Speaker 1: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg Friday Frida egg egg fridagg brid egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump course.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson. I'm very excited to talk about this. Obviously, the twenty twenty six Masters has coming gone.
Speaker 1: We have a repeat champion.
Speaker 3: Rory McElroy gets it done, wins his second green jacket in as many years.
Speaker 1: Really a thrilling tournament.
Speaker 3: He went up, then lost the lead, and then came back and got it done on Sunday. Really, I would say, cementing himself among the greats of the greats, I think he was already one of the great players of the game, and now, especially with many years ahead of him, I would say that it is more of a matter of what level does he get to, And I think there's you know, you could you could say there's an opportunity if things really kind of pick up for a second big run from him here the next few years that Rory could get into, you know, the conversation of a spot on Mount Rushmore, given his accomplishments, his longevity, and just where he might get to in terms of majors. Obviously, the man who finished in second is going to have a lot to say with that. Scotty Scheffler another great tournament despite kind of a slow start. So I'm joined by Trevor Emmlman, a Master champion in his own right, as well as CBS's lead analysts to break down this Masters. Sorry we were a little delayed. I am currently in Scotland, so I had to get over here and nobody would have liked to hear me talk yesterday after my flight over.
Speaker 1: So it had to be today.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so I hope you guys enjoyed this podcast. A huge thank you goes out to our friends at Mercedes Benz. They were our partner for all of our Masters coverage and really helped us elevate our coverage this year of the Masters, and big thanks to them. Mercedes Benz offers a wide range of SUVs from comepack to full size with up to three rows of seating, all with flowing lines and precise edges to balance elegance with aerodynamics. Last week in Augussa, we were driving a GLS. It was awesome, lots of space, drove really nice for SUV. This week I rented a car and I have a GLB which comfortably flip fits three golf travel bags and three suitcases for a week's day.
Speaker 1: So lots of space.
Speaker 3: A smaller, smaller one of their cars, but same thing drives wonderfully. It's helping me as I drive on the opposite side of the road that I'm used to. It drives so smooth and wonderful handling. Of course, both of them have the innovative mbux Ai learning capabilities that recognize your habits and driving preferences to create your own unique driver profile. The Burmister three D surround sound system creates an immersive acoustic experience, with some models including optional speakers built right into the seat. Experience the power and precision and versatility of Mercedes Benz SUVs. Visit MBUSA dot com slash the dash masters for more. That's MBUSA dot com. Slash the dash masters for more. All right, we welcome back Masters Champion CBS's lead analyst, Trevor Immlement. Trevor uh we're done with the ninetieth playing of the Masters, and we get Rory McElroy. Uh, going back to back wire to wire though you know wire to wire might might entail that it was an uncomplicated uh win. It was a dramatic wire to wire win, and Rory McElroy repeats as Masters Champion, and uh it kind of brings a whole new life to kind of the where does Rory go career wise? And it's a it's a fascinating win. Uh, and I'm I'm really excited to kind of break down not just what happened, but.
Speaker 1: Where do we go from here? Uh with it?
Speaker 3: So what uh what are your you know, big picture thoughts on on Rory and and the twenty twenty six Masters.
Speaker 2: Well, big picture is that it was another phenomenal Masters and just flat out brilliant week, you know, starting with the weather and the heat, and you know how the golf course was presented and how these uh incredibly elite athletes performed throughout the week. But you know, the the overarching thought is naturally about the guy that puts on the green jacket and so much fun to see this back and forth battle that all of them had. I mean, if I remember correctly, you know, I'm still still of gathering all my thoughts, to be quite honest with you. But if if I remember correctly, we had we had three different players with two shot leads at some point in the final round in McElroy, Rose and Young Young. Yeah, and you know, then you make the turn and you enter one of the most perfect and brilliantly designed and anticipated second Nines and see these three guys going at it, and then you include Scheffler that's making this late round. It was just so brilliant. But getting back to Rory the roller coaster, alright, he's taken us on for the last two years at the Masters, is just being electric. And you consider last year with the history around the Grand Slam, this year the history around being the fourth guy to go back to back, and it's not over yet because now we have twelve months before we get back to Augusta National and the ninety first Masters, and he tries to create history for the third year in a row, to be the first guy ever to win three times in a row. So gosh, I mean, my mouth's ordering just thinking about that and we're twelve months away from it. But yeah, what What a week? What what a week? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I said this on the Shotguns start.
Speaker 3: But it feels like Rory is like a kid playing a video game where you get to the final boss and he, you know, for for seventeen years, Augusta National is this final boss that stands in his way, and every time he goes up against it, you know, he loses.
Speaker 1: And then you know, last year.
Speaker 3: In the most dramatic of fashions, he in playing extraordinary golf, particularly Tea Green. He was so sharp last year, and he finally figures out how to beat the boss. And then it came back this year, and the first two days it's like, oh, he's got like he knows the exact sequence that he needs to beat the boss, which is Augusta National, and he's running away with this thing. But I think, like it's impossible, it's impossible to not think about the history aspect, and to me, it's like he was floating so freely and playing so freely the first two days without his a game. Yeah, and then it came like the weekend and that reset created almost this time to think about the history that winning a second time and back to back would present, you know, and that all of a sudden, you know, the psychological aspect of winning a major championship, and not just any major championship, the Masters sets in and it's a whole new challenge on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, it has been fun to observe how he's gotten it done after the last you know, for the last couple of years, in my opinion, two different ways. You know, last year felt like the ball striking was seriously impressive, and in fact he's you know, other than a few wed shots, and he kind of missed a few putts down the stretch, particularly on the last hole from four feet to win the tournament. But this year he won it in a different fashion, and it's just really showing the culmination of all this experience he's gathered around Augusta National over the last eighteen years. I mean, this year he rarely didn't have his best stuff at all, particularly off the tee. You know, the power is always there. I Mean, we know that he's an extremely explosive player, but man, he was driving it all over Agusta National. And he won this tournament like a in a Ben Crenshaw or a Sevy fashion by scrambling and by wedging and chipping and putting just in an incredible ash and manner, and it was it was really cool to watch. I mean, even down to the last few holes. You know, the two put on sixteen, which is you know when you it's so so, so, so so good. And I said, you know on the broadcast that him getting it within five feet would be really good. And he hit it down there to tap in. You know, I know how tough that putt is. I've hit that putt and try to chip it and done all sorts of things to try and get it close. I mean, you are you have to be so precise with where you let the ball fall off the ridge to funnel down to the hole. And you know he's putting through a yard or so a fairway, a rye grass fairway that can be quite sticky, particularly later in the day. And then you add in the pressure of the moment and the magnitude of trying to win back to back and the touch that he shows to do that. It's like a one in fifteen putt right there. And then the up and down on seventeen, pretty basic up and down. He was smart to leave himself short of the hole, but still, you know he had to land the ball into an upslope. You know, it's one of those where if you just catch it a hair thin and it launches a bit lower with more spin, it doesn't fly far enough into that false edge and then it grabs on top and could easily even roll down. You get afraid of that and you nuke it and it goes seven feet by. That's easy to do. So you know, he hits a wonderful, wonderful little chip there. So the short game was Stella Man and overall, though if you look at him, you look at Scotti Scheffler, the guys who finished first and second, the fact that they're one and two on that leaderboard when both of them rarely didn't place their best. I think we're in for quite an exciting next five years or so at the Masters with those two like having some great battles, and then you throw in others that will step up and have a great week to throw their hat in the ring as well. It's it's setting up to play out quite nicely over the next few years. But and excuse me, because my mind's going all over the place, and you mentioned a lot of different things there. You know, it's hard to win any tournament's it's extremely hard to win a major championship and the Masters, and when you're trying to join like an elite list at the time of trying to win that tournament, you know, it just starts to add these extra layers of pressure. And I actually felt like, you know, the way he finished round two with all of those birdies and the brilliant player on the back nine. I think he finished with four birdies in a row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he built up his seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so six of the last seven, and he builds up this six stroke lead in a certain way. It almost added more pressure, you know. And I came on the air for our on camera on Saturday, and I said to Jim Nantz, I was like, you know, we've seen big leads last year before. I mean, we all remember Norman with six shots after fifty four holes in ninety six. We remember Speace with five up with nine to play and lost in twenty sixteen. We remember McElroy four up with eighteen to play in twenty eleven and last and I just sort of wanted to throw that caution out there of you know, we've seen this happen before. Rory in his own right, has experienced and felt the pain of losing a big lead, and I felt like that really put even more pressure on the moment because at that tournament, at that moment, the tournament was in his hand, and it's a tough spot to be, you know.
Speaker 3: I think playing with a big lead, I think it's an underratedly challenging situation at a normal event. I do think Augusta National lends itself quite well to these, you know, whatever you want to call them, but these big lead losses, because whether you're doing it consciously or not, I think when you have that big lead, your subconscious just starts to play a little bit more conservatively. And the thing with Augusta I feel like is the targets are so small that the second, whether you or not you know you're consciously doing it, the second you start to shade just a little bit more conservatively, it gets exceptionally more challenging. Like you have to hit those those tiny targets, and you have to swing with such freedom to to get the ball into the right places for the ball to funnel in or for you to have like a reasonable, you know, birdie pipe. The second you get out of those places, it just leads to a lot of stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know better than anybody with your expertise in course design and understanding nuance of those kinds of things. There's so many things to love about Augusta National and the Masters, but when you just you know, isolate the golf course, it rewards high quality shots and severely punishes average to poor shots. And that's why leads on safe because you know, you can have a guy like Scheffler that can hit high quality shots for two straight days and be twelve back after thirty six holes and not make a bogie on the weekend, which is mind blowing golf. How how you don't make a bogie on the weekend at the Masters when it's firm and fast, is I mean, we need to do a deep dive in in how he got that done. And conversely, if you go ahead and hit some poor shots or you string five average shots in a row, there's double bogies around every corner even when there's no water in play, and so things are very very volatile, and gosh, it's just it's just such an amazing big tournament championship style course. Uh and and and so much fun to watch elite athletes at the top of their game compete around there. It's it's marvelous.
Speaker 1: That's the.
Speaker 3: You know, Scotty's really the only one we've seen play great with a big lead, Scotty and Tiger, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 3: It's just where they have this, you know, when they're on, you know, and when Scott he's really on, as we saw this weekend, there's just this an insanely elite precision that comes with it, you know, where they're able to just just tactically take on you know that those targets don't seem that small with their with their skill level.
Speaker 1: And I think, like you know.
Speaker 3: Rory's, Rory's game has always been kind of built around the power.
Speaker 1: And the the.
Speaker 3: The driving ability and everything else is kind of a part of that. I think over the last few years he has gone into the top ranks of the game with his short game and his his putting ability, But like from a precision, precise, preciseness with with the Irons, I think it's always been just a tick below the likes of a Scotti or a or a Morikawa when when Moricow is really on. And I think that's like what shows like I just think playing out there, when you have like in your mind even you know lightly that that you have this big lead, you just are are going to be a little bit more conservative. And that's that's when trouble appears. And it's like, I don't know, it's I think it almost gets harder. Probably as you age too. You just generally as you get older, get more conservative by nature of you know, when you with decision making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at it's interesting.
Speaker 4: You know I would throw I would throw Jack and Tiger and Scotty in a similar bucket of unemotional, very clear thinking and strategic gulfers at a supremely high level.
Speaker 2: Uh. And they just pick golf courses apart, particularly Augusta National, which is what we're talking about now. But Rory is totally different. Whilst on this, you know, on the same level, let's you know, let's just throw that out there when you know, I'm not trying to be controversial in any way. I understand how many majors Jack has won. For all our listeners out there, I understand how many majors Tigers won. And these two guys are behind, but they're they're you know, they're trending nicely but Rory is is is so totally different. He's so emotional. He he takes on shots that sometimes he shouldn't. He gets into much more trouble than what those other three golfers do. And it's one of the reasons why we enjoy watching him because, much like at Jordan's speech, we're not certain about what's going to happen next with Rory. I mean, look how he played the last hole. For goodness sake, He's closer to the tenth fairway than the eighteenth fairway.
Speaker 1: And I was actually a great break that he was like that far right.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best break I've ever seen on the eighteenth hole in a major championship. I mean, the quality of the shot was actually quite similar to if you think back to wingfoot and the t shot did Mickelson hit on the eighteenth hole. Yeah, the quality of shot was very, very similar. Michelson got severely punished and threw away the US Open, and Rory somehow just found this perfect gap that he could hook an eight iron over the trees and the leaderboard back into play and comfortably make bogey. But yeah, you know, Rory's just different that way, and he's always been that way. And what I'm sort of starting to appreciate and a jaw enjoy from him is that he's he owns that he knows it, and he's owning that he's not trying to change his DNA or be unauthentic and anyway he understands that that it's somewhat going to be a roller coaster ride for him. I mean, the whole week he was talking about how Jack gave him advice, you know, no double bogies. Make sure you keep double bogies off the card. Jack and Tiger and Scottie, you know, in a certain sense have an ability to do that, but I'm just not sure Rory does. But on the flip side, you know, he has the ability to do what what he did on Friday and thirty sixth the last seven and just like rarely put himself in a great position for the weekends, so different ways to get it done. And even with Rory, we've seen seen him get it done in different ways the last two years.
Speaker 3: I mean, the psycho analysis analysis of golfers obviously is you know, it's always fun to do, but you know, the way Rory kind of goes through these things feels like the way that normal human beings experienced life. Yeah, he gets it, he gets it done, but it's not you know, you think about most stuff in your life. It doesn't happen easily, and there's a lot of moments of doubt while you're going to a destination and you know, through two rounds, it's like this thing might be over. But like so many times in life, you get to these points where it's like, all right, we did it, and it's like hold on, there's like four more huge things that are gonna happen before you actually get done with this life.
Speaker 1: Achievement that you're you're working towards. And I think that's what that's what draws people in. You know, he.
Speaker 3: Has like a you know, he has a self. He's very aware of of himself and and the things that like he goes through. It's it's fascinating. He said something that I talked about this on Saturday, but he says something about how you know, somebody asked him about planning his Champions dinner and he mentioned He's like, oh, I'd love to say I did it really in advance, but I'm a big procrastinator, and I think about like maybe that has something to do with when you get a big lead, like then you you like I I relate as a huge procrastinator.
Speaker 1: But you know, one time there's breaking.
Speaker 2: News that's not breaking news, right there.
Speaker 3: A friend of mine tweeted something once that was like I thought my wife was coming home on Saturday, so I cleaned my entire house and then I found out it was that she was actually coming Sunday, and I was upset because I didn't get the chance to procrastinate another day, you know, And that's kind of my.
Speaker 1: Bucket of things.
Speaker 3: But I think if you get a big lead in your procrastinator, like your mind just kind of like it's like shuts off a little, like you need there is something to me for somebody that is a procrastinator that golf, there's like different When you have urgency, you fire a little bit more. And maybe that's what it is like with a big lead, is like some people whose minds are made up in different ways, the big lead, it just you lose the urgency of the moment. I'm not sure, but that I will say. You know, he struggled with the with really like tee to green the first three rounds, but in the moment when he needed it. And I think this has probably been a little bit under talked about in the post of it. I thought he was really good tee to Green in the middle part of that final round from basically five on, and that's what stealed the championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I totally agree with that. I mean the double bug at four was just like, well, that was ugly right there. I mean, he hit a hook off the t for the second day in a row and got quite fortunate because he's obviously got a great lie on the Fairway's on a little upslope. He's pitching up hill and he hit an okay pitch, but he left it in the wrong spot about six feet above the hole. And that putt. You know, I've hit that put many times. It's so fast you have to hit it so soft. It's very difficult to get it started online. You obviously a little nervous. He didn't start in a brilliant fashion, so you know, things were a little on edge. He runs it by and then missus nothing. Putt coming straight back up the hill makes double and yeah, maybe that sort of jumped him into that urgency mode. He does, for the most part, respond very well when his back is up against the wall. You know, we've seen that over the years. And then you got a little unlucky on six. He had quite a nice shot on six, and that ball's has flown of odds too.
Speaker 3: Far that I was sitting behind that for a few groups on Sunday.
Speaker 1: It was just humming down wind with that back right. It was.
Speaker 3: It was I couldn't I mean, Justin Rose's shot to get it to stick up there was insanely great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I you know, I don't know when the right time to talk about this is, but there was a lot of discourse about course set up this week and how firm and fast the course was Thursday, and then the idea of of them kind of slowing it down on Friday and Saturday with water, and then Sunday. I thought Sunday was really really well set up. I thought it was really hard. Yeah, and I think this course reflected it. It was really tricky.
Speaker 1: But to me, like Sunday, you you had to hit perfect shots out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should do. I mean, you know, if we if we just I'll get the course set up here in a little bit. But if we stick to that sixth hall just to try and explain to people. You know, you've got about one hundred and eighty yards, it's downhill ten yards, and then you have the wind swirling in and around those those tall pine trees, and the whole location is put up on a plateau that's I mean, it's about the size of an suv okay. So you've got all of those things going never mind the moment, never mind the pressure, never mind the nerves, and you know he's flushed the iron shot. It's gone right at it, it's gone right over the flagstick, and it's literally flown with all of that stuff that I've just explained, it's flown two yards too far, and it takes a very firm bounce off of the downslope. It's sort of it crests and falls over at the back of that green on six, and it's taken a huge bounce. And he's rarely left himself in a spot to where he has to be so defensive from there with the little pitch all the putt, because if that next shot comes out with any heat on it, it goes forty yards off the front of the green, and so he has to be extremely defensive and at that moment, he's rarely just hoping to have a ten foot for power and at worst not make a double bogie. So you know, six was another issue. So he's three over there between four, five and six, and then all of a sudden, like you said, started stringing some high quality shots together. And at that point, if I remember correctly, he was three back Rows was making his run and really the play from seven to thirteen was I mean, about as good as it gets. So yeah, that was when he got himself like back in control of the tournament and then managed to finish from there. As far as the course set up goes, it was very interesting because they hadn't had much rain at all coming into the tournament and so conditions were ideal. I was lucky enough to play the Sunday before it was just magnificent, like so good, and by the time Thursday rolled around it was cooler. If you remember correctly, there was a decent wind out of the north and zero humidity. So when you add that stuff together, I mean it's like a perfect recipe for stuff to get rarely fired up. And the scoring showed that. I mean, it was about as tough as it can get. And then you know, overnight into Friday, everything kind of switched and the wind switched back out of the south, humidity was back, temperatures were up, and to me it felt like that humidity that came back into the air sort of provided that that touch of moisture to make the course play a little differently from there on out. So that that was sort of my analysis of how things unfolded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the important thing too is they you know, they put water down. I think they got pretty much right to the line that they would say is acceptable if you, you know, if you had a conversation with the tournament committee and the in the people to prepare the golf course, I think they got to like right at the line of like where they might have even been a little uncomfortable on Thursday. But the reality with Friday and Saturday, there was no wind. If you if you put a ten mile an hour wind in the equation, those dreams greens would have gotten super firm, and that was the different To me, It felt like the difference between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, which in my opinion, Sunday was just about as perfect as you could get, and the difference between those two days and Sunday was just a little bit of wind, and as if you're setting up a golf course, you have to prepare for. Hey, if ten miles an hour wind of wind pops up, are we going to be okay? And I think that's where you know, Thursday it might have spooked up a little, but I the reality is if you look at at the tournament, I think you still had to hit shots. I on Thursday or on Friday and Saturday, I was still out there watching really good players hit shots that landed in middles of greens and bounced over like to me, you know, Saturday afternoon, Cameron Young, one of the one of the highest ball hitters on tour, you know, tried to get home in two on I think fifteen and it bounced over the green and it's like like.
Speaker 1: That landed on the green.
Speaker 3: This is a guy that can can launch it as high as anyone, you know, yea and so so.
Speaker 1: To a certain extent, I think it was really good.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get back to Rory a little and put kind of a bow on this. Obviously the main one of the big items of discourses is Rory the best European player of all time, h with the with the when he moved to six majors, which tied Nick Faldo, and then he passed obviously Sevy who has five.
Speaker 1: What are your what are your thoughts on the subject matter.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I go to the source and I go to Nick Felder and I listened to what Nick Felder says. I mean, it's two guys that have a great amount of respect for and Nick Felder says that Rory is the greatest European golfer to live. And so when the guy that we're comparing Rory too says it, then I tend to believe it. And you look at Rory's body of work. I believe that's his thirtieth win here in the US. I mean, let's just call it PGA to a win, a whole host in Europe, Grand Slam, back to back masters. You know, you start to add the Ryder Cup stuff in and all the ancillary things that he's done, I would say so. And on top of that, I don't believe he's finished either. I think there's more to come. And you know, we always keep an eye on checking ourselves with recency bias when we do these wrap up pods, and you know, try not to bind into the hype too much. But you know, at thirty six about to be thirty seven, for the most part, extremely healthy, body, is an unbelievable shape, seems to be very, very comfortable in his own skin. You know, I would be extremely shocked if he didn't win, you know, another major from here on out in his career, like extremely shocked. So he's not done yet. And you look at the guys that he's joined now with six you know, you've mentioned Felder, you got I actually have this written Cain, Trevina Michelson. You look at guys with seven majors that he's looking to join, You've got Varden, sarah'sn Snead Palmer. You know, he's on his way here, and it's gonna be fun to see how the sun folds.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's he's spent such a relevant figure in so many majors the last five years, and he's only got these two wins. You know, if you you kind of go back to the old course, you go back to you know La, you know, all there are these majors where he basically you know, he plays a good round on Sunday it's over, you know, and I think Pineercy played really well. It kind of slipped through at the end, but you know, you you look at this and it's like, can to me, there's a real ability probably for him to get to nine. You know, I don't if he got to nine, it's not unrealistic. And then you're looking at the only people ahead of you are Nicholas Woods and Hagen, and then you're tied with Hogan and Player. I said the over under at seven point five on our immediate aftermath, trying to be very conservative. I think like you always get in these moments and you think, oh my god.
Speaker 1: They just did it. It's you know, they're just going to keep going.
Speaker 3: But you know, you get to eight at with Watson, you know that these are it's you know, it's just like kind of amazing when you think of where we were fourteen months ago with the Rory discourse of will you ever get another? He might be stuck at four, Brooks has five, Scotty now is up to four, but like, you know, Scotty's barreling down and Scotty's still right behind him, you know, but you start to yeah, I'm much younger, and but you look at this and it's like, you know, he's got something I thought this week was I think he's the best golfer he's ever been, and it's not even close. He can play anywhere. It seems like the harder it gets, the better he is.
Speaker 1: This week. I don't think anybody.
Speaker 3: Ever in his career thought like, hey, you know what, he's going to pick a part a field and dominate a field on and around the greens.
Speaker 1: That was never expected of Rory mac.
Speaker 3: And you know, obviously the shot that kind of stealed the deal, that won the tournament, you know, among many was the shot on twelve, And when you break down that shot and everything that went into it, it's like the full encapsulation of the maturing and the growth of Rory McElroy as a golfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gosh, I totally agree with that. He does seem to be even more complete. Now. You just think about last year. You know, statistically, I know you love data, so I'll throw some data out there for you. Statistically, last year is his best putting year ever of his career. And you know, we're talking about a Hall of famer, you know, possibly top ten, greatest player to ever lived, definitely top fifteen and last year two decades in, pretty much he has his best putting year ever. And you start to add that to the short game and the wedging, that's that's maturing still has maintained all of this power. In a certain sense, he's even more he's more explosive than what he's ever been off the tee. You know, obviously he wasn't quite as accurate this time around, but you know, I'm sure he'll tighten that up. Yeah, you know, I think if the line is seven and a half, I'm taking the over on that. I mean, I think I think he's going to get to eight at the very least, just because of the wealth of experience now, the self confidence, the maturity in the game, extra weapons that he has, the ability now to know that he's won all these majors in different styles. He's run away, he's come from behind, he's coughed up leads and got it back. You know, he's he has all all of this stuff to draw on whilst still having his full complement of weapons. You know, it's it's gonna be a lot of fun, particularly when you consider, you know, Scheffler is he's the man, and you know you've got guys like Cameron Young that are that are also starting to figure it out and rarely elevating his game to a world class level. And you've got Ramud Deschamba that there's a more of a question mark on. You know, it doesn't quite appear that at this level they're as sharp as what they have been in the past. But I wouldn't put him past it. I wouldn't put it past them to figure it out and bridge that gap as well. And I'm forgetting a whole host of guys, but we're not going to Randers. Got ten to fifteen guys that could step up and challenge, you know, as Rory is at this point in his career. So I've feel like we're poised to have a pretty awesome next five to ten years in the professional game and at the major championship level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a Between Scotty and Rory, they've won four of the last five Majors, which is kind of a jarring stat.
Speaker 2: Look at the Masters. Look Look look how they've run through the Masters in the last you know, a few years. You know, you obviously throw Rom in there as well, but these guys are kind of at a point to where they look, they're going back and forth. You know, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's something to say about you know, just just Augusta and where it's gotten to. You know, you go all the way back to twenty nineteen, you go Tiger, DJ Hedeki, Scotti, Rom Scotti, Rory, Rory. I think that the Masters every year is you know, I think it. I think the the lower and the gravity of what the Masters means is just getting It's getting heavier every year on players, and I think what the way it's kind of shaking out is. It's I don't think we're gonna see any any like. I think it's going to be for the foreseeable future, just monster names that win the Masters because of the way they've been able to evolve the golf course with the technology, unlike so many other major championship courses. And this is not meant to you know, do drive by on ironom inc. But you know, I think there are a lot of questions I have about Irano and being able, like are the bunkers even in play on most holes? But like this, this golf course's ability to evolve with the times, the way they've been able to keep thirteen and fifteen really as relevant par fives over the years because of you know, new t Box is new Land purchases, you know that other courses can't do, but that it is created this golf course that I think like it even from when you played, has evolved into from like because the game's gotten longer. It isn't necessarily just a bomber's golf course. You have to be so proficient on approach, you have to be so good around the greens, and you have to be putting from the right places and you're going to have to make putts to win a major championship to where you know we always go and like, I think port Rush is on the on a level, a really high level, and I think this year Shanna Cox on a really high level. But I think it's this just is probably the best golf course of challenging the modern tour pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. I mean, Shinnecock's amazing. I'm a messifet of Birkdale this year. You know, I have a lot a lot of love for naming, having first played there in the US Junior in the nineties. But yeah, I mean Augusta National has the ability and has done a wonderful job of maintaining the challenge and the original shot value and keeping up with the technological advancements, which I know you and I aren't always the biggest fans of, but the you know, you run down, you run down the top ten, and I'm just looking at it here, like you say, you don't have to be a bomber. I mean you look at turl Hatton and Russell Henley aren't bombers. Justin Rose is not a bomber. Then you've got McElroy, I mean more a coward.
Speaker 1: And then he was hitting it what to seventy all week?
Speaker 2: Well, the guy could barely walk. Yeah, the guy could barely walk. He was making swings that were so unusual. Having watched him play a lot, I mean you could just see that he was really struggling through impact and into his follow through with some sort of spasm in his lower back to where he didn't have the usual motion. But still, through experience and sheer guts and talent, you know he's able to shoot a brilliant score and have a wonderful tournament. You've just got such a great array of players and skill sets in the top ten and yeah. I mean, look, the course of the tournament are just so wonderful. I mean, second to none. It's such a blessing to be able to go back year after year when I was playing and now as a broadcaster and just be a part of it. I mean, it's it's a spectacle.
Speaker 3: It is I'm gonna ask a tough question now, okay, and this is this is the this is the the on the spot. It doesn't you know, you can change your opinion on this in a in a week and I won't hold.
Speaker 1: It to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm asking you today who ends up with more majors? Rory or Scotty six. Rory's got six, Scotty's got four.
Speaker 2: Man, That is a tough one. That is such a tough one. And there's a few reasons why it's tough. You know. I'm a great admirer of both of their games, and the toughness, the determination, the work ethic, the the ability that they have is it's fun to be able to watch and watch up close. The reason it's so hard to answer is just because you're never quite sure what can happen in life. You know, one of these guys get injured and something happened. It's like such a it's like such a tricky one to answer, you know, with Scotty being two majors behind. But what are we talking seven years younger?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right about six six seven.
Speaker 2: So if he can, if he can stay healthy, you know, at times we've seen him struggle with some neck issues and not always be comfortable. If he can stay healthy, I mean he's got he's got a pretty nice start only being two behind Rory. So that is a man that's a tough one to answer. It's like it's like debating, you know, who's the greatest player to ever live, Tiger or Jack. You know, it's it's not as clear cut when you look at the whole picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see, you're not even answering it.
Speaker 2: No, I I think it's you know, Scotty said in his one of his breast conferences the other day, what a dumb question? Like next one? Let's go, next question, next question.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, I gotta say. Later that interview, it didn't get it didn't get clipped very much. You know, everybody clipped the Scotty what a dumb question?
Speaker 3: Later in the interview, he was he answered another question he was running down the Pozzi miss and he goes, you know what, that Wasn't that dumb of a question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he realized. And you know, I haven't spoken to him about this, but you know he's he's got a pretty dry and and interesting sense of humor Scotty, and I kind of wonder if he was just having a little fun there. Uh. But yeah, getting back to the one that is that is a tough one. I mean, you and I could do a two hour podcast comparing to them and wondering and speculating how this could all play out.
Speaker 3: We we did the we did the the the anonymous pull of PGA Tour players insiders, different people are associated with the game at the beginning of the year, and you can see.
Speaker 1: That on our website.
Speaker 3: But I think the general consensus for Scotty, if I'm recalling correctly, everybody kind of settled on nine majors, so and I think I would probably fall in the bucket of like if I I think Rory gets to eight or nine, which makes it a extremely hard It's just two majors is so many as we and Rory McElroy's like the perfect capsule capsulation of what can happen.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, Scott Scotty is you know the thing about him, you know, and I said earlier over in the bucket with Nicholas and Woods, and from a standpoint of consistency, brilliant strategy and being able to maneuver themselves around different types of tests. You know, in his his like never say die, never quit attitude and demeanor has really impressed itself upon me. How for the most part this season, you know, he's he hasn't got off to great starts in the first couple of rounds, but somehow he's still got a chance to win the tournament with nine dollars to play, and that ability even here against these types of players, to be twelve back after thirty six holes and only lose by one's it's pretty ominous for the others, you know, as he just starts to get better and better and refine on these skills that he has.
Speaker 3: That that it's a great point you make about Scotty, the like that never quit attitude. I feel like when people make a cut on their number, maybe they shoot a Saturday seventy three, you know, and they they just kind of like are done and they're gonna go shoot a emotionless seventy two tomorrow and they're already thinking of getting out of town.
Speaker 1: To me, like one of Scotty's.
Speaker 3: Superpowers is he whether it's the the seventy first hole and he's t twenty one, or the you know, the second hole of a major and he's in third, you see the same approach and mentality and desire to compete, Like I think it gets I think maybe one thing that doesn't get talked about enough is Scotty's like level as a competitor.
Speaker 2: I tell you where I've always felt it, but I'll tell you where I really really took notice was this year in LA when he wasn't playing well at all, and you know, they've got these top fifty entire cuts at some signature events, and he had to make like a seven foot left to right Poanna putt just to make the cut on the Friday, and he goes ahead and rolls this thing right in the middle, and he gives it like a huge fist pump, which we don't often see from him, and I was like, WHOA, Like that's interesting. You know, it would have been so easy for that part to just slip by, and every would have excused, like, Okay, Cheffler finally has a bad week and just seeing what making that put meant for him to be able to fight another two days and get himself back into tournament. He ended up finishing twelfth that week, and that was when I started saying to people and in the media, like he's like the ocean. This guy he just never stops, like the waves, and the waves just keep coming. It doesn't matter. The tide may come in and out, but the waves are still like rolling in. He doesn't stop. He doesn't stop if he goes to a tournament, He's just going to keep keep coming, keep doing his thing, and inevitably have a chance with nine to play. It's it's an incredible skill and I raally hope over the course of his career that the majority of people appreciate how brilliant that is.
Speaker 3: When you look at his tournament, I mean, it just comes down to he shot seventy four on the easiest day. You know, he found the water on both par fives on the back nine, and it was it was such an anti Scottie round. And you know, I think you could look at the seventy he shot on Thursday and you could say that was one of the rounds of the tournament, playing in that afternoon, like it was so hard. It was you know, he had a couple putts that were bad lipouts, but you look at it and one of my big takeaways from the week is just how challenging it is to play. You saw so many people play two good rounds of golf in a row. How challenging it is to play three exceptional rounds of golf in a row around Augusta National, and you saw like Rory put together I think I think the final round given what everybody kind of did around him, and you know with Cam like he shot in justin Rose like he should be played a pretty good final round.
Speaker 1: It was a decent final.
Speaker 3: Round, but you look at everybody else and it's one round kind of you could you can look at and be like, that was the round that they lost the term in nine yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And the second nine on the second day really kind of hurt because he made the birdie on ten and then you kind of felt like he was going to kick it into gear. Yeah, and then hits nice t shots on those part fives, thirteen and fifteen, and he's in perfect position to now keep going and start to build momentum, and both of them going in the water is very uncharacteristic, and that that was very, very costly for him and just proved to be uh, you know, a shot too far back, which means which means he could have gone into a playoff. He was only eleven back after the sixs. I mean, the guy is unbelievable. Yeah, you know, we talk about Rory having majors in his future. This guy who he's, he's he's still the player to beat. Every time Schiffler is in the field, he is still the guy to beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could beat him.
Speaker 2: If you beat him, you're probably winning the tournament.
Speaker 3: It in the in the the two of them to me have separated so much from everybody else too, you know, And that's like, you know, I did a couple just sports radio hits, and it's like there's Scottie and there's like a giant body of water, and then there's Rory and then there's an ocean and the rest of the world is there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty accurate, man, pretty accurate. But you know, this game is fascinating and momentum and confidence. You know, we you and I have spoken about this before. It's so delicate. It's one of the beauties of our sport. It can turn in a heartbeat, and you know, it'll be interesting to see who steps up to be able to try and challenge. You know, a couple of years ago it was Ander winning two majors in one season, and then he got a little unfortunate with the rib injury and it seemed to slow his momentum down. He does seem to be on the way back now. You look at some other players, you know in our reference Cam Young earlier, and you know we can we can keep mentioning him. You know, he could turn around and all of a sudden win two majors for the rest of this year, and and and and keep building on that and and then you know you have another person in that realm that is really challenging and becoming a force at these biggest tournaments. So you know, while we are rightfully so giving Scheffler and macelroy all the praise and kudos right now, uh, you just never know who who's about to step up and and really start to challenge consistently. And so it's part of the fun of our job being able to document all of this on the fly.
Speaker 3: I uh, yeah, I just parlayed right into the thing I wanted.
Speaker 1: To talk about next.
Speaker 3: One quick note that I just realized looking over the board and looking over OWGR and I don't know how many times this has happened, But do you know who won two, three, four in the OWGR is well that you're the chairman of. Yeah, I want to put you on spot with your know.
Speaker 2: I do know that. You know you've got McElroy and Scheffler who are one or two and finished first and second, and you've got Young right up there.
Speaker 1: And Young finish T three third. Do you know who's fourth?
Speaker 2: Well, now it's Rose after the Masters.
Speaker 3: Who finished T three. So it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That sounds like we know what we're doing, Andy.
Speaker 1: Contrary to one tours maybe one tourist belief. Maybe you do.
Speaker 2: And by the way, just a quick shout out to the WGR. Last week doing the Masters was the forty year anniversary of the start of WGR. And so you know, I've only been involved for a year now, but been a ton of people that have put in a lot of work over the years. You know, a lot of good work, a lot of a lot of changes and adjustments over the years two to rarely maintain what I believe has been a great asset to our sport. So I just want to give a little shout out to to everybody that's been involved over four decades at WGR.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh, yeah, that's uh, it's been I mean it started with Bernie Langer, the first number one in the world way.
Speaker 1: Back for trying to go.
Speaker 3: Now, let's talk about world number three, Cam Young obviously one of the players that was a huge you know win h to me. And this is just you know, you could probably statistically get there, but there aren't many people that you watch play golf in particularly fifty four holes with Rory Backleroy, where it's like this guy can hang, this guy has has it. And I think, you know, we've seen him now nineteen major championships. He's got seven top ten finishes in nineteen major championships. This week, you know, had a real chance to win. I think he was a little squirrely on Sunday, which is understandable. You know, probably the first time where he's you know, held the lead solo outright and felt that WHOA, I might win a major feeling, but that being said, you know, seems to be ascending into a kind of his kind of in that to me right now, in the realm of of the rom Bryson category of major championship player, and and I you know, I'm fascinated to see where it goes. There's like, obviously a couple things in this game that could be cleaned up, the wedge play, but once he once he gets that all sorted out, he the demeanor, the disposition, everything just feels like somebody who's gonna win at least one major, maybe more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with you. I'm a huge fan of his and his family quite honestly great people, normal, down to earth, wonderful people. And it's been so much fun to see his growth over the last let's just call it eight months or so. You know, you go back to everyone questioning whether he can get it done, even just at the PGA Tour level, and then youans Windham, which really is not necessarily a golf course that you would anticipate him getting his first win on, and then the incredible play at the Ryder Cup, and then the players and now having another shot. I mean, he's had a bunch of top tens in majors like you just touched on. I'm just a huge fan. I mean, great skill set, love his demeanor, you know, I love the stoicness. I like the fact that you know, he just does his own thing, he's not perturbed by it. And now with him much the same way as McRoy, obviously hasn't won nearly as much, but he really has turned that potter into overall when you look at the thirty thousand foot view into a weapon and you start to add that to his driving ability and long iron capabilities. Yeah, I think he's one of the guys like you touch on, like a ram or a Deshambo, that could pop up at any moment and win one of the biggest events.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a quick break here to talk about our friends at B Draddy. They've been our long time apparel partner here at Frida Egg Golf and I got a great it was really a heartwarming text. I've obviously been on team Draddy for years. A friend of mine, a close friend of mine, just recently ordered from the Frida Egg Pro shop one of their new cool polos, and he had been a big fan of other golf brands before this and he said, this has moved me to Team Draddy. You know, everybody knows b draddy for their signature cotton polos or Liam Pocket cotton polos, which I think are a fantastic But one of the areas that they've been making leaps and bounds and keep getting better is in the cool Cool fabrics and their new cool fabrics. They have a few new key pieces of the Cool Olan, which is a great lightweight sport hoodie, the Cool Larson, and the Cool Jake. They also have launched Dradty for women. It would be sure to check that out and they'll be outfitting the US Solheim Cup team this year. And if you want to see their full line and get a discount, code b draddy dot com. That's b draddy dot com and use the promo code SGS thirty for thirty percent off. Big thanks to b Dratty for outfitting us all last week and this week with their their great clothes layers as well as zero restriction. That promo code SGS thirty works at zero restriction as well. Big thanks to our friends at BAT. Let's get back to Trevor. You're I think the same age as Justin wrote.
Speaker 2: I'm six months older.
Speaker 3: What what's it like watching him do what he's doing at this age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. I love it. I love it. It's the same with Adam Scott. We're all within six months of each other age wise, and been competing against each other since we were thirteen years old. I have a ton of respect for Rosie and how you know, He's discipline and dedication has has really stayed at the same level through all these years. And you know, I said this on the broadcast, like he's a he's a he's a big moment player, you know, And I get a real kick out of that. This one is going to hurt, no doubt. I mean last year. Last year definitely hurt because you know, you're right there at the end in a playoff, but you know, going into Sunday, how big of a chance does he have. He ends up making ten birdies in the file round in twenty twenty five and Rory stutters down the stretch and then all of a sudden, this opportunity is like, in a certain sense, thrust on him. But this year, when he's got a two shot lead and he's making the turn and he's standing at the top of the hill on eleven in a certain way, in control of the tournament, and then doesn't win. It's definitely going to sting. But yeah, to see him have all these opportunities over the last few years in major championships is a blast. Man. I love it. I'm so happy for him and proud of him. And you know, he's hungry. He's hungry to win, and he's willing to put the time and the effort in and it's still showing incredible discipline with recovery and preparation. And so would I be surprised if he begs another major. Absolutely not. In fact, I'm rooting for him. I hope he does it. I think it'd be an unbelievable story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I this one had to kill, you know, between between eleven and twelve. Obviously eleven, you know, just kind of a loose swing there, but then thirteen, I felt like he felt like he probably needed that eagle. I think he had. You know, Rory talked about getting to fifteen, was in his mind all day and he's like, it's over. I think all these guys had like numbers in their mind, and I think it all it ended up being lower than everybody's number, which is like kind of why you should operate. A lot of people will say why you should operate without a preconceived number in your mind, because you never know what it's going to be. I thought Adam Scott, obviously your friend in contemporary with with Justin. One of the comments he made after the round after Sunday round was that he understands his tendencies and has like built his game around those tendencies. And he I think he said something along the lines of, I've never seen a player that understands themselves so much.
Speaker 2: And he's talking about Justin Rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking about Justin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with that. I totally agree with that. You know, it's just a culmination of so much experience and being able to implement that experience in the right way. You know, at times, experience can hurt because it can build up some scot tissue that you're not able to overcome. But those two guys, in particular Justin who we're talking about now, having had the lead deep into the final round, you know, he's utilizing it in such a such a wonderful way. And you know, for me and I haven't spoken to him about this. I'm just giving you my opinion, having watched very closely, is it felt like he was a little bit in between clubs on the second into eleven, and he went with a bit more club, just trying to ease it up that right side. I mean, really, anything on the green is a great shot, particularly when you're leading, but when you know you might have a little bit too much club and you know you can't go left, and he was kind of felt like he was guiding it down there, and it was an uncommitted swing just at the wrong time, and he left himself in such a difficult spot having to loft it over the bunker and stop it in time so it doesn't go into the pond. So then you make the bogie there, and it just it becomes a pivotal moment in the tournament now because now he's just made the mistake at the start of Amen corner and he goes to twelve, which is like it becomes a really really heavy moment with all the history we've seen unfold at twelve over the years that the Masters, and he hits a decent shot and the ball ends up just over the back, but it's not on the green, and so now bogie is it is in play. And then once again he finds himself in between clubs. You know, does he chip it? Does he putt it? And decides to go with the chip and poor execution, and now he's made two bogies in a row, and like you say, now he's got a press and he's a great t shut and a great second shot and uh yeah, maybe a little too forceful on that putt down the hill on thirteen and then misses the comeback and at that point it just felt like he had lost all the momentum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the.
Speaker 3: He's such you know, you look at his game too, and he's just like the perfect encapsulation of being really exceptionally well rounded. Like he's not overly long, but he did a lot of work at a pivotal point in his career in that early twenty tens to gain that speed that has allowed him this great longevity. You know, his iron play has always has been really good, but never you know, transcendently great. His short game is really good, his putting is really good. And if you include four moments like in when you need a putt, he is I think among the first that you would pick, but you like, go down the list and it's there's nothing extraordinarily exceptional, but the way that he puts it all together is just another class of like, you know, the ability to just get your game ready for these tough tests.
Speaker 1: And I thought, like this.
Speaker 3: Weekend, he had the tournament in control and he had not putted well, and it just to me, this week felt like almost like a continuation of Saturday last year, where he was hitting all the right shots, he put himself in all the right positions, and he just couldn't get the putter to go on that one run that he needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't really have too much to add to that other than you know, you look at all the skills that he has and how he's been able to maintain that over a very very long period of time, and you add to that the you know, if you're grading at the A plus mentality and toughness when you consider, you know, what he had to fight through early on in his career to be able to still all this time later be at the top of the sport in the biggest tournaments. It's it's remarkable. Man. I have a lot of a lot of respect for that, and like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he pops up and bags another major.
Speaker 1: We talked about Bori Kaua.
Speaker 3: I thought that was like outside the Winter, the performance of the week in terms of like T seven without anything. Were there any anybody else you know that you were really happy with their performance and what they did this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you got to give turl Hatton a shout out. Some really great play during the week and then on Sunday finishing the way he did. I mean he burnied thirteen fourteen, fifteen sixteen, and for a little little while there when he posted ten, you kind of like, you know, as those guys were making some mistakes around Amen corner, You're like, gosh, this this may be interesting here that this guy finishes this early and might sneak himself into a playoff or something like that. So you got to give him a shout out. I got a lot of respect for his game and be interesting to see how he builds on this in the major's remaining in this season. So I got to give tur awesome love. Russell Henley, I mean he's now had five top tens in his last nine majors. So he's around and about when it matters most. Marikaua extremely impressive, you know, with what he was fighting. One more that I'll give a shout out to is Max Homer. How about Max Homer bogie free sixty seven on Sunday, Eagle thirteen, birdie sixteen, birdie eighteen. You know, it's been well documented his struggles over the last let's call it a year to eighteen months or so. He got into this tournament by finishing top twelve last year and took full advantage of that and has done it again and has guaranteedy spot into the twenty twenty seven Masters. So you know, good on Max. I'm a fan of him. I like him a lot as a person, and you know, I know how hard he works and how much he wants to play well and be a factor in these tournaments, and so I got to give him give him a shout out for having a great week and a great Sunday.
Speaker 3: Also feeld like he feels at home and August the last three years T three, T twelve nine, So in the next the teeth like he was in it, he could have won.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's done some great work getting his long game back into shape and starting to own that trusty fade that we saw him utilize so well when he was winning PGA Tour events a few years ago. And I walked a few holes in practice with him on Tuesday, No, Wednesday, excuse me, Wednesday morning. His short game, you know, his little chips and pitches around the green. His technique is money. I mean, he really gets unbelievable friction and control on the ball and able to hit high spinners, low spinners, you know, low hooky ones that run out like he's got all the shots around the green and that that's a huge advantage to have around Augusta National because if your iron plays just a little off on one of the days and you miss five or six greens, the ability to be able to maintain momentum and hit great chips and pitches to save pause and wait until you can get on a run and find some rhythm again is huge. And he does have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I gotta shout out Sam Burns.
Speaker 1: I was super impressed by.
Speaker 3: Saturday, in particular in the moment, you know, in that fire pairing with with Rory and played really really strong golf, and obviously the second hole kind of kind of killed him on Sunday, uh making double there. But you know, he's now been really in position to win three majors the last couple of years. Got I would say, kind of a tough break at the US Open last year with the with the casual water ruling. But I think he he's someone that I you know, I didn't ever anticipate being you know, kind of I think he's going to get a major championship, though it is kind of where I'm I'm I'm leaning because he keeps finding himself in the mix, which is the number one thing you got to do to win one of these.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was very, very impressed with his Saturday performance in the final pairing playing with McElroy. Who's got the defense, he's got all the crowd support, he's the defending champion, and really, you know, he brings a lot of juice wherever he pitches up, you know, kind of like Tiger, and for Burns to go out there in that situation of b bogie free on that Saturday, I think is something that he's going to draw on a lot going forward in majors. And he proved to himself even though he didn't go on and win the tournament. He proved to himself on that day that he does have what it takes. And so yeah, I'm in agreement with you there. All right.
Speaker 3: What's the one thing you're most looking forward to for the PGA, which you will be You'll be in the booth for.
Speaker 2: Well. I think it's going to be great to get back up to Philly. You know, great fans up there, passionate fans love this sport. Like I said, I have a soft spot for ronhim me for a couple of reasons. Gary Player won a PGA championship there. It's where I played in the US Junior many years ago. Unfortunately lost in the final. Not that I'm still bitter about that. I lost to Jason alright on the last hole. And so I just love that area and I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping we get some some good weather throughout the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think it'd be a good one, I really do.
Speaker 3: I Uh, I think iron makes really good test. I'm worried a little bit about the bunkers, but those greens are fantastic and I played. You know, this is not meant to be a humble brag, but I played it on a successive days. I went from Shinnacock to Mary into there, and I think those are the actually the best set of greens of the three. I think, like what what I'm really interested to see is those. It's kind of got a little bit of Augusta to it, where if you miss, you miss that little target that you need to get to. The lag putting is exceptionally hard. You're putting up over and then with big sweeping putts. So that's something I'm looking forward to. I I I hope we get some good weather so it can be presented firm of firmish. But the greens are really special out there, spectacular set of greens.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And around the greens too, you know, you've got a ton of runoffs and closely mown areas, so you guys are going to have to make sure that that they're really controlling the low point of their arc and getting great contact on the ball to be able to control it on that second bounce. So yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it should be. It should be a great Major.
Speaker 3: This was pretty much the perfect way to kick off another major season. Rory getting the win and uh, you got obviously Scottie, but I you know, I think there's just a slew of names as you as you hit on in that next tier that all these guys know that their their their lives, their careers are are kind of defined, whether fairly or own fairly by major championships.
Speaker 1: And and unfortunately.
Speaker 3: They've they've picked an era where you've got two monsters, you have to go accounts every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and you know, we we've spent the majority of this pot as we should, you know, talking about the the winners, let's just say the winners of of the Masters and guys that performed extremely well under intense pressure. But you know, two two big dogs in Ram and Deshambo had a pretty rough week, the Shambo in particular, and uh, you know, we know their capabilities. These guys are multiple major winners in their own right, and we know their capability, and uh, they're gonna be uh pretty annoyed, I would say, coming into the PGA Championship. And I'm sure it's gonna light a heavy fire under them. And so I can't wait to see how they respond. Can't wait because they are great players and great champions. But Uh, you know, like we touched on, you know, Rory's ability when his back is up against the wall. Uh, you know, we're gonna need to see some of that from from those two guys. Keep you know, keep pace, keep pace with with Scheffler and McElroy.
Speaker 3: They will see that and uh it seems like there might be questions on where they can respond in the near future. But that's a that's a podcast for another day. Yep, Trevor, thanks so much as always for joining us. Uh Aronomics just around the corner. Can't wait, can't wait to chat in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andy, listen. Great job to you and the whole crew at the nineties Masters. It was great to read and listen to the awesome breakdown and different angles and storylines that you guys were covering. So well done. Get a little rest and we'll fire it up again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Trevor Chess. All right, thank you for listening to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. We're in the major season. There's only a couple of weeks away. We'll have some pods coming out. As of right now, as I'm recording this, I'm getting ready to go do a live podcast in St. Andrews about the old Course. We'll probably release that in the next couple of weeks, as well as a few other interviews we have been before we dive into the PGA Championship, rolling ahead, Can Rory get another one? Could Scotti get another one? Or will it be somebody else? All right, thank you and we'll be back next week. Big thanks to PJ Clark who worked his ass off last week and produced this pod. I hope he gets some sleep after today.