to.
Speaker 8: Joke with our dad as much as possible, just to try to keep him in good spirits because he does hide his most. We even joke with Mama, so we try to. We me and Arona do try to keep the mood very light when it comes just Momma, don't make.
Speaker 4: Linda.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you your son was twenty two years old when this crime was committed. He's now forty six years old. How have you seen him change over these past twenty plus years? How has his life experience changed him, prison changed him? And perhaps even his faith?
Speaker 4: You know, before Jake died in twenty nineteen, Tremaine was I would probably say, I'm still always in Jake's shadow as Jake's little brother. It wasn't until Jake died that Tremaine came into his own and realized a lot of things that I think he had been allowing his brother to block his way of thinking. He had to come into his own and realize, man, I had the ability, and it bothers him every day that he says, if I had just been strong enough to tell my brother no, none of this would have happened. But I wasn't. And you know, I mean he was a kid, He was barely an adult when all this happened. And you know, I don't think as we grow up and we grow older, and some of us we never never learned. But I think we don't think about long term consequences, Like now, when you get my age, you think about long term consequences because long term becomes short term, you know, and I just I have seen Tremaine become a remarkable man. He's always thinking of other people, he told me the last time I saw him. He said, Mom, I just want to say that, whether I live or whether I die, I just want this everything I've been through to precipitate a change for the other inmates who they'll try to execute after me, he said, I just want there to be a change in this broken system. And so even in the final moments, when he's death is knocking at his door, possibly he's still thinking about I want my life to make a difference in people that still have to come where I'm at now. And I'm very proud of him As his mother, I'm proud for him to be my son. He's amazing.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Uh And to jump on that point, you know there are obviously the death penalty is a controversial issue in this country, and people have very strong feelings on both sides of the fence. I would love to have each of you talk about the value of Tremayne's life and what he can give back to this world, to your family if he's allowed to live.
Speaker 4: Tremaine is amazing. I think that what a waste it would be for everyone in his world, the people that know and love him, what a waste it would be for him to die. He is always trying to give back, and that's the sigh of him that people don't know. They don't know, the part of you know him that while in prison inmates that had no shoes, he would take shoes off of his own feet and give him to somebody that didn't have any or couldn't didn't have money on their books to buy some before he got sent back over to H unit. He would cook meals and feed hungry inmates who had no commissary. You know, that's the kind of man he is. And despite what he has been going through for the last two decades, he still finds time to encourage these kids, to encourage my two great grandkids that I'm raising, to just be an inspiration to everybody and try to mentor to young people that this is not what you want to do, This is not how you want to end up. You don't you know. I have a little great grandson in here who's not and he's been going through some things. And when I took my great grandkids to see him and he talked to him, he said, he said, you don't want to end up in here. You don't, this is not what you want. You know, you need to stay in school and do good and you know, straighten up your attitude. And it's just that's why I say, this just cannot be the end of Tremayne's story. He has so much left that he wants to give to the world and the people that are in the world around him.
Speaker 8: So yeah, like like Grandma said, he's definitely a mentory an inspiration for us. He's definitely guided us through a lot of things, whether that'd be like school, like arguments with people, like he wants to get both sides.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want to hear just one.
Speaker 8: Side and say, oh, well, Brooklyn, you're in the wrong because of this, and there's no even both sides, and then he'll give you his honest, unbiased opinion on it. And just for giving his situation, you wouldn't see, you wouldn't feel somebody would have such a positive attitude and such a positive outlook on how you should be in life and just try to be such like a positive influence on people, like stay stay in school, like don't don't argue with your parents all the time, Like make sure you clean your room up, make sure your your grades are good because you have He will always tell you that you have the you have the possibility to make a change, so do it.
Speaker 4: And you can't do.
Speaker 8: It if you're falling behind, if you're slacking, if you're getting in trouble all the time, you can't do that. So my uncle is definitely just a big part of my life, a big person that keeps me going and just like keeps me up in the morning and keeps me keeps from I don't know, going in sane practically, and he.
Speaker 4: Has, uh, he has. Both of his kids were grown before he got to see them. They were three and ten months old when when he went to prison, and so by the time he got to have a relationship with his two boys, they were grown. And I made sure that Brendan got to go see him. I took him to the prison to see him several times. And you know, I'm not real close. Of course, this has brought us closer. I wasn't really close to those two of my grandchildren because growing up they weren't allowed to be around us. Their families. You know, they punished all of us for what Tremaine did and what Jake did, and but I didn't care about that. I just wanted him to be able to have a relationship, and now he does. He has a great relationship with both of his kids, and he is just so positive with them and encourages his son. He has a son in the military, and he just encourages him and his other son who's who lives here in Oklahoma City. He encourages him to be the best you can be. And even then he goes, Mom, maybe me coming to prison was a good thing because it stopped this cycle of criminal activity, of violence of you know, all of this. It's stopped because my kids now have you know, they've done good. And you know, he's just he's just an amazing, amazing, amazing guy.
Speaker 9: He is.
Speaker 2: Well, we are thinking of all of you, your family. We know how what we don't know. We can only how difficult these next few hours will be for you all. But everyone will be waiting to see what Governor Stit decides, And we are thinking of you, and we are hoping for the best for your family, and we appreciate you opening up and being vulnerable and talking about something so incredibly painful. But I know that the hope is that there will be changes in the system, and certainly we know that you hope your loved one, that Trumaine will be able to continue this beautiful relationship he has with all of you.
Speaker 9: So thank you, thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. This is if there's one thing I could end this one, it would be our family, his legal team. They've all been amazing and we are all stronger than the storm we are going through.
Speaker 9: And there is one thing out, one more thing I would like to put out there, just for everyone to know. They have currently moved my uncle to death watch, and that's they put him in a cell that's right next to the execution the execution chamber chamber, and he's under they took they've taken everything from him except a book and his tablet to be able.
Speaker 4: To call us, to call you, well me.
Speaker 9: They've blocked everybody else's number but mine, and he's under twenty four hour surveillance. I mean, he doesn't get good meals. I'll tell you that right now. We've seen that firsthand in visits with what they what they are feeding him, and it's not.
Speaker 6: It's what are you the only one that's getting uh, that's not blocked.
Speaker 5: He's only calling you.
Speaker 4: We have no idea, it just you know. One of the rules for once they're to death watch, which is seven days prior to the execution date, is that they are the the inmate is supposed to have unlimited access to the phone to stay in touch with the mediate family. Yet right after the clemency hearing, everybody's numbers blocked. They won't let us talk to him. And that is very, very tortuous because as his mother, you think i'd be the last person they would block.
Speaker 9: But you know, I'm I'm at the point because I'm the only person you can call, and I'm having to you know, drive around and come here, you know, to go to edmind just so we can get a chance.
Speaker 4: To talk to him.
Speaker 6: That seems like that should have been corrected. That's like that was a mistake that should have or could have been corrected.
Speaker 4: Journey's attempted to try to but they say, the prison say it's above them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they keep saying that it's above their ward and the their highest person there, it's above her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well no, thank you for actually that's a good no getting to look a good detail to know.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that. And again for I want you.
Speaker 6: All to know, if you'll get a chance, if you'll listen to podcasts, go back and listen to our Amy and t We did a full podcast on this case and following this story before we ever decided we wanted to reach out. We watch that entire live stream of that clement'sy hearing every second of it. So we have been We just want to know where we're coming from. This is a story and a lot of frankly executions we've been following this year because the country has been executing folk left and rank, but it was a case we were interested in, passionate about, and quite frankly, we can say out loud we're on your side about on this one in a lot of ways. So really we wish you all the best with what you're going through and hopefully we talk to you again in better circumstances.
Speaker 4: We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Thank you, Thank you guys, And as of this recording, Tremainwood is set to be executed by lethal injection. It's set to take place in the state of Oklahoma at ten am Local time eleven am Eastern time here and again the governor Governor Kevin Stidt has until that ten am deadline to intervene if he so chooses, But it should be noted during his tenure as governor, the Pardons and Parole Board has recommended clemency in four cases. He has only granted it in one case, and that was back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: And since he took office as.
Speaker 2: Governor in twenty nineteen, sixteen people have been executed in that state. So this is certainly a familiar situation that his office says he takes very seriously.
Speaker 5: But we wait.
Speaker 1: I learned so much from these ladies about the process. Many of these cases we covered. I didn't I didn't know, And I think that was the most gut wrenching part that the hug they gave him, they didn't realize it was going to be the last. They will get to see him one more time, but through a glass. This is just again we follow these cases. We always say ropes are ever any little bit the question of any kind. Let's err on the side of not killing somebody because you can't correct that mistake. This is certainly one of those that rises to the level of something not quite right.
Speaker 5: So no rush.
Speaker 1: And also we should note the family of the victims don't want the execution to go forward. So I always say I will I will be on board with any law if they say, we'll let the victims family.
Speaker 2: Decide, you know, and we have covered so many of these cases at this point that it is something that yes, I mean, there's a lot of things we'd love to change about our legal system, but certainly that's one of the glaring issues. If the family of the victims do not want the convicted killer of their loved one to be executed, that should be the final, say period period A.
Speaker 1: Right, folks, We always appreciate you spending some time with us. This is when we're keeping a close eye on as always top right corner of your Apple podcast app where our show page it says follow there you can click that. This one will have updates. We don't want you to have to go hunting for some of these updates we do have. This is when we're going to stay on top of so by all means, click that and keep hanging with us. We always appreciate you, folks for hemy robot. I'm TJ.
Speaker 5: Holmes. We'll talk to y'all real soon.