Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, and this is stuff you should know. The biopic edition of Henry Ward, who plays him.
Speaker 1: HM.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like technology is getting close to a point where we could dig him up and reanimate him and he could just play himself. So maybe we wait like five years and then do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I didn't even see a lot of pictures of this guy you have.
Speaker 2: He's very plain looking. But if you know, if you know what you're looking at, like a picture of him, he's a wily old codure.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna say, cuss I could have.
Speaker 2: Who would have worked this as well? But you could just you can just see it. And the more you know about him, when you see one of his pictures, you can just see all of it. It's really interesting. But he's very plain working, So I wouldn't be surprised if you'd seen a picture of him just didn't recognize him.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at him now. He doesn't look super familiar, But I mean I kind of have a go to that either. Either. Michael Shannon or Sam Rockwell should play everybody? Right, And I could see Sam Rockwell gussied up here a little bit as Henry Ford.
Speaker 2: What about Danny McBride.
Speaker 1: Build a car with all the pix AND's a little east bounding down joke for the fans out there.
Speaker 2: Sure, I was more a Vice Principals fan.
Speaker 1: That was great too, Walton Goggins, he should play him, get him in there.
Speaker 2: There you go. Maybe they could just trade off halfway through the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and see who f bomb's better.
Speaker 2: So let's get this started. Yeah, let's get this started in here.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, well we're gonna talk about Henry Ford, who by the way, I feel like we don't need some big whopping intro. But I think a lot of people recognize Henry Ford as as the founder of the Ford Motor Company and not the inventor of the automobile, but certainly the gentleman who made the automobile ubiquitous, affordable kind of thing for the common person.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's also strongly associated with the assembly line, which he did not invent, but he just like the automobile. He definitely made it a thing in doing these things like normalizing the assembly line and car ownership really had a huge impact on history, especially the history of America.
Speaker 1: For sure. Shall we talk about where he was born or you want to skip that?
Speaker 2: No, I mean he was born in Dearborn, Michigan. What's next.
Speaker 1: That was in eighteen sixty three July thirtieth, to William and Mary Ford. And his pops was an Irish immigrant farmer and his was a homemaker and had a bunch of siblings. And this is something that you can put a pin in. It's kind of very seems very key to his life, or at least his formative years, is that he went to one of those kind of old school, one room schoolhouses until he was seventeen years old.
Speaker 2: It was literally old school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very old school. But it seemed to be a big deal to him, as we'll see later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So just kind of skipping ahead a little bit. He, like Rudolph Diesel, was fascinated by engines from a very early age and was like, I want to build one of those along the way. Before he got to the point of building things like cars and everything, he tried his own hand at farming like his old man. He got married to a woman named Clara who he would stay married to for the rest of his life, and he got a job with Thomas Edison at Thomas Edison's I believe is Menlo Park complex and had his own little shop and everything, and was very interested in trying to create a gasoline engine after reading an article in American Machinists, which is now known as Hustler.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say, is that true?
Speaker 2: Can you transformation? Though?
Speaker 1: I think one of the interesting things about his early life though, is that, And just for some reason this strikes me as hysterical, is that he had some horse riding accidents when he was a kid, and I kind of was like, you know what I want to I want to get rid of those things, like those are those are dangerous and we shouldn't be writing them or using them for work. And that seemed to be one of the strange childhood drives to start working with machinery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is very strange. It's really not at all surprising. I guess really if you think about it, that his skills at building cars is desire and drive to build cars is what he built his career on, like very much.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: He built a few cars, especially the first one called the quadricycle. It was so named because it looked like two bicycles parked next to each other. Yeah, and he built this thing, like I think he and his friends built the parts they needed or else they stripped other things like steam engines, of parts and really like built this thing from scratch. And then he would ride it around town and caught the attention of some very wealthy people in Detroit, in particularly the mayor named William Mayberry, who became his first real investor, and was like, you need to build more of thanse and we're going to sell a bunch of them. So together in eighteen ninety nine, was it, they formed the Detroit Motor Company. This was Henry Ford's first car companies, his first attempt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his first couple of attempts at car companies in bringing a car that actually could be mass produced and selling the market were not successful. This one folded about a year later. He got investors for the Henry Ford Company next that also failed to bring about a car that he could sell to people. But kind of interestingly that that company went on to become once Ford was kind of shown the exit the Cadillac Automobile Company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I looked up I was always like, what is Cadillac named after. It's named after the founder of Detroit, Antoine de la Mouthe Cadillac, who established what would become Detroit in seventeen oh one. So there's where Cadillac's named after. For anybody who was wondering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we should do a show in caddies at some point. Okay, I'm not a big car guy, but the Caddi's iconic.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean the very least outcast loves it.
Speaker 1: Right. And the thing he did next was, you know, he was always trying to raise money and always had kind of a love hate relationship with investors. Yeah, because he was like, you know, I neither money, but that's kind of all they're good for. Otherwise they just medle in my creative genius. So he set about racing cars to kind of drum up publicity and investor interest. And that's what happened when he started winning races with two cars, the Arrow and the nine to ninety nine, which is, look these things up, they're super cool looking. And that led to some investors, most notably a guy named Alexander Malcolmson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just like building a quadricycle and riding around like setting the land speed record in one of the race cars he built. That attracted Malcolmson. Two in malcolmsm. This time it stuck. Malcolmson helped Ford launch the Ford Motor Company, which may ring a bell because it was established in nineteen oh three, and get this, it's still around today, over one hundred and twenty years later.
Speaker 1: It sure is. Yeah, so I guess you could say this one was a success, starting with the Model A, which started selling you know, I don't know, like hotcakes, but selling well enough in nineteen oh five to keep the company afloat. They were building about twenty five of them a day, had about three hundred people working for them, and started over like a five yearish period releasing you know, different models indicated by a different model letter.
Speaker 2: Did you look any of these up? The C, the F, the and the B and the K.
Speaker 1: I did. Those. B and the k's were the more luxury models, and they're just gorgeous automobiles.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're absolutely amazing, even still today. And then if you look at the more like reasonably priced cars, like the Model C and the F and the END, they're basically just like open air buggies with a motor in them, which is I mean, that's what nineteen oh five and nineteen oh seven and eight cars were in a lot of ways, But that B and that K they're just something extra special. It's really I'm not a car guy at all, and I find those alluring.
Speaker 1: For sure. Yeah, I think we're kind of the same, Like we're not big car dudes. But if you see something like that or the one that the guy did the first cross country road trip in, yeah, like I'm able to be knocked out by a car, you just.
Speaker 2: Go room room. So you said that his uh he had a love hate relationship with investors. I would posit that he had a us hate relationship with them.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Good point to Henry Ford. He was the visionary designing and building cars. Malcolmson gave him some money and was getting money in return. He got his thing. That was their arrangement. Malcolmson was saying, Hey, you're making all these like reasonably priced cars, forget that. We need to be focusing on luxury cars. And Henry Ford bristled with his back turned at his workshop desk and resolved right then and there that he would either murder Alexander Malcolmson or force him out of the company, and he ended up going with the latter.
Speaker 1: That's right. In nineteen oh six, he had Malcolmson successfully pushed out and not murdered. He launched the Model Tea in nineteen oh eight, and this was, you know, the Model T is a is an iconic, legendary automobile because this was finally the one that had that perfect balance of a little bell and whistle action but something that was easy to fix. It was it held up well, it was, and it was affordable for the common person, which kind of cemented him as you know, a man of the people.
Speaker 2: It was an enormous like achievement the Model T was. It sold for like eight hundred and fifty bucks when it first came out in nineteen oh eight. That was the highest price it was ever charged. From what I can tell, that's about thirty thousand dollars today, So it was roughly equivalent to like a Honda Civic or like a Subaru Legacy or something like that. Right at the time, all other cars that were being built were luxury cars, and they were going for two to three thousand dollars, So anywhere from like seventy to one hundred thousand plus dollars to buy a car. Now, all of a sudden, this guy's selling him for thirty thousand, the equivalent of thirty thousand dollars, and car our ownership just boomed from there. You said they were building twenty five cars a day in nineteen oh five. By nineteen thirteen they were selling or building one hundred and eighty nine thousand of them a year, which I haven't done the math, but that's a lot more than twenty five a day.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and good job on not doing maths.
Speaker 2: Thank you. First of all, you say, I speak for myself and all.
Speaker 1: Listeners, and this is a direct result of his innovation of the assembly line. Like we said kind of at the beginning, A lot of people think he invented the car. Not true, invented the assembly line also not true. There were assembly lines at other factories, like bicycle factories and stuff. Oh yeah, there were conveyor belts used in farming and like cattle operations and stuff like that, candy factories, candy factories. Well put a pin in that, actually, But he actually combined those two things in a way that no one had before, where he was literally bringing the work to the people. They would stand in one spot, that conveyor belt would bring along the thing they needed to work on or finish or tinker with or whatever or inspect. First it was a rope, and then it was like a chain assembly, and then it led to definitely some I Love Lucy type moments. I mean that was first of all, the workers didn't like it at all. They thought it was really boring. But it also at times was like I'm not done with the thing that's now left me, and that was a big problem when you had to stop the assembly line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, because before these people were like part of an army assembling a car. They didn't just make this one cog over and over and over again. And like you said, it got very boring, was very repetitive. And the turnover rate for employees at Ford by nineteen thirteen was at three hundred and seventy percent. And that's just churning. That's a really high turnover rate. If that number doesn't immediately present itself as such to.
Speaker 1: You, well for sure, here's another stat off. Three hundred and seventy percent doesn't mean much to you. He was hiring fifty three thousand people every year to fill fourteen thousand jobs.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wow.
Speaker 1: And which was no good. You know, that's never good for a company. But that also that assembly line brought the price down on that model t I think you said it it would be like thirty grand and today dollars. By nineteen twelve, they brought that cost down to what would be about nine thousand dollars plus change in today's money. I think in nineteen twelve it was five twenty five. By nineteen sixteen it was three hundred and forty five dollars. So for a car, it went down from from thirty grand to sixteen grand to about nine grand in today dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wow, that's that's impressive. One other things that was the result of that, that streamlining of costs and the reduction in price was Henry Ford came up with an idea to keep workers around. He said, how about this, you trade your boredom for more money, and worker said, all right, I'll hear you out. And so Henry Ford came up with the five dollars work day. If you worked at Ford, you made five dollars a day at least, And that at the time is equal to about eleven hundred dollars a week. Here, I think, what is that fifty.
Speaker 1: One hundred and fifty four dollars a day and to day dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, but times like seven days a week basically eventually six. So it was it was a pretty good wage and people were blown away by it so much so that Ford was able to basically use it as a pr campaign to it basically be like, I'm paying five dollars and I'm characterizing it as profit sharing because I take care of my workers. And this really helped establish his reputation from the outset as like a man of the people, a populace who cared about factory workers, which is not true.
Speaker 1: True to put that in perspective, when I first started working as a PA in the film industry, I made one hundred bucks a day working at least twelve hour days. Well, they were working. He actually shortened their work day to eight hours a day at one hundred and fifty four dollars a day. So that ain't bad at.
Speaker 2: All, No, it's not. So that really handled that reduced that turnover rate. It got it under under control. Productivity started to stabilize. I mean it proved that, like, if you treat employees at the very least pay them what they're worth, people will work harder for you. They'll it's just a really good way to run a company, rather than squeezing every last time that you can out of as few people as you can. Henry Ford kind of proved that that was not the way to go.
Speaker 1: That's right, but it came with some catches. In nineteen fourteen he came up with the sociological department of his company, and that was a group who, over the course of about seven years would go around and come to your house and do little home visits and say like, oh, I see alcohol in the house, and it's kind of a pig sty. So you don't qualify to get that five dollars a day. If you took in a border like looks like you're renting a room to someone, Sorry, you don't qualify. These are all, you know, pretty vast overreaches, you know, when you think about like today's standards, some of them were pretty good.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: If you had a domestic violence rap against you, you didn't qualify, So you know, good for him for that, I guess.
Speaker 2: Sure, And today I mean, yes, that would be crazy if somebody did that, because instead employers just spy on you through your work computer rather than dropping by your house actually, because that'd be too obvious, you know. So, I think we talked about this in the Ford Landia episode, where like the sociological department was really keeping an eye on people, and in a lot of ways, you're like, that's just insane, and it was. There's another like kind of facet to it that is worth pointing out that most of these workers whose houses were being visited lived in Ford housing that was built right near the plant, and I believe they got subsidized housing. So, based on what I know about Ford, if he paid for something even a little bit, he owned it. So he felt totally emboldened to just send people into your house to see if you were drinking or not, and then that would affect your employment. He owned you, he was paying you a really good wage. He owned you, He owned your house, you owned your family. That's just how he saw things. He could buy anything with money, and he just behaved that way as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, should we take a break, Yeah, all right, so we're gonna We've talked about his career up into this point. We're gonna take a little slight turn to talk about his personal life right after this. All right, as promise, we're going to talk a bit about the man's personal life. We mentioned that he married his wife, Clara Bryant in nineteen eighty eight, and they stayed married, and you know, I had a very close partnership as married people go. But all while that was going on, all the while, he was having an affair. I mean, I don't think you'll see this printed on any Ford Motor Company like official histories or anything, but he had a long standing affair with a woman named Evangeline Coat and eventually would get one of his friends, perhaps even his personal driver to his guy named Ray Dollinger to marry her because it appears as though he had a son with her named John, and was like, hey, buddy, you got to marry this lady and make it look like that's your son, and the whole time we're going to be having this kind of secret affair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the setup. And again, like he paid for Evangeline's house. In Evangeline and Ray's house, apparently they had like at least two or three estates, one of which was just like a couple miles down the road from where Ford lived with Clara. He even built a secret staircase that he could use that was away from prying eyes and went directly up to Evangeline's bedroom. That's greedy and in the seventies, John Ford, who Henry Ford's been an inordinate amount of time with. If it wasn't his actual son, he'd later in the seventies like like, I think he wrote a memoir and said like, yeah, this guy's my he was my father, like that, he was my father. Sorry, if you don't want to hear it, That's how it was. And I think still it was never. It's still never. No one ever took a paternity test. Evangeline never talked to the press about it. Like it's just not officially confirmed. But in every single way besides officially it's confirmed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. During this time, he also had a son named Edsel. He would famously name a very failed automobile after probably on purpose. Yeah, he was born in eighteen ninety three. He was a good dad for about a minute, but once Edseell got to be a little bit older, they did not have a very good relationship. He thought he was kind of a weakling. He thought it was soft. He did give him a job, and he would humiliate him and belittle him. He would even back him to be the president, his son to be the president of the Ford Motor Company, but just in kind of like he didn't have any real teeth in that job because dad was still running the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a really widespread anecdote about how Henry Ford treated Edzell. Edzel could not make a step as president of Ford Motor Company without his dad's approval, and if he did, there was trouble. And in one case, the administrative offices were starting to get overcrowded, so he had a new wing built for it. New office is built, and he didn't pass it by his dad first, So when his dad found out his dead, halted work on it. By this time, they dug out the foundation and Edzel said, okay, sorry about that. I'll just fill the ground back in, and Henry Ford said, no, you won't. You will leave that there and you have to walk past it every day on your way to work and it will remind you of your humiliation. Essentially, that's how Edzel was treated by his father. It's like Henry Ford had a rich kid just by definition, but hated rich kids like kids that were born rich, right, and he treated his son that way. And from what I can tell, his son was not a bad guy and didn't deserve this at all.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean, he might as well have said, I'm going to leave that hole in the ground as a reminder of what a jerk father I've been to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's very sad. Yeah, it's real sad, like he I mean, it's also his son died young in nineteen forty three, at age forty nine. I think we talked about this in the Ford Landia episode two, that he died one of two ways, from stomach cancer or from a bad reaction to raw milk that his father made him drink. Yeah, And even as he was sick and dying, Henry Ford was like, suck it up. He was, you know, stop stop making such a big deal out of this. And as Edgel as it became clear that Edwel was very, very sick and actually dying, Henry Ford is like, oh, okay, I'm going to try to get some doctors out here and get the best of the best, and they couldn't do anything. And when Edzel died, he blamed Edgell's doctors, and then I guess eventually he blamed himself, but I don't know how he did that or how that's documented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, all right, So back to his career in nineteen nineteen. Again he's tired of the investor sort of getting in his way. In his mind, this is amazing. Actually, he lost a lawsuit that basically said you have to pay out dividends to the Dodge Brothers, two of his biggest investors at the time, and.
Speaker 2: Also his competitors who owned Dodge Motor Company.
Speaker 1: The Dodge Brothers owned Dodge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you believe it?
Speaker 1: And by by that time, he was like, I really want to control everything. I want to be able to build a factory that basically handles everything but the tires, because the Firestones have that under wraps.
Speaker 2: Basically Andy was friends with Firestone too, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So he said, all right, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to announce that I'm leaving the company. I'm going to announce that I'm going to build a better company that's going to produce better cars and cheaper cars. And all the stockholders freaked out because they were like, if Henry Ford's not at the helm. This company's going to go under, and so they started selling off their shares. What they did know is they were mostly selling to an investment company that was controlled by Henry Ford. So he ended up I mean, I don't know, I don't know if this is illegal at the time, at the very least, it was unethical. Yeah, but he ended up outright owning the Ford Motor Company basically by himself with his son and wife.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing. I mean, say what you will about the man, but that is one of the wiliest business moves in the history of American business.
Speaker 1: Wiley is a good soft way to tell that.
Speaker 2: I read that when he was when he told when he was told that like the whole plan worked, it was done, he danced a jig in his office.
Speaker 1: Well he loved dancing, he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's not that surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't mention that because that'll come up later too. He had a thing for square dancing, and I tried to get his employees to learn square dancing.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about that in the Ford Lanety episode two.
Speaker 1: It seems like it came up for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, how can you can't talk about Henry Ford not talk about his weird love of square dancing?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean he loved what he loved.
Speaker 2: One of the things he did not love is war. He was an avowed pacifist and he spoke out quite publicly. One of the things he used his recognition and fame for as a man of the people was to use that to speak out against World War One. And that was really dicey because the Espionage Act of nineteen seventeen was used about two thousand times. Two thousand people were charged between nineteen seventeen and nineteen twenty for speaking out against World War One, So that was not something that you just did casually. Like, it was a big deal that he did that. He gave interviews about it. He charted a boat to ride to Europe to try to advocate for peace. It's called the Peace Ship. It was not very well received by the press. He was made fun of. But like, he was definitely a pacifist for sure, But when America entered World War One, he backed it fully.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He did the same thing with World War Two. He was against it until Pearl Harbor, and once America was in these wars, he didn't just fold his hands and say, well, you're on your own. He would, you know, of course, at the government's behest transform the Forward Motor Company into building everything from airplane engines to ambulance in military personnel vehicles.
Speaker 2: And those ambulances would go on to blow up when they were rear ended in the seventies, often with patients in them.
Speaker 1: Were they pentos, They were close.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that Henry Ford was in addition to speaking out about pacifism, he spoke out about a lot of stuff. And he was interviewed once. He was very opinionated, totally convinced that his opinion was correct, like objectively correct. From what I guess a little bit. He was interviewed in the Chicago Tribune and he said, among other things, that he basically hates art and that he quote, history is bunk, that there's nothing to be learned from history. We always just need to be looking forward. And so the same year, nineteen sixteen, the Chicago Tribune, the paper he was interviewed and also published an editorial calling him an ignorant idealist and an anarchistic enemy of the nation. And so he said, you know what, that's libel and I'm going to sue you. And it went to trial in nineteen thirteen and he won. He won six cents, which is less than five dollars today. That's how much he won from the Chicago Tribune. That's how much he was awarded. But even worse, he was just really exposed as an ignorant person on the stand. He was like quizzed about things like history and stuff and just completely got stuff wrong. And all of the papers, including the Tribune, published all this stuff, so it didn't really make him look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was kind of like, I'll take your test, and then afterwards he's like, I shouldn't have taken this test, especially in front of everybody. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Under oath, there was also a.
Speaker 1: Rumor that he might have been illiterate. I don't think that was probably true, and it stems from the fact that he refused to read aloud. But who knows. He may have had some form of dyslexia or a learning disorder, like we just don't know. So it's poculating in twenty twenty four is a little I don't know, I'm not fants.
Speaker 2: It makes it pretty ironic that one of the things he collected were McGuffey Readers, which were nineteenth century textbooks, like he collected them. That's a strange thing for a person who's not literate to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, elementary school textbooks. They were for kids, sure, so maybe that made more sense. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's like, yeah, collect these, I'm definitely not teaching myself from them.
Speaker 1: So he didn't like the press, not just because of this, but he was he was just a lightning rod for good press and bad press. But he got fed up with it. Eventually he was like, you know what, I'm going to start my own newspaper. So he he bought one, the Dearborn Independent in nineteen nineteen, and he you know, basically controlled it and was like, here's what I'm going to do. I'm not sure if everyone knows about my anti Semitic views, so I'm going to start making this newspaper, write lots and lots of articles about how Jewish people are in control of the world and the finances of the world and are responsible for everything bad, including these wars that are happening in jazz music that is leading to you know, drug use. So in all, they ran about ninety one stories in the paper that he would eventually collect into a four volume book called The International jew which he distributed like a half a million copies to people for free.
Speaker 2: Purposely never copyrighted it so that it could be republished, and it still is. It's a huge It's like a bookshelf must for white supremacists still today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The fact that none of the stuff he ever said in it was ever proved or shown to be true or correct has no bearing on that whatsoever. And I don't know if this is the origin of it, but he certainly perpetuated, if he didn't create it, the idea that Jewish bankers secretly ran the world, yeah, which is still a trope today among white supremacists and racists of all stripes. One of these articles, I think it was about Jews taking over the American farming industry, mentioned one guy in particular, a Jewish activist who was a union activist trying to organize farm workers, named Aaron Sapiro, And he was named personally in this article. So he's like, oh, you like libel suits, here's one for you too, And he sued him for libel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did, and I think he ended up settling out of court.
Speaker 2: Right, he did. And part of the settlement was that he was required to make a public apology to Jewish people, which he took the opportunity to make what seemed like a sincere apology, like he'd seen the era of his ways, but apparently privately he had all the same views. And if you want to know anything about Henry Ford and his anti Semitism, he accepted it an award from Hitler in nineteen thirty eight, and this is the culmination of a long time mutual admiration between the two. Hitler cited Henry Ford as an inspiration in mind comp and I think in nineteen thirty one and a reporter from the Detroit News interviewed Hitler in his office and noted that there was a huge portrait of Henry Ford behind Hitler at his desk, and Hitler said, I regard him as my inspiration. So they definitely admired one another's views and work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's enough set on that, right. Sure it speaks for itself, Yeah, for sure. All right, Should we take a break and come back with a little more career, Yeah, all right, we'll be right.
Speaker 2: Back, all right, Chuck, So you talked about him wanting to build like a plant what's called a vertically integrated plant where ore and raw materials are brought in and everything but the car's tires are built and assembled there. Right, Like, if you have something like this, you are extraordinarily powerful in whatever industry you're in. And he built it. It was a two thousand acre plant called the River Rouge Plant, and I think it opened in nineteen eighteen, and I mean it was extraordinarily successful and just launched the company into like essentially a monopoly. Even though there were other car companies, nobody could compete with Ford, to the point where it was like, you know, he might as well have had a monopoly on it. He was just so far ahead of everybody else by this time, Yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure. And part of the success of that plant was due to the fact that he kind of caved a little bit on releasing cars that had some bells and whistles. He like, you know, I mentioned earlier, he wasn't the biggest fan of those and kind of like, you know, the car for the people, but sales were declining in the mid nineteen twenties, so he said, all right, the Model T has done its work. But I think we need something a little more luxurious. So the Model A was released in nineteen twenty seven, and they also sold a lot of those.
Speaker 2: They did. That's another pretty car too. It's like the official car of like gangsters with tommy guns who robbed banks and like run along and jump on the running boards on the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that kind of car. It's pretty car.
Speaker 1: You can hang off the side of that thing with a tommy gun like no other car.
Speaker 2: Right. So I said earlier that Henry Ford had an enormous impact on American culture American history. One of the ironic things are funny things, it's a little ticklish, is that he despised the consumer culture that he helped create. He felt that as people got more money in their pocket, they looked to spend it in increasingly amoral ways, and that the country was turning away from the ideals of his childhood, what he considered true America, what he considered the point of life, family, square, dancing, anti Semitism, these three pillars. Right, He saw people turning away from this, right, and so I think he railed against it, for sure, But him personally, he took that as an opportunity to kind of like fade into this childhood fantasy, this idealized version of the way life was in his childhood. And he did this by building something called Greenfield Village.
Speaker 1: I thought, you're going to say Celebration Florida.
Speaker 2: I know, there's a striking resemblance. I even wrote it's like Celebration Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's also a little bit like his version of Colonial Williamsburg. He started developing this in nineteen nineteen when he restored his original house, and about ten years later it would open to the public as sort of like a Williamsburg of his time. It was like a living history village. There was a museum there still is. He would he would basically like like Colonial Williamsburg would do. He would say like, hey, this is when things were the best, like when I was a kid. Totally definitely a narcissist. Yeah, I mentioned this is when things were most awesome, and here's what it was like back then. Here's what the buildings look like. You can come and walk around the village. It's even got like it functioned as a real place where people live. There was that school in that one room schoolhouse, modeled after the one that he loved growing up they had a full time dance instructor who was teaching square dancing, among other things. And he was told to seeos like, you need to get down there to Greenfield Village. I've signed you up for Tuesdays at seven.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's still there today, right, it's still a living museum open today. I've never been. It does sound interesting. In addition to the look back at history, which is ironic again because he said history's bunk, it was also a way to preserve the great technological innovations of Thomas Edison. He took buildings from Menlo Park and moved them to Greenfield Village. So he assembled his idealized version of what town would have been like in his childhood. And he just spent more and more time there and just kind of moving further and further away from the company. And as he spent less time at the company, he had to somebody had to run the company, so he grudgingly had Edzel running things. He had another guy named Charles Sorenson who ran the plant, that huge River Rouge plant. And then he had another guy, a real scumbag named Harry Bennett, who we've talked about multiple times, who ran the Ford Service Department, which was the Ford goon Squad essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and goon squad meeting they He wasn't a big fan of unionization and workers organizing, so Bennett would go in and do the heavy work. A lot of paranoia, created a lot of literal punishment for just dumb little infractions, saying they couldn't have bathroom breaks, you get fifteen minutes for lunch. I'm going to spy on the CEOs. And if you come around here, like maybe from the UAW the United Auto Workers, and you start talking about organizing, we're going to literally physically like beat you down and run you out of here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you read about what's called the Battle of the Overpass in nineteen thirty seven, it's we've again, I think we've talked about that before too.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 2: Ford Service Department, led by Harry Bennett, who was in the mix, like, beat these people so badly. They were thrown down flights of concrete stairs. When they were knocked down, they would be picked up again so they could be beaten further. Some of the women that were there were roughed up. It was a bad jam. And then they chased their reporters down to try to get their notebooks, try to get the film out of their cameras, and only because a couple of reporters, one of them ran five miles to a police station to keep his negatives intact or his plates intact, and another one managed to hide it, hide his plates just in time and gave him fake plates or fake film essentially to go and break. And this stuff got published and it was totally contrary to Ford's version of what had happened, and it really gave a huge black eye to the Ford Motor Company because you just didn't that was just beyond the paal even for the nineteen thirties, like union busters, right, So it actually held paved the way for the UAW to make inroads and start organizing Ford and the Ford employees finally, i think, five years after the Battle of Overpass, were given the opportunity to vote whether to unionize, and they said yes, union, Yes, si sepuia all.
Speaker 1: Right, So we're at the end. He had not been, you know, some people say he was still calling the shots kind of close to the end. He was in his seventies by the time Bennett was doing his strong arm work, so there are people that say he wasn't super aware of that. Other people like you know, one of the top folks, Sorenson, said, no, he was. He was doing exactly what Ford wanted. But as he got older and older, he obviously started experiencing health issues. Throughout that last decade, he was just sort of you know, declining like we all eventually will, and that means at work as well, like not working as much. Had a lot of health issues, especially his memory. But he still wouldn't like officially give up control or just say I'm just going to go hide away from the public.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We talked about World War two and you know heat activism there in the nineteen thirties and forties. Also was not a big fan of FDR and the New Deal in the nineteen thirties, so he was not shutting up about that either.
Speaker 2: He would have loved social media. If you were on today, he would be huge on social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. We mentioned Edzel died in nineteen forty three and for a very brief time after Ford took over the company again as president. But it was you know, he shouldn't have been running a company at that point.
Speaker 2: No. One anecdote is that he would fire employees and then you know, a day or two later, ask why they weren't at the meeting because he'd forgotten. And so as more and more of the stuff mounted, the executives are like, you have to retire. Please just let us handle as we can do this, and he finally caved in nineteen forty five. Two years later he would be dead April seventh, nineteen forty seven, and I think his last day on earth really kind of illustrates him. He spent the morning with his mistress of Angeline, and he died at night when he had an aneurism while he was fluffing his wife Clara's pillow at bedtime.
Speaker 1: That's not funny, but the way you put it was funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's no other way to put it. I could have said it in like Italian or something, but then no one would have understood what I said, except for our Italian listeners. I don't think we have Italian listeners because you've alienated them all. Oh man, you got anything else?
Speaker 1: No, I'm looking for the compliment sandwich in that one, but I don't think it's.
Speaker 2: Cone the compliment. The last part is that you do a really great Italian impression regardless, and everyone loves it. He said you had nothing else right, so that means it's time for listener maw.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is about the just released episode that part of which was about this mystery song from the nineteen it was eighties, right, yeah, eighties. Hey guys, my name is Nicole and I was just listening to this episode about the most mysterious song on the Internet. I've been listening to it now for about forty five minutes, and a couple of things stood out. Disclaimer. I am German born and raised during the eighties and have been living here almost eighteen years now. Given the fact that I grew up during the time this song was discovered, some things have become rather apparent to me. I am sure. I'm not the first one to say this, nor will I be the one cracking the code, but I find it very interesting. I'm still working on deciphering the lyrics and I have about half of it down and here are my humble observations. Number One, the song is most likely written and recorded by East Germans, given the fact of how dark and depressing the lyrics are. Two, it is somewhat difficult to make some of the lyrics out and some words have been used in the wrong form. Also very interesting. Number three. I find this utterly fascinating and it's definitely a rabbit hole guys. Number four, I wonder if this song was accidentally played smuggle in by someone unbeknownst to the radio station, since it isn't professionally recorded. I found this to be very likely to be the case at any rate. Thank you for making great shows to keep me on my toes and inspire me to think outside the box. This one, in particular will be a great one, especially because I had never heard of it before today. And that's from Nicole.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Thanks a lot, Nicole. Thanks for listening to us over there in Germany. That's awesome. And if you want to be like Nicole and send us your thoughts and observations on an episode that we've done. We love that kind of thing. You can wrap it up, spank it on the bottom, and send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.