Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfields.
Speaker 3: Next flowing down the sideline, he is.
Speaker 4: Hanging with the Boys, presented by wing Stuff where Flavor gets its wings. Now your hosts, Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon Gross.
Speaker 5: Thursday ninety You're looking live at Tostitos Championship Plaza with some weird shadows going on, where it is forty eight degrees, feels like forty six. The high today is seventy two, the load to nice fifty six, almost a perfect day. And on the video board you see the big what is it, Big twelve.
Speaker 3: Chris Big Big Big twelve Pro day Friday.
Speaker 5: Start going online as we speak.
Speaker 3: And next to me, Man, that's interesting. You're Shannon, Yes, that's christ and about Yes, I'm Jesse.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it, that's it, that's that's how, that's how we got together. We make hanging with when I was left of us, we make hanging with the boys the sports talk equivalent of Braille people. Us. I said to me us us us, Yeah, Well, when we will speak, look at this.
Speaker 5: I like this shot.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 5: I like this, So don't tune out. It's just me and Jesse for better or for worse. We got you guys that you guys have a handle, trust man, that one we we definitely got to handle.
Speaker 3: We got knee problems on this show.
Speaker 5: Thinking that we got on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got problem. We got knee issues on this show. Man, we got we got some knee shoes. We got some we we need. We might need to go see well, they probably went to guard to see doctor Cooper. We got a lot of the issues on this show.
Speaker 5: Well, I hope everybody gets better.
Speaker 3: Kurt.
Speaker 5: Kurt's fine. By the way, Yes, Curtis family member has has uh something going on, So Kurt had to he had to check out for today. But that's okay because it's me and Jesse, and very rarely is it just me and Jesse.
Speaker 3: You think it's ever when you and I I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Maybe once, Maybe it's a weird arrangement. Close up.
Speaker 3: When you hear that song, what do you think of?
Speaker 5: Uh, there's a commercial with it, but I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, who do you think of as the the artist behind it song? I don't know who is the artist behind I'm not the original, but I always think about Will Smith's Who's the original?
Speaker 5: Chris not Al Green? Is it?
Speaker 3: I'll look it up.
Speaker 5: Who is? It's gonna be somebody you're gonna hear, oh yeah, Or is it gonna be somebody weird that you're like, No, it's gonna be somebody we know.
Speaker 3: So I can't think of it right now.
Speaker 5: A lot going on, man, a lot of a lot of This is the weirdest off season ever. You and I were talking about this before the show, and I don't remember. I don't think it's ever happened. Correct me if I'm wrong, But I don't remember the organization ever saying that they don't have money to spend.
Speaker 3: You mean the guys on the four blist, Yes, you mean the guy who have the most.
Speaker 5: And see and look. So I got opinions about that. I think that was a bad choice of words to our fan base because our fan base takes that literally. What they mean is the team doesn't have wiggle room, and I think they're trying to clear future cap space up because they've drawn this. They've drawn several contracts out over the last what eight ten years to where they got in this spot where they can't afford to sign. But of course they can afford it. They're the Jones family. They have billions of dollars. They can't afford to sign these in the parameters of the NFL and their.
Speaker 3: Money, their their personal money and their team money are two separate moneys, right, they they ain't the same money.
Speaker 5: The fan base does not realize that what.
Speaker 3: They got, what they got at the Bank of America and what they got at the Bank of the NFL, right, ain't the same money those two money, don't. They ain't joint accounts. They don't.
Speaker 5: Their NFL money runs out real quick.
Speaker 6: There's not join the Yankees have, like Yankee money, Baseball money.
Speaker 3: Baseball, right, that goes into that football.
Speaker 5: If you were now, if you were in baseball or even the NBA, where there's just a luxury tax and all that, you said, we can't afford it, then yes, let's let's get upset. But like that's our fans getting upset because of that choice of words. I think. Is it used to be that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's when the nineties happened, right when you could spend whatever you wanted and there was no cap and there was no It was to the highest.
Speaker 5: Bidder, and there was not parody in the NFL, and that was not good for the aim because there were teams that were take Can the forty nine ers and the Cowboys, and you had the same teams winning over and over and over. So they wanted it to be a level playing field and they were like, oh, let's which in a way kind of isn't fair because I.
Speaker 3: Think that's what Jerry meant when he said, if you do this side the check that I would write for a Super Bowl. I think he's I think he's thinking of the nineties, He's I think he's thinking of the yes two years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean kind of puts it in the hands of your lawyers and your your money guys, and your you know your law you know your contract guys on how creative you can get with the cap and how you can adjust this and if you're it really really the last I guess this has really stood out probably the last what six seven years, where your quarterback on a rookie deal can make or break you as far as like building your team out. A lot of teams are like looking for that quarterback to you know, because then you, then you age out and you age into that second contract, and then all that money goes to your quarterback and then you have divisioncies everywhere else. You've seen it with what Rock Pardy, You've seen it with who's some other young guys.
Speaker 3: I think someone said the other day, if you look at the super Bowl winning teams over the last couple of years, I think it was like if you take out like Tom Brady or something like that, most of those guys won super Bowls on their rookie deals, Like most of those quarterbacks were like on their rookie deals or stuff like that. It was something of that effect where you were able just to build better teams when you're a quarterback, wasn't taking up damn near third with it seems like of your salary cap. But the point I think sometimes frustrates fans and and even you know, just people in general, but fans in particular, is there's so there's so many brilliant people that work behind the scenes in every organization, not just the Cowboys, but every organization, and getting to the point we are now, it's not a surprise, you know what I'm saying, Like they knew what was coming. They knew that the credit card bill was eventually going to come a knocking. They knew that ten years ago, because the plan ten years ago was, hey, ten years from now, we gotta be able to do woo whoop because this money will kick down the road. And so they continue. So every single year there were plans put in place, and there were plans built around the premise of eventually this is coming. So it don't get me wrong. In that moment of time, it's the credit card methodology, right. It's like, listen, in this moment, my favorite artist is coming to town, and I got more month than money. My boy, I got that credit card and I ain't missing this com right, But I know I'm gonna be eating sandwiches.
Speaker 5: I can pinch pennies down the road to get this paid off. Or you know what, I might be in a better situation financially. I might get a better I might get a better job. I might get a rate, the salary cap might increase, the TV money might be bigger.
Speaker 3: It might be And I think that that was some of the thought processes in as well. But also you say to yourself, boy, but for this momentarily, drink a beer. Boy, I might have eat. I'ma have you a time tonight. I'm right, And that's that's the moment we're gonna go out after I'm gona have me. The drinks will be flowing, the the vibe will be lit like that is the feeling that and and and on a personal level, you say to yourself, boy, it was worth it. I deserved, Boy, it was worth it.
Speaker 5: I created a memory.
Speaker 3: And for the Cowboys and for for sports teams, it's if I can be less sneed and go f these picks and f this money and these contracts we hoisted. A Lombardi will have that forever, like you'll have those moments forever, but eventually you got to pay.
Speaker 5: And if you got to, if you don't get that trophy, then it's all for nothing. And I think it's weird because that's a pitfall of having a talented roster.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm so distracted. My collar is atrocious? Is it? Why didn't no one tell me?
Speaker 5: I didn't notice it because it's on that side. I didn't say I would have told you. No.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just it's not It's just one of those things where this shirt is just you know, your collar gets a little bit wrangled. And before people started getting on that one, I'm gonna call it out myself. I just saw it. I was like, I'm not gonna let people talk about me behind the scenes.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I hate when you have like a like a T shirt and it gets a weird crease like either the sleeve or the collar where you can't straighten it out. Just basically, you know what happened? Your neck got you fast and like it's got a little slack in it. Now you're filling it up. Sorry, I'm sorry, but having a talented roster and maybe that's what happened to the Cowboys because you have so many high profile start. Look, you got Dak now, and it's crazy to me that there. We've always always extended our quarterback, right, We've always they got Basically they got in trouble with the cap now because they well they kind of drugged their feet. But then they but like there's talk now they might just let this thing ride out and then and then you know, and then we'll get at the end of that in a minute. But you got Dak, you got CD, you got Micah. You know, those all three of them could be the highest paid person at their position. Yeah, you want that, you know, Jerry Jerry said, I think yesterday that's a problem that you want to have, right, it's good problem, or is it like or is it better to have like really good talent and not you know, top tier in all three of the most important positions and that that's a week that's a great you know, it's a hard question.
Speaker 3: You don't win in this league without talent, right, and a multitude of talent you just don't like like people can say what they want about the Chiefs, right and oh, well no, the Chiefs, Well, Chiefs have three Hall of Fame players on their team. Like if you and probably we know Patrick Mahone is the greatest player walking the earth? Right now?
Speaker 5: Did you almost say it all time? I was, But what I think you could say that now he's getting there.
Speaker 3: He's getting there. He's getting close to being the greatest quarterback we've seen. But it's gonna be Tom Brady has a seventh superow so. But but you know, Travis Kelsey is the first battle of Hall of Famer. And then when it's all said and done, Chris Jones goes to the Hall of Fame. He's going to the Hall of Fame. He's going to end up in the Hall of Fame as a deterior interior to fear interior defensive lineman. And then you have Andy Reid. I mean they have and they made those things work, but you're void of talent in this league will not result in victories. They just won't. You have to have a talented roster. And while you where you can kind of skimp a little bit, and elsewhere is you have Tom Brady or you have Patrick Mahomes. Right, you have an elite. You have the elite of the elites on your roster. Now I don't think the Cowboys have they they don't have the elite of the elites on any position on this roster. But I mean Micah is An is an elite player. Cee he is an elite player. I think Dak is an above average, really really really good player doesn't get the credit. But Zach Martin is a guy who at his position for a long time has been elite at what he does. And the biggest thing for the Cowboys, because we've seen the regular season wins, they've been there. They just can't figure this thing out. And I was having a conversation with Brian Broadis yesterday. He was on my podcast on the Field with Jesse Ally on YouTube. And everybody has to bear the brunt of the lack of success for the Cowboys, Freaky Mike dan Quinn who's no longer here, Jerry and Steven will and every player that goes up there in that football field. It is a collective. Like when you go back and you think about that Green Bay game, that was bad across the board. Yeah, they looked, they looked not ready for the moment. That's a head coaching that that falls on the head coach.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Defensively, they looked like they didn't have answers as a coaching. But then on the players. CD was pouting in the first quarter, Dak wasn't sharp, Michael wasn't there, There wasn't That's a player. That's a player issue to have yourself prepared to know what you're supposed to do offensively, defensively, and everybody has to hold that hold a piece of that loss. And but you don't win in this league without being able to say that we have some of the most talented people on our football team. You just I mean, look at the teams roundly that don't win. They don't have Pro Bowlers on their team. They don't have first team All Pro or or second team All Pro or you know, Pro bowlers in general. It's a it's a good problem to have. It's just that I think the Cowboys have potentially mismanaged their good problem.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take our first break when we come back, let's talk about I want to get your well, it's a few things. One of the Pro Day that's out here. Did you do Pro Day?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You did. Let's talk about your Pro Day and then your your expertise special teams. We get some new kickoff rule that's kind of a very dramatic change. Like I like, one thing I can say about the NFL is in the last several years, they're not afraid to mix it up and change rules. They're not like Baseball where it's like this is what we do and this is how we do it, like something like they're they're they're experimenting with things. I want to get your thoughts on the hip drop tackle. Now, I'm not really sure how I feel about. That's gonna be hard, hard, hard to officiate. Man. Let's talk about Dak and then we'll get into some other stuff with just me and Jesse hanging with the guys. The I guess it's still the the menz hanging with the Hanging with the men. We will be right back also. We are brought to you each and every week by Wingstop where Flavor gets it week and we will be right back with more football talk on Hanging with the men.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamolele It's made with real halfs avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 3: Grab some today.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: You want to stay at a.
Speaker 8: Team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: See Geek has your back no matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are. So, whether you're a diehard fan or a dog worthy care fan, we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The Sea Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a Here of your Week fan or haven't been here in years fan, See Geek has you covered.
Speaker 3: Download the Sea Geek.
Speaker 7: After the Sea Geek, You're a ticket the Great Dallas Cowboys Seats.
Speaker 9: How's wing stop sound crispy, juicy, classic wings, made to order, cook to perfection and sauted tossed in those eleven soul satisfying flavors, paired with handcut seasoned fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature wingstop branch and of course, spicy casun fried corn.
Speaker 3: I think you've heard enough.
Speaker 9: Get your flavor delivered at wingstop dot Com.
Speaker 4: Back to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Hanging with the Boys. Second segment brought to you each and every day by blockchain dot Com. Thank you Blockchain dot Com. And next week we have a very special in studio guest that you will not want to miss because you never know what will happen or what will be said. When the Great Charles Hayley joins the show. He's going to promote his uh Celebrity Texas HoldEm tournament that he has every year. He's got some major star power that comes out to that thing, a lot of his former teammates and a lot of areas celebrities and athletes and former athletes, and he's gonna come on and talk about that. He's gonna join us for about half the show. I think he's gonna come in about about this time, about nine to twenty next week, next Thursday, So you'll want to make sure that you tune in for that.
Speaker 3: I'll be behavior.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what. You're not gonna want to miss this because for those of you that are not around Charles. For those of you that are not around Charles, Charles is a wild card. Charles will say any and everything at any point at any time, in front of anyone, So you never know what's gonna happen. So tune in to see what may or may not happen.
Speaker 3: Should I revisit our Charles and I interaction that we had a couple of years ago in the elevator.
Speaker 5: You can do you want?
Speaker 3: Do you think he'll remember?
Speaker 5: I don't think you If you're gonna revisit it, I would revisit it today, and not why he's here, because I would because I don't. I'm gonna probably be in the middle of y'all somewhere, and I don't. I don't want to get caught up in.
Speaker 3: That listenes Charles nineties Charles might have kicked my butt, might have kicked my butt, like for real.
Speaker 5: For real. Oh, he don't have a chance nineties Charles. There's probably not many men that he could not have whooped up on. Yeah, yeah, he'd been a hell of a UFC fighter back nineties Charles. But I'll tell you what, he don't have a chance today. Twenty what is this? Twenty twenty four? Twenty twenty four. Charles, for his age, could handle some some folks too. Now you you're, you know, strapping, young middle aged man that you are. I don't know if he can handle up on you now, but you know, but he's got that. He's got.
Speaker 3: Charles is a good dude.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: He's just he's just Charles's Charles.
Speaker 3: That's all you can say.
Speaker 5: It's all you can say.
Speaker 3: He's He's.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he's barefoot Charles. We'll just leave it at that, So tune in.
Speaker 3: Is he bringing his dog? If he brings his dog and bringing my dog?
Speaker 5: I don't think he brings the dogs up here anymore. Chris stopped that. Chris, does he bring the dogs up here? I have not seen the dogs in a while. Okay, they used to come. But Jess, you can bring your dog anytime you want.
Speaker 3: Buddy, Okay, my dog is I have. My dog is certified like as as emotional support dog.
Speaker 5: You should bring them up here sometimes. But he like come in here and just sit down the whole show that. Yeah, bring him up here, bring him next week, next Thursday. No too many dogs and alpha dogs in here, now, you don't do that. What's the little what's the little dog.
Speaker 3: Yet I still haven't. Don't, don't, don't kill my boy off yet.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, he's listening.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you the bones is one foot in the grade. Bone, just one ft in the grade. Baby, he's what's the new one? What's the what's the other concourse? So mamba?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah yeah, big dog? Oh yeah yeah, Wait till Nate comes back and bring yeah, bigg that's.
Speaker 3: What I said. If he brings his door, if he brings his if Charli brings his dover, man, I'm bringing mind.
Speaker 5: We don't need that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're good. But yeah, my boy bones, boy, he is, he is one foot in the grade.
Speaker 5: And what kind of dog is he?
Speaker 6: Frenchy I remember him on the last ye pounds he is.
Speaker 3: But my boy is one foot in the grade.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He season medicine. He's like he's all he's all jacked up. He's all jacked up, like he's he's holding on. No cantankerous, old bastard knee surgeries he's had, you know, he had one early on.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 3: He had a c l early on.
Speaker 5: That was cheap, tell you.
Speaker 3: But I was still playing Look, I was still playing football when he That's how old he is I was when I first got Bones. I was still playing football, so it was easy year to kind of just go and pay that pay that cost way back when he gets anything now like anything now over. I shouldn't say this, please for the dog lovers, I'm a dog lover, and for the Peter lovers.
Speaker 5: Are you going to put it? Are you going to put a monetary limit on it?
Speaker 3: Seventy five dollars, he's done anything that costs more than me going to get you that needle.
Speaker 5: We're out, poor guy, we're out.
Speaker 3: I had to shift the dog's insurance because I got to put the insurance on the big dog now, the big younger dog, because he costs money anytime he has to go to the vet because of his size. Yeah, he's one hundred and thirty five forty pounds. So anytime you got to put that size of a dog in the you know, the vet, they charge you extra. So I had to shift the insurance. I couldn't keep it on both dogs. I had to make a decision on which dog and Bones. You lived a really good life. We love you, but if you happen to have anything that comes over seventy five dollars, my boy, because that's the cost of that.
Speaker 5: You got to go in there to euthanize him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how old is he? Thirteen?
Speaker 5: That's a good that's a good run for a dog.
Speaker 3: It's a for a frenchie there it's like ten. Yeah, thirteen is a good run.
Speaker 5: I remember when I had dogs. Should bring bones up here? Man? Would he make it? You would make it in the car.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You can put him like on the just put it right right there, right next to the microphone.
Speaker 3: He was snoring.
Speaker 5: Oh man, yeah, he'd be I remember back in the day where you didn't there was no dog insurance. If something bad with wrong was like well sorry. You know, white people started that the insurance.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a white person thing. And I've adopted some of the white person tendencies because I hang around.
Speaker 5: To a show on that.
Speaker 3: What are the what are the white person without a shadow of a doubt, what's the white people started dog insurance?
Speaker 5: What's the what's the biggest white tendency that you've adopted?
Speaker 3: Probably pet insurance. I'm not gonna lie. I come from a place where if something was wrong with your.
Speaker 5: Dog thought you're gonna say, Manny's and petties.
Speaker 3: That's oh, you know what, I don't know if that's a white people don't really do manny's and petties.
Speaker 5: Okay, and don't tell me my wife. The men don't no, no, no, I'm women. Men don't at all.
Speaker 3: White people be having some really crusty heels though I don't know how much they get on the heels. But I don't know. I don't know if that's a white or black thing.
Speaker 5: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the meddies and petties. I've adopted that from because my grandmother, like was the first one to give me a manicure many many many in the years ago in high school, and I was afraid to put the clear polish on. I mean, you don't get made fun of, go Caleb Williams. But I was like it was it was a full pow to put you know, anything on your nails in Jersey. Yeah, I was like no. She was like trust me. And all the boys were kind of like ah, but the girls are like, okay, we see you, Jesse.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was like you're gonna do it again' oh now you want to you know? So she did that long, long, long long time ago. But I would say that. Let me think.
Speaker 5: I feel like pet insurance though, is a that's a white thing. I feel like that's a peer pressure thing too. It's like, because you feel bad. If you were to put an animal down, you feel bad one you have that bond with the animal, you would feel bad person. But like I feel like people look down at you if because back in the day, that's what you did, like you know, back in the seventies, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like you doll got old ye old yellows.
Speaker 5: You get sick, all right, go take care of it. They didn't even take you to the bed, they know, took you out and I'll back, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I'm from They just dump you off somewhere.
Speaker 5: Let nature take care of you exactly. So now you get arrested, you do something.
Speaker 3: I know, like now I'm like, but for sure, like because a lot of white people, they'll go like, like, if your dog has cancer, they'll go like chemo and do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's yeah, yeah, we went through that last year.
Speaker 3: Sorry, did you really sorry? Emotional thing?
Speaker 5: It's all good. No, they want to do chemo on my cat.
Speaker 3: My cat, there's no way, see what I'm saying. Yeah, and I told it's no way, I'm not spending a dollar more than dude, trust me.
Speaker 5: They're like, it's gonna be one thousand dollars for this chemo. And I told my wife, I'm like, yeah, that's what I love. Dollars, but that's not gonna happen. And this pet co on the weekend and take them all, rescue all all of them. It's one sacrifice, one for many. Man, we're gonna get so much trouble talking about Yeah problem, let's get let's get off something. Let's go uh Jesse's pro Day? Oh yeah, tell us about that process? What is that? How is that nerve wracking?
Speaker 3: Or is that fun?
Speaker 5: You get hyped? What's it like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You get hyped because the thing I loved about the pro day was it was it was in our building, right, so you know everything, you're excited about it. You kind of control the atmosphere, a little bit familiar with the turf, Yeah, all of those things. You get the cool gear to go out there and do stuff with. I'm trying to think. I think I thought I did really good at at at at pro Day, and and and who through to you? Darien Durant, his brother played linebacker here.
Speaker 5: Kevin Kevin Kevin dur Not Kevin Durrant. That's what started with a key. Okay, didn't I remember him? He was here for a few years, yeah, three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his brother Darren Durant. He was my quarterback my freshman year and he had Darren went up to the CFL and had a really good career in the CFL, like it was one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the CFL history. And he threw to me it was it was great, justin Justin Durant. Yeah, And it's funny because all the teams that eventually wanted me to sign, we're at Pro Day. Like I didn't run fast enough for the Raiders. I fit every other bill for the Raiders. I was big, I was strong, was physical. I just wasn't fast. Four or five something. Four or five is not fast enough to be a Raider, No Raiders.
Speaker 6: Like if you run the fastest at the combine, you're probably gonna get drafted by the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Right like like Worthy probably know the Raiders remember Darius Hayward Bay from Maryland, Like he wasn't like he ran a four five, four to three something. They were like, oh, we'll take him. It was a bush.
Speaker 5: It was a bus n.
Speaker 3: Fast as as al Davis. But like the Raiders, the Rams when they were still in Saint Louis, the Ravens, Cincinnati was there. It was it was I mean, it was a I think at that time on my team, I probably was one of the highest like looking things, what do you want to call prospects at that time. There's another running back, Ronnie McGill. It was actually a big time scout in New England, has been there for a while. Was a running back. But he had he had a disease where his body produced too much creatine. Your body naturally produces creating. His produced too much, and so when he would get over exerted, like literally in games, we would have to purposely pull him out, like cool him down, give him like ivs like after quarters and stuff like that. He would get into these full body cramps to where like his entire body locked up. Oh but he was a rock like I don't think there was a portion of his body that wasn't a muscle.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: Everything was yoked up. Earlob was yoked up. Everything was crazy. Yeah, pro day was cool. It's you're a little bit nerve racking because you just you want to impress. You want to go out there. You don't want to drop a ball, you don't want to stumble on the route, you don't want to do anything that you know. You want to make sure that confidence is there. But from many of these guys, man, Like, when you think about it at the end of like as a whole, if you're a Texas kid, if you're barely you're playing in front of.
Speaker 5: One hundred thousand people, right, say nothing and you've done it. You've done it for so long.
Speaker 3: This is football, you know what I'm saying. This is this is this is the part where I get the combine. But when you're at your own place, this is a little bit more settling for you to go out there and perform.
Speaker 5: Anybody get drafted off y'alls team my senior year, Yeah no.
Speaker 3: The next year a couple of guys went. A couple of guys we the next year Hakeen Nicks was on. That was on our our team. You know who, you know who? Uh It ended up being a really good player, played in the league for a long time. Was on our practice squad.
Speaker 5: T J.
Speaker 3: Yates, he was a quarterback at Houston couldn't even crack the starting lineup. It was insane.
Speaker 5: He might have been in the league for eight, nine, ten years. Whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I found the acc pro date North Carolina, Jesse Holly.
Speaker 3: Knows if you want me to, I don't want to hear what about me? Okay?
Speaker 6: So he ran between a four five eight and a four six two in the forty Okay. At the pro day he had a four point three to three short shuttle, a six point ninety six three cone. You did everything, by the way, thirty four and a half inch vertical, six foot nine broad jump eighteen on the bench.
Speaker 3: Let's go go, Let's go. I was joked up, baby, I was joked up. I was yulked up.
Speaker 6: Reps on the for two twenty five on the bench, it says measured six foot two in the quarter two nineteen and the notes were very strong. But also played earlier in his career on basketball team deceptive speed. It takes him a few steps to build up to full stride. Facts produced solid numbers of a variety of UH signal callers.
Speaker 5: There you go, as I got. That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not bad. I was nervous. Did you read that?
Speaker 5: I was like, what do they say, yeah, like reading page line, like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: March fourteen, two thousand and seven was when this was written.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my senior I should have left my junior year, which was my best year that I had in school. In fact, the quarterback that actually came here and played Matt Baker. Matt Baker played here. Crowdchap called him Crowdshaker Baker. He played backup quarterback here with the Cowboys. He was my quarterback my junior year, and we had really good chemistry actually my sophomore and junior year, and then my senior year we went to this two quarterback system and it was atrocious. We had a traveler, we had a transfer from Nebraska, Joe Daily, he's from New Jersey, and we had another guy named Cam Sexton, and it was so horrible because they were changing out series and now both of them were scared to throw the ball and I'm just like, and it was fun. We were playing. We were playing Virginia at Virginia in a night game and some they caught me on one of those big boom mics. This is before I found, like really really found the Lord and stopped cussing.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 3: Virginia's talking so much trash to me because at the time, this young kid, Hakeem Nix is starting to kind of bubble, and so the DB's over there that I've known for a couple of years. Uh, it was a girl situation that they were kind of One of their teammates had a girl that we went to our school and may made allegedly allegedly she spent some time in my dorm room, allegedly allegedly. So there was a lot of going back and forth, and I'm not getting the ball, and they're like, you're letting that sophomore that that I outwork. He's better than I'm hot, and they come off. I'm come off the sideline and I'm cussing Joe Daly out and but I'm walking right by the big plastic boom thing whatever that what's that called? What was that?
Speaker 5: Like a boom the directional mike?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like it's a parabolic mic, the parabolic mic whatever that means. And I'm like, what the plea, don't be the I'm like, I'm going off. After the game. I get back to my phone, there's like thirty text message from my mom my brother Broaday, like, bro, why were you cussing like that? I was going off. I was so embarrassed because everybody back home heard me cussing. I ended that game with like two catches for like nineteen yards. It was bad.
Speaker 5: It was bad. Since that's on TV. And before we go to break brief thoughts on the uh, they've got a bones fossil on Good Morning Football talking about the h the new kickoff rule change. What do you what do you think about that? Briefly talk about what it.
Speaker 3: Is, and then show the new rules if you familiar with what they did in the XFL and how they changed rule in the NFL wants to eliminate that contact high collision. Yeah, so you're talking about a forty yard head start running down there into a you know, into another human being. They kind of want to eliminate that. I mean, they should did this years ago because when I came to the league, you ran down they were doing like the Wall. It was the wall, four guys holding.
Speaker 5: Hands, wedge, wedge buster.
Speaker 3: Boy, I was a Westbuster. And then they did two by two.
Speaker 5: It's like red Rover.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then they were like, Okay, we can't do the we can't do the wedge wall anymore. So we're gonna do two by two or two by four. You gotta two guys gotta be up two yards or up four yards and two yards apart. Whatever. The kind of stagnated a little bit. Then they were like, that's not working. And so now they're going into this the XFL type thing where they'll start guys in this one of the zone they want to call them in. And so there's now only like maybe like a ten yard collision, which is going to actually, I think create more big plays on the Yeah, it's gonna be a lot more exciting because once you get through.
Speaker 5: That, that's it is it is. They're not stag like this gas faster than this guy.
Speaker 3: It's like you're right there.
Speaker 5: In yard sprint. You break through that walls.
Speaker 3: And it's gonna be you and the kicker. It's gonna be you when the kicker.
Speaker 6: So tur Turpin probably walked into Jerry's office and sat Iud was like, so you guys want to talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the turf's only problem is he just doesn't know when to run to open space. Don't run towards the kicker, turping, run to that space where nobody's standing and just keep going really fast. But no, this is I think this will be. This will bring some excitement back to the game. But I also say this, if this doesn't work.
Speaker 5: That's it. Get rid of the kickoff.
Speaker 3: They're gonna get rid of it. Like this is the last ditch resort. Like, this is the last ditch resort because.
Speaker 5: You just start on the twenty five or whatever.
Speaker 3: Just get the ball in twenty five. Yeah, does like hey, you know what, hey ball on twenty five. Oh, we're not even and that's gonna cost a lot of people jobs. Yeah, and this is this is going to be. I think this is gonna be fun. This is going to be You're gonna see a lot more skill guys out there now because you need guys that want that are fast, that are flexible, agile, athletic, because you're working in coat quarters right so now I got to be able to shed this block and be able to reach a guy. So you're gonna see more safeties, more receivers, running backs, tight ends. You'll see more of those guys, you know, the hybrid linebackers. You'll see more of those guys on this on the teams now, and you will you'll see the big fat boys so I like it. I think it's I think it's cool. You know, as a guy who played special teams and who who's been in I haven't been in this area, but I've been in the multiple eras of how to change the rules, and this is the safest. And there's one thing about this one this in the NFL says we want to care about your bodies and care about the players health. This is one way to do so because you're eliminating some of that bone shattering, teeth clenching impact when you got a guy running forty yards with the head start running dead smack into you with reckless abandons.
Speaker 6: So I think one of the reasons they changed it also is I think I saw this. There was thirteen kickoffs in the Super Bowl last year, and all thirteen or touchbacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean everybody has a leg now, Bory, I mean yeah, yeah, no excitement.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take our last break when we come back. Let's talk about Dak Prescott in his contract. What Jesse's thoughts are on hanging with the boys.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 3: The press guy who looks right, it's not there, he escaped, flapped, He'll run for a press down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 9: How's wing stout sound chrispy juicy, classic wings, made to order, cook to perfection and sauceed toss and those eleven souls satisfying players paired with handcut season frive, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature Wingstop range, and of course spicy Cajun fried course. I think you've heard enough. Get your flavored delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 7: Seat geek has your back no matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a dog worthy care fan, we got him next time fan or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The Sea Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, see Geek has you covered?
Speaker 3: Download the Sea Geek.
Speaker 7: After the Seed Geek, you're a ticket They're great Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Seats James right here.
Speaker 10: You're a twenty twenty two Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. Do you know how much I love my Cowboys? And I am thrilled to be talking to you about the twenty twenty three Fan of the Year Award, presented by Captain Morgan. We're looking for the ultimate Cowboys fan to spice up the game. That means you eat, sleep, and breathe the Dallas Cowboys. If that's you, or if you know someone like me, then go to Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year and you could win tickets to Super Bowl fifty eight and so much more.
Speaker 5: Enter today to Hanging with the Bulls. Welcome back to the final few minutes of Hanging with the Boys, the last segment brought to you each and every day by Jigsaw, The official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, Shannon Gross, Jesse Holly. We are Kurt and Nateless got Chris Beam in the back making sure we You.
Speaker 3: Think Nate gonna have to make the stalliones when he comes back, he's gonna be able to drop down and shake it a little something.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that. You know, he still got the back. He still got that back. It's gonna be interesting because he he was he was he was having a hard time getting up and down the hall like it took him. It took him a minute to get to the back door. So I'm so, what was that?
Speaker 3: Need are hips?
Speaker 5: It's probably a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's probably a little bit of everything. Nate. If you're listening to Texas, is it is hips?
Speaker 5: Next he listen? Kurt's probably listening. Nate's Kurt. I'll tell you who's listening. Kurt and miss k upstairs. Hey, miss k that's probably it. It's Kate.
Speaker 3: I was about to say something that I probably should say.
Speaker 5: Sorry, miss Kay, don't say it if you have to.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 5: It's like when you look in the mirror, say should I wear this to work?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: You probably wouldn't Wearah I'm not going to catch yourself. But yeah, so it's probably a little bit of everything. So I'm I'm glad, I'm glad he I'm glad he got it done. Hopefully he'd be he'd be getting around a little bit Better's funny, Nate's the best is the guy, the most random human.
Speaker 3: I was just looking at like past shows and like like we're doing He never mentioned it, like that's the part is insane, like it never maybe not maybe they never. I can never hear the text. Never had no point tell he was like, hey, fellas, at some point, I'm gonna have to Hey shoot prayer for you. Boy. I'm about to go. I won't be in next week. Guys. It just was we got a text.
Speaker 5: That's his bit. I was, that's his bit.
Speaker 3: Was like, bro, Like at no point like there is like you just don't. You don't get up on a Monday morning and say, you know what, we'll run on down here to the to the orthopedic surgeons.
Speaker 5: Get both of these knees.
Speaker 3: Both of these knees knocked out.
Speaker 5: Me like a five hour six stuff.
Speaker 3: People got to put it on the books, like there's preparations. You gotta go. You gotta go in and make sure all your vitals is right to get to the surgery party. Never mentioned it, never mentioned it.
Speaker 5: That's his not once, that's his bit. If I'm having double knees, y'all gonna know about it for a long time.
Speaker 3: I would be like, here's the hostge I would sit flowers and cookies and edible edible arrangements, range arrange.
Speaker 5: Look kind of arrangements. Yeah, So hopefully Nate's back in. He said it's gonna be four or five weeks. Hopefully he's hopefully's back on the show before then. But if not, prayers out to you in all right, real quick, last few minutes of the show. What's going on with Dak? What do you think they're doing with Do you think they're letting this play out and then he's gone after this year? Or do you think they're waiting to see how he plays? Because if you don't do a deal with him now, it's if he hits open market, he's gonna be a top Kirk Cousins got what he got Dak's getting. Dak's gonna be a top one or two paid quarterback in the league because free agents like him don't hit the market.
Speaker 3: If Dak gets to the season and the deal's not done.
Speaker 5: He's gone.
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna be able for here to bring him back if you keep Mike n CD right.
Speaker 3: He's done on an ego, on an egle.
Speaker 5: Purpose, just that he wouldn't come back just because like I wasn't iant.
Speaker 3: I want it import enough to you to do this beforehand, right, Like, so if he gets to if he gets to the season, there's no deal done.
Speaker 5: And then that would be twice that they've kind of with him like that before and not lock him up until it got down to like cutting time. Right.
Speaker 3: But I think, I think, and we don't know what goes on behind the scenes with Todd Frantz and and and and the Joneses. But as the months get closer and closer, because also you're looking at if if I'm a quarterback and and this is also CD, this is also Micah. If I'm if, I'm looking how things are are working themselves out right and how things are kind of unfolding. Do I take my deals now or do I go, You're not gonna stick me here in purgatory for the next couple of years. If I'm if I'm Cede Lamb and I'm saying that you're not gonna give me a quarterback, then I'll take my chances going somewhere else where. I can actually have a quarterback. Because CD wants to get the contract, I can pick my quarterback. I can pick my quarterback right like, because this contract will be the big contract that he gets. But after that, you still want to get to that third one, which is kind of really that you know, you get that really big one. But yeah, I mean this is Ifdak gets to the season and is no deal done, I find it very hard to believe that he he comes back, just I wouldn't. Yeah, Like this second time, y'all played in my face.
Speaker 5: And you know it's crazy. I think half of our fan base would hate that. Yep, and half of our fan base would love that.
Speaker 3: But what they're going to really realize is how lucky and blessed they've been for the last twenty years, right because it's hard to find a quarterback.
Speaker 5: They don't they don't remember Quincy and Chad.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find a quarterback, man. And when you when you flirt, when you flirt with that chick on finding a quarterback, it could get ugly, and you can find yourself in the position of going ten twelve fifteen to twelve fifteen years of not finding one, because now you start, you start reaching like that's a very, very slippery slope and it's the one position that is so vital and important to your You ain't got a quarterback, you don't got a chance. Look at Cleveland, you don't have a chance.
Speaker 5: Cleveland couldn't find one for the last how many years?
Speaker 3: I know all those I mean, And that is this slippery slope that you.
Speaker 5: Flirt with because even the sure things are fifty percent, fifty percent Kaylen Williams fifty percent that he's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Good, Caleb Drake, Jaydon Daniels, all these guys are all fifty percent chance. It's it's about scheme, it's about fit, it's about timing, it's about a lot of different things. Because for every for every Peyton Mannings, there's a Ryan Leaf right for for for all of these quarterbacks, it's it's a it's what was a sure shot in college is not a sure shot in the league. Everyone thought that Bryce Young was gonna come in and take the you know, be the next thing. Same thing with guys like Kylin Murray is and it doesn't look that way. It just doesn't look that way for some of these guys. So for for for the Cowboys to flirt in those waters with potentially finding a new quarterback, boy, you can be on quarterback bumble. Just keep swiping, You'll you'll be Jigsaw. I'm sorry, quarterback Jigsaw.
Speaker 5: Did they swipe?
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're doing, Jigsaw, puzzle piece. You can be finding. You'll be looking for that match. You'll be looking for that match.
Speaker 5: Did you get to that last piece? You're like, we got it, and need you hit that last piece? You're like, oh, no, that's.
Speaker 3: Not it, that's not it. So and that's the thing I think fans will realize. It's honestly, well, I rather I rather go into the season knowing that we don't have a chance, and then going to the season and saying that we have a chance and then losing it at the end. That's not true. Like, that's not true, that's not true. I'll take my chances knowing that we have a chance and we fail at the end. They're walking to the season and going.
Speaker 5: And that's coming from somebody that played Yeah, that's somebody that puts blood, sweat and tears.
Speaker 3: I want to give me my chance, give me my shot, whether that percentage is. I want to know that I'm playing in January, whether that be for one week in January or all the way to February. Don't let me not, because don't let me know in February. I mean in September that.
Speaker 5: Let me roll the dice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this ain't if October comes and I'm like.
Speaker 5: This, am I Where am I going?
Speaker 3: In the off season, they start sending the cars you want to start seems start seeing teams pack it up. That's how right there.
Speaker 5: It's a It's a weird thing, man. It's a weird thing to see this play out publicly with the you know, the family saying that they don't they don't have the money to spend, and then not locking back up, and then not really seeing all these people leave and not bringing anybody in, and what was the uh? What's the state? Cowboys have spent eleven million in free agency and the next lowest amount in the entire league is over three times that amount, and that's the Chargers at thirty nine million. So they're not bringing anybody in. They're letting everybody go. It looks like they're planning for the future to clear out cap space. And if that's the case, then you you if that's your logic, then you can't sign Dak.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest. If that's where you're going, Like if your if your plan is clearing cap space, if your plan is to kind of rebuild this thing, go on in, like for real real, go.
Speaker 5: All in, just start over, just clear it all out.
Speaker 3: Trade CD, trade Mike, get picks, skip picks, Go and go and get with CD and Micah. You can go and get four maybe if it if you can sit down with DAK and you can say, you know what here we're gonna do. I know you have no trade clause in your contract, and know that if we can find a mutual team that agrees to trade for you, would you like, what are what are some teams that you would agree to go? What would you give? Where would you go? Because if that's the case, then I'm taking those three jokers and I'm I'm shopping them. If my plan is to start this thing all over to rebuild, then I'm saying if my court, because if the court, if DAK walks, not only do you not get anything in return for him, you're still own the books for him, dead money, dead money. And again the bigger you get nothing in return, and now you're searching with emptier pockets then you started with. So if that's the case, let's find let's find let's find a partner. Well, we could do a sign and trade and you can go there and we can get maybe a first round pick or two back. Same thing for Michael Micha And should Michael should be able to run you too, first round picks. See, these should be able to get you a first round pick, right vice versus there should be four to five first round picks plus for those three guys. Get them and now let's take them with your first round picks. We're talking now, in the next year or two.
Speaker 5: Then you get both the Dion's kids here, you mean Travis Hunter, his stepson.
Speaker 3: You can keep Shiloh, you can keep.
Speaker 5: Shallow at the top four or five, maybe both of them.
Speaker 3: No, not Shallow.
Speaker 5: That's what he said the other day.
Speaker 3: I think Travis Hunter. He said both Travis Hunter and Shador. Travis Shallow's not going top four.
Speaker 5: I heard that wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Travis hunter athletically will his his numbers will be off the charts. Well, he does all this combined stuff like he's one of those physically freaks. He'll run fast, he'll jump high, he'll he'll move effortlessly, and he might he might who knows? Two way player, but Chador has a chance. I had a chance.
Speaker 5: It'd be interesting. So well, Jesse, this was fun.
Speaker 3: Man, man before yeah, do this more often?
Speaker 5: May let me start a spin off show somewhere. That's the two of us, just two. By the way, that was who was it, Chris?
Speaker 3: It was Bill Withers and Grover.
Speaker 5: Washington Washington featuring Bill Withers, which I don't remember the Grover Washington part, but I do remember Bill Withers. So well, Jesse, this was fun. We'll have a full crew minus probably Nate with special guests Charles Haley next week. Make sure you tune in and catch that. Chris. Thanks for keeping us on the air. What's my man's name, Josh? Josh? Keeping us up on all the socials. Saw Josh this morning, by the way, walking in he's in here, actually, hey, Josh, what's up? Thanks for keeping Chris company, Jazz. We will be back next week. Special guests tune in Hanging with the boys we out.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football How about is your trouble here