Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh that's just you. Yill Moore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast. We're back for some Parenthood Baby, Season one, episode three.
Speaker 2: Everybody's loving Parenthood, like all our producers. Everybody's like real happy. So to the voters, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Bravo, bravo, bravo. You really steered us in the right direction. I don't know anything about Mazel, however, this was a great, great, solid choice.
Speaker 2: So Mazel's also awesome. I'm not gonna lie like Mazel's great. I'm not even sure I could say which is better. They're both great. They're both great, so it's a win win. We're around for the next one hundred.
Speaker 1: Years, for as long as you'll have it.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the opening credits this time?
Speaker 1: I did? I did, and I made a point to watch them because you called them out last time and I loved it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, get a little stucky in your head, though, may I'll always give you blessing.
Speaker 1: That they like, you know, showed baby or younger photos of themselves, so so cute but very cool. Nice synopsized this one. So everyone knows. The episode we're talking about, Season one, episode three, The Deep End of the Pool, Max Face, is a setback after being expelled from school, Sarah ent her relationship with Jim Crosby, bonds with Jabar during a fun day together, and Julia struggles with feeling disconnected from her daughter's life.
Speaker 2: Where to begin? All right, so let's talk about Yeah, you tell me, who do you want to start with? Let's go storyline.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Julia Braman. I'm bad at and I literally die for her.
Speaker 2: That's just subtle line. But did you hear? Okay? So, so Joel and the daughter are in the pool, and then that hot to trot lady gets out, and the daughter's like.
Speaker 1: Mommy, she has a too oh my god, she's a tramp stamp.
Speaker 2: And Julia under her breath she says, can you see it? And then under her breash says everyone can see it? Like it was like she is so good the subtle sort of lines.
Speaker 1: She's also handling it so freaking well. I would be a jellous rock.
Speaker 2: But the best part is it the rock. Everybody carried the rock, the rocks lived on, lived on. I was like, I'll take that rock. She's like she almost bowed to her. She's like, like, here is the rock that's going to help you through this hard time.
Speaker 1: Like I was just like, I just I have to. I have to give props for props are due. And Julia is handling this so well in my opinion.
Speaker 2: This woman that's sort of like infiltrating into her.
Speaker 1: I would have slepped her by now, Like the woman.
Speaker 2: Isn't totally doing anything that awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah she is. She's so annoying. She is so annoying. Oh my god, the rage I feel when she is on screen. I'm like, can she just go away? Please keep the rock to yourself.
Speaker 2: First of all, did you notice she used the parking place too, that Erica Christiansen's now using her porking place. Wait, okay, so she comes out in that swimsuit. So this is like basically for people listening that aren't watching, like the Joel's having swim lessons with the daughter and they're just really being slow about it.
Speaker 1: You're like local Ymca, like you wear a skirt, Like, I don't know you you.
Speaker 2: Wear what Lauren Graham wore at the end. Did you see Lauren Graham rock in the Tankini at the end, like the little in his skirt. I was like, respect, I should.
Speaker 1: But that's what you wear. You're like cheating your children how to swim. And she's in a skimpy little two piece right off. Oh so it's.
Speaker 2: The swim class where she's like, Mommy, watch me swim and then she like blows bubbles and Erica Christensen just will not have it. She's like, that's not swimming, Like she's just like swimming.
Speaker 1: And the background is Julia Is I guess an e leech swimmer of her past, like she was a great swimmer.
Speaker 2: She also was in swim Fans, So was Erica Christensen? Can somebody find that out? Like, was Erica Christensen some sort of high school swimmer because.
Speaker 1: This is in like real life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she did swim Fan. Do you not know swim Fan? She was some sort of like big time swimmer and then she turned psycho. I think on a boy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the movie.
Speaker 2: It's like a horror movie. It's like a really good it's almost like a tea in the horror movie. So maybe she could swim in real life anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh, she is that.
Speaker 2: Because the odds were with us, like she did one movie where she was a swimmer, and now she's swimming in this okay, so then the kids in the bathtub and she's like, that's not swimming.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not swimming because all the kid was doing. You can tell they have those things. So right now my son is uh, he loves the water, and and so my husband and I are looking at, okay, what kind of swim. Let's put him in some like swim water acquaintance or water what what they call it? Water familiar Like I don't know, yeah, water safety like introduction to water class. Essentially, they just like kick a little bit. And my husband is a he was a competitive swimmer too and also a water pole player. So he's like, oh, we've got to do like swim class not not like very similar to Ulia's character, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I didn't know your husband was like, A, that's his thing.
Speaker 1: He wants like our son to swim so bad. Oh yeah, I'm like I know nothing about swim.
Speaker 2: Also, it's so important to be safe too.
Speaker 1: For sure, but yeah, I mean so this is it is like a very very real thing.
Speaker 2: Also, your kid is what not two and you're in a half correct and she's seven or it's kind of apples and oranges.
Speaker 1: There's a big difference, but I get it. I feel her pain because she's like, she is not swimming, she is blowing bubbles. What are they teaching her?
Speaker 2: Also though, when she shows up to the pool with her I mean it is first. I was a great scene. She's so like walks out there like she's Mark Spitz and it's the Olympics.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Mark, and.
Speaker 2: I always think of him, but Phelps, okay, fine, Ryan Lochtey. I don't know who else is, Like, what's that one who just won the that cool girl Katie laid Decker Lie Decker? Yes? Is that her name?
Speaker 1: Ai DECI thank you, Emma. I knew it wasn't right, but it.
Speaker 2: Was fishing, and I was so close. My brain works just like sometimes like we're anyway and.
Speaker 1: She's in that like blue that navy blue goggles goggles a cap, She's got a swim cat with.
Speaker 2: The cap and then she just dives it in and everyone's looking and she's like, want me to teach you to swim? And then she says to the daughter, swim to me, and the daughter freaks the.
Speaker 1: Head she's holding onto the ledge and yeah, and she's just like.
Speaker 2: And then Eric like, you swim. Now it has a happy ending where it actually worked and she did swim, but the whole pool is looking at her like she's the worst mom on.
Speaker 1: The she's letting her daughter drown.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And the best part is when the daughter got out of the water, she was like and.
Speaker 2: She's all, Dad, she say you would she say you try to.
Speaker 1: Drown, something along the lines of you're you made me drown? Kind of right, murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, solve such a good storyline. And then we're skipping to the end. I'll go backwards, but like it does have sort of the happy music video at the end of a lot of episodes right where it's like they're all swimming in the pool like one big family. And also there was no one else at the pool.
Speaker 1: No one else at the pool, and also they uh and and then well we'll get to when we talk about Crosby.
Speaker 2: You do Max? Do you want to do Max? First?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about Max. He got kicked out of school.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry, but they that acting and writing.
Speaker 1: The three of them, well four, even Amber the Emmys, amper what's her name Hattie Hattie.
Speaker 2: Oh Hattie, Yeah, Sarah almost she's yeah.
Speaker 1: The four of them, that family just there, they're acting is so amazing.
Speaker 2: The fish tank Max, he and I get it. It's like that was really I understood because he the bubbles were so loud that it was impacting him and he just hammered the fish tank. I get that. I like that. We don't see that that we see the aftermath of it.
Speaker 1: I thought there were no survivors, no survivors.
Speaker 2: So he's out, So then you know they they're in with that doctor, which Crosby was the one who got them in, and now that you know they're they're going to get him into this school. So I admire their whatever the word is, like, they're not stopping.
Speaker 1: Their determination, like they're gonna they're gonna get the best.
Speaker 2: Now is that the most like accurate? I don't know, Like I think it's a lot harder to get into those schools than they maybe made it seem. They made it seem a little hard. Oh my god. How about when she's pulling every single thing out of her purse? Oh do you want nuts? Do you want an apple? Do you want this? Do you want that.
Speaker 1: I get that. I get that you do anything to be like do you want an apple? Do you want a granola bard? Do you want a pouch? Do you want this? Like you just like everything. The hard boiled egg was amazing. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So that was good. And then that the fact that they do address the sibling to the autistic child or the special needs child does get forgotten. She gets forgotten.
Speaker 1: They didn't show up to her soccer championship games.
Speaker 2: She's sitting there just like with her backpack.
Speaker 1: And she just straight up tells her dad it's And the thing that I found interesting and not interesting but powerful was her dad was, you know, I'm I'm so sorry that for the last you know, a couple of months, it's been it's been hard. And she's like, no, dad, it's been it's been years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all's it out. And he did well as a like they're good parents, like how they respond all the things, you know, And also when he was I think this was in this episode. Then Max is sort of having a Melton and she handles it the sister. Yeah, do you know what I'm talking about in the beginning, like it's definitely like she steps in and handles the brother a lot.
Speaker 1: You can tell she's very in tuned with him because when she, you know, when she came home and she was excited to tell her parents something, and you know they they were like, oh, yeah, today today, you know, this was when he got kicked out of school. Today was you know a day, how was school whatever? And she literally goes straight to Max, Max, what happened today?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? Right? So she's just parenting as only a sibling.
Speaker 1: Cam Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: So okay, So the heavier storyline for me in this one was Sarah was Sarah Braveman. Laura Yah, And shout out to everybody on Instagram who also sees what I see that there's a lot of Laura Liae in Sarah Braverman for sure.
Speaker 1: Otal sure.
Speaker 2: So first of all, I love the coffee shop, all the free coffee, and they're all so happy and then they just are like you're done, Like you're done.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy we got the payoff at the end, because I thought that was the end of the two of them. No, I'm like, nope, they're still gonna be still giving him in there. What's his what's his character's name? Michael Maley Jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's real hot in high school. So we get some heaviness one about the car right, and we get in some bonding between Lauren Graham and her son. Also the bed scene, just with her. First of all, I don't know why she's sharing a twin bed with may Whitman, Like there's got to be another option, even the couch. But yet them may Whitman with their arms flailing hitting Lauren and Graham. I mean, it's so good to sleeping, and she's all I'm just oh my god. First of all, respect to sleep.
Speaker 1: Sleep is one of the most amazing things in the entire world.
Speaker 2: And somebody said there's like a comedian that's a whole bit is like when you reach a certain age, your whole thing is just about how did you use sleep? Sleep? I often am in the bed by myself, so I'm like, how did I I sleep? Like I literally analyzed my sleep by myself, just.
Speaker 1: Going oh my god, No, I did good, you did good. You got seven plus you're good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh gosh, but I could use nine. I know my sweet spot is nine. I never get it, but nine is nine is what I need. And also here's the key to sleep. Guys. If everybody wants to know fifty year old ladies, shout out, make that make that shit cold, make that room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, go to bed.
Speaker 2: Go to bed cold, be like I'm so cold. You're gonna be You're gonna be happier.
Speaker 1: With You're gonna sleep hard.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I had to turn my fan on last night. You know that I sleep with my house fifty seven.
Speaker 1: Degrees fifty seven degrees.
Speaker 2: When it sometimes it's sixty, but when it hits fifties fifty eight, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh you're in an in glue.
Speaker 2: Call me when you're fifty. The difference of hot to cold when you are fifty is like the words i'm cold, I'm not one hundred percent sure I utter them.
Speaker 1: I have a question, this might be too personal. Do you wear it's like a flannel pj's to bed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not dead of winter. I'm basically sleeping in the tiniest shorts you could find and the tiniest tank top you can possibly find.
Speaker 1: Because I was gonna say, why don't you just alter what you wear to bed? But you seem like you already did that.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, thank you, doctor, I've done that. No, I have to have a fan in the middle of winter. I turned the fan on in the night just to blow cold frickin air at me. And you know, the thing about a fan that really works is if the room is cold, it's like an air conditioner because a fan's just blowing the air right fair. So a fan in the summer it's not going to do quite as good of a job as a fan in the winter. No, I have the sleep matt. Now that thing's not working right now, but I have the sleep meet anybody listening that also has to sleep me. I can't get that thing to connect to my phone right now. I need Easton to come help me. But it makes the bed cold. I paid top dollar for that thing.
Speaker 1: And you need to figure out how to make it work.
Speaker 2: So my question one thousand dollars. I'm like poor because of that thing, but it was worth it.
Speaker 1: Where are you on your temperature right now? Like is it still fifties? Or do you turn it off when you wave it up?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh oh No, I mean no, I didn't turn the heat on. I just rolled up. No, because I'm wearing a sweater and I'm wearing slippers. If I had the heat on right now, I would be sweating. I would be taking the sweater off. And I so because here's what I allegedly read. And again, thank you for joining us for menopause talk. Guys, thank you so much. I'm sure the Braverman's are going through menopause, so it's all good. I feel like Lauren Graham, so she's of the age. Julie is too young, Monica Potter's too young. Anyway, you were asking me my temperature right now? Yeah, like Fudge, my menopause brain broke.
Speaker 1: And you wear a sweating that you don't turn on the heat if you if I even had.
Speaker 2: A story for you, Budge, this is what happens.
Speaker 1: It's you said when if you were to put on the heater, you'd be speading right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's more and it's gone. It's gone, Mia, it's gone.
Speaker 1: I have where I'm at right now, and it is set to eighty two degrees.
Speaker 2: No, No, mine's never gone above I would never put mine above sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, granted, I'm in my office, is in my garage and there's no insulation.
Speaker 2: So I think I remembered what I was going to tell you. I remember what I was going to tell you this is what I read. See that's menopause. Like you go, what was I saying? And I and the trick has gone your body. This is what I learned about mentop What it is is. What it is is is you can't regulate temperature like you used to be able to, so like your body could adjust faster, like if you were outside in the sun, your body could adjust faster. If I put a sweater on, suddenly my body's like, oh, we're hot, but I can't like regulate it even if it needs it. So then I start sweating. Then I have to take the sweater off. Then I get normal again, and it's time for this. Yeah, it's just a game of like I'm hot, I'm not hot. I'm hot, I'm not hot. Well, I'm gonna have to do some serious meditation because the pregnancy brain, not pregnancy brain, is real, like it's I can still do everything, but like it's just like little things where I'm like, what was I saying? Yeah, I get that if I don't aggressively right now, normal things like if I'm doing work, it's fine, but like if I go, ah, I need to find that bill. If I go do five more things I'll be like, what do I need to do? Find that that? Bill?
Speaker 1: I get that, I get that.
Speaker 2: Allegedly meditation helps, and so bring it out. Where were we?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about since you know who needs to meditate?
Speaker 2: Moncas? What about Sarah Bravery? So the condoms were like a red herring, right she found him. I sort of was like, no, biggie, but it is a biggie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a biggie. But okay, Well, I have a few thoughts on this, speaking of menopause, why does he need condoms?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: Do you like banging thirty year olds or something? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Was that appropriate?
Speaker 2: Oh totally fine, I'm totally good.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know, like, why does a seventy year old man need condoms? Oh, well, you know what, maybe he's protecting him from sexually transmitted to.
Speaker 2: Oh good, call good, call really good, call smart, smart smart. But it was upsetting to learn that Zeke and the wife Bonnie Videlia of her name Camille Camille are having some problems. But I also like that he said to Lauren Graham, don't you don't have to worry about like me and mom?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's like annoying because then all you're doing is worrying about.
Speaker 2: If I were heard, if I was Lauren Graham panic full panic. She handled that so well. It was like, oh, why aren't you panicking?
Speaker 1: For sure? And what do you loveing?
Speaker 2: Just me wanting like people to panic, like panic because I learned like panicking's not going to help the situation. So maybe she's just more evolved.
Speaker 1: But I did. I did feel something off with Zeke from episode one. I don't know if you remember me saying. I was like, there's something sketchy about Zeke. I don't know what it is, but there's something. There's something there.
Speaker 2: It's not sketchy.
Speaker 1: It's not sketchy. Now it's playing off that it's not sketchy, but there is something going on in his line.
Speaker 2: He's yeah, and he's got a lot going on, and he's sort of a rough guy with a softest heart, right, Like he's a little gruff, right, but he also so much. You know, they're family, they're like this family Hanks, right. They have a lot of meals, a lot of everything together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of pool days, no for sure, and she seeks in the car.
Speaker 2: The car was hard to part with she got the new car.
Speaker 1: Which I thought was sweet. She was like, you know, Amber said her first word in there. No.
Speaker 2: I also like that. The mom's like, we want to buy you a car and she's like no, although she should have just been like, that's so nice. I'm you know, I'm gonna come back. I'm having a rough go right now, poor Sarah. Because the siblings are successful, right, you can argue who do you think is more successful, Julia or Adam. I'd say it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Neck and neck probably Julia.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean they're successful.
Speaker 1: Although Adam can't afford anything, it seems right.
Speaker 2: He can do any school, whatever it is. And Crosby isn't. He's not the same as the sibling. But he's not struggling. He's making money. He's got that little dope house and SAUCILYO wherever that is dope. I said, dope, you're not said okah. On nine two oh the other show I do, I said something that is whack and Jenny Garth goes, when was whack cool? And I said any day now, same with dope.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Crosby, Crosby and Jabbar are really cute right now, I you know, and I found that to be really interesting where he was like, at what point do you does it click? At what point are you like, Oh, this is my son, you know. And I found that to be really really interesting storyline and conversation and you can tell that he hasn't found a connection with him yet until the very end when Jabbar gives him the what was that thing on like the sound mixer soundboard like a little bike you or whatever, and he looked at him. And so the story is Jabbar during a studio session, like was messing with the soundboard and broke off a piece and at the end, Jabbar goes, you know, here's the piece, and he looked at him. He's like, did you run away because you broke it? That is exactly what I would have done. And then you see like a slight little click and then he's like he was scratching his head after and I'm like, oh, okay, he's he's starting to bond with him.
Speaker 2: And I found it sure, yeah, and I thought it was it was an ouch painful when he says to the girlfriend, oh, this front desk Kid's front desk's kid. They want me to watch him, and you see Jabbar's face and it's like, but I loved when he's like, no, don't give him the.
Speaker 1: Milk because he threw up the chocolate.
Speaker 2: I know why my mom doesn't let me chocolate. Like, it's just a good that kid's adorable. I like that they're not trying to make Crosby and Joy Bryant happen yet, that it's really just about the kid.
Speaker 1: Oh you said yet, so it happens.
Speaker 2: If you look at the opening credits, they're arm in arm. So it's like, I'm not saying what's gonna happen. I'm just saying they're really focused on the kid, and I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the one thing that we will say right now, like before you even said that, I'm like Crosby and this girlfriend he has ain't happening. That's gonna go in the water anytime soon, I'll say, Julia, and oh gosh, what is Joel? Julia and Joel. I feel like they had I go back and forth that they're gonna make it. I feel like right now they're on two different pages, and their parenting styles are two different parentings styles, which can be hard, can be hard to manage and navigate. So I don't know, but I do I do see outside of being parents that the two of them as a couple are strong. I don't know. I don't know. It's one of those that like I like.
Speaker 2: That you're asking the questions. I just like that you're asking the question.
Speaker 1: If he has an affair with tramp stamp girl. I'm going to throw a rock at my screen. I'm going to be so upset. I'll just see, Oh I.
Speaker 2: Hate No, I'm not and I can't. I'm going to be honest. I saw the whole show once.
Speaker 1: But it's hard to remember a little piece, right.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I know certain things. Let me tell you. I do not forget the end of the series though. Oh so five years from now. But it's great, so good. What else did we want to talk about? I think we've covered a lot of the show. Yeah, we really good.
Speaker 1: The storylines, the two the two things. At the very end, we find out Max gets into the school, which we kind of briefly talked about, and then Sarah shows up at Jim's house and you can tell she's like sorry for like calling him nice essentially, and he's like, do you eat lasagna? And she just walks in. Oh, so cute.
Speaker 2: They're great. They're really really great. Like it's a cute little thing they have going. And you know, I'm not saying it's gonna last or not, but it's fun to watch and like he's a good dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see it lasting, but I do like it for right now.
Speaker 2: The whole show is good. I would say I'm getting used to it now, right, so like number three is as good as number two. Number one really stands out, but now I'm just they're cruising, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're cruising and we're you know what's crazy about this show is we're three episodes in. I feel like we're a whole season in. I feel like I'm in it with the family under I get the dynamic and like it doesn't feel like it's a brand new show. It just doesn't.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. And also I'm in. I feel like I know I'm in.
Speaker 1: I'm in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always struggled to find an audience because.
Speaker 1: That is insanity. That is insanity, but.
Speaker 2: It's but it is like it's it's not a light romp, right, it's not a thirty one network. Definitely NBC.
Speaker 1: It was NBC.
Speaker 2: This is Ussy before this is Us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that that's I was like, maybe it just wasn't marketed well or put on the right network, but no, it's it's in its right home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. I don't know it just I don't know why it never became like r you know, like those type of shows are just massive West wing, but uh, it is very this is ussy with a little less sad.
Speaker 1: It's a little Yeah, there's more levity to do this show than this is us. This is us. Oh cut me to my core in the best way possible. But it's great. Well would you rate it?
Speaker 2: Do we rate it?
Speaker 1: We do?
Speaker 2: Oh? Nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have not scored lower than a nine to five in this entire series so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I gave nine, but I gave the pilot of ten. There'll be tens again. For me, it's great. It's just great, great, great, great parenting stuff, great lessons lots like you you really take stuff from it. You're like, yeah, might need to apply that to my own life. Might need to do that. Like they're just great people.
Speaker 1: I love them guys. Well, parenthood out everybody'll forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com,